Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I think The BMW Store is one of those big CPO dealers that is required to take back everything they sell... They get special perks for that...

Although, they might have a certain number of "Get out of Jail Free" cards...

If they CPO it, and the MMR price is reasonable, so they can keep the price low, I bet they can move it.. The stick-shift will be their main issue, I think..

My wife wants an X3 for her next car.. I think she might kill me, if I get one with a stick.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    The stick-shift will be their main issue, I think..

I concur. In Aug/Sept last year, I did a comprehensive search for '04/'05 X3's within Arizona, Southern California, and Las Vegas. Of all the X3's I found, only one of them had a stick shift -- and it was not a CPO car. It wasn't exactly moving fast off the lot, either.

I didn't realize until I performed this search that BMW dealers can certify a car with up to 60K miles on it. I previously thought the limit was 50K. If BMW NA is offering good incentives on '05 X3's now, such as low APR and/or a couple months w/o payments, the dealer might just want to certify this car, regardless of the transmission.

I wouldn't mind an X3 with a stick, but my wife prefers automatic. The SUV is always her car (I always drive the sport sedan/coupe), and so this is ultimately her choice, not mine. I don't try to persuade her otherwise, because there is always the smaller issue regarding future resale...
  • gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    Hello All:

I currently drive a 2001 Subaru Forester, and with 130K on the clock I'm thinking of replacing it. I had pretty much decided to get a 09 Forester, but have always loved my boss's BMW 5 series, and wanted to see if a used X3 might make more sense.

I went to a local lot, and looked at 3 X3's, all 2004's, with between 30-50K on the odos. On all three, the interior was shockingly worn. Examples: The plastic trim around the cupholders were bubbling. The pebble plastic dash was unevenly sun faded, trim pieces where starting to de-laminate, and the seats showed way more wear than I would expect for a car with
    My el-cheapo car (the Forester) has probably the world's cheapest looking trim, and yet it's all in fine shape after 130K and 7 years, and I really don't baby this car at all. To compare, I looked at similarly aged 3 and 5 series sedans, and found the interiors in better shape.

Do you think I saw 3 bad examples (out of 3), or is this a known issue with the X3. Has the interior of the car been upgraded since 2004, and if so when. I was kind of bummed, as I always thought premium car would wear well.

Of course it's possible that I was seeing three bad examples, but it was a little surprised that they all looked as worn as these.
  • alaskan_otteralaskan_otter Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2004 X3 with the fake leather interior. I do not have the laminated wood so my car has held up fairly well. It almost has 70K on it. Right before 50K I had the driver seat cover replaced because there were tiny, almost razor-like slits that formed on the edge of the seat. Replaced under warranty and not had a repeat issue since. My interior is tan. The dash hasn't faded but my car is garaged day and night when not in use. I have a Blue Heeler that has walked on the seats too and they have wiped clean. The interior, while certainly bare-bones and not fancy, has held up fine.
    Once I'm no longer a dog owner, I'll get leather in my next BMW 1 series or X6.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    The interior, while certainly bare-bones and not fancy, has held up fine.

That's been my experience as well. My 2004 X3 has 60K on the clock and leather.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I'll make it "3 for 3". Our '04 X3 interior, with 37K miles, and with leather seats and wood trim on the doors, shows very little wear. In fact, most people cannot believe it is 4 years old. Some passengers actually think we bought it new last year! The only place I see visible wear is on the cargo carpetting in the back hatch area.

Hence, I don't know what to say about your experience? I'm hoping it was merely 3 bad examples, and some rather unfortunate luck for you. Were they all found at the same dealer? Were they Certified (CPO) vehicles? I'm not an expert, but I expect BMW dealers to replace delaminated or bubbling trim pieces when they certify a vehicle. (Roadburner: Would you agree?)

In response to your other question, the interior of the X3 did not receive any real upgrade until 2007.

Incidentally, last year I experienced some very minor bubbling on the trim around one of my cupholders, but this problem occurred in my 3-series coupe. Fortunately, the BMW dealer replaced the cupholder assembly for free under warranty. I definitely haven't noticed any similar issue with our X3. Since we weren't the original owners of either vehicle, I can't say whether this is a YMMV sort of issue, or if these wear issues are due to uncareful handling.
    I'm not an expert, but I expect BMW dealers to replace delaminated or bubbling trim pieces when they certify a vehicle. (Roadburner: Would you agree?)

