Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    I really like my sunroof and it is the first thing everyone notices when they get into my X3. (I agree with Robertv that it would be nice if it started closer to the windshield).
    If I had the kind of problems some of you have experienced then I would certainly feel different about it.
    I have only 9,000 miles in 10 months and I love driving my X3. I can't imagine another car that offers the safety, fun of driving, unique styling, comfort, reasonable gas mileage, engineering, and all at a fairly reasonable price (if you put the same options on an Explorer or Cherokee). Happy driving!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Never cared much for sunroofs/moonroofs, big or small. Potential problems with leaks, rattles, etc as others have pointed out. :sick: And IMO they actually make the interior hotter. A pet peeve of mine is how many manufacturer force you to buy the thing by grouping it into an option package. :mad: Rented a Mustang convertible on the weekend just for fun. And IMO, if you really want open-air motoring, a convertible is the way to go. :shades:
  • yetialanyetialan Member Posts: 13
    For those of you that travel with children in your X3 I have a couple quick questions. I am looking to sign a 39 month lease and I am expecting our 1st child soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) With a car seat in the back from ages 1-3 is their room on either side of the car seat for two adults to sit comfortably (assuming the baby seat is in the middle rear seat)?

2) Does a stroller and baby stuff all fit in the back of the X3 from your experiences if the wife and I go away for a weekend (I know this depends on how much you pack but wanted opinions)?

3) Any other comments

I am also looking at M class, Jeep and X5 (X5 really does not seem that much bigger than X3 dimensions both interior and exterior!)

THANK YOU

THANK YOU
    Thanks
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    Bag width wise in the back??
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    In May a 39 month lease was MORE per month than a 36 month lease. Maybe things are different now.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Special 39 month leases this month... on the X3 and X5...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

About 3 reviews I have read say the X3 is slightly smaller than the X5 externally, but is actually larger internally. Hope that helps a bit. Questions 1 to 3 I don't know, but people who have sat in the back of my X3 say it's very comfortable.

• provoloneprovolone Member Posts: 3
    We were in exactly the same situation in April '04 and haven't regretted one day our decision to purchase the X3. To answer your questions:
    1. There is room on both sides for adults to sit when using the infant rear facing and the toddler front facing car seat. We used a Graco and now have a Britax. BTW baby in the middle is the safest position.

2. Big Graco stroller fits. We have enough room in the back to pack for a weekend, a week however requires us to put the Thule box on top. Suggestion is to bring your stroller to the dealer and try it out.

3. Rock solid engine, sturdy safe family of three vehicle. Drive an X3 and you will eliminate the Jeep from contention immediately.
    any infomation about engine upgrade? Trim? etc?
    Could I get an opinion about my first oil change and any other advice about regular maintenance. The first oil change will be done by the dealer at 15,000 miles (here in Canada at 24,000 kms.), no charge. The salesman who sold me the car says he would have the filter changed before that!
    I'll only have about 10,000 miles (15,000 kms.) on the car after one year. Any ideas on when and how often oil changes should be done would be helpful.

In the US, BMW will provide a complimentary oil change at the one-year mark, even if your service is not yet due...

Then at the service interval, they will change it again.. You might ask your service department about this.... If they will do this, your problem is solved.

Growing up with 3K mile oil changes, I've found it is impossible for me to wait that long.. I pay for an oil change myself at 7500 miles ($94 USD). Since we drive about 15K mi./yr, this is just an extra $94/yr..

Maybe not necessary, but it will look good when I go to sell the car.. I doubt it is really necessary..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Consumer Reports just had an article about sludge problems in modern engines and the relationship to oil change intervals. In general, CR is very anti doing any extra servicing beyond mfg requirements, but they feel the risk is high enough that most cars should have oil changes done under the "severe use" schedule which for most cars results in changes every 5K-7.5K.

So I'm with kyfdx - while I don't think the old 3K intervals are really necessary, I also think 15K is going WAY too long. It keeps BMW's "free" service costs down I'm sure, but the cost of an extra change at 7.5K is peanuts and would give me a lot of peace of mind. Oil change intervals are compromises and I think many of the mfgs have swung the pendulum a little too far in an effort to reinforce the perception that their cars require very little maintenance.

Doing it at 7.5K would get you the new filter the salesman recommends as well.

- Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm on the longer interval side of the oil wars and saw the news reports about the CR study the other day. From reading their list, I'm sort of glad I didn't get the Sienna back in '99 when we got our van.

