Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

Comments

• clutch_artistclutch_artist Member Posts: 5
    I never did resolve it. I've put another 4k miles on since my last post and it hasn't gotten any better or worse. I made the trip from NY to FL with no problems. The issue seems to not be apparent over 70mph. I did talk to a tranny shop for a bit about it and it sounds like it is more of an annoyance than a real problem. Eventually it sounds like it should be rebuilt, but he didn't think it was going to leave me stranded. Your's sounds to me like the same thing.
  • mrjmarcomrjmarco Member Posts: 1
    What would cause my transmission not to slip when its cold, but once warmed up it completely slips and want drive in any gear. If I pull over and let it cool off it will drive a little bit again and then completely not go into gear.
  • tb4metb4me Member Posts: 41
    Hi all been a long time since I posted. Happy Holidays!!!

228,500 miles on the original tranny--just let loose 2 days before x-mas--ouch!!!

I wanted to let you guys know to start checking the trans cooler lines as mine have rusted out--yesterday. What a mess!! caught is soon enough not to fry the new trans. It's an ongoing problem that GM fails to recognize yet. Go to the NHTS website and you will find complaints galore on this issue. I'm having new lines installed now.

Still truckin--02 TB LT.
  • fontanafarmfontanafarm Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 trailblazer trannny failed same thing as I read here sun gear messed up whole tranny only 65,000 miles. Bought it used in 05 with 29,000 miles bought extented warranty 72 months / 72,0000 miles but dealership tells me it started when car was manufactured not bought what a joke called NHTSA today to make complaint they told me they have 27 complaints on this. Called GM they told me if I brought it to a GM dealer they could help me but since it went to a local shop no luck $1782.00 bucks later it still sitting at tranny shop trying to sell some guns to come up the dough. Thanks GM :mad:
  • FrustratedinPAFrustratedinPA Member Posts: 2
    Trust me, GM would not have done anything for you. I did everything they told me to do regarding my transmission - same thing...sun gear...mine had only 57,000 miles on it. I took it to a GM dealer/garage and pretty much jumped through hoops for them. They put me off for over 3 weeks saying that they had to have somebody go check out the car, blah blah blah, and they ended up denying my claim because of the age of the car - it was a 2002, and the mileage. I fought with them because all of the transmission guys we spoke to (even the ones at the dealership) said it's practically unheard of to have an '02 with only 57,000 miles on it to have transmission problems. GM pretty much told me "tough luck" and that was that. Then, I got a call from GM about 2 weeks after I had already had my car fixed, and they told me that they couldn't be more sorry about the way I had been treated and that they were going to try and "help me out". Long story short, they kept me hanging for another 3 weeks and came back with the same decision that because of the age and mileage, they would do nothing for me. Why did they bother calling me and initiating this all over again if they couldn't find a "better" reason? So aggravating. Bottom line...dump GM and buy foreign.
  • backyardmech3backyardmech3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer with the same exact problem. Have you been able to figure this out?
  • edmundo23edmundo23 Member Posts: 1
    HAVE A 03 TB 120.000 MILES WAS RUNNING OK THEN BUMM NO MORE
    CHECK THE SCANNER ONLY THE FAN CLUTCH MESSEGE NEED HELP PLEASE WHAT COULD IT BE
  • trail05trail05 Member Posts: 1
    We started driving today and all the sudden there was a loud thud and now the TB doesnt run in D or 3. Scanner showed no codes. ???
  • brettd1brettd1 Member Posts: 3
    If anyone can help out I would appricate it,I got a '03 tb and like most of you am starting to I think I have a problem with my tranny for the past few months when its warmed up only,it makes a ..what I would call a "grinding" noise coming from the tranny?..It wasnt really all that bad till just a few days ago,I was giving a friend a ride home from work and at a stop light when I started off it made a louder than before grind and my friend said he felt it on his leg on the passenger side of the trans tunnel. well that got me very concernd.. so I checked the fluid when the engine was warm and it was below the "hot" mark now Im guessing this means its low a pint? quart? if anyone can help me out I would be very grateful.thanks.
  • brackettricanbrackettrican Member Posts: 2
    Same problem as posting #430. Was driving back home to Texas from Florida. SES light illuminated. Codes for thermostat and coolant fan. An hour later, while driving at 70mph tranny went into slip. Could only drive it on 2nd. No tranny codes to help. Changed the filter, didn't help. AAMCO finds no code, suggest rebuilt and new converter ($2100)
  • brackettricanbrackettrican Member Posts: 2
    Look to reply #395. it looks like Kuke answered this one. Apparently the tranny communicate via the cooling fan clutch harness and replacing it MAY fix the problem
  • clutch_artistclutch_artist Member Posts: 5
