Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    I am not sure that is a fair test. The X3 is not an off road SUV as in say a Jeep. It is an SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle) and the all wheel drive and other features are to make it a more sophisticated driving experience - not necessarily to be bouncing all over the place on back roads. I would like to see what would happen if they took other vehicles on those same roads, probably the real SUV's would not fare any better.

They also seem to find fault with the X3 braking so fast, that the guy in the Chev couldn't stop in time. Does that mean the X3 has brakes that are too good, and should be less powerful in case you have a GM car behind you.

The testers have done a lot of damage in very few miles.

Maybe the testers could be morons!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Yeah... I can just imagine the "dirt road" they took it on, and at what speeds.. And, with the 18" sport wheels and lowered suspension..

That combination is definitely not designed for off-road..

That said, I still wouldn't be too happy about my entire rear suspension failing.. Something tells me that vehicle got the same test they would give a Nissan Xterra or Toyota 4Runner... The X3 is just not that kind of vehicle, and isn't even advertised as such...

I always laugh when I see the Honda Ridgeline commercials, with the vehicle bouncing over the rutted cart path.. I think they are idiots to show the vehicle where it is probably the weakest in comparison to it's competitors... They would be better off showing the wife putting groceries in it... At least BMW shows the car on the road.. .where it blows away the competition...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwbob277bmwbob277 Member Posts: 15
    to KYFDX: I need to impose on your expertise pertaing to a lease that I'm working on for a 2005 X-3 3.0. In 12/03 I leased an X-5 that cost me $41,50.00. I am now rolling it over into a new lease on an 05 X-3.the MSRP is $39,695.00, residual is 70%,an miles 10,000,penality $0.20,residual is $27,786.50,term 24 months,cap cost, $37,205.00, trade $3,849.03,bank fee $625.00 adjusted cap $34,930.27,lease factor .00120 , calif tire fee $8.75,base monthly rental $372.92,use tax $28.90, total monthly payment $401.82,DMV fee $314.00, cap reduction tax$224.73, working cash payment $3,849.03,drive off $3,849.03. I would appreciate you imput. Thanks Bmwbob27
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    I agree "delrick" -- especially after this weekend.

I test drove the Saturn Saturday morning. It was nice and all, but just not what I was hoping it'd be. Afterward I popped into my BMW dealership for a spin in the X3 3.0 (I'd never driven one, just looked at and read about them) It was VERY nice. What a ride! Reminded me of my old 330i. I'm sold! Gas mileage sucks though.

I'm having trouble finding just what I want of the remaining 2005's. I really wanted a 6-Speed manual. Wonder if I shouldn't consider the 2.5 in a 6-speed? There may be more of those. Or get an automatic in the 3.0? Decisions... decisions....
    1) I don't like putting that much money upfront on a lease.. I understand that it is trade equity, so it isn't like you are writing a check.. but, anyway... besides that..

2) I like the deal.. It looks like no security deposit, though.. If you took $450 of that money and made a security deposit, they money factor would come down, and your payment would go up slightly, but you'd be ahead for the term of the lease.. A payment increase of about $12-$13, but a net gain of $150-$200, at the end of lease...

3) You could do a 39 month lease with the same exact structure as this one, and the payment would be $50/mo. less.... About $352/mo. including tax.. And, when you figure the downpayment and fees are spread over 39 months, instead of 24 months, the actual savings is closer to $100/mo...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• blackeye800blackeye800 Member Posts: 14
    Just clocked up my first 1000 miles in 3 weeks on 05 X3 3.0 "> and averaged 22.8 mpg on city and state roads - no highway miles. Me thinks it is fair mpg for a SAV.
    I'd say more good than fair.... almost great..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in the Lease Questions - Ask Here or The Return of "How to Calculate Monthly Lease Payments" discussions.

