Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    And.. chances are... the dealer won't discount either one of them anywhere close to enough to make it worth it....

I've found that you can rarely make a good deal on a demo or loaner...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tonedebonetonedebone Member Posts: 36
    19k miles seems a little high for a car that can't be more than a year old ? I'd be worried it'd been a little mistreated, especially if it was a short term lease. Also at 19k you've missed out on two services that are basically pre-loaded into the MSRP, so you need to deduct them (approx $1k) from depreciation calculations.

Personally I'd steer clear of dealers unless it's a brand new car.
  • presbypalpresbypal Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for everyone's comments.

What two services are preloaded? How would I find out if this car had those services provided?
  • tonedebonetonedebone Member Posts: 36
    The 7.5k, 15k & 21.5k services are provided "free" by Saab. The remaining services (and warranty) may only apply to the first original owner, so you may want to check on that too (and get it in writing).
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Do they have any brand new ones? I'd try looking around for the few remaining 2005 Aeros out there.

If not, could you be just as happy with the Linear? They drive differently, so be sure.

The reason I ask this is because Demos and Loaners aren't always good buys.

And 19,000 miles seems a little high for a 1 year lease. Were they highway or city miles? It makes a big difference.
  • wolftimwolftim Member Posts: 34
    Is that price with or without employee discount? When I bought my Aero, the dealership had a demo model Linear with auto. premium, and cold weather pkgs for 24.5K which then dropped to 17.5 with discounts. Not a bad price but it was auto. The manual will be more fun to drive but with 19000 miles it's not worth it. Wait for something better. Also, if you decide to get the auto, see if the dealer will either clean the fabric and fix the scratches or drop the price even further. Good luck.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    According to AutoWeek, the next-generation 9-2X will again be based on the (all-new '08) Impreza.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103084

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure they will distinguish it more this time around, being involved from the get-go.

Volvo S40/V50 is selling much better in this segment, so Saab can do better.

-juice
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Nope. No next generation 9-2X at all. GM sold their stake in Fuji and 06 is the last year for 9-2X. There is to be no further collaboration with Fuji.
  • chasmanchasman Member Posts: 16
    Hi All,

FWIW:

As GM Cuts Subaru Ties, Uncertainty About Saab Increases
    Wednesday October 5, 2:43 PM EDT
    Dow Jones Publishers of The Wall St. Journal
    -By John D. Stoll, Dow Jones Newswires; (313) 226-1249; john.stoll@ dowjones.com

" Top among the list of "synergies" GM had planned was to co-develop vehicles for the Subaru and Saab brands, including a crossover SUV called the 9-6X set for debut in 2007. Simonetti confirmed those plans have been canceled.

The 9-6X was seen as essential to creating momentum at Saab, which has stumbled with its recent launch of the small 9-2X wagon. The 9-2X was the first co-development with Subaru and could be killed from the lineup by 2008, according to industry trade publication Ward's Auto Reports."

" Nevertheless, Saab sits in a GM portfolio of brands that many industry experts say is too large and that is ripe for cutting. While GM executives fervently defend their commitment to Saab publicly, rumors have surfaced suggesting the division is up for sale and a possible suitor could be Renault SA (13190.FR) or a Chinese company."

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&news_id=dji-00086220051005&feed=d- ji&date=20051005&cat=INDUSTRY
    roomy enough for a 7 passenger crossover?
    They'd have to stretch it, probably.

Equinox is big outside, but it is terribly inefficient when it comes to use of space. Have you seen those cargo towers? They take up half the potential cargo space.

-juice
    Saturn put up a sneek peek of its upcoming Outlook Midsized Crossover.

I wonder if Saab could get a version...
    What platform is that on? The Rendezvous?

-juice
    I don't know. The Rendezvous/Aztek platform is too old.

I think its Lambda. That's supposed to be coming out 2008/2009 anyways.
  • fatnuggetfatnugget Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the new WRXs but I sure like the looks of the Saab 9-2X much better. The corporate site is still showing the 2005 model with no info on the 2006. Does anybody know if it is going to get the 2.5L turbo like the new WRX? I have driven a 2.5L turbo in a Forrester a few years ago and was very impressed with the drivetrain, of course it was ugly as all hell but in the Saab 9-2X it would perform as well as it looked. Getting anxious to replace my beater car with something fun and good looking.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    Yes, its powertrain going to be the same as 06 Impreza. Thus: new engine, same exterior interior as 05. Price: larger destination charge, thus almost unchaged. As you know there were huge discounts on it in summer (up to $7K on Aero), but probably not now for 06, anyway. If you wait long enough, you may get a good one again. However, the volume is very small, so it is a wash: wait too long - you may not get what you want. Wait too short - you learn your neighbor paid 1/4 less than you. There was a press release couple of month ago, see:
    http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewm- - onthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=503&docid=17195

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• unkownuserunkownuser Member Posts: 23
    I don't see much information on the 06 92-x. Will these ever be at dealer showrooms, or is the model dropped? If still to be a current model it seems they are missing a big part of the model year...
    will be produced for 2006, they just haven't hit showrooms yet. (either that or Saab is slow at updating their website)

The GM Fleet e-catalog has a 2006 9-2X listed. (go to www.gmfleet.com and poke around a little)
    It would compare more closely to a Jetta GLI, so for the price of a base Jetta, I'd prefer the 9-2x.

