Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• mydogmydog Member Posts: 4
    don't know if you got your problem fixed or not, but if you go to autosite.com, you can look up service recalls. There is one that describes your problem. It is titled, Power Train: Transfer Case (4-Wheel Drive.) I noticed several recalls that I have had no notification of what so ever. I am calling the dealership first thing Mon. morn.
  • welch4welch4 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 TB started slipping. The acceleration felt squishy. Then I notice if I stepped on the gas the RPMS would rise and the power would increase gradually. It felt like I was driving a standard transmission with the clutch slight pushed in. My Trailblazer has 48K. Has anyone considered a class action?
    -Kevin
  • dwormsbedwormsbe Member Posts: 6
    Well, I purchased my 02 in October of 2001, drove it through the mountains of Pennsylvania with a 3200LB trailer without incident. I lived in Florida a couple of years and recently moved out to California. With only 41K on the odometer I am just starting to get some of the symptoms described. Where is this part and is this something I can replace with out a lot of hassle.

I had all the other problems, (except the tranny and cylinder lining cracking, although a friend experienced that one.)tail lights failed(pre-recall) dash 4wd switch and with the brakes failing with less than 20K, pulsating and rotors rusting(I was told that was because I drove the
    TB in the salt up north. Cost me $400+ for a GM Defect) Interesting because my rusted out '86 t-bird's rotors were fine. Of course, this reoccurred less than 10K later which they graciously paid, like they did me a favor the second time. Never reimbursed for the original repair. I can't even unload this truck because I can't get it smogged in CA.(see Trailblazer problems)

To anyone asking if they should buy, my answer is no. I like the Trailblazer, but my truck has been okay, mediocre at best. There are too many choices available to settle for okay. Where I want to buy American and grew up on Gm products. Gm has disappointed every time I have needed their support. When you're paying $30k for a vehicle you expect not to have fight to have it run properly or even run at all. I am tired of hearing these companies complain that consumers aren't buying their products when the truth is poor reliabilty and failure to take responsibility for issues they created drive us away. It's like the guy at the bar crying in his beer cause his kids have no shoes.

GM if you want us to believe you have a great product and service, stand by it and fix the things that are wrong. Don't weasel out and stick us with junk and wonder why we don't come back.

