Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My wife's '05 Sportage 4WD V-6 is up to 11,100 miles. Fuel mileage is now 21.1 in mixed but mostly city driving. She started at around 19 mpg but is has steadily improved.
  • billybunter49billybunter49 Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks, just joined this forum...interesting.

Has anyone fitted a rear spoiler to their Sportage? I'm noticing our vehicle gets dirty very quickly, especailly the rear glass and trunk lid. I'm thinking a spoiler may help keep the crap off.

BTW I've been keeping track of fuel consumptions since we got the car (Oct.05) I'm getting anyway from 11.428-13.438 L/100 Klm. Even after having it re-programmed twice.
    V6 Ex with 9K on it.

PS in NS
  • hfxnshfxns Member Posts: 74
    Interesting I have the same car(LX V6 4WD), I am in Halifax. Your getting slightly better mileage than I am. Although mine has been improving. I have about 8,5000 to 9,000KMS on mine also. I was just in for my first service 3-4 weeks ago. Which dealer did you buy it at? What was the second reprogramming? I have only had mind reprogrammed once.

I mostly drive in the city, commuting in bumper to bumper traffic from the rotary to Dalhousie.

Cheers,

Dan

HFX NS
    Oh, by the way I haven't gotten a rear spoiler. But I have thought of it because of the same problem. The whole car can be fairly clean - but the back of the car will be filthy.

Dan

HFX NS
    I am getting a whine, whistling on the right front passenger side - but I wouldn't call it a rattle. Must be the same issue though. I haven't taken it in yet, since I noticed it a week ago.

Cheers,

Dan

HFX NS
    Do you have 4WD?
  • billybunter49billybunter49 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Dan:

First recall was for the Parking Brake clevis pin, so my wife took it in (Kia Dartmouth), and while removing the centre console they broke the rear cup holders.
    Had to order new parts, so it went in again and at the same time they did the re-programming for the fuel cons. Don't know what they did but I noticed a huge jump in the trip ODO etc. Oh! so when they replaced the broken parts of the cup holder they managed to put a huge scratch in the console.
    A month later they ordered a new console(expensive recall, for them)and we asked then to re-programme the computer again. So now my cons. seem better. Actually, it's my wife car. Driven mainly from Fall River to Bayers Lake.
    I'd like to hear from anyone who fitted a rear spoiler. The back gets dirty real quick.

PS
  • jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    Upate : Kia Sportage V6 AWD - Alias Hunday Tucson gas guzzling

I am 56, had a dozen cars, lived 56 Winters and Springs , I know what gridlock is and warning- up my car in the driveway and idling at the grocery store getting 0 miles/ gal.

My driving habits have not gotten worse or better only the cars have changed

Kia Sportage latest figures on gas consumption in Montreal Canada

9.75miles/us gallon (128 oz.)
    12,18miles/ imp. Gallon (160 oz.
    23,31liters / 100 km

The other day, as I posted in a previous message it was a bit warmer in Montreal and I did some highway miles which seemed to show an improvement but now, I am back city driving and the above reflects my current consumption on 156 miles (251km).

I will go back to the dealership and they can drive it for a week if need be.
  • gascgasc Member Posts: 2
    2006 V6 4WD and just turned 4800 km. The gas mileage has stayed about the same since I bought it even though the weather is quite a bit colder. So I am hoping it will get even better once spring hits.

GASC
    My wife's Sportage EX V-6 4WD has over 11,000 miles. The mixed driving mileage is averaging just at 21 mpg. When the car was new the mileage was around 19.2 mpg.

We noticed a stain on the sunroof cover. I brought it to the dealer's attention when the car was in for its oil change on Saturday. Turns out the sunroof is leaking and must be replaced under warranty.
  • 72dolfan72dolfan Member Posts: 2
    We bought the 2005 EX 4WD, and it has the rear spoiler on it. The rear glass and trunk lid get dirty extremely fast.
    My 06 Kia Sportage v6 awd with 4500 km was dealer reprogrammed this a.m. (2nd time in a month). Apparently the first reload did not take... ???

