Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    We knew those ridiculously cheap leases couldn't last.

As a result, fewer "pretenders" will be driving BMW's, restoring some well-needed status to the brand.

If BMW thinks the majority of leasees will all of a sudden be converted into buyers, I believe they are quite mistaken. They can offer 0.0% loans, but most folks won't bite because they will be justifiably concerned about expensive out of warranty repairs 4 years down the road.

The only thing that makes sense to me is to buy for cash or 0.9% for 3-4 years and then trade the car in at the end of the four year warranty for a new one.

BMW must really be hurting-for the first time the entire 2008 1 Series line is being offered for sale at 0.9%
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . .fewer "pretenders" will be driving BMW's, restoring some well-needed status to the brand."

I hope you're right.

However, BMWNA appears to think that status is in the wallet of the beholder. The folks who read Roundel are so, so far away from the vast majority of the people who acquire one new. Many of the articles have to do with cars that can't be bought, either any more, or at all -- small-displacement diesels, the 2002, the 1600, you name it.

BMWNA brings what they want to the U.S. and the market will speak over the next few years. It should be interesting.

FWIW, I'd be driving a BMW today if I could get a 2 or 2.5 litre diesel wagon with a manual. Or, I could flap my arms and fly to the moon (credit Charles Shultz).

Then there's that run-flat tire thing & the dipstick thing. The dipstick wouldn't be so bad if the high-tech substitute actually worked when it was introduced, but it didn't.

My put is that BMW is in deep s (let's say stuff).

This is going to be interesting to watch.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "The trick to buying a new BMW is to order one with as few electronic gimmicks as possible-no premium package, no steptronic transmission, no i-Drive, ordering the reliable inline six, etc;"

No doubt true, but try finding a base BMW available, especially when one ventures beyond the 3-series. Even for a 1 or 3 series, one would have trouble finding one without the premium package.
    Yes. The run-flat situation turns me off too... as does the user unfriendly turn signals, the new 2-step starting system and the audio controls.

BMWNA is really hurting.... no doubt about it.... I have never seen an entire BMW line for sale at 0.9%.

With so many 2008's piling up, the outlook for the 2009's looks bleak at best. BMW will have to seriously cut production to the USA.
    I know CR is no car enthusiast's bible, but they recently tested a bare-bones 135i Coupe and assigned it the highest score ever for a sporty vehicle. In the article, some testers complained about the lack of wood and lumbar support, but it was explained that the car was purposely ordered "sparse" to keep the price down.

I have done an extensive search of Florida BMW dealer's new inventory and unfortunately most of the bare-bones 2008 1 and 3 Series vehicles that are left come with AT at a minimum.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    BMW is offering cheap financing is it safe to assume the 1 is being sold for under MSRP?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I wonder if one can get a bare-bone 1 or 3 by even by special order. They might say "yes" but make you wait 6 months?
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    I doubt that there would be any problem in ordering whatever you want, and the car should be delivered in 6-8 weeks on the East Coast. This is a standard procedure, and there should be a number of dealers willing to order it for you. For example, I have ordered my 3 with BMW assist and metallic paint, which is a pretty plain car, on 3/15/2008, and it was delivered to the dealership on 3/22/2008, which proves that this is possible to do. I have picked it up on 5/3/2008, as I was out of town.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    The sport seats are a must if you like perfect seating comfort.

Regards,
    OW
    It's too late to special order the 2008 models. You have to take what's left on the dealers' lots. However, the dealer you work with could find a vehicle close to what you want from another dealer and have it shipped to his lot.
    Yes. One should at minimum order the 1 or 3 Series with the sport package and forget all other options.
    be ashamed to offer $500-$1000 over invoice for any 1 Series vehicle at this time. The fact that the entire 1 Series line is being offered at 0.9% financing shows these vehicles are not flying off dealers' lots.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "some testers complained about the lack of wood."