If someone is going to go with a class action count me in, at this rate I'm sure my tranny will drop by the time it gets rolled out. It's time to start looking for an old straight six, 4-speed manual Ford F-150. At least I'll have something to drive while the TB rots in my driveway. And it will cost far less than replacing GM's defective transmission.
  • zam787zam787 Member Posts: 1
    I own 94 GMC Jimmy 4.3 vortex rebuilt motor& trans. less than 35k miles on both. The trans went out and I took it to local trans. shop that been in business 28 yrs. He told me and showed me this part of the trans that gave out I think he called it sun shield. The center part of this of this piece has thin metal that wears out and eventually causes these GM Trans to go out. He said most shops go back with this factory part but he rebuilds his with a stronger heavy duty part and they stay fixed. He said that when GM went to these newer trans. they have had this problem. I also own 02 TB with 115K. so far only minor problems. Maybe this will help.
  • rich60rich60 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 LT 2 wd nothing has happened but I know something is not right. Took it to the dealer and nothing wrong. Only a matter of time.">
  • lemonridelemonride Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 03 TB new & paid 39K. Ever since the vehicle had 5000 miles on I complained to my dealer that I had an electrical problem because my stereo pops and I loose all power. My steering jams and has been towed and the dealership did not fix it, he told me the next time just stick a pin up a certain hole to release the jam, the vehicle runs at a top speed of 40mph. Called Attorney Generals office and they refered me to BB Bureau. They denied my claim because I was over 24,000 mile AND my dealership never validated my concerns to GM. GM called with a $3500 off a new vehicle. Called corporate office at GM and wanted to talk to Richard Wagner, CEO. and they would not let me through, so every time I call they hang up on me. My car has 39000 miles and sits in the garage because I am afraid it will leave me stranded. I have had tie rods replaced and stabilizers.I will never buy another GM product!
  • dapoppadapoppa Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering the cost of the new 4wd switch and how hard it is to replace. looks like the dash and switch housing are pretty much sealed from prying hands like mine. Appreciate the help and good luck with yours. Mine has been thru 6 recalls so far, sadly the 4wd issue was not one of them. 02 tb ls 77k miles. Thanks again. Never owned a foreign car, but they are looking better all the time. Chevy is really slipping...badly.
  • mydogmydog Member Posts: 4
    The switch was only about $30.00, but it didn't fix it. As for how hard it was, it was pretty simple for my husband, but he has about 15 years mechanic experience. It turned out to be the module in the dash, (about 250 for just the part) and we did contact GM, they have a service bulletin on this problem (but won't recall it!) so we just took a chance on what they would do, and believe it or not, they said they would reimburse 75% of repair costs. It was about $420 all together. Haven't got it yet but we'll see what happens.
  • robert61robert61 Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: Been there done that. I bought a 2005 TB. Having the same problems. First started with a simple fuel injhection sensor, which dealer replaced. Then it was a fuel gauge sensor, then a transmission sensor. Dealer saying all unrelated. Then transmission started slipping and got stuck in 2nd. Taking it to the dealer, they found the transmission had locked and burned out due to a "sensor". Milage at 28,000 miles, transmission had to be completely replaced. Getting into it with this dealer, he's finally agreed to extend my warranty till 60,000. But guest what happened again? Transmission slipped again. It's in the shop again. Now their saying if the tranny is out again they'll try to get me into another of their new junk vehicles. How can we win? This has got to be the biggest fraud. Where are the recalls. I smell a cover up until somebody is hurt or worst.
  • gstrailgstrail Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: Transmission went out at 95K with no warranty left? Told by GM that 2002 only had 60K warranty on transmission BUT 2003 had 100K warranty. $3000 later had new transmission installed by 3rd party shop. Emailed GM and told them to enjoy their layoffs that they had earned them and that I had just purchased my first non GM car in 30 years. FYI folks ... watch out for noise in fan belt area its your air conditioning motor (no 3rd party part available $1000.00 to fix) ...
  • montyscarsucksmontyscarsucks Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 TB transmission blew out at 49k miles. F-Chevy. Any luck on warranty coverage at 49k?

Unbelievable. :lemon:
  • benomatic2benomatic2 Member Posts: 1
    Took my 02 Trailblazer to my dealer as we kept hearing/feeling a "clunk" when the tranny downshifted from 2nd to 1st gear. With only 32,500 miles and all work done by the dealer, I felt confident it would be a minor problem. Wrong! Got a call from the dealer and was told the tranny broke when the mechanic went to drive it into the bay for inspection. Since it was out of warranty, it would cost me $1,634.00 to repair it. I called GM's Customer Service (very friendly) and was told they would call the dealer and advise me "what GM could do for me". In the meantime, I found this blog and read up on all the problems customers were having with their GM trannys and what to expect GM to do. (The best out-of-warranty offer I saw was: all work done but customer paid $500) The car was fixed the next day and the mechanic showed me the part that failed...The dreaded sun shield) This metal part is shaped like a large bowl and about 1/16 inch thick. A 2 inch opening at the center has teeth that mate to a sun gear. The failure occurs when the sun shield cogs shear off due to the torque generated by the engine. I'm not a mechanical engineer but even I could see why these parts are failing. I asked the mechanic if these parts could be permanently mated (welded or manufactured in one piece) and was told "absolutely...that would fix the problem". The GM Customer Service rep called me and offered to "split the cost" of repairs...I would pay $817.00. After a long discussion, I paid $617.00. Still not happy as this is GM's problem (faulty part) and I shouldn't have to pay for it. Also, the CS Rep told me this was NOT as widespread problem otherwise GM would have issued a recall. I asked him if GM had a database that would show how many sun shields had to be replaced and he didn't know. Ergo, how does GM keep track of failed parts in order to issue a recall? Hmmm.
  • bdknocksbdknocks Member Posts: 2
    MY 2002 TRAILBLAZER TRANSMISSION DIED LAST NIGHT,NO REVERSE,2ND OR 4TH GEAR. 47,000 MILES.....NO WARRENTY THAT I KNOW OF. WHAT KIND OF CRAP DID I GET HERE? I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A JEEP. GUESS I'M SCREWED BUT I AM GOING TO GO OFF ON SOMEONE AT GM TOMORROW
  • egiffordegifford Member Posts: 2
    Benomatic,

