Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Regarding your comment that BMW knows how to fit tall drivers:

I am 6'2"- mostly legs. I practically got laughed off the Luxury Lounge thread by the active anti-BMW faction there when I posted that I test drove the 2008 328i sedan and the 2008 EX-L Accord sedan and discovered to my surprise that even though the Accord was supposed to offer more driver's seat leg room, I found the 328i MUCH roomier for my legs with quite a bit more seat travel in the 328i.

BMW always knows how to accommodate folks like us.

I have also tried Acura, Infiniti and Lexus vehicles. Only the BMW's fit me like a glove.

This week I have to go try a 128i coupe. My 545i lease is up in July.
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I went to the Denver Auto Show over the weekend and sat in a 135i. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam on my pants, but normally I have to have the seat all the way back in its travel to be comfortable.

The power seats in the car I sat in were working, so I moved the seat all the way back. Found, to my surprise, that I had to bring it forward in order to reach the pedals.

Nice!
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    With a 30 inch inseam you need seats all the way back? I have a 30 inch inseam (I'm 5-7). Sounds like you're sitting too far away from the pedals. With the clutch depressed to the floor your knee should still be bent. If you leg is straight with a clutch or brake depressed to the floor you're too far away from the pedals and you're liable to break your leg in a head-on collision.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_seating.shtml
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I don't currently drive a stick shift ... my daily driver is a Saturn L-series, and the wife has a Saturn VUE.

The last time I drove a stick shift regularly was in a Ford Focus, and I didn't need the seat all the way back for that in order to have my left leg at a comfortable angle when the clutch was fully depressed.

My point was that there is more room in the front seat of the 1-series than I would have thought, given the overall size of the car.
  • amybangamybang Member Posts: 1
    I've test driven a few 128s now. It's rapidly becoming a matter of "when", not "if" for me. I did a "lifestyle" test yesterday and brought along my roll-aboard suitcase and my iPod to see whether it really works for me. With the top down, my suitcase went in and out better than in an overhead bin on the plane, and I could probably fit a 2nd one in there. And the iPod was fully accessible through the radio, all my play lists and everything.

I did the same tests with the A4 convertible and the EOS yesterday. The iPod interface is laughable on both of those, actually maddening. Sure, they'll play your iPod, but you really can't control what it plays, because it doesn't show you track titles or playlists. With 6000+ songs on my iPod, I'd have been royally pissed had I bought either of those and paid for the iPod connector without trying it.

As for storage, the A4 could handle the suitcase with the top down. I could get the suitcase in the EOS with the top up, and it fits with the top down, but I couldn't get it in or out that way.

And those practical matters aside, the 128 just has me grinning like a fool when I drive it. The others haven't done that.
  • michael_megmichael_meg Member Posts: 1
    Am a lifelong BMW owner, took a test drive -- honey, they shrunk the 3 series. What a great, sophisticated, heavy, reasonably priced little car... but somebody forgot to laugh when the set the thing up. It's dull.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    The only people that believe that "2002" nonsense are the PR folks who came up with it.

Its a heavier E30.

What I mean is, the interior volume seems almost an exact match of my wife's E30, while the vehicle has gained weight, mostly due to increased crash protection measures since 1987.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    I am 6'2"- mostly legs. I practically got laughed off the Luxury Lounge thread by the active anti-BMW faction there when I posted that I test drove the 2008 328i sedan and the 2008 EX-L Accord sedan and discovered to my surprise that even though the Accord was supposed to offer more driver's seat leg room, I found the 328i MUCH roomier for my legs with quite a bit more seat travel in the 328i.

Well, you are not alone. I currently drive an Accord EX-L. Although mine is an '06. Even the 1-series offers me a better seating position and more legroom. I have the Accord set almost to its extreme limits. The front of the seat is completey up, the back completely down, and the travel is roughly 1/4" from the furthest setting. When I sat in the 1-series, i had at least 1" further to go back in travel, while still having the front fully up and back fully down. And, on top of that, the steering wheel falls easier to hand in the 1 with the above setting. My arms are more stretched out in my Accord.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    Its a heavier E30.