Yes, although the quality of CPO BMWs does vary from dealer to dealer.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The new X3 is in the US (gotta love the order tracking feature on the BMW usa website.

Got a trip planned for the Easter weekend, so we probably won't quite have the new X3 in our garage.

Counting down the days tho. . .
    After 60K miles my wife's 2004 X3 2.5 finally needed brakes. Funny thing; the outside RR pad had begun to score the rotor but the pad wear sensor on the inside RR pad hadn't worn through yet- we never got a brake lining warning light. We checked the front pads and rotors while we we at it and they were almost gone as well, so we went ahead and replaced the pads and rotors at all four corners. The X3 is the first BMW that I've ever owned that wore out the rear pads before the front ones. All my other Bimmers would go through two sets of front pads before you had to touch the rear pads.
    Kudos to Swope BMW in Louisville-in particular my Service Advisor Edwin-for taking the truck in at 10:00 AM(without an appointment) and having it washed and ready to go by 5:50 the same day.
    By the time we put another 60K on it my son will be driving it... :surprise: :cry: :surprise:

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "The X3 is the first BMW that I've ever owned that wore out the rear pads before the front ones."

Any chance that your wife may have a habit of leaving the parking brake engaged while driving from time to time?
    Any chance that your wife may have a habit of leaving the parking brake engaged while driving from time to time?

The X3 gives the driver a continuous warning chime if you drive off with the parking brake handle lifted by just one notch. Even if that wasn't the case, BMWs have a separate parking brake assembly that uses shoes that act against a drum which is cast into the rear rotors- as can be seen here. I checked a couple of X3 boards that are much more technically oriented, and their members confirmed that the rear brakes DO tend to wear out before the fronts. My Service Advisor also stated that X3s are harder on the rear pads.

I didn't know that about the X3 --- thanks for the info! :)

Do you know if that warning chime applies to all BMWs?
    thanks for the info!

Glad to help.

Do you know if that warning chime applies to all BMWs?

I believe that all new BMWs have the warning chime, but I don't know when it was first introduced. I do know that my 1995 3 Series doesn't have it, and our 1997 528i also lacked the feature.

It would be a useful feature for sure. I've been guilty, on a couple of occassions, of being half way down the block before realizing the parking brake is still on. :blush:
    I've been guilty, on a couple of occassions, of being half way down the block before realizing the parking brake is still on.

Me too... :P

the outside RR pad had begun to score the rotor but the pad wear sensor on the inside RR pad hadn't worn through yet- we never got a brake lining warning light.

A similar thing happened with my '05 325Ci a couple months ago, although I don't know which wheel. Basically, one of the outside pads was down to "0%" by the time the inside pad was low enough to activate the wear sensor. The good news is that the brake pads and rotors were replaced at all 4 corners, at no cost, thanks to BMW's maintenance plan.

Who did the brake work for your X3? I'm guessing it was an independent shop who specializes in BMWs, correct? Is this one area of maintenance where $$$ are saved by using an independent shop? May I ask how much this service cost you?

One reason I'm asking is because a service advisor (not my "regular" advisor) warned the brake services for an X3 are very expensive -- more expensive than on the 3-series cars. If so, I'm guessing it is only because the rotors are larger? He was advising me to consider buying the extended maintenance plan; but considering all of my X3's brake pads are fairly new, and our X3 is now 4 years old today, I didn't think it was a smart move.
    Who did the brake work for your X3? I'm guessing it was an independent shop who specializes in BMWs, correct? Is this one area of maintenance where $$$ are saved by using an independent shop? May I ask how much this service cost you?