BMW isn't the only manufacturer of sports cars with this problem. I've encountered this with every new car I've test driven lately :blush:
    I've never been bothered by BMW's sparse, uninspiring interiors found in my two former 325i's and 545i. Drivers' cars are what they are. Might as well order one with sport package and nothing else extra.
  • mrratmrrat Member Posts: 2
    "As a result, fewer "pretenders" will be driving BMW's, restoring some well-needed status to the brand. ... This has nothing to do with brand status. Its an economic decision. The car market in general will be depressed and resale values have (and will continue to) plummet across the board. They are ensuring that the depreciation risk stays with the consumer rather than their financial services group. This risk is great enough for BMW to absorb a serious decline in sales rather than take the pain later of being underwater on residuals.
    So if you find "status" by absorbing huge depreciation cost, then you are indeed part of the select group that are willing to own a new BMW.
    There are plenty of folks driving around in their cheap-leased BMWs who could not afford to buy them. Driving a typically-leased 2008 328i, pretty well-loaded with premium package and AT for only $450-$500 a month? Too many "pretenders" out there.

Now, for the first time in many years the BMW buyers will outnumber the leasees, giving much needed status back to the brand. Those who can afford one, will be driving one. The "pretenders" can go back to leasing a Honda Accord. Their bubble has finally burst.

Natural selection has finally come to BMW and I for one am glad of it.
    But how about the folks who squeak into ownership by buying bare-bones, leatherette-clad BMWs ---- are those considered pretenders too?
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    No, they are considered the smart ones!

Regards,
    OW
    Exactly! All you need is the sport package. Buying the other stuff is irrelevant.

The smart folks know this! The others buy their BMWs "loaded." :shades:
  • tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hi all,

Hoping someone reads this forum ;-)

My lease on a 328xi is ending rather shortly and I have the opportunity to lease an '08 135i *at invoice* (inc. premium, cold weather, auto tranny, metallic paint, and dest charge). The MSRP is 41,600.

I will not be putting down any money up front beyond first month, acq. fee, and license/reg. The dealer quoted me a 56% residual and .003 money factor for 36 months/10k per year.

Does this sound right? I've been trying to find some current info, but the 1-series forums seem rather dead.

Thanks.

--Tennberg
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    According to bimmerfest, the residual at 36 months for 15k per year is 56%. For 10k, they should be adding 3% to that (59%). Dealer can't change residual, so its possible he just misquoted, failing to take the 10k/year into account.

The base rate on the 135 for 36 months is .00285.

Just so you are aware, for a 3yr/30k lease on a 335i sedan, they are currently offering a 63% residual and .00175 base rate money factor. The coupe is 61% and .00200. In other words, the 135 is still not a good deal when leasing.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    "...ordering the reliable inline six "

hpowders, you've mentioned the "reliable inline six" several times. You do know that all 1series and 3 series (except the M3) are inline sixes, right? Just that the x35 are twin turbo versus the non-turbo. Just curious what is meant by "the reliable inline six". Are you meaning the non-turbo inline 6? ...and both are 3.0 liters so lets let's not start talking engine size either! :D
    Hmm....can you even say "reliable" and BMW in the same sentence?! :P
  • mr42hhmr42hh Member Posts: 9
    "You do know that all 1series and 3 series (except the M3) are inline sixes, right?"

Except for the 116i, 118i, 120i, 118d, 120d, 123d, 316i, 318i, 320i, 320is, 318i, 320i and Alpina D3, you mean?
    If you look at world-wide sales proportions, 6-cylinder 3-series are maybe 20%. For the 1-series, maybe 5%.
    Yup....the non-turbo is what I meant by the reliable inline 6; the one without the high pressure fuel pump and fuel injector problems.

I recently bought a 328i over a 335i-much better mpg with a more reliable engine. So my drive to the bank takes 13 seconds longer. I can live with that.

If I were looking at a 1 Series, I would choose a 128i coupe over a 135i for the same reasons.
    "Hmm....can you even say "reliable" and BMW in the same sentence?! "

:) Yep! Sure can! At least our personal experience. We did our first repairs to my wife's 2000 323i this year with 132,000 miles on it. Bearings went out in the electric radiator fan. Also replaced the idler pulley at the same time since it was starting to go and we were already in there. Only other issue is a weeping power steering hose that will need to get fixed sometime in the next year.

I know BMW build quality has gone down a bit in the last 5 years or so (possibly outsourcing to non-german factories?), which is a shame. Hope quaulity comes back up.
    "You do know that all 1series and 3 series (except the M3) are inline sixes, right?"

"Except for the 116i, 118i, 120i, 118d, 120d, 123d, 316i, 318i, 320i, 320is, 318i, 320i and Alpina D3, you mean? If you look at world-wide sales proportions, 6-cylinder 3-series are maybe 20%. For the 1-series, maybe 5%. "

Ha! :P One smarty in every crowd! Our discussion was around 1 and 3 series that are current model and available in the US. Didn't think I needed to specifically exclude non-US models, etc. but if it makes everyone feel better, I'll do better next time and add a list of disclaimers even if it's outside the scope of the conversation. Ha. ;)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    I assumed that poster was being facetious but for the record my 2000 BMW 528iA
    at 109k miles and counting is one of the more reliable vehicles I have ever owned and that includes a couple of Hondas.

I plan to keep it a while longer, these cars are built to last.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I assumed that poster was being facetious but for the record my 2000 BMW 528iA
    at 109k miles and counting is one of the more reliable vehicles I have ever owned and that includes a couple of Hondas.

Ditto for all the BMWs that I've owned. My 1995 Club Sport has only needed a thermostat, two belts and idler pullies(replaced as a precaution), and one set of pads and rotors in over 113,000 miles(not to mention numerous HPDEs and autocrosses). My wife's 2004 X3 has nearly 75,000 miles on the clock and it has only needed pads and rotors and a passenger seat SRS sensor(replaced under warranty).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• podpod Member Posts: 176
    I live in RI but travel in Massachusetts a lot and have yet to see a one series. To my dismay. I am dying to see what they look like in person. I've come up on some from a distance and think they are a one but it turns out to be a three. Of course I have only seen three Pontiac G8GTs and they have been out for a while. I guess it is not the time to see a lot of new models since sales are so low across the board.
    Oners are pretty scarce in the Phoenix area too, I see perhaps one or two a month in busy suburban Phoenix. I didn't see any on a recent Road Trip to PalmDesert/Palm Spring CA.

I think I've seen maybe two One-Series Convertibles since they came out.

1 Series are pretty rare here in Vancouver, B.C. too. Honestly I have seen more 2009 5-series than 1 series. Of the 1s that I've seen, I think coupes and convertibles sightings are about equal. Perhaps the lack of a 4 door will limit 1 Series sales potentials.
  • podpod Member Posts: 176
    At last, in RI I saw a parked orange/brownish 128i. It looked very well proportioned from front and back. I had expected it to look a bit out of porportion or high but definitely not so. The company pictures make it look funky weird but in person I found it very attractive. I would definitely go with the 128i as stripped as possible. I do not need the power of the 135i and wish to come in somewhere about $30K. I am single and do not need a functional back seat ( I rarely transport friends). Will the trunk hold a set of clubs and a push cart?
    Will the trunk hold a set of clubs and a push cart?

Doubtful, in fact I don't think you could do that w a 3er. IIRC the rear seat folds down which might help.

• 1lotlizard1lotlizard Member Posts: 14
    I put two sets of clubs in a 128 convertible -- "stand-bags", not the real big tour-sized bags. It would have taken a duffle bag in addition to that. The disadvantage is that the reason you have a decent trunk is the absence of a spare and the presence of the the run flat tires. There are thousands of posts on other boards expressing dissatisfaction with RFTs. Those tires are the sole reason I have not taken a more serious look at the BMW 1-series.
    There is a non run-flat option available for the 1-series. It is available from Tire Rack for about $700. ;)
  • 1lotlizard1lotlizard Member Posts: 14
    Do you have further info on the non run flat option? I am familiar with tire rack. Doesn't any non run flat option necessitate a spare and that compromises the trunk? Thanks.
    Yup, you can put a compact spare in the trunk, or do what Porsche and Lotus (among others) do - throw in small compressor and a can of fix-a-flat.

I certainly wouldn't call RFT's a deal breaker. Buy some proper tires and sell your unwanted RFT's on ebay
  • dborla01dborla01 Member Posts: 2
    Sat in one today. nice seating room. awefully bland interior. better looking than picture. not as nice lookin as 3-series coupe. but better price.
    comments welcome
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    Will the trunk hold a set of clubs and a push cart?

Yes. No problem. Trunk space is quite decent and actually about the same as the 3 coupe.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    a month, whether we need it or not.

Pretty dead board for what's supposed to be the "entry-level" bimmer.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    You're right - throwing out the same old superlatives does get boring after a while. Maybe we need some new ones?

Here, I'll get us started:

Dazzling and scintillating.

Discuss...
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Make sure you get this option. You get full iPod/USB integration. It comes with a special cable to plug in your iPod and of course you get full integration. Americans get the cable included but Canadians don't get the cable. They could probably purchase it in the US for cheaper than what they charge.
    I doubt I see more than one i-Series coupe per month out on the roads. They're almost as rare as the late lamented 3i8ti.

Since they have come out I have seen perhaps two of the convertibles.

Anyone other than owners or dealership employees seeing these much?

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    The 135i got a great write up in ROUNDEL this month. The DINAN 135i looks like a yummy ride too :shades:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Yes, a really well written article. Made me want to go buy one.
  • gardencar1gardencar1 Member Posts: 8
    Agree about the seating room. There's enough of it. This includes the back seats, even in my 135i convertible.

Have to disagree about the 3 series, though. One reason I chose the 1 series is because it looks better in the flesh/sheet metal, although it's not as photogenic as the 3. Also, have to disagree about the bland interior. I have coral red leather in mine, with black trim. Nothing bland, here!

However, I have to agree about the better price. What a bargain for a beautiful car that can give you a 60mph rush in about 5 seconds, or so!

Yeeha!
    :) :surprise: Okay. I just read the last two pages of this forum and agree it needs to be livened up. I live in the SF Bay Area and have only seen only two other 1 series, both convertibles. I have yet to see any coupes outside the showrooms.

After two years of researching and agonizing over too many marques and models I recently bought a Sparkling Graphite, Coral Red/Black interior, 135i convertible. It came from the dealer with every stinking option.

The car is absolutely gorgeous and dazzling, the handling and speed are exhilirating and breathtaking and the sound of the engine is sweet music. Almost 6,000 miles later, this is undoubtedly the perfect car for me ( except for the cup holders). I find myself grinning like the Cheschire Cat every so often, with my foot on the accelerator or while waiting for a light to turn. It's quite remarkable.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Your car sounds like the one I want. They don't make Sparkling Graphites anymore though. I wanted one with Red leather too.
    Unfortunately, BMW has dropped the sparkling graphite. It's strange because I see E46's in that color, often, especially convertibles with the ZHP pack.

I've seen two black convertible 128's with the coral red and black boston leather. It looks much better in actuality than in photos. You should definitely go with this color interior. It really gives the car an extra wow factor with the top down!

I still have not seen another 135i convertible. I did see a 130i in Half Moon Bay. Must have been an overseas delivery.

You could look around for left over 08's. I see them on Auto Trader, still. They are discounting them at least $6000 off MSRP, here in the Bay Area. However, there are no financing deals from BMW on 08's, as far as I know. If you shop around on your own, I'm pretty sure the financing department at the dealership will try to beat whatever financing you may have lined up. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!