Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Bosch Platinum Spark plugs, OK to use??

logram2logram2 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
I know that the book sez to use Volkswagen parts, but I would like to try Bosch Platinum spark plugs. Any feedback?? Thanks in advance...Joe

Comments

• logram2logram2 Member Posts: 3
    Is it best to remove the air intake manifold on the 2.0 liter to change plugs? #2 and #3 look a little tight to get at. Would I have to replace manifold gaskets if I removed same? Also, is there a "special" plug boot puller I would have to buy?? I've never seen this kind of plug wire boot before. Thanks in advance...Joe
  • logram2logram2 Member Posts: 3
    Check engine light came on because of a fouled spark plug. Can I clear the code and turn off this light by disconecting the battery cables?? I don't want to pay $35.00 to have it done by an "expert" at the shop.
    Thanks in advance...Joe
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    you don't want to use crud plugs that break into dust. fortunately, best of my knowledge, there aren't any.

the manual recommends VW plugs because it keeps the profits up. any good standard plug will hold up and do fine, as long as it is the correct plug for that car (temp range, plug depth, etc.)

for all we know, VW plugs are made by Bosch.

in any event, the bosch plug that is recommended for your VW engine is not going to disintegate and kill the engine, and being a good product, should give good service.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Autolite and Champion have given me many years of excellent service in many vehicles. I don't hesitate to use these two brands in place of vehicle manufacturers' recommended plug brands.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Bosch also happens to be one of the major suppliers for VW. Factory VW plugs are Bosch anyway
    ...to use Bosch plugs. I have used them in the past, and never had a problem. In the event the result is not to your liking, you just wrench in a set of some other brand. If you use the plug number that the plug manufacturer says to use for your application, it's hard to imagine a scenario where you really regret the experiment.
  • zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    I've used the Bosch Plats in Nissans for years, I've not heard of any problems with them for other folks. Only plugs I have heard of problems were the splitfires, and that may be individual cases only, not sure. The benefit of platinum is that it does not wear down fast from heat erosion, therefore the gap stays constant...you mainly have to make sure you have the correct heat range plug, but that applies to any brand.
    used to effect in cat converters and in gasoline refining, among other things, and I strongly suspect the platinum tip also stays cleaner longer because carbon won't settle on it.
  • jc1973jc1973 Member Posts: 63
    CAN U BELIEVE MY 96 GRAND AM HAS THE ORIGINAL AC DELCO PLATINUM PLUGS WITH 112000 MILES
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    that's nothing to brag about. How's the air filter and fuel filter? Original, too?
    jc1973: Is that a GM sideways V6? I've heard tales of extreme exasperation about trying to change plugs in the rear bank on some of those. Is that why you have not done it?
    after a while, there's enough rust between the plug and the block to weld 'em in. if you haven't had 'em changed, take it to a professional when it's time, because they might have to drill some out and heli-coil them.
  • jc1973jc1973 Member Posts: 63
    NO I RECENTLY BOUGHT THE THE CAR IT,S A3.1 V6 IH HAD ORIGANAL FUEL FILTER AIR FILTER WAS NOT ORIGANIL BUT COMPLETLY BLACK OIL HAD NOT BEEN CHANGED IN ALMOST 20000 MILES BUT BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT DOES NOT RUN BAD
    Omygosh.

Change the danged thing already!
    you should see nipponoly's take on fuel filters...he believes that Toyota fuel filters are a lifetime filter that never requires replacement.

Filter is a filter...it's gonna clog sooner or later
    but they still need to be replaced!!
    I changed out the fuel filter on my Pathfinder. It was the OEM Nissan unit that came with the vehicle a bit over 53K ago. I used a Fram made in Israel to replace it. Later, I cut the can on the original and dried out the filtration element. As I suspected would be the case, the media seemed quite dark and opaque with particulates. If you know where the fuel filter on a 1998 Pathfinder is located, you'll better understand why the original was left undisturbed for so long!
    like the camry having them beneath the air box? And having the flare nuts on so tight?
This discussion has been closed.