Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Transmission Problems

14567810»

Comments

• sdrink02sdrink02 Member Posts: 2
    did you find the problem. i have a 05 trailblazer with the same problem but when i put it into nutral it goes forward.
  • willhendwillhend Member Posts: 1
    u do not have to replace ur engine, conveniently thats how they would make the most money. they dont want to trouble shoot the problem! get a second opinion! maybe a bad piston ring valve problem! try a small shop!
  • hickschevhickschev Member Posts: 1
    hey...its to my understanding that these motors im assuming 4.2 il have variable valve timing. which means you get one little quark in your timing and messes the whole thing up....motors with this timing will start to actually drop cylinder one at a time till the issue is resolved. so quick q's how many miles and have you had any internal maintenance done to your motor ie..timing chain
  • gina37gina37 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Below is the complaint (personal contact info removed) I sent into Chevrolet's website on 3/6/11 under their customer service contact section. Up until yesterday morning they had not responded. I had to call the 800 # after we dropped TrailBlazer of at the dealership. Still waiting to hear if it is the same problem, but it certainly feels like it. Last time they offered nothing towards repairs so I hope they stand behind their product this time. (After all didn't the tax payers stand behind them via a large bail out?) If not, I will pool all resources at my disposal to try and get GM to recall these unsafe/unreliable parts. Maybe a class action suit like another member posted will be necessary...?

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT
    2003 Chevy Silverado

In December of 2007 the Silverado would not go into reverse. Parts 24224999 valve assembly, 24221142 plate PKG, 24208576 FLTR kit were replaced at Pellegrino Chevy in Westville, NJ. Repairs completed on 12/8/06. The mileage was 29,578. Was covered under extended warranty we bought-out of pocket costs $0.00
    In December of 2007 the transmission was slipping badly on the TrailBlazer. It seemed unable to go into third gear. Parts 24224997 valve assembly, 24220200 F-plate, 24221350 GSKT kit and 24208576 FLTR kit were replaced at Pellegrino Chevy on 12/21/07. The mileage was 84,568. Out of pocket expense $1087.59!! Appears to be same exact problem. Called Chevy and complained. Received GM Loyalty certificate good until February of 2009 towards the purchase of a new GM. Still have certificate as our Chevy trucks were still quite new to us and we were NOT interested in buying a new vehicle. Fast forward to today. The transmission has slipped again on the TrailBlazer. It is Sunday and I was entering a highway trying to get up to 50 miles an hour, with my 14 year old son with me, when the engine just started really revving and the truck was barely accelerating. This is seriously unsafe and if it does turn out to be the same problem I will be most unhappy. We could have been rear-ended! The TrailBlazer only has 104,000 miles and change so it made it just about 20,000 miles for the tranny to fail again. I would really like to hear directly from a customer service rep before I put it into the shop-again. There is nothing I can do with it on a Sunday afternoon anyway.
    Thank you in advance for any and all help,
    Gina and John S., loyal GM owners.
    P.S. I'm glad I have a 1991 Camaro as a back up vehicle or I would end up renting a car and/or missing work.
  • traillambtraillamb Member Posts: 1
    hey your seems like it will really help mine 2-3 shift solenoid just went out about a week ago and i will be changing it i will most likely change them all but how do you tell them apart. i.e. which one is which?
  • cliffemcliffem Member Posts: 1
    We had just gotten on the interestate yesterday morning when something happened to the balzers transmission. It sounded as if it was in neutral with the gas being reved. We got off the next exit and tried to put it into a gear and it would not go into any gear nor 4 wheel drive. It never gave a warning that anything was going wrong. No slipping, no lights, no sounds, NOTHING. Anyone have any clues as to what this might be? Someone told us we need a whole new transmission, someone said it could be a clogged filter.
  • afuller2afuller2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Trailblazer and was just told the same thing. My Engine light came on, I first requested an on demand diagnostic from onstar who stated that my engine misfired and my truck indicates there is an issue with cylinder #1. When I took it into the mechanic he stated that the pressure was low on cylinder #1 and I would have to replace my engine. This is crazy, my truck is not old and it only has 67,000 miles. I am greatly disappointed. Are there any other options?
  • lipps2lipps2 Member Posts: 1
    I had same thing happen can you tell me what it is??
  • jimmyzanejimmyzane Member Posts: 1
    All that should be under warranty, I have a 2007 Trail Blazer i have a 100,000 mile warranty on mine
  • granpoobagranpooba Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    98,9000 miles and my transmission just failed, on my 2002 TrailBlazer LTZ. All that I had was DRIVE and PARK, with no reverse or other lower drive gears. Dealership said they could get me in, but it would be a week. They added that it sounded serious and would probably need a new transmission. All that I had were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ signs dancing in my head.

