Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,975
    Just some random thoughts. I always admired Toyotas and Hondas for their reliability, OK styling, and general favorable impression left by owners.
    My wifes Mercedes C Class was rear ended at a stop light and now we have a 2006 Honda Civic loaner for a few days...with about 100 miles on it.
    My positive impressions are;
    Fair amount of get up and go,
    Solid feeling,
    Design is clean and not offensive,
    My negative impressions are;
    Direct steering, you turn the wheel 2 inches to turn a corner,
    No hood, feels like driving a bus or a van. Windshield is so far forward and so sloped, you are detached from the road ahead,
    Seating position is never great - steering wheel isn't right.
    The big digital speedometer is right at the top of the dash and the numbers constantly changing is very distracting. I find that as I come to a stop the numbers are still falling - and I watch it to see if it gets to zero,
    The dash is on two tiers and it looks a little bit like you are seeing double,
    Rear vision is poor with big head rests and lots of metal in the rear quarters,
    No feel of the road and not much fun to drive.
    This is a car I have always admired mostly from reading reviews, surveys and owners comments. I think I would be disappointed in a RAV4 or Acura RD-X.
    Now if I just needed basic transportation or was on a budget I would consider these cars, but I have been spoiled with my X3. :)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I've been looking for a work beater for a while now and I'll probably wind up with an E36 or E46 when all is said and done. That said, I really like the design of the new GTI. Too bad it's only available in FWD.
    I'll probably wind up with an E36 or E46
    Nothing wrong with those, or the GTI. The GTI should be sensational and the E36 or 46 are nicer than most new cars out there today....I actually prefer the 36 to almost any new car. I prefer the simple squared off styling and the big windows to the current models. Oh well, that's progress..... :cry:

• invaliduserinvaliduser Member Posts: 9
    If anyone is looking for an 05 X3 3.0 with manual I spoke to a nice guy and his wife yesterday who had a for sale sign on their X3. They are only asking 28k for it and said they might even take 27k for it with only 15,800 miles! I just wish my wife could drive a stick and I'd buy it in a second. Oh well. My hunt for an immacualate 1 or 2 year old X3 continues.
    IU
    If anyone is looking for an 05 X3 3.0 with manual

That sounds tempting.....if I was in the market. My 2004 2.5 is automatic and has just over 20,000 miles on it. I am only doing about 10,000 miles a year so it might last 10 years. :D
    By the way, I sometimes wish I had a manual, but usually I prefer the automatic, easier to talk on the cell and juggle the coffee while looking for another radio station.

IMHO that X3 is worth every penny! :)

• bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Im being practical...........

I would have to agree with you, but lets take it a step futher......

Cayanne turbo S and a M5 might do the trick!
  • jupiter415jupiter415 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my black sapphire X3 with premium pack, heated seats, PDC, HID, Serv steering, and privacy glass yesterday. I drove for about 70 miles and the darn "service engine soon" light comes on! Has anyone else in this forum experience this within the first day or the week of ownership? Any insights on the seriousness of this problem?

Thanks a bunch.

Jupiter415 :sick:
    Has anyone else in this forum experience this within the first day or the week of ownership? Any insights on the seriousness of this problem?

All US cars built since 2006 are fitted with the second generation of On-Board Diagnostics(OBDII). When an OBDII system detects a fault in the engine management system it will illuminate the "Service Engine Soon"(SES) light. Since there are dozens of potential fault codes, it's impossible to determine exactly what triggered the light on your car. That said, one of the most common causes of an SES light is a loose fuel filler cap-I would check that first. In any event, your dealer will be able to determine what is wrong in a matter of minutes. Since it's a new car, the problem is most likely a loose sensor connection or possibly what the techs call an "infant mortality"-a sensor or other electronic part that has failed within the first few hours of operation. I really wouldn't worry about it; let the dealer fix it and drive on down the road. The problem is not indicative of long term reliability.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Often, it will be the fuel filler cap. I cannot recall if it will reset itself, tho.

I think we had expected the clicky clicky sound when replacing the gas cap and, as you may now know, it doesn't clicky more than once.

