Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• tbperrytbperry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 S-10.
    At 95 mph the engine cuts out.
    There does not seem to be anything else wrong, so I am thinking this is the work of a on-board speed limiter (booo!). This is my first American car/truck in a long time, and needless to say I am disappointed. Especially since I had a 3 cylinder Geo Metro that could do 105. Is there an aftermarket chip that will bypass this? Or do I sit it out and wait for motorcycle season to start.
  • wldhairwldhair Member Posts: 5
    my lease is up on my 98 Silverdao and I'm considering downsizing to a S10 v-6 4x4 ext cab. (2 daughters in college is the reason why) After reading most of the comments in here, not so sure its a good Idea --- Does anybody out there own one of these? and if so is anyone happy with it -- y'all got me scared to death. Somebody help me out here. I have to decide in 2 days!!
    By the way I loved the Silverado-- Great truck!!
  • donw3donw3 Member Posts: 6
    Wldhair,

I have a 99 S10 4x4 regular cab with a v6 and a 5 speed. It is a very basic truck. However, I am extremely happy with it. I have only put 8500 miles on it since I bought it on Septermber 1, 1999, but it has performed flawlessly so far. The only thing I have done is change the oil. If you can, avoind the Tiger Paw tires that come on some s10's. They are terrible. Mine came with Goodyear Wranglers and I am very happy with them. As for performance, the v6 pulls very hard. The only small pickup trucks on the street that might give you trouble will be the v8 powered Dodge Dakotas and they are rare. Otherwise, no other small truck and not many of the so called high performance big trucks will give you any trouble if you are competitively inclined. I've had occasion to do that only twice and it was no contest. My truck didn't even work up a sweat. I never had to tach over 4000 RPM to smoke either competitor.

I think that what happens on this discussion board, as on many others, is that people who have problesm, (no doubt some do have them) are disproportionately represented when compared to the total population of S10 owners. That is not their fault. They are simply looking for anwers, while those who aren't having any problems are not as vocal.

Don Williams
  • wldhairwldhair Member Posts: 5
    donw3--- thanks for your input -- I was wondering if anybody out there owned one that ran right -- I'll call the dealer and ask what kind of tires are on the truck--
    Thanks aagin
    wldhair
  • wdrichardswdrichards Member Posts: 1
    To Wldhair,

I agree with donw3. I purchased a 2000 S-10 4x4 extended cab V6/Auto/Air/CD in late December, so I've only got about 1,500 miles on it, but haven't had any trouble so far. I've owned a 96 Chevy fullsize extended cab and a 98 Chevy fullsize Crewcab, and I like the S-10 much better than either of them! It's a whole lot faster and easier to park than the Crewcab, and gets a lot better mileage too. I've been averaging 19 mpg driving 90 miles everyday to work and back, with 3/4 of it highway miles. I didn't get the ZR2 package, so it sits taller than a 2WD S-10 but lower than the ZR2. It came with Goodyear Wrangler tires that aren't great, but are better than the Uniroyal Tigerpaws. Good luck in your decision.
  • jcknutzjcknutz Member Posts: 1
    I think that the s-10 is a great truck. I have a 96 ZR2 and I love it. I have had some minor problems with it, but it also has 80,000 miles on it. This truck will take you anywhere you want to go. And it has power to spare. I was looking at the Toyota vs. ZR2 area and they are stubborn people. My friend has a 2000 Tacoma and I wouldn't even think about trading him. I think my truck is a superior truck.
  • rbetkerbetke Member Posts: 3
    I ordered my new S10 LS 4x4 regular cab at the end of September and finally got it on the 20th of January. I got the truck pretty much fully loaded and absolutely love it. Unfortunately I was driving it the other day and it popped out of 4th gear. It's presently at the garage being looked at. I'm hoping that it's simply a linkage problem since it pops into neutral with the truck just sitting there not even running. I just hope this isn't an omen! The truck only has 200 miles on it. My old truck was an 85 S10 with the V6 and 4 speed manual tranny, and it was great! No major problems in 140,000 miles. Also ... I put in my vote for the Tiger Paw tires being a piece of crap as far as traction goes. I didn't realize how bad they were until I got my new S10 with the Goodyear tires on it. I thought that the poor traction was because of the light truck, but find out that the tires just sucked. One thing I can say good about them, though, is that they lasted forever! I got over 60,000 miles out of each set.
  • rockbullrockbull Member Posts: 3
    I own a 98 GMC Sonoma ext cab with the third door
    I have 39,000 mi on it and haven't had it 1.5 yrs
    I'm wanting to put bigger tires on it....
    It had tiger paw's on it now YUCK
    I love this truck
    It has the sport suspension on it too...it loves the rough road...
    Hi,

I got my truck back from the garage and the problem with it shifting out of 4th gear was simply caused by the shifter boot. There's some sort of retainer on it that wasn't properly installed and it was causing limited shifter travel. I was very happy to hear that it wasn't something serious.

