Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sportage 2005 and newer

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Any chance it might be a rebadged Tucson?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    the Sportage has it's own body design completely. I'll bet there's a lot of parts roto-binable on these two rigs but I posted a link in this thread that has a comletely uncovered set of pictures of the brand new Kia Sportage(which may not be named Sportage BTW)under development right now. Kia will definitely build a microsite for it this year sometime and, of course, the Hyundai Tucson already has it's own microsite to look at it's all-new design. Pretty sharp looking I might add! If you want to, go take a look backwards in this thread and find the post where I provide a link to the new pictures. It also looks pretty sharp and a real similar size to the new Tucson. The front is different, though, as is the rear, and of the two I would say that the new Sportage's look is the most unconventional look(although I like it already). I think this new Sportage under development has popped the Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 out as my favorite "next new car possibility" in a coupla years.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

will the pricing stay the same as on the old Sportage, or will the price go up? And by how much?
  • murleymurley Member Posts: 6
    The Platform is shared with the Tucson as well. The vehicle was designed for Kia and has been in build for three years now. Hyundai decided to take and create their own version on the platform.
  • murleymurley Member Posts: 6
    As for the details, it will be available this late-late fall or "early" winter..., probably around november +/-. Pricing will be more than the sportage slightly, but not as much as the Sorento. Probably starting in the 16,000 range and topping out around 22,000 depending on engine choice, trim level, drive configuration, and small add-ons.
    will probably be more like $18,295, or something very close to that. I say that because my '01 Sportage retailed for $17,075(base model, no A/C or even radio)and this will be an all-new model. With inflation I'd bump up the lower end of your price range a tad, other than that I'd say it's pretty close to being right on. This Sportage will have a unitized body(no more body-on-ladder frame design of old) and will be FWD with an option for AWD driving at the driver's whim. Of course, AWD will be an option and not standard equipment. Very, very interesting, eh?

the base price will be like $19,999 to add options like Air Conditioning and a CD Player to the standard equipment list.
    Kia would need to keep it lower to truly call it a "base" price, know what I mean? The buyer is still getting a good deal by getting an '05 Kia Sportage for $18,295. Even without A/C. They just are. Add A/C to the base model(as an option) and the price will be around $19,295, before T&L is added in. This new-world-order 2005 Kia Sportage is the front-runner for my next new car at this point. The '01 Sportage now has 73,455 miles(and is running on it's original factory Hankook's and has not blown a single light bulb of any kind yet!). Kia rocks the house nicely. If I pop in The Drive-By Trucker's 2003 CD entitled 'Decoration Day' my '01 Sportage gets to rockin' all the more so. Anybody like Skynyrd or The Outlaws or Nirvana or Molly Hatchet out there? Check out a band from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, called The Drive-By Truckers. Better yet see them live. Be prepared to get rocked mightily.

In todays world, people are demanding that basic items like Air Conditioning and a CD Player come with their cars. See how many Honda Civic DX models Honda sells? The ones with no air conditioning or a CD Player. Same thing with the Accord DX. They must sell one of those for every 50 Accord EX sedans they sell.
    which may or may not be called Sportage, again. Know why? I just got back here from the Kia Global website where I learned that Kia is indeed going to name the new compact SUV they are releasing in the fall of 2004 Sportage. They came to that conclusion after recalling the success of the predecessor, with it's good cutting-edge looks and functional design. Cool, huh? The new Sportsman will come in either a 2.0L inline 4 cylinder engine or a 2.7L V6 engine and will include an option for AWD. It will be of unibody build and offer passenger car ride and quiet highway interior cruising noise, yet it will still offer that "sitting up higher feel and effect" that the earlier Sportage offers. Very, very appealing, Kia. Yes, you are the best. The 2005 Kia Sportage will affirm that statement, I can just tell.

so just to clarify something, will the 05 Kia SUV be named the Kia Sportage or the Kia Sportsman?
    will be called Sportage! Not Sportsman, like I always refer to my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 SUV as. I can't wait to see this new Sportage and read all about it, and, yes, test drive it!

I get it now. Thanks for clarifying that issue.
    are you also interested in the 2005 Kia Sportage? Or just mildly curious?

• xgbtxgbt Member Posts: 28
    I recently wrote to Kia Canada and got their confirmation that 'the (new) Sportage will be unveiling in September at the Paris Auto Show we are expecting to have them on sale by year end'. =)
    Paris Auto Show then they're probably not going to be out in the U.S.much before year's end, either. Seems to me they were going to be out a little earlier. Looking forward to the event whenever it eventually occurs. Thanks for the update!

• sjoosjoo Member Posts: 7
    These Spotages are waiting in the lot...

http://donga.encar.com/newcommunity/allboard/jsp/Qry.jsp
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Your link produces an error!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I tried to go there but got nothing. Can that link be improved? Love to see more new Sportage pics!

