Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    the 3.0Si and all of the N52's 260 horsepower. It is a sweet engine. My wife's '07 X3 & my Dad's '07 X5 have it. It really negates the need for a V8 in the X5 unless you're towing something.

Oh, and while I'm at it listing my probable 2012 replacement for my Prelude, a used Cayman (might as well go for broke)!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Why is the Canadian 3.0i version 215hp instead of 225hp? Different emissions?
    I understand. I was thinking of something in the same price range as your Prelude, as well as something in the near future (instead of holding onto your Prelude). The Prelude SH provides a great sports car drive, but the suspension is not as forgiving as the 3-Series sport.

Every time I say I will hold onto my car for several years, something else comes along! I haven't held onto one car for more than 3 years since 1993.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    To be honest, I'm not sure! We used to have the 225hp version prior to 2007 model year. Perhaps the 215hp motor is the bored out version of the old 184hp motor?
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Every time I say I will hold onto my car for several years, something else comes along! I haven't held onto one car for more than 3 years since 1993.

I'm getting better at keeping my cars, but I relapse from time to time... :P
    As it stands now, I have one car that I've kept for almost twelve years(1995 318ti Club Sport) and one I've kept for five years(1999 Wrangler Sahara). My wife still likes her CPO 2004 X3 2.5 that she acquired in December of 2005, so it will remain in the fleet for the forseeable future as well. I can't imagine selling off the Mazdaspeed3 unless I hit Powerball, in which case I'd probably get a new M3 sedan AND an Exige(crosses fingers)...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    215 HP.. That is the 3.0 litre motor from the US '06 325i...

For 2007, US models were upgraded it to 230hp for the 328i..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Yes, that makes sense! I forgot about that one. Wasn't the '06 US 330i also a 3.0 liter motor delivering 255hp?

That still brings up one question: Why was the base '06 3.0 liter only 215hp instead of 225hp? The previous e46 platform as well as the X3 platform had a 3.0 liter at 225hp. I understand the engine was modified for '06, but rarely do we ever see a newer version of an engine, same displacement, putting out less power than the previous version.

Was it simply a case of BMW wanting to maintain a large buffer of horsepower differential between the 325i and the more costly 330i? It seems like Audi/VW was doing this in the US market with their 1.8T engines, back when the Jetta was rated at 180hp, but the Passat and A4 were rated at only 150 or 170 hp -- all with the same 1.8T engine. The models which also offered a more expensive V6 engine had the 1.8T version rated at lower power output.
    The 225 HP 3.0 litre from the E46 has multiple intake runners, while the new 3.0 litre in the 325i had a single intake.. (plus, it was a whole new engine.. and more fuel efficient).

Anyway, who knows what the real numbers were/are.. It's pretty easy to massage them up or down 5-10 HP for marketing reasons...

Just like the model numbers... 325, 328, 330, 335 all had 3.0 litre engines..

I do think the horsepower wars are a little silly, though... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My wife really loves her 2005 X3 (virtually all options, the 225HP 6 and a stick shift too.) However, she has tested about everything you can imagine that might even be remotely considered a competitor. She's looked at vehicles, CUV's, SAV's & SUV's from many makers and in prices that seem to range from -$5,000 to +$10,000 difference of the current ('08) X3. With 6 lease payments left, the heat is on, since she will almost certainly be ordering a car and ordering it with a 90 day lead time.

The $44K Acadia? The $44K Tourag? The $39,950 LR? The $58K Q7? An as yet to be seen EX35 from Infiniti or Q5 from Audi? Something perhaps from SAAB, Volvo, ja?

We've driven Acuras, Infinitis, Lincolns, Cadillacs and Mazadas of all ilks and seemingly all price ranges. Hell we even drove the Hyundais of late vintage.

Along comes the new (but not too new) Jeep Grand (with a Hemi no less). Stop the madness -- pick something, get to know it, love it, choose it, get it.