I think we had ours reset and since we now know how to put the gas cap back on, it has never happened a second time.

Hopefully, this is operator error, even if you weren't the person who put the cap back -- hopefully with only 70 miles on it -- you have not needed gas.

Let us know.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ok Nyccarguy, I'll bite. ;)

BMW X3 vs. Acura RDX

I'll move the recent thread over there - the RDX boards could use some action. Please continue there. Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview Porsche and BMW owners who use their car for “everyday driving,” from going to the grocery store to commuting to and from work, instead of just using the car during the weekends for nice drives. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, August 28, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you drive.
  • bmwbob277bmwbob277 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone had an experience with the dealer installed "garage door opener"? I had the dimming mirror and garage door opener mirror installed as an extra when I bought the vehicle. I have tried everything to get the "rolling code" opener to operate. The fixed code does work. I have had 6 other vehicles,BMWs and Audis that work just fine so I do know how to program the damn thing. Home Link can't help and BMW tells me to call Home Link. Daha!! Can anyone give me some constructive input??

Thanks, Bmwbob
    Frustrating? We just use the visor clip on remote that came with the door opener.

Not what you want to hear, but at least it works and you don't have to spend hours getting mad.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "We just use the visor clip on remote that came with the door opener.'

I thought that was because you didn't buy the Homelink option?
    And you would be correct! We never dreamed Homelink wouldn't be on a $47K car.

But there's no alarm system or power folding mirror either.

The tinted rear glass is also extra.

We love the X3, but EVERYTHING is an option for pity's sake.

I assume the extra ignition key was an extra charge too.
    The new pics of the X5 are about everywhere and I am blown away how nice it is.

Certainly the family resemblance is there and the X5 looks great inside and out.

I had not considered it previously but I will drive it and consider. The lack of manual transmission is a bummer and may be the deciding factor.

To keep it under 50 I would have to forgo certain nicities but that interior is really nice!
    I think it's grown too big -- for me personally anyway.
  • freshwaterfreshwater Member Posts: 92
    I just traded in my 2005 G35 Coupe 8k for an X3 Black Saphire/Black. This is my first BMW and I try to compare to my G35 and my other SUV Murrano.

MSRP: 2006 X3:$40650
    2005 G35:$37500
    2006 Murrano:$38900 everything except DVD.

The X3 feels like driving my G35 but with less power. It realy drives good, stick to the road and the whole body act like one metal piece like a glove. So handling is awesome much better then murrano. X3 seats are not as good as Murrano or G35. X3 also used cheap plastic inside which kind of surprise me seeing such cheap quality on a 41K SUV.
    Also 6-CD changer is an option which should be a standard like Murrano with premium pkg. Bluetooth works good with my Verizon Moto Q. Still learning the voice commands, does any one knows a site which tells me all of their voice prompt commands for Mobile phone. The manual sucks and dosent explain these things in detail. Just drove 70 miles and can see the famous brake dust on the wheels. Murrano dont have this problem. I do like the M/S shift option in X3 to change to manual and sport. I used that in G35 also. Kids like the panoramic glass roof. X3 is narrow but has more depth in Cargo as compare to Murrano. As far AWD the real test will come in chicago Winter storm the reason I sell my G35.

Overall I am pleased by this X3 because I likes a driver CAR. Other options I had were ML350, RDX, RX350, Volvo but I went for X3, and X5 was too pricy and fuel hog.
    Can we used 87 or 89 fuel or only 91 grade.
    You must use Premium fuel.

I have seen the upcoming (October) 2007 X3 and I am smitten with:

#1 Standard 260HP engine
    #2 Standard no cost choice: 6speed manual or 6speed auto
    #3 Major upgrade to the interior, especially the dash
    #4 Better integration of body color bumpers
    #5 Optional 19" wheels and tires
    #6 More standard equipment and more of what you would expect in a Package.

Imagine our disbelief at $47K at NOT having a built in garage door opener or an alarm system with enunciator (beep beep!)

We, too, love ours -- and the OLD engine is mostly just fine as wine IF it is mated to the 6speed stick. The new engine probably will be just fine with the 6speed steptronic what with the extra cog and the higher torque that goes with the 260HP.

