Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TOYOTA TUNRA

jkheartsjkhearts Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I AM THINKING OF GETTING A FULL SIZE PICKUP IN
FEB. 2000. I HAVE A 97 TACOMA. I WANT TO KNOW IF
THE TUNRA IS AS GOOD A TRUCK AS THE OTHER TRUCKS
TOYOTA MAKES? WANT TO KNOW THE GOOD AND BAD. ANY
ONE OUT THERE HAVE ONE YET? THANKS JUDY

Comments

• hall2hall2 Member Posts: 40
    Test drive the Tundra first. Then look at the reliability of the Lexus 4.7 V8 engine. That's what's in the Tundra. For the V6, you already have experienced with.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    It's the landcruiser engine. Close to Lexus, but not quite.
  • ericgericg Member Posts: 38
    Are u sure quadrunner500, i have heard that it has a lexus engine.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    If my understanding is correct, the Tundra 4.7L V8, the Landcruiser 4.7L V8, and the Lexus RX470 (SUV) 4.7L V8 are all essentially the same engine, with only minor tuning differences. This engine is derived from the Lexus LS400 and SC400 4.0L V8. From a reliability standpoint, I think that this speaks for itself.
    Okay, I was thinking of the LS400, not the RX470, so I think you are right.
  • ajwolfeajwolfe Member Posts: 1
    The tundra v8 is the same as the landcruiser and lexus rx470 v8 engines. unfortunately, those engines have only been out since 1998 and therefore, there is no real long term reliability information available.
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Anyone know where there are photos of REAL Tundras out there? Looking to see if anyone has put more aggressive wheels/tires on yet. They look a little wimpy stock.
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I previously referred to a Lexus RX470, which is not correct. I should have referred to the Lexus LX470, which is the upscale Toyota Landcruiser twin. Lexus does make an RX model, the RX300, which is the more car-like SUV with the 6 cylinder engine.
  • mbs17mbs17 Member Posts: 10
    look at the bfg ivan stewart trd tundra. it has bfg Ko's and Jaos wheels. www.JAOS.com
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I started looking for a new truck back in January. When I started doing the basic research I was happy to see Toyota was finally coming out with a full size truck. I waited until April and almost put a down payment on a 4x4 without even taking a test drive. To kill time and help my truck fever I test drove the Ford F150, Chevy Silverado and the Dodge Ram. When I finally got the chance to see the Tundra I was very disappointed. I think Toyota could have done much better than this if the would have wanted to. I know Toyota could have included basic options like locking differential, keyless entry, memory seats, auto 4x4 and head rests on the back seats if they wanted to. My question was why did they not include them? The only answer I could come up with is they started with the maximum price they though people would pay for a truck and worked their way back from this number. If all the options that are on the Chevy would have been included on the Tundra the MSRP would have been $40K. I think Toyota's marketing department figured many loyal Toyota fans would over look these details and pay almost $30k for this truck and that these basis options could be added on in future models or when competition forced them to. In the mean time they could rake in a higher profit margin on the first 100,000 trucks sold. After waiting this long to buy a truck (my old Nissan was about ready to die) I decided I could not wait for another year until Toyota got it's act together and ended up buying a 99 Silverado. I am very happy with the truck so far, I have had none of the problems that are being posted - and after 4,000 miles the only problem is a slight stick in the gas pedal until the truck is warmed up and some times a harsh shift from 1-2 when I am in tow haul mode. Last weekend I stopped by a major dealer in Alvin Texas and they sell Toyotas and Chevys side by side so I could see and compare them. The back seat of the Tundra is very cramped,something I did not notice the first time I saw the Tundra - I guess I was used to the cramped back seat of the Nissan. I am now used to the extra room in the Silverado, even my 8 year old son thought the back seat was cramped and he said the seat back is straight up - I like your truck better. The best part is my fully loaded LT 4x4 with every option on the sheet cost $28,200 - which is less than any deal I could have gotten on the Tundra. My advise would be to look at the other brands, at this point the only thing that is full sized about the Tundra is the engine and the price. Maybe in 5-6 years when it is time to trade again I will give Toyota another chance, but only if the fix the many short comings of this truck. Come on Toyota you could have done better!!!
  • eusasceusasc Member Posts: 91
    Most of the things you see as short comings are non issues for others. For instance, how many P/U owners out there even buy 4x4? I know I don't want or need it. Locking Diff? I don't need it. Memory seats? I'm the only one driving my truck, don't want or need it. Back seats cramped? The stuff I throw back in there doesn't complain. I sit in the drivers seat, so I don't care. Keyless entry? Mine came with it. Headrests on the back seats? mine came with them. And all for a lot less then 30K.