Could you please advise me how you went about having Gm Customer Service offer to split the cost??? This just happened to my 2002 trailblazer and by reading this forum it seems that they are familiar with this faulty part . I just contacted them and they said I should first bring it to the attention of a local GM service manager, but acted as though there is little they would do (if any) to help.

If you could also tell me where you found this "out of warranty" offer??

Your help is so greatly appreciated.
  • egiffordegifford Member Posts: 2
    Same problem happened to me today...Did you make any progress with GM customer service? :confuse: :confuse:
  • bdknocksbdknocks Member Posts: 2
    No help from GM. I paid 1,500 at AAMCO. Replacement part is named "THE BEAST" they said it should last forever............
  • jworkmanjworkman Member Posts: 27
    I have an 02 TB LT 4WD with almost 100k. At about 90k, I developed a serious, immediate transmission fluid leak. Luckily, I was at home when I noticed Lake Dexron forming under my TB. Being fairly mechanical, I inspected the problem for myself, and found that the culprit was a very burnt hole in my trans cooler line. It seems GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided to run the trans cooler line up the passenger side of the vehicle, RESTING ON THE EXHAUST PIPES! They did cover the lines with some heat resistant fabric, which apparently lasts about 90k miles. I was tempted to fix the problem with an inexpensive brass compression fitting, since the trans cooler lines aren't under considerable pressure, but the desire to not get dirty prompted me to take it to the dealer (Culberson Stowers, Pampa, TX). MISTAKE # 1. Being familiar with the service manager, ( I have worked in various auto parts store for many years) he allowed me to enter the service bay and point out the problem to the tech. The tech nodded and said this was a common problem, which led me to ask the service mananger if GM was going to take care of this obvious design flaw. Has anyone else had a service manager laugh directly in your face? The guy told me that the replacement cooler line was about 60 bucks, would take less than hour to put on, and he could have it in 2 days. I swallowed my aggravation and told him to go ahead. The part actually came in a day early, but the service manager called to inform me that the line had been redesigned, and would not mate to the OTHER line that went on to the cooler. The other piece of line would be another 60 bucks, and they could have it the next day. I told him to forget it, I would come get the TB and fix it myself with a compression fitting. He went on to inform me that they had already pulled the tranny and the crossmember, and it would cost me 400 bucks labor to reinstall and come get my truck. I explained to him that obviously GM had found a problem with the original design, had updated it, and this was GM's problem, not mine. I was completely blown off, even after talking to the General manager and threatening to call the better Business Bureau. I was also out of town, and knew I would need the TB when I got home, so I had them fix it. So anyway, those of you who are mechanically minded might crawl under your TB and see how close your Trans cooler lines are sitting to your exhaust pipes. GM might have fixed this problem in later models (mine is an 02), as the part has been redesigned. Moral of this story.....just use the compression fitting...hahaha.
  • magnitudemagnitude Member Posts: 8
    I have an '02 with 138k and I guess I'm lucky my tranny hasn't gone out. The only issues I have are:

- slow shifting from a cold start
    - sometimes when starting the light above the 2HI indicator blinks and the car won't engage 4WD
    - when in 4WD the car feels like it grinds while trying to reverse.