:surprise:

For "content" purposes, the new 2007 is actually lower in cost at MSRP than the outgoing model.

I heard, don't know and haven't been able to confirm, that the new 2007 X3 has addressed some of the "harsh" ride concerns, too.

Dream time:

Take the upgraded X3, put the 3.0 twin turbo engine in it, offer either the stick or auto and offer dynamic roll stabilization (from the new X5.)

Talk about a swiss army knife of cars:

Car handling (and nimble at that, too.)
    Impressive power and economy (300HP 29MPG)
    Classy Interior (might be nice to up grade it even more with the swoopy dash integraing the iDrive screen a la the 335)
    Off road prowess
    Decent cargo carrying
    A real back seat (for two)

Tang!
    Wow!

OH YEA -- keep it with all the toys at $49,999 even if you have to make the auto transmission a $1250 option or vice versa (whatever the market research bears out, i.e.)
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Can we used 87 or 89 fuel or only 91 grade.

Premium is "recommended" not "required." If you use fuel with a lower octane rating, you MAY see a small decline in performance. Manufacturers test with higher octane fuel (and "recommend" but do not "require" it's use) because it permits them to report higher horsepower, higher torque, and faster acceleration numbers.

Check out post #55 in the "Acura TSX: Real world mileage" thread which has a link to a Washington Post article. Here's a short excerpt:

"Automotive experts say using regular gas in most vehicles does no damage and makes no discernible difference in performance. Cars made in the past 15 years have such highly refined computer controls that the engine will adjust to the grade of octane in the gasoline, even in cars sold as requiring premium gasoline. Some drivers -- in some cars under some driving conditions -- may notice a drop in horsepower, but for most people behind the wheel, it wouldn't be enough to notice, the experts say.

"It's not going to hurt anything," said Peter Gregori, service manager for EuroMotorcars, a Mercedes-Benz dealer in Bethesda. In fact, Gregori has been using regular gas in one of his own Mercedes cars for two years, and "it's perfect," he said -- even though Mercedes-Benz says owners should use only premium.

"I get better mileage with the regular than I do with the high-test, in this particular model that I have," Gregori said. Among cars that come in for service, Gregori said, he can't tell which have been sipping premium."
    The BMW 3.0 engine CAN accept either regular or mid grade.

The engine, however, does REQUIRE Premium for optimum:

power, mileage and longentivity.

It is a false economy to use non Premium. It is wasteful to use Premium in a car that is designed to run on 87 or 89 octane.

The BMW engine NEEDS 91 octane due in large part to its high compression ratio. The engine management computer cannot lower the compression ratio -- it simply attempts to prevent pinging (pre ignition). The cost of doing this is less power, poorer mileage and over time shorter engine life.

Given that some customers might actually prefer to only put regular in their new Bimmers, BMW would (were it true) do itself a favor by simply saying "use regular."

Over a 50K period, I would suspect that BMW would have more unhappy customers due to the power, performance, mileage and longentivity signs if it did that.

A service manager willing to say use regular or use premium can be found and quoted easily.

The manufacturer has engineered and built the engines to run as they are intended on 91 or higher octane.

Our BMW service manager is adamant about using Premium and syn oil that passes certain regulations. FWIW.

The use of anything less than premium is wasteful.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    BMW's engineers and lawyers obviously don't share your concern, Mark.

The 2006 X3 Driver's Reference Guide is very clear that the use of premium unleaded fuel is "recommended" not "required."

If 87/89 octane gas trashes engines, then BMW is going to be on the hook for a lot of expensive engine replacements under warranty for failing to warn owners not to use it.

It's a point BMW's engineers and lawyers are highly unlikely to have overlooked. For cris'sake, the 2006 X3 owners' manual even includes warnings like this: "Do not remove the covers [of the LED's], and never stare into the unfiltered light for several hours, as irritation of the retina could result."

Which do you suppose is more likely to happen in the real world: owners are going to (intentionally or accidentally) fill up with 87 or 89 octane or owners are going to uncover the LED's on the dashboard and stare into them for 'several hours.'?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Mark, but I believe that BMW's engineers and lawyers know their product better than you do.