Here's the CR blurb:

Sludge: Jumping through hoops to make a case

CR's legendary taxi test used a 6,000 mile interval. (Australian Consumers' Association)

Steve, Host
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Why second guess the service indicator? It measures everything : number of cold starts, time spent idling, reving, etc.. I believe BMW knows better. I would bring it in at least once a year to check other things in addition to oil but wouldn't change oil any more frequently.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    >Why second guess the service indicator? It measures everything : number of >cold starts, time spent idling, reving, etc...
    Actually, since the mid-nineties the SI system has calculated maintenance intervals solely by the amount of fuel consumed. Munich's engineers claim that the calculated intervals are as accurate as those obtained by the old multiple input method.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    I doubt that it's still true. Can you confirm that? I thought I read on BMW material that it measure multitude of factors.
    The 2004 model year Fast Facts book for BMW dealership and internal use states: "The SII microprocessor tracks the vehicle's fuel consumption, which BMW engineers have found is an accurate predictor of service needs."
    Thank you for the information about when to do oil changes. Now I am really confused. Just joking! I think from the information I would tend to change oil at least once a year, and at about the 10,000 mile (15,000 kms.) mark. The article from Consumers Report and all the other information was very interesting and I would be interested in more thoughts.
    Another question on the same topic. My previous new cars which were always American cars, I usually took them to non-dealership places for oil changes. I once heard the dealership has such high costs that they are going to find work to do because the oil change doesn't really pay for the garage time. This worked out fine, and was faster because you can get in and out faster at a specialty lube place.
    Does anyone do this with a BMW?

The last I heard, BMW will still perform the oil service free of charge on an annual basis if you don't drive enough miles in one year to trigger the SIII. If you don't want to perform oil changes yourself-it's a very simple procedure-then you need to find a good independent BMW tech to do the job. I would NEVER take a BMW to a quickie lube joint. They won't have the proper filter or the proper oil-and none of their alleged "techs" will have opposable thumbs(and 95% of them can't spell "BMW"). These quickie shops are possibly OK for mass-market disposable appliances like Accords, Camrys, and Impalas, but not BMWs. A friend of mine who runs an independent shop will often run across an Audi, BMW, or such with a rubber plug replacing the now stripped oil drain bolt. He'll ask the customer if they took the car to Jiffy Boob and they often ask how he knew...
    I wouldn't even take my Accord to a Jiffy Boob. If you change your oil once a year, who cares even if the dealer charges 3x what Boob charges!
    Check these discussions out too:

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Synthetic motor oil

I've never looked at this one, but the title sounds fun:

Oil change/fiascos

Steve, Host
  • gatordadgatordad Member Posts: 2
    We have a 05 BMW 3.0 X3 with 2,500 miles. While we really enjoy the vehicle, we get abysmal gas mileage; roughly 10.5 miles blended city/highway (however we do live in a city and 80 percent of that is city). Nevertheless, that’s still terrible. We brought it in to our dealer and the service guy gave me all the yadda, yadda, stuff why gas mileage differs from vehicle to vehicle. As I was leaving the mechanic that was working on my car came over to me and said “I can’t believe you’re the first customer to complain about that. We don’t understand why the 3.0 X3 gets such lousy gas mileage.”

Does anyone else have a similar experience?
    10.5 MPG? :surprise: Yikes! Does your normal commute involves lots of idling?
  • gatordadgatordad Member Posts: 2
    Not really. I work out of my house and my wife works .8 of a mile from our house. We do a lot of around town stuff, you know supermarket, bed bath and beyond, etc.
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    10.5...something is wrong.

Unless you are standing on the accelerator constantly, which is hard not to do, with this puppy, there is a problem there.

We are still putting our first thousand miles on but the [non-permissible content removed] mpg has climbed to 18.8 and seems to want to go higher. All city, stop and go driving.

Oil changes and dealer costs...

There is absolutely no way BMW is going to risk severe engine damage in the warranty period.

Those costs would dwarf their oil change costs.

They are using a full synthetic from the factory and have to have total confidence in the recommended change interval.

I would not risk having anyone but the dealer do the change at the one year or recommended interval.
  • bmwnabmwna Member Posts: 32
    I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
    BMW leases a large portion of the cars it sells (here in North America). I can't find the statistic right now, but I believe the leased BMW population was around the 50% mark (and probably increasing in percentage.)

BMW Financial and BMW dealers (and customers of course) buy and sell previously owned BMW's.

Not only does BMW not want to have problems with their cars in the first 50,000 miles (most leases are 39 months or LESS), they want to certify the cars once they come off lease so they can be sold a second time. Again, the Certification process probably includes some fairly broad warranty coverage of the car to 100,000 miles or 6 years (or somethings in that spirit.)

Again, BMW would be crazy for the cost of more frequent oil + filter changes to risk repair bills (even at cost) that would dwarf the cost of more frequent oil changes.

BMW demands that you use "BMW oil" (VW and Audi do the same thing) so that would pretty much suggest you should NOT get your oil changed somewhere other than a BMW dealer (the hassle factor will go to "11").

