Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    http://www.edmunds.com/future/2004/bmw/x3/100158414/preview.html

Hey anybody with a keyboard can say anything these days and make it seem either important or like the truth. Not that edmunds does, but the internet makes everybodies voice seems like it has some importance. As in the print style of journalism, it had to be one had to earn their credibility first, the same goes for the on-online sytle of journalism.
  • jjmanjjman Member Posts: 77
    looks like the reviewer came to that test drive with a bad attitude. He complimented the ride then said the ride was bad. I can't say I like the reviews from independent websites. They can clamp on some small shortcomings and make them look big
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    That is one biased review. He seems to be almost mad that BMW makes "tall sport wagon", X5 and now X3. I don't care whatever X3 is called, SUV or SAV. People who buy these vehicles like them because of much better handling compared to traditional SUVs, better ground clearance compared to wagon, styling (which is subjective), and sitting tall (better visibility). This (X3/X5, Infiniti FX35/45, Porsche Cayenne, Cadillac SRX) is a new genre for cars. For some people, it is just wrong and for others, it's just right.
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    I have a hard time believing BMW can make a car that drives badly. Probably the X3 won't be able to handle rough terrain, but it's not really designed to handle rough terrain. The suspension is tuned for paved roads.

I'm more concerned about the interior. It looks like cheap plastic from the photos. I just hope they use better materials in the actual production models and don't go cheap on the interior like they did on the new 5-series.
  • jamesw7jamesw7 Member Posts: 23
    I do feel the article is a little bias. My wife has a MDX and she enjoys the SUV with 3 roll seats and can take the kids around town. She does not care too much about the handling and fun to drive. I drive a RAV4 and like the handling, small body, agility and high seat. My 17 year old drives the 323i and loves the performance and maneuverability. My point here is it depends on what you are looking for. I am looking for X3 as my next car because of fun to drive with high seats, but not to haul kids around town and need a lot of space to travel with my kids with a car full of luggage. X3 seems to be a good choice but after reading about the interior quality, I am a little concern and need to see it in person.
    It all depends upon the test drive, if it drives anywhere as great as the 3 series (and edmunds review says it does) and the interior isn't cheap (has to have soft touch plastic) then I am willing to put down the cash. I was already thinking about getting a 330xi anyways but with heated steering wheel, power folding side mirrors, panorama sunroof, all that utility and a navigation screen that can be used as a tv all for the same price I have to at least give it a test drive to be sure. It is an awsome deal though
  • minidriverminidriver Member Posts: 1
    A great deal here may be in the unpopular "lease" idea.

With a new BMW creature like this, residuals are going to be very high for a while. One of the rare times leasing is a good idea for anyone interested in the X3.

Heck, if the X3 3.0s remain as rare in supply & high in demand as the MINI Cooper S for a few seasons, it'll prove easier to turn a quick profit than it would be to lose money selling one to pay-off the lease.

Put 0 or next to nothing down, get a 60 month (longer if possible) term with 12k mi./year (less if possible); & sell it in 6-12 months for next to no loss.

Just to say... BMW introducing a new vehicle is rare and certain customer benefits present themselves.

If you're wanting one now, but believe it is better to wait for the 2nd build-year of a new vehicle, leasing one will let you get in & out of one easily, early-on.
    actually if anyone wants to wait they can do the european delivery and save a couple thousand
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    it appears the cargo capacity is larger in the X3 than in the X5. bmwusa site also lists the cargo area (with seats up & UNDER the cargo cover) as 33 cubic feet. Is that possible? If true, that seems like a cavernous space UNDER the cargo cover. The X3 is about the same dimensions as a CR-V, and I don't think the CR-V has close to that amount of space under the cargo cover. Maybe from floor to ceiling it would.
  • jmnbmwjmnbmw Member Posts: 1
    I went to the Miami Auto show last week and and saw the X3 in person.
    I have been a big BMW fan for many years and was eagerly waiting for the X3.
    But I was very disaponited with the X3. It has too much plastic materials on the exterior and inside.
    The bumpers are big (like the Xterra) and are in black rubber. Inside the X3 looks a bit funky but cheese. And the base MSRP is $30K for the 2.5 engine. It looks like a RAV4.
    Chao
    i was afraid of this when i saw pictures of all the hard plastic in the interior.
  • mkarpmkarp Member Posts: 22
    I have been reading that test drives will be available starting Nov. 28. Does anyone know how to find out what dealers will have an X3 on that day? I can not believe that every dealer will be given an x3 this early since they will not be offically available to purchase until feb. 04.