    Trailblazer is doing good at 210k, but I have an issue with my Silverado someone here might be able to help with. I forgot to set the parking brake and it rolled into my pond. It was completely submerged. I pulled it out within an hour and put in the heated garage with fans blowing on it. I dumped the oil, pulled the plugs and turned the motor over, and blew the cylinders out with blow gun. I pulled all fuses and blew out the connections. I pulled the radio, instrument cluster, heater controls, all dash switches and anything I could easily access to take apart and dry. I pulled the seats and floor also. The truck started right back up, but immediately stalls. Any idea what I should look for? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • seashell19seashell19 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My husband's TB has started "not wanting to shift" at about 35-40 mph. Shifts great up until that time and then it actually sounds as if it is in 2nd gear. It stays at a low rate of rpms when this happens but it sounds like it is reving higher than it should be. It has about 84,000 miles no check engine light or any other problems as far as we can tell. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
  • piece2upiece2u Member Posts: 1
    Were you able to identify the problem with your vehicle? As I am having some problems to with my 02 TB it will not go into reverse and when in drive the rpms are up and revving up. I would like to see if I can find a solution to the problem before forking out $$$$ that I don't have. Is there people here getting together to confront GM with this problem? Thanks
  • graydog59graydog59 Member Posts: 5
    Did you fix this yet?
    Sounds like your fan clutch may be engaged all the time. I believe this is a default mode when it fails, to prevent overheating.
    Easy enough to check. With the engine off and cold, you should be able to spin the fan on the front of the engine. If you cannot, the fan clutch is bad. If you can, it would require further testing by a competent mechanic.
    No I havent fixed it yet I did just go outside and try to spin the fan and it spins freely..the engine was cold and off.Im guessing my trans is shot it doesnt shift into 4th gear anymore on the highway im cruising at 60 mph at 2200 rpm not good and the tach runs to 3000 rpm at low end shift points..I saw a completely NEW rebuilt transmission for these blazers on ebay for $625+150 to ship it from arizona ..its 150 anywhere in the lower 48...My G.M. dealer wanted 1790 just for tranny and no torque converter+another 1000 to install! Im guessing in the next few weeks Im going to lose the trans altogether,It then will sit in my garage until I can get another trans....I love this vehicle but I dont think im going to buy a GM again.
  • justanotejustanote Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    2002 TRAILBLAZER LT-When it shifts into 2nd gear it hasatates before shifting.The cruise control worked until about the 3rd time on cruise it went out one day while drivng on the freeway and hasn't worked since.Took it to autozone for a code check and a cellanoid broken circuit error came up. I checked part of the wire harness on the transmission for loose connections but didnt see anything. Anyone ever have this problem or know what the problem my be? Can't afford to take it to a dealer right now! Thank you
  • perales38perales38 Member Posts: 1
    hello. Ihave a problem with my 07 TB.
    I turn the key and nothjing seems to happen.
    We checke the fuel pump and starter but they are working.
    while checking the starter i realized that i couldn't shift into neutral.
    The manual says its a jammed tranny.
    Is there any other way to fix this?????
  • alblazeralblazer Member Posts: 2
    Thank goodness I have finally found a bunch of folks who can relate to the woes of owning one of these vehicles. I have a 2002 with 168,000. While it is easy to gripe and complain about it, I have had very little problems with it until the last six months. My transmission gave up at 166,000. I don't mean started slipping, I mean popped, banged, grinded and quit all at once. Went to a junk yard got a used one with 60,000 miles on it and stuck it in there.
    However now I have to dreaded jet engine disguise going on... I have been reading forums and chats about this issue and realize that if you drive this car, this is going to happen to you at some point. So, I have read it could be the relay in the fuse box causing it to stay on. If the computer has certain codes, the fan defaults to on to prevent overheating. I have a code for a cam shaft sensor problem which I am going to replace.
    Now yesterday on the way home, the reduced engine power light came on and that is exactly what happened... 5 miles an hour until I cut it off and started it again. I assume that this is related to the fan clutch. Has anyone else has this problem?
  • alblazeralblazer Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I had something similar happen to my blazer.... There is a release button to the left side of the shifter which should allow you to move it. Now my problem was the the linkage underneath the car had broke loose and the transmission thought it was in gear. Therefore not letting it start. If you look under the car on the drivers side, the linkage comes in from the left into the mechanism that changes the actual gear on the transmission. It is held on by a piece of plastic. You can totally disable the car with that little piece of plastic. Amazing... Good Luck!