Bottom line: THEY don't require the use of premium unleaded fuel.
    Of course it says recommended, since it actually CAN run on non premium fuel.

The "case" re engineering/design, at least, for using premium in cars, such as these that are designed to run on premium has been made here (all over) at edmunds. Some of the posts appear to have been authored by folks who understand the chemistry (and physics) involved far better than most folks.

These engines are not designed to run on regular unleaded. This is not an opinion. We may quibble over the terms used which may be used specifically because a lawyer said "recommended" was technically more appropriate since the car's computer system CAN adjust to the lower octane [and the expected use of regular is temporary.]

We do not do folks a service by even hinting let alone suggesting they use anything less than Premium Fuel (in these BMW's under discussion, i.e.)

If you are reading this and the give and take on the subject here -- I urge you to fully vet the subject before you subject your engine to regular fuel on a chronic basis.

Don't listen to me, don't listen to jrynn, research this.

The preponderance of evidence will lead you to conclude, "you CAN use less than Premium" and the engine will not blow up or become damaged to the extent that only piles of 100 dollar bills can correct it. You will also discover that the engines have been engineered to perform as designed (including, power, economy and longentivity) when using Premium. The words that are in the articles on the subject most often seem to be "false economy," when it comes to the question "can I or should I use regular or mid grade in a car that recommends Premium?"
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    Bottom line is that we're talking about what, a $.20 per gallon difference. Most X3s sticker into the $40K range. Is the extra few dollars per fill up going to break you? Maybe you should consider a Honda CRV. They run on regular.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The right grade to buy is the one your particular car was engineered for.

According to Dennis Simanaitis, "Putting premium in a car designed to run on lower octane is a waste of money." Simanaitis is the engineering editor of Road and Track magazine.

Using regular in a car designed for premium, however, is a mistake. "If a car is rated to run on premium, it will still run on 87 or 89, but the engine computer will dial back its performance and you won't get optimum performance or gas mileage," Mr. Simanaitis said.

In that kind of car, "using premium fuel will eliminate knock [without the need to dial back the performance]," he added, "and the engine computer will deliver full performance."

So which grade of gasoline is right for your car? Look in your owner's manual. Unless it says it recommends 91 octane but that 87 is OK too, it really means it was engineered and manufactured with premium gas in mind.

Sometimes, engines are designed to run without issue on 87 and will improve their performance with 91 and 93. When gas is $3.00 for regular and $3.20 for premium it MAY be a good choice to use premium for the performance improvements would equal or better the cost differential. When regular is $1.50 and premium is $1.70 the difference, although the same money, may not be worthwhile as a percentage.

I was able to find information that suggested the payback time (in miles) could be calculated. Some "designed to run on regular" and able to adjust to Premium engines will achieve a break even only after 100,000 miles. Some engines will not benefit from octane improvements; and, some engines may even have some degradation of performance if they are fed Premium when they are designed for only Regular.

BMW's current crop of cars are "modern" in their appetites: they are designed to run optimally using 91 octane and can run better (better power and fuel economy) on 93. I suspect that were there a price increase of 10 cents or more for 93 over 91 (usually there is NOT), that it would take a long time to break even on the extra cost of the 93 over the 91. But, on the other hand, the use of 87 octane is reputed to have the opposite effect -- the lowering of cost will be more than offset by the loss of power and MPG's and the increased cost of using Regular in your new BMW effectively defines the phrase "false economy."

I have been able to find, in full disclosure, sources that either state or suggest that MOST cars cannot, indeed, will not benefit from using anything but the lowest grade gas (and/or cheapest price gas.)

The BMW 3.0 engine was designed to run optimally on premium and essentially cost more and deliver less if run on sub premium. If spending more money (in effect) and getting less performance (an oft cited number for the latter was "5%") for the money spent is the goal, well other than the potential for premature engine "issues," go ahead and use regular.

Most cars, apparently, it probably doesn't matter. BMW's don't appear to be in that category however.

