Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• ladyjennladyjenn Member Posts: 3
    All estimated mileage from the EPA is incorrect. They have not tested any cars on the roads and only in the labs. They said it will be 3-5 years before those stickers on new cars estimating the mileage will be correct. They are usually 7 gallons off. Saw a whole show on it on 20/20! :)
  • fungswefungswe Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Sportage for about 6 months now...13K in mileage. No problems so far, just a few factory recalls. I'm getting 18.6 mpg on the guage. The ride is great.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My wife has had her Sportage since April. 8,800 trouble free miles. Getting about 19.8 mpg. The Sportage is a
    V-6 EX 4WD.
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    My LX V6 4WD is now averaging about 20.5 mpg with 70% of the miles being highway. It has about 9,500 miles on it. Still holding out hope for a little better. I've seen some forums where they're saying 10K miles is the "true" break in spot for the 2.7L engine. That's mostly Santa Fe owners and you'd think we'd do a little better as the Sportage is slightly lighter.
  • stealheadstealhead Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased a 2005 Kia Sportage Diesel. What a lovely vehicle - great Diesel economy too. However one small niggle. When driving into a strong wind (at around 110/120Km's)a strange high pitch hum/whine sound comes and goes. I have wonderd if the roof racks cause this as it is very irratating. It only happens into a oncoming strong wind. Any other similar experiences out there.
  • hfxnshfxns Member Posts: 74
    The rust protection undercoating that was put on my Sportage when I bought it this month was yellow - and I have seen some of it in different creases throughout the car. This is likely, since the car is brand new. Just an idea, but I could be wrong.
    The 2006 EX includes a tire pressure monitor and a new cabine air filtration system.
    Edmund's review of the 2006 Sportage says that the only changes are to the EX trim, and that the changes are 1) a tire pressure monitor and 2) a cabin air filtration system.

Cheers,

HFXNS
    I am quite positive - lots of room, it easily handles my wife and I an our two kids - and a double stroller in the stern. I find it has plenty of pick-up - I have the LX V6 4WD model. It handles excpetionally well for a SUV - and the level of standard features is quite impressive - especially compared to the Toyota's I have bought - i.e. power everything, ABS, cruise control, steptronic transmission, and electronic stability control. I live in Eastern Canada, and while we don't get the amount of snow that some parts of Canada and the Northern US face, we get our share. I will be interested to see how it performs on snow and ice - and I currently looking for snow tires for it.

The Sportage feels very safe - the unibody construction means that there are no rattles. City MPG are low - but I am impressed with the highway numbers. Overally we are very pleased, frankly I haven't had the chance to drive it as much as I would have liked - because my wife insists on driving everywhere. She is in love.

Cheers,

HFXNS
    You can't get the diesel here in the US or Canada, they decided not to sell it - which disapointed a lot of people. The top of the range here is the EX V6 (petrol) 4WD with the luxury package - which provides leather.

Cheers,

HFXNS
  • kcrnmalekcrnmale Member Posts: 47
    Everytime I step out of my Sportage and touch the door to close it, I get a whooping shock. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

The Hyundai Tuscon (Kia's sister) received a 5 star rating for frontal and side impact for all passengers.
  • bobbeebobbee Member Posts: 9
    Does the Kia Sportage auto transmission have overdrive ?
    What rpm does it run at when going 75mph ?
    What type of mpg can be expected with normal driving ?
  • charliescottcharliescott Member Posts: 1
    I took the advice of another respondent and turned the steering wheel tightly to one side and held it. The key turned.
    3000 rpm at 80 mph and 2800 at 75 mph (V6 AWD). I get 19 mpg with a fair amount of highway driving. Probably 18 mpg with normal driving.
  • mikem10mikem10 Member Posts: 4
    I have an '05 Sportage with 2700 miles and today, for the first time, every time a put my foot on the accelerator from a stop it hesitated four or five times before it finally accelarated smoothly. Anyone have a clue before I call KIA tomorrow??
    What maintenance is required to keep the kia warranty valid, other than the normal oil/ grease etc ?
    Sounds like the 6cyl FWD gets between 18 - 21 mpg ?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Simple, just follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule as per your owner's manual. If someone other than a Hyundai dealer does the work, keep all receipts for parts and labor--and be sure all parts including oil filters and fluids are OEM-spec.
    Haven't bought yet, so no owners manual. Someone said that they have requirements at specific mileage levels that cxan be high.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Like almost all cars, the servicing at 30k and 60k intervals is more extensive--coolant and tranny fluid changes, fuel filter replacements and such. If you want to know for sure, you could call your local Hyundai dealer (or stop in) and ask them to fax you the maintenance schedule, or just take a look at it.
  • jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    my front and rear power outlets are dead. Fuses are ok on both