I would be surprised it if is a truly jammed tranny.
  • justanotejustanote Member Posts: 5
    :):):):) Took the 02 Trailblazer to Cottman transmission Center today.They are the BEST! They changed 2 cellanoids in the trany and a loose prong on the fuse wasn't connecting and Bingo, everything works great.The cruise works and it shifts normal again.If you live in Kenosha WI and have transmission problems,This is the place to go! We got our truck back the same day too.Thanks Scott! :):):)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Always to hear of a good mechanic!

Please click on the Local Services tab above, select repair shops and the zip and see if they are on the list. If so, please post a review. If they aren't on the list, maybe you can email them the link so they can add their shop.
  • dws2kdws2k Member Posts: 12
    I've had problems with my 2003 trailblazer. I would take off in drive and trans would be in low gear. When the snow was here, my wife drove it and put it in 4 wheel drive and it sounded like a rattle while driving. Come to find out the drive axle is busted.
  • steve4979steve4979 Member Posts: 6
    2005 Trailblazer LT, 4WD, 63,000 miles.

Transmission failed on Sunday while in cruise control. We were stuck 4 hours from home and had to spend the night. Towed to a dealership and it wil cost $6400 for a new transmission. Can believe a transmission failed with so few miles on it.
  • steve4979steve4979 Member Posts: 6
    Correction, it cost $3300 for a new transmission. Plus hotel and car rental costs and missed work.

GM "customer service" in the Phillipines told me they could do nothing for me. A transmission with 63,000 miles on it essentially disintegrated! This is a catastrophic failure of a major drive train component and GM won't help to mitigate the problem because it is out of warranty.
  • ltrain4234ltrain4234 Member Posts: 2
    I have problem with my 06 trailblazer going in Drive. I have to start the car off in 1 and work my way up to 3, like a stick shift. I took the car to the dealer and they told me that it was my park neutral switch and they wanted to charge me 300 hundred dollars to fix it. I fix it my self for 50.00,but I'm still having the same problem. I took it to a transmission shop and told they me I needed a transmission. I've driven the car about 3000 miles since this problem occurred. Any Suggestionssssssssssss.
  • mghunt73mghunt73 Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2002 Trailblazer 2WD with 172,000 miles. A couple of weeks ago, while driving through some hilly country (north central Arkansas, US 412...if anyone's familiar) and noticed my tranny was actin funny. While driving at 45-55 mph in cruise and as i would climb a hill, the tranny would act like it was wanting to shift out of overdrive. It would increase by 400 rpms then lug back down 400-500 rpms. Then, it would completely skip shifting out of overdrive and downshift completely. So I took it out of cruise, and it would do the same as I slightly pressed the gas for more power to ascend the hills and it would do the same thing. I'd give it more gas and it again skip shiftin out of overdrive and downshift completely. I pulled over to check fluids, everything was good. No leaks, no smells, nothin loose. Stayed put for an hour to let it cool down but it still had the same problem once I got started back. I changed spark plugs and flushed tranny and put on a new tranny filter at 150,000 miles. Also had injectors cleaned at 150,000. Anybody have a clue what's goin on? Transmission doesn't slip, power is getting to the wheels just fine.