In this case I used the dealer, for a couple of reasons. Normally I would have used my independent shop, but when I discovered the scored rotor I thought it was possible that the caliper was seized- which would be covered under the CPO warranty. Secondly, my indie shop is usually booked a couple of days ahead, and the X3 is the only car my wife drives(it's the only one with an automatic). The dealer was able to get it in and out the same day. The main cost was the parts- $620 for rotors and pads at all four corners. The final damage was a tick over $900. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but the cost per mile was about the same as my wife's old 528i- which needed front pads every 20K and rotors every 40K. The rear pads and rotors lasted @ twice as long. To put things in perspective, my indie shop charged @$600 to R&R the pads and rotors on my 318ti, using BMW rotors and Axxis Metalmaster Pads. That said, in 100K miles the 3er went through only one set of rotors(F&R), 2 sets of front pads and one set of rear pads. At least the X3 wont need any brake work for another four years...

• saab2saab2 Member Posts: 6
    "At least the X3 wont need any brake work for another four years..."
    We do a lot of highway miles. Had brakes at 35k and at 70k, both no cost on warranty or service plan, so I don't think dealer was taking advantage of us. Not the greatest intervals.
    $620 for rotors and pads at all four corners. The final damage was a tick over $900.

But... Just Brakes advertises replacement of all four brakes for only $99! You could've saved $800! :P

Seriously, that number is less than I expected. I was expecting the cost to run between $1200-$1500, for replacing all 4 sets of pads and rotors at the dealer.
    But... Just Brakes advertises replacement of all four brakes for only $99! You could've saved $800!

NOW you tell me!!! :mad:

Seriously, that number is less than I expected. I was expecting the cost to run between $1200-$1500, for replacing all 4 sets of pads and rotors at the dealer.

I checked my reciept and the actual amount was $981.79 after my BMW CCA discount. I think that my dealer's service prices are definitely on the low side; I read about one poor sod who got hit for $900 just to R&R the front pads and rotors on an X5... :surprise:

• ralphps2000ralphps2000 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had this happen with their X3? Mine is a 2004.

I parked my car in the garage and several hours later when I went back to it, all four windows had opened-- including the sunroof. No, it's not poltergeists. Later that same week, the same thing happened again.

Also, there are times when the remote key will unlock the driver's side door but not the passengar's. After several attempts the remote will not even re-lock the door and the dashboard mounted locking button won't even open or lock the doors. The only way to unlock the front passengar door is with the inside handle release.

I've taken it back to the dealer and they cannot find anything wrong with it.

Any suggestions?!
    We picked up my wife's new '08 X3 yesterday and turned in the '05.

The refinements are numerous and perhaps for some folks, subtle.

My wife loves the new 260HP 225 lb ft power first and foremost. She is also impressed with HD radio and the many near lux or entry level lux upgrades.

The new one is almost silent, even at speed, compared with the '05.

We have the SAV package, this time, NOT the sport package -- the improvements in ride are not sublte -- it rides and handles much more like the last 3 series we were loaned when the X3 was in for service.

Couldn't be happier -- in fact, at this point, the X3 is (for her, for us) the best overall Bimmer for the money.

36 months 48K miles, $632/mo, No sec dep, Sales tax on lease, first month and prepaid miles.
    I may be taking an X6 on a TN to CA road trip... :surprise:

• x3lemonx3lemon Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering getting another X3. I purchased one right after they came out and it was a lemon, but I'm hoping/guessing that some of the problems I had have been fixed. At the same time, could anyone tell what sort of mileage they're getting now, approx. for normal driving and for freeway driving, please.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    ..... My wife loves the new 260HP 225 lb ft power first and foremost .....

For the '05 you traded in, did you have the 2.5 or the 3.0 engine?

Thanks
    Bruce
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Dude. That is SO sweet. What is this for and when is it?!?! Do you work for BMW, or is the x6 out now?! Ive been asking about it everywhere is this some type of promo thing?! Can I take an X6 on a roadtrip from TN to CA!!!!?????
    One of my friends is driving a BMW NA press loaner from the official launch in SC to the Left Coast where it will become part of the BMW west coast press fleet.