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I saw the pictures from other Kia discussion site. I don't know if Edmunds won't allow me to say which one. The pictures show a new Sportage in the factory plant. They don't like a spy photos to me. It is exactly the same as the Hyundai Tucson (currently sold in Korea), except with the Kia emblem.

Question - Will the next Sportage replacement get a new name? Some said Kia will name after a Italian city's name. I like Sportage better.
  • geo4geo4 Member Posts: 3
    Hello from Greece

I visited the Greek dealer site. it say that the new Sportage will come on September.

So I believe it will keep its name
    I already wondered that and went to the Kia site. Kia will call the new 2005 Kia Sportage the Kia Sportage. Sounds redundant, but they said that the original mini-SUV that Kia made famous in the Sportage must remain to keep consumer identity worldwide. So, there you have it. Sportage it is. My 2001 is running like the true champion it is.

Sorry for the last broken link.
    They change the web site content frequently...So, Check fast.

http://www.megaauto.com/contents/view.php3?menu_id=1&id=20376- &topmenu_id=1

Above Web has Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage Photo at same page. (Left-Tucson and Right-Sportage)
    Sorry for the last broken link.
    They change the web site content frequently...So, Check fast.

http://www.megaauto.com/contents/view.php3?menu_id=1&id=20376- &topmenu_id=1

Above Web has Hyundai Tucson annd Kia Sportage Photo at the same page. (Left-Tucson and Right-Sportage)
    I want to know everything I can about it. Hopefully manual transmission will still be offered on the new Sportage. I would be interested in a red or silver-blue new-world-order Sportage with 5-speed manual transmission. I don't need the part-time AWD but I'm curious how much extra cash it is for it. Kia designers seem to have done it again...they've made a superior looking SUV body, filled it with state-of-the-art equipment and they're going to sell it for less with the best warranty in the business. Whoo-hoo!

picture links in there. Those are the best pictures yet of the 2005 Kia Sportage. I want one, for sure. Metallic red or maybe silver for color. We should be getting a microsite from Kia any day now since this pup goes on sale in a month or two, huh?

are at this link to Kia's International site. It looks like production of the 2005 Kia Sportage for the NA market begins in October of 2004. No word on prices yet. Has anyone talked to their Kia dealer yet about new Sportage pricing?

http://www.kiamotors.com/UVehiclesNewsWeb/KmceVn01_VehiclesNewsRe- - ad.aspx?Idx=229

• pitbouvpitbouv Member Posts: 7
    Could someone direct me where to find the specs on the new Sportage? I looked on the Kia site and the pics look GOOD, but couldn't find specs such as exterior and interior measurements. I am interested to see just how much ground clearance this Kia has as my old 2002 Sportage was wonderful. (Sadly, it was totaled in a multi-car accident and I walked away with relatively minor injuries in respect to the severity of the hits the poor Kia sustained). Also... I see that it will be AWD, rather than the manually engaged 4WD. Does anyone know if there is a manual override to lock in 4x4 mode like the system on the Escape/Tribute?
    Sportage with the 2.0L 4 cylinder will be available in AWD only and 5-speed manual transmission. Works well for me! Will keep looking for clearance specs online and at Kia dealerships. Anyone find anything about the 2005 Kia Sportage please post it here!

success of this new 2005 Kia Sportage in its domestic market. Gonna want more information all the time on this great looking new compact, yet roomy SUV.

http://www.kiamotors.com/UVehiclesNewsWeb/KmceVn01_VehiclesNewsRe- - - ad.aspx?Idx=231

LOOKS GOOD IN BLUE! WHOO-HOO! GET 'ER DONE!

with side-curtain airbags and 2.0L 4-cylinder engine with 4WD available as an option. That little tidbit of information has solidly put this new rig as #1 on my list. Oh, the Long-Haul Warranty is still available? These guys are absolutely incredible.

• geo4geo4 Member Posts: 3
    These are the prices in Greece for new Sportage:

2.0 EX 26.500

2.0 EX (with BCB) 27.000

2.0 EX FULL 28.900

2.0 EX FULL (with BCB) 29.400

2.0 EX DIESEL 28.800

2.0 EX DIESEL (with BCB) 29.300

2.7 EX FULL AUTO 32.500

2.7 EX FULL AUTO (with BCB) 33.000

Prices in Euro

What is BCB????
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    I just read in a weekly car magazine that the '05 Sportage will be offered with a 2.4L inline 4, the 2.7 V6, and a 2.0L turbo diesel. Can this be true?? I was crushed to learn that the diesel option on the Jeep Liberty will add about $8000 to the price (the source of this information is from that same weekly car magazine).

Does anyone anyone else heard about this? I never imagined that I would desire so badly a Kia!!
    a 2005 Kia Sportage off the truck and on the lot yet?

The latest issue of Motor Trend has an article about the Sportage I think. (not quite sure)
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    I knew it was too good to be true....

