Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    We have it in our 2005 X3 -- it is very easy to use.

What specifically do you want to know?

:shades:

1. moving map
    2. color screen
    3. voice prompts
    4. arrows and pointers if you want to switch the map off
    5. detinations (restaurants, hospitals, gas stations, etc) aplenty in the the data base
    6. large memory
    7. cross hairs mode for "finding approximate" destinations when you only know "about where something is," but not its street name, etc.
    8. cannot be activiated via voice, however, must key in city, state, street, intersection, etc. . . all the usual stuff.

9. voice prompts work with Radio/CD and telephone even if telephone is used via bluetooth or vial built in adapter.
    10. screen mode can be full or split.

Ask away, brother (or sister), if I can help I will.
  • mike141mike141 Member Posts: 8
    I guess my major concern is how is it to program the destination you want to go to. Secondly, is it easy to drive and glance at the screen? Lastly is the size of the screen large enough where the object do not seem cluttered?

Thank you for all your help!!!

PS I am a brother :P
    To select a destination you do the following:

Input City.

To do this you rotate the right hand "radio knob" through letters of the alphabet that are displayed horizontally on the color Nav Screen in the center of the dash. "C" then push the knob in and then rotate to "I" and push the knob in, at some point the system recognizes Cincin and Cincinnati and all the possible locations in the US that begin with Cincin. . .show up.

Rotate the radio knob until you see Cincinnati, OH and press the knob in.

Input street.

Same routine, "M" "A" "I" until yo see "Main" street.

Then you can either put in "house number" or intersection.

If you know your desitnation is near Main + Central, select intersection and the screen will, in alpha order display all the intersections to Main.

When you reach "Central" press the knob in.

Then "Start Route Guidance" -- and determine if you want to see the full map, half map or arrows only.

Voice prompts accompany every mode.

"In 600 feet, turn left. . ."

"You are no longer on a digitzed road."

"You have reached your destination."

"Turn right in one quarter of a mile."

And so on.

The system could only be easier if you could recite the destination one letter at a time and then pick from a list.

My Audi permits picking from a previously NAME tagged list by voice command. Not quite fully automatic.

The BMW system is great -- not perfect, but great.

Does this help? :confuse:
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    With 2006 (or 2005-2) map discs, ZIP code can be also used in place of the city name, which often cuts down on typing in city names.
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    I am looking for a rubber "trunk" (cargo area) mat with a short lip to keep spilled things on the mat.I don't want or need to cover the whole cargo area, with seats folded down, just the rear half. There doesn't seem to be a mat specific for the X3 that I have been able to find. Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you resolve it? Color is not important, and a "universal" mat would be fine as long as it fits. I am surprised WeatherTech or Husky has overlooked the X3 trunk, Thank you..
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    BMW offers exactly what you are looking for. It's called an "All Weather Cargo Liner" and it is available in three colors:
    Black- 82 11 0 305 078
    Beige- 82 11 0 305 079
    Gray- 82 11 0 305 080
    MSRP is $65.00, so with a CCA discount you should be able to find it for under $55.00
    BMW also offers a "Luggage Compartment Tray" which is made of shatter-proof and acid-proof plastic. It is considerably larger than the mat and it protects @8" of the sides of the compartment. The part number is
    51 47 0 306 043 and MSRP is $265.00- or around $215.00 with your CCA card.
  • xxmanutdxxxxmanutdxx Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my X3 yesterday at the dealership. When I drove it home, I realized that after I signaled and made my left/right turn the signal would not shut off automatically, I didn't pay much attention to this until today. Is this a malfunction in the car? or is this how the car is? and is there a way I can fix it?
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the info on the rubber trunk mat! I will check it out when I go back to the dealer to find out why my new X3 rides like a truck! On smooth pavement it is sweet as can be but get on any kind of washboard, expansion joint, potholed surface and it will jar your fillings out. I have to believe that there is something not hooked up (like shocks!) under there. The units I test drove were not this harsh. I do not have the sport pkg, tho' it does have the 18" factory tire option. I hope that time will allow the suspension to loosen up a bit so I won't have to issue kidney belts to my pax! Did I mention that it really is a sweet driver!
  • juanchyprjuanchypr Member Posts: 17
    Hi all,

My X3 is in schedule on 2 weeks for inspection 1, 27K miles.

