Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• presidiodmpresidiodm Member Posts: 1
    Hope this info may help those who may have this problem or are thinking about buying an S-10 with the 4.3L Vortec.

I have a 1999 S-10 Ext.cab 4x4 and it's been nothing but a nightmare. The biggest problem is this engine noise it's had since day one. Kind of sounds like a loose rocker arm on the older small blocks. First GM said it was normal, due to the new design of the engine; NOT. They then replaced the lifters, which only fixed the problem for two weeks. After several phone calls and some research, I found this is not an isolated problem, in fact GM is aware of it, but they do not have a fix at this time. My vehicle was in the shop for a week this last time and I was told all they could do was soak the top end in engine cleaner, that is was a carbon build-up problem. So if any of you believe that, you'll need to bring your trucks in every 10000 miles for it's quarterly cleaning. Oh yea, engine still has the problem. I'm trying another dealer this week. Just thought this info might be helpfull to some.
  • flahardyflahardy Member Posts: 1
    HELP!! This thing is running very rich. I'm getting a code #45 (oxygen senser) reading, changed the senser. No change in running. Getting no other codes. Reading are 880 and above, should be 200 to 400. Engine will surge when cold, idle rough when warm. Runs good at speed, but still rich. Has anyone had this problem? and What is the fix?
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    My neighbor replaced the O2 sensor on his friends S10 blazer only to find out that there are 2 of em, think he said one before and after the cat and the wiring to one was burned by the exhaust pipes.
    hope this helps.
  • jayfrogdogjayfrogdog Member Posts: 15
    The borla is great. It offers 2.5 inlet and a 2.5 outlet, with a 3 inch tip. It sounds better after a couple of months once it's broken in. I have a standard cab with the shortbed, and borla only offered an extendcab kit, so I had a shop cut the pipe to fit. (The extend cab kit works great for eliminating the catalatic converter on std cab trucks.) The kit is easy to install if you have an extendcab.
    I have the stock 4 speed auto. and the stock 3.42 gear ratio. (I thought about getting the kit that allows the F-body rearend to bolt up to handle the extra power that I will be adding.)
  • woody2269woody2269 Member Posts: 52
    Well, this is what I was told....I have been having similar problems with my truck, and in Jan I took it in because the SES light kept coming on, especially after I took the truck out of 4wd back to 2. The first time I took it in, they told me that nothing was wrong. Second time, they did a diag. and got code #1406, so they cleaned the carbon intake. STILL kept happening, and what you were saying about the enging surging when cold was happening to me too. (I was also having problems with it slipping in reverse.) They told me that it was the tranny, and replaced that ($1800 + labor....ouch!!). They also told me that regarding my SES light, there was a cracked valve, and that that should take care of that. Well, since they have done all of that, they have also replaced the rear U-joint, the fuel sensor (the truck was telling me that it was full even though I had driven 200+ miles on the same gallon....?!) and I can't even think about what else, besides normal maintenance. Have you thought about the
    fuel injectors?
    Also, does anyone have any idea how to find out if a vehicle was involved in any natural disasters? (aka The floods that happened in northwestern Minnesota/eastern North and South Dakota?
    Sounds good, I also have a reg cab short box same engine and trans and LS. I'm gonna try to get a '01 S10 so I wont get too crazy with this one but its great. GM has traditionally given last year models a HP boost and might have to with the new 205 HP ranger for '01. Even if they don't I'll have a truck thats 2 years newer and the extra cab will be nice.
  • davis23davis23 Member Posts: 7
    Iv'e been having problems with my 98 S10, Maybe one of you have been having the same difficulties.the first problem was my clutch was making a squeaking sound. Soon after that my front drivers side spring was riding two inches lower than it was supposed to. And just resaintly I just replaced my U-joint. I've got standard transmission and when I hit high RPM's , theres a quit noticeable sound that comes from where the shifter is.I don't know about any of you guys, but I have just about had with chevy products and there service.If any of you get a chance which I'm sure you do, look in service department and see how many S-series trucks you see in there, theres quit a few. I rest my case.
    Made a delivery yesterday at the Chevy dealer in Morris IL, one S10 in the 20 bays.
    I take it your a S10 lover. Thats ok, everybody has the right to there own opnion.But from my experience the S-series are frequently visiting the service department. I have three other friends who own S-series trucks and they all have come to know the name to all the service departments representatives. We have a come to the conclusion that we will never buy the S-series junk again. Braeger Chevrolet, Milwaukee Wisconsin. "The dealer where I purchased my 98 S10"
    Sorry about the Chevy bashing, Its just that Im losing money on this truck. Its kinda said, my father works for GM. Other than my truck, Chevy has been pretty good to us.
    Everyones entitled to their opinion. Yes I like the S10, it has style, its comfortable, the A/C is COLD, and with the V6 it MOVES when I want it to.
    I take care of my vehicles and they last. GM has been good to my family. Maybe you have the "lemon" every manufacturer lets loose....I dont know. Why dont you trade that thing in? If you try to do that and they say something needs to be fixed its still under warranty isnt it?
    saidly my warranty has run out. I went to go trade it in and they wouldnt give me what I owe on it. So Im stuck with it for another year. Hopefuly not that long.
    P.S. I did own a 96 S-10 pickup with a 4.3 V6. I did enjoy that one. That truck had power.
    Warranty expired on a 98?
  • tnovatnova Member Posts: 1
    I too had a problem with tiger paws on the s10 slipping, but I found out if I added some weight to the bed the problem disappeared. I have 15500 miles on the truck and have had no problems what so ever. I have the v6 and get about 22 miles to the gallon as I expected. Seems to be a peppy good running truck. By the way the fuel gage can be recalibrated by your dealer. They know there is a problem with it and my dealer fixed it in no time.
    Pool player Joe? Good choice of truck! I like my '99. Heres a link with lots of info, even though its for the Xtreme. Mines a 2wd Z85 reg cab V6.

