Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-2X

Comments

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Yeah, but at least redesign the handles so consumers don't think that they're getting a warmed over Impreza.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    consumers AREN'T getting a warmed over Impreza? :-P

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    they ARE getting a warmed over Impreza, but some people are so easily fooled.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,947
    You mean that, in your opinion, any consumer buying the 9-2 has been "easily fooled"?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    they are getting a Saab in name only - the car is a Subaru. HOWEVER, I should add that it appears the price for the 9-2 is going to be VERY little higher than the price for the WRX, for a car that will include a Saab face and probably leather seats, I would think. So if they want to think it is a Saab, that is OK - the deal is still not bad.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    exactly. It probably won't be a bad deal. I for one am looking forward to checking this car out and considering it for purchase. And I'm not getting "fooled" because I know exactly what it is. And that is the only reason I'm even considering it. If it was purely Saab, then I'd have to think twice and thrice, but since its a WRX underneath, it just makes me want it more. So to assume that buyers would want this thing because it is a Saab is very shortsighted. Maybe that will be the case of some who don't know any better and would never consider a Subaru, but that can't be assumed to be the case for everyone who buys one of these.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    back when Ford compact trucks had those little stickers that said something like "powered by Mazda" and Dodge Colts had stickers that said "by Mitsubishi" on them? Well, the 9-2 should have little "by Subaru" stickers on them!

Except of course, Saab buyers probably want nothing to do with that plebeian Japanese brand! (looks down nose) :-P

• Options
    of course i remember (psst.. it wasn't that long ago). Heck, having a mazda heart is the only reason I would have bought that Ford and same goes for the Dodge (although i'm not fond of mitsu, but that's another story).

Same thing here. Only reason I'd buy this saab is the subaru inside. BUT, I won't buy right away because it might have Saab resale value *gasp* and I can pick one up with a couple hundred miles for, what, $5-$10K? ;)

• Options

• Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    gotta admit, that fishbowl image of the new 9-2 front end....good job making the front end look like a Saab. But then you make your way to the door handles and yes, they look very Impreza.....they really ought to reshape the door handles to look like typical Saab handles.

I really hope they redo the interior but what I've heard is its a Subaru warmed over. Key moved, most likely.

Tall guys won't like the 9-2.....the WRX has no room in it or to get in and out. How will all those independent, private college, stoic tall bike riding scandinavians like this car when they can't get in out or out of it and push the seat back far enough?
  • Options
    I found the WRX very comfortable and I'm 6'5". But, to my utter disbelief, other tall folks have complained about it.

In comparison, I bought a Volvo instead of the WRX and find it incredibly comfortable once inside but much more difficult to get out of the Volvo than the ReX.

• Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    with those stupid frameless windows.
  • Options
    it won't be very obvious.

• Options
    after owning my diamante I can vouch for frameless windows looking cool but sucking.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    ...all look too much like the WRX. I'm sure it would be a major expense to change any of these, though. Although I've not ridden in a WRX or Impreza, I would venture to guess that a Saab version could use some additional sound deadening.
  • Options
    wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    That's because it is a WRX! ;-)

Actually the WRX is pretty quiet as a highway cruiser. You really should take one for a test drive you'd be surprised.

-Ian
  • Options
    I wouldn't be easily fooled as a 9-2 buyer because I know exactly what I'm getting- a WRX with a Saab front end, leather seats, and a few other luxury items. The WRX platform just makes me want it more than if it were a Saab based, Saab engineered and Saab designed car. (not that I WOULDN'T like it, just that I'd probably prefer the WRX)
  • Options
    exactly where i'm coming from.

can't wait to check this car out in person. Its on my shorter list of prospects as my next purchase.

• Options
    my neighborhood is filled (and I mean FILLED) with small luxury cars. The BMW 3-Series is a popular choice. And, it's showing up on my list for next car along with the 9-3, A4, TSX, I35, G35, S40, S60, LS, and X-Type.
  • Options
    a big list - lots of fun test driving! :-)

• Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Frameless windows suck. They simply don't seal as well as windows with frames, so they increase noise and are more likely to leak. It's a stupid design.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Porsche 911 turbo and BMW M3 also have frameless windows. Guess those suck, too? ;-)

I'm in the minority, but I like the idea. Saab can pick up where Subaru leaves off in terms of price. They can offer things the WRX does not - like heated leather, navigation, HIDs, etc. All this stuff can be taken off the shelf from Japan.

People gawk at a $30k Subaru, but a $30k Saab 9-2 Aero with heated leather all loaded up, and people won't mind so much. In fact they'll expect that.

The styling is very nice, in fact I'm a huge Subaru fan but I'll admit it, the Saab looks better than the Impreza.

Think about it - lots and lots of people love the WRX but feel the interior is too cheap or certain features are missing. You would not believe how many former S4 owners shop the WRX, many still buy it, but would prefer something like the 9-2.

As for Saab being unique, well, the Malibu shares the Epsilon platform, the SUV will be a Chevy. That fight was lost a long time ago. Isn't the 9-5 based on some Opel platform? Saab doesn't make unique platforms.

-juice
  • Options
    had them on 2 Diamantes now. The windows themselves are fine. The rear door weatherstripping comes apart though which can let in noise. But the windows always stay true.

If I had a choice though, even though it doesn't look as good, give me frames.
  • Options
    The rear view is a dead ringer for the WRX wagon. They could have differentiated more.

The front looks nice, even the hood scoop looks integrated.

Those wheels are unique, too.

-juice
  • Options
    if those rims are bigger than the standard 16"ers on the Impreza.