Randy
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    those tiger paws are junk I replaced mine with michelins....what a difference! I know its a light truck (2wd) with little weight in back but give me a break....the rear end would slide at the hint of rain! get some good tires like michelin-----had good luck with them. replaced mine at 5000 miles, most tire dealers will give you free rotation every 5000 miles also
  • jhg46jhg46 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my new S10 for just over 3 months now and have 3300 miles on it. I got rid of my '97 Dodge Ram 2WD SB 5.2 5sp...it just felt too big for driving in heavy traffic in the Bay Area (and it developed too many problems, but that's another story)...guess I'm a little-truck kinda guy, at least for day-to-day driving. Sure is easy to get around in parking lots. So far, so good, with the S10 except for a few things...

1) Those factory Tiger Paws (DOT Traction rating "B") break loose any time the streets are wet. It's very hard not to get some rear wheel spin, especially when accelerating around a right hand turn. I wonder if a Posi unit would help? I can't help but wonder when I'm going to experience some hydroplaning with those darn things. I have had other Tiger Paws on an '85 GMC S15 and an '87 S10 Blazer and have had no such trouble, but the DOT Traction rating on those tires is an "A". Guess that might be the difference. The tread patterns appear somewhat different between the "A" rated and "B" rated tires. It's hard to believe that Chevy would put such crummy tires on new trucks when they boast about how safe their vehicles are. I put Michelin RainForce on the rear of the S15 (2WD SB 2.8 Auto) and they seem to be VERY good in the rain (they're rated "A" for Traction).

2) The second problem is an oil leak at one of the engine oil cooler lines where it connects to the oil filter adapter. I'll take it in to the dealer in a week or so...I think they should be able to fix it.

3) My truck cuts-out at 95 mph, too, and I don't know why, either. I also thought that it might have some sort of rev or speed limiter. Anyone know about that? By the way, the little truck is mighty eager and gets to 95 mph just about as fast as that '97 Ram 5.2. In fact, I can't help but wonder if it might have beat it there!

4) I agree that it seems more folks talk about their truck's problems here rather that the good things about their S10s. Whatever. We all need to vent. I do know that I love my ol' '85 S15, and still drive 'er once in a while even though she's getting a bit long in the tooth at 205,000 miles (yes, I had to put in a new factory 2.8 at 67,000--but since then, not a single problem other than regular maintenance). And I'm really liking the new S10--the 4.3 Auto is the way to go, especially in traffic. Good luck to all S10-ers!
  • amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    Just bought a 2000 Extreme w/2.2 Vortec 4 banger and 5 Speed. Truck has 800 trouble free miles,
    all freeway. Limiter cuts in at 93 mph. My ole
    '95 Ranger 2.3L ext. cab with 5 sp tranny could
    do 112 mph. Any info on disabling the limiter?
    Truck gets great mileage and quite responsive
    around town for a four banger...Am happy I don't
    have to replace timing belt and 8 sparking plugs,
    2.2L is chain driven cam drive and 4 plugs...good
    for 100,000 miles not 60K as on Ranger
  • cougar12cougar12 Member Posts: 3
    wldhair! I have owned my 1993 s-10 4wd with a 4.3 litre v-6 since it was new it has a 4L60E tranny, I have 162,476 miles on it. The only thing i have ever had to do to my truck is routine mntnce, o/2 sensor at 145,000 and replace the prom chip at 112,000 I get 20mpg local and 26mpg on the highway. I have hauled up to 2300pds in desperate times {not advised} my truck does not use a drop of oil{q/s 10-30} and approximately 1 month ago I ran a compression test on the engine and it read 125pds about 98% of the 132pds when new. I am now running FALKEN 205/75R14 tires on it, they are the best I have found for snow,ice,mud,and water.In my opinion as an ex-ford lover s-10's are the best running,and more power than th ford ranger v-6 on the road today. I am getting ready to buy a new one, but will definately keep this one for a runaround. S-10's rule!!!!!!
  • pokeyjoe17pokeyjoe17 Member Posts: 8
    It just turned 10,000 on Sunday. TIGER PAWS are crap! I was wondering if anybody with the 4cyl manual has had poor gas mileage like mine. I would say that 85-90% of my miles are on the flattest of FLAT Illinois highways (55-65 MPH). I have kept track since mile #7. I have averaged 21.23 MPG. I took a non-stop trip to Ohio and calculated the MPG to be 23.2 (with tailgate down). The sticker said 24-29 MPH average on highways. I don't even come close. I don't punch it at lights/tolls etc. I baby the thing a bit. It is starting to drive me nuts. Is there a way to improve the MPG more? Do I have the wrong size (crappy) tires?