http://www.s10xtreme.com/
  • 9balljoe9balljoe Member Posts: 1
    Thanks SuperJim for the link your right alot of good info there. Yea Am a pool player and ride motorcycles, ride a K1200 BMW RS right now that puppy has 130 ponies and uses it well. As for the Borlo Exhaust I was also wondering if you have to loose your sp[are tire to make it fit, like some of the other exhaust systems. Also any other info would be very appreciated.
    =======>-----------------o) Joe
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    i have a 1993 chevy s-10 2wd tahoe package pickup with a five speed and a 2.8 v6. i am installing a tach as an aftermarket add-on. does anyone know
    what the redline is for this particular engine?
    also, what are the torque and horsepower numbers for this truck? i cannot find the numbers anywhere. by the way, i love my chevy and i am getting 27 mpg on the highway with it!!!
    just wondering...i have heard all sorts of good things about the 4.3 engine, and i am wondering what the concensus is with the 2.8. my mechanic says it is a good engine but his is the only opinion i have gotten. any ideas?
    My old 83 S10 had the 2.8, it was good. Had 300,000 on it before I sold it. Only thing I didnt like was that mine wasnt fuel injected.

Make sure you use pellets from GM in your cooling system to keep your intake manifold gaskets from going bad.
  • derekshawnderekshawn Member Posts: 10
    I just received a letter from GM concerning the 2.2L engines in the 98 and 99 S-10 trucks. I used to own a 98 S-10 but traded it a few months ago because I was experiencing numerous problems, among them was this one:

the letter reads:
    "This letter is intended to make you aware that some 1998 and 1999 model year S10 trucks, equipped with a 2.2L 4-cylinder engine, may experience illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" light, engine misfire, rough idle and hesitation. These conditions may be due to spark plug wire failure. The cause of this condition may be improperly seated and loose spark plug wire terminals. If this condition occurs on your vehicle with 7 years or 70,000 miles the condition will be repaired for you at no charge."

Well, that just about sums it up, hope it was of help to some of you. I only hope you catch this problem before I did, I ended up broken down on the way to work and it took three attempts by Chevy to fix the problem (one of the many reasons I no longer own a chevy)
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    Just curious what sort of MPG people get with the old 2.8L V6. Also, towing numbers would be great too.

I've got an old 1985 2.8L V6 Ranger, I get about 15-16 MPG around town and 19MPG highway (5sp 4x4). It has proven reliable, but I'm thinking of trading it in for a mid-90s Ranger or S10. But I'd definitely like better MPG in my next truck.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    I have the Borla exaust on my 98 S-10 SS 2wd. This kit cost me 450.00 expensive yes worht it yes. This kit is guarantted for life, from rust, and going bad. It sounds great too, give it a couple of months to break in and it sounds even better. The power increase is there but it won't make you go nuts about speed. Gas mileage really didn't change for me, and the kit is designed as a 2.5 inlet pipe from the cat, single 2.5 outlet pipe with 3 inch tip. exits out of the passenger side behind the rear tire. 3 inch tip is chrome polished.The spare stays with the truck.

Install a pair of edelbrock headers also 450.00 and the performance is definatly noticable. Sounds a lot better and it's also quicker. Edelbrock claims up to a full second faster 0-60.(But I think that is for a fullsize truck.)

