Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger AND Toyota Tacoma AND others

13»

Comments

• midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
    You had to read through the posts see the subject matter, but it's won't be obvious unless you read it.

And maybe what is more important is the person who is directly involved state that I crossed a line involving occupation or race. Should Pluto be the one to judge what is inappropriate, not you? Seems to me you are a third person party trying to stir up some trouble, when it's probably none of your business to begin with. Draw any conclusions on my creditibility if you want to, but let me remind you, this is the internet, not life. You won't hurt my feelings no matter what conclusions you make... but this should be a discussion about trucks. Right?
  • rlafaverrlafaver Member Posts: 70
    Tadoah, I like your criteria. Like I said, I did not have good luck with Honda, but most people seem to, so I'm sure it will be a good one. You will definitely get better pricing from Ford/Chevy/Dodge and probably from Toyota, unless the Honda is even smaller than the usual small truck. We will learn all this soon enough, I guess, so good luck with it.
    h0udini, I've read most of this stuff, and I didn't see anything about race. And if I had I would have left it alone. Is any place safe from guilt-ridden white crusaders? I'm sick of hearing about it, so I will just bow out of this place. So long, m_stang and saddaddy. Enjoyed it.
    Sorry to see you go, rlafaver. We will certainly miss your input and collaboration, especially amidst the current population.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    -- even my purdy red neck will miss you. ;)

Tadaoh -- we are not ALL about putting each other down, just a couple chosen ones.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    OK, here's my last words on the subject:

We did in fact have a long winded discussion with shock absorbers. I simply brought the subject up when I saw the redesigned F-150 confirm what I had been saying earlier. If this is so upsetting to you, maybe you shouldn't participate in discussions where people have opinions backed by facts.

Don't assume the role of moderator and place blame on me for what sometimes happens in these discussions. If I was guilty of even half the nonsense you accuse me of, I would have lost my membership privileges long ago. Much to your displeasure, I'm sure, that hasn't happened. It "takes two (or more) to tango," as the saying goes.

If other members here, myself included, don't care to hear nonsense about race and occupations, why do you continue to bring the subject up? I certainly never have.

Want to know what's really funny about all this? Everytime you see a new F-150, you'll be reminded of how you lost our little debate, which, of course, you deny ever took place. And everytime I see one, I'll smile...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Any more conversation along these lines will be deleted on sight, and put this discussion at risk of closure. Thank you.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Whatever you want to believe pluto. I understand your assertions, but do not believe in them. You think one way, and I another. Thanks for playing.

Every time I see an F-150 or a Ranger I'll smile. And I will smile more often because 1. I love both trucks. 2. More people like them too because 3. People choose Ford over Toyota.

Have a nice day, and don't fret the small stuff.
    you don't want me to jump in this too. ;)
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    So, anyone know if Toyota might throw a manual V6 on the DoubleCab before or after the redesign?

That's the one thing holding me back from buying. Although its much better now, the typical assumption was that you would lose 15% power for a manual and 30% for an automatic. Based on that, the 2.7L manual and the 3.4L auto are within about 5HP/5lb-ft.

I won't drive another auto (had a Ford so I understand transmission failure).

Just to stay on-topic: are the shocks on the Taco a good design? :) And what is it about rlafever complaining about his Tacoma all over the townhall forums? The seats aren't made for the human body, the PreRunner is too big-I bashed my knee, I wish I had a Toyota when they built their reputation, etc.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    About the shocks:
    They seem to be perfect on Tacomas: they are vertical (which means they get the most travel and do the most damping....when shocks are placed in a V, they are less effective), the shock hangers are on u-bolt plates, so you can't hurt them without damaging the entire setup on that side (and look underneath a few other vehicles....SUVs that have shocks protruding down nearly 1/4 of tire height make me laugh).

B*tching and whining:
    Hey, he can complain all he wants. Some people aren't satisfied, some are. I have no complaints about my seats (and I believe I can speak on the subject, I have quite a few 10-12 hour trips under my belt, and a 18 hour one), nor that my truck is too big (I just raised it another 3"). So....take whatever people say with a grain of salt.
    Have you driven the auto. Tacoma? I bet you will be surprise if you are a someone who knows their trannies. I have read alot about Tacomas over the years and I can't remember ever reading about the auto tranny going out. They are about the best 4-speed use in pickups. They use the same tranny in Tundras pumping out 300+ lb/ft of torque, so it is really overbuilt for Tacomas. I even read yesterday posts from some die-hard man. auto fans that said that they actually really like the Tacomas auto.
    The automatic transmissions soak up less and less power output from the motors. And of course it varies from drive train to drive train, but lately I've been seeing quotes of 20% loss of power through automatic transmissions. Manuals are better, but the gap is closing. Combine that with the automatics near instant shifts, and the manual's small delay of no power delivery in between shifting gears, and many a automatic can beat a similair manual in a head to head race. Of course driver skill does apply.