Anyone else experience grinding while backing up in 4WD or Auto 4?
    On a few instances, after using 4wd, I have experienced a harsh banging sound and sensation from the rear end while backing up...but it has always gone away after a few tire rotations
  • briankruszebriankrusze Member Posts: 10
    I am about to pull a 6x12 u-haul trailer across country with my 05 Trailblazer 4X4. I can't get an answer if it has a tranny cooler or not. Can anyone help?
  • alanrosenbergalanrosenberg Member Posts: 28
    I don’t see here what kind of maintenance people have done on their transmissions. Most people that do bother to do a trnas service simply change the fluid and filter, there is a system that actually flushes the fluid from the transmission and the torque converter,,, supposedly much better as there is a great quantity of fluid in the torque converter that does not get changed in a normal service---that said and I did do the flush,,, I’m worried reading all these problems

I have an 02 2WD with 67k and have had no trans problems but maybe a little slippage and an occasional clunk--but did have problems like some of the first isues with shifting weird and power down and had the fan clutch replaced about 7k miles ago [for over 900 bucks,,] I've been waffling trading the chevy in, for either a honda pilot or a new chevy,,,, had kind of given up, but I think today I'll try to go make a deal,,, maybe a 2 year lease on a new trailblazer 4WD as I do like the truck a lot, even though the honda has the coolest navigation system, up here in the seattle area honda dealers just will not deal,,,,, but I guess they have a better product, which I greatly hate to say, but a 2 or 3 year lease on a new TB will be within warranty time, mostly
  • wags2wags2 Member Posts: 7
    I had the same problem with my 03 trailblazer.Even though i am the second owner at 36,200 miles the trans wouldn't shift out of first and i would have to shift it with the throttle "tapping it to the floor to shift" and also once to 55mph and floored it to pass it would feel like it went into nuetral. At first the dealership said it was the fan motor housing????? After dropping the pan they seen one of the bands were junk. I called the gm hotline very friendly but she was wondering what i wanted. I said fix it, at 36200 miles on a trans and also never towed a trailer previously to that and it is junk. They said they wouldn't because i had no service history of the vehicle at the dealership. Of course after i fix it the first chance i get its sold.
  • aarmentor09aarmentor09 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer with 40k, and I have been having a problem with the engine hestiating when I am trying to accelerate. It's like the gear won't change and the RPMs drop down and it won't go anywhere. I have to either wait a couple of seconds and keep my foot on the gas, or take my foot off and re-apply. Does anyone know what the problem might be? It is a really scary situation when I am trying to enter into high speed traffic.
  • ralo44ralo44 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like we have same problem. Took mine to chevy dealership, said it was FAN CLUTCH. They wanted arm and leg for replacement part, am looking into buying one at local auto part store and getting it replaced. Mine is a 4.2L L6 2002 needs electronic control fan clutch. hope this helps
  • callandsharkcallandshark Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a pushbutton switch that switches to four wheel drive ?
    My transmission was bad after they told me that first.One thing odd is once i changed the transmission i discovered there was already a remanufactured gm torque convertor???I don't have a clue why at 36k.
  • cbaileycbailey Member Posts: 3
    The transmission in my '02 Trailblazer EXT crashed with 42K miles. My truck has never pulled a trailer and is driven gently. There was a major clunk and then a whining in the transmission and no reverse gear. I contacted GM customer service because of the advice from this forum and told them I had seen several people on these forums having transmission issues in Trailblazers. They advised me to take it to my selling dealship and that they would call ahead to inform them of my situation. After my selling dealership inspected the transmission they offered to replace entire transmission and warranty it for 7 years/100k miles and my cost would be $250. Needless to say, I jumped on that deal. They had it fixed two days later and it has ran smoothly for about 3 weeks now.