I also would like to know if dealers are taking orders? if they are, can anyone tell me what type of turn out or numbers they have been seeing?
  • morphiemorphie Member Posts: 95
    I just returned from an auto show, and had an opportunity to examine the X3 in the flesh. It was impressive.

We have an Audi A6 Avant (2002 wagon) and are looking at alternatives. Frankly, my intention was to gaze at the 3 and 5 series awd wagons (of which there were none), when I literally tripped over the X3.

It was black, with the 3.0; well optioned, it was a bit over 40K. Candidly, I will tell you that I am, by disposition, anti-SUV. However, this vehicle drew me in.

First, my impression was that space utilization, especially behind the rear seats, is far superior to the X5. It was that serious flaw that caused me to write off the X5 a few years ago (having a Newfoundland. and a daughter causes one to prioritize). The interior does not look cheap. Audi interiors are, in my opinion, the only ones to rival Lexus; consequently, I think my standards are reasonably high. It does not have too much plastic content. Indeed, the choices of interior trim are substantial. Even the rear seating is adequate. Also, the vehicle is available for test drives. I intend to take one.

By the way: If it is of any interest: my wife, who is on her second Audi, was very intrigued. She might even let me buy her one, after a 1/2 day test drive.
  • xenon240xenon240 Member Posts: 9
    Local dealership brought in a 3.0L X3, test drove it yesterday, here's my impression:
    - I currently have a RAV4, cargo dimensions are similar to the RAV, width at the wheel wells is 38", width at opening is 44", with front seats at a normal position and rear seats down,you could fit cargo about 66" in length.
    - never test drove a BMW before but I recently test drove the new 2004 Acura TL, handling and performance of the X3 was very close to the sedan.
    - some comments about the use of cheap plastics, it all depends on what you are use to and your preferences. All vehicles these have cheaper looking plastics, but the X3's plastics do have texture to make them more pleasing to the eye, but they are hard plastic.
    - overall I would say the standard interior is acceptible for a near luxury vehicle, if you like wood its optional.
    - interior room in the front and back is more then the 3 Series as a comparison.
    - I test drove on snow packed roads and the X3 handled the slippery surfaces very well.
    - when you addup the options, i.e. power seats, automatic climate control, parking control, heated seats, automatic, the price approaches that of the Mercedes ML (that another story!)
    - I'm most likely going to purchase one!
    hopefully not all the plastics are hard, but I also hope the drive is as good as the 3 series.

I think the 3- series interior is getting kinda old anyways so the x3's interior at least looks new
  • nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    How does the interior look without the Premium Pkg? Does anyone have a pic?

Thanks,

-nobee
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I got to sit in and play around with the X3 at the SF auto show. I thought it looked modern in the Z4 kind of way. My wife, who prefers softer looking interiors with more wood, hated it. Despite owning nine BMW's in my life, they aren't designing them for me like they used to.
    So would you say the cargo space, UNDER THE CARGO COVER, is more, or less than that of the trunk of, say, the TL?

Did your dealer have the price list out? Is the price structure of the X3 close to that of that 330ix? Fully-loaded X3 would top out at about $60K CAD?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
  • vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    I have been putting off a purchase of the Infiniti FX35 for several months as I awaited the arrival of the X3. Having been a BMW driver now for the last 8 years, I am very partial and want to keep driving BMWs. I have to say that I am a bit disappointed in the X3. Doesn't mean I still won't buy one.