I printout from BMW OC's the suggested checklist inspection I maintenance schedule, that explain to us "know exactly what to expect when your BMW is serviced".

On the list I highlighted a few items and add a few mores.

If someone already went to bring your X3 on inspection I and want to share their experiences is welcomed.

Thanks,
    :) X3_3.0 2004, Alpine White, Gray Montana, Steptronic ;)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Have the dealer check to make sure that any and all shipping spacers have been removed from the suspension. That could easily be the problem- and it should have been caught by a good PDI.
    I am 99% certain your car is fine.

Does the indicator have the indents (you can feel them) or is this completely a sensor based version (like the other BMW's are at this point?)

The switch may have the lane change feature which should allow you to hold the switch down for 1/2 second and release and the signal will continue for 3 or 4 more "blinks." Holding the stalk down for longer will activate the turn feature which does require the wheel to be articulated some number of degrees.

At first you think it is you, then you learn to use the deft touch.

On the other hand, stuff happens, things do break or are born broken.

It seems improbable, but not impossible that this is what happened to you.
  • vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    It is difficult for me to read all of the badgering of the X3. Whether on this board or others...I must vent.

If the ride is too stiff for you, get something else.
    If the trunk is too small, get something else.
    If the 0-60 is too slow, get something else.
    If the MPG is too low, get something else.
    If the price is too high, get something else.
    If the interior is not for you, get something else.

If your looking for a vehicle that offers excellent winter traction, let's in lots of sun in the summer, provides an elevated stance on the road, gives some extra storage and utility and does it all with an almost 3-series like drive, then buy/lease the X3.

I have an '04 X3 3.0, White w/Terr. In 26 months, only two or three trips to the dealer so far.

Ok, I'm done now.
  • cargobeepbeepcargobeepbeep Member Posts: 4
    I am curious to know how many mpg people are getting in mixed and city driving on a tankful of gas in their 2006 X3s? Thanks.
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    I can tell you that I get 20 miles to a U.S. gallon in mixed driving in a 2004 X3. Someone wrote awhile back that mileage mysteriously increase by about 20% after 15,000 miles. I found this to be amazingly true.

Hope this helps - what are you getting?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Did you notice he didn't include overall value, comfort, ride quality, passenger and cargo capacity, reliabily, cost of repairs amongst the attributes??????????????

bodble2, are you still there. I got kind of busy and haven't had a chance to reply...sorry. I agree that a Tuscon gets better mileage, a Jeep or Rover is better for off roading, a Lexus will be more reliable, etc. And, you are correct best is relative. I should probably say IMHO, I believe the X-3 has the best combination of engineering, looks, handling, most comfortable seating, and best overall thought out design (not too large, lots of cargo room,easy to reach controls. And every report I have read has been positive saying it is the closest to a car of any of the other SUV's. That is only my opinion, and I would be curious to know what you think is better?
    Of course, someone else will say a Lexus is best, and that will be their opinion.

By the way, ride quality is very relative. I like to feel the road, so I don't mind the bumps...feels better than that spongy ride where you lean all over on the corners.

• cargobeepbeepcargobeepbeep Member Posts: 4
    Thanks driver100. Do you have the 3.0 or the 2.5? I am trying to decide between the alpine white/black or the jet black/black. I also haven't decided whether I want the leather or the leatherette.
    I have a 2.5 which I guess is not available now (I don't think the 3 would use much more gas). Mine is alpine white/black and it has the black bumpers and I really like it that way. The black looks great too and I really like the silver, light blue, and grey colors too. I have leatherette, but if I was to do it over I would go all out and get the best and most that you can afford and want....or one day you will wish that you did. You will probably keep it 4 or 5 years and what's an extra $1000 a year to get what you really want..plus you will get some back at trade in time. You might even keep it longer if it has everything on it. I think the gas mileage is good for this size of vehicle...and I can't imagine a car that could possibly be more pleasurable and more fun to own and drive.