I feel lucky with the deal I got and I thought GM stepped up to the plate with this out of warranty offer. I will be buying my next GM vehicle from that same selling dealership.
  • madmomtb02madmomtb02 Member Posts: 6
    is it possible to get that GM Customer service number???
    Obviously the dealership is not a BERGSTROM owned dealership like all of the Wisconsin area is owned by.It seems i have to input what cost to them before i can get any "cost" service back out!!!
  • cbaileycbailey Member Posts: 3
    866-790-5600 is the place to start.
    There should be one on that truck.Look just below your front bumper in the air dam below it there should be a cooler right there. It is kind of hard to see because its painted black and is about a foot long and 6 inches tall.
  • raummeisterraummeister Member Posts: 1
    I'm seeing this problem a lot posted here-- happened to me yesterday. Big clunk and then a whirrrrrr, and no reverse. Had to have it towed to the local dealer. I am taking the advise in the above posts and called GM (am on hold at the moment.) The quote to replace the broken 'shell' at my dealer is $1500. If post 188 was accurate, it is sure worth sitting on hold for a while!
    yea i thought that was it...someone told me that was for the a/c....thanks!
    nope...just a selector switch that turns...isn't that what all the 4wd TB's have?
    05 TB I6 Pulled a fully loaded Trailer 2000 miles...no problems it pulled just fine:)
  • taluhlabelle12taluhlabelle12 Member Posts: 6
    I had same exact problem(loud clunk and then a screeching sound so horrible) however i was driving about 45mph with my 5 year old son in the truck. I pulled over into a parking lot to look under the hood for a belt or something that had broken (mind you im a single mother so i was all alone with my son) didnt see anything...so i go to back out of the parking spot to find i have NO REVERSE. so I have to push my truck backwards alone and drive home where i find out i have to get 1st gear to get up to 3000rpms then tap the gas or take foot completely off to get it to shift into 2nd and if any of you have driven in New Jersey you know taking your foot off the gas is a death sentence. I bought the truck 4 monts ago yesterday with 36,525 miles on it and just turned 41000 miles...i called GM headquarters and they had me take it to the dealer where i purchased it for a full diagnosis even though my mechanic told me it was the reverse sun gear......diagnosis from chevy is broken reaction shell (reverse sun gear) i did not pay for the diagnosis as i told them i would not. they got me a rental car that they are paying for since i cant even food shop, that would require backing up out of a parking spot. i am currently waiting for GM to call me and tell me if they are paying for this repair. if anyone out there is curious how many trailblazers this has happened to just type in google "chevy trailblazer transmission problems" and see how much pops up. they know this part is defective i was told they know. dont pay for your repair. fight for them to pay. call headquarters!!!!!!!
  • cr38128cr38128 Member Posts: 2
    2003 Chevy Trailblazer with 34100 miles service engines light comes on, i take it to the dealer who fixes it and recommend I have the transmission and another regular maintenance completed that cost me over 400.00 dollars. Two weeks later I have to take it back because the speedometer went past 115 miles while sitting still, a week later the transmission starts stalling while going forward and the engine fan is running constantly even on start up. Checked the fluid I had none in the transmission. Yet it was suppose to have been filled when maintenance was done. Took it back to the dealer it is no longer under warranty and JUST UNDER A HUNDRED MILES LATER my 2003 Chevy trailblazer which is 3 years old. There is a problem with the transmission in the Chevy trailblazer and I am not the only one experiencing this. Something needs to be done. Help
  • cr38128cr38128 Member Posts: 2
    don't pay was told the same thing yesterday mine is 2003 with less than 35000 miles, transmission was serviced and it stalled when i took it to the dealer i was told the fan wwent out but why was the fluid missing from the transmission after 4 weeks.??? Gmac has a problem we all have to stick together on this one. Follow the link to report it https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
  • jchap0123jchap0123 Member Posts: 1
    Warning for everyone who owns a trailblazer... My family and I have purchased 7 of these vehicles and have ALL had major issues. If it drives well now, trade it in. We have gone through GM assistance as i have read many others have and they are Zero (0) help. I lost my transmission recently and they decided to string me along for a month telling me i was eligible for a 50/50 only to have two AVM (area vehicle managers) change their mind and leave me with the full bill ($3200) and a $1200 rental to boot. After a month they decided this because despite all the documented issues it had, It still made it close to 90,000 miles. They said the average life of a GM tranny is 100,000 miles so I was the low end of an average lifespan. They did offer a loyalty certificate for $2000 toward a new vehicle though. I told him what to do with that. This all happened after the transmission flush. My service record was perfect, never towed with it, etc. It was towed 5 times due to issues with the tranny since the day I bought it. I even provided GM Assistance with 7 vin numbers of chevy pickups and this trailblazer that i have owned since 1999 and they still didn't care. My fathers two trailblazers are 1 year old and they both live at the dealer getting fixed. My brother won a lemon law suit on his. They have made a family of loyal GM (Chevy) owners trade in these P.O.S. and buy other non-GM lines. I am now anti-GM (as you can tell)and I hope you all get out before they have a chance to do this to you.
  • audreybaudreyb Member Posts: 1
    Although I'm an Envoy owner, I'm posting this here because the TB has the same transmission