BAD THINGS

1. Too much plastic. Yes, what I've been reading here is true.

2. Solid door feel is not there. The doors seem thin/hollow. I miss the true sound/feel of a BMW wrapping me up tight.

3. The passenger cupholder is about the cheapest thing I have ever seen in a BMW. Except for maybe the cupholders in my 99 5-series!

4. Price, when you start building a complete car.

GOOD THINGS

1. Looks sharp.

2. Lots of cargo room for a midsize SUV.

3. Surprisingly lots of interior room for both front and rear seat passengers.

4. Assuming the drive will be close to 3-series like.

Must await lease prices and test drive to make the final decision!
  • xenon240xenon240 Member Posts: 9
    1. No, I would say the trunk space of the TL would be slightly larger than the cargo area under the cargo cover. In fact the cargo area of my RAV is probably a little larger since the RAV has about a 4" lower lift gate. But if you take the cargo area with seats folded down it is more than the RAV and a little less than the X5.
    2. Here is the pricing for Canadian market
    - 2.5i - $44,600
    - 3.0i - $49,850
    - automatic - $1290
    - sunroof - $1800
    - power seats - $1800
    - PDI - $1890
    - heated seats - $520
    - metallic paint - $800
    As you can see the X3 can start to get pricey very quickly!
  • buckeyekevinbuckeyekevin Member Posts: 3
    I went to the BMW dealer tonight to pick up a brochure on the X3. While I was talking to the salesman, he mentioned that they just got a demo in and were prepping it at the moment. I asked him when it would be ready to drive, and he went back to ask them. They had just finished it, and the saleman asked me if I wanted to drive it. So luckily, I was the first person to test drive their X3.

Since I like the look of the X5, I was initially intrigued by the thought of the similar, but less expensive X3. Upon seeing the interior pics and the plastic on the bumpers, I wasn't that impressed. Let me just say that the pictures DO NOT do this car justice. Also, I was worried that the interior would be too small. (I'm comparing it to the Lexus RX330 and Acura MDX.)

Seeing it in person, the interior space looks much larger than the specs seem to indicate. Also, the plastic bumpers don't look as bad in person. I really like the styling of the exterior. It has a muscular, sports car look with extra interior space and cargo room.

The interior is much, much better than the pictures indicate also. The aluminum trim that was in the demo I drove looked terrible, but I think the wood would make the interior look quite nice. There is a lot of plastic, but it is the type of plastic that you would find in the X5. The seats are very comfortable. In my opinion, it's very comparable to the 325i.

Now for the drive. I was very worried that it would be much too harsh. It is, in fact, a bit more harsh than the Lexus or Acura, but it is very tolerable. The shifting was very smooth, and the acceleration was great (3.0L).

Overall, I was impressed. The ride is much better than I anticipated, and the interior space is bigger than I thought it would be. It pretty much felt like I was driving a car except that I was sitting a little higher.

Probably the best feature in the car -- the panoramic moonroof. It is HUGE! Even the cover is power. When it is open, it's almost like you're in a convertible. This option is a MUST HAVE!

If anybody has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
    thanks for the impressions buckeyekevin

my questions are was that demo a sportpackaged x3?
    that would explain why the ride is harsh
    and is the plastic soft-touch plastic?
  • phastphilphastphil Member Posts: 22
    Vista in SF says their X3 will be in this week, ready for demo drives after Thanksgiving. buckeyekevin, thanks for your report, I've been anticipating the X3 since I first heard about it - hoping it would fill my need for more space and still feel fairly crisp in the handling and accelerating departments (I did the Lexus SUV road show - and did NOT like the mushy ride of the RX330 - talk about tacky plastic - the Lexus set need standards, but the X5 had a lot of jittery movement which I'm hoping the X3 will address with a slightly better ride).

You didn't mention the back seat room - can two full size adults sit back there without having the front occupants move their seats forward to crush their knees up against the dash? First deliveries are supposed to be 3.0L with Premium pkgs - was that what you drove?

I've seen a lot of this plastic metallic trim around, and although its not my taste, it seems its everywhere. It was what turned me off on the FX (besides other issues - like harsh ride - tacky interior - poor resale value - French ownership, etc). I'm more the tasteful wood and leather type - so maybe the optional wood trim will work for me.