Also, ever since I got it with 95,000 miles on it there's been a hesitation in accelerating from dead stop or <5mph and a somewhat rough idle where it seems like something would drag the engine down. It felt like a hesitation in power getting from the engine to the tranny when accelerating. Problem hasn't gotten worse or better since. Dealership said it was a dirty throttle body, so I had em clean it since I bought an extended warranty on it and it didn't cost a thing. But it didn't fix the problem. And it's not throwing any codes for any of the problems listed above. Anybody got suggestions/fixes?
  • jimb68jimb68 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Replaced the fan clutch and temp coolant sensor in my 03 trailblazer. Took it to the chev dealer and had the updates done still roars when I first leave a light. Makes a ticking noise with ac on. Now I am told it is the compressor failing yet it roars with the ac off. Any thoughts sugg. Ty Jim B Also replaced the fan relay
    Im a mechanic at chevy dealership Ive worked on your problem more than once even on my own trailblazer. Under the hood in the fuse relay box (its the bigger box) on the drivers side open it up directly look down there should be two large fuses side by side remove them and switch them out run the vehicle from a dead stop at a street light whereever youve heard the grinding roar,see if that helps if not go to your dealer parts take both fuses in and get new ones these are the relay fuses for the fan clutch and a/c.defrosters dont let them fool you into thinking its not them Ive replaced about 60 in the past 3 years it worked on mine by just switching them out ..If youve ever had a dead battery or had the car jumped it is just murder on those fuses..hope this helps some.later,Brett.
  • jimb68jimb68 Member Posts: 2
    the relays are number 45 and 46 in my owners manual. 45 controls the cooling fan 46 is the headlamp driver module. These are $45.00 apiece at the local chev dealer! Swapped them with no difference. Are you pretty positive of your idea? I cannot return these relays. Ty Jim B
  • ltrain4234ltrain4234 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have any suggestions on tranny problem post #450
  • mghunt73mghunt73 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks brettd7. I'm gonna try your suggestion tonight when I get off work.
  • bigtex4848bigtex4848 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my wife this 2005 TB thinking I was doing a good thing. I have always been a Chevy guy and have had pretty good luck up to this point. First at 40,000 miles the water pump went out. The dealership wanted $1500 to replace it. We have 75,000 miles now and both front wheel bearing hubs went bad and the tranny in whinning like crazy. I replaced the waterpump and both front wheelbearing hubs myself but I am not a tranny guy. Has anyone had issues with a 2005 TB tranny?
  • donnak5472donnak5472 Member Posts: 3
    More to my story!
    So, May 2009, new water pump (which is another GM continuous problem), serpentine belt, radiator and transmission flush costing me $869. Scroll forward to Aug 2009, new $4000 transmission in my Trailblazer at 67000 miles. Scroll forward to May 2010. 2nd transmission fails 600 miles from home at 79000 miles. Transmission was covered by warranty. But seems that someone clamped the lines that went from the radiator to the trans cooler thus making my 2nd transmission overheat. Now the transcooler ran dry and needs to be replaced. Another $500. Within 15 months, I am now out $5400 not to mention the cost of hotels, rental car, etc. I am so fed up! I am taking action to get some of my money back being as a lot of this is GM's failure to support its customers by producing a quality product. Seems they took short cuts with inferior parts that they knew would only hold up for so long. Then we'd take it to a GM dealer for repair. BY THE WAY, I was told by a GM dealership that we shouldn't be flushing the transmission. Anyone hear of this?
  • donnak5472donnak5472 Member Posts: 3
    Because of ongoing transmission issues on my 2004 Trailblazer (and many of you here know what I mean), I went to a GM dealership for a 2nd opinion. I had my transmission flushed a year ago. The service manager told me that they don't do transmission flushes on some vehicles because it takes the internal transmission parts down to the bare metal? I kind of understand, but has anyone heard of this? Ever since then, I've had a new trans installed at 67000 and it blew at 79000 miles because it overheated. No coolant in the trans cooler because someone clamped off the line from the radiator to the trans cooler. Thus, the 2nd trans overheated...uuuggggggghhhhhhh...... ANYWAY, anyone hear about not flushing transmissions?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    edited July 2010