OK, so the Acadia wins in several categories, but the engine needs to be the one in the new Cadillac CTS DI, not the anemic thing standard (now) in the Acadia.

The Land Rover is quite entertaining, as is the RDX and the MDX, etc.

Ah but the power of the Jeep is, er, entoxicating.

Well let's price one of these puppies:

A pretty much all out X3, as she wants it, is $49K. The Jeep is $42K. The Jeep is dicounted $4500 if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The Jeep is $777 per month for a 39 month lease, 15K miles, no cap cost reduction required by us.

The Jeep, at that price does NOT have Sat Radio or Sat Nav.

The X3 with everything but the sport package, but WITH the SAV package for 36 months is $636, same deal otherwise -- don't even have to ask for anything.

If we "countered" on the Jeep, would they drop it to 36 months, add sat radio and nav and let it go for $636 per month? Naaaah.

On the other hand, if we asked for a little better deal on the X3, would THAT be a likely outcome. Probably -- plus they'll let her out of her lease 3 months early.

It is a sinister plot, I tell you.

Not that I, for one, would mind one little bit, upgrading from a somewhat more crude and underpowered 2005 X3 to a hardly at all crude and reasonably powered 2008 X3.

I just wish the X3 had voice command at least for the in car phone system that works, oh so well, even in the 2005 version.

Even the Acadia was more than the Bimmer for pity's sake.

Damn subvented leases -- you would have to be out of your mind to buy one of these things with the lease program soooo "supported."

Er, no offense, if you buy, it is, YOUR money. :surprise:
    You gotta cut back on the caffein, Mark! :P
    It is a fine wine from Italy, not a coffee from Columbia.

But seriously, we drove the new X3, Bronze, two tone leather, SAV, Winter, Sound, Nav, Premium, Xenon, Parktronic, 6 speed steptronic packages, etc -- it was substantially upgraded in the interior and the power of that 3.0si was at least very adequate.

The VW Toureg with a few packages on it might be a bit better vehicle -- but then again there is that unbeatable BMW customer good will and good service that covers anything and everything.
    "...the power of that 3.0si was at least very adequate."

Just adequate? :cry: I've been hoping that it would be more "vigorous". "Adequate" conjures up images of....RX350, MDX, ....
    I was toying with saying "ample" -- but the truth of the matter is, I have driven the 3.0 turbo, and the 260HP non-turbo, nice as it is, isn't quite in the same league.

Coupled with the 6 speed auto, the 3.0si's output is "more than adequate."

That's about as far as I can take it -- the fact is, the landscape keeps changing and what was once adequate or ample, loses out as technology marches forward.

The 2005 225HP X3 with the stick shift was "adequate" at the time -- now, not so much. . . . :surprise:
    Manual tranny X3? How many miles on that puppy?

Trading at The BMW Store? That could be my next car.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

All options avail at 5/05, 45K miles at this point.

And yes, BMW store.
    For some of us, an SUV (er, SAV) that can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in 6.7/6.9 seconds, and still get mid-20's highway mileage, might be described as exhilarating. A few years ago this might have been described as "impossible".

For others, these numbers are merely "very adequate". ;)
    Like mark said, he drove a twin turbo BMW before driving the X3, so of course the X3's acceleration seems adequate.

Our X3 is a road rocket compared to my wife's former 2000 Mazda Protege ES with all of its 120 horsepower.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Great letter you wrote in this month's ROUNDEL!

Great letter you wrote in this month's ROUNDEL!

Thanks! That absurd "318ti was a failure" mantra gets tossed around so much that people tend to forget how the car was actually recieved when it was new; that guy's ignorant comments were just the last straw.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

behind you roadburner (bottom 16 to top of 17) under the Some Buyers Are Color-Blind. is a letter I wrote to Satch a few months ago! I had no idea it would get published! This is so exciting!