I agree, a friend of mine owns an E30 convertible and the 128i 'vert is nearly the same size, inside and out.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Hmmm---since we're discussing "fitting" i'm 5'11 and have a 30' inseam, and the headroom on the 1 coupe is just barely marginal. My hair brushes the roof--i sit very vertically. The convertible has more headroom ( yes, with the top up. ;) )
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    While BMWs highly paid marketing folks are comparing the 1 series to the 2002, most of us are in agreement that it isn't. I know a few are comparing the 1er to the E30. My favorite BMWs, the car that started my complete infatuation with the marquee, the E36 coupe stacks up against the 1 series. Comparing a 135i to a 328is gives you this to chew on: The 135i is 1.5" wider, 2.8" shorter, 231 lbs heavier, and has a 1.6" shorter wheelbase than an E36 328is.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• leeshuckleeshuck Member Posts: 73
    I drove a 135i and 128i with auto trans recently. There seems to be a hesitation off idle. I'm used to driving a 6-speed manual, so maybe I could adjust my throttle tip in. I don't recall this hesitation in the 335i with auto though.

I've been trying to find an auto I like - so far the DSG that Audi offers seems to have the best shifting performance.

The exterior styling that may grow on me, but they're definitely not beautiful at first sight.

I'm driving a MINI Cooper S JCW GP now and was surprised at how compliant the ride in the 135i is with the low profile run flats.

The door handle comes out far enough to hit my knee if I don't keep my legs straight (seems more cramped than the MINI).

Maybe I'll revisit them in a few months with the 6 speed manual; I didn't find either to be compelling enough to make we want to buy now.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Well, for what it's worth, I'm 6'1", and 215lbs. I took delivery a couple of weeks ago of a new 135i coupe. The seat has so many adjustments and the steering telescopes as well as tilts. Getting comfy in the 1er's driver's seat is easy enough, and will accommodate most of us very well.

BTW, the 135i is absolutely fantastic! My Porsche is parked for a while! ;)

TagMan
    Did you get the auto or manual trans? If auto, how do you like it?
    Manual. And it is a smooth shifter.

TM
    I'm just wondering who on this thread owns a 1-Series vehicle at this point. Or do any of you have one on order perhaps? Or are some of you just interested in the vehicle?

Let's share this info with each other, and then let's start talking about the car!!
    It's an awesome vehicle! :)

Mine is an '08 Jet Black 135i, 6-speed, fairly loaded.

TM
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, in that case. :shades:

Coupe or convertible?
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 868
    How about some pictures??? :)
    Thanks!

Coupe. I actually had both on order, but in the end I chose the coupe because I already own a convertible and the rear seat room (which is already on the tight side) is quite a bit better in the coupe. Plus it is quieter and just a wee bit faster. But, that said, the 1er makes for a gorgeous convertible, IMO.

TM
    Another forum I visit frequently asked the same thing, and I offered to take some pics later in the Spring when I buy a camera. For now, I am ashamed to admit I only have my mobile. Sadly, I have only taken one picture. I will post it since you ask, but please don't nail me for the poor quality. I'll post more in the future, as I promised.

TM
    I'm just interested at this point. My dealer didn't have a manual trans to drive, and as I reported in an earlier post, I wasn't sure about the auto. My last bimmer was a 2004 M3 Convertible which was a great car.

How much did you pay for yours - purchase or lease?

I'd probably want to lease and will wait for a more favorable lease rate before doing that.

Lee
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Absolutely gorgeous. No apologies necessary. Congrats!
    Purchase. Near msrp, as it was their very first 1-Series ordered and delivered, and the only manual tranny out of their entire first shipment. To offset the near msrp price, which dealership management insisted upon, the sales agent cooperated with me to increase the trade-in value. So, overall, I was very pleased.

I agree with you that a lease might not be favorable at this time.

Your '04 M3 Cabrio sounds very nice!

TM
    I saw a black 135i Coupe like yours at a dealership and decided Black is the color to get for the coupe, gives it a sleek, purposeful look. For some reason the preferred color at 1addicts.com is Alpine White which IMO makes it looks like a toaster.

I'm thinking Montego Blue, Monaco Blue or Crimson Red for a 'Vert.

I have noticed the AW preference over there, but I doubt that it will ultimately reflect the real-life situation.

I agree with your 'vert color choices. A 'vert usually needs to be a little sportier. I had ordered the "vert (that I didn't take) in Crimson Red, but at this point I also tend to think the Montego Blue would be awesome! Which interior and trim are you thinking to go with that?

TM
    Thanks Brian!! :)
    TM
    Which interior and trim are you thinking to go with that?

Funny you should ask, I think I'd get Tan or Black with the Red but I might get the black/red combo. The bmwusa's configurator doesn't show any tan available but I know I've seen photos of it.

With either Blue I'm thinking of the black/red interior but I liked the Lemon/black combo I saw which (surprised me cuz it doesn't show in the online configurator.)