Also, I can hear crackeling in the cab when it is cold. I suspect it is the insulation/plastic in the cab making the noise when it warms up.

My biggest concern is the "noise" when shifting say from a 5th into 4th or 3rd (at low rpms) around turns/curves. I think it comes from the driveshaft/rear end u-joint. Anybody else hear it?

Other than that, I have no complaints yet. OH wait, the FM reception is pretty lousy too. If I am 30-40 miles from the Sears Tower (where many FM's are transmitted from), the reception starts to go. Other cars can pick it up much farther than mine.

I almost forgot about the condensation on the indside of the headlight lenses after I give it a bath.

I think I covered all of them. I am rather satisfied with it.

any suggestions? my email: pokeyjoe17@hotmail.com
  • sandmn767sandmn767 Member Posts: 1
    Just wantd to let everyone know that the repair cost I was quoted for this motor change is.......
    2984.00 parts
    1265.00 labor
    261.00 tax
    80.00 tow
    4590.00 TOTAL- sounds like GM is making a killing on us poor fools huh?? Keep up the defective parts GM, we love getting stabbed in the back..
    Hi,

I agree with "jhg46's" comment about people only writing about the bad stuff about their S10's. Here are some of the things that I love about my new truck ... with the 4.3 V6, the beast has all sorts of power. I've read some reviews about the seat position being too low. I'm 5'8" and haven't noticed any problems at all with the position. Seems very normal to me. I've also read reviews about the interior being 'cheap' looking. Again, I have the LS trim package, and I think it looks pretty nice inside. I happen to really like the automatic headlights. Haven't had to mess with the headlights since I bought the truck! With the Goodyear tires, it gets great traction ... please note that I got the limited slip diff., so that helps too, I'm sure. I -love- all the gauges and the way everything is visible and easy to reach. I've noticed that a lot of cars have a steering wheel that blocks some of the instruments, cruise control stuff and that sort of thing ... not so with the S10. I like the rotary switches for the fan and heater.
    I like the great visibility. The only problem is when you try to look straight back due to the tall seats, but even that is't a major problem. There's enough room to see around them or you can use the huge mirrors for backing up. I like the automatic volume control on the radio that increases the volume the faster the truck goes. (this feature can be disabled if you don't like it) All in all, I think it's a great little truck. So far there hasn't been a thing that I really don't like about it. A couple of things I'd like to see added as options would be the automatic dimming rear view mirror, compass, and thermometer, and a leather interior. I'm sure that some people would say that these aren't 'truck' features, but I use my truck as my every day vehicle. As a matter of fact, the only new cars I've ever owned have been trucks! (80 GMC,
    85 S10, and my new 2000 S10)

Randy
    the $1250 rebate is extended til april, enough time to order one. love my 99 but with the rebate I might have to get a 2000. BTW had good luck with S10's my 83 had over 300,000 on it. love the 4.3's power!
  • superman1975superman1975 Member Posts: 10
    I don't know why, but I've had very little problems with my Tiger Paws. I really don't mash the gas and have only broken the tires loose on 3-4 occasions accidentally. I have been really happy with the truck, other than the fact that the 2200 has little power. But hey, that's my fault for not getting the 4.3. It still has enough oomph to get me where I need to go. I haven't been stuck yet (knock on wood) in either snow or mud, but I know that this is no 4X4 and try to stay out of those situations. I made the mistake of leasing the truck, but when my lease is up I will probably buy a brand new S-10 4X4 with all the options I want.
    How long is your lease?
    You must not drive very far....
    I can't lease a truck !!!
    I have a 98 GMC Sonoma that has 40,000
    on it and I haven't had it 2 years
    but when you drive around 70 mi a day
    it doesn't take long
    What kind of gas mileage are you getting??
    I getting aroung 24-26 mpg
  • superman1975superman1975 Member Posts: 10
    Stupid me leased it for 5 years. I only HAVE to drive it about 4 miles round trip to work and back. In town I get about 22-24. I don't recommend the lease unless you intend to "throw away" the truck when you are done. You don't have anything to show for it. The only reason that I leased this one is because it would have cost me about $100 more a month to buy. Besides that, there is a 15,000 mile limit per year, and if you go over that you are paying out the nose. You would most definitely be paying out the nose driving that many miles!!