• pgeterspgeters Member Posts: 12
    Preach it, vsroman! Regarding the negativism on the forums, I have noticed that whatever vehicle is the focus of discussion at any given moment will undoubtedly get slammed by some folks, even those vehicles you never dreamed would get slammed. Lots of emotion going on here and not a whole lot of logic.

Speaking of emotions, no one can make me not love my X3. I have had mine for a couple of months and just keep lovin it more and more.
    Month 13, the Gloss Black with Terracotta interior 2005 BMW X3 (with nearly every option box checked) has now, just today, passed 20,000 miles. Been to the dealer for one oil change and twice (separate visits) for new windshield wiper blades.

Probably by late this year, we'll put a new set of tires on the 18" sport wheels that came with the car.

Love the car so much, we've signed up for the BMW 2 Day X-School in South Carolina this September (two days in brand new X3's and X5's for $995 for 2 drivers!)

Love the car so much, my wife is planning the color of the next one she will order in about 20 months (on a 36 month lease.)

Love the car so much we answer the follow up calls from Bend Or, rating the car and the dealer a "6" on a scale of 1 - 5!

This is a cross between a BMW 3 (with sport suspension and a stick shift -- and, BTW, getting one of these things with the 6 speed manual transforms the car from being on the cusp of underpowered -- and thirsty -- to substantially more powerful and less thirsty) and one of the newest Jeeps. The emphasis, however, is on the ON-ROAD capabilities. From where I sit (being the former owner of an Audi allroad), this car, the X3, is much more like the allroad than the Jeep.

This means if you buy the X3 expecting an SUV you were lied to -- my dealer takes great pains in correcting anyone who uses that TLA, always citing the term to use as SAV.

This is a well balanced car -- that somehow had a Jeep in the family some time ago thereby diluting the pure car DNA somewhat.

With the sport package the ride is firm.

Flawless* would be the closest ONE WORD descriptive word I can come up with were I forced to come up with one word.

But it is NOT literally without some [minor] flaws.

The main flaw -- exterior -- was taken care of in 2006 and that is the look of the unpainted bumpers (we ordered black on black so to speak which mostly negated this 2005 "flaw.") The main flaw -- interior -- will, apparently, be taken care of with the next MY refresh and that is the "rugged" interior when the rest of the car if so equipped with every option box (except auto trans) checked seems to suggest "near luxury performance sedan."

The power train flaw was only a flaw for those folks who got this car with the 5 speed steptronic (which I call stutter-tronic in this application) which seems to hunt for the right gear to be in unless used completely as a manu-matic (which I gather most folks don't). Yet, the transmission was poorly matched to the 225HP engine (3.0) in MY's 2004 - 2006. The UR (unsubstantiated rumor) has it that the 255HP engine and 6 speed steptronic will finally make their way to this car for MY 2007.

Then, we can remove the "*" from "FLAWLESS" for the most part anyway.

Quitcha complainin' -- for some folks this is the Swiss army knife of cars, no one made you buy one without a multi hour test drive, no one made you buy one with an autotrans, no one made you buy this with the crappy base sound system, and so on.

Critques of cars here? Yes, bring 'em on. Beating up on them tirelessly? Please move on.

Yet, even with that said, it is mostly a free blog, so "drive it like YOU live!" :shades:
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Hey,

Coming down the final few months of my allroad lease and the manual tranny desire is driving my choice.

Bought a SUbaru Outback 5speed manual 4cyl used 2002 for my son to drive, but he don't get it until next spring.

So rather than bone up an Audi without it, nor move down to a A4 with not enough back seat, Im gonna wait and see the changes occur and how pricing falls out.