Now as for the Chevy, it has the one thing I consider a show stopper. No 4th door, or at least put the 3rd door on the drivers side. What the hell good does it do me on the passengers side?
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    Let's see, I paid $26,216 for my V8 Access Cab 4x4. Mine even came with rear seat headrests. I have to push a button for 4x4...I think I can handle that. I wouldn't take power seats if they were free! Memory seats are even more annoying! I am totally comfortable in my Tundra with the two manual seat adjusters. The ONLY thing I agree with you on is the back seat size. The Chevy's is bigger. However, like eusasc said, my stuff doesn't complain. If I wanted to haul four people, I would have bought a crew cab. I bet I could even get keyless entry and leather added for less than the $2000 difference in price. Even if I couldn't, my Tundra is FAR more refined than any Silverado. Ride quality, acceleration, fit & finish, and engine smoothness are second to NO truck in this class. If your experience with Chevrolet turns out to be anything like mine was, you'll wish you had purchased the Tundra. My two cents.
    I agree that GM screwed up by not having the 4th door - no excuse for that lack of planning, the enginering department should be whipped. I may take a hit when I trade in a few years because by then all trucks will have 4th door. I must have been mixed up about the rear seat headrest, I looked at so many trucks - must have been the Dodge or Ford. I have two kids that ride in the back so that was important to me. In my Nissan they would always bang their heads on the glass when ever I had to turn or stop fast. As far as needing memory seats, tow haul, engine hour meter, auto trac, day time running lights, oil change monitor, memory - power - heated leather seats with integrated seat belts, locking differential, back seat that can carry people without pain and 45 more horse power- I could have gotten by without them and would not have suffered much. But my point was they are not even offered as options by Toyota. I at least had the choice to buy them if they are important to me. I could have bought an LS model without all of these add ons and paid much less (best guess is $22,000. The Tundra model I wanted was the Limited. Could not even find one to look at much less drive. I guess when Toyota calls a model a Limited they mean it literally, or maybe limited accessories available. As far as the Tundra being best in its class I would have to agree with you 100%. The only other truck in its class is the Dodge Dakota. I have owned Toyota before and would again - but only when they give me what I want at a price that is competitive.
    Quad,
    I do NOT need a limited slip differential(My 4-wheel drive works perfectly!). My console and steering wheel has NO vibration(The DISTRIBUTOR added wheels/tires were not balanced properly). My Tundra stops quicker than your Chevy and that is ALL that matters. My Tundra is quicker than your Chevy. Since when has Chevy had an awesome stereo system??? My horn does STINK!!!!! Later.

z71bill,
    I hope you enjoy your Silverado.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    I've had some time to view the topics dedicated to the big 3 brands. I couldn't find any Tundra owners there trying to bash the domestics. Matter of fact, the domestic owners were already complaining about their trucks. Chevy owners wishing they had bought ford. ford owners wishing they had bought dodge and so on. Then I see the same names showing up here...why? I guess if I was unhappy with my truck I might try to knock the other brands, especially the one I should have bought. Seems the only items they can harp on are 1. it's a couple of inches smaller 2. it doesn't have all the useless gadget, gizmos and womanly creature comforts they "need" 2. it doesn't have high tech longer stopping, prone to failure when you need them, abs disc brakes all the way around. 3. it lacks the slower accelerating yet bigger, more gas consuming engine.
    The radio sounded just as good (which isn't spectacular) as the chevy and ford wrecks I test drove (I didn't even consider dodge because of their abysmal reliability) I didn't even need the pwr lock and pwr windows that come standard on the sr5. Oh! I almost forgot the abominable clock. Why, that clock fiasco is right up there with gassing the jews, as far as some of the Tundra bashers are concerned.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I am not here to bash. But you may not want to take the Tundra offroad. I was out in the boonies of the Cascades and saw a Dodge pulling a new Tundra out of a culvert of sorts. Seems as though the rear axle had no traction?? Does the Tundra come with a locker or limited slip??
    That's a good idea! The ONLY way I'd buy a "Chevy" at this time would be if TOYOTA made it.
    rwell, yes I admit I have bashed TACOMA's for their outragous price and have QUESTIONED how Toyota can compare the Tundra to full size trucks. Also hearing about a recall of the Tundra for a possible engine fire due to fuel lines?? The same for the Lexus. I also read a post about the rear main seals of the V8 may be having problems???
    You still failed to answer my question about what kind of rearends Tundra's come with or have??
    Sorry I hurt your feelings, but I did see a Dodge pulling a new Tundra out of a culvert of sorts.
    I think deep inside you are the one with the buyers remorse, you bought a full size wanna be one of the big boys truck.
    Do you own a Dodge? Be honest.
  • kirbytkirbyt Member Posts: 39
    I agree that the Tacomas are totally overpriced to the utility received. At least that's MHO. The Tundra is just a few thousand more for a more practical and worthy truck to honor the Toyota name. While Toyota may say 'Full size' it is stretching it a bit, but the Big 3 are already stretched to the max and getting longer with the crew cabs. The fact is that most of the Tundra owners are quite pleased with their purchase and will be so for quite a long time. It fits their size requirements and most are not demanding the extra interior cab room found in the GMC/Chevy or Dodge. For hauling 4 adults or taking on a heavier load and pulling in comfort and safety the Big 3 will always win, but at a price. Toyota is not offering the 3/4 or 1 ton units, dually's, or other like TRUCKS. They give the public a darn good looking truck that will ride fine and last a long time with any luck. And reliablity is one of the main reason that Toyota owners are loyal to the end.