Superman
  • spud10spud10 Member Posts: 2
    Do any of you know when the 4.3L engine changed over to fuel injection?
    in the 80's
  • lukyluky Member Posts: 1
    If your're into performance you should check out sportruck.com. This is an excellent place for questions/ideas/opinions on S10's. See you there!

Luky
    I'm looking for a solid (fiberglass) cover for my S10, (not a cap) does anybody have one and did you notice an increase in mpg after installing it?
  • mabrams1mabrams1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 S-10 Ext. Cab V-6 with almost 90K miles. Believe it or not, I am still running the original tires that came on the truck which are Uniroyal Tiger Paws. My tire man says they have about 10K miles left. They have even wear all the way around and have been rotated every 5K miles.
    No complaints here!
    you must not get any moisture where you live.
  • yotaboy1yotaboy1 Member Posts: 6
    Spud10: The 4.3 got FI in 1987

Pokeyjoe17: Try running different brands of gas or switching octane. I had an s-10 4 cylinder that would get about 5 mpg better on Texaco 89 octane gas than anything else. Different brands of gas have different detergents and additives, your engine may like one better than the other.
  • spud10spud10 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info yotaboy1. Would you also happen to know when they changed from Throttle Body Injection to Tuned Port Injection?
  • mgreene8mgreene8 Member Posts: 8
    First of all, thanks for any and all assistance.
    I'm considering the purchase of a `98 S-10. I'm currently driving an `84 Blazer.

The dealer just got the S-10 this week and I got to give it a quick once-over today before it is placed on the general lot. What I know so far: Ext.Cab LS, 3rd Door, Auto, V6, Overdrive, 2WD, 33k+ miles, lease turn-in, dual air bags, 1-owner(maybe). The underbody did not show signs of excessive wear or abuse, however, there was a possible indication of an oil leak in the engine or a fluid leak where the drive shaft joins the rear axle (and I, for-the-life-of-me, cannot think of the name of the part). Any problems in these areas?? There was also a black deposit along the center of the muffler and when I inquired, I was told that it was the soot by-product of unleaded gas coming out the seep hole of the muffler. ???? I haven't driven the truck yet so I can't speak to any handling problems. However, the `99 I tested for comparison seemed to not hug the curves. And I did have some difficulty seeing over the hood to the right front corner; I'm 5'6". Can the seat height be adjusted or would you have to get an aftermarket seat? Are there any specific areas that I should inquire about before any further consideration? The truck was garaged in a non-snow state, but whether the owner took it to snow, I do not know. And I would also like to know if mpg is increased with a hard bed cover?

Again thanks for your help.
  • derekshawnderekshawn Member Posts: 10
    After all of my problems (see posting #77) with my 98 s-10, I decided to get rid of it before it the warranty expired and I was stuck paying repairs on that piece of junk. I now own a 2000 Ranger XLT and love it. And now I don't know why anybody would pick the s-10 over the ranger. The ranger is obviously a more reliable truck, it rides smoother and is so much quieter, and it just feels so much sturdy than the s-10. I has friends that were considering a new s-10 but after seeing me drive rental cars all the time because of the s-10 being in the shop, they reconsidered. I owned a 94 ranger before my 98 s-10 and thought I'd give Chevy a try.......BIG MISTAKE! If anybody else is considering the s-10, take a look at the ranger before you make your final decision.
    ok you had a lemon, that doesnt mean all S10's are bad. had 300,000 trouble free miles on my 83. my new one has 15,000 on it and I havent had any of the problems you had. I drove a 4 cyl and hated it....no power. so I got the V6. and yes I bought both new.
    I have friends that own or have owned s-10s ranging from 1985-1993 and have had no major problems at all and they're still running. But from 1994 and up, they just aren't built the same. After 19,000 miles my transmission went out! I'd say thats pretty major on a new truck. My friend's 89 s-10 has 150,000 miles and the transmission is still working fine. Good luck on your new s-10, I just hope you have better luck than I did. Who knows, I might look at them again when they completely restyle them in a couple of years. I am really curious to see what kind of changes will be made both inside and out. Until then, I'm happy with my ranger :):).
  • mgreene8mgreene8 Member Posts: 8
    sj2000: Have you looked into a Leer tonneau for your S-10? That's what was recommended to me for my future truck. I believe the link is http://www.leer.com/ Scroll right once you get there and you'll see their menu. Would also appreciate your thoughts on res#137. Thanks.
    I sorry you had so much trouble with your S-10
    I have a 98 Sonoma that I have not have 2 years
    and it has over 41,000 miles on it
    the only problem that I have had on it,
    is that the rear seal on the differential
    leaked but that's it.
    yotaboy1: thanks for the info. I normally use Amoco 87. I'll filler on something new. Hope the prices go down!
    yotaboy1: thanks for the info. I normally use Amoco 87. I'll filler on something new. Hope the prices go down!

I will be picking up a liner this spring. Anybody have suggestions. I would like a non slip RHINO type but I don't want to shell out the dough for it. My brother heard about a do it yourself spray on. Any luck with these?
    you're thinking of herculiner, k-mart has it for $100, you need to buy other stuff also, everything isnt in the kit. I've heard good thing about the bedrug, easy install, think its $300
  • brohogbrohog Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 s-10 with 4 cylinder engine and auto transmission. The transmission seems like it does not want to upshift. It is really slow and soft. The dealer says it is okay and it was manufactured to have soft shifts. I still don't think it is working okay. By the way, the gas mileage is off about 33-50%. Any infor would be appreciated.
  • rjrmnrjrmn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 S10 ext. cab, 4 cyl, automatic. This
    model has a 2 piece drive shaft. Starting from a dead stop there is a brief shudder in the driveline. Dealer replaced drive shaft and played with shims to adjust rear axle/drive shaft angle with no change. We drove 4 other S10s with same drive train and they all did the same thing! Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there a "cure"? Thanks!
    My '98 s10 had the auto tranmission too. And I always felt that I had to floor it just to get it to slightly upshift. And then, after it broke down and the transmission had to be rebuilt, every time the rpm's would rev high and it was about to shift, the transmission made a high pitched "hollow" sound that was really annoying. I took it back to the dealer to have this problem resolved only to be told that I was just "hearing things" and it was given back to me. As far as gas mileage goes, my s-10 would literally drink gas as if it was a v6 or something. I found myself going through a tank of gas every 4 to 5 days, and it only got worse after the transmission was rebuilt. My opinion is that because you have to constantly floor the truck to make it go anywhere or go up a little hill, this caused most of the gas consumption. I opted for the v6 in the ranger I own now and I am loving it. And even though the engine is supposed to get worse gas mileage than the 2.2 in the s-10, it actually gets alot better.
  • bkbxxbkbxx Member Posts: 1
    I have an 85 s-10. It is an automatic and 4wd. It's got about 123,000 miles on it. It's also not fuel injected. The truck runs great and there have been no major problems with it. However if it's been sitting for about 5-7 hours (during school,) it makes a loud squeeling noise for about twenty seconds. It runs just like normal after that. I think it might have something to do with the belts but I'm not sure. The strange thing is that it doesnt make the noise in the morning when I first start it or if it's just been sitting for less than 2-3 hours. If anybody knows what this is and how to deal with it I would appreciate it. Thanks, Brian.
  • mm_in_pamm_in_pa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 S-10 with the L35 high output 4.3 vortec engine, and 13000 miles. After it warms up to operating temperature, and I shut it off and start it up, it has a spark knock. I have had it to a couple dealers and they say it is normal. I am skeptical. I had a vortec before, and never experienced this.

Have any of you had this problem? And how did they fix it?
    It isnt normal I have the LF6(woo hoo 5 hp difference?), 16k. Keep taking it in. The dealer apparently doesnt know how to fix it or doesnt want to fix it. Try a different dealer or call GM. You know what they say about the squeaky wheel.....keep bugging em especially since its under warranty!!
  • caddyshackcaddyshack Member Posts: 6
    I have a '96 S10 extended cab 4x4. It has the L35 4.3 V6, 5-speed manual transmission. I've not experienced knocking in the 69,000 miles I've put on it since new.