The back is definitely a dead ringer for the Impreza. Probably the thing that will have the most impact, though, is how well they differentiated the inside. Just putting leather surfaces on the seats, methinks, will not be enough.

• Options
    I agree. I think it should have thicker carpets, a padded headliner, maybe some wood in place of the silver paint that's supposed to look like aluminum (but doesn't).

Leather should be standard, if only to differentiate. Subaru does not offer leather at all, so there would be no overlap.

Moonroof optional. Maybe HIDs and Navigation as options, too.

-juice
  • Options
    means a lotta fun car shopping, a very good idea as to which dealers are nice, and which are naughty, and a lotta fun driving different cars!!! (especially if I take out the Saab 9-3 on GM's 24 hour test drive program!!)
  • Options
    the $20K celica has HIDs, I think all premium-pretending brands need to have them AT LEAST as optional. Not that I like those stupid things - they are blinding to everyone else. But it's a question of the Saabs of the world staying in the race...

• Options
    harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    It may not be direct, but for fun factor and price...I just read about two different vehicles that will make the early 9-2 launch a good thing.

Lotus Elise due in the US. Priced in mid-30s with Toyota engines and razor-wire handling.

VW Concept R. Might be a 2006 model, but it is basically a VW version of the Porsche Boxter with the V6 currently in the hot Golf R32 package. Price to be around $30k.

Also, Hyundai is launching a Tibby Convertable, and everyone is taking their shot at a suped up econobox on wheels. I also read something about a hot V6 option in the MB SportCoupe for around $27k...I could be off a bit on the price though.

It is a stiff market out there. So much better for all of us. I may just have to wait a year and buy my 9-2 after they start handing out the deep discounts.
  • Options
    now you've done it! I think that Elise is probably the most desirable car to be sold in the U.S. under $50K...they say it will be available in May. I want one!

• Options
    I agree about the HIDs. I mainly don't like them because I drive a Miata. Try having an X5 pull up behind you when your top is down.

But customers are demanding that stuff.

I find the Concept R very appealing, especially since I might actually be able to afford one!

-juice
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I have had the same experience with my Miata! Truly annoying for the person in the Miata.
  • Options
    I think they should be banned, and anyone that needs that much light to see should have their license revoked. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Along with everyone that drives around with their foglights on whenever their headlights are on... This is a new pet peeve for me, since I'm still pretty sensitive to light from my LASIK.

Back on topic, I think the Saab-ized WRX is very intriguing. I've wanted a WRX wagon for a while but the Saab looks better and will have all the luxury goodies for not much more $$$ than the Subie. And since the insurance companies have raised rates on the WRX due to all the street racers who've been wrapping their Rexes around trees I'd bet insurance will be cheaper as well.

What's not to like?

-Jason
  • Options
    Had LASIK last year myself.

Initially, at least, I bet insurers will base the 9-2 on WRX claim histories.

-juice
  • Options
    theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    What happened to the pics I posted?
  • Options
    jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    but I wonder if the insurers are really that savvy. At any rate I don't think the Saab will attract the "Fast and Furious" crew at nearly the rate the Subie did, which is a very good thing.

Lasik rocks. Wish I'd have done it years ago.

-Jason
  • Options
    good point about insurance rates....
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    The name of this vehicle will be the 9-2X, so I've changed the discussion title.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    a production model will be available for a looky-loo at the NAIAS in January. At least, according to autonews.com

• Options
    Looks like they didn't change that much on the inside. The steering wheel and seats look a little different, that's about it. It's not a very good pic, though.

-juice
  • Options
    a crappy pic! But everything looks mostly the same. Let's hope there is better cloth or leather covering those door panels and seats.

• Options
    wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I guess you couldn't really expect more from GM, who seem to be doing their best to revive badge engineering (witness their "new?!" Crossover Sport Vans...same as it ever was, same as it ever was....) but I thought there might be a bit more Saab in the 9-2X than just the grille & a steering wheel. Although I'm a big Sube fan (& Saab fan, for that matter), the WRX wasn't exactly a looker from the get-go...if Saab wanted to save $$$ and attain a new model by using someone else's, you'd think they could've ponied-up a little cash for some new sheet metal.
    I can't imagine anyone driving this and feeling like they're driving a Saab, unless GM spent the $$$ changing all the aural & touchy/feely stuff.
  • Options
    Nope, not even the steering wheel is new. I think it's just a black version of the one from the WRX STi, not all-new.

Pros:
    * 3 spoke wheel
    * cleaner front end styling
    * more fabric/less plastic on the side panel (Forester's?)
    * rear looks to get 2 cup holders from Forester

Cons:
    * loses cup holder high on dash (moved to?)
    * white/cream interior will stain
    * rear end design very unimaginative, like pre-2004 WRX

-juice
  • Options
    not bad. At least they spent some $$ on refreshing the interior. Although I do think the cream interior will attract an aweful batch of stains.......
  • Options
    the more I think how thinly disguised the Subaru is in this new 9-2.

Wonder if the "Aero" will have the same turbo boost gauge on its own little stalk that the WRX does. I am pretty sure every Saab ever has had a boost gauge - please correct me if I'm wrong. They are always in the dash wth the other gauges, but there does not appear to be room for that here.

• Options
    the interior does look upgraded to me.... Or is that just the application of some metal trim? I don't know. It just looks better to me.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Is it me or they not even try to move the ignition?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...they didn't even try.

I have to agree - the more I see it the less different it looks than the Subaru.
  • Options
    theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    I think if it had a body-colored D pillar, it would look better.
This discussion has been closed.