tidester, host
  • bmwbob277bmwbob277 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks Tidester and also to kyfdx. I'll look a little deeper tomorrow as I haven't started to grind on my salsemanager friend yet. Does any of you X-3 owners tried to add the auto dimming mirror and the garage door opener (home link) on a non- premium package vehicle? I won't need the alarm as you can program the system to give a visual and audible notification when the vehicle is locked. I have the parts list numbers and the dealer cost for the mirror. It takes about 2 hours of shop labor to install them. That's one thing plus the all weather mats and cargo liner that I'll get the dealer to throw in for the same price. He all but confirmed to me that that's included. Also, that he will trade the Bridgestone tires with a set of Michelins. Has anyone looked into the headrest mounted DVD payer dealer option? Thanks, Bmwbob27.
    Thats good to know. I just test drove the 2.5 and got about 25 MPG down the interstate. I'd probably get about the same with the 3.0. I should have re-tested the 3.0 while I was there, just to compare. Maybe tomorrow.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The 2.5 X3 will soon be no more -- I suspect the reason is that the X3 EVEN WITH A MANUAL with the 2.5 engine is not at all "peppy." The 3.0 (current model @ 225HP) is fine with the 6spd manual. This car "deserves" the 255HP 3.0, which I believe will actually have somewhat better gas mileage -- a win all the way around.

I would suspect that the new X3 3.0 w/255HP could actually be "fine" with the 6spd steptronic or the SMG (should BMW elect to put this into the X3.)

So, with no offense meant, I would do all I could to NOT get the 2.5 UNLESS it had the stick shift and even then, I would caution you to drive the car with perhaps two passengers in it and see how the addition of 300 pounds of people will really bog this 2.5 down. With the automatic the X3 2.5 is more "yak" than "shak" or all hat and no cattle or words to that effect.

The lease deals on the 3.0 have been so strong, anyway, that it hardly makes sense to go with the 2.5, because the difference in mileage is minimal.
    Thanks Mark. I'd only want the 2.5 with the manual. Of 50 remaining only one has the Premium Package and the Xenons. There's one remaining X3 3.0 with manual -- well, just one I'm interested in. But its 700 miles away, so my dealer says. He wants to charge me $1000 extra to trade with another dealer. Is this fair? I'm sure I could live with the 3.0 automatic, but really wanted the 6-speed. My local dealer has several 3.0 automatics with the equipment I prefer. I wonder if he'd give me better pricing on something he has in stock over something he'd have to trade with another dealer?
  • bargamon1bargamon1 Member Posts: 110
    Thats how it works! Best deal is in stock.

Do you know the dealer its at? You can always get it there.

Thats not fair, but neither is $1000. Offer him $500.

What is y0our leverage? Are you willing to walk away and not pay the 1G ? If not, pay it and be happy witht the deal.

Its not personal, just supply and demand. Good luck.
  • agentred29agentred29 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm looking at an 05 X3 to replace my 02 RX300. The lease deal on a msrp of 41,070 is: 39mo/12,000 miles
    nothing down except 1st and security (520 & 525)
    including all taxes, doc, etc. (DuPage county,IL)
    for 518/mo

Several people said this is a great deal. Any thoughts?

AgentRed29
    Taxes are high on leases in Illinois.. 8% on the entire purchase price? About $75/mo, in this case, I'd guess..

Given that, $518/mo. is a good deal...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• dwainwrightdwainwright Member Posts: 3
    How do you program the "Clown Nose" to flash if you don't have an alarm? I just got my wife a Certified Pre-Owned 2004 BMW X3 2.5i the other day. I was surprised to find that despite having the premium package with BMW Assist (7 months left on the free year of Assist service), that there was no alarm and no Home Link! Paid $30,995 for 2.5i with Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep with 9,250 single owner miles on it (first titled in March 2005). Also a bit dissapointed to see that side mirrors don't tilt down when you put it in reverse. Was that feature only added in 2005?
    Make sure your mirror control is in the "neutral" position (not adjusting left or right) or the mirror will not tilt down in reverse. I'm thinking it should tilt down, but I don't know for sure.
    On our 3-series, the passenger side mirror only tilts down when the control selector is to the driver's side... If the control is to the right, it doesn't tilt down.. Not sure if your X3 works this way, or not....