Either way they are both an excellent upgrade. But if you get the headers make sure you have and aftermarket exaust.
    i owned a 1988 ranger xlt and now i have a 1993 s-10. the ranger had the 2.9 v6 and the s-10 has the 2.8. the 2.9 got about 15 mpg and 19 on the highway, and the 2.8 gets 18 in town and 26 on the highway. i dont know how it makes an 8 mpg difference but it does. i dont have the towing numbers but i do know that my ranger made 140hp as opposed to 125 for my s-10 and the ranger had lots more low-end torque but the s-10 has a much better top end when it comes to going from 65 to 90 or so. both trucks are 2wd and the mileage numbers are from normal driving...i dont baby them or anything...i drive them reasonably hard.
    also, i am still wanting any comments about the 2.8 chevy engine and if anyone out there has torque or hp numbers or redline, send em my way, please.
    I'm guessing but a redline of 6k? I towed a uhaul from las vegas (very hot) to Illinois in October 1996 and again another guess, but my stuff at 1500 pounds and the old 2.8 was fine even with @220,000 miles on it. I was getting 20 mpg (83, carb)
  • runninrebrunninreb Member Posts: 4
    Like with any car/truck, there are lemons and then there are very good cars, sometimes manufactured side-by-side in the same week. It's crapshoot. With GM, though, you have a better chance of rolling craps than with some other makers.

I bought my '95 S-10 new in 1994. It's a 4.3L auto that currently has 53k miles. It rides great, has a ton of power, and has spent very little time in the service dept. Only problem was a fuel pump replacement (under warranty) at 25k miles.

Only time it was ever towed was when I left the dome light on overnight and ran out the battery. I turned off the light and played dumb like I didn't know what was wrong. GM Roadside Assistance towed it in to the dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty.

It's paid for, it looks good, and I plan to keep it for at least another 5 years. Knowing how badly many GM cars/trucks are built, I consider myself lucky.
    Anyone having problems taking off in the snow. If you have an automatic you can put in 2nd and take off in that gear. Rpm's will raise until takeoff.
    This is a second gear start. Of course the truck will act better in the snow with weight in the back, but this is just an additive that a lot of people don't know about.
    Did you get the transgo shift kit yet? I decided to use the firm shift from the HPP and it works a heck of alot better than stock. Plus you can make the trans shift at higher rpm but I havent done that yet.

I think I'll get the new K&N intake (think its called gen III, anyway its a snorkel) or something similiar, I've heard the stock airbox is very restrictive, and I'll be able to put it back to stock because the chances are very good that I'll order a '01 S10 with the options I have now.

Keep us informed on your truck and the mods you made.
    The HPP firmer shifts make a difference, I wish I did it sooner. I have a friend who races, he has a 900 HP car before nitrous!! And he said porting and polishing the heads will give you 50 HP on the 4.3.

I think he's right, this engine likes to run.

I lit em up for longer than 15 feet! The traffic wasnt moving, and I was first at the light. It turned green ...........heavy right foot, 3.42 posi... I was sideways for half a block, never did that before!
    The only reason I took my foot off the gas was the oncoming traffic.
    Does the 2.8L V6 in the old S10s have OHC? The Ranger 2.8L, 2.9L, and current 3.0L are all OHV designs. This might explain the better top-end performance and better highway MPG.

I've got an old 2.8L Ranger and I get about 15mpg around town and 19mpg highway as well. I might trade in for a new 4cyl Ranger (there's a new OHC 2.3L 4cyl coming this fall) or save a few bucks and pick up a mid-90s S10 or Ranger. Sounds like the Chevy 2.8L isn't a bad engine; 26MPG on the highway isn't bad at all.
    According to Carpoint, the 1989 2.8L V6 has 125hp and 160ft-lb torque. It is rated 17/22 MPG (4x4 automatic). See http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Engines/Chevrolet/S10%20Pickup/1989.asp.