Dealer seemed confident this will solve my 25l/100km problem.

I hope so.
  • 14milo14milo Member Posts: 5
    2005 V6 1500 miles
    My rear windows only open 3/4s of the way. I don't see anything about this in the manual. Is this normal?

re: mileage... I live in Los Angeles where it's been in the seventies and I've never gotten more than 14.1 miles per gallon. I sure hope the reprogramming works. I never would have bought it if I'd known.
    latest fill up for 98.5Km (about 60 miles)was 27,8 liters
    about 6.5 gallons US so I get about 9.2 miles per US gallon.....after two reprogramming....

next week the dealer keeps the truck for 5 days and loans me one.

They ar e suppose to attach a computer and use the car around town to see what is going on !! Dealer has been nice...so have I.

does this thing suck gas or what !!
  • tsberkeytsberkey Member Posts: 1
    We have now had our Sportage (06 EX FWD) for about 4 weeks. Our mileage has been pretty consistent. About 22 HWY, 16-18 city. Having owned a Hyundai Santa Fe with the same engine for about four years, this is what I expected. I even reset the trip computer one night last week so I could keep a good eye on the highway mileage, and with temps dropping down to zero degrees (F), it still was getting about 21 mpg.

Is the 4wd system possibly causing the issues that some are having here, as opposed to the computer programming? Just a thought. Good luck getting your mileage under control. I can only imagine your frustrations.

Re the car itself:

So far, we love this car, as we did our Santa Fe. The heated seats are great and the stereo is one of the best factory stereos I have heard yet. (The only reason we got rid of our Santa Fe was our son's Toyota died and he wanted to buy our Hyundai.)

Will post more as our experience with it grows.

Tim :D
  • shc1shc1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the market for either the Kia Sportage or the Hyundai Tucson. Re the Sportage: is there any significant difference between the '05 and the'06? I am considering the EX with 4WD. Both dealers in my area have plenty of either year model. Obviously I would get a better price on the '05, but will consider the '06 if there have been major improvements. Thanks for any help.
    I've been told that the only difference between the'05 and'06 is that the'06 has a tire pressure sensor. The model was brand new in'05 so it won't have major changes for a while.
  • shc1shc1 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I thought, but wanted confirmation that I hadn't missed something. I've not driven either the Kia or the Hyunda as yet, but since I've narrowed down from a much longer list of possibilities I will test drive both, and decide based upon which drives best for me...and how good a deal I can make.
  • leftcoast2leftcoast2 Member Posts: 13
    I'm Moving to PA and wanting to buy a new inexpensive vehicle that will eat up pot holes, AWD and have heated seats. I thought my decision was made and then I read the bad gas mileage posts here. Now I want to :cry: It seems like you can't win. Has anyone found that SUV?
  • fbk4fbk4 Member Posts: 3
    My Sportage came with the spoiler... save your money!
    after 5 days my Sportage doing 25l/100km came out of the dealer.(about 10 miles/us gallon

main engine control unit was changed... about $1000 parts and labor on waranty.

High consumption was confirmed by the dealer road testing for a week.

The new computer apparently showed immediate improvements consumption wise... said the dealer.

I will now test it myself.

by the way... the Spectra.... they loaned me for a week :)
    (4cylinder automatic....) it swallowed 25 l for 120 km :confuse:

I guess it's engine computer is crazy to.

my car was sparkling clean when picked it up :) and
    guess what ! with the new engine control unit...for some reason I don't see the usual white cloud (water vapor) behind the car anymore when I step on the gas.
  • egr2egr2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sportage EX that was, unfortunately, in an accident on January 13. There was pretty extensive front end damage, but it was repairable. I'm supposed to get the car back today. The body shop doing the work has had to wait for more than three weeks for a cooler fan assembly and front airbag sensors. They were only able to get the parts after I had the owner of the dealership where I bought the car work on getting the parts personally. It even took him two weeks to do it.