• parlynnparlynn Member Posts: 2
    I have been thinking of buying an X3 for quite some time. I have the resources to pay cash. Is this better than leasing the car? I also want the Manual 6 speed which I know I will have to special order. Is it possible to deal with the dealership regarding throwing in accessories or dropping from the MSRP when special ordering? At this time,
    I know it's too late to order the 07, but I understand there isn't going to be any changes for 08. Does anyone know any differently. I have not had positive responses from people who have shopped and/or owned BMW's in the past. Can anyone enlighten me on this? I am thinking of getting the sport package as well as premium package. Any comments on that will be appreciated. Would like to hear from current owners of this vehicle regarding negatives and
    positives of owning a BMW. I intend to have it a long time and have only had Japanese cars in the recent past. Can I expect to own a BMW for many years without much repairs? The car will be a second vehicle and used primarily for long road trips and trips to the snow.
    I had no idea it would get published! This is so exciting!

Great letter!

I am thinking of getting the sport package as well as premium package.

I'd suggest that you drive a sport package equipped X3 to make sure that the somewhat firm ride won't bother you. I don't mind it but I know that others find it to be too stiff.

Would like to hear from current owners of this vehicle regarding negatives and positives of owning a BMW. I intend to have it a long time and have only had Japanese cars in the recent past. Can I expect to own a BMW for many years without much repairs?

Well, I've owned four Japanese cars, including a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 that I currently use as my daily commuter. As for BMWs, I've owned eight since 1983. That number includes a 56K mile 2004 X3 2.5 that my wife currently drives and a 110K mile 1995 318ti Club Sport track rat that I've owned since new. In my experience BMWs are no trouble-prone than any other car. Ditto for maintenance and repair costs; My 318ti has averaged about $400-$500 a year to run, and that figure includes ALL maintenance and repair expenses as well as three sets of 16" Z-rated rubber. I've replaced one set of pads/rotors, the serpentine belts and idlers, the timing chain tensioner(DIY $55 and 10 minutes) and a brake light switch($15). That's it.
    The X3 has had one non-scheduled repair- a defective SRS seat sensor that was replaced under warranty. At around 48K I replaced the OEM Bridgestones with Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires for less than $400. I do change the oil at 7.5K rather than 15K, but it's a dead simple DIY procedure that takes all of 30 minutes and $45.
    My wife had an 528iA prior to the X3 and she drove it to over 130K before we sold it(I wish we'd kept it instead of my Jeep Wrangler, but that's another story). Maintenance/repair costs averaged around $800-$900 a year. Non-scheduled repair items included a couple of idler pullies, a water pump, two tie rod ends, and front struts.

The car will be a second vehicle and used primarily for long road trips and trips to the snow.

The X3 is a small truck that does an excellent job of imitating the ride and handling of a BMW 3 Series. For your purposes it would be an excellent choice- though I'd prefer a 335xi sedan if I needed AWD traction and BMW driving characteristics.

There are changes that may make the 2008 "just right."

The main thing that has changed is the addition of an SAV package in addition to the Sport Package.

The SAV package gives you shawdowline trim, 18" wheels and tires, aluminum running boards, an M3 like steering wheel (that can be ordered with HEAT!), but no sport suspension and with comfort seats instead of the sport seats.

We've now owned the 2005 with the Sport Package, tested a new one without the SAV and without the SP and tested one with the SAV package: DING! We have a winner.

The look is there, the deep tinted rear windows are there, the running board actually does provide some functionality and the turn in and looks offered by the 18" wheels and tire are there. The three spoke steering wheel, too adds a bit of looks.

But the harshness of the sport ride is missing.

We configured a new one with almost all options and the SAV package -- one came in, we took it for a two hour test drive (this one with the auto, we currently have the stick shift in our 2005.)

The power, smoothness and almost total lack of wind or road noise coupled with the dandy 6 speed auto: instant tang!

For $636 per month for a $48K car at 15K per year on a 36 month term. . .how could you go wrong (and I think this deal might be bettered, in fact.)