The flaws are all being addressed for me. Mainly the spartan interior. After sitting in an X5 and then the X3 its a bit much. X5 is a great interior!

Im gonna sign up my son for the teen driving school in South Carolina. $700 for two days to learn defensive driving is well worth the cost! X school sounds like fun also, but I'll wait until Im a card carrying member.

Sorry the Audi Q5 is not coming out soon enough, but as we have discussed before this is the natural successor to the allroad with manual tranny.
    An automatic, but I was very impressed with the motor. What ever horspower they say it is it feels much stronger.

Seating was nice and all around very nice ride! Standard set up with 17's.

One fault, it made my head bounce around. You can feel ever dip on every surface. Lateral was just fine, but horizontal movements were a bit extreme.

I drove a 5 series BMW, 525 also with basic set up and fell in love. Apples and oranges. Do I really need awd in piedmont north carolina?

Both x3 and 5 made my 3 year old Allroad feel like a box of lose bolts. New car syndrome.

I will still wait until the new X3 comes out and see if any improvements are made. Perhaps this is just its charactor and it literally sticks to the road. This x3 just seemed to suck to the highway but at the same time "tippy". I have 2 ruptured discs in my neck and am a bit sensitive to such movements. My wifes 2000 ML320 did a similar thing, but the BMW was more pronounced because of its positive handling charactoristics.

I saw somthing I found interesting. The rough interior is nice, but inconsistant. The carpet was plush and in the beige as the seats. Why not black or grey? Didn't first generation x3 have it that way? And it was all so plush. The seats also seem too dressy for that dash. They were very comfortable. I might say I liked the Black bumpers better. The mono makes the front and back profiles seem too tall looking.

Perhaps the X3 in its current form is just not for me than its not a great vehicle. Except for the "bobble head" effect on this body, I very much was impressed.

Can't say for shore its off my list, but damm that 525 was sweet! 530 with standard transmission might be even more so!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I haven't been following this thread much either -- since I already know markcinci loves his X3 ;)

What do I think is better overall? What's better, or best will always be inherently subjective. So, I dunno, Cayenne? Touareg V8? Perhaps the upcoming RDX? But without even having to leave the BMW showroom, how about the 530xi? Yeah, I know. It's not officially an SUV, or SAV, but really, aside from a bit of extra ground clearance, is the X3's purpose in life that much different? I think the 530xi can do just about anything the X3 can do, only better. Plus, as an added bonus, it is the only vehicle in the entire BMW lineup that has a power tailgate. Now, that's cool! :shades:
  • pgeterspgeters Member Posts: 12
    I had a friend get a 530xi as a loaner and he liked it so much that he priced it out. It was ~$60K. For that much it better be able to do whatever the X3 can do and do it a whole lot better! Maybe that is why, at least around here, you never see them on the road.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "I think the 530xi can do just about anything the X3 can do, only better."

The X3 has more cargo room heigh-wise. That makes a big difference in the type of cargo that can be carried. The extra ground clearance of the X3 makes a huge difference in heavy snow. The fold down seats of the X3 plus the extra height will allow you to carry cargo and animals in a way the 5 series will never approach.

Touareg? It's junk, IMO.
    530 is nice, but not as much cargo room, as pointed out here. I sat in one while having my first oil change in the X3 and maybe I am spoiled by the X3, but I find other vehicles, and especially BMW's do not have great vision lines. You are down a bit, looking over the hood and dash.
    In the X3 you are pretty high up with huge windows and great sight lines. I find it difficult to get used to driving a regular car after the X3!

The interior IS a mixture of the rough (dashboard) and refined (seats -- w/Montana leather option, i.e.)

The X3 is a bit of an enigma too.

It supposedly represents the "look" (style) of the upcoming X5, it has been criticized for being rough looking from the inside and it is also by many accounts in desperate need of the 255HP 3.0 and 6spd step.