And I still like the Sierra and will consider buying one because it's the truck I need for MY needs not anyone else. Otherwise with luck it will be a Tundra Limited, because it fits the size requirements for many 1/2 ton truck owners.

Now enjoy that Dodge or whatever you own and let the Tundra owners do their 'thing'.

Truckless for a while longer.
  • mhill5mhill5 Member Posts: 37
    Tell me, how does your truck have 45 more h.p. than my Tundra? If it does, it's not stock.

Before I say it, I know what your comeback response will be. Regardless; don't compare your 5.3L Chevy to the Tundra's 4.7L. If Toyota did make a V8 of equal or higher displacement, I know that it would be rated higher than the Chevy. Toyota already makes a 4.0L V8 300 h.p. engine in the Lexus GS400. Why couldn't they top that mark in a 5.3L Tundra version?

Now, if you don't mind, follow the advice of others here (like rwellbaum2) and go to your own appropriate topic and leave this to the Tundra people. I'm glad you have something different than a Tundra!
    The 45 was a typo - should be 25. Even though I have a Silverado I can subtract 245 from 270 (with a calculator!!) but my typing skills are not so great.
    I should also admit my comment to rwellbaum2 about his head being in his butt was out of line, just because I do not agree with him - does not mean his head is in his butt- I am sorry for that..

The reason I am in the Tundra topic - I like trucks - I have said it before- will say it again - I do not hate Toyota - have owned before and most likely will buy again. I do not get caught up in this brand loyalty thing. Ever vehicle I have ever owned had some problem, they are machines and they wear out. My lack of brand loyalty may be hard for some to understand but it is the truth... well except for Dodge, even I have to draw the line somewhere. I still wear my Toyota TRD cap - not because it says Toyota on it but because it feels comfortable. (wife calls it my TURD cap)

And finally EUSASC - if you don't want a 4x4 that is fine with me, in reality I don't need one either, when I lived in Minnesota it was nice to have, lots of fun in the snow, but even then I could have gotten by without it. I have lots of things because I want them - not because I need them -

Hope you all enjoy your trucks - I am........
    No, the Tundra does not come with a locker or limited slip differential. Your original question has now been answered.
    Ok Homer, my point about the 4.0L/300h.p. was a statement that they COULD make a larger displacement than the 4.7 and get equal or better h.p. than your 5.3 Chevy.

Now I can make the same comment about Chevy not putting their best foot forward, too! The 5.7L in the Corvette makes 345 h.p. By using your logic, your 5.3 should make 306.5 h.p. instead of 270. FYI, my Tundra makes more h.p./liter than your Chevy (52.1 vs 50.9).

You should complain to GM about this!
    Then you see my point that issues regarding the 4WD options are moot, since I, and many other truck owners don't even have 4WD.
    I made an error in #34.

It should have read, "your 5.3 should make 320.7 h.p. instead of 270".
    We have bigger fish to fry than worrying about hypothetical engine horsepower ratings between the Lexus and Corvette.

