Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    yeah, that's pretty hot.

I thought I'd go for a stripped model, but I'm 90% sure its gonna be an automatic on my next car (god help me). I'm thinking 128 w/ auto, sport, and power seat. That adds over $3k to the base price. :(
    I suppose, if I really wanted, I could go for a 135 and leave off the sport pack, but I would really like paddle shifters. Its pretty lousy that you have to pay over $1k just to get paddle shifters.

by the way, to avoid extras, like you, I would opt for red over black.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    From reading the Mags and talking with one of the local Dealers, the Sport package is the way to go, it seems besides the extra HP that the 135 got over the 335 the sport package also give you better brakes, then the 335 gets in thier sport package.

The 128 with the sport package get the upgraded brakes as well.

tony
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Huh?

"besides the extra HP that the 135 got over the 335"

The 135 and 335 should have the same HP.

"the sport package also give you better brakes, then the 335 gets in thier sport package."

I can't find a reference for a brake upgrade with the 135i or 335i sport package.

"The 128 with the sport package get the upgraded brakes as well."

Couldn't find this either.

Not trying to quiz you, I'm just wondering where you got this info since I've never heard any of this before.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Doesn't the 135i have the Sport Package standard?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

According to BMW web site the sport package for he 1 series is $1K option.
  • jwaggonerjwaggoner Member Posts: 22
    right. that is for better seats and what else?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Shadowline trim and "M" sport steering wheel..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    I've been trying to figure out just what is "Shadowline Trim". :confuse:

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Replaces the chrome around the windows with a black material to give a more 'sporty' look.
    Thanks, I guess I'm old fashioned in that I'd rather have a little chrome, especially on a dark colored car.

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Helps immensely. I had an e90 330i ZSP with the chrome trim...looked exactly like what it is: cheap, painted plastic. I missed my e46 ZHP's shadowline trim every time I looked at that e90.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Spoke to a friend who's got some contacts in BMW this weekend. Said the 135 brakes on the sport package are 6-pot and better than the M3.

-mike
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Better than the M3? Pardon my skepticism.

The 135i has 13.3" front and 12.8" rear (or 11.8" rear, not sure why they list two sizes, SP/non-SP maybe), while the 335i has 13.7" front and 13.2" rear brakes. Given that the 135i's brakes are smaller than the non-M 3-Series, I'm thinking that the M3's brakes are going to be significantly more impressive than anything on the 135i, six-pot calipers or no.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Yeah don't have the details he just mentioned they would be better, he could be wrong.

-mike
    Wouldn't be the first time a Dealer guy didn't know what he was talking about. ;)

" I'm thinking that the M3's brakes are going to be significantly more impressive than anything on the 135i, six-pot calipers or no."

Could be Paison's source was thinking of the latest (Feb 2008) Road&Track 135i article...

"Of note are the brakes: massive 6-piston front calipers sit inside the 18-in wheels; even the rears have 2-piston calipers. This is unusual, as BMW has long used floating calipers; even the new M3 retains what many consider inferior brake components."

The E92 M3 has floating calipers?!?! I find that hard to believe.
    It's a nice looking car. Stout, purposeful, wide...almost menacing. Definitely the best looking car made by BMW right now. If not for the threat of a kid, this would be my choice.
    "If not for the threat of a kid, this would be my choice."

Looking back at my own history, I personally am having a difficult time imagining BlueGuyDotCom driving a minivan with an automatic transmission, seven seats and 225/65 series tires. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Wouldn't be the first time a Dealer guy didn't know what he was talking about.

He's not a dealer, he's at bmw corp.

-mike
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    If not for the threat of a kid, this would be my choice.

but why should that deter you? I have a kid, and this car is at the top of my list right now. He can certainly fit in the back seat, I'm sure. I mean, at least until he is a teenager, I would think. So that gives me 10 years.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I have inspected a Bimmer 1 at the dealer room and she has a nice trunk space. Good looking car, as well.

Regards,
    Jose
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If not for the threat of a kid...

You and she have a kid on the way? :)
    You have to be kidding, the trunk in the Oner is pathetically small. It needs the hatchback we aren't getting to carry anything bigger than a six-pack.

As for looks, those are subjective. Even if I didn't prefer the convertible for open air motoring I'd buy it just cuz it looks better than the stumpy coupe. Like the 2002, few will buy the 1-series coupe for looks.

Have you personally compared the trunk space of the Coupe and Hatched versions to each other? I have. The Coupe was standing side by side with the Hatched sibling (which I had drove several times, by the way). The trunk space was bigger in the Coupe than in the Hatched. No kidding. The Coupe trunk space was not small considering the size of the car. You cannot expect the 1-Series Coupe trunk being as big as that of the 5-Series, can you?

As for looks, I agree with you. Looks are subjective. But I liked the Coupe look in person as much as I had disliked it from magazine pictures.

Regards,
    Jose
    Getting back to brakes for a second - I've never worked on fixed calipers before. Can someone tell me how much more difficult it is to service pads and rotors on a fixed-caliper system vs. floating calipers?

Also, while I'm thinking about maintenance, has anyone heard any info about the aux oil cooler & dipstick status for the 135i? I'm assuming the worst but I haven't heard one way or the other.
    No kid coming. But one is planned for 2009. The 1 series with 4 doors or a hatch would be my first choice. Experience with my niece and my 3 series sedans v. my mini proves to me I'd rather have a baby with a 4 door. No minivans. Though I did like the size and layout of the tiguan. Diesel engine and I'd be quite interested. If i'm gonna suffer at least I'll get 40 mpg!

Regardless, the 1 fits my idea visually of a good looking-smallish coupe. There's style to it while the car still looks usable (no ultra-low seating and it has an upright cabin) and I like the bluntness of the hood and trunk. It's almost pugnacious. In 4 door form it'd have that nice squished appearance I liked in the e30.
    You cannot expect the 1-Series Coupe trunk being as big as that of the 5-Series, can you?

Big is not a word I would ever use for the trunk of a 5-Series. ;)

I have never personally seen a Oner hatch but the coupe's trunk is smaller than on any hatchback I've seen.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Can someone tell me how much more difficult it is to service pads and rotors on a fixed-caliper system vs. floating calipers?

It's usually easier:
    Pad Removal- drive out a couple of pad retainer pins, remove anti-rattle spring, pull pads.
    Pad Installation- retract pistons, insert pads, reinstall anti-rattle spring and retainer pins.
    Rotor Removal- Unbolt caliper from mounting arm.
    My M6(front) and Bavaria had that set-up; pad changes at the track are a 15 minute job per axle...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Can someone tell me how much more difficult it is to service pads and rotors on a fixed-caliper system vs. floating calipers?

It's usually easier:
    Pad Removal- drive out a couple of pad retainer pins, remove anti-rattle spring, pull pads.
    Pad Installation- retract pistons, insert pads, reinstall anti-rattle spring and retainer pins.
    Rotor Removal- Unbolt caliper from mounting arm.
    My M6(front) and Bavaria had that set-up; pad changes at the track are a 15 minute job per axle...

Yup it's easier than floating calipers IMO. We have changed pads on our race car with 4-pot fixed calipers during a pit-stop, took about 4-5 min total.

-mike
    How do you retract the pistons? I use a C clamp and a used pad to push the caliper back in.

Can you do this and push back all the pistons on one side in the same manner?
    We usually use channel locks and a small rag so as not to scratch the caliper finish. Do each piston individually, usually go through them about 4 times to get them all compressed. I'm sure there is a better method though.

-mike
    I guess channel locks are big enough because the fixed calipers and pistons are lower profile? Do they push more fluid because there are more pistons? Do you have to watch for spilling from the reservoir cap?

Thanks for the replies and the education guys. I'm glad the brakes are one thing I don't have to complain about on the new BMW's.
    If you haven't added any fluid from when the pads were initially installed you shouldn't have to worry about overflowing the resivoir.

On the Fixed pistons, the channel locks work cause you are only compressing one side and each side is lower profile than a floating one.

There may be more fluid overall but really the pistons are just smaller than say 1 large one. Heck F1 uses (or used at one time) single piston calipers.

-mike
    I remove the reservoir cap and wrap a shop rag around the opening just in case. I've never had a spill though - just a precaution.

Thanks for the info.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    If you remove the caliper from its mounting bracket you can leave the pads in and use the c-clamp or channel locks directly against the pad...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

...how come every time my "Watched Items" list is empty, this discussion shows up and then when clicked on, it takes me to page 44, post 1074????

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I've had similar random issues with a few of the boards I visit over the past week, more or less. I posted it as a squawk on the "Forums Software, Your Questions Answered" board, but haven't heard anything back yet. This has happened a few times over the past couple of years, comes on unexpectedly & leaves just as mysteriously.

Strange.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It is a bug that is affecting some of us (me included). The engineers are working on it. Annoying, yes. :)
    I think it may be correlated with the "Mark As Read" Legend appearing unexpectedly.

Regards,
    Jose
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The twin piston calipers I've worked on are only slightly more work than single piston calipers. I got a tool that is purpose built to push the pistons back in.

No big deal, really.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Of course a hatch has a smaller "trunk space" if you're just talking about the space between the rear seat and the hatch, but when you fold down the seats you have a large space that is very usable since you have the full hatch opening to slide a large box in or whatever. On a sedan (any sedan), even with the seats down it can be difficult to load something large because the trunk opening is often too small.

I have a 325i sedan and my wife has a Mazda3 5-door. The Mazda is a smaller car overall, but a lot more practical if I have to haul something back from the store (such as a TV or other bulky item). I can fold the seats on my 325i down and manage to load my bicycle in there, but again it's a lot easier to do the same in the hatchback.

If they were bringing the 1-series hatch over here, we might have waited for it instead of buying the Mazda.
    Of course a hatch has a smaller "trunk space" if you're just talking about the space between the rear seat and the hatch, but when you fold down the seats you have a large space...

Right so: I couldn't agree more with you. I was just speaking about "trunk space" whithout folding down the seats.

Regards,
    Jose
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    The 1 series got a great review in this month's ROUNDEL (BMWCCA's Monthly Magazine).

I also really dig the 1 series "tii" concept. If that doesn't make it to production, I hope they offer some of the bits as accessories. The black wheels, the black honeycomb grill, & the rear diffuser would be a nice add on to the Alpine White 128i & 135i that I've been building over and over again on BMWs website.

The longer I wait, the higher probability I'll convince myself to go with the Turbos!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    nyc, I just read that article on the oner. But I am torn between it and the 335d!

What is a man to do? My lease runs out in December. HELP!

Regards,
    OW
    The more I read about the 135i (I also just read the latest Roundel), the more I wonder just how random car pricing is. You know, the 135i and 335i should basically cost the same amount of money, but because the 1-series is smaller and labeled "entry-level", BMW simply hacked $4000 off the price.

Good for us since the 1-series is what the 3-series should have been all along. The 1-series is almost right, but now I'm more certain than ever that I will wait for a lightweight version (Tii?) to come.

BTW, there's a picture of my E30 in the new Roundel. Page 103... :shades:
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Fed, Your story was outstanding! It shows the experience and detail regarding process steps you need to follow to be a first rate mechanic. I feel for you that it took some time to figure out the issue and fix it. It's cool to know the oil pressure particularly since you track your car often.

BTW, how does the OPG work?

It's amazing that the oil fouled that plug in such a short period of time.

Your picture is good but I just do not understand why they cut your head off!

Regards,
    OW
    No, no, I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as Mark Jon - I would have simply towed my car to my mechanic.

He just happened to pose for that picture in front of my car at TechFest last year, that's all...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thanks Kristie, the Oner Cabrio sounds like a tasty morsel indeed. The reviewer mentioned a "wide assortment " of colors available. I don't think so, at least not yet in the USA. The color chart accompanying the article shows white, two shades of black
    and red + two or three of silver and blue. The metallic green shown will not be offered in the US AFAIK.

Interesting article, I was at the Detriot autoshow and was able to sit in a 1 series convertable, I have to say, I was very impressed with the over all feel and comfort of the car, the rear seats well hold 2 adults, tho not as comfortable as the 3 series Convertable.