VW has heavily subsidized leases, though. I still would trust the reliability of the Subaru powertrain over the VeeDub.

-juice
    It Exists! Saab has updated its 9-2X page on its website.
    Wow... I just checked earlier this week, and all they had was info on the '05.... I thought it was done for, as well...

Just "built-my-own".. with everything except automatic... Right at $32K.. I wonder how long it will take for the $7000 incentives to kick in.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Only three colors... Red, Silver and Black on the Aero... On the base model, you can get also get gray, blue, and a different silver, in addition to the other colors...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

In the summer time maybe? Is GM going to bring back the GM Employee Pricing For Everyone campaign to clean house again in June?
    I wouldn't count on discounts that would match last years. All the info I have heard is that GM hopes to get away from the huge discounts by lowering the total price of the vehicles. As to if the total cost reduction, I haven't heard how it will compare.
    Well.. they need to get busy, then... Because the '06 model has the same high price as the '05 did... I know they lowered the price on a lot of cars, but I don't think they touched Saab...

Last May, people were buying loaded '05 Aero models for $8600 off of MSRP..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,162
    If I'm not mistaken, there is already a 3 grand (dealer or customer) on it, and it just came.

The only reason of not giving bogger discounts would be no supply, i.e. if they're are able to terminate delivery contract with FHI. We don't know when it is supposed to end and how many units they've contracted, so it is a guesswork now.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

They lowered the prices on the 9-5 and 9-3, but I'm not sure they paid any attention to the 9-7X and the 9-2X.
    It's all on paper until we see one.

-juice
    I did. NAIAS 2006. It was built in July 2005.
    Cool, so now we know for sure.

-juice
    I've got an '06 9-2X brochure. :)

Bob
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    So do I. The dealer here has four '06s on the lot. No Aero model in Canada for '06. Base price on the Linear dropped by CDN$2300 from '05.
    No Canadian Aero? Why?

Bob
    it was hidden between the barrier dividing Saab from Suzuki and the background behind the 9-7X, so I guess you could say they didn't want to emphasize it.

It was an Aero though, so America definitely has the Aero for 2006.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    Beats me, I haven't talked to a dealer about it. Perhaps volume was so low they could only justify the one model for 2006. So they cut the price, tweaked the features (e.g., you can now get the Xenon lights on it here, unlike last year) and now it's just the 9-2X, no Linear or Aero.
    The one I saw at NAIAS was definitely an Aero, and I think they are keeping both 2.5i and Aero.

I don't know why its down to 1 model in Canada though...
    I went to the dealership last Wednesday and saw only one new 9-2X, and it was a linear. I also saw what I would assume was a totaled 2005 Aero, but I can't be sure. So I guess they are out there but it is slim pickings.
    Has the discounting frenzy that happened last year started yet on the 9-2X? That was an effective way of cleaning out all the inventory sitting around.
  • mikeg444mikeg444 Member Posts: 17
    I am with you on that one. I am all over a 2006 9-2x Aero when hopefully GM brings out some good discounts. Right now they are offering $3000 cash or 4.9% for 72 months. Not bad but I am hoping to pick one up close to last years prices.

Anyone have any thoughts on leasing versus buying? I bring this up only cause I here they might not be making the 9-2x after this year and I'm not sure I want to be stuck with a car no longer in production.
    During the Red Tag event the Aero was $19.4k, a screaming deal.

-juice
    I'd buy because depreciation is sure to be steep on this thing with all the rebates that GM is tossing on it.

And parts can always be had at a Subaru dealer- this car is just a Subaru with a Saab badge.
    Buy vs. Lease?

In leasing, you don't have to worry about actual depreciation... just what depreciation the finance company assigns to the vehicle...

If the figure is overly rosy, then you should certainly lease.. and let the finance company take the hit..

Generally, Saabs have terrible re-sale... but, they often make good leases, because the residuals assigned by GMAC/SFS are unrealistically high.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I guess like any big ticket purchase it is all in the negotiating. C'mon Red Tag event ! ! !

Has anyone driven the 2006 9-2x? Is there much difference with the new engine? I test drove the 2005 and did not find the turbo lag terrible as some have. Of course one of my current rides is a 94 Miata so in no way am I used to a torquey motor right off the line.
    I didn't know that GMAC/SFS assigns some unrealistic residuals. Shouldn't they know that Saabs depreciate heavily?
    They know... They also know that if they assign realistic residuals, no one will lease their cars...

They have to compete with BMW and Audi... Most of that market wants to lease... if your leases aren't competitive, you don't stand a chance...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Does anyone know what the current lease offers are on a 9-2x Aero?
    Interesting.

Might be time to start telling friends to consider leasing Saabs...
    Funny thing is Subaru has traditionally done the opposite - i.e. they tend to forecast low residuals, and dealers that get lease-returns can actually sell the cars for a substantial profit. This is one of a Subaru dealer's primary profit makers.

I guess if you lease, lease a 9-2x, let Saab absorb the loss.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat..

You can pump up the residual... that is the "pay me later" plan...

Or.. you can put dealer/customer cash incentives on the car... that is the "pay me now" plan..

Saab has done both in the past.. In any case, they usually have a lot of lease incentives in place.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

This discussion has been closed.