Its been interesting to see the first drive reviews hit this forum....so far I think it is 4 to 1 FOR the X3. Any other negative reports? I will make up my own mind, but its always nice to see other peoples opinions, in case I miss something.
    The demo I drove did not have the sport package. It was the 3.0L engine with the premium package and leather seats and some other options that I don't remember right now.

When I say that the ride is a little harsh, I don't mean jarring. It was a controlled harsh. Again, not as soft as the Lexus (as expected). When you drive over bumps in the road, you feel them. I'm wondering how this would be after a few hours on the highway.

I would describe the interior plastic as soft -- definitely softer that the plastic in, say, an Infiniti.

The back seat room was adequate. Definitely less than the X5, but I'm 6'2" and I could sit comfortably behind the driver's seat that was adjusted for me.

If you want a 3 series, but need more cargo space, you're probably going to like the X3.

I do feel, however, that it is a bit overpriced. When you compare it to the RX330 or MDX (which are much larger), the X3 is more expensive (with the 3.0L engine).
    All BMWs are overpriced. The stripper base model price looks OK until you realize what you're missing. BMW makes its profit on the options.
    it's good to know that the plastic isn't all hard which would annoy me greatly since I am noticing alot of companies using those on their suvs, even Lexus.
    I think that if the ride is as good as the 3 series with sport suspension then I will find that acceptable.
    As for overpricing, yeah it is but I try to think of it as getting a bmw suv for the same price as a 3-series xi. If you were thinking of getting a beemer anyways then it's not too bad a price.
    I wasn't initially interested in any SAV, but when I read the xDrive can direct torque to any one wheel that has traction, I thought it sounded like a 4WD type of vehicle with BMW driving dynamics. For the price of a 3-series I'll forgo the extra 0-60 in favor of the ability to navigate the wintery conditions of the NE with much less angst.
    I don't understand the Premium Packages on the 3.0 X3.

It comes standard with leather and power seats, but the Premium Package on the 3.0 X3 charges for the Montana leather and then 4 way power lumbar.

Isn't that overcharging twice for the Montana leather?
    "For the price of a 3-series I'll forgo the extra 0-60 in favor of the ability to navigate the wintery conditions of the NE with much less angst."

LOL, or you can just get a FWD like the Acura TL and slap on all-seasons and not have to worry about it.
    "LOL, or you can just get a FWD like the Acura TL and slap on all-seasons and not have to worry about it."

I think the X3 will outperform the TL in bad winter driving conditions, which was my point. Until I read the xDrive can transfer torque to any one wheel, I wasn't interested. Having had a 4WD vehicle that did just that, it was a great sense of security not to worry about being stuck in high drifts and snow.

I wouldn't say with a FWD that you wouldn't have to worry about it. I can remember getting stuck quite a few times with all-seasons and FWD, such that I needed a push. Never did get stuck in the Jeep though.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    "It comes standard with leather and power seats, but the Premium Package on the 3.0 X3 charges for the Montana leather and then 4 way power lumbar."

The BMWUSA site shows Sensatec (i.e. vinyl aka leatherette) as standard upholstery for 3.0 X3...
    screwy way of doing it since it comes standard with the power seats. yet if you opt for the leatherette, and then the site says they won't make the power seats, they're basically forcing you to buy leather.

sigh . . . that's the thing i really hate with bmw. great cars, but the skimping they do for the prices they charge and then quoting deceptively low base prices.

it's annoying.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I just checked out a silver X3 3.0 at the SF auto show. The interior was black with some silver trim. It is definitely more spacious than a 3-series and the coolest feature is the panoramic sunroof.

However, I found the interior materials to be appalling! All I could think of was "decontenting, decontenting..." Seriously, the look and touch of the interior seemed incredibly poor in a car in this segment.

Others may differ, but this interior is on par with the Z4 and new 5-series... all of which I think are not acceptable in this price range.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Many people have posted about the quality (or lack thereof) the interior materials. As with most things, the basis of opinion would be related to the commentor's experiences with other vehicles. So I'm wondering what the baseline is here.