I would rather use $.20 cheaper gas. However if your car gets but 14MPG's and you drive 12K per year, the stats seem to suggest less than a $200 PER YEAR difference between regular and premium.

Our X3 was $47K, our service manager/owner is of the "false economy" persuasion.

I guess we drank the Premium Kool Aid.

Check your manual. Check your manual.

You know the rest. :shades:
    Looks like a x3 loaded and e91 328ix (touring) is similar in price. About 45k.

My quandry is space vs driving. The level of interior fit and finish look similar, panoramic roof is on both, and both are limited in cargo space. Back seat is important, but both are kind of tight.

THe 335i seems to be the IT car of the year and while its nice, I have a new driver in the house and having "supercar" in the driveway might not be so healthy. For me that is. 0-60 in 5 flat will get me in trouble.

The 328 performance on paper is wonderful.

My question is how bad do former e46 or e90 drivers out there really miss there former drivers? My space needs are not that intense but I am currently driving an Audi allroad which I deem to be perfect inside. Great back seat! I'd be back in an audi but the lack of manual transmission except on the a4 avant is bringing me over to BMW.

This upgraded X3 really seems to hit the mark. Personally I liked the black bumper over last years full painting. Considering they only had it for one year confirms my thought that it looked supid. But the new bumper seems to compromise better. The upgraded interior will be huge in my book.

The thought of runflats also is not cool.

But I do love the drive of the 3 series!
    The X3 seems to have a real back seat (for two at least), the 3, almost, but not quite the same, if you asked me.
    The X3 is a nice truck that does an excellent imitation of a sports sedan, but my 1997 E39 was a better driver. If/when we no longer need a truck my wife plans to sell off the X3 and pick up a 1er(if available)or 3er. The X3 was is a perfect fit for our current needs, but once the rally stage gets paved our entire fleet will revert back to RWD, as God and BMW intended.
    This is on the BMWusa site.

This SAV looks darn nice now and is right in line with what is available. The offering of MT is what keeps this at the top of my list.

Last week the 06' lease rates on the configurater made the payments really close to the 07' 530 wagon! I understand why this is, but its really interesting.

My allroad gets turned in next week. It was a great ownership experience! The only natural replacement is the 530ix wagon but it stickers for 13K over what My Audi's cap cost was! And now I don't think it is worth 13k more!

I am looking foward to driving the X3 in its new and improved dressed up interior.

When all is said and done, I have to shift my own gears!
  • kimonokimono Member Posts: 1
    please, i need a drivers manual for my x3. the original got lost. pls, how do i go about it
    thanks
    Have you asked the dealer?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    If you purchased a new vehicle you get access to the owners circle on bmwusa.com. There you can download a pdf version of the cars owner manual.

If you bought a used vehicle, you can register your VIN and then get access to the owners circle.
  • mike141mike141 Member Posts: 8
    I had a bit of bad luck when I noticed something wrong with my X3. Just below the tailgate on the right hand side is a little square box. Apparently it was either pulled out or fell off revealing a hole. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Secondly, how much would it cost to replace that piece? :cry:
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Don't cry over that.

Go back to your dealer and they'll probably give you the tiny piece and install it for free.

That hole is used to tow the car. There is a screw in your car (probably located underneath the cargo tray in the rear) that goes into that hole, which allows the tow truck driver to secure the car when its on a flat-bed.
    The missing part is the cover for the towing eyelet, which are fitted to the front and rear of German vehicles. BMW calls it a "Towing Eye Finisher". X3s with unpainted bumpers use part number 51123400945 at a cost of @$9.00. The painted ///M bumpers take part number 51123416948 at @$8.00 Vehicles with Aerodynamic Package I or II bumpers require part #51110305104, for @$15.00.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The X3 is interesting, but it seems there is less support offered by the importer, and more reliance on dealers for resolution than with other brands. This seems to be a trend with most Euro importers, btw.

Do BMW owners find that to be true, or am I misreading the posts?
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: BMW X3. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the BMW X3 discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the BMW X3 board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for BMW X3 owners!

