Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

Comments

• auburnbluauburnblu Member Posts: 18
    cwo4, congrats on the SLS. Just bought an S-10 with the $3,000 rebate myself. Add that in to the package discount on options on the two vehicles and it was an incredible deal. My only gripe after 4,200 miles is the fuel tank seems to go from 1/4 to about empty within 10-15 miles, just think there is a sensor problem. Otherwise love the truck as a commuter vehicle. Be glad you got a 2001. Check out the price bump with similar equipment on the 2002s.
  • 96flea96flea Member Posts: 38
    Save that $3000 cause yer gonna need it for future breakdowns and car rentals.
    The S-10 and Sonoma are about as low tech and simple as you can get transportation-wise, I have no worries about breakdowns or problems. Now Jason, I realize you're a Ford guy, I have a 2000 8 foot bed 5.4 XL F-150, but hey a good deal is a good deal. The S-10 was bought solely as a cheap commuter vehicle. Though I did notice that the Ranger now has a $2,500 rebate and the F-150s have a $1,500 rebate with 3.9% APR financing. Also very good deals.
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    I also had a 95 F-150 and a 98 Ranger. Liked them both. The deal I got on the Sonoma was particularly good, totaling almost $4K below sticker. The local Ford dealer didn't try very hard to sell me a new Ranger, the GMC dealer did. I'm not anti-Ford, anti-Toyota or anti anybody. I am cost conscious though, and 3 years and 36,000 miles is plenty of time to judge the character of the truck.
  • 96flea96flea Member Posts: 38
    I do agree that Rangers are $$$$$$! But my Ranger that i bought was an odd ball. Its a Splash w/4.0, auto, reg. cab. Thing is i was told all Splashes come w/power windows & power locks. Mine has niether. Also 98 Rangers w/4.0 came w/ 5speed automatics. Well, my 96 has a 5 speed tranny. I like it cause no fancy stuff on it at all. It does have air and cruize. Guess i got a good deal on it. I bought it at a Chevy dealer for $9000 in Nov. of 99. Funny thing was is it was in a parking lot with nothing but full size Chevy pick-ups. Couldn't even see the Ranger once looking down that line of Chevys'.
    For some reason the Splashes haven't held their value initially. Maybe the Edge model will do better. But it is a stylish truck no doubt about it. I seem to remember the 5-speed automatic coming around maybe in 1999 or 2000, don't think the 98's had them. I agree that a ranger or S-10 can get "lost" among the behemoths, but parking one is definitely a lot easier. My LB F-150 is a terror to drive in the big city. Another reason why I like my S-10.

Chevy and GMC did enjoy a price advantage for 2001, but it appears that this has changed for 2002. With the Ranger now looking like the better deal.
  • jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    Buy an Xtreme,ZR2 or Crew Cab and your only option (other than the 4 cyl Xtreme) appears to be what radio you want, they come fully loaded.

All extra cabs have the "love it or hate it" your getting a 3rd door. No 4 door extra cab. DOH!

Its a way to save money and speed up production I'm sure. Looks like the new S10 will be here in 2003.
  • cwo4cwo4 Member Posts: 90
    2.2 liter, 5 speed. I continue to love this truck. 23 combined mpg, really comfortable with the lumbar adjustment, AC that gets you cold even on 95 plus days, great stereo and CD. Built well, no squeaks or rattles (yet). Like the TV Ad says about the Chevy S-10 "Like a Rock" and just as fast. The only complaint I have is the shift advisory light that comes on when it wants you to upshift. Is there an easy way to disable this function without voiding your warranty or messing with the wiring? Otherwise, I'm as happy as can be. My wife even likes the truck. Life is good!
  • jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    You could always disassemble the dash to get to the gauge cluster and put electrical tape or something heavy duty and not too noticeable over the shift light...
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hi everyone. I am new to this group, and my name is Tom.

I just bought a 1989 S-10 SWB, regular cab, two wheel drive truck that had 134,500 miles on it. It was a rebuilt truck that had been totalled by an insurance company.

The dealer that I bought it from told me that the damage was strictly comestic damage and that the truck should be fine. (It doesn't take much damage on such an old truck to have it totalled by an insurance company.)

I've had the truck since July 16th, and I absolutely love it! After the dealer repaired all the damage, that truck looks almost new!

I have already put 1800 miles on it, and it has not used a drop of oil. I get anywhere from 23 to 24 MPG in my normal commuting, a drive of 27 miles each way. The last tank of gas included one longer trip in addition to a few trips to work, and I got 25.6 MPG!

The truck has the 2.8 V6 with a five speed tranny.

It holds the road real well, with no pulling to either side and no wandering around. Drives like a new one!

I am totally happy with it, and