I mean, how does the X3 interior compare to really cheap plastic that you might find in a Honda (like a CR-V) or a Saturn?

Is the interior on par with Acura models (a little better than the cheap stuff, not as nice as Audi, etc)? Thanks.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    personally, I actually think a CRV has better interior materials.

At this price range, BMW is competing with Acura (MDX), Lexus (RX330), Infiniti (FX35) and (to some extent) VW Toureg. Granted, the driving experience is very different but the interior on this vehicle is either at the bottom or second to the bottom of this list.

Good thing we have plenty of choices!
    Let's face it, BMW is the premium luxury and sporting brand. This has got to be BMW's experiment to see just how cheap they can go on interiors and still get people to pay up the wazoo. Once they figure out the maximum profit point balancing cost of materials vs. how much they can charge, they'll start doing it.
    I don't own a BMW, but from what I remember from test-driving a 325i, I would say that the X3's interior is on par with the 3-series and slightly cheaper than the X5. Again, the X3 that I drove had the aluminum trim, and I think that the wood trim would greatly increase the perceived quality of the interior.

I also agree with what someone said earlier -- that the sunroof is the best feature. It is simply enormous and very ingenious in the way it opens and tilts.

I also don't agree with people comparing this vehicle with the Honda CR-V. I was comparing the interior dimensions to the RX330, and they are very comparable, with the RX being slightly larger in most areas.
    "I also don't agree with people comparing this vehicle with the Honda CR-V. I was comparing the interior dimensions to the RX330, and they are very comparable, with the RX being slightly larger in most areas."

Someone was asking sunlib how the interior materials in the X3 compared to other brands, specifically the Honda CR-V. Sunlib replied that the interior materials in the X3 were cheaper looking in his opinion than the interior materials in the Honda CR-V.
  • diggydoc1diggydoc1 Member Posts: 22
    I didn't get to drive it, but sat in it and looked around inside. I thought the quality of the interior material was just O.K. I've been shopping the RX330 and FX35 and MDX. The X3 felt smaller in all dimensions to me. It had the least quality feel to the interior. Comparably equipped, it was the most expensive sticker. The X3 I looked at had the Premium package and leather interior with heated seats and the panoramic sunroof....the 3.0 engine and automatic. It was $42K+. I think it's gonna be a hard sell at that price considering Lexus and Acura have a cheaper sticker, have a better reliability record and better resale. I guess it depends on the volume they are looking for. All that said, I thought it was a sweet vehicle. I still kinda want one and will test drive one. So am I contradicting myself?!
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    I waited it out, and got to t-drive the X3 yesterday (in the dark) - I was somewhat disappointed as I expected to drive a smaller version of the X5.
    Drove a 3.0, premium, sunroof, cold weather automatic with xenon headlights, and was shocked that it stickered only 4K less than the similarly equiped X5! Then I took it for the ride.
    Pro's: Great sun roof! 3.0 has lots of power in this smaller vehicle - very zippy.
    Con's: first impresion after opening/closing the door was that BMW did not give the vehicle that "solid" feel, insides while clean did seem a littel sparse - wether this was the plastic (cheap or not, did not bother me) is a hard call. Also, the instrumentaion is not the standard BMW layout that I have gotten use to looking at. There is significantly less leg room in the second row seats, which were somewhat uncomfortable to sit in for the short time I was sitting in the back.The ride was not as solid as other SAV in this price range - comparing it to the ride of the CRV might be close...and lastly the price..at 42K, the 4K difference to the luxury of the X5 seems like a no brainer - way more car/SAV for less than 10% more. The only advantages I could see over the X5 was the almost convertable like moon/sunroof....

Have fun with your test drive - I think BMW will find many who drive this first and then the X5 will step up to the X5....
    There is more cargo room in the X3 (behind the 2nd row seats) though, is there not? That might sway some folks towards the X3.
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    the extra cargo room in the X3 is coming at the expense of 2nd row leg room.
  • bmwbob277bmwbob277 Member Posts: 15
    I came--I looked--I sat---I felt---I rubbed

And then I cried.