At 68,000 miles my 02 Envoy transmission failed as a result of faulty sunshell gear. Failure occured as I was merging into traffic..could have been very bad, but luckily there was a median so I could pull over. My local dealer diagnosed the problem over the phone...tells you how aware they are of the issue. Next day they called with an estimate of $1100.00. I called GM assistance (1-800-790-5600) and they've offered 50%. I have to pay the whole bill and then have to go through the hassle of sending in paperwork (original repair order, proof of payment, & proof of ownership) which I thought was bogus because I was going to a GM dealer to have repairs made...but since this multi-million dollar company doesn't have an online claims center I have no choice.

In the event GM issues a recall I'd get reimbused the remaining amount. The only way we'll see a recall is if everyone reports their issue to the National Highway Transportaion & Safety administration. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
  • loislane4300loislane4300 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue with my 02 Trailblazer, except I called GM and they offered me no assistance because I bought it used... Mine only has 56,000 miles on it. I am now stuck with a $1,350 bill to pay because of GM's faulty part - the dreaded sunshell. I asked if they have considered a recall on this part and they claim that they are unaware of any problems with it...
    Any ideas on what I can do now??
  • taluhlabelle12taluhlabelle12 Member Posts: 6
    I just wanted to let everyone here know that YES in fact Chevy does admit to the problem with the reaction gear/sun shell/reverse sun gear, whatever the mechanics want to call it. i posted here in beginning of october(#197)...now let me tell you the outcome. I did explain that my dealership gave me a free rental car and i was waiting to hear back from GM about covering the cost of fixing the transmission....well the dealership called me back before GM did and they had my trailblazer fixed already at NO charge. i informed dealership that i hadnt heard back from GM yet and he said neither did he but he knew they would pay the repair cost so he went ahead and fixed it.......i had my truck back the day after i brought it in for the diagnosis. I then heard back from GM...they had called dealership before they called me and found out the truck was fixed so she (specialist at GM) said to me ok good luck.......i said hold on a minute....i want a warranty......dealership gave me 12/12,000 with the new transmission and I want better, told her i had read posts on this website and someone got a 7/100,000 and thats what i want.......she asked me to give her a week to work on it and i said fine...she called me exactly one week later and offered me a 6/72,000 warranty on the transmission for free so i took it. the bill for the transmission was about 1300.00..i believe the part itself was 200 maybe....the rest was labor...they tried to give me a receipt with no prices on it since they covered it but i got them to give me a copy of the one they were sending to GM headquarters but i dont have it with me as i am at work and cant give you the exact numbers.......i do know i was quoted 2200 from AAMCO before i got GM to pay for it. i did as much research as i could because i didnt have the money to fix it.
    Everyone needs to call GM and just fight for it........ask for a specialist........dont deal with the first person who answers the phone and know what you are talking about when you call them. let them know you did your research and this is a defective part, tell them you went on the internet and couldnt believe how many people had the same exact problem you did.....its called a silent recall!!!!when they tell you to take it to a GM dealer for a diagnosis tell them fine but that they are paying for it.....if you bought your truck at a "family" dealership you may have better luck than others.....i do believe that was why i got mine fixed for free and by the next day. good luck to everyone i hope this is of some help to you all.
  • chewie65chewie65 Member Posts: 5
    Greetings,

I have not had a major tranny failure (yet?) but I have been following this thread and I need someone to let me know if they have ever experienced this BEFORE their own failure.

When it's cold and I drive away from the house, something causes my 02 TB to kind of BOG DOWN. I feels like I'm not shifting from 1st to 2nd and there is a kind of WHOOSHING sound like a fan is running at high RPM.

I just drive slow out of my suburban neighborhood and by the time I get to the major roads something has warmed up and I'm off to the races.