I think only the dealer can program your clown nose to flash.. assuming they know how to do it.. and that feature is available... Again, you can do it on a 3-series (E46).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I agree. I can't remember if there is a neutral position or not. But I do recall my passenger side mirror not tilting down and it was fixed after I moved my control switch.
    Thanks for all your answers. There is no "neutral" position for the side mirror control on my 2004 X3. Only left or right side control. And the mirrors aren't tilting down in reverse, regardless of the position of the mirror control switch.

Also, I will see if the dealer will program the clown nose and headlights to flash on lock. I bought the X3 about 100 miles from where I live, so I hope the local dealer where I will be getting service from here will still program it for free.

One other issue. I found out that the Production Date of my newly acquired 2004 X3 was 8/2004. So supposedly, according to S.I. B84 13 04 dated January 2005, Bluetooth will not work despite the fact that I have the Owner's Manual insert with a Bluetooth Passkey number printed on it. The Service Information Bulletin says E83 (X3) vehicles produced between 3/2004 and 8/2004 are equipped with a TCU that does not support Bluetooth. Has anyone had any luck getting a new or reprogrammed TCU from the dealer that will support Bluetooth?

I have found a list of all the Recalls and Service Bulletins for the 2004 X3, but I just have the titles of those items. Does anyone know of a free site that has the full text of these recalls and bulletins?
    Oops! Upon further review, with the mirror control switch set to the left, the passenger side mirror will tilt down when I put my 2004 X3 in reverse.

Also, the only place I see to get full text of all the service bulletins and recalls is at www.alldata.com/recalls and pay for a subscription for one vehicle. But it tells me "ALLDATAdiy.com does not support Honda, Acura, and BMW at the request of the manufacture." So I don't know where to get this info. Funny, I have a Honda AND a BMW!
    Our '05 was ~ $47K.

$250 down (long story.)

Sec dep and first month only (plus plates.)

36 months/15K annual.

Including tax $581.00.

Your deal would sound pretty good for 36 mo and 15K miles, but not for 12K miles and probably not for 39 months -- Ohio, like your state requires prepayment of taxes which when rolled into the lease as we did, raise the price in an unnatural fashion.

My 2 cents worth. :shades:
  • dmosier1dmosier1 Member Posts: 1
    I've noticed a few posts about the creaking and rattling some have experienced. It's getting worse with just under 4000 miles. Taking in to the dealer next week. Any tips or suggestions? Remedies?
  • sponge_worthysponge_worthy Member Posts: 27
    Of course it creaks, the X3 Ultimate Creaking Machine is made of wood... didn't anyone tell you...

This is appearently a classic BMW annoyance which appears to plague the X3 particularly. You can search just about any BMW forum and find a lot of discussion about this solutions people have tried
    The problem is the door seals rubbing against the door. What works for many people, myself included is simply applying some lubricant on the door seals. BMW sells something called "Gummiphledge" which I believe is German for "rubber care" or you can try some kind of silicone or teflon based lubricant, or even liberal application of WD40.

This is not a permanent solution, but appears to work for many.If your dealer offers you a better solution, please share for all of our benefit.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Honda Odyssey owners swear by Shinitsu grease for their sliding doors.

Steve, Host
    Have we no set answers form BMW as to what the changes are to the X3 other than the deletion of the 2.5?

No firm equipment levels noted, no confirmation about interior upgrades?

All we know is there will less black bumpers?

And certainly no company notes as to when the engine upgrade takes place.

Its september!
    My dealer in Cincinnati is The BMW Store (catchy huh?)

The owner, my wife and I have known each other forever. Unlike many dealers, this gentlemen is actually an advisor to BMW AG. He travels to Munich regularly to attend and teach other dealers around the world how to (essentially) become ISO certified. His dealership was the second or third US dealer to become so certified.