    Yes, I have. I don't do it myself, fluid & filter changes at 50K intervals is all I do. If you found the trans cooler line or lines clamped off, then it sounds like the second transmission failed due to someone leaving the clamps on the lines during some other service, probably the 1st transmission change.
    The transmission in the standard TB is basically a TH700R4 that goes way back to 1985(?).
    Also, why would the trans cooler need to be replaced just because it was run dry? It's just a cooling coil inside the radiator..........
    Your probably going to spend more trying to get money out of GM than you have in repair costs.....
  • hatechevyshatechevys Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 06 TB, bought it with 40,000 on it. Have had nothing but problems with it. In 1-10 a month after buying it the water pump went out. The a pully broke, at 90,000 my wheel bearing hubs have went bad and my transmission started slipping. A month later it went out. I didn't know all the bad things about trailblazers until I bought one. Still owe $10,000 on it and want to get rid of it asap.
  • showerqueenshowerqueen Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I bought an 03 TB in Jan of 08 with just over 100,000 miles on it. In Oct of 08 at 112,000 miles the tranny went out. Had it replaced at a reputable shop. In Aug of 09, it went out again, replaced at same shop. Went out in March of 2010, replaced at same shop. It has gone out again, 30,000 miles after the 1st time and 7000 miles after the last. My question is when does it stop being the truck and start being the shop?? Last time they 'only' charged us $750 to fix it. This time I am demanding it be done for free. But is it their problem or is it the truck? We do not abuse it, only use the 4wd 3-4 times a year, we do tow a boat occasionally with about 2500lb tongue weight (it should be able to handle that-it's rated for 5000lb) and for about 10 miles round trip. What other issues could be causing the transmission to go out so frequently? I drive 60 miles round trip to and from work, mostly highway, use the cruise control most of the time, do not accelerate quickly or stop suddenly. Have not had any other problems with the truck at all.
  • hammakerhammaker Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 2004 Trailblazer, I revved the motor high and dropped it into drive, and lost my reverse gear, also neutral is now drive, still works in 2nd, 3rd, and overdrive, but when in park only revs to 35 rpms. This has happened to me a couple of times was able to fix by disconnecting the battery, will not work this time around. Other than not having reverse gear drives fine. Any suggestions?
  • sparky4021sparky4021 Member Posts: 1
    My wife bought an 04 TB new, it now has 98K miles and we have had very little problems with it. Last night we pulled out of a driveway and the engine over reved. I tried shifting but it wouldn't work. I was able to drop it into 1st and then into 2nd, but Drive and 3rd are gone. A former Chevy Service rep said with that many miles just replace the tran. Most tran problems I've had in the past come on over time, I've never had one happen this sudden. Any suggestions?
  • brenronjohnsonbrenronjohnson Member Posts: 1
    I came to work and tried to put my car in park; car wouldn't go in park, but I did get gear shift to go into 1 but now can't get it in any gear; it is almost like it is "not catching" something; can't turn car back on because can't put car in park to turn ignition on.....help!
  • lakeshelbylakeshelby Member Posts: 2
    I have never had a transflush on my 2005 Trailblazer and it has 128.000 miles on it, is it safe to do now?
    I wouldn't flush it, only drain & remove the pan, change the filter and refill it.
  • tdmansfieldtdmansfield Member Posts: 1