I used my front outlet.... below the ashtray... for a heated seat cushion for a few times...and it was ok now neither front seat cushions work and the fuse is ok ..
    ( I plug one at a time)

any clues ? (next step is to check for +12volts in the sockets...or test the seat cushions in case... both went bad.)
    Finally drove my Sportage in the snow and so far the car seems to be a champ! I let you know what I think as the winter progresses. Should state that I have the 6cyl 4WD.
  • margofmanitobamargofmanitoba Member Posts: 2
    I have not read the forums for a while. I have about 6000 miles on my 2006 LXAWD Sportage. It's a 4 cylinder, manual transmission with 4 wheel drive. I really enjoy driving it & am pleased with the mileage so far. I also have experienced the high pitched whine when driving against a high wind. The first time I heard it was Hallowe'en & it nearly spooked me. I have only heard it about 4 times but it is most annoying. I had it checked at the dealership - door seals, etc. They put it down to the roof rack which is included in the package I got. I am in Manitoba Canada & find it great on the snow & ice. I replaced a 1989 Toyota 4Runner. It doesn't sit as high as the Toyota so I find that the wind affects it less.
  • duckhunter1duckhunter1 Member Posts: 9
    Any rumors when this engine might be in the Sportage lineup??
  • zathrasladyzathraslady Member Posts: 1
    Howdy everyone!

been reading here for a while. I bought a 2000 Toyota Echo when they were new, and it has been one SWEET little car!! But now I'm married, and my husband is 6'5". He sits okay in my Echo, but gets shifty over long trips. I was looking at the Sorento, which I don't think I can afford, so I took an 06 Sportage for a test drive after needing to get my muffler and other things fixed on my Echo. I loved the way it drove and the space, but after reading all the problems folks are having with their Sportages (i.e. ESP lights, key turnings, sudden brake pulls and engine hesitation) I'm just scared to DEATH that I'd end up with a huge lemon on my hands!! My Echo has needed nothing to keep running, more or less, than oil changes, few things aside. I imported it from Canada with me when I moved to Florida over a year ago.

I'd very much like to hear from everyone about what their opinion is that I should do. I want something larger than my Echo, is affordable, and comes with a good warranty...anyone? Anyone??

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Zathraslady
    My wife's 2005 Sportage has over 9,000 since April. Aside from two recalls the Sportage has been flawless. I would buy another in a minute.
    We got a notice from Kia to bring back my wife's 2005 Sportage for another reprogramming of the ESC. This is not the second ESC recall but a safety campign. Kia claims the ESC works fine but this is a tweak to make it better.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    as the truth. If Kia is saying that it would only improve the operation of the ESC it's true. They know their own systems the best. They'll probably just plug their systems computer diagnoster into your car's computer and type in some program that just updates it. By the time you have a snack and a Vanilla Diet Dr.Pepper they'll be calling for you to come pick up your car. When I get a new Kia I don't mind taking it into the dealer's shop for anything because I know it will improve the car by doing it.

These Kia's are driveable works of art. Kia is the best autobuilder in the business. I flirted with getting a Scion tC or xA RS 2.0 for a few weeks but am glad I stuck with my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4. It's been a great SUV and is handling our first winter in eastern Idaho like an absolute champ. I may get a 2006 Kia Rio sedan or Rio5 but wouldn't lay money down on it. The Sportage 4x4's doing us too well to get rid of it. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• swamanswaman Member Posts: 6
    I too live in Florida. I moved here from Seattle, where I bought my Kia Sportage EX 4X4. It is a great vehicle. I have had no problems what so ever. I did a lot of research as well and after driving it, I loved it and bought it. I am 6' 210lb male. I fit fine and the best part are those reclining seats in the back. That was the main reason I bought mine. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I live in Fort Myers, FL
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

If it's related to the Sportage then please share it with the rest of us right here! :)

tidester, host
    I guess it depends on the dealer. The dealer for me (in Halifax, NS) is a good friend, and he has been a huge help. We have had a couple of minor problems, and they have fixed them very quickly. If you buy a new car, you have to expect a couple of problems. I have not been effected by the recalls.

I like the dealership so much, I used to get them to service my old Toyota - and they were consistently faster than the Toyota dealership.
    I just got new snow tires for my 2005 Sportage. I got Canadian Tire's Nordic Icetrac. I have had them on other cars, and I love them. The other alternative was the Michelin X-Ice - which were a fortune.

Total cost about $550 including warranty and nitrogen instead of air.

Cheers,

Dan
  • snellysnelly Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 AWD V6 luxury on order, but would like to see what the steel grey looks like. Also, does anyone have an 06 with a sun roof? I'm about 6'3", and am hoping that the sunroof doesn't take up too much headroom.