Yet many -- at the dealership -- say (and then put their money where there mouth is) the X3 is "their pick for the best all around BMW currently."

One of the client advisors has given his new X3 the "M" treatment (cosmetically.) He hopes there will be an "M" option soon (perhaps the turbo charged 3.0 and a 7 speed SMG, too.)

The owner (of the BMW dealership) has a daily driver: you guessed it, an X3. The finance manager, ditto.

Perhaps the steady undercurrent of complaints (here and elsewhere) about the X3 does motivate me to defend this car (which is my wife's, BTW) moreso than I would otherwise.

Were money no object the 5 series with X drive certainly ups the luxury quotient considerably -- but factor in at least an additional $10,000 for this improvement.

Besides, the X3 rides a bit higher and does feel solid and stable -- but the price paid IS ride quality.

My wife, after three Audi TT's in a row perceives the X3's ride quality as a huge improvement.

If you've been used to a 5 series, a Lexus or even a Cadillac, the X3 will seem stiff, firm and maybe even "harsh."

If you can believe anything we can come up with here on the WWW -- and if you can wait a few months -- see what the 2007 version has in store.

My bet is that many of the roughness of look and stiffness of ride issues will be dealt with. Further, the 255HP engine with both better power and better efficiency is a virtual certainty as is the 6spd steptronic.

This go round, I would not expect the 7 spd smg transmission, though.

The X3, so it seems, has been the ugly duckling -- the swan is due, soon. :shades:
    The ride in the X3 is a little harsh, not for everyone. But, that is something I like about it. It isn't that floaty unreal ride that is boring and makes you lose the feel of the road. It is the feel of the road that makes it a BMW and not a Cadillac. For sheer comfort buy a Buick...it will be like sitting in your favorite couch.

(however, I don't know if it is the best car for someone with back problems - might want a softer ride in that case)

I might say I liked the Black bumpers better. The mono makes the front and back profiles seem too tall looking.

I am in full agreement there. I have a 2004 in white and as I said earlier, I wouldn't want the monochrome paint if it was offered free. Makes the car look like a huge white cloud.

I am planning to wait to see how this next go around is with the 07',

I would not say the ride was harsh, but almost "tippy".

I will not spend 60k! For the money I thought the X3 was a hell of a ride! I would not even say it needed more power! The tourque seems ok to me.

Maybe What I really want is just a car after all. THe X3 certainly might have a place in my garage once we are done.

Again, I really liked it. I would love to see a future stable of a 330i coupe and an X3 in my garage!
  • vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    Does anyone have any info on what changes will be on the X3 in '07? Is there talk of any body style changes?

When will BMW officially announce any of those changes?
    I was referring to the 530xi Touring (wagon). I guess I wasn't clear in my previous post. The height of the cargo area probably is lower than in the X3, but in all other dimensions, I thought it was huge. Plus, as I said, it had that nifty, cool power tailgate!
    The dealer claims that BMW is on a multi-year refresh. I think a new body style will be due in either 2008 or 2009 (calendar.) If you look back over the way BMW has done things it is usually, what, a minimum of 5 calendar years before a major refresh.

Mid course corrections are to be expected. The X3 is "the look" they are looking for.

The current 225HP 3.0 is a thirstier and dirtier engine than the newest 255HP 3.0 in the 3 and 5 series saloons.

The only reason I can imagine that the X3 was saddled with the 225HP engine this year was to not "outgun" the X5.

The new X5 will free up BMW to have more latitude with the X3.

The X3 should expect a brand new dashboard and switchgear, the newest gen 3.0, the 6 speed steptronic and probably some suspension recalibration and perhaps even some more soundproofing.

I would assume the X3 will offer idrive -- but that it would NOT be standard equip.

Price? Up a smidge.

Content, fit and finish -- up several smidges.

Power and refinement up a decent amount and refinement up a smidge (since it, even now, is a BMW after all.)

Option packages -- hopefully more stuff, hopefully voice command, pushbutton start, backup camera and homelink part of the "premium pack" or technology package or something like that.