The point is, he seems (via what he says and how he acts) almost like a BMW insider rather than "merely" a BMW retailer.

His personal daily driver (although he has many personal cars) is a 2005 X3 3.0 stick shift that has "virtually every possible option" on it. He seems to "wax poetic" about two cars, his 1997 hot rod 3 series BMW and his X3.

We asked him about the "next" X3 (and X5 for that matter.)

He responded:

The X3 body style is "the newer of the two SAV's, and the X3 body style will carry on and the X5 will adopt the X3 look."

"Moreover, the X3 will get the 255HP 3.0 (the engine in the new 3 and 5 series -- as will the X5.)"

The X3's with a build date (at least I think he said BUILD not availability date) in early 2006 will offer customers a choice of two 3.0 engines (just like the BMW 3 and 5 series do), a 6speed Steptronic and a 6 speed manual (under consideration is the SMG). The bumpers will no longer be "unpainted" but will come painted in body color. I assume this means the X5's painted parts (on the current model) will be imitated on the X3.

Additional options (in due course) will be offered -- but I am unclear if i-Drive is one of them, but it does seem logical. Of course we wondered if the dashboard would be upgraded from the course grained look to the more granular, finer grained look that is in the rest of the BMW line -- again no clear answer here.

Major changes?

He claimed none until the refresh for the 2008 model year.

IMHO, the 255HP 3.0 engine and the Steptronic at 6 speeds are pretty major -- but I understand the answer, since the 255HP engine is more of a running change (as it was in the 5 series.)

Now, is this an authoritative answer? Yes, no, but. Yes, this guy is an atypical dealer, no he is NOT a BMW employee or official despite the fact that he is more of an insider than many dealers seem to be. But, what he says does track somewhat with the buzz here there and everywhere.

Clear as mud, I know.

This would appear to mean, you can order your new X3 for a January production and it will be "upgraded."
    as always, your the man!

I do hope the dash and the doors get some ugrade touches.

While i dig the rugged approach, this model does not reek of being a rock climbing-hose it down interior. The seats dictate the interor and they are fine, but seem out of place in the rugged interior.

Perhaps two levels of trim would be available. At 35k or about, its just fine and a good value. At north of 45k, it needs some touches. Sounds like most folks are pretty happy with it as it is, but thats usually par for the course.

Im looking forward to drivng the new motor! Yes, that is a big upgrade!
    Please understand while I believe I was accurate and I was quoting someone I assume to be "on top of the next," there is still a chance that my dealer is mostly right, somewhat right or right but not timely, etc.

If you can order what you want, you know it is real.

I believe the X3 is due in January. . .but that is my best guess.
    Whats this? A lawyer's waiver of liability incase your wrong?

Don't worry about it, I understood you perfectly.

You said your dealer is on the planning commitee and was 200% certain about the changes! :blush:
    Thanks for the news Mark.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I could order a new 2006 X3 now and get the current 225 HP. Or if I wait to order one in January 2006 I will have the option to order a 2006 X3 with 255 horses. Correct?

Do you know when BMW will release official photos and specs on the 2006 X3? Since they're starting production mid September I would think there would be some concrete info for consumers out there somewhere.
  • sponge_worthysponge_worthy Member Posts: 27
    I thought he said his dealer was the X3 Product Manager...

Seriously, thanks for the info Mark...I wonder if they'd consider bringing the X3 3.0d here now, with gas at its current prices, I would definietly consider a diesel.
    Had an incident last saturday while returning from Toronto which I thought I would share with folks on this board and ask for suggestions. Heard a noise like the tail pipe falling off on the highway and after some time noticed the flat tire warning on the display. Contacted BMW assist and got the wheel changed. On returning home, checked the tire and did not notice any nails but found an area of rupture in the groove between the treads. BMW service repaired it yesterday and put it on the vehicle but the flat tire warning light has come on again.
    My questions are - why did we hear a loud noise and is it okay to have a flat tire without a nail or sharp object in the tire. Should I report it to NHTSA. As for the warning light, will ask BMW service to have a look at it soon. Thank you for any suggestions.
  • burgermacburgermac Member Posts: 43
    Thought I'd add my 2 cents...