Much as there are other cars out there that have much to recommend them, well, the new X3 is still a force to be dealt with AT THIS PRICE POINT per month, i.e.

The only two "let's check 'em out" vehicles at this time are the EX35 and the Q5. If you must buy now, tho, the X3 is tough to beat.

I would not think it would hold up well, however, as a car to BUY for $48K, but the lease price (subvented one must assume) is, er, "impressive."

My wife, owner of the current 2005 X3, will make her decision probably by Christmas -- but today, the X3 would win. The EX35, out by then, tho, might be a spoiler, might be.

The way they treat us at the BMW store, tho, well, that would be hard for me to believe will be the case at the Infiniti store.

We'll see.

:surprise:
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    FWIW,

I saw an on-line write up recently on the EX35 (Winding Road?), and they liked it. One item, however, that caught my attention is the rear seat legroom in the EX35 was listed as being noticeably less than in the X3.

One thing we like about our X3 is back seat passenger room, and the ease of getting in and out of the back seat, for a vehicle that is about the length and width of a 3 series sedan.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • expat2005expat2005 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 X3 (3.0) and have enjoyed it (I appear to be among a minority in finding the existing rear-seat ride to be perfectly comfortable). That said, I like the subtle new styling changes to the 2008 X3 and the promise of the gentler ride in the rear.

My central disappointment about the veichle is the trim-options for the interior. Our current X3 interior is a sort of "pumpkin" orange leather (sparking sapphire black exterior). The combination is unique and quite appealing. The current color offerings for the 2008 X3 is the dull-as-doornails beige (er, sorry ... sand!), grey and black. Does anyone know if a wider array of interior color schemes will be offered for 2009 or later in the 2008 model year?
    I thought you could still get Terra (Cotta) in the X3?

.. Even though it doesn't show on the website, I think you can order it for the same price as any other color leather..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• expat2005expat2005 Member Posts: 2
    I've been pricing out a 36-month lease for the 2008 X3 and am shocked at the cost. We have a 39-month (15K/year or 48750K total) lease on a 2005 X3 that we acquired in August of 2005 (which, I realize, is towards the end of the model year). That vehicle is loaded with options: 3.0 engine, sapphire black paint, nav, premium package, premium sound, heated steering wheel, bluetooth, Sirius, BNMW Assist, privacy glass, etc. We put $5000 down and our payments are $341/month. The same vehicle for 2008 looks to be in the $600+ range comparably equipped; financing it would put us over $1000/month. What gives? How did an option-loaded model that was in the sub-$40K move into the $50K neighborhood for 2008??
    The 2007 X3 brochure also doesn't show a Terracotta color option. It lists 4 interior color options:

1) Sand beige
    2) Black
    3) Gray
    4) Sand beige leather with black trim

I think the 4th option is the most appealing, and I believe it replaced the Terracotta color option.

Still, it might be worth enquiring if the Terracotta can be special ordered?
    Hmmm...

I'm not sure why you say "an option-loaded model that was in the sub-$40K..." ?

Based on the description of your 2005 X3, I'm guessing the MSRP was greater than $45K. For comparison sake, I have a 2004 X3, without Nav (and without Sports or Climate Package), which stickered at $44K.

Take a look here within Edmunds for their "Full Test: 2004 BMW X3 3.0i" or their "Long-Term Test: 2005 BMW X3" test drive articles. Each of these articles provides a detailed price list for both of these vehicles they tested. Their 2005 Long-Term Test X3 stickered at $47.5K.
    My wife has Bridgestone Turanza EL-42s on her '06 X3, and one has a nail on the edge of the tread such that the local tire shop said it is unrepairable. Tires have 20,000 miles and a decent amount of tread left, maybe half the tread(?).

We're inquiring now about replacing the damaged tire under the road hazard insurance we purchased from the dealer. Wondering if you have any thoughts on:

Will mixing one new EL-42 with the 3 existing EL-42 tires cause any problems? The local tire store was telling us we really should get 4 new tires, to keep everything "balanced". I also realize 4 new tires would be good for them business wise.