It is unfathomable to me that a car company can put a new vehicle on the road and not have parts in the pipeline to support the vehicle. I like the car, but I can't ever see myself buying another Kia when such incompetence exists in supplying parts. I dread the idea of needing a simple repair and having to wait for weeks in order for parts to come in. The worst part is that there is no one to vent to. The body shop can't manufacture the parts and they are just as helpless as I am. You can't imagine the frustration of having to be without a vehicle for weeks (well, you can if it has happened to you) while it sits waiting for parts. Shame on Kia for such bad customer support. Never again.
    My wife's '05 Sportage needed its sunroof replaced due to a leak. The part was ordered on a Saturday and by Wednesday it had arrived. Previously the carpet in front needed replacing, same scenario.
    Hi Jacques,
    How is the mileage now? Has anyone in the U.S. had the re-programming? I don't see any service bulletin for it and Kia customer service didn't have a clue as usual.
    Thanks, Hilary
  • alobster7alobster7 Member Posts: 17
    Isn't an 05 kind of new to have to need a sunroof replaced due to a leak?
    I feel the same way but the leak had to have been there from the get-go. I think Kia would not have fixed the leak past 12,000 miles.
  • lvsportage05lvsportage05 Member Posts: 1
    I've taken a spin around the forum, so am hoping I'm not rehashing anything. Please bear with me.

My Sportage is a white '05 EX with everything except tow hitch, upgraded stereo kit and Homelink. We purchased at the end of August at Courtesy Imports in Henderson, NV and are very pleased with it so far. The accessories are few and expensive.

-So far gas performance, mostly stop-and-go, has been averaging almost 18 mpg (17.6). Less than advertised, but not entirely unexpected.

-The stereo bass, even on low volume, causes all sorts of vibration rattling in the front. Is this normal for everyone else? It seems to lessen when I lean on the door somewhat.

-While I do love the OEM stereo's MP3 capability, I do find it annoying that it won't keep the equalizer presets from one CD to the next. Also, it would be great if it would display more information like the Hyundai.

I've Google'd this question, but haven't found any answers. Is it possible for Kia to program the ECU to change various settings? I noticed a post about automated door locking. Has anyone asked Kia if this sort of thing is possible and if they would do it? I suppose a tuner could accomplish this, but can't seem to find any information on programming the ECU. I'm also having trouble finding any sort of performance data like torque/hp curves. Interestingly enough, when I purchased my '99 Passat (new), it didn't take long for forums to pop up with that sort of information.
    Thanks!
    I have since filled up twice at the 100km mark (60 miles).

test-1 23 liters approx. not good !
    test-2 22 liters approx (forgot to ask for sales slip :mad:

I have improved about....4 liters per 100KM and frankly I do not know if it is because of the the new control module (ECM) or the cold winter just fading away.

I figure I am still guzzling gas ...my brother runs a big Ford 250HD and consumes less gas than me .

I will do test 3 and head back to the dealer as I feel it will still be way way above what other people get.

Kia Canada has logged my complaint. The dealer customary "cute call" to ask me if i was satisfied with the repairs has not materialized yet :confuse:

the 4 cyl. 4 door Spectra (had 5000km on it) they loaned me for a week ..it sucked 25 l for 124 km.....and absolute crying shame :cry:

I gave the gas bill to the store manager as proof.

I am not happy at all about the gas. The rest of the vehicule is fine. no problems.

The dealer... did find other bugs... one was a bad windshield jet(spray) which they...not me.... said was faulty and they did a warranty repair on....
    They also repositionned a exhaust tail hook which was loose and causing noisy rattling in the back. That one I reported.

When I drove home the passenger spay head was and still shoots way to low compared to the driver's
    I have been getting 20L-22L per 100KM fairly consistently lately. I haven't done any highway driving lately.