3.0 and the manual in the '05.
  • dionngdionng Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2008 X3, and getting about 15-17 MPG in City and 24 in Highway. It seems one full tank of gas last about 280-300 miles. I thought I have read some articles in 2005 they are going to make a hybird verson of X3, but don't know when will come out.
    Look for a diesel, soon.
  • lougheedlougheed Member Posts: 2
    I’m looking for quality x3 performance parts (Cold air intake, Strut tower brace bar). Any reliable vendors?
    I'd go with Dinan. Be aware that there's not much cheap horsepower to be found in today's naturally aspirated BMW engines.
    You do know that the X3 already has a front strut brace, right?

• quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Dude. That is seriousley awesome. Does your friend work for BMW?! How does he get to drive the SICKEST car across the country that is sooo tight. Are you going with him?! Tell us what the cars like, i bet its amazing that is such an awesome car. You are so lucky man
    I had to take a pass on the trip. My friend is a journalist who is doing a story on the X6. If you are covering a launch BMW will let you do a "drive away" which means that you drive a car back home and BMW's transport company comes and picks it up in 10 days or so.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    That sounds great!!

It seems I just missed you... My son and I were on the way back from the kennel that day, dropping off the pooch, as we were leaving on vacation...

We swung by there, to see if we could spot your car... around 0930 AM.. Just a little too soon.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Two weeks into the new X3 -- took it back to the dealer to have the Touch Signalling and Daytime Running Lights activated. No charge, free wash and vacuum, love the Touch Signalling -- dealer sales didn't even know about it, in fact claimed it did not work on the X3 since it doesn't have iDrive.

Wrong! It works just fine.

Loving the power and now the economy is improving with over 500 miles on it.

Very quiet, 6 speed adaptive auto is a joy -- this is my wife's first automatic car, and she has no regrets.

HD radio -- WHO KNEW? There are so many stations in our big town (Cincinnati) that have HD2 channels of completely new and different stuff -- even AM sounds better for Pete's sake.

The only typical option (typical for my wife) not on the thing is the upgraded radio speakers -- but we had it on the 2005 and compared the standard to the upgraded, even using our own CD (U2 rattle and hum) and noticed what would appear to be an upgrade in the base system (more bass, actually) and since she listens mostly to Sirius, which, good as it is, is still compressed audio -- didn't see the need for the upgrade.

Instead went with a $475 paint upgrade and the SAV package (not the sport package -- and my fillings and kidneys are so glad.)

The interior -- the two tone leather option -- looks more upscale than the somewhat coarse and, er, rugged interior of the 2005 vintage. The dash is so much nicer, I'll guess they brought out the first crappy dash (although at the time it was OK) perhaps because no one ever expect the X3 to be such a brisk seller (at least here in the moderate snowy region of the US, it is.)

Accessory: custom kleen wheels which keeps those SAV package 18" wheels looking shiny, never dull.

Tires: Pirellis -- HP All seasons -- only comment so far, THEY ARE STONE SILENT.

Heated steering wheel, very nice -- too bad it is not offered with the sport package.

A pushbutton smart key and back up camera (which is offered aftermarket, don't you know) would be sweet, too.

Needs a factory standard alarm system at this price ($49K).

All in all, for $632 per month, 36 months 48K miles (we prepaid the miles and the state sales tax on the lease, no sec dep, first month's payment) -- a very nice upgrade from the 2005.

The X6 is now here -- and, truth be told, it is too big. My hope and dream is that the replacement X3 has the "8/10's X6 look," the 300 HP i6 turbo engine and a 7 speed auto offered and here in 2011 just as the wife gets her new car at that time.

All in all, very very pleased.

People carp about the MSRP -- and I agree.

But, an Acadia lease with a sec dep is about the same -- BMW subvents these leases so the MSRP is somewhat not relevant, unless, of course, you are buying -- then they stick it to you, from a certain point of view :surprise:
  • x5mex5me Member Posts: 3
    am wondering if anyone out there might have an idea what is wrong with my x5 its a 2001 4.4 i recently changed the alternator after that it has been leaking a lot of anti freeze its coming from somewhere between the engine & the transmission while am driving it its okay it does not leak but when i park it for about 15 to 1/2 hr it starts to leak the anti freexe can anyone help me please or has anyone had this problem before?
    Your truck has a water cooled alternator. If the problem began immediately after that repair, I'd suggest checking to see if the o-ring sealing gasket(Part #3 in this diagram) was damaged upon reassembly.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . .then they stick it to you, from a certain point of view."