For Michelin and Pirelli, they have both an H rated and a higher performance all season tire in the size we need, 235-50/18 (optional wheels but not the sport package). Cost aside, does it make any sense from a driving perspective to get Pilot Sport A/S over the Pilot HX MXM4? Or the Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico over the Scorpion STR?

Lastly, has anyone considered going to the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season? This must be a relatively new tire as Tirerack does not have numerical ratings for it like they do for the others.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Doesn't the X3 have a spare?

Put the spare (which should be new), and the new tire on the rear axle.. Take the tire that was across from the damaged tire back as a spare..

That way, both tires on an axle have equal tread.. You'll at least get all of the available wear out of the original set.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion. I see how that would work.

I need to check the car when I get home this evening. For some reason, I thought our X3 came with a compact spare rather than a full sized one. I just checked the BMW web site, and it says the '07 X3 comes with a "space-saver wheel and tire".

Bruce
    Ah... maybe so... I've only had them for loaners.. I knew they didn't have runflats... I didn't think about a spacesaver.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I think my '07 X3 has a spacesaver.

Will mixing one new EL-42 with the 3 existing EL-42 tires cause any problems? The local tire store was telling us we really should get 4 new tires, to keep everything "balanced". I also realize 4 new tires would be good for them business wise.

I'd check with the BMW dealer. I know Audi recommends replacing all four.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

I put Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S tires on my wife's 2004 X3 for less than $400. After more than 8000 miles they are still very quiet and very sticky. Apparently they aren't available in the size you require. Have you considered the Kumho Ecsta ASX? Tire Rack has them for only $124.00 each. I've had very good luck with the Kumhos I fitted on my 3er and my wife's old 5er. I also like the Scorpion STR; I would have gone that route if Tire Rack hadn't had such a great deal on the P Zero M+S.

Thanks for the comments from all on X3 tires.

I double checked last night, and we do have the space saver spare.

I had the non repairable tire replaced with a single, new EL-42 this afternoon, and will pick up the car this evening. My first priority was to get the tire with the nail in it replaced, as soon as I could, so that is done.

Since I am supposed to get reimbursed for this by the insurance, I haven't invested any new money in the EL-42s. Given the comments on the EL-42s here and other places, and the reviews on Tirerack, I would rather buy 4 new tires than another EL-42 to balance the replacement tire we just got.

Thanks
    Bruce
  • lisachristofidlisachristofid Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2004 x3 and it makes odd noises inside when turning corners and going over bumps and such. We have always driven BMW's and have never had an annoying problem like this. Does any one else have this issue? Has BMW resolved it? If so what was the problem and how was it fixed?
    We just bought a 2004 x3 and it makes odd noises inside when turning corners and going over bumps and such.

Does the noises sound as if they are coming from the doors? If so, it is a well-known problem involving the door seals and/or window seals. BMW has issued a few TSBs on the problem, so you might want to check with the dealer if your truck is still under warranty. If not, some people have obtained good results by applying a rubber protectant to the door seals and/or window channels. This Meguiars product has worked well for some owners.

Hey, thanks for this info!

When we purchased our '04 X3, we also noticed a slight noise that seems to come from the Driver's window. Funny thing: If we quickly, lightly tap on the down button, so that the window is not completely closed tightly, then the noise seems to disappear. Is this also a common symptom due to the window seals?
    Hey, thanks for this info!

Glad to help!

Funny thing: If we quickly, lightly tap on the down button, so that the window is not completely closed tightly, then the noise seems to disappear. Is this also a common symptom due to the window seals?

Yes.

In the latest issue of Automobile Magazine, page 20, there is a half page writeup on the next generation (2010) X3. They talked about several things that either will be, or could be in the new design such as an 8 speed auto and active roll stabilization. They said both the overall length and wheelbase will be increased by 3".