So basically I'm saying they are both very much the same, the driver is the biggest factor.

Only downfall in automatics are heat, which require larger radiators and or supplemental coolers. There are also more frequent maintenance required that mandates automatic transmissions need fluid and filter changes. But if not abused and maintained properly, any automatic transmission can outlast a manual, but that is not typical due to driver's negligence.
    Yes, I've driven the auto V6. I've also driven the manual 2.7 4cyl. I'd probably agree that losses are more like 20%, but I didn't think the auto V6 had much on the manual 2.7. The auto did have a solid feel to it and had quick shifts.

I'm just really hooked on the manuals. Hopefully Toyota won't make the decision for me. I'm holding high hopes for a manual V6 in the 4x4 Double Cab. They've gotta do something if they're waiting till 2005 for the redesign.

I'll drive them again before I make a decision. The auto would be convenient, but the manual gives me peace of mind and that extra kick.
  • whatnow2whatnow2 Member Posts: 24
    Be careful what you wish for. Recall, or revisit, all the postings about the problems with toyota 5 m transmissions re notchy shifting and refusal of dealerships to fix it.
    with the manual than the automatic -- it seems to me. As backward as that may be, it seems to be the case. Good luck with you decision, Spleck, and keep us posted. You can't really go wrong, thats the good news!
    Until I know more about the 2004 models, I can't be sure which way I'll go. From the tranny problems I saw mentioned, it looked like the manual had synchro problems and the auto had thunking issues.

Anyways, it will be interesting if Toyota adds a 3.7L or a 4.0L to the lineup. I'm thinking that if I don't see a manual V6 DC, then I may just pick up a used XtraCab that I can rough up for a while. I know its only a matter of time before the DC has all the options considering its sales versus the regular and xtracabs.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Member Posts: 897
    Given the lack of publicity, I doubt there'll be any changes to Tacoma for 2004. I was hoping there would be, but oh well.

About tranny problems: I think nearly every Tacoma with manual tranny has notchy shifting from 1 to 2.

The thumping sound that's heard from below is axle wrap. Ever since I've installed my lift, the thump has gone away.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Member Posts: 257
    y'all's fight, but has anyone looked at the new chevy colorado at their website? i think it's pretty nice. you can view each cab style with each suspension option. the reg. cab Z71 is downright tough looking. 31" tires on 15" wheels is a definite plus. not too sure on the 5 cylinder engine though. they claim to have an automatic locking diff as well.
    no plans to get rid of the rock solid jeep though. just turned over 12000 miles and is tight as a drum.
    Took my truck to the 1/8th mile drag strip. First run was against a 90-93 mustang 5.0l. I beat him by 3 hundredths of a second, but only because he bogged at the start. My time 11.25 (estimated 17.3 in quarter) Best of night: 11.24.

All the 4.0l's and 4.3l were running 10.40's. No representation from non-domestic trucks, but saw my first SRT-4 in person. Those cars are fast!
    I really like those new trucks too. Same as you, though, i think the engine choices seem rather lacking. If the locker is anything like the ones in Silverados, though, its just a mislabeled LSD. Dunno how they get away with that??
  • kbtoyskbtoys Member Posts: 62
    Still the same drama I like hearing, glad I came back.

Now this is my thought, but I think those colardo's are ugly. Looks like them ugly avalanches. I do like chevy's too, but latley the way they look just makes me want to puke. But who know's maybe that will be there only downfall.

On another note my 99 Tacoma is great and just added a 2inch body lift. Here is a pic of a recent offroad trip I did

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/256000-256999/256584_49_- full.jpg
    Toyota OEs, Bushwackers?? They looke good!
  • kbtoyskbtoys Member Posts: 62
    I got lucky and took the flares off of a totaled 01 tacoma.
    This topic was getting buring underneath the very active "Toyota Tacoma Problems" forum... :)
    dern foreign wannabes!!!
This discussion has been closed.