Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna 2004+

1515253545557»

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Not entirely ridiculous..

A FWD vehicle with TC, Traction Control, driven continuously for some distance on a slippery surface by an inexperienced or otherwise unknowledgeable driver might very well result in a severely overheated transaxle.

I suspect that if one drove say, 5 miles, uphill yet, on a LOW traction surface, with TC "rattling" continuously and the engine dethrottled accordingly, you might very well need an appointment with a mechanic afterwards.

Does the owners manual give and warning or caution against this, if not it certainly should.
  • caravan2caravan2 Member Posts: 198
    Where did you get this information :confuse:

On a snowy/slippery surface, this could happen a lot. It is hard to believe that there is no protection built-in the transmission if this could happen when TC is engaged.... worst it should shut itself off if it is engage for a longer period of time. TC is managed by on-board computer and this is very easy to program.....

Having said that... I think TC could not cause this kind of damage if working as it is suppose to....
    Okay, example, I'm trying to drive up a fairly steep and very slippery incline, one for which it is KNOWN that given the circumstances, traction, vehicle weight, etc, it cannot be done absent studs or chains.

But our driver is ignorant of all that and just keep on trying to get up that incline.

What do you think TC would do in that case if it remained enabled?

Personally I would argue that the ABS pumpmotor might begin to overheat and be timed out and now we have a totally inexperienced driver trying to use WOT to climb the incline.

Either way you stand a good chance of TOASTING an automatic transmission.

By the way, the absolute best way one could implement traction control would be to depress the level of engine torque available at each "excursion" into TC's brake activation.

After a few cycles the engine torque would be limited to a level just below, or at, the point of not having enough to break traction.

Automatic "feathering" of the throttle.
  • oneonta62oneonta62 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your message. Could you please be more specific? I do not understand the abbreviations in your message (for example, TC ABS etc.). Is it possible to explain it with a simpler language?
    Your time is very much appreciated.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    TC = Traction Control

ABS = Anti-Lock Braking System

Hadn't thought of that. I guess driving an AWD with snow tires does that to you. :D

Any how, I kinda doubt that's very likely, unless the driver really didn't know what they were doing.

-juice
    Sorry, sadly, these days most drivers don't, and it seems to get worse every year.

Snow tires alleviates the need for knowing how to feather the throttle to get going on a slippery surface?

50 years of driving and I didn't know that.

While it remains best in all cases I thought that, no need for throttle "feathering", really only applied with studs or chains.
    You don't floor it, but beyond that with snow tires you just drive slow and smooth, and you're good. No special techniques required.

-juice
  • roman7roman7 Member Posts: 15
    I have a question: how to reprogramme lock doors on Sienna 2004?
    I have locked those when shift a transmission. I would like to have locks are open when shift a transmission.
    Tere's nothing about in manual books!
    Any help will be appreciate! :)
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2004 Limited and I had the dealer program the locks before I picked up the van. When you put the shifter in park the doors unlock and when you put it in drive they lock. I don't know how or if you can do it yourself - if not next time you take it in for service, maybe they would do it for you. Good luck.
    "..drive slow and smooth,.."

Sorry, but from what I observed during our last snow and ice storm here in the Seattle area it is a rare driver, even with "proper tires" that knows to drive "slow and smooth" on the slippery stuff.

Doesn't "rare" equate to "special technique"?
    I'll tell you what doesn't equate - the TL driver that got stuck on my block going up a very minor incline. Pathetic. FWD and traction control and still couldn't move.

Performance tires, is my guess.

I guess the most important decision of all is the one not to leave the house when you don't have the proper tires.

-juice
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I have a question: how to reprogramme lock doors on Sienna 2004 ... I would like to have locks are open when shift a transmission.

I had a 2004 and now have a 2006 - I didn't realize you could program the locks on an '04 - maybe you have a higher model than I (XLE). On my '06 Ltd, here is how I recall setting the doors to unlock when shifting into park. It is in the manual, so I'd check that b/c I don't trust my memory 100%. :blush:

1. put car in "park"
    2. turn car off;
    3. turn ignition key to the "on" position (you'll be able to raise and lower the windows, use the radio, the warning lights will light up, but the car won't start);
    4. within 10 sec.s of step 3, push the "unlock" button and hold it for 6 sec.s, then release.

If the programming "worked," the car will automatically lock the doors and unlock them after you release the unlock button in step 6.

Personally, I prefer the doors to lock after I'm travelling 15 mph and to unlock only after I turn off the engine and opent eh driver door... :)
  • pushanpushan Member Posts: 15
    I have 2004 Sienna XLE with 40K miles on it. Recently, I noticed that there is kind of rubbing noise coming from the front end at low speeds- I suspect it is from wheels. I went ahead and changed front tires but the problem did not go away.

Can someone suggest what to look for? Will alignment, brake, or suspension create rubbing noise?
    Perhaps one of the mud shields is misaligned, or some debris knocked it loose?

-juice
  • gmoore2gmoore2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Sienna and am experiencing a transmission hesitation while starting from a rollong stop or doing a merge. Does anyone know if there is a software upgrade for the transmission? Dealer thinks its an emission problem?
  • jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    I am getting a Limited Sienna to be built March 19th. Does anyone know where the new Siennas are built in the US?
  • msm20032003msm20032003 Member Posts: 7
    They are built at the Princeton, Indiana plant.
  • krimamkrimam Member Posts: 3
    I am having tough time to make univaersal garge door opener to work for my garage on my brand new 2007 SIENNA LIMITED FWD.

