Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    You are correct. It takes special courage to bring The Truth to the heathens.

There is no disputing the fact that the 135i Coupe is a fantastic drive. All I'm saying is the 335i Coupe is nearly as good and is better looking. The 335i Coupe has been unanimously praised by the auto writers as one of the world's greatest vehicles. Let's not forget that, given the initial euphoria surrounding the 135i Coupe. Some folks here seem ready to throw the 335i Coupe on the scrap heap. They seem to have short memories. For them, go back and read the unanimously ecstatic 335i Coupe reviews and then go read the 135i Coupe reviews and see how many reviewers opine that the 335i Coupe is the better-looking vehicle.

The problem with a model specific thread is people expect only "feel good" posts.
    Our function here is to make the discussion "fair and balanced."
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    "fair and balanced."

Careful there HP that is trademarked material!! :)

I have to agree that the convertible looks best. The coupe is butt ugly!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

The coupe is just as you describe.

I would only drive the 135i Coupe "after dark" when my friends are asleep, if you catch my drift. ;)

It is to TM's credit that he is trading in the coupe for the convertible. Smart move!

Hey, some folks like the coupe's style. Even Maureen O'Hara found a soft spot for Charles Laughton's Hunchback Of Note Dame.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Oh, i see, posting on an internet thread means that you have "special courage."

I think the 3 coupe is _slightly_ better looking than the 135 coupe, but, c'mon, as an adult you know that looks are subjective. There are prettier cars than either out there too, to many people.

If the looks outweigh the performance/price advantage is a matter of opinion. Obviously, people who are interested in the 1 come down on the side of price/performance, or don't agree with you about the looks. We all know what the 3 coupe looks like, so repeating you don't like the 135 every few posts isn't really very productive.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    And the 6 Series 'verte trumps both as a looker! But the others hit the wall as the 135 catches the apron.

Regards,
    OW
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    No venom. Reply wasn't directed at you. I'm working off a mobile in Hawaii so I'm doing my best.

I think the whole injection of 3-Series and McDonalds is out of whack for a 1-Series forum.

Sorry if it looked like I was targeting you. Totally not the case. It's cool. ;)

TM
    You might consider when the Bangled look was called butt-ugly, and then became acceptable, and eventually even copied. BMW does it again and again.

Yet, folks are willing to pay full boat and wait for months to get this little gem.

I agree the convertible is the looker, but the Coupe is cool in my eye.

TM
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Sorry I misunderstood you on that point.
    Yes the 6 Series 'verte is right up there with my Bangle masterpiece, the sharp and elegant 545i. We will never see such a masterpiece again, I fear.

After driving an art form like the 545i for 3 years, one can surely empathize with my disappointment in the 1 Coupe.

PS: You say potato, I say patahto;
    No need to become so GD agitahto! :)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "the 335i Coupe is nearly as good..."

The G35 is nearly as good as the 335i. The Acura TL-S is nearly as good as the G35. The Cadillac CTS is nearly as good as the TL-S...

Hey, I know. Let's start a new thread called, "cars that are nearly as good but prettier than the 1-series." :P
    Hpowders, your 5er wasn't so loved when it first came out! No one was waiting months to pay full price.

So, stay real for goodness sake.

TM
    I understand your disappointment. Really. The 335i SP 'verte is for you!

Until the CS becomes a reality!

Regards,
    OW

P.S. Such an eye for beauty can not be put asunder!
    Is it not true that people are paying full price for the 1 because BMW is using the same strategy it used (and is still using) for the MINI --- by restricting supply?
    Sounds good! ;)
    Well, before I began posting here recently, creating this nice spurt of lively posts, this thread was how shall I say.... becoming extinct.
    Sorry for this digression good people, but I must answer TM's post.

You are right. The new 5'er when it came out in 2004,was almost universally loathed-people did not know what to make of its bold, new, aggressive and sexy styling. Surely, a radical change from "same old" conservative BMW. Since the introduction, people have gradually come to their senses and come to terms with the new design and consequently sales/leases of the new Bangle 5 have been healthy. The 5 must have had an external refresh lately, because the 2008's seem a bit more stylish than the 2004 version, if indeed that is actually possible.

As for people waiting months to pay MSRP for the 1 Series and not for the Bangle 5 Series: It is you who must "stay real"!
    BMW wasn't deliberately limiting supply of the 5 series back in 2004 as it is currently with the 1. If they wanted to, BMW could limit supply on the 3 and the 5 and command close to M$RP.

Don't you think lines would be forming to pay M$RP for the 335i Coupe if BMW deliberately made it scarce here?
    Yes, I think this thread has recently gotten active due to you, in part. Go back to the beginning and see the injection from yours truly... LOL.

As far as limiting supply goes, I can't say with any factual certainty that the same thing would happen with the other models. Maybe so.