Went to a local transmission repair shop, explained the problem and they stated that they knew exactly what the problem was as it was the SUN ring ( gear ). They stated that they could install a rebuilt transmission with a years warranty for $1,750. Knowing our local Chevy dealership, I could only imagine seeing a bill for over $3,000. As, they have stuck it to me before.

Transmission shop took in my Blazer that afternoon and I had it back the next morning. So, another of many repairs to my Blazer has been completed.

BUT !! Now I need to add another message to all you other folks that have paid dealerships to replace your FUEL PUMP MODULE. Hate to have to say this, but you were not very smart !
    General Motors has known of this problem for many years and it is a technical recall. Years ago I received a letter from them stating that if you owned a 2002 Blazer and lived in certain states, the FUEL PUMP MODULE's were rusting and would be replaced FREE of any CHARGES at your local Chevy dealerships.

Only way I found out that mine was rusting and leaking is that I was able to smell raw gas fumes at the rear or on the sides of the vehicle at the rear.

I took the vehicle to my dealership and the Fuel Pump Module in the tank was rusting and leaking gas. I showed them the letter from GM and everything was replaced free of charge.

Thus, if you are having this same fuel pump problem, be aware that GM is supposed to cover the cost of repairs. If you have had this problem and paid for it out of your own pocket, I would definitely be going back to your dealership and demanding my money back for the repair.

Now that you ALL know ............ Good LUCK !! :)
  • don207don207 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what the problem was? We are experiencing the same thing with our trailblazer and just replaced the transmission and it is still doing the same thing. I would love to know what was causing your problem.
  • lakeshelbylakeshelby Member Posts: 2
    I traded my balzer before it actually went bad, let the dealership worry about it. when i traded it they gave me a nice trade in offer they said it was in very good condition, all I can say is they did not drive it so they don't know anything.
  • don207don207 Member Posts: 2
    My wife drives our 2004 TB and last week on her way to work stopped. What it is doing is it is not engaging in any gear. We checked the fluids and all was fine. Our son is a new mechanic and he came and looked at it and determinded that it needed a new transmission. So found one and we replaced it yestreday and we are still having the same problems. My question at this point is are there any eletronic issuse taht could effect the operation of the transmission? The vehicle has 147,000 miles on it. Any imput would greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • harley2398harley2398 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Trailblazer with 100,000 miles, it started making a slight whinning noise, and lost all gears forward and reverse just revs, if you turn the key off wait a minute, start it, all the gears are there and work good for a coulple of minutes, then they all go out again, when it sits there at idle it almost sounds the the hydro pump is sucking some air, anyone got any ideas?????? Fluid is clean and full
  • dbaker761dbaker761 Member Posts: 2
    Evidently there is a problem with the fan clutch that messes with the circuitry of the tranny. Check back on page 43 or so. They describe the same problem.
  • dbaker761dbaker761 Member Posts: 2
    Another transmission problem. 2005 Trailblazer will not shift into 4th gear. All other gears shift fine. Tranny shop is stumped. No metal in pan and no trouble codes. Computer is sending the command to shift but it's not happening. Any ideas?
  • showerqueenshowerqueen Member Posts: 2
    I can attest to the fan clutch issue. Had my tranny rebuilt on my 2003 with no results. Checked computer codes for check engine light and it showed fan clutch. New fan clutch solved the problem.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    dbaker761,

Unfortunately I don't have any technical resources to help you troubleshoot this. However, if you have any specific technical questions I can ask another department for any insight they'd be able to offer (in addition to your question, please include the last 8 of your VIN).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lgr420lgr420 Member Posts: 1
    on an 03 trailblazer reverse just wines, how do u know if its the fan clutch or the solinoide or the sun gear thing. thanks
  • rhonsrhons Member Posts: 1
    im looking to buy this suv off this guy he tells me that it will run and drive but after a few miles it wont drive no more he says it is a sensor or something i need to know if there is more then that wrong with these transmission :confuse:
  • powella1powella1 Member Posts: 5
    It's been so long ago I don't remember what exactly the problem is but it was not worth the repair - it was major. I had exact same issue and it gets progressively worse. We tried several things via dealer and no go. Finally learned its a part that they used at this time of inferior quality - and cost of fix was more than value of the "truck". And that was 4 or 5 years ago.
  • dwjlanierdwjlanier Member Posts: 1
    I am having an issue similar to many on this forum where my TB doesn't shift from 2nd to 3rd. I even tried the 1-2-3 drives on my stick and the 3 will not engage. Checked the fluid level, that is fine. I fear the cost of getting the trans rebuilt, lol. Are there any bulletins or advice you might have on this issue? The last 8 of my VIN are: 62286302. I have around 136K miles on it.
  • jpcloutierjpcloutier Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the automatic transmission on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer (4.2 I6) with a rebuilt one I bought from a reputable transmission shop in Denver. I do realize that even a rebuilt tranny has the potential for problems but before I yank out the rebuilt transmission out I need some help troubleshooting - PLEASE.