Mentioned a 6 cylinder engine with 300 hp, but from their wording I could not tell if this is the current twin turbo motor, or something different.

Also talked about a diesel, and an M version with the new M3 motor.

I could not find any info on Edmunds. Does anyone have any addtional information on the next X3? Any comments on the writeup in Automobile?

Thanks
    Bruce
    I haven't gotten automobile yet. Our lease will be up at the end of July 2010. I'm probably going to look to purchase rather than lease our next family vehicle. With 1 child, our current '07 X3 3.0si is just perfect. I would welcome a small increase in length and width (in the rear cargo area) if we're going to buy this thing for the long haul for (hopefully) 2 children.

I'd probably opt for a diesel next time around if it is available and not too much more expensive than the gas engine.

I'd probably opt for a diesel next time around if it is available and not too much more expensive than the gas engine.

As I've mentioned before, I had the chance to drive a 535d for @30 minutes and I was very impressed- with the engine, anyway. Bags of low-end torque coupled with ample midrange power. The 4500 rpm redline is a bit disconcerting -shades of the 2.8 liter eta engine- but you adjust to the engine's power curve.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    This might help someone making this decision:

I had my X3 for 3 years and I enjoyed it and was going to get another one. But, I decided since I was going to be semi-retiring I didn't need such a practical car...and wanted to go more for a fun car. I tried a 2008 328i Cabriolet with 6 speed standard transmission. This brings driving to a whole new level. I do miss certain aspects of the X3, like all that room, the high seating, the all wheel drive. But this is a blast in James Bond Atlantic Blue Metalic. My wife calls me 007 now.

My wife had a 2003 Mercedes C Class Wagon which was getting slow and boring. She was leaning toward an Audi 4, standard 6 speed and was almost ready to place her order when she decided to try a 335xi, 6 speed manual. She felt the BMW was more substantial and just felt stronger and more solid. At least we have one car that will go in snow, and that has 4 doors. At the time I thought the 335 was a bit excessive, but if I was to do it again I would have gotten the 335 engine. The extra power makes a big difference and I mean mostly from a safety advantage. It is also a little more fun and the engine growl sounds like a sports car.

I love both cars for what they are. I am not saying these cars are better than the X3, I needed the room in the X3 for work and I enjoyed my X3 very much and I am glad that I got it. I am just saying, one day a sedan or convertible might be a consideration....and I would say go for it, or at least try it.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• karitonkariton Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 2008 X3 and planning to buy snow tires. Manual described which looks like an indirect TPMS. However, Tire Rack says that when I buy snow tires, I would have to buy the direct TPMS monitors embedded in each tire. Is the X3's TPMS indirect ( like in the manual) or is it direct like what Tire Rack is saying? Thanks.
    On the '07-'08 X3, if you unlock the rear hatch with the key remote, does the hatch merely unlock, or does it actually pop open a crack so that you only need to lift it with your hand?
    It pops open a crack.

• utexas06utexas06 Member Posts: 55
    Hey guys, I just wanted to get your opinions on this pre-owned X3 I found at a Caddy dealership. It's not BMW certified pre-owned just so you know.

Details:
    2006 BMW X3 3.0i
    Asking Price: $28,950
    Mileage: 29,014
    Silver Gray Metallic w/ Black leather interior
    Sport Package (upgraded 18" M wheels/tires, 3 spoke M steering wheel, body color fenders, and body kit, sport suspension)

The interior and exterior look clean. The price seems pretty attractive I think the market value with the extra options is over $30k. Do you guys think there is still room to negotiate on the price? This is a spontaneous purchase therefore I don't have a lot of money to put down. Any tips on negotiating or suggestions? Thanks. :)
    Ok...I guess that's probably more convenient. But on the downside, does that mean the hatch cannot be set to auto-relock? (ie. doors will auto-relock if you unlock with remote but don't open them within a set duration of time) Thanks.