Much of this is spy site stuff coupled with dealer info from a dealer who is on the BMW "advisory" board (whatever pull or inside info that implies.)

Audi, BMW and Mercedes need to be aware that their 255HP engines are "adequate" and be aware that both the Americans and the Japanese are putting out some higher urge cars.

BMW, if it wishes to keep the i6 3.0 (and I think it should), needs to develop a mild tune turbo, the mid tuned turbo (they have that) and the wild version.

The 3.0 with just a little extra deep breathing is putting out 303 HP and at least 20% - 30% more torque. 50% torque improvements are "easy" these days with the right turbo application.

Otherwise BMW will be unable to keep up with the ever escalating HP war. . .

A diesel option would seem to be logical too.

Based on the drives with the 255HP 3.0, I would think it would breathe new life into the X3. And maybe for another year that would suffice if the refinement issue can be overcome.

I know you know I think our $47K X3 was a bargain (@$581/mo 36/mo lease @ 45K) -- but $47K is serious money for a car with this kind of interior and power when you see what both the Americans and Japanese have to offer at less than this price.

I think the new X3 will be a big step in the right direction is the sum and substance. :shades:
    Thanks for the update mark. As always your on the pulse of things.

I was suprised BMW did a turbo thing. I lease turbos, not buy them. THey are scarey replacemtns if off warranty.

The HP wars need to stop! We need more MPG. When is enough enough?

The inline 6's are wonderful engines and seem to perform despite lower numbers than the competition.

I don't understand paying $1000 for the comfort key?

and besides the James Bond coolness, the rear camera is over rated as I think NAV is for many folks. Just my opinion folks, but if BMW gotta keep up, then they need to do what they need to do!

THe dash needs some tweaking. Overall shape is good, but center stack needs a redue. I like the clean look.

YEs, if they can just tweek the suspension just a tad to keep it from getting "giggy" that would be great. Not floaty or numb mind you. It can be done.

I would say the sport suspension won't be to my taste. I dig sharp handling, but there is so much of a price I will pay.

I like the size of the vehicle and the size is just fine.

Does 18' wheels change this "tippy" charactor? No manual trannys, sport, or 18'wheels were available to test drive.

I look forward to seeing these changes!
    I don't feel the tippy sensation you describe -- unless that would be your description of any vehicle with a higher center of gravity.

The nav is a must, can't, don't, won't leave home without it. Front and rear parktronic is fine for us, but the camera is "the thing" these days, go with the flow.

My Audi's keyless start was $750. I wonder why, too.

I like the keyless start, but the price seems about $500 too high if it HAS to be an option.

No sticks? Pity. This thing is a blast with a stick and "challenged" with the 5speed stutter tronic.

The 255HP 3.0 and the 6speed non-stutter-tronic would seem to be the ticket.
    Dealer here in North Carolina says demand for manual is very very small. Especially in X's and 5's.

My Sienna mini van does not have this sensation, nor did my old ML have it nearly as pronounced. It was not a side to side "tip" but seemed to be small movements up and down. Someone on a forum bought this up and it was suggested to have dealer look at the springs that they might not have been released after shipping. IT did not feel that severe!

Perhaps I need to drive another one, and maybe a used one as well.
  • carreragt3carreragt3 Member Posts: 9
    After having read the bulk of these messages & having just ordered my X3 w/ Sapph. blk./beige, Prem. & Sport Pkgs. and Step 5-auto, I wanted to chime in.

I want to make clear the context from where I am coming. My target $400-$600/mo. payment encompassed a multiplicity of vehicles and lots of test drives. Fortunately, our current personal fleet gave me an excellent baseline for constant referral and comparison.

Our pool consists of: Porsche GT3, Benz G500, allroad 2.7, allroad 4.2 (new), S4 5-sp Tip (new), VW Touareg 4.2 (new), Chrys. Town and Country MV (new) [we've also had a selection of Benz MLs] -- clearly, a rather vast range of speed, braking, steering, ride quality, int./ext. appointments, curb weights, etc.