Dan

HFX NS
    I just fuelled up 24.2 liters for 110 km city driving
    no big warm ups, winter is fading away only gas guzzling remains

about 14.2 miles per Imp. gallon or 11.3 miles per US gallon

I am gong back to dealer with my newly replaced ECM !!!

the saga continues
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    I'm now getting 22 mpg U.S. on my V6 LX 4WD. This is about 70% highway miles. I have about 17000 miles on my '05. It seems to slowly be getting better as the weather turns milder on the east coast. I'm thinking I should consider myself lucky!
  • kgmkgm Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else had the PLASTIC rear wiper arm of there Kia Sportage broken off by a car wash? This has happened to mine apparently (per the dealer) twice. First time it took the blade and cover over the nut. Second time it cracked the entire blade. Of course this is not a "warranty" issue....
    I know that a month or so back, there were a couple of people looking for accessories. I have found an interesting website, we really good prices for genuine Kia accessories. One thing to note, one of the things I was looking for was cross bars on my roof. They were quoting well over a $100 at the dealership, but on this website it was below $35 US$. A big savings.

Here is the link.

http://kia.autowebaccessories.com/

Cheers,

Dan

HFX NS
    Same car, the full review lists two small differences. I identified them in an earlier post. One is better air filtration in the cabin. I can't remember the other. But if you go back in the posts you will find it.

Dan

HFX NS
    One thing to note, I just tried to buy Kia Genuine roof rack cross bars at www.kiaautowebaccessories.com, and found out that they don't sell to Canada, only Americans.

That's disapointing considering the pricing.

Cheers,

Dan

HFX NS
    Yes your right, automatic tire pressure sensor and improved cabin air filtration. Clearly not big things.
  • martintmartint Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 Sportage EX V6. Has anyone made performance improvements such as cold air intake or engine chip reprogramming. It would be nice to get a few more horses. 173 just isn't quite enough, but I knew that going in. I do like the car. It is a very appealing vehicle even if it isn't state of the art. The leather option makes it that much nicer. My milage has been about 17 in the city and have hit 23 mixed so not that far off from the sticker.
  • shabidooshabidoo Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2005 4spd manual 4WD Sportage since July 2005. I too have experienced the wind noise while driving at or over 110km/h. I find the noise happens when a cross wind hits the vehicle. It is the sound of pressurise air trying to escape a rubber against rubber seal. I think it is comming from the around the window. I think the rubber door seal in that area is not tight enough. It is very annoying on the highway and my dealer has yet to find a solution. Has anyone else had this repared?
  • mikdeemikdee Member Posts: 27
    See my Post here at the Hyundai Tucson forum:
    mikdee, "Hyundai Tucson" #1179, 12 Apr 2006 8:45 am">link title
  • ibnewfibnewf Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I've seen lots of discussion on the fuel mileage of the 6 cyl sportage but little complaint about the 4 cyl? Anyone have an idea what the fuel numbers are for a 4 cyl, AWD, 5 speed 2006 sportage? I'm thinking of buying one and am looking for advice..
    thanks
  • swamanswaman Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 Kia Sportage EX. I put in a K&N filter, the mechanic at Kia that I talked to told me NOT to get the intake system, the vehicle already has cold air intake. It comes in right in the front under the grill. He said if you buy the whole system, it takes air from inside the engine compartment.
    I also put in a different exhaust system. I can't recall the name of muffler, but it is just a bit noiser than the original and makes a huge difference in the power.
    Between those two things, I have a experienced a big difference in power. I am looking into the supercharger for it. If anyone has put one of them in their vehicle, I would like to hear any feedback.
    I hope this helps you. :shades:
    I have never had any wind noise problems until yesterday. Up until now Noise, Vibration and Harshness has been miminal. One the weekend, I had my dealer install the cross bars for my roof rack. Since then I have been getting a lot of wind noise. At first I thought I didn't fully close a window or door, but I then realized its the roof rack. Has anyone else had this problem? It starts up at about 75KM/H.