We do know for a fact, however, that the 1-Series, which is what this thread is about, is a great performing fun car that is widely accepted and praised by the vast majority of enthusiasts and critics.

TM
    ...and it's prettier than the 5'er!

Regards,
    OW
    "...and its prettier than the 5'er!"

Aside from my wife's not being permitted to use incomparable sugar from Cuban cane fields in her rum cake, nothing wounds me more! :cry:
    Yes. When the thread opened, you and some others had a healthy dialog on the 1.

Soon the posts began to dwindle to a lull, as the initial euphoria died down when the realization set in that the 1 could have been so much better; that it didn't live up to the hype that it would be a re-incarnation of the BMW 2002; that it was actually closer to the revered 3 Series (which isn't a bad thing) and that waiting lists were being artificially perpetrated by BMW through limiting supply of the 1 Series to the US.

To lift this dying thread out of its funk, your writer, by placing the 1 Series in its proper context minus the exaggerated hype, has instigated active discussion again.

Remember folks, that any BMW is superior in driving performance to its competition. No manufacturer has created a 3 or a 5 killer. They won't be able to create a 1 killer either. When I criticize the 1, it is because I believe it could have been so much better. Even so, I admit the 135i Coupe is an exhilarating drive.
    Just kidding. The 5'er is real nice. Handles extremely well for it's category. It's the choice for coast to coast travel in high comfort and style!

Regards,
    OW
    Now you're talkin'! Look for the tii. It will get better.

Regards,
    OW
    "The 5'er is real nice."

It must have had a styling refresh recently. I could see some folks not liking the original Bangle 5, but the recent versions are really quite a bit nicer looking; stunning in gray.
    BMW should maintain decent supply on the 1.

BMWCCA should be allowed to coordinate for BMW 1 buyers/leasers, a $500 rebate from BMWNA.

When one considers the ability to bargain down from M$RP for the 335i Coupe plus getting the $500 rebate, the differential between 135i and 335i isn't that much. I figure $3000-$3500.
    I was at one of my favorite places to view upscale vehicles yesterday-the Tampa airport indoor short-term parking garage. I drove through many aisles-lot's of BMW's-3's, a couple of M3's and 5's, an Infiniti M 45; various Lexus' and MB's. No BMW 1's yet. Haven't seen any on the road yet either. Scarce.

On the way to the airport, a 2008 Honda Accord EX V6 kept tailing me. I was going 85-86 mph. I finally "helped" create an opening for him and let him think he got by me on his own. He's probably posting over on the Accord forum about how he absolutely "smoked" a 545i on the highway. :)
    LOL... You sly dog. I understand

Yes, there are a few proud drivers out there that also think they have edged out the mighty Carrera S... at least until the next one they meet, which might very well be less generous and shatter their misplaced euphoria! ;)

However, the lowly entry-level 135i might send a few inflated egos on their way with their tail between their legs... Hopefully with a passenger in their car to make their humiliation even worse.

TM
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    About 5k have been sold so far. They aren't like the ubiquitous 3 series (which is given away with your 5th latte at Starbucks). Or even the more mass-produced Mini (40k units a year).

How many of the new bodied TTs do you see in a day? I've seen 2 of the latest TTs. I've seen about 10 1s on the road. But again, BMWs are so common in So Cal one would think they come with insanely propped up leases. Oh wait, they do.
    LOL. True, to a point.

But, no artificial lease on the 1er!... Yet.

TM
    If I ever see you coming down the interstate in your 911, I would politely move over out of respect.

By the way, since you are fortunate enough to possess both, which vehicle provides more visceral thrills: the 135i or the 911? ( A good question I guess if you are applying to be a diplomat).

LOL!! I had no passenger with me when I let the Accord go by me, so I didn't have any "'splainin' " to do. I've had enough close encounters this year with the authorities, to have wizened up and not get into a 90 mph speed war on the interstate. Anybody driving the highway with any car knowledge at all should be aware of what the 545i is capable of. Yet every day I'm out there, I get challenged. Reminds me of those old western movies where the young gunslingers just have to come from far and wide to challenge the famous, experienced sharpshooter. The cemetery becomes full of them.
    I sat in a 2008 M5 and the quality is first rate. I never drove one but how could it not be extremely competent and satisfying. The M3 impressed me the same.

I look forward to the tii....

Regards,
    OW
    Certain vehicles for me are the "ultimate"-the M3 coupe, the 911 turbo cab. and to absolutely spoil myself rotten-a fully loaded MB S600. Give me those three and you will never see me again. ;)
    Wow...nice taste but we would miss you! I've yet to experience those ultimate choices of yours!

Regards,
    OW
    I would gladly settle for any one of those. From my standpoint, it would be the M3 Coupe. I've always been partial to BMW vehicles.
    Any 1-Series owners here... other than bruski and myself?