The point of all the above is, if you are reading this you probably leased your BMW and the lease will be equal to or less than the period of the warranty coverage.

Changing the oil more frequently is NOT a bad thing -- but it probably doesn't protect you, unless you plan to keep the car "forever."

The more frequent oil changes seem to be a good idea -- of that there is probably little debate.

And, due to the hassle factor, you will most certainly need to have the oil changed at the dealer.

What is the benefit to you of changing the oil more frequently -- especially if you are one of the people who lease?

I am certain there is some benefit -- to the engine -- of doing so, but it is probably pretty small. If the benefit was large and the risk in the first 100,000 miles could be traced to over long oil change intervals, you can bet BMW would just cut the time and or mileage accordingly.

Don't waste your money. Do check your oil level. Do use a "top tier gas" (www.toptiergas.com).

Don't sweat it. :shades:
    I think (part of) the problem is your normal day involves lots of very short trips, and the engine is constantly running only warm at best. But still....10.5 mpg?! :cry:
    Mark,

Could I ask you to BRIEFLY compare the x3 to the allroad. Acceleration, fit and finish, driving charactor?

The interior is a bit below, and for the nearing 50k price I am a bit underwealmed.
    Looking at the x5 its quite a difference!

But the x5 in a stick seems silly, the x5 might be bloated in size with little cargo gain (acutally none!) and since its coming fast to the end its very long cycle witht he new one coming very soon!

You seem very happy with the X3!
    Mark... I think he is making a comment on your writing style... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ya think? :blush:
    X3 225 HP 6speed manual -- acceleration, decent, adequate -- improves after a couple thousand miles (thirsty, but OK -- 22+.) X3 225 HP 5spd selectronic -- acceleration, adequate, transmission "hunts" -- shifts up and down, very annoying (even thirstier, plus they charge for the auto transmission when they should pay you for taking it.) New X3 w/255 HP and 6spd manual, steptronic and hopefully SMG should mitigate some of the outgoing model issues pertaining to the auto.

allroad 250 HP 6speed manual -- acceleration, strong (especially 1 - 3 gears), more than adequate -- improves after 5000 miles (thirsty, too.) allroad 250 HP 5spd tiptronic -- "tip lag," "turbo lag," "really thirsty," far less satisfying; avoid at all costs. allroad 4.2 V8, tip only -- "tip lag" or "hunting" behavior still there, but overall goodness of the V8 makes this the allroad to have if you want an automatic.

X3 can be had with a sport package -- feels like a firm BMW 3 series -- which is a good thing. Higher off the ground -- with this, you give and you get.

allroad can be modified with "H sport" anti-sway bars to pretty much eliminate body roll. allroad has four position air suspension which can be computer controlled to be very low indeed; when so modified and tired with 18" 245 x 45 wheels and tires, the allroad is a great sports sedan (that just happens to be an avant.) It is more offroad capable than any car, but less so than a jeep (the X3 is called an S. A. V, not S.U.V -- don't think the X3 is a truck, ditto the allroad.)

Interior of the Audi wins in any way you can list.

The styling of either is subjective. I like them both.

Either can now be had (if you can find one) with a DVD full screen navi system. Get it.

In terms of "car like" -- er, sporty character car like demeanor -- the Audi is your car.

Equip the X3 with about $10,000 worth of stuff and it is fun and luxurious but the interior compared with the Audi is "casual" while the Audi is "dressy."

Dress the X3 up, however, and it'll pass just fine at a black tie affair. That, however, requires that you dress it with the optional matching bumpers or buy it in Jet Black Gloss with a striking color interior with the Premium Leather, Sport Seats.

That, for me, is brief! :shades:
    Actually your posts are much easier to read than a lot of shorter ones around - all the paragraph breaks really help the readability.

While we're in comparison mode, this may be of interest:

Audi's allroad Paired Alongside New SUVs (Inside Line)

Audi seems to be looking at the M-Class as the competition, not the X3/X5.

Steve, Host
    Sure.. encourage him... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you,

I asked for you to be brief because I thought it was polite to do so. If I am asking for somthing, I appreciate the effort and just did not want you to spend much time.

I think if you want to write an epic review its cuz you got somting to say, and want to do so. But to ask for lenght would be rude.

Your well crafted posts are great even if long!
  • oldybutgoodyoldybutgoody Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone! I'm a recently registered Forum guy. Been following this Forum for several months. Just ordered a 2006 X3 3.0. Was told by dealer that the X3 2.5's are gone for 2006 which is OK with me because I wanted a 3.0 anyway. What wasn't OK with me was that he said the 3.0 engines were still 225 HP and not 255 HP. Anyone have any good news concerning this (Like maybe he was wrong?). Also, 2006 bumpers are to be body colored matched as are the rocker panels if you get the Sport Package. Glad to be on board. :)
    I think they are putting off the new engine in the X3, until the new, redesigned X5 comes out with the same engine..