This thing "sucks" $43,000??? I waited a year for what??

I'm very disappointed.
    I just received Car and Driver; the review of the X3 was very disappointing. The primary, but not only, criticism was of the ride, which was harsh (pun intended).

We will still test drive the X3; however, I am not optimistic.
    I took the X3 3.0 for a test drive this morning and like to provide my impression. This 3.0 has the auto transmission and premium package. MSRP is 43K+. I currently drive the RAV4, my wife drives the MDX and my son drives the 313i so it is fair for me to make some viable comparison.

Pros: 1. I like the exterior quality, workmanship and design. It is a good looking car although the black bumper is a miss but the dark color can blend together well. 2. I agree the big 2-piece sun roof is great and is the main attraction. 3. Drive is good as expected. However, when I switch to auto shift on highway, the M5 didn’t seem to have any passing power and when I switch back to fully automatic, the power is back. Handling and maneuverability are quite good. 4. Leather seat is good. Seat height is perfect for me, just like my RAV4.

Cons: 1. Interior is a disappointment in terms of grade not quality. (refers to the material grade). The most talkabout in this forum is the hard plastic which is true and is not very high grade. I compare the X3 with my MDX and the MDX is a winner hands down, soft, high grade materials. Even with my RAV4 interior, the plastic is as good if not better than the 43K+ X3. After the test drive, I went to see the Z4 in the showroom and notice they use the same grade plastic on Z4. I guess that’s the way BMW does it to cut cost. Unfortunately, the X3 is a SAV and has a lot of area to cover unlike the Z4 and it makes the X3 looks bad. 2. I was told by the salesman that the 6-disk CD player is an option/accessory and will not be located in the center where the current CD is. He said he is not sure whether it will be located in the trunk or the glove compartment like the new 5-Series. Is there a reason BMW cannot design a 6-disk CD player right the first time? I thought they are one of the best, technology wise. 3. The two tracks for the bike is a nice-to-have feature but I wonder how many times I put my bike in my car during my life time. It certainly a good place to store crumbs and the salesman said there is no stripe accessory to cover the tracks. I am an engineer and like the details and these are some of the things I am disappointed about, especially a 43K+ vehicle.

I plan to give myself another try when the X3 2.5 is available. By lowering my expectation with the 4-5K less cost and hope the 2.5 engine can pull this 4000 lbs vehicle adequately, I may reconsider buying this baby.
    Took the X3 for a test drive over the Thanksgiving weekend. This car was a 3.0 automatic with the sunroof. This other guy had test driven it just before I did and we compared notes, and had remarkably similar opinions:

1. Exterior. From the outside the car looks great. Its width and length are almost as big as an X5, but it looks about 3 inches shorter. In terms of design it reminds me most of Infiniti's FX cars in that both look like a hybrid of station wagon and SUV. I'm not a big Bangle fan, but I think he did a good job on the X3.

Not so subtle signs of cost cutting are apparent when you look carefully at the car. In addition to the unpainted bumpers (doesn't bother me actually b/c parking in NYC means the paint would get scraped anyway in a few months), the tailpipe is hanging exposed and has an unfinished appearance, in contrast to the X5 which covers the dual exhaust in a nice plastic.

2. Interior.
    The seats are OK. The leather was not the highest grade but was not bad, less thigh support than I remember compared to past BMWs I've driven but overall acceptable. Interior space utilization was also good. Back seats are comfortable (I'm 5'11").

However, everything else is awful. The dash layout is OK but it's covered in this cheap plastic covered with these sharp little bumps intended to give it a rich grainy appearance. It fails. The dash looks like the mating of recycled plastic tacky souvenirs with a cactus.

People here have commented on the cruddy cupholders. Personally, I like to drive sticks so I never drink or eat when driving so I could care less about the cupholder. That being said, I've seen nicer cupholders in entry level Nissan Sentras.