Cheers,

Dan

HFX NS
  • lucyinfinitilucyinfiniti Member Posts: 17
    We have a 2005 Sportage LX V6 4wd (techinically AWD) from Dorschel Kia in Rochester,NY. About the recent posts on parts, don't blame them on Kia! Blame it on your dealr, our dealer has a facility that is used not only for Kias but Lexus, Infiniti, Saab, Toyota, Nissan, VW, and others. There are top notch and have fixed everything within hours. Only problems we've had are recalls and thats nothing to scoff over. Those only took maybe a coule hours and the other was the gas tank repleacement which only took three days. Pus, your dealer should have the products in stock, shame on them for not keeping their inventory up! Not to mention parts have to be shipped from Korea!!! People talk about Kias reiability issues, which there aren't any, at least Kia doesn't recall their vehicles lately for seatbelt issues like Toyota and GM. honestly we this is the best vehicle we've owned so far and gas mileage is a well expected 24 mpg. Also, Canadians no one cares about your kilos and liters, this is an american website we don't use the metric system here!!! CHANGE THINGS OVER!!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    this is an american website we don't use the metric system here!!!

We know you're kidding but, just to be clear, EVERYONE is welcome here. Also, did you know that that the metric system is taught in ALL American schools? The U.S. is still playing catch up! :)

tidester, host
    Our 2005 kia has seemed to pull to the right since we bought it. It's been to the dealer a couple of times to try and correct this problem, each time it comes back a little better but eventually gets worse again. Is the Sportage naturally aligned this way? Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to fix it? :confuse:
    Our tires on our 2005 Sportage are already worn and need to be replaced. It has been a little over a year and only 21,000+ miles with them. There is no reason why they should worn already. :mad: We had BF Goodrich Traction T/A T tires on our LX V6 4wd. ANyone else had this problem? Recommend any good new tires (especially for all-season ones good in snow)?
  • mikdeemikdee Member Posts: 27
    Ok, here's the skinny! On my New LX V6 4WD Tucson/Sportage sister car. Some other owners have had the same issues, some not. Just had my tires replaced by B.F.Goodrich, as a "Good Will" gesture. After calling B.F.Goodrich, and having the tires evaluated at a local BFG dealer, who found at 13K miles!, the front treadwear at 3/32" (the maximum legal wear limit) and the rears at 6/32", BFG actually offered to replace them if I paid 25% fronts, and 35% rears, of a new tire price, which was $120 each. That is, for a "Real" BFG Traction T/A (H rated), not a Traction T/A (defective) "Spec" O.E. tire! The local dealer mentioned that Michelin now owns BFG, who owns Uniroyal, So I had my choice of tires from these brands, Uniroyal was crap, so I thought about a Michelin Hydroedge, but the dealer didn't recommend them because he said they lost traction in the slop once they wore down abit, plus most reviews I found for this tire said they were very noisey, and they were more expensive. There were no other tires of either of these brands that were rated higher then the BFG Traction T/A from all the reviews I found, So I went with them. They look Awesome!, bigger, & wider looking then the O.E. BFG Spec tires. I'm sure they'll be better all around then the O.E. tires, I just hope to get the rated treadwear of 60K out of them, at least the local dealer offers free rotation for life every 6k, I just gotta stick to the schedule.
  • aunt_briaunt_bri Member Posts: 4
    I know with my Aztek you have to push the crossbars to the back of the vehicle to reduce wind noise!! It happen to most suv's with cross bars!!
  • aunt_briaunt_bri Member Posts: 4
    I'm trapped in the war of the suv's and have narrowed it down between the '06 Escape XLT 4wd and the '06 Sportage EX with Luxury package 4wd. Any hints into which I should lean towards. I know I want something with alot of room and that will hold it's value the best!! I'm trading an '04 Aztek and I got burned!!!
    If I were you I would lean towards the Sportage. The Escape is an aging model for Ford (has been out since 2001). Also it's a Ford...need I say more?! Also the Sportage's warranty is better, 10yr./100,000 mile!!! We own a 2005 Sportage and have had no problems. Stay away from American. Also the Sportage will probably be cheaper and will last you longer. Who know where Ford is going in the next few years. Also resale value is not all it's cracked up to be. Thats mainly for use by dealers anyways. unless you plan on buying a new vehicle every 2 or 3 years than who cares?! I wonder why your getting rid of the Aztek, it is American which is not good, but it's only 2 years old! One last comment, if you're looking to stand out the Kia is your choice! Everyone and their uncle owns an Escape! :shades: