Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• drumm9drumm9 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Folks,

Like so many of you, I am considering purchasing the BMW 1-Series, provided that the prices are somewhere between the 28 - 34 K when released next year.

Being that this will be the first time purchasing a B'mer, I have two questions..

First, in reality, how reliable are current BMW's? I know that reliability of any car depends on the well maintenance the owner does. But in general, how reliable are these cars?

Second, how well do BMW retain value as the years go by..?

Thank u
    Drumm
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    Maintenance goes, all you pay for is gas, tires, & insurance for the first 4 years/50,000 miles of ownership. All BMWs include scheduled maintenance.

Since BMW started paying for maintenance, the intervals have gotten longer, and they leave out a few key things like alignments & transmission fluid flushes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Had a preview of the 1-series.

They estimated the weight to be around 3200 pounds or so.

Starting prices (again, just a guess on their part) was $27K for the 128i and $33K for the 135i.

They suggested that if you couldn't afford the new V8 sourced M3 ($60K!), this might be a pretty good alternative.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Seems heavy to me, but nowadays almost all cars are, with Lotus being the exception.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Seems heavy to me too. Doesn't Corvette weigh around 3200 pounds? That's a much bigger car with a much bigger engine. Meanwhile, the RX-8 2+2 weighs less than 3000 pounds. Why can't car companies get this weight creep under control? Try harder, BMW!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    Why can't car companies get this weight creep under control?

Two reasons:

1. Safety equipment.

2. Convenience features.

My L300 has a standard curb weight of just under 3200 pounds. Its replacement, the Aura, weighs something like 3600 pounds.
    Which is why I pointed out competing models with similar missions that either weigh the same while being larger and more powerful or weigh less. They all have the same safety equipment, and it's not the convenience features in the 1-series that are boosting the weight several hundred pounds over its competitors.

The 128 is supposed to be a small car, I thought. The 328 is already overly large and porky, and now its replacement is going down the same road.

Stick the diesel in it and bring that to the States, and I suppose I could live with it. ;-)
    Weight always causes handling and steering feel to suffer. It's deadly to the driving experience. :-(

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Doesn't Corvette weigh around 3200 pounds? That's a much bigger car with a much bigger engine. Meanwhile, the RX-8 2+2 weighs less than 3000 pounds. Why can't car companies get this weight creep under control? Try harder, BMW!"

The Corvette is smaller than you might think. Actually, the Vette, RX-8, and 1-series are all within a couple inches of each other (exterior dimensions).

To put things into perspective though, consider the 1997 M3 Coupe - 3175 lbs and 240 HP (and it's about the same size as the 1-series). The E36 M3 was a $40,000 car 10 years ago and this spring, you'll be able to get a brand new 128i for under $30,000.

And how about the 2004 330i Coupe? 3285 lbs and only a smidge larger than the 1-series. It comes with 225 HP and you can buy a 3 year-old example for about the same price as a brand new 128i.

Personally, although I wish it weighed less (I wish everything weighed less), I think the 1-series is basically right on the mark - especially the 128i. I think it will possess the spirit of the E36 - which is to say, not too raw (E30), not too bloated (E46).
    " I think it will possess the spirit of the E36"

Well, OK then, fair enough. But then I wish the press would quit calling it the second coming of the 2002. That was a delightful car, the 128 is merely the second coming of the 1997 328. And at least back then the 3-series had a 4-cylinder option.

And the Corvette has a 6L (iron block?) V-8! The 128i should weigh 100 (or more) pounds less just on that distinction alone!

The 240hp rating was sand-bagged. That engine made 240 net hp on the dyno. It was way under-rated.

I agree about the 'vette not being as big as people think, though.

Did you know a Corvette is now shorter than a Porsche 911?
    Nippononly - The press is all about hype, and who is BMW to stop them? Lots of people want to hear about a "new 2002" or "spiritual successor to the E30 M3." Unfortunately, the laws of physics (and safety regulations) will prevent BMW (and every other car manufacturer) from ever building a 2XXX lb sport sedan again.

The Corvette is a narrow focus sports car that Chevy invests all of it's engineering know-how into. It has a lightweight (less than 400 lbs) aluminum block V-8 and extensive use of composites to keep weight down. It is simply one of the finest sports cars on the road.

The BMW 1-series, by it's very nature as a "2-door sedan" is going to weigh more than a Corvette. BMW's very mission dictates that, compared to a purpose built sports car, the 1-series must be more fuel efficient, comfortable, quiet, luxurious, and spacious. It's got to have better visibility, LATCH child restraints in the back seat, and a BACK SEAT. By many people's (myself included) definition of a "sports car," the 1-series, sadly, will be merely a "sporty car."

My feeling is, if someone truly wants to go back to simpler times and experience the joys of owning and driving a lightweight, old-school BMW, they should find a pre-owned one. I put my money where my mouth is a few years ago and bought a 1988 E30.

Ateixeira - BMW has a long tradition of under rating their HP output. The N54's 300 HP rating is well documented to be a gross underestimation.

No, I didn't know the C6 is shorter than a 911. The C6 is actually the first Corvette that has piqued my interest - it's a very impressive car in every way, and with military and GM employee incentives, less than $40,000.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Fed, I really have no interest in driving something with old school tech. That's the hanging point. The e30 is a sweet car but I like xenons, 6 speeds and today's engines. I can do without sound insulation, interior features and even carpeting but I really, really want the advantages of the lighter components and updated engine/suspension/braking materials.
    While there are quite a few late model used BMWs that I would love to get my hands on when I'm finally ready to part ways with my beloved '01 Prelude Type SH (I'm hoping another 5 years) like an '05 or '06 E46 M3 Coupe or even an '05 E46 330i ZHP sedan (or '06 ZHP Coupe) for the same money (as the used M3) I'll probably be able to get my hands on a new 128i.

I know financially it is more cost effective (read: cheaper) to get a well cared for used car and let someone else take the depreciation hit. But I feel like more often than not a used car is someone else's problem. I'd get it inspected by a BMW tech, but I am in no way, shape, or form mechanically inclined (I can check fluids, but gas in the car, top off oil if needed, and change a flat) nor do I have spare time to work on cars (I work 6 days a week). If I was, I'd probably sell my Prelude right now and pick up a '98 or '99 E36 328is.

I'm 31 and have only owned new cars my entire driving life since I was 16.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

"The e30 is a sweet car but I like xenons, 6 speeds and today's engines."

I admit the E30 isn't for most people here - a Mitsubishi Evo is more refined and luxurious.

Actually, for most people, the E36 was/is probably the best compromise BMW ever produced.

If the 1-series turns out to be dynamically as responsive as the E36 - and better built (it would be hard not to be) - it will live up to my expectations.
    I agree. I don't expect the 1 series to be the next 2002 or E30. I would take modern day technology with E36 driving dynamics!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    My guess is you'll get E46 driving dynamics.. (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

True, e46 with 300 hp isn't a bad thing.
    The 300 Horsepower, Twin Turbo, 135i, I think a low optioned (Sport Package, Heated Seats, 6 Speed Stick) 128i would suit my driving and budgetary needs just fine.

I've driven a 328xiA loaner car that they gave my Dad when his X5 was in for service and found the power more than adequate. Perception is everything, even the 128i will have 30 more horsepower and 44 more lb/ft of torque than my '01 Prelude Type SH (200 hp @ 7000 RPM - 156 lb/ft torque @ 5250 RPM).

My wife's '07 X3 3.0siA feels like a rocket compared to her former 2000 Mazda Protege ES.

• dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    The 135i is sounding better and better--m suspension, 18's, high perf tires, m body kit. If it's really going to come in at 33K US MSRP--well getting one by euro delivery will be a heckuva deal.
  • investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Is it true that the 135i weighs 3450 lbs? That only 100 lbs or so lighter than the 335i! I would be very disappointed if the 135i doesn't weigh less than 3200 lbs, and below the 3000lbs magic mark is even better.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Prepare to be disappointed... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    so when can u start placing orders?
  • j84ustinj84ustin Member Posts: 3
    The rear end on this car is almost identical to the mid 1990's Hyundai Elantra. What an embarrassment!
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Member Posts: 157
    I may be extending the lease on my 325i so I can hang onto it until the 1 Series comes out. How far in advance would we know pricing and a release date? All I've found so far is Spring 2008.
    If the car goes on sale in the spring then pricing will probably be online by March at the latest.
  • jwaggonerjwaggoner Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone sat in a 1 series yet. Im 6'1 and wondering if I can fit in this car. Any help would be appreciated.
    you will fit easily. it's essentially the same front space as the 3 series. it's the backseat that's tighter.
    $28,000 (give or take) and a really good reason to get a new car (My '01 Prelude Type SH is still driving strong at 86,000 miles).

While my wife's X3 is in for service, she got a 328xiT (wagon) as a loaner car. While the wagon is much heavier than any BMW I would get for personal use (AWD, Wagon, Automatic), it still handled reasonably well, has well weighted steering, and decent power (when you jump on the gas, the X3 really moves).

I've said this before, the 135i with its twin turbos is going to be the sought after darling of the 1 series lineup. I'll take a 128i with Sports Package and Stick Shift. It will be more than I'll ever need and suit my daily driving needs perfectly.

I promised myself at least another 5 years with the Prelude though.

This will all be moot when I win the M Coupe at the Ocktoberfest Raffle:)

thanks blue guy.

have you sat in a 1 series yet?
    No but I've been around a gazjillion of them in europe and all indications are that the front seat area/cockpit is right on par with the 3 series.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I sat in a 1-Series in Hong Kong earlier this month and yes, it seems to have virtually identical front seat room. The rear seat is a different story.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    awesome, who needs rear seat passengers anyways. Now if they can just price the 128I at 28k and the 135I at 33k. What are the chances of that?
    Go euro delivery on the 1 series and get a great experience and a super low price.
    86k on a Prelude means it's just now broken in.

You may need to shop for the 2nd generation 1 series. ;)
    Like I said, I'm going to wait AT LEAST another 5 years, so the 2nd generation 1 series might be my next car...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the current 1-Series IS a second generation car. Yes, no?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    I think it is technically still in its first generation. There were minor updates to the light clusters but it has not been really changed since its introduction in 2004, other than various body style introductions.
    Hmmm, I'm fairly certain that I have photographs of a number of 1-Series cars at the old ED center in Munich from when I picked up my 530i back in April of 2002. I'll dig through the Shipo archives and see what I can come up with. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo

Edit: I just poked through some of the pictures and found the shots I was thinking of, however, I didn't manage to get any shots of the rear hatch lid so I cannot tell what series these cars are. Thoughts?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1439/1453165390_0241217f97_o.jpg
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1378/1452304621_18cf2b526f_o.jpg
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    3-series "Compact."
    Those lights just look weird. The little orphaned lights in the middle, sitting there all alone. :D

You should share those pics in the Mystery Car Pix thread, here is a link to make it easy for ya...

imidazol97, "Mystery car pix...." #12834, 28 Sep 2007 8:21 am
    Yeppers 3 series compact. sort of the ti but in e46 trim.
    Very nice!

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/bmw-1-series-leaked-pics

And this jacked from Wikipedia...

"On 30 June 2007, BMW of North America officially announced the 1-Series Coupe as a 2008 model (code named E82) and that will be be the first 1 Series to go on sale in the USA. Two models are initially to be offered: the 128i and the 135i. The 128i will be powered by a 3.0 liter, 230 horsepower inline six cylinder engine. The 135i Coupe will be propelled by a 300 horsepower, twin turbocharged 3.0 liter inline six cylinder engine.[6] Both engines are shared with 3-series models 328i and 335i. Many auto enthusiasts have decried both the lack of a diesel option in the US, as well as the decision to offer only the coupe version.

Like the three and five-door BMW 1 Series models, the E82 also features various BMW EfficientDynamics components to reduce fuel consumption (see below). The Coupé is 133 mm longer than the hatch, creating 20 litres of extra boot space. It is 220 mm shorter than 3-series Coupé (E92). 120d, 123d and 135i Coupés' announced unladen weights (EU) are 1450, 1495, and 1560 kg, respectively (corresponding to approx. 3285 lb curb weight for 135i - 90 lb reduction from 335i Coupé).

The 1er Coupé can be seen as a successor to the legendary BMW New Class with its long bonnet, slim cabin and short rear. Apart from slight modifications, it uses the same nose design as the rest of the 1 Series so as to ensure some optical consistency within the range.

It was just announced in July 2007 that BMW will be bringing the 128i and 135i Coupés to the United States in early 2008. It will be priced about $8,000 less than the 3 Series Coupé."
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    I don't buy that last quote as fact. Wikipedia, of course, is constructed by users. If such "fact" was known, I'm sure the bimmer boards would have caught on long ago. As it is, pricing is still in the speculation phase.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

$8000 less?

Wiki got PUNK'D! :D
    $8000 seems a bit optimistic to me too. I'm thinking $5000 or $6000 cheaper at the most.

The 335i coupe starts at $41,000 - that would put the 135i at about $35,000.
  • punkr77punkr77 Member Posts: 183
    One of the recent car mags put the price of a "well equipped" 135i at $40k. Unfortunatly, about $10k too rich for my blood.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    They are guessing with meaningless numbers, but what does a fully loaded Mini Cooper S convertible cost?
    As long as you can get the 135 for $30K or less with few options, it's less important what it costs if you choose to put every available on option on it.
    I could see it getting around $40K with Sport/Premium/Nav plus automatic, metallic paint and some expensive dealer installed options like different rims than the one that come from the factory.

It's pretty easy to pass $40K on a 328 coupe with minimal options.