How about the 60,000 mile life for the Tundra camshaft belt?
  • mlundeinmlundein Member Posts: 7
    Any pricing info on the TRD pkg. KBB websight has it listed for $95.00 +- Is this a typo??
    Glad to see you've found this conference. Are you here hoping we can help you overcome your GM addiction with a twelve step program. I'm willing to help you quad, but first you have to admit you have an inferior truck problem. Just repeat this until you are no longer in denial:
    Hello everyone, I'm quadrunner and I...um...well I'm here because I own a (sob) GM truck (more crying, slump shouldered, tear-streaked face covered in hands, etc)and I really need your help and support.
    245 hp and 315 ft/lbs of torque are enough for me...and, unless you're towing a house, enough for you, too. By the way, I have NEVER owned a truck of ANY kind with a limited-slip. Why are you so infatuated with it? You probably crave a clock position that's higher in the dash or seats with integrated seatbelts, too. Nitpicking cracks me up. Go buy a "Big 3" truck and the free pass to the service shop that goes with it. 1143 miles on my Tundra and loving it! Bye.
  • mlundeinmlundein Member Posts: 7
    Truck Trend October, enough said!!!
    Hi Mark,
    What did Truck Trend say?
  • eostereoster Member Posts: 54
    Well the Tundra is probably not the ultimate truck but it is as close as you can buy today. I want a comfortable, reliable and refined truck that I can depend on day in and day out. It fits this bill just fine. Even if Toyota offered an automated nose picker I wouldn't buy it. As time passes and demand for various options increases I'm sure that they will be offered. If I was getting something bigger I'd get a Freightliner. Now that's a "real truck".
    Its obvious you don't use your Tundra's to tow, pull, haul or offroad. The rearend is a very important part of how a truck achieves traction. This is obviously why I saw a Dodge pulling an over zealous Tundra owner out of a culvert last weekend. No, I won't reveal what I own. All I know is it will out do your precious Tundra's in the real truck world hands down. Later.
    While you can be sure that no Dodge, Chevy or Ford has ever been towed and while you're sure that no one could want a Tundra, I also suspect that you are sure that the world is flat. In addition to the Tundra I currently own a 600 series Ford (real truck) and a 1986 Toyota pickup. Although I have never owned a Chevy based on my father's experiences, I have owned a Dodge and several Fords. The Tundra is by far the best engineered and built.

You've made your choice, I've made mine.
  • gustusgustus Member Posts: 14
    Like voting in America we can buy products we like.great isn't it.If the big three could see the Toyota drawing boards they probaly would see the bigger trucks three quarter ton and bigger Diesels etc. in the future.They would call special meeting before dark today.Toyota is where they want to be at this time they can produce any type vehicle anytime.I am probaly older than some readers here,came from brand loyal family.What about the kids growing up in Toyota homes,what are they going to by? I spend my money where I find the quality I like regardless of product or where it was made.Quality is name of game if you don't have it you are in trouble.If it hadn't been for imports we would still be offered Pintos and Vegas how could they compete in todays market?My Tundra is not for sale and I havn't called the service manager today.Have you??
    Toyota also produces large trucks, much bigger than the Tundra only they don't have a Toyota nameplate, they are call Hino. There aren't too many of them here, but they look very nicely made and are reasonably priced. If Toyota thought that the Tundra should have been bigger, it would have been.
    OK, I never claimed to own a full size truck folks. I entered this room asking some simple quesions about the Tundra because of what I saw. I own a 98 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 5spd stepside with offroad pkg, tow pkg, air, CD, pwr everything, loaded to say the least. I ordered it, not off the lot. This is my second, so don't give me the crap about reliability, my first went to 96K with NO PROBLEMS. I also use my trucks to fish, hike, camp, roam, trail in the Cascade mountains and deserts of Eastern Oregon. So, I know about 4x4's and what they can do. Granted, I'm not an avid 4x4 person, I don't rock climb or snorkle. I was just very surprised to see a Tundra stuck in a place most trucks can get out of. Even your beloved Tacoma's. I just don't see how Toyota can say the Tundra is "Full size" when the cab room is so small, no locker, or limited slip, only two engines and limited drive trains, cabs, suspensions ect... I know some of you are going to start to compare the Tundra to the Ranger. Please don't look like a fool. Anyone knows these aren't in the same group. See you in the hills!
    Vinney,
    Your absolutely right! We would definitely look like fools if we tried to compare the Tundra to the ranger. BTW, although presently stationed in Cali, my home town is Ashland, OR. Also, I frequently hang glide around Lakeview, OR. Seems we're neighbors. Now, are you positive, beyond a shadow of a doubt, you saw a dodge pulling a Tundra out of a culvert of sorts? If so, name the road and approximate location so I can attempt to verify your story.
    Up off of Mounthood on Hwy26. Right after Timberline there is a road called Skyline road. Its past Frog Lake and Timothy Lake. Take the next left after skyline road. The road is not marked. You enter a maze of logging/forest roads. I could not begin to tell you from there. The roads are all marked as numbers and I don't keep track. All I know is we were about 30 miles off HWY 26 in the middle of just about nowhere. Thought I was lying huh???
    How can Vince be making up a story if you say you believe him? It's obvious he wasn't consulting a map because he stated from memory. You, on the other hand, while stating familiarity, are the one who referenced maps. For one in such zealous pursuit of the truth, you seem to be quite in denial about something so fundamental for off-road light trucks and suv's, namely a locking axle, or limited slip differential, neither of which does the Tundra possess. Doesn't need it? Toyota could save lots of $$$ by leaving it off of the Landcruiser.
  • kuz1kuz1 Member Posts: 10
    Love my 2000 LTD Tundra!
    Consulting a map is not wrong, but what was proved when you did? Take a hint. It's much easier to prove something tangible. Like a 60,000 mile timing belt. Care to get a quote on parts and labor to replace one? Would probably pay for quite a few of the repairs (reasonably priced BTW) the Toyota experts are sure I'm going to have. But I need your help. Because when I asked Paul in service at John Elway Toyota in Denver for a quote for the Tundra V8, he said "whew!" He placed my call on hold, and after waiting, came back and said he would have to make some calls, and get back. Haven't heard a sound. Toyota's dirty little secret?

