Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Navigation GPS Systems

auto_4saleauto_4sale Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in General
Has anyone heard of a navigation system or GPS that works in a 2001 Civic EX?

Comments

• dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    I have a delorme GPS receiver and a laptop. I have the DC to AC adapter running the laptop. if you want the JDM OEM look, try to find a navi system from a acura, it will be a direct fit. you can also go aftermarket, try www.crutchfield.com I have a coupon for $20 off from them if you are interested
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I have a laptop that I plan to use as a navigation system in a 2002 Taurus that has a single disk CD player and no cassette.
    If it had a cassette, I would just get a cassette adapter to run the audio from the laptop, but that is not an option. I also heard that there are FM transmitters than could be used, but they work poorly.
    Someone said there is some way to tap into the unused factory CD changer input so I could connect the laptop or even a MP3 player and get full fidelity.
    Anyone have an idea how this could be done?
    It would be really cool to use the laptop to play MP3s and also simultaneously hear the navigation commands if that software was running at the same time.
  • mdsupercoopermdsupercooper Member Posts: 11
    You're in luck. There is a way to hook into your car's AUX input that will result in incredible sound without having to buy an aftermarket head unit. Soundgate makes a product for 1995+ Ford vehicles that enable you to hook up your laptop, or a sirius satellite radio controller or even a cd changer to your factory radio. Check it out.
    http://www.soundgate.com/products/aux-in/ford.htm# for the aux in.

http://www.soundgate.com/products/cd/ford.htm for the cd changer

Find a dealer near on on their website and have them install the module. Let me know if I can be of further help. Good luck
  • texasbeasttexasbeast Member Posts: 5
    My fave is the Garmin StreetPilot III ColorMap, reviewed here <http://gpsinformation.net/spiii/sp3review.htm>. Full color, completely routable, full USA City Navigator detailed street map CD for most major metro areas + internal rural Base Maps, uses small-to-large memory chips, and it talks. Comes with its own separate speaker unit that plugs into your DC socket, and there're several optional combined power/data cables available for it. Costs about $800, more or less. Got mine on sale for $750 from GPS Now!!!.

I'd rather leave the car's speakers for music, or leave them silent. It's creapy hearing "Turn here" in stereo!!!

Good list of GPS vendors <http://gpsinformation.net/banners.htm>.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I just got one of these over the winter and tried it out on a trip last month.

The Good - nice colour maps
             - nice to be able to load detailed maps on your planned route
             - the beanbag mount works very well and makes it easy to adjust the unit

The Bad - still has bugs in the software (hangs when you get near the loaded files edge and doesn't use the base map when you get to the detailed map area, even though the detailed map didn't have the major highways - BC Canada)
            - compared to my GPS III+ very poor receiver in this unit - lost sats. in locations the III+ works fine
            - is rather large on the dash
            - the III+ allows changing the things displayed on the side of the screen - couldn't see anyware how to do this on the Streetpilot III (I like to see altitude, trip distance, avg. speed, current speed, and time/date)

Overall, I give it a C-. For the money, I think I'd recommend checking out the GPS V. It is practial for handheld use as well and has most of the features of the Streetpilot III.
    Here is something newer:
    http://www.navmanusa.com/land/icn630/index.html
    Maybe it will work better than Streetpilot III.
    Has anyone tried this one?
  • texasbeasttexasbeast Member Posts: 5
    As with everything, YMMV (your mileage may vary), I guess. Mine has been outstanding on Texas road trips, and one trip to relatives in Alabama, and one to New Mexico. Very few hang-up glitches ever, with these particular maps. I'm a ham radio operator, so I preemptively rigged a special antenna for my unit, and I've never noticed any significant loss of satellite coverage. The thing eats batteries like the Cookie Monster does cookies, color screen and talking voice and all, so I only use it plugged in. (I carry a more efficient, but much-less-powerful Garmin eTrex Vista for non-wheeled unplugged adventures.) And as far as the chunky size--yeah, well, this is *Texas*, and I drive a Dodge Ram MaxiWagon 15-person van, so that big box on the dash is right at home here! Ha ha!

Both being Garmin products, I can use the same media for this and my Vista when on foot. (It gets to be a real pain to have to have totally different media for all your different GPS hardware.) I have the internal built-in base maps for both, plus the detailed CityNavigator that came with the SPIII, and a Garmin topo disc for use with my eTrex when hiking. The little eTrex only has 24 MB of memory, so you have to reprogram it occasionally, but programming is actually kind of fun, so overall this works well for me.

One thing I saw some search-and-rescue guys do was to install a dedicated 8"-ish LCD screen on top of the dash that they could plug the GPS unit into. Swivels and tilts on a little pedestal. This gives the driver and navigator a much easier-on-the-eyes monitor than that puny little 3" deal on the unit itself. You and I may have a little difficulty explaining that monitor being up front near the driver to a cop ("Sir, were you watching TV while driving down the road? Was that why you were speeding and weaving like that?"), but it works well for those who need it in their line of work. A liability insurance-wise, but it sure is a lot easier to see while driving down the road than a handheld or even an in-dash unit.
    Going on a trip to Malaysia, Thailand, and Japan. Just bought the Garmin Mapsource Worldmap to use with my GPS III+. When I installed it the program immediatly recognized the Streetpilot Citynavigator install and piggybacked on to it. Very clever. Only have to run one program for two different GPS' (both Garmin, of course). The Streetpilot can't use the worldmap data and the GPS III+ can't use the Citynavigator data, but at least I only have one install to worry about. The program keeps the data on the correct device. The maps look pretty good (better than what I've been able to find on the internet). We'll see how often we get lost next month, but as it's a vacation getting lost is just more adventure ;-).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    How far behind will cars be?

The Sky's the Limit (Fast Company)

Steve, Host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anything new for Fall?

Steve, Host
    I got an e-mail from Delorme that they have improved their receiver. The new one is much smaller and only needs 5 seconds to warm up. Big improvment over the older version.

Does that constitute "New for Fall"
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    do you have the current delorme software and receiver?

I'm having trouble with mine. Its incredibly annoying to plan routes with. I sit here at my desk and try to navigate the map and it keeps beeping every 10 seconds or so and shifts the view on the map to another part of the state (different every time). Really wish I hadn't bought this thing. very frustrating.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Has anyone seen/used the new Garmin iQue3600 PDA/GPS? (www.garmin.com/que) It came out last month and I am curious if anyone has any opinion on it.

Mark
    It seems like you have "auto paning" enabled. I was not able to get GPS to work at home.

The only beef I have with the current version of the mapping software is that whenever i veer off route the very annoying voice keeps saying "off route, off route..." and does not recalculate. I have to restart the software to get rid of the bug. Another issue with Delorme is that you HAVE to use Delorme software. I have tried using MS trips and tips, but Delorme receiver has a chip that disables NEMA communications with programs other than Delorme.
    I am will be checking out Rand McNally and eTrecks as the upgrade.
    i'll have to check that out. I thought it might be that auto-centering feature, but I disabled that and still no go. I'll have to find auto-panning.

you'll have to let me know if any other software works. That would be great.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

This software really annoys me. So, anyway, I did have the auto-recenter box unchecked because that was one of the things I tried to stop this automatic moving of the map. Of course, the problem still exists. So now I've gone and unchecked EVERY auto option on the GPS tab. This thing continues to beep and change where the screen is centered on the map. I don't even have to do anything. I can just sit there, not touch the mouse or keyboard, and it will continue to beep and shift the view every couple of seconds. So frustrating!

Try running the software with the GPS receiver disconnected. Like I said, I could never get a location fix indoors.
    I would suggest you call Delorme's tech support and see what they come up with. You may be required to un-install it, restart, install, restart and see if it helped.
  • amheckamheck Member Posts: 37
    There seems to be a new version out this fall.
    http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610_2650/index.jsp

Anyone have any experience with these yet?

Aaron
  • cxxviiicxxviii Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to get my wife a GPS for XMas. I am looking for something that mounts in the minivan, is easy/safe to use (voice direction), has very up-to-date maps for an area that is constantly under construction (DC, MD, Northern VA), and is reasonably priced.

My simple research seems to say I should get either the Magellan 500, or Garmin Streetpilot III or GPS V?

Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated. Are there other features that are "must haves"?
    Have a look at the Garmin "IMAP". Bigger screen than the Streetpilot III and GPS V, and adding memory doesn't require you to pay the high prices Garmin demands for their proprietary modules - the IMAP uses standard memory. Bonus, it's also a PDA. Seems to use the same map files. Garmin has been updating their map files about every 6 months.
  • mapegmapeg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 RL and love it!! I sell Real Estate so the Navigation System has been a Godsend. Unfortunately, the screen started blinking a couple of week ago then went black. I still get voice, and the touch pad seems to be working even though I can't see what I am touching. I brought it to the dealer and am told I need a new screen to the tune of over $2000.
    I am so spoiled by the Navigation System that I have to get it fixed but it seems like everything is working except the light. Has anyone encountered this problem and if so is there a less expensive fix?
    I would sure appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks
    Dotti,
    Massachusetts
    dotti@santomarcore.com
    Dotti-

For roughly the same $$ you can get a brand new aftermarket system. Maybe that would be wiser?

Mark
    It is a losing battle. If you spend $2000 to fix it, you will never recover the money and other things will go wrong with the car over time.
    If you install an aftermarket navigation system in an RL, future buyers will complain.
    Better off dumping the car and getting a new one with warranty. The new TL has a great new navigation system with more features than that RL. You could also look at the Acura MDX and Lexus RX330. Those are great for real estate agents to tote clients around in.
  • ahaymdahaymd Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone out there know if you can buy a navigation system and add it to a car. I wanted a navigation system but did not have the extra $2,000. I wonder if you can buy one, i.e. buying DVD system from Best Buy and installing it to a car, in order to save money and upgrade if necessary. Any suggestions, who to contact? Can you buy a system and attach it to your car, and maybe if carry it with you are walking. Thanks.
    You can get an in-dash nav system aftermarket. Aiwa makes one and I believe so does Kenwood, and I'm sure there are more. Check out Crutchfield or your local electronics store.

as far as one that you can take with you, read the rest of the messages on this board.

Also Garmin http://www.garmin.com/ They have several that are very nice.
  • sledsfosledsfo Member Posts: 17
    I too am trying to decide between Garmin's Street PilotIII and the Magellan 500 but have not seen any comparisons on the net. I am very familiar with and like the GPS which Hertz uses.
    I understand these are Magellan 750-based systems which I think is the next model higher to the 500. Costco sells the Magellan for $899 and the Garmin for $699 so unless there are people who can share their experiences with both of them, I guess one way to go is try both of them using Costco's liberal return policy and return one.
    I did some further research on the Web and it seems that these two units are market positioned against each other. The recently released Roadmate 500 has gotten mostly rave reviews from 11 consumers posting at Amazon. Detailed specs and comparisons of the two units can be found at http://www.autonav2000.com. I am inclined to order and test the Roadmate first because of its superior graphics and display, better audio prompts (similar to the Hertz Neverlost system), and because it is WAAS enabled. WAAS allows the GPS sensor to pinpoint location to within 9 feet as opposed to the 30 feet accuracy in none WAAS enabled systems. Hope this helps others considering aftermarket NAV systems cheaper than the $2000 built-in NAVs offered as car options.
    I am the first person to think of this.

One thing manufacturers should add to future built-in nav systems is a heads up display that can project, at the very least, information about the the next turn on to the windshield.
    I can have an arrow pointing which way to turn, the name of the street and the distance ahead (if not a complete mirror of all the info on the main screen).
    A couple of good sites for info on portable GPS systems are: http://gpsexplorer.com and
     http://gpsinformation.net/

Both give reviews; gpsinformation gives links to several vendors.

Mark
  • berry22192berry22192 Member Posts: 5
    Would anyone know how I can determine what makes/models offer Navigation Systems? Ideally, I'd like to find a tool that would allow me to check the options I want then provide a list of cars that offer those options. Thanks.
  • nv32nv32 Member Posts: 35
    I, for one don't know of any tool like that, and it sure would be useful. Edmunds.com could do it I bet.

As far as navigation systems specifically, I think that virtually every maker has at least one model that has navigation as an option.

Better to ask, I think, which is the better navigation system[s]. This seems to be the consensus from what I and JP Powers have picked up: Alpine, Xanavi and Denso are evidently the best brands. Alpine is used by Acura and probably Honda, and maybe some others. Xanavi, so far as I know, is used only in Nissan and Infinity. Denso is used in Lexus and probably Toyota, and maybe others.

Some of the features that you might want to look for, they say, are: voice (will it give verbal directions, and can you give it voice commands?), the so-called bird's eye view together with (but only one at a time) the regular flat map view, touch-screen rather than joystick, and number of points of interest included in the system (which seem to range up to about 10 million for the best systems).

Another thing is whether Navitech, who makes the actual maps for all systems I've heard, has finally mapped the smaller cities and towns in the U.S., not to mention Canada.

There are updated DVDs that you can buy, about once a year I think, which reflect the additional mapping done if you're not satisfied with the DVD that comes with the car.

Hope this helps.
    I think you might find the answers to your questions at the following links:

-which cars offers which NAV systems:

http://www.autonav2000.com/Compare/OEM-sys-vendorlist.pdf

-what features come with which NAV systems:

http://www.autonav2000.com/Compare/Compare2.htm

Good luck!
    It is an incomplete list. Right away, I noticed it didn't even include the Honda Accord, so I wonder which other cars are also missing?
    Didn't realize the Infiniti I35 had a CD-based system.
    I think the chart isn't updated but its the best one I've found on the net so far. Let me know you find a better one.

I've seen and tested the 2004 Accord NAV. Its on par with the 2004 MDX NAV and should be considering its Honda top of the line sedan. Its got the same size screen, voice activation, 12 million POI, etc. Its improved from the 2003 Accord NAV. As to why Honda didn't put the same system on the their top of the line SUV, beats me except they make more money by including an older Alpine gps and old mapping/POI database.
  • swingerjayswingerjay Member Posts: 22
    I have just compiled this. If you or others have later info please post. I used Feb 2004 ConsumerGuide Car & Truck Test; Buying Guide 2004. I do not claim to cover trucks. I may have missed some special vehicles.

Acura TL
    Buick Rendezvous
    Cadillac CTS
    Chrysler 300M
    Chrysler Town & Country
    Ford Expedition
    Honda Accord
    Honda Odyssey
    Honda Pilot
    Infiniti (All)
    Lexus (All)
    Lincoln LS
    Lincoln Navigator
    Mazda 3
    Mercedes Benz (All exc SLK-Class)
    Mini Cooper
    Nissan 350Z
    Nissan Maxima
    Nissan Murano
    Nissan Pathfinder Armada
    Nissan Quest
    Pontiac Vibe
    Porsche (All)
    Toyota 4Runner
    Toyota Avalon
    Toyota Camry
    Toyota Highlander
    Toyota Land Cruiser
    Toyota Matrix
    Toyota Prius
    Toyota Sienna
    Toyota Solara
    Volkswagen Phaeton
    Volkswager Touareg
    Volvo S60
    Volvo S80
    Volvo V70/XC70
    Volvo XC90
    -end-
  • deminindeminin Member Posts: 214
    I am against putting these in cars..at least in their current configurations. I think they have the potential to be far more dangerous to other drivers than cell phones. Can you imagine driving down the interstate at 75MPH while the clown next to you is playing with his nav system and taking his eyes off the road? Or, how about the wizard who runs a red light while he is fiddling with his display?? If manufacturers are going to make these things, they need to incorporate a heads up display, or put the LCD right in the drivers line of sight..not in the middle of the dashboard.
    Presently, auto makers are pushing these things because they are making a ridiculous profit on them. Analyze just what your $2000 is really buying. First, there is a $50 microprocessor, a $30 DVD or CD/rom, a small $85 LCD screen,, and a $150 GPS. For a real cost of 3 to 4 hundred dollars, they can make 400% profit...a wildly good deal for them!
    If I am going on a trip, I can map out my route in advance with my $10 Rand and McNalley computer program, and toss my $5 R and M atlas in the car if I want to take a side trip. If I am going someplace in a strange city, I can map that out in advance using Yahoo or Mapquest. I can see a few specific uses for these systems..the real estate saleslady, for example, but for the vast majority of people, they are just another toy...one that may someday put them in a serious accident.
    You're missing many cars. For starters, you don't list the Acura TSX or any BMWs.
    I thought when I started I would capture names of all of them, but I skipped a bunch as I went along and forgot about that.
    If you drive a 2004 car with a navigation system built-in by the manufacturer, would you please answer until we have the models accounted for which I will list after the question. I am not trying to find this for after-market systems

Q: Can you force your NAV system to follow you without a)prompting, b) guiding, or c) establishing any destinations? Further explanation: this would just be showing the map, just showing where the car is located on the map and allowing you to glance at it to see current location and direction.

Acura TL
    Cadillac CTS
    Honda Accord
    Honda Odyssey
    Infiniti G35
    Lexus ES330
    Toyota Avalon
    Toyota Camry
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Deminin, I agree with your cost breakdown but I don't think Navi systems will be the next hula hoop. I actually think they'll be the next air conditioning or power windows or cruise control, or in other words, a feature that 10 years from now will probably be standard on every car.

Once I tried one I was hooked and came close to buying an Accord just for this feature, but then luckily I stumbled upon these messages that talked about less expensive Navi options, so now that's the direction I'm heading in.

I think that anyone who ever grew up watching Batman, Knight Rider or James Bond movies would go ga-ga over Navi. Talk about the ultimate grown up toy! Like any toy, Navi is fun and cool for the kid in us, but practical for the grown-up who hates asking for directions or thumbing through a road map book. I think it will be that way for at least a few more years until the next gizmo comes a long (anti-gravity cars I hope).

Now I have a question for the board: does anyone know if another company makes something like Honda's voice activation Navi? The idea of just speaking "find me a Chinese restaurant" and having the system come up with the info is just too cool for words.
    Here's another question: a few people mentioned the idea of just buying a laptop or PDA with a built in GPS and Navigation software. Can anyone suggest some specific models & brands for this sort of thing?
    I opted for the laptop and purchased the Delorme software with Earthmate GPS. I've been really disappointed in it. It doesn't automatically reroute (other than to tell you "Off route!" and "Turn back on" followed by the name of the street you are already on). And I have never had it actually take me to the exact location up to this point. So, needless to say, we still use maps and plan our trips ahead of time.

The PDA system I was looking into was the Garmin Ique 3600. It has the built in GPS, and it is a Palm v.5.1(?), so you have the best of both worlds. I ended up going with the Garmin Streetpilot 2610, a stand alone GPS sysytem, as I figured in the long run it will benefit me more.

Mark
  • cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    The Garmin iQue3600 is definitely the best bargain for a beginner GPS driver that wants versatility and convenience. RadioShack carries them and they are on sell for $550. It&#146;s a big purchase, but it is a PDA/GPS & MP3 Player all in one!!! This thing is awesome and the guys at RadioShack were the best. It&#146;s so fun and easy to use. Turn by turn voice guided directions. It&#146;s easy to justify spending that much when you think about how much a PDA, GPS, & Mp3 player would cost separately. Plus, it has Palm OS so it&#146;s a proven product. Garmin is highly recognizable as the leader in the industry. RadioShack has lots of cool GPS products from Garmin AND Magellan. They have the Roadmate on the web with a really cool demo. Go to RadioShack and buy an iQue3600, you won&#146;t be disappointed.
    I know that I went a little RS crazy there for a minute, bu they offered me the best deal & they know thier GPS stuff!!!
    Dont you realize that these systems are like having Yahoo maps or MapQuest in your car, and yes it is illegal to be playing with the GPS while in motion.
    Actually, if you want any of these aftermarket systems shop around. You could get the Ique for around $460-470 online, and the other units are discounted as well. Radio Shack is good for learning, but they charge list.

BTW-the Garmin 2610 prevents you from doing any route changes while the car is in motion. The most you can do is change from map to text.

Mark
    but do you know or trust these little web dealers? My extra $50 I paid to RadioShack made me confident that I chose the right unit and gave me piece of mind.
    Thanks for that Garmin info! If I buy one I would probably get it from Radio Shack because they are one of the stores I like to support. Can you imagine a world where there wasn't a Radio Shack down the street?