That would be, from above and behind. If one has the appropriate tatoo, they can enjoy the view while they're at it.

Glad to hear your family is enjoying the new X3, but having just bought (yeah, I never learn) a new vehicle, having driven the old one most of eight years, I'm still interested in that piece of the puzzle.

Most aren't, I realize.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • x5mex5me Member Posts: 3
    hey roadrunner thank you for that response i actually already checked that and that part is completely dried any more ideas any other places i could check?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    We've had our '07 X3 3.0siA since the end of July '07 and my wife really likes it! She's been piling on the miles working and shuttling out 18 month old son around, so we've been using my '01 Prelude Type SH as our weekend/family vehicle (as long as we don't have too much stuff). I actually got to drive the X3 around town today and forgot how much I really enjoy driving it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The 3.0si is so peppy!
    We've had our '07 X3 3.0siA since the end of July '07 and my wife really likes it!

My wife still likes her '04, but I think she'd really prefer a 128i or a Mini Cooper S Clubman. Maybe when our son starts driving the X3...

This time around I wanted to keep our car payments low (even though I know leasing is more expensive long term). At $471.67 per month (0 cap cost reduction, 36 months, 15K per year) our very lightly optioned (but not lightly equipped) '07 X3 is a great deal for a truck that stickered for a little less than $41K.

I'm a big believer in the fact that cars are very well made and if properly (read: anally) maintained should last between 8 & 10 years.

When our lease is up, we'll be looking to buy our next vehicle. Maybe a Passat Wagon or A4 2.0T Avant. I'd consider another X3 too.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• bmw4lifebmw4life Member Posts: 4
    "love the Touch Signalling -- dealer sales didn't even know about it, in fact claimed it did not work on the X3 since it doesn't have iDrive."

What do you mean by touch signalling? Can you please explain? I have an 08 X3 also, but would like to have the same feature as you.

I've seen the angel eyes as the daytime running light on the 328 and 335 coupes, also the new X5s. I am wondering why the X3 has the dim yellow light instead. It will be cool to have the daytime running angel eyes.
    :P
    Touch Signalling: a light tap up or down on the signal stalk and the blinker blinks 3 times. I have had it for years on my Audi and all the 5 series Bimmers we have been loaned always have it -- so I asked for it to be turned on, and they did.

The angel eyes, too, are on our car and they and the DRL's are now on the moment the key is turned to the ON position.

We had the auto door lock feature turned on, too.

There are a bunch of dealer only turn on features (controlled by idrive in other BMW's,) they are detailed in the manual.

The voice command is listed as "separate manual" -- there is NO separate manual -- it is just there and you can say "help" and it will list the commands it understands.

Pretty cool, even works with the blackberry my wife is never without.

"Dial number:

etc etc etc"
    ANGEL EYES are the DRLs if you have XENON headlights.

• 928928 Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone using regular gasoline for your X3? I read the owner's manual , it said premium Gasoline AKi 91 is higly recommended. However, you may also use gasoline with a lower AKI rating, the minimum AKi rating is 87.

I am using premium gas now, but with gas price keep raising, if I could use regular, it will save me about $30 a month. Any advises? Mine is a 3 year leased car.
  • alaskan_otteralaskan_otter Member Posts: 28
    My service adviser said I could get by with the mid-grade gas, so I stopped using premium a year ago. I bought my X3, so I'm not going to chance putting in the cheapest fuel. I want the car to last awhile - and with no car payment, I can afford the higher gas costs. From what I was told, the car has sensors that detect things relating to the fuel, so I'll continue to use either mid or premium just so that the car operates on its best level.
    I am using premium gas now, but with gas price keep raising, if I could use regular, it will save me about $30 a month. Any advises? Mine is a 3 year leased car.

Yes. Use premium fuel. That is what the motor was designed for. If you use a cheaper grade the ECU will roll back the timing to adjust and the usual result is a decrease in fuel economy. You probably don't want to hear this either, but using a Top Tier gasoline is also a good idea.