BMW's color names are very misleading, what they call Lemon is really a very light beige, more the color of a lemon ice (Slushee for you NEers) than an actual lemon.
    What they call Tahitian Green is Blue/green or Teal and Cashmere Silver isn't silver, it's Champagne (very light tan metallic). :confuse:

What color is yours inside?

Mine is Black w/ black Boston Leather. It's really not as dark and evil as it sounds. It's more of a dark charcoal with the aluminum trim and the headliner is sort of a cozy shade of silver/gray which further brightens up the interior. The nice thing about it I like is that the dash components are all the same/similar colors.

That's one nice thing about the Savannah Beige interior. It's a beautiful beige that is applied to the seat insert and door insert. That leaves the dash and center stack as one solid color black, which is what I prefer. It's not necessarily on the configurator, but is available from the dealer when ordering... at least it was when I placed my order. In hind sight, I might have ordered that Sanannah Beige interior, but at the time I ordered the car, it wasn't explained to me that it was just the seats and door inserts... there wasn't enough information available yet to know for sure. But, regardless, I'm very pleased with the outcome and have no regrets.

TM
    Savannah Beige is another confusing name IMO. Isn't that more like a tan? A tan/black combo would be really cool w red.

Yet another misnomer is what they call "Taupe" Leather is what most people would call light grey. Where I came from Taupe is a mix of grey and brown. ;)

The website colors can be very confusing... both exterior and interior. And, of course, they can't display on a monitor accurately. But some of the colors are way off to begin with. When I saw Sedona Red in person at the car show, I was shocked at how different (and horrible, IMO) it looked in person. And, for some reason, the configurator isn't complete. Also, as you pointed out, the names of the colors don't always really associate well with the actual colors.

I agree the tan/black combo would be terrific with red. It might also work well with the Montego Blue.

TM
    Tagman

Gorgeous car. Best of luck with it! You've got a 911 also right? That's some house you've got there too. Funny you don't have a digital camera :confuse: The picture quality is great though.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

While I haven't seen a pic of a 1er in Montego Blue (I haven't seen any 1 on the road yet), I can tell you that my wife's Montego Blue '07 X3 3.0si draws lots of compliments due to its color.

My 32nd birthday is tomorrow. And besides the fact that my Dad scheduled a 7:00 AM delivery for a truckload of toilets its going to be great. After work it is off to the Yankee game with my wife. The 135i coupe is at the top of my wish list :P

Yes, I do have an '07 Carrera S Cab. I haven't visited the 911 forum for a little while now, but I recall enjoying some of your very good posts there.

As far as the camera goes... yes, it's weird that I don't have a camera. So, here's the real scoop. I had bought one about a year and a half ago, primarily for my wife. She took her first trip to New York City with a friend and the camera was stolen. (True!) I have yet to buy her a new one, and she shares one now with my daughter, but I'm honestly not about to use a camera already shared by two women... I know better than to do that. I'll eventually get myself one later in the Spring and if she wants one, I'll get her another one as well. In the meantime, I've been using my iPhone... which has no zoom or brightness adjustment at all.

Ahh, yes... from one baseball fan to another... enjoy that game!! If you drink too many beers while you are there, maybe some of those toilets will be installed by the time you get back. :)

Anyway, have a happy birthday Brad! Sounds like you will, and hopefully your wish list will come true... at least for the top item. ;)

TM
  • bruski2bruski2 Member Posts: 11
    Hey,
    Been looking at the 1 for sometime now, expecially after seeing it in Europe.
    Last week, finally saw it. and yeah havent had my heart skip a beat from a car in a while.
    Anyway, just purchsed
    Black Saphire
    Boston Taupe Leather
    Auto with Steptronic
    Convert.
    Premium Pkge.
    Cold package.

cant wait for delivery!
    oh yeah cost..
    See ya on the road, Ill be the one grinning ear to ear. My bank account wont be smling tho, but gotta do what gotta do.
    Later :)
    Gorgeous car! You will enjoy it so much... if the wait doesn't kill you. ;)

Post pics after you get it.