3. Ride and Handling. I have no idea why some people complained about the ride. The ride on the X3 is phenomenal. I beat the hell out of the car in the test drive taking 45 degree turns at 50, accelerating uphill and downhill and veering from side to side to test the balance and this car passed with flying colors. It's also comfortable ride in the back seat as well.

The active steering works great. When you're going slow (such as when parking), the wheel is very easy to turn but at higher speeds the wheel tightens up. It's all doen naturally so you don't feel any jerk as the planetary gear set on the active steering wheel switches gears.

4. Acceleration. I don't know how heavy this vehicle is, but 225 HP felt barely adequate. I wouldn't count on much juice in this thing when fully loaded with 5 adults and their gear. It drives so much like a 3-series that I expected the kick when pressing the gas, but it comes a little later and with a little less urgency than expected.

5. Sunroof. Great sunroof. Like the Cadillac SRX.

Bottom line: It's a great looking but slightly underpowered vehicle that drives and handles like a BMW and has a well laid out interior which, unfortunately, is marred by cheap materials and cost-cutting.

My recommendation is at $42K (for a fully optioned X3 3.0), this car costs way too much given the crappy interior materials and lack of HP. If market forces cause BMW to discount it to $35k, then I'm interested.

The person who test drove it before me echoed my feelings except he was even more disappointed with the lack of HP. He's the proud owner of a 2001 530i and was looking to trade it in for a SUV because his growing children were getting cramped in the back. I told him he may want to keep his car given the way the new 5-series has been Bangled. He took a look at the new 5-series, said "eeew!" and took off saying "Guess I'll test drive the FX now."
    As James has been quite thorough with his test drive summary, I shall not be redundant. However, my perception of the X3's ride, is somewhat different.

The vehicle available was a 3.0 with sport suspension (tires, etc). As is our habit, when considering the purchase of a vehicle we have no familiarity with, we asked for a minimum of a two (2) hour drive. We were tossed the keys and asked to bring it back before sunset.

I believe it is essential to drive a car, when testing, on roads that one traverses, daily. For us (my wife and I) that means a combination of Interstate highway and secondary roads. It is about a 50/50 split. As is common in the Northeast, the surfaces range from good to moderately poor; nothing out of the ordinary. The bottom line: I find the X3's ride, in this incarnation, unacceptable.

The most prevalent impression is one of calmness interspersed with jarring moments. While I am not an expert, I have owned vehicles with Koni shocks, set full "hard". Consequently, I think I have some basis for comparison.

Most disturbingly, the X3 jumps around, in mid corner, when faced with a less than ideal road surface. There appears to be little harmony between the shocks and springs. Mind you, on a smooth road course, the X3 would probably acquit itself very well. However, that is not its mission.

My only suggestion, since there are disparate opinions, is to try it for yourself. I will sample the "stock" version when one is available.

One other thing: the X3 is not asembled by BMW. Make sure, if you are familiar with recent bimmers, that you are fully content with the aesthetics.
    Thanks Morphie for sharing your test drive experience on X3. I only drove the X3 for 20 minutes or so and didn't feel the hard ride which I don't prefer. It may just well be the RAV4 I am getting so used to which has a little bit harshness on bumpy road. I will test drive again when the 2.5 is available and hopefully without the salesman sitting next to me so I can focus on the test drive. I really like the car, the design, height, size and engine (may have a different feedback for 2.5 verion). It is the interior and price (which I expected because of BMW brand) I am disappointed about. I have to settle this mixed feeling about X3 to purchase one.
  • tfedmundstfedmunds Member Posts: 1
    I went for a short test drive of the X3. I've been waiting for it's debut to make my final car decision. I thought the performance was fine, although not much better than the X5 3.0, even with the mcuh lighter weight. The killer was the quality and price. The interior is awful, I assume the wood trim option may help. The pricing for the 3.0 liter is ridiculous. Why not get the X5 for a few grand more? I predict they will sell very few 3.0 liters. The 2.5 may be good enough for people who just have to have a Bimmer. I went out and bought an FX35 loaded for under $41K. It blows the X3 away.