Autoweek published a correction in this week's issue saying that the Sportage will NOT offer a diesel option in the US. Too bad.
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I thought the new Sportage is FWD or AWD. But in the 2004 California International Auto Show coverage by Motor Trends, it is listed as rear drive or AWD (http://motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_0410_cias_autoshow/- index2.html).

What's right?
  • smalltownsmalltown Member Posts: 75
    I thought the new Sportage is FWD or AWD. But in the 2004 California International Auto Show coverage by Motor Trends, it is listed as rear drive or AWD (http://motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_0410_cias_autoshow/- index2.html).

What's right?
    and there will be an available AWD option, from what I read earlier about it.

• ncskibumncskibum Member Posts: 42
    Talked to the local dealer and he was estimating around $20K, before $2K rebates/incentives.
    "Should put a start around $16-17K"

Of course that was just talk and nothing on paper. Too bad we aren't going to get a diesel. Maybe they are waiting for '06 when the sulfur levels go away.
    Kia Sportage, a price of $18,000 would be a great deal on the newest version of the sport utility vehicle that started them all. The 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 I own and drive is a great little rig and I am going to be looking long and hard at the '05 Sportage. I am not turned off by the SUV being driven by it's front wheels as some old-gen RWD Sportage owners are. I'll give it a good look and I'll check out the AWD feature on it. That would help in inclement weather driving and probably give you a needed boost in muddy or snowy driving conditions. From what I've read a lot of people will buy nothing but AWD on their cars. It must be a desirable thing to have, eh?

• jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    And I found it to be very impressive. The Escape, Rav4, CRV, and Liberty were available for comparison drives over the same course. The Sportage was the class of this field of small suv's.
  • dlb14frostdlb14frost Member Posts: 29
    Please tell us more, 4 or 6 ? stick or auto ? 4wd ? I didn't know they were in the country yet. Any info on pricing ?
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    We were told that we were driving pre-production "mules" that may differ slightly from the production models that will start arriving at the dealers next month. No information on pricing, except high teens to low 20's. Base 3wd 4cyl will have power, air, stability control and traction control. It has the most interior room in class and is the best handling on pavement. They expect the 2.7L v6 with 4wd(actually a electronically controlled awd with no low range) to be well over 50% of the mix.
  • dlb14frostdlb14frost Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info. We have an Amanti and love it. Our other car is a 2001 Forester S, which we are planning to trade next fall. Will compare a new Forester with a Sportage.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    if you've driven both are they comparable???
    this is an award from within South Korea for the new Sportage for 2005. The Sportage is the only vehicle to be selected for this year’s awards. Kia expects 104,000 units to be sold overseas in 2005.

Kia Motors Corporation today announced that its Sportage compact sport utility vehicle (SUV) has been selected for the 2004 Korea Industrial Design Award, in recognition of its innovative and attractive styling.

The Sportage, which was launched by Kia in August, is one of ten products to be chosen for this year’s award, out of 170 total entries. Since 1997, the annual Korea Industrial Design Award has been recognized as the country’s foremost accolade for achievements in design by domestic manufacturing firms.

Yong-Hwan Kim, Senior Executive Vice President and COO of Kia Motors, said: "Aside from its performance and safety features, the immense popularity of the Sportage is due in part to its chic and sporty exterior and interior design that are well in tune with modern aesthetics.” Adding to the enthusiasm, particularly among younger customers, are its cool colors such as Smart Blue, Volcanic Red, and Vert Jade Pearl.

Since the Sportage was launched, 22,346 units have been sold as of the end of November. Another 18,600 units await shipment. Kia expects to sell 104,000 units of the Sportage in overseas markets in 2005.

Looks like beginning sales are very brisk in South Korea for the '05 Sportage. I'm gonna check out the Volcanic Red and Smart Blue, for starters.

• highfreehighfree Member Posts: 2
    I'm Korean and I bought blue one in 28 OCT 2004.(Actually, I ordered 24 SEP 2004 and did wait 37days till got in my hand) I drove 2890Km and very satisfied with 2005 Sportage. It has good design and performance. Hyundai Tucson was my consideration but I did choose Sportage.^^

Actually, Tucson and Sportage are almost same car except design and several options. They use same engine and body frame.

I was in agony. Cause I could not decide to buy Tucson or Sportage. (I would like to have both ^^) It was very hard but I finally orderd Sportage. The sportage's design was more attractive to me.

In Korea, Almost SUV buyer have same trouble like me, Tucson or Sportage?(I'll not mention about Santafe and sorento cause it's different level SUV) Now Kia export Sportage to Europe and will export North America soon. And I think that time you guys will have same trouble.(^^)

Tucson and Sportage have a good reputation in Korea.I'm sure that You will not regret buy any SUV Tucson or Sportage.
    if the 2005 Kia Sportage performs anywhere nearly as good as my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 I will love it I'm sure! Congrats on getting your Sportage and do include progress information on your '05 Sportage experience throughout the months ahead if you would. It's a good way for interested ones to gather road data on the Sportage. Have fun! The Sportage is all about enjoying your ride, eh?