TM
    Thanks Tag,
    Yeah, cant wait, its in stock, saw the vehicle! Just gotta get rid of my wifes c-320 first.
    Naturally the dealer here offered me dirt for my MB so gotta try to sell it privately.
    Yeah, once i saw the 128i convert in person, had to have it! Will post some pics once I take delivery.
    Did test drive yesterday. Everyone is saying the 128 has no "balls" but compared to my current 325xi, I thought the 128 had much better pick-up, even with automatic.
    Im a grown up so it really doesnt matter to me if the car does 5 or 6 seconds from 0-60, you can still get a speeding ticket in either. Also, at $4 per gallon for gas, dont mind the extra gas mileage.
    Later, good luck
    Thanks for the well wishes. I did have a very happy birthday today (as long as I'm around for it, it is a good birthday). While I didn't get the 135i & the 7:00 AM toilet truck didn't come until 11:00AM, The Yankees won 3-2, I got a Joba Chamberlin #62 Authentic Jersey from my wife and son, my wife and 18 month old son suprised me and came to work to have lunch with me for a little while (the best present of all), and I got to drive my wife's '07 x3 3.0si. 32 is going to be a great year for me!

Shoot now I cant decide on the convert or the coupe?
    Wife says coupe is more practial while havent owned a convert since my 1972 MG midget and think would love to have the ragtop.
    Have all but signed off on deal for the 128i convert. in black! Given the choice would u opt for the coupe or convert?
    btw, live in N.East (ny), will only be using car for fun stuff. Also cant deny that the coupe for some reason looks hotter than the convert.
    By the way we also have a 325xi. (for the more practial side)
    thanks for the input.
    bski.
    If you must have the additional rear passenger room offered by the coupe than your question is answered. If not, then it sounds like you already have a hardtop and you should get that convertible!

Personally, I know that I MUST have one. Of course, the weather here where I live is spectacular much of the year. If I did not already have the Porsche Cabrio, I would not hesitate for a millisecond to get the 1-Series as a convertible. It's freakin' gorgeous!!

But, whatever you get, you will surely love it. This car gets in your skin! And the good news is that you can't make a mistake no matter which one you get!

TM
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Perhaps other people know this about convertibles, but I didn't before I bought one. In COLD weather, you can put the top down, crank the heater, and still be warm. (And by cold, I mean almost down to freezing if you can pull off the British touring look (or the skate punk look) and wear a hat.) In HOT weather, if you put the top down, the air conditioner won't make any difference. Even 75 on a sunny summer day can be uncomfortable, esp. if you're in a suit.)

With my 318iC, I had more fun with the top down the year I lived in Maine than the year I lived in Florida.

The other thing I didn't know about convertibles until I was an owner was that when people break into them, they cut the roof rather than break windows. And even in 1992, a BMW roof cost $2,500 to replace.

The 1 series convertible is a gorgeous car.
    How true!! I've been driving a convertible for decades now (yikes!), and there are many times I'd rather turn on the heater to warm things up, then to turn on the AC, which is close to pointless, to cool things off.

Some convertibles are better with the wind and air then others. The Porsche is one of the best you can imagine... it can be freezing out, and when the heater is on, it's nice and toasty inside the cabin without too much air blowing in, due to the terrific airrflow. I've read that the 1er isn't too bad, but can get a bit windy, and that the windscreen will help out a lot. If there are rear passengers in the 1er 'vert, there is a special heater vent for rear passengers to help them out. I think that is a VERY cool feature.

The 1er really makes for one great-looking convertible. There's just something special about it! :shades:

TM
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I had a good laugh at your post, then I saw where you live... Driving a convertable in the summer time wtih the A/C... Try that in Phoenix AZ when its 118 outside... NO A/C is going to cool you off... Now driving when its cold, turn the seat heater on and set the heater on, and its a nice and toasty fun..
    ...when its 118 outside... NO A/C is going to cool you off... Now driving when its cold, turn the seat heater on and set the heater on, and its a nice and toasty fun.

Bingo!

It's definately easier to warm up than to cool off.

TM
    Convertible all the way. Bring shades. :shades:

Caveat - make sure the top folds OK when it's extremely cold. See what BMW says about that.

I've found in my Miata (vinyl top) that it folds easily up to about 40 degrees F, any colder and it can potentially damage the top.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I don't think that's a problem with a BMW soft top.. I put ours down the day we got it.. at the balmy temperature of 24 degrees..

Cloth, not vinyl, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, cloth is better about that.

Still, 24 degrees!? :surprise:

That's pushing it even for die-hard like me.

The Miata has a great heater, it will bake your feet actually, but I wish I had heated seats.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Yeah, but you can fit a tonneau cover, which I don't believe is a possibility for any of the Bimmers. With only the driver's side of the tonneau open, it can be quite comfortable down to very low temps in a roadster. In a convertible, not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Congratulations on your excellent decision! You are going to love that car as much or more than any car you've ever owned... that's my prediction.

Goodness, is it really that bad out there?

TM
    Go for it.

What good is a cool car if noone can see you? ;)