Oh, pity you! Ford Super Duty crew cab long bed diesel is what I would dream about. When I sell my heap, it won't be for your little Tundra. Let's see. GM has sold, what, about half a million '99 full size light trucks. Toyota has sold about 18,000 Tundras. And already there is plenty to read in the Tundra topics about shaking seats, consoles, steering wheel shimmys, vibrations, tsb's etc. Same old story....
    rwell, how can you say I was lying??? I was stating this all from memory. You had to consult a map!!! Skyline Road is past Frog Lake. And this road is the next left after Skyline! I don't take time noting every road and turn-off when I go into the mountains. And as much as you hate it, I did see a Dodge pulling your precious, overrated Tundra out of a culvert. I would like to make a reccomendation, don't go real offroad with your Tundra's guys. Anyone who knows anything about 4x4's or offroading will be laughing at you. Even my Ranger comes with a limited slip 3.73 axle, optional 4.10. Stick to the pavement. Geesh, I enter a room asking a simple question and get slammed. Can't help it if you know inside the Tundra is a joke.
  • atoyotatoyot Member Posts: 58
    Hello, just got my new Motor Trend and read the article about trucks. They have the GMC Sierra 2500 SLT 2WD ExtraCab with the 6.0L engine and the HP/LB ratio was 15.3. The Toyota Tundra 4x2 SR5 ExtraCab 4.7L engine with a HP/LB ratio of 17.5. Interesting no doubt. With those figures you would think that the GMC would smoke the Toyota, but ah contrair sire, the Toyota's 0-60 & 1/4 mile were both .1 sec quicker. Also stated that HP/Liter for the GMC was 50.3 and for the Toyota was 52.5. So figure it out for yourself, but to me it looks like the Toyota puts out more bang for the engine size and even beats the GMC in speed moving more weight per HP.
    Whoops, it should be lb/hp not the other way. HEHEHE....that didn't look right.....15.3 HP per LB....sure would be nice though.
    I missed that duct tape post...very interesting. Have you ever looked at the Technical Service Bulletins for the 1999 Silverado on this site? Very interesting info on squeaks, rattles, vibrations, steering bolts falling off, clunking rear-ends, etc. I believe Edmunds lists 18 bulletins and one recall.
    My Tundra's schedule maintenance guide recommends replacing the timing belt at 90,000 miles or 72 months(page 35). Where did this 60,000 mile business come from anyway? Makes you wonder.
    OK, I just got off of the phone with Mike Fisher, Service Rep. of Gullo Toyota in Conroe Texas, and he said that they don't have the information yet on the replacment schedule or the cost. He did say that they recommend every 60K on the 3.4L V-6 and that it costs about $250. He also stressed to me that Toyota doesn't build any self destructing engines, like other brands do, when the belt breaks. It just strands you and at the worst may damage the plastic protective cover. He believes that the Tundra will be the same way, but really doesn't have any info to back that up. He told me to call him tomorrow and he would have more info for me.
    Man, this is getting better than the X-Files with all of the misinformation flying around by the Toyota bashers. Remember, the truth is out there.
    I never replaced the timing belt on my 89 4-Runner. It had over 100K on it when I traded it for my 94. I did go ahead and replace that one at 60K, only cost about $100, since they replaced the head gasket for free I didn't have to pay for the labor. I think they normally cost about $250-$300. Of course that's still a hell of a lot cheaper then replacing the transfer case on my Blazer at 69K or replacing the tranny on my F250 at 74K.
This discussion has been closed.