Be sure and visit BMW X3 and X5: Meet the Members! to stay in touch.

tidester, host
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • jpbmwjpbmw Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any experience with towing a small trailer behind the 2.5 X3? The price to install a hitch here is nearly $900 and I am not sure if it is worth it or not. Should be hauling one or two ATVs with a small trailer. Any insight would be helpful.
  • emerlemerl Member Posts: 1
    Would appreciate feedback regarding the x3's off road capabilities. Rocky, mountain trails, etc. Thanks
  • sheltonmegasheltonmega Member Posts: 9
    There is a roaring noice coming from rear wheels, the BMW guys said it is normal for all BMWs because performance cars are hard on tires, all four tires are starting feathering after 20000 miles, which cause this problem. It is really not convincing to me and the noice is really annoying. Anybody has the same experience? Any solutions?
  • bosi77bosi77 Member Posts: 37
    Hey everyone I was just wondering: I have a 2007 X3 and I noticed whenever I want to defrost my windows when I push the defrost button hot air is blown on me as well as the windows. To be frank too much hot air is blown on me. Does anybody know how I can fix this or what I should do?

Thanks,

bosi77
    Hmm...usually I only hear complaints that it's BMW owners , not the car itself, that are full of hot air. :P ;)
    You waited too long to replace your tires. 18,000 is about the right number if you have the UHP or MAX Summer only HP tires.

The H rated all seasons will go farther, but they pretty much suck in terms of performance.

We went for a half and half solution: UHP All-Seasons.

Expect about 20 - 25K out of these. Hope I'm right.

We've had tires on new German cars that needed to be replaced due to noise and wear in as little as 11,000 miles.

As far as I know all the mfgs now state (in the fine print) that the UHP or Max perf summer tires are:

A. not good below 45 degrees F.

B. not good on snow (DOH!)

C. will have SUBSTANTIALLY shorter treadlife than a Grand Touring or All-Season tire.

If you got 20K, consider yourself lucky. :cry:
    You are talking about replacing a set of tires almost every year or two, the tread looks like still new. Wow. So this is what BMW owners are doing?
    No no no! I am talking about replacing tires when they are worn. The low tread on these tires, the noise they make, the overall raggedy-ann look will be evident sometimes below 20,000 miles on the UHP and Max performance tires some of the mfgr's put on their cars.

The X3 with the standard set up OR the sport suspension set up comes with low performance (H rated) all season tires that should easily pass 30,000 miles and still be technically road-worthy.

I was talking about the ultra high performance tires, rated as V or more likely Z or Y -- or the even higher performance tires called Maximum performance. These tires are sticky, soft tread and stiff side-walled. In some cases 10,000 miles is "pushin' it."

Most of these cars come with either H rated All Seasons or Grand Touring (also H rated) all seasons.

I am NOT suggesting these tires of the lower performance persuasion are "bad or evil" -- they usually last much longer and work in cold temps and light snow (just the way American drivers like it.)

I have upgraded to the compromise American tire an Ultra High Performance All Season.

This irks some folks for they think I should just go all the way to two sets of tires one for 9 months one for 3.

The UHP all season compromise works so much better than the H rated lower performance all seasons, I guess I've become a victim of "good is the enemy of great!"

The tires most of these cars come with are simply adequate IMHO.

If you were lucky (depending on your perspective) to have you car come with uhp or max perf tires, you will have enjoyed "all your car can be." You will NOT enjoy regular and frequent tire swaps this fittment requires, however.

:shades:
    thank you for your detailed information :)
  • quiltingattyquiltingatty Member Posts: 5
    I am deciding whether to purchase my manual X3 with a navi system and am wondering what has been the experience people have had with it.
  • fhrabetinfhrabetin Member Posts: 34
    I have a 2001 3 series with the most maps,2006-b. System works well, smooth but have noticed in complex intersections, 4-5 sts. coming into an intersection can be a bit vague. Case in point while in the Portland OR. area last summer it said to turn left (complaint 1 it does not give st. names) when I could turn either Left by 90 degrees or 2 another Left 45 degrees to my L. There may be more unusual situations like this but on the whole its' OK. I have a portable Garmin that I can take with me, covers these extremes and gives st. names.