Does any one have any recommendations?
    Yes, read the ENTIRE instructions before beginning, the next page or two.
  • colombcolomb Member Posts: 2
    Just got a Sienna 2004 XLE Limited but found no owner's manual, would anybody here know how I could get one? I searched online but found nothing. I need the instructions of programming the garage opener badly. Thanks.
    I would return to the dealer. They owe it to you. Let them know you just got the survey and will wait to fill it out until you get the manual (that'll get them motivated).
  • colombcolomb Member Posts: 2
    I got the car from my friend but not a dealer. I mean if there is any way to get a manual from a website for free. Thanks.
  • gamma_raygamma_ray Member Posts: 3
    Colomb,

I have an electronic copy of the 2004 Sienna Manual. I cannot see any way to attach files to this forum. Is there a way to place files in the profiles section?

If you still need one, post your email address and I can send it.

Gamma
  • barneymbarneym Member Posts: 32
    I have been looking to buy a loaded Sienna Limited AWD and my search has concluded that there are simply no 2007's left in my very extended area. So am I anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 2008's which kind of stinks since I will be forgoing the rebate and slashed clearance pricing :cry: . I also have a personal deadline of purchasing this by early to mid-September (new baby on the way) which is when rumor has said the first new vans will be hitting the lots.

I am sure I am not the only one who is in this situation so I was thinking of gathering us into a Buying Group so we could attempt better pricing by dangling a volume purchase in front of some dealers.

I am looking for people who are within 100 or so miles of Boston, MA and are looking to purchase a Toyota Sienna Limited AWD or FWD with the 2008 equivalents of Package #2/3 (2 for AWD/ 3 for FWD) and #4 and want to take delivery in the first half of September. Please be a cash or credit-worthy buyer. I would hate to gather a group of people, get into negotiations, and then have the deal sabotaged by someone not getting approved for financing.

If you are interested in being part of this buying group, please contact me. I put together a special email for this: iwantasienna@gmail.com. :shades:
    At least the 08s get Bluetooth.
  • bbeaubebbeaube Member Posts: 1
    Gamma - If you have an electronic copy of the 2004 Sienna Owner's Manual that you can email to me, I would really appreciate it. My email is bbeaube@maynardcooper.com. Thanks!
  • avolkertavolkert Member Posts: 1
    I have children who often leave a sliding door open which keeps all interior lights on and runs down the battery. Is there any way to program the interior lights on my 2004 Sienna XLE Limited to go off after an hour or less? Thanks, Adam
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Not that I know of. This is one area that Toyota has not kept up on - Ford has had a power/saver module on their cars for years now, that turns things off after 10 minutes unattended or unused, to save your battery. When you turn on the car, it all comes back on. Even my 05 LExus doesn't do this - odd, but true.
  • pochopocho Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Is there a way to get an electronic copy for the owner's manual for a 2006 Sienna XLE ?. I just bought it but notice the manual was not in there and red similar cases in here. If anyone have it available please send it to the following email address: elygiron@yahoo.com I would really appreciate it
    Why not ask the dealer to provide one? They should.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Bet you can find one on e-bay for practically nothing....
  • dtestindtestin Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out anything about your rear heat in your 2004 Toyota Sienna? Our rear heat doesn't work but it took me a long time to notice since Nashville isn't that cold. Thanks, Dave
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    Ours works great, it pumps out serious heat. It has gotten in the upper 20s here and the Sienna warms up fast. You should have it looked at. But you may just need to run it on full blast maximum temp for a few minutes.
  • dtestindtestin Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a procedure on bleeding the air from the rear heating system? Thanks, Dave
  • semenzatosemenzato Member Posts: 41
    I have heard that the various Sienna models are shipped to dealers with a limited choice of packages. Does anybody know what these packages are? I suppose they can vary by region, in which case I am particularly interested in the SF Bay Area (and in the XLE and Limited).

I also imagine that one should be able to order a Sienna with any specific set of packages (subject to package dependencies as described by Toyota). In that case, does anybody know how long it takes from ordering to having the vehicle delivered?

Thanks much
    Luigi
  • pushanpushan Member Posts: 15
    Well, the noise got louder and I took it to the dealer. The front Left hand wheel bearing was bad and had to be replaced.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    the awd comes with runflat tires, they are the pits can't be fixed and are $$$$ i guess you could carry a donut type spare and use regular allseason tires just be careful perhaps buy some spares. check out the prices for that size runflat tire. i will not buy a car with runflats
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    what's the easiest way to hard wire my ipod
    my wife has a DLO fm transmitter that is just wonderful for HER car, with the way the cig lighter adapter is set up it puts this transmitter too low. i want a hard wire solution...does toyota make one or do i go after market??
    "...doughnut type spare..."

You would need to disable ABS/VSC/TC/etc, etc, should you mount the spare.
    My 2007 has an aux input, I guess you have an earlier model?
  • gklumgklum Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Sienna with a factory installed DVD player that runs warm to hot. DVD's are "baked" after I eject them (even in the winter). Anyone notice this with their DVD players too?
  • julbjulb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna LE AWD with manual air conditioning. We drove from -2 degrees F in Canada to Texas 75 degrees F and noticed our air conditioner did not blow cool air. All fuses have been checked, the air conditioning worked when connected directly to the battery, the A/C button's light came on when pressed but not the compressor. A blog suggested an open interior temp sensor located somewhere above a driver's right knee and below a window vane (?) Would someone please elaborate on the location of the sensor, what it looks like and how it can be changed. Thanks
    Jul
    With that A/C indicator on the compressor should run unless...

The refrigerant pressure is too high...(not likely)
    The refrigerant pressure is too low....(needs charging)
    The OAT is below freezing or closely nearby (or an open OAT sensor)
    Throttle is wide open.
    The drive belt if slipping.
This discussion has been closed.