Tips or ideas on this would be great.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    That sounds like the viscous fan clutch. In cold weather it takes a little while for the fluid to warm up, causing the fan to run at a faster than normal speed. If that's the only time it happens it probably isn't a problem. If it starts to do it all the time the clutch may need replacement.
  • berecabereca Member Posts: 1
    I have had an 03 chevy trailblazer that has been nothing but trouble. The engine light is constantly going on and off, I have had the entire fuse box replaced, and I have had the speedometer go up to 120 m.p.h. when I am only doing 45. (had the instrument panel replaced at my cost: $460) This vehicle has stalled on me 12 times in the past 2 months despite the dealer saying they had fixed it. ($1200+ out of my pocket and 2 trips to the shop). They test drove it for 20 miles after my second visit to the dealer and then returned it to me "all fixed". The vehicle died on me again one week later in a very busy intersection. The dealer reset the computer on the vehicle, returned it to me once again, and it stalled 5 days later making a left hand turn onto a 4 lane road. Be very careful if you have an 03. There is a very high probablility of transmission trouble and no, the chevy dealer is not always admitting to knowing of these troubles, even though they are VERY well aware of them!!! The 03's are mostly faulty and the stalling of the engine makes it an extremely dangerous vehicle. Even the tow truck driver admitted to me that he "tows more trailblazers than any other vehicle." Watch for your "service engine soon" light to come on, or your gages to be off...these are warning signs. I traded my 03 in this morning for a Nissan Pathfinder. Best move I ever made!!
  • gracca5gracca5 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2003 Trailblazer and the service engine light came on. Well it sounds like it has a turbo or something when you first start out but once you get going faster then it sounds okay. I hooked it up to get the code on it and it said the fan is running at a high speed. We are going to replace the fan clutch in a couple of days so I will post back to let you know if this is the real problem. It only has 52,000 miles on it.
  • federicocruzfedericocruz Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 chevy trailblazer with 8600 miles on it and I believe my transmission is going bad already. I was parked at a Walmart store and I had my transmission in park and the moter running and all of sudden I felt like someone had hit my chevy on the rear bumper. it was a slight tab And I turned to look back to see who had hit my blazer but there was nobody behind. I think it was the transmission. This has occur about 5 times since Jan, also it seems that the shift in gears from first to second is a little rough. I wonder if anybody's trailblazer has done this???
  • gracca5gracca5 Member Posts: 2
    I left a message on here a couple of days ago. I was hearing a really bad whining sound in my 03 Trail Blazer and the service engine light came on. The whining would go away as long as I was driving 55 to 60 mph. The code was fan running at higher speed. I changed the electric clutch fan and it is running like a new one. The clutch costs about $200.00, if you get it at the right place. Call around because it could cost up to $500.00 at some places. Also in the owners manual it talks about the clutch fan sounding like the tranny going out. It may be something to look into. ;)
  • saimsaim Member Posts: 1
    My biggest mistake of life.
    Three months ago i bought brand new TB06, just after completing 5000KM service, last week when i tried to start TB it refused to crank at all, there were lights in dash board but engine refused to start i called Road side assistance and they took TB to maintenance dealer since then (almost six days now) i have not recieved the TB. i am realy stuck, every time i called dealer they just reply that they are trying to locate the fault as they suspect that there is some short circuit...
    Anyone had similar experience?
  • rtfinneyrtfinney Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT TRAILBLAZERS SHIFTKING BY ITSELF. I RECENTLY PURCHASED A USED TRAILBLAZER AND MADE A CROSS COUNTRY TRIP WITH IT. ABOUT A HOUR FROM MY DESTINATION THE CAR JUST SHIFTED INTO 4 LO. IT TAKES A BIT TO GET IT BACK INTO 2 HI AND WHEN I DO IT THE 4 LO BUTTON STARTS BLINKING LIKE ITS GOING TO SHIFT DOWN AGAIN. I KNOW I AM GOING TO HAVE TO PAY AN ARM AND A LEG TO GET THIS FIXED BECAUSE I AM (JUST A STUPID GIRL) BUT ANYONES HELP ON TELLING ME WHAT IT MAY BE WOULD HELP... THANKS SO MUCH.