Hope that helps.
    Is ohv. The 2.8 is good, I had one that went 300,000 before I sold it. Drive a 4.3, its a better engine with more power but you wont get the mileage of the 2.8.
  • amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    I had a '87 S10 ext. cab 4x4 auto with this engine. I went over 100,000 mi before I went to
    '91 S10 Blazer 4.3 The '87 was very reliable, best trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I only performed minor tune-ups, plugs, disc pads...
    It was a great off roader, BUT THE 2.8L IS VERY VERY GUTLESS ON LONG STEEP GRADES like the infamous GRAPEVINE hill in So. California. The
    proper engine replacement would be a GM 3.4 V6
    from Chev Lumnina. It is a shoe in. The '91 S10
    Blazer was a horrific LEMON, full of defects and
    problems. I got rid of it after 80,000 mi. Have
    a '00 S10 Xtreme with vortec engine. Bought it
    in Jan and currently have 12,000 trouble free miles. Hope Chevy has finally got their act together.
    I know what your talking about when it comes to the throttle. I don't know about the standard s-10's but with the SS suspension, in the back of the truck there is a shock on each side that runs parallel with the truck instead of up and down.
    I was told that this was to help keep the trucks straight during hard acceleration, but I still fishtail. Keep on truckin bud. Chevy for life..
  • tomnkattomnkat Member Posts: 1
    i am interested in buying a 91 s-10 blazer with 94k mi,and would like to know of any stories good or bad about it.it has the 4.3 V-6.
  • dwillfcdwillfc Member Posts: 2
    what problems have people had with their fuel gauges;mine turns on the low fuel light with 5-6 gallons left.My dealer seems to think that is normal but I don't think that's acceptable.What fixes have other dealers used-thanks.
    For the 4.3 V6 in the S-10 (blazer or p/u) they have MANY MANY MANY problems with the fuel system....especially the ones with the VIN letter W vs. Z. I have gone through 3 fuel pumps/sensors (unfortunately, in the W's they are 1 part), and 1 fuel pressure regulator....just thought that I'd let you all know!!
    Dont forget to tell everyone you bought your truck used, that makes a difference!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mark194mark194 Member Posts: 15
    Bought a used 97-S10 Short bed 2.2 5 speed in Feb 2000. I just love it, my gas mileage is about 26 and on a trip with my daughter I got over 30. The tires are crap (Uniroyals), but I can live with them and the dealer will probably never see this truck again since I have a good mechanic on the side. I have had no problems with the vehicle since purchase and I interested to see if I should expect any (bought with 26000 on it and now have 31000 on it). Thanks in advance for any input anyone would have.
  • afeyafey Member Posts: 20
    If I were to start out on my s10 from new again here would be my advice. Currently I have 105k on a 95, same motor.

1. Every 35k change transmissions fluid. The standard is pretty easy to do yourself

2. Every 35k change fuel filer. This is a [non-permissible content removed].
    The secret is to spray wd40 all over it to remove the old one from the bracket.

3. Constantly grease the front suspension. Clutch too.

4. Do not forget the air filter that sucks up everything up front.

The key to a good long lasting s10 is maintenance and upkeep.

Good luck!!!
    I've always changed the fuel filter once a year. Cheap insurance.
    Even taking that into effect, GM has admitted that the pump is bad....
  • afeyafey Member Posts: 20
    Thats funny, never had any problems with my fuel pump. If it ain't broke at 105k, I am sure it is just fine. I am scared about the waterpump. A mechanic told me it would be $500 when I needed to replace it. The only work I have done was a new tensioner pully.
  • parudedogparudedog Member Posts: 1
    has anyone had problems with the abs sensor going on after hitting 80 mph for a minute or more. i have had it to the dealer 2 times and they replaced the speed sensor and told me that i would have no more problems. can somebody help me fix this anoying problem.
    $500 for the water pump? I have the V6 not the 4 you have but it seems like a fairly easy job, its a truck not a FWD car where you cant get to half of the stuff.
    What engine/trans? And what do you mean by going on? The dash light stays on?
  • riggleriggle Member Posts: 3
    I have had 8 s-10's starting in 1983 and my current is a 2000. The 83, 84, and 86 were all good performers. I put 120k in the 86 blazer all hiway miles when the head gasket blew and dumped the fresh antifreeze in the engine. blazer was only 4 yrs old. Would not recomend the 2.8. If you are buying used and it has the 2.8 the first thing i'd do is rip it out and put the 4.3 in. So why not just look for one with the 4.3 already in it. I had 2 91's w/ 4.3 Z motorss a 4x4 ext cab and a Olds Bravada. Both were outstanding and problem free got 17/21 in the pu and 19/24 with the AWD Bravada. Had a 97 bravada, got crappy gas mileage and didnt like the dash layout, turned it in and got a 93 with the W motor. My 00 s-10 ZR-2 w/10K on it only gets 15mpg 230mi to tank, not pleased with mileage on this one either. Will turn it in when lease is up. Dash is 1000% better than 97.
  • riggleriggle Member Posts: 3
    $500 to replace the water pump no way. $100 for a new pump w/lifetime wty and 2 hours you can do it your self. I did it. There are only 8 bolts to get it off! W and Z motors alike.

Fuel problems with 93 W motor are in the injectors. The injector w/6 arms/nozzles (all 1 unit) was $400 at Napa took me 1hr to remove and replace my self. Solved the extended crank at start up, and get much better performance. Never touched the fuel pump.
  • jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    hey guys... i have a 97 sonoma with the 2.2 4banger with the automatic, and believe me... i wish i had gotten the v6, especially here in the south were ac is a must. I was wondering if you guys can help me figure out a way to improve the power of this engine without spending a whole lot of money. So far, my sonoma has been pretty good, no major probs as of yet, though it only has 25,000 miles on. Currently, my gas mileage is about 20, which i wish was higher (any help here as well???) I don't floor it or drive it harshly, since you really can't with the crappy tiger paw tires. Anyway, any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.