However, I've had on three occassions a missfire on a cold start, as though one cylinder was not firing. The CHECK ENGINE light would then come on. On all three occassions it would clear as soon as I was able to get on the road and give it the gas. A study of the function of the CHECK ENGINE light in the owners manual helped to lessen the worry somewhat. On the first occassion it took a week and nearly 300 miles before the CHECK ENGINE light would go back out. On the other two occassions it was considerably less.

I took the truck to my mechanic (AAA approved) and after the truck was checked out he told me that the truck's computer would only store the coding that indeed a missfire did take place, but not the reason. He told me that he was familiar with a problem Chevy has with that engine in that the ports on the fuel injectors are too small and clog easily, causing the stumble. Since the injector was squirting when told to do so, the computer could only detect the misfire, not the fuel problem (since the injector was squirting when told to do so). At the time Chevy was considering a recall.

The recall was and is now in effect. I took my truck to the dealer, but nothing was really done about it. The entire block of injectors have to be replaced, an expensive job, just to take care of the offending injector.

Other than that, I've not experienced any major problems with the truck. At 18,000 miles I had a water pump housing crack. At 30,000 miles the top seal on the transmission started to leak. Both were replaced under warranty. The truck continues to look good, run good, and the interior and exterior has held up well in the desert/mountain region I live in.
  • ddrewddrew Member Posts: 1
    purchased truck on reputation but found out after delivery the manual shift is is anything but smooth. actually sometimes grinds shifting up. Took to dealership after weekly complaints . Finally they installed new sleeves. Rcd veh back and is worse than before. Serv mgr states that is the way they are and he has had no complaints other than mine. He doesnt like it either but that is the design. Has anyone else find the stand shift as I have?
  • glumglum Member Posts: 3
    I'm a service tech that drives a 1998 S-10 with a high output Vortec V-6. I've put on 70,000 hard miles. The truck has been very reliable. With the exception of regular maintenance; the only problem I had was the u-joints. Just this week the check engine light came on. The truck runs fine and gas mileage has suffered a bit. I figure it is a emission problem, as I haven't had a tune-up since last October.

The only gripes I have with the truck were the lousy Tiger Paw tires; living in the northeastern Ohio snowbelt the tires couldn't grip the snow even with 300lbs of sandbags in the bed. I would always spin out from a stop. I replaced the tires at 50,000 miles. The manual shifter can be troublesome when I downshift to 3rd gear. The Vortec V-6 consumes a lot of gas on the freeway; I'm lucky to get 280 miles on a full tank. Overall I'm very happy with the truck.
  • gmh1013gmh1013 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 s-10 with a 4 banger and auto trans
    the truck is great except for the "popping noise"
    I get from the left front end at slow speeds or
    turning to the right.Does anybody else have this
    same problem? is this normal for a s-10?
    think the hissing is caused by vacuum changing the selections (I have a hissing sound when I change mine), if it is changed by vacuum and you dont hear the hissing you probably have a leak somewhere :(
  • ggosselinggosselin Member Posts: 22
    I own a 1997 S-10 SS blk fleetside with a new hood.
    Why the new hood you ask? because the belt tensioner blew up literally and went through the hood while I was doing 80mph on the interstate!
    The alternator, the belt tensioner, and needless to say, the hood were replaced under warranty.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem? Chev dealer tells me that it was a freak thing- but I'm curious as to why they replaced it without question or hassle. I'd have guessed that they were going to make me pay for it or blame it on my driving or some dumb thing like that.
    Other than that, truck has been perfect- new tires and brakes, but nothing major as of 39k miles! Does not get the greatest of mileage, though- about 18.5-19 no matter city or highway.
  • blearmanblearman Member Posts: 1
    martyg2: #103......

I also have a '99 s-10 with the same noises in the transmission. my dealers also say that they are the normal noises. i guess we both are hearing little gremlins that chevy wants nothing to do with. I have 15,000 miles on mine and have had to change the pinion bearing seal 3 times. has anyone had this problem. also, two nights ago i had both of my front shocks blow out on me. i baby the truck and it's never seen mud or been over a big bump. i also get the crapy gas mileage everyone is talking about. I've been in communication with the consumer 1-800# at chevy and they are telling me that i'm having isolated problems. while, my mechanic is telling me they are very wide spread.

So. you guessed it. american truck makers have lost my buisness and i'll down load this lemon as soon as possible..... just interested to see if anyone else is having the same problems...if you are please post them....
This discussion has been closed.