TM
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    Virtual Owner here!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I drove a 135tii in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue yesterday. That's got to count for something...
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    LOL.
    Seems slow in the game, though, don't it? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yeah, it does. Though even in real life, every car feels slower when you get it on the track.
    I drove a 135tii in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue yesterday. That's got to count for something...

HA! HA! I went with my son the other day to get that game and they were out of stock. Is the game really good?

TM
    Sorry, I don't really know. I played it for 10 minutes at Fry's.

I will say the graphics were very impressive and I think it would be a great way to learn a track you've never actually driven.

To be honest though, I haven't found a simulator that I really like because no matter how realistic the graphics and physics, the lack of actual g-forces makes it artificially too difficult to drive properly (same for flight simulators (especially helicopter simulators). The simulator is much more difficult than the real thing because your body uses 3 sensory (visual, vestibular, and proprioceptive) systems when it's in motion yet the simulator only provides one input (visual).

Basically, you can't "feel" any weight transfer and you have no idea what the tires are doing - so you have no sense of acceleration (linear or lateral) and no way to detect (or control) the onset of under or oversteer. Whenever I try to do a smooth fast lap in a sim, I just get frustrated and go back to playing Halo or KOTOR.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    while fedlawman is right, of course, I still like the game. Been a fan of GT since the original and can't help buying every one of them.

This one isn't as in-depth as the past issues, but the graphics are so much better than previous versions that its worth the price of admission.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

some of you thought talking about the 3 series was off-topic and irrelevant! ;)
    The original plea provoking the latest spurt of posts was from one of the two folks posting here who owns a 1 Series vehicle, looking for ANYBODY, besides himself and this other bloke who hasn't shown up here in over 2 months, who owns a 1 Series car to come forward and post. Since nobody came forward, the conversation resorted to race driver wannabe computer games. Better to talk about ANYTHING to help deflect the truth; which is, hardly anybody out there in Edmundsville owns a 1 Series vehicle! Reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meridith as the one guy left on earth after the bomb hit.

Imagine, what would happen on the 3 Series boards if someone said, "Hey, anyone out there own a 3 series vehicle, so we can compare our cars?" The poster would be swamped with relevant replies.

The 1 Series has little interest. You can't fool the folks. They are sticking with the 3.
    The Truth About Cars, Mike Solowiow, April 21, 2008:

"After testing BMW 135i and 335i Coupes back-to-back, I can reveal that there are only two good reasons to purchase the smaller, cheaper car. Either you need a track day machine or you're an idiot."

"The poorly-packaged BMW 135i proved too difficult (read: unrewarding) to drive in daily situations. If the 335i didn't exist, you could make a pretty good case for the 135i. But it does, so you can't."

"The 135i...really is an ugly car. The 335i looks like Catherine Zeta-Jones by comparison."

"The 335i Coupe is Bimmer's best molding of power and grace to date."

Thanks for the support, Mike! Pretty much what I have been saying.

If you want a tenacious, honest vehicle review, I strongly recommend "The Truth About Cars." A perfect antidote to the idiotic reviewing sites that never met a car they didn't love.
    I believe each of us is allowed 3 truthful posts per month.

The other folks here must have exceeded their truthful allotment, so they get to talk about how wonderful the 1 Series is.

I only have 1 truthful post remaining in June. Luckily, it is almost the end of the month. ;)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    TTAC makes a fetish of bucking prevailing opinion and often rates cars the opposite of everyone else. They gave the Touareg TDI 5 stars and the Cayenne 4. Maybe they just don't like small cars. ">

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

The reviewer in question, Mike Solowiow, is no more or less qualified to compare cars than we are. He seems knowledgeable enough and is obviously an enthusiast, so I respect his opinion - even if I don't agree with it.

EDIT - of course, he didn't really test these cars in his review. They both had automatic transmissions...
    I find their reviews to be candidly refreshing, whether I like it or not.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,849
    Any 1-Series owners here... other than bruski and myself?

I started to reply earlier and the post went off into cyberland somewhere. If it happens to appear, please forgive me for repeating myself.

I have configured a 135i about 5 times and ended up not choosing a single option.

The sports package seems like an obvious choice, but the standard seats appear to be well bolstered. The shadowline trim is nice, but for 1,100 clams I can do without that.

I guess I should sit in one and/or drive one the next time I am at the dealers instead of just looking at them. I think they are a little homely looking, but that's not something I base my car buying on - color either as long as it isn't blue.

The wife likes heated seats so maybe I'll choose that. Whatever it takes to make her happy.

Just curious - did you choose many options or just go "bare bones"? The 135i seems to have all the goodies already included.

I've waited so long now I guess I might as well wait for the '09s to come out. :)

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

I think the way to buy the 1 series is to go bare bones, in order to get some serious price separation with the 3, and also to make the 1 a logical step-up from a Cooper S. If you load up the options on a 1, people are going to say, "You pay WHAT for that little thing?"