BMWUSA.COM appears to have photos of the '06 X3. They only offer a 3.0 engine, but it's the 225HP version, not the new 3.0 from the 3/5 series (255HP).

Also, the photos indicate that there has been no revision to the interior, but the exterior has much less black plastic body cladding. Instead, the cladding is now body color, probably exactly like the aftermarket body color cladding upgrade offered on prior model year cars. IMHO, it still looks aftermarket... a little bit like a prop car from "The Fast & The Furious" :-) Hey- can't fault them for trying to make it sporty/more appealing.

The current X5, I think, maintains the right balance of body color and black plastic trim. The old X3 probably had too much black plastic, the new one- too little. I am a current X3 owner ('05 3.0 model) and love it. Think it's a great car and, to be honest, the black body cladding sort of becomes invisible after awhile.
  • idagornidagorn Member Posts: 5
    Hi!
    you're quite right about considering a diesel 3.0 X3 if you can get one in North America; here in France no one would dream of buying a non diesel 4x4 gas guzzler; I've been driving a 204HP 3.0d for over a year, getting more than 30mpg and fantastic torque at low revs; the noise is perhaps just a little higher at tick over than on the gas version, but as soon as you are off it is very difficult to tell it's a diesel!
    the only problem I've had so far- '25000miles- is the creaking of door seals or window guides, but that is not specific to diesel apparently
    black bumpers do not bother me; in fact I think they look OK and they do not scratch as easily as painted ones
    hope this helps...and again if you can GO DIESEL, you won't regret it!
    . . .for 2006 will offer the 3.0 225HP engine. No 2.5 engine designated X3 for 2006 is being offered (here at least -- here being the US.)

The MY 2006 production MAY actually start in September, I thought any change that would include the engine (which is what I personally would wait for if I could) won't happen until calendar year 2006.

Full body paint, 6spd steptronic and 255 HP 3.0 engine and perhaps options and minor other changes are all that my dealer says are likely until the next big change (the X5 will, however, get the X3 look.)

I interpret all this as a bit of truth, a bit of speculation and consider the source (which means I basically believe him.) I was with an Audi product manager once in Ingolstadt who told me what was coming and when -- well, when it finally came, there were changes that obviously must have been decided upon after the manager shared them with our group (this was during January -- and the production actually began in July, so I can understand that a lot of tweaks can happen in 6 months.)

There is NO economy to be gained by keeping the 3.0 225HP engine much longer, considering the new 3.0 is both more effective and more efficient and ultimately must cost about the same (or less) to produce as the old 3.0 version.

Perhaps, at this juncture, BMW doesn't want to upstage the X5 with the 3.0 engine at 225HP with an X3 with a 3.0 255HP engine. And, it would certainly be understandable for BMW to NOT adapt the 255HP engine to the X5 since that body style is in its final chapter.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    "....but found an area of rupture in the groove between the treads."

This is probably caused by an irregularly shaped object - a piece of steel perhaps.

"....BMW service repaired it yesterday..."

Hopefully the "rupture" wasn't larger than 1/4" long. Anything larger than that should have resulted in replacing the tire. Also, they should have used a combination plug/patch to do the repair. If they only patched it, then the steel belts will corrode over time, eventually causing the steel belt to come off - very bad.

"My questions are - why did we hear a loud noise...."

What you heard was the air coming out rapidly.

"....and is it okay to have a flat tire without a nail or sharp object in the tire.""

I think you mean a flat caused by some object other than a nail, etc. Obviously there are a variety of objects that could puncture a tire.

"Should I report it to NHTSA."