Bottom line: I bought the X3 because Porsche has priced the Cayenne out of my desired $$ range. Verdict: The X3 Sport is the next best thing as far as all-arounder, quasi-SUVs go.

The braking and steering turn-in decimate the Audis' (including the S4's). Power is about as good as either ML's or the allroad's (perhaps the allroad 4.2 is a wee bit faster, but not torquier) and feels faster than the Touareg 4.2. The G500, however, feels fast as hell although 0-60 times don't indicate that it is all that much faster than the X3 and by the 1/4 they are both going about the same speed. Braking feel is only bettered by my GT3 and distances and g-forces seemed absurdly close.

Ride quality is about like the Porsche's (very constrained, but never uncomfortable), and I can't stand how tippy the allroads are. The audi's air suspension never feels as sorted as the X3's, especially over speed bumps and seams--the allroads are too harsh going strait, but too leany during hard cornering. They feel like a car with mono-directional gas shocks. I think the word for the X3 is "controlled." Like the Cayennes, the X3 gives the impression that you are doing and can do things that SUVs should not be able to do. I guess s look at the skidpad #s revelas this.

The exterior with the bodycolor-matched Aerokit I, Shadowline, privacy and 18" M'sport wheels pimps as much as anything this side of $60k. Interior materials are fine (but not even close to the Audis'--about like a non-leather Cayenne's). That said, the Montana leather is top notch. Sport seats come close to the stupid-amazing Recaros in the S4. Carpets are as nice as one would expect. Sport M-steering wheel is perfect. Dash top material is unusual, but not "cheap" at all--just different. Dash bottom material is a bit of a concern. Doorpanels are fine, but I wish the X5's had not been sitting 5 ft. away as they make the X3's look a bit lacking.

We drove our new maxed-out S4 to our final test drive of the X3 and the X5 in order to objectify the BMWs as best we could. We had to place our order that day in order to get a production spot on the line.

Here's the 411 from that session. The X5, albeit much more posh than the X3, drives and feels very much like the Touareg (just for the record, the Touareg's interior squashes any of the BMW's). That is, tanky and heavy with big, huge, long hoods that one can't see beyond. Never try parallel parking the X5 or the BMW after driving your 911:)

The X3 reminds you of the S4. You feel "on top of" the car. It seems completely manageable under extremely hard driving. The X3 also reminds you of the 911...it brakes and turns in instantly--credit the 65/35 X-Drive power split and engine placement with not creating pushy oversteer as with the Audis.

But through it all the main sensation that the X3 gives is much like that of the new 330Xi--new, new, new. It makes everything I test drove from the A3 to the Cayenne to the new Range Rover Sport feel like old engineering. I know they are not. Yet, the X3 renders itself like a car that has been developed for a 2010 release with then implemented technology.

I just wish the beige bottom part of the dash didn't look like the door panel of our Chrysler T & C!!

Chiming over.

Swing for the Fence,

Carrera GT3
    Glad you like the X3 as much as you do from your early impressions. If you are like me, you will appreciate it even more...the more you drive it.
    Some of the blandness of the interior actually grows on you over time, the interior is comfortable and well planned, a little spartan, but it is very functional and businesslike. The steering, feel of the road, seating position, comfort, big windows and overall value are hard to beat.
    Hope you report back on what you find.

Thanks for the pictures. You have to look pretty hard to see the difference. :confuse:

Old news, but nice updated pictures. Anyone notice the bumper difference? Im not an owner so Im not that intimate with the changes.

I hope they keep some of the textured surfaces on the X3. It makes it unique. I would imagine iDrive is coming and a center video screen will change the center stack. I think to compete in this crowded market the center stack controls need to be a bit upscale.