    One of the problems with the TB transmission, especially when it comes to not changing gears, is that the shift solenoids go bad. I bet most of the problems people have with TB transmissions is the shift solenoids. They cost around $25 and are easy to replace...but a little messy. All you have to do is take off the transmission drain pan cover (around 18 bolts) and drain the tranny. Make sure you have a new pan gasket and you might want a new transmission filter. You can get a gasket and filter (one kit) at Autozone for around $30. There is a shift solenoid for each change of gears, 1-2, 2-3, etc. My 2-3 went out, so I just replaced them all. Before a transmission repair shop tells you you need a new tranny, I would go to Autozone and get a free Check Engine Light diagnostics. I've read so many similar problems with the transmission, where people are going and having the entire transmission replaced for more than a $1000 dollars, when all they might need is a new shift solenoid for around a $150 repair if you don't do it yourself. Hope this helps.
  • fixgaryfixgary Member Posts: 2
    About 2 weeks ago, my 2004 TB ( 4 wheel drive -75,000 miles) began to stay in low gear. Rpm's quite high before switching to the next gear. Not knowing much about transmissions, I figured I had better check the fluid. The dip stick was corroded off. There was no dip stick. Now what?
  • tbhatertbhater Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 tb ext. About two weeks ago i got my oil changed, fluids topped off, tires rotated due to me going on a road trip. This past weekend I drove down to Dallas, TX. AS SOON as i hit dallas my service engine soon light came on. I wasnt at my destination yet maybe just 10 mins out, but the car was still running fine. After i got to the hotel I did not drive the car until about 3 hours later which is when the tranny would slip i guess and would not go above 30mph. The nxt day i took it to the closest autozone for the engine diagnostics and the code was something like P0894 transmission slipping; possible causes included low fluid level, contaminated fluid, failed TCC solenoid and poor electrical or whatever. I added transmission fluid to it. The guy said it takes 11 qts but i only put in 3 just to make it back to the hotel. I did not drive it for the rest of the day and the next day with still no intentions of driving it, i noticed that basically all the fluid i had put in it was on the ground. Not being from Dallas i looked online for local repair shops. I found one and based on the great reviews I called them told them my problem and had it towed to the shop the following day. Basically once there they put it on the computer and it stated transmission slipping. They changed the gaskets, fluid, seals etc and let it sit for a few hours. The leak had stopped so they attempted to drive it and it would do the same thing at about 40 mph. After that, the repair guy basically jumped into I need a new transmission. $2800 tranny w 1 yr warranty or $1800 with no warranty. Then he calls back and is like i can get one for $1550 w/ 1 yr warranty. With him jumping around on prices like that it then made me iffy on what he was telling me. Should i get more opinions? Bc reading comment #469 it could just be the solenoids. Any feedback would be great seeing how i dont have the money for a transmission

Not to mention im back in my home state while the car is still in Dallas smh
  • fixgaryfixgary Member Posts: 2
    I stopped at a supposedly reputable transmission shop. he told me that slipping is a result of low fluids and it would not be my problem ( #470). I don't have any leakage. I thought that possibly I was low since I could not easily get into 2nd gear from the low gear. He said most likely my problem is the solenoid. The trans switches gears electronically. Also I just stuck a BBQ skewer down the tube where you check the trans fluid level and it is crusted up about 8" down. I did not poke any further. ??
  • knight5knight5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '04 TB, recently my service engine light came on. When I took it to a mechanic he found that one of the cylinders was very low on pressure. He stated that he had never seen this before and that the only way to fix this was to put in a new engine/rebuilt. If not, then he recommended I trade the vehicle in as soon as possible. I am disappointed, aside from this issue the vehicle is in excellent condition. Is there anything that can be done besides the two options I was given? I can't afford a new car nor the cost of replacing an engine. Someone please help!!!!!!!
    I would get another opinion. There's other reasons a cylinder can be low on pressure than just "needing a new engine". A spark plug could be loose, you could have a burnt or damaged valve, etc. I'm not saying that the end result will be different, but the root problem should be determined first.