Only if you feel that a puncture caused by an irregularly shaped object might be important for the agency to know about.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for your response. At least I can rest assured that I am an unlucky sod and that the SAV and tires are OK. Well, I realized that the warning light was for real the second time and had to call BMW assist to change the rear wheel on the passenger side today. But this time there was a nail in the tire and did not hear a loud noise. I don't know whom to blame now - my luck or the Pirelli tires - flat tires twice in one week and not even off roading."
    The BMW website appears to have been updated, reflecting the new 2006 X3. The interior shots show the 3-spoked steering wheel. Wonder if this is standard equipment? If so, I'd love it. The Sport Package still lists the 3-spoke steering wheel, but lists it as an M version.

Not sure if I like the painted bumpers. Might be something I need to get used to.
    In reading the website it appears the X3 does not offer homelink or a security system?

Seems odd!

Does anyone know differently?

OK, I can dig out the garage door opener. I can live without starting my hot tub from the car, but security system?
    It does. But it costs money. Homelink is $425, for instance. Seems like the nickle and dime patrol doesn't it?

We quit at just under $47K with a lot of (but far from all) options. And, we don't even have metallic paint!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I haven't checked in here for awhile, but when did kyfdx become a HOST?! :confuse: :surprise:

Is this the same kyfdx that used to be just a regular member? So anyone can become a Host? Might be a good idea to become one. That way you can post all sorts of nasty stuff and not get deleted! :P
    the 2006 X3 is (at least currently) still available with the 2.5 motor. No change in hp for the 3.0. Black bumpers remain for the 2.5, but full body-color bumpers for the 3.0 as standard equipment. The Sport Package will also get you some additional lower-body cladding. Not sure I like the look. Looks aftermarket, as someone had said. IMO, the current X5 still does it better.

Other than that, it appears they re-config'd the option packages, resulting a a few grand higher price if you tick off the same packages. :mad:

Overall, kinda disappointing. :cry: With the X5 about to be changed, it appears the looker in the BMW line-up is now the new 3-series.
    I would agree, the LOOKER in this line up IS the X3; and, when you see the new X5, which looks perhaps like a 115% version of the X3, I would think you'll really appreciate what has been done to the porky old X5.

The only thing that made the X3 look like an ugly duckling, to me, was its lack of body color bumpers.

We bought the Jet Black Gloss (standard paint) with the sport package, and the Terracotta Montana leather. The contrast between the paint and bumper is minimal and with the striking leather sport seats, this little ugly duckling is almost transformed into that beautiful black swan.

With standard full body paint now on the X3 3.0 (and with the mandatory Premium, Sport and other vital upgrades), the X3 can now almost join the "class crowd."

The performance with the promised 255HP 3.0 and 6spd steptronic, should be a sight to behold.
    Sounds like a good idea...

But.. since I've become a host, I've been deleted twice, and one forum I was posting in was shut down completely!!

So, even I'm not immune... ;)

The biggest difference? When I get the e-mail about having my post deleted, the sender now makes fun of me.... I didn't get that when I was just a member.. :surprise:

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    /snicker on

/snicker off
    I actually think they went a little too far with the body-colour bumpers. A little bit of black plastic would be good.
  • rgottheimrgottheim Member Posts: 7
    Can anyone give me some advice on what octane level I should use on my new 2005 X3 3.0? Should I fill the tank with the middle grade (91 octane) or is regular 87 octane OK? Whats the pros and the cons to using the different grades. I've heard it doesn't really make a difference on which grade you use.

Thanks.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    All BMWs to my knowledge require premium. That's what the manufacturer says and that's their story and they're sticking to it. :) There is a lot of chatter and opinions about mid-grade and 87 octane, the difference in the money, gas mileage and performance. BMW engines have knock-sensors that retard the timing (resulting in less power and some engine protection) should ping be detected.

Hope this helps. YMMV.
  • rgottheimrgottheim Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just have to see. I'm going to try mid grade to start out with. But I always was of the belief that most cars don't need premium fuel and that regular gas is fine.