New engine choice, maybe take the wiggles out of the suspension, and update the interior will make this vehicle a catagory killer at the high end.
    Stumbled upon these. For the first time you can see the smooth bumper treatment.

link title

and the back:

link title
    These pictures are even better. The monochrome paint done the right way and with most colors does look good (I still like the black bumpers on my white X3 - I think the contrast works better with white, and then the black gets carried to the window area too).
    The layout of the current dash is a masterpiece in simplicity and ease of use. I would like to see some contrasting colors and smoothen out that pebble affect.
    Then, it will be the perfect car :) !

The less busy bumper works a bit better. The back looks nice too! Lets face it, its never going to win a beauty contest. The FX infinity to me really is awful to look at. Just my opinion, but I give them credit to make the attempt. The lexus RX is also pretty bad looking.

The Mercedes ML is a nice design. The X3 to me is very simple, clean and has a quality look to it.

I like the pebble interior.

I would think a double hump dash is coming with built in iDrive screen, higher quality center stack materials and beefier looking console.

Could the Anti-roll suspension be an option? And auto steer? I'd like to see the suspension tweaked just a bit.

This vehicle is 95% great but the updates will keep it at the head of the pack.
    The FX infinity to me really is awful to look at. Just my opinion, but I give them credit to make the attempt. The lexus RX is also pretty bad looking.

The Mercedes ML is a nice design.

I don't like any of these and I have driven the Mercedes M Class and found it really not up to Mercedes standards.
    FX Infinity and Muranno are examples of bad design and bad taste. Lexus tries hard but misses out with lights and clumsiness that just don't work.
    Taste is subjective, but IMO the X3 has the nicest and most creative design without going over the top. 2nd choice to me would be a Cayenne and then in the affordable category....(in looks only) is the XTerra but I know not too many would agree with that.

Xterra?! :surprise:

Staying within the Nissan stable, I would pick the Pathfinder ahead of the Xterra. The Murano and FX are cartoon caricatures.
    Took my Mother to shop for crossovers and.....

Subaru tribeca is a nice value for the money and offering great deals. But ride is bumpy.

Infiniti FX is way to tight and you can feel every jiggle. Nice interior and pickup.

X3 very refined. Just not her taste.

Caddy SVX or whatever they call it. Drove the best of the bunch, but just can't spend 50k on it.

Conclusion: She will look at cars. These things don't drive as comfortable as a car. She is 69. After we got back in My allroad it felt so much smoother than those thing. What she really wants is the ride of my Sienna Limited but not as big. she will look at the Avalon and Highlander. Lexus ES350 is on the list but she wants to keep the price down.
    With all due respect, I don't think your 69-year-old mom, or any other 69-year-old woman for that matter, should be driving an SUV. What would she need one for? :confuse:
    Get her into a nice, smooth, and safe Passat 4Motion, or a MB E-class 4Matic ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    69 isn't all that old anymore. I ride the lift with women in their 70's all the time at my local ski hill. And they are driving up to the resort in their 4WD SUVs.

Steve, Host
    Xterra?!

Staying within the Nissan stable, I would pick the Pathfinder ahead of the Xterra. The Murano and FX are cartoon caricatures.

I know the Xterra is questionable, but IMO the Pathfinder is too large for the times. That is just taste (and I am judging style, not content). But I agree Murano and FX look like VW Beatles on steroids ( cartoon characters describes it well) and are ugggggggly!

She is 69. After we got back in My allroad it felt so much smoother than those thing. What she really wants is the ride of my Sienna Limited but not as big. she will look at the Avalon and Highlander. Lexus ES350 is on the list but she wants to keep the price down.

Women seem to like the idea of being up higher and the perceived safety of a larger vehicle...but they don't want bulkiness, harsh ride, or almost truck like qualities. Honda CRV (new model out soon), Highlander, Lexus, Volvo Crosscountry (though I had bad luck with my last Volvo), Kia Sportage, Toyota RAV 4, Suburu Forester (good choice, 4 wheel drive and 5 star rating) might suit her. There are probably more........