Otherwise, sales of the X5 would go into the toilet...

Not sure when that is going to happen...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

My dealer owner, did say the new X3's would have the 255HP engine -- but when pressed, I think he said "eventually." Probably for the reasons you cited -- but why not put the 255HP in the X5's as of such and such a production date?

We are NOT unhappy with the 225HP 6, tho.

I was also told that the new X3's would have the 6spd manual and the 6 speed steptronic and probably (eventually) the SMG. Is this correct or are the two hand in hand -- 255HP and 6spd steps?

We love our stick shift and it does improve the mileage and the acceleration.

Glad that the body and bumpers will be the same color even if it means you have go with the sport package -- which is NOT a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.
    New re-designed X5 coming out very soon.. (January?)... So, to retrofit the old one for just half a year.....

Not a bad marketing idea... get the new X5 off to a big start... then later in the year, drop the new engine into the X3, and get another bump in interest....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I think they can dump enough X5's at good prices but the slow selling x3 needs a boost by improving the interior, and the new engine.

The lease deals on the x5 are incredible these days!
  • dlscarnutdlscarnut Member Posts: 6
    I have two quick questions regarding the X3....

1) Have you seen anyone obtain bumpers that could be painted for current body style X3? I assume the current bumpers could not be painted given their plastic texture.

2) Can you recommend a place that would sell OEM X3 wheels? I have a non sport and am looking to purchase the sport wheels/tires.

Thanks
    A Jen-U-Wine BMW accessory is available to dress up the X3.

Also you could buy OEM wheels from BMW, too.

HOWEVER, I believe there are "Jen-U-Wine" imitation replicas available that, when capped with the BMW center caps are 99.44/100% drop dead look alikes at a lot less money.

Google this or ebay it and you'll see what's out there.

The body kit IS, however a real BMW accessory.
    Why not with the nav system?
  • burgermacburgermac Member Posts: 43
    Don't know if you got a reply on this, or if you went ahead and bought the X3, but I can tell you as an '05 X3 owner and parent of an 18 month old, that car seats and adults fit fine. I actually traded down (interior space-wise) from a Yukon to the X3, and have not been disappointed. I would caution, however, against putting a car seat in the center position. It is true that that is the recommended placement, but most manufacturers will tell you that the LATCH system is designed so that the lower anchors should be used in pairs (the entire left side or the entire right side) and not one anchor from each side of the car (something having to do with the inner workings of the anchor system). I have been meaning to email a question regarding this issue to consumer reports to get the "official" answer. Just a free piece of advice. Also, we have been able to get the stroller from our Graco travel system into the rear of the X3, however, there is not much room for anything else (unless you stack things on top of the stroller. I would recommend using an umbrella stroler for any strolling you need to do away from the house (sort of negates the need for the travel system, huh?)

Hope this helps.
    The posted lease rates for the X5 on bmw.ca is still 4.5%. Maybe there are huge factory cap cost reduction incentives?

A heavily-discounted X5 would be very tempting since IMO the X5 4.4 is still one of the most attractive (styling and performance) SUVs out there, even in its old age!
    Our (OK, my wife's) X3 has 5,000 miles on it. This car has been flawless in every way (it is perhaps a tiny bit thirsty, but not bad.)

With the dressed up bumpers of the 2006 model and perhaps a bit finer vinyl grain on the dashboard (and the 3.0 255HP engine) this car has a great future ahead of it. It is BMW's "secret car." Configured like you will virtually never see it on the lot, the X3 is sporty, utilitarian AND does a pretty good job of being luxurious.

The handling is very much like a 2005 330xi and the comfort is very much like -- a BMW 3, too.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    For this to have happened, there would have to be a catastrophic failure in both the front and rear brake lines. There are two brake cylinders master and slave. They act as back-up to each other. With the exception of computer controlled ABS the brakes are mechanical.

I would believe the car was purposefully sabotaged in some fashion before I believed both brake cylinders went bad at the same time.
    Did she ever stop?

Twice this happened and has the problem been found? Substantiated?

Does she cry out for help repressing the clostrophobic repression that comes with the reality that your life is not your own and is now focused on the child?
  • sponge_worthysponge_worthy Member Posts: 27
    I wonder if others agree that the base Sound System in X3 is pretty sub-par for a ~40K vehicle. Compared to the base sound system I had in my '01 Saab 9-3 (I believed Clarion based) the X3 sound system sounds like a toy Fisher Price toy stereo. Horrible frequency range and radio reception fads in and out....

Thoughts?