Problem: The transmission won't fully engage in drive and does not engage at all in any other gear (R, 3, 2, 1).

I will preface this by saying I have checked, double checked and checked again, at least 6 more times, all of my connection including oil cooling lines, electrical/wiring, transmission fluid while in park/idling and everything else I can think of.

Here is the situation...

The transmission and transfer case was removed from the engine block as a single unit. NOTE: It was a cumbersome and heavy SOB so if you are a DIY'er, like myself, I would highly recommend you remove the transfer case first then the transmission. The torque converter was NOT removed.

The removal and replacement of the transmission and transfer case was uneventful. Once everything was put back together, I filled it with 11 quarts of Dex VI (recommended by many on this forum) that I bought ($$$ - practically had to finance) from Chevy dealership. The capacity for the torque converter is 6 quarts and the pan is 5 quarts. I then started the car and let it idle while I checked the transmission fluid level. It was 6" up the dipstick so I assumed two things: #1: Either the torque converter was already full (since I never removed and drained it) and I overfilled the system, OR #2: The fluid didn't have a chance to circulate through the system. To test assumption #2 I shifted through the different "gears" (R, N, D, 3, 2, 1) while idling and in doing so I realized the car would not move in any gear. I left it in each gear for 10 seconds and shifted through all gears at least 5 times - to no avail.

The next morning, I jacked the car back up to check, yet again, my connections. I also tried starting the car, checking the (overfilled) fluid, and then tried putting the car in the different gears - while it was up on the jack stands. I noticed when the car was in "Drive" and I pressed on the gas pedal the rear tires would turn but only if I really accelerated. There was clearly no power to the rear end but it did have some (very little) power. None of the other gears would cause the rear tires to turn.

I went and removed approximately 5 - 6 quarts of transmission fluid from the pan. I then re-started the car, checked the dipstick and noticed the level was still high (3" up the stick) and then shifted the transmission through the different gears to see if the tires would turn. No change - When in Drive, the rear tires would turn slowly when accelerating. Otherwise - nada, nothing.

I am at a complete loss and cannot figure out what I am overlooking. It seems that fluid is not circulating but I don't know why. What steps do you recommend I take in troubleshooting this mystery?

Some of my thoughts are:

- Reset transmission?
    - Vacuum leak?
    - Bad electrical connection?
    - Too much fluid?
    - Wrong fluid type?
    - Bad transmission?
    - Take it to the shop to check codes?
    - Donate the car to charity?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.
  • cg2642cg2642 Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems I have over 200,000 miles and it has been a good car other than oxygen sensor up til this point but my car will drive fine for a min or so then as you try to give it gas it will not engage After this happens you turn car off for about 30 sec then turn on and it will go for another min fine and then do same thing I am thinking it the trans sensors but not sure can anyone make suggestions to what they think this might be?
    Thanks so much for input
  • piece0crappiece0crap Member Posts: 1
    hello, same problems, did u find a fix... thanks for your reply
  • viewbad1viewbad1 Member Posts: 1
    just started up a 2007 same problem, did you get a fix for yours
  • zcryfe525zcryfe525 Member Posts: 1
    HI! This exact same thins is wrong with my 2005 TB. Did u find a solution?
  • powella1powella1 Member Posts: 5
    It's been a while now, but I know we never fixed it and it got progressively worse. They told me that in those models Chevy used a cheap or bad transmission and the whole tranny would need replacing. It was a company car and they got me a new one rather than repair.
  • poolsadiepoolsadie Member Posts: 1

I have been told my transmission is done and $3800 for new one. Looking for thoughts - was driving normally (no previous issues with revving, or locking etc). Suddenly revving power just stopped, pulled to the side of road - slowly. Engine runs fine, and engine revs when pressing the accelerator but it just doesnt go anywhere??