Really like the Sportage, test drove (and own) a CRV, Xtrail, Vibe, Impreza, Mazda 3HB. Sportage came out on top for comfort, styling, warranty, and of course price. The only problem is that it's taking a month to get one ordered in..... :(
  • twodogtwodog Member Posts: 1
    Mikem-I just started having the same problem with the same vehicle. It seems to be much worse when it is cold.Lots of lurching when accelerating from a stop. I guess its off to the dealer for me also.
    I drove my LX V6 4WD in the snow and ice on Saturday and it performed admirably. I was out in a driving snow and sleet storm - and while I noticed that the ESP and the ABS went on a couple of times - I felt that I was in complete control. I was also able to back out of my drive way without shovelling. If there are 2 feet or less of snow - you can barrel right through it going in reverse. I also went up the steeppest hill I know. There was plenty of thick snow and some ice and slush - and I just blasted up the street.

Cheers,

HFX NS
    Go to the Kia Motors USA website:

http://www.kia.com/sportage/sportage-views-flash.php

They have a little program where you can change the colour of the exterior and see the Sportage from different angles - all done dynamically.
    Team Falcon Racing has a ton of 2005 / 2006 Kia Sportage related accessories including grills, skid plates, etc.

http://www.teamfalconracing.com
    No overdrive.

Not sure about the RPM at 75MPH. It depends on the engine, whether it is Manual or Automatic or not, and whether you are using the steptronic or not. I can get to 75 MPH in 3rd gear using the steptronic. But the RPM would be at least 5000. Generally I would think maybe 3200-3400 RPM in 4th gear at 75 MPH. The best way to test it would be to put your cruise control at 75 MPH and then watch the RPM.

So far I have noticed that the city MPG is considerably lower than advertised. I would say 15-16 MPG. The highway is closer to the listed 26MPG.

One thing to note, is that the 19MPG city and 26MPG highway that Kia quotes is only lab tested - so it doesn't mean much. If you live in the mountains or the desert - its going to vary.

HFX NS
    Willabeast - My LX V6 4WD came with all of the above. I believe the combination of the V6 & 4WD adds more features. I remember reading that on one of the Kia websites. I paid almost to the dollar what you paid - I am in Halifax.

Interesting about the AM. Did you go through the stereo manual? Was that any help? Did you check to see if your antenna is damaged?

I love mine too, and I think my wife loves it more than me.

HFX NS :blush:
    That's an amazing story, sorry about the ankle. Good to hear though. The Tucson came out with 5's across the board in crash ratings - so the Sportage will likely have the same. Unfortunately there is no schedule for it to be tested. The Tucson got tested because Hyundai sells alot more cars.

Good luck with the ankle.
    Go to google and put in the following:

"2005 Kia Sportage" + Accessories

You will get results.
    I have a LX V6 4WD, and that sounds high. I talked to a couple of people, and everyone that I have chatted with who is Canadian paid something in the $27K -$28K range. I think the top of the line is just under $30K - i.e. with Leather.

That is just my experience. I was just chatting with someone on this site, who paid $27,250 I believe.

HFX NS
    I could be wrong though, I had a trade-in which changed my price. Your talking all in - no trade-in?
    Did this impact your warranty?

HFX NS
    I have seen the replacements. Let me think about this, first check Falcon Racing.
    You have to be careful not to get mixed up with US & UK gallons.
    I tried out the steepest hill in the city yesterday. Its a very short street, that is crazy steep. I went up it with some snow, slush and ice. I had no problems. The Sportage approach angle is 28.9% and the departure angle is 29.9%. I have never gone up or down a road that steep though.

HFX NS
    I am 6'2" and while I have no sunroof, I have 3 inches of head room left - so it shouldn't be an issue. My brother in law 6'2.5" 225lb. found the front seat very comfortable. I have had a couple of Mazda's and headroom has been an issue.

With regards to availability - why don't you ask about demonstrators. I got ours that way. The General Manager was driving a LX V6 4WD, and I asked if I could buy it from him. He was happy to sell it, but he was sad to see it go. Otherwise I would have had to wait also.

Just an idea.

Cheers,

HFX NS
    I am in Canada, and I find it heats up very quickly. In the summer, I found the Air Con to be better than my last car.
    I never get to drive my Sportage also - my wife has comandeered it.
  • psapsa Member Posts: 5
    I have been a Honda guy for years but I was impressed with the Sportage I saw at the San Francisco Int'l Auto Show. My wife wants the CR-V because its a Honda and we have Dealer near by. The closest Kia Dealer is about 45 minutes away. I would hate to have problems with it and have to go that far to the dealership.
    I have researched both extensively and the Kia's reliability record is not good (Consumer Digest & Consumer Reports) Also, I have read negitive things about the AT searching for the right gear under load. That is a pet-peeve of mine since I had an 1985 Blazer that did that all the time.
    That being said I still think the Sportage is a pretty good car. I like the styling and I think the inteior is much nicer than the CR-V. I tend to keep my cars a long time (10yrs +). So the question is how will the Sportage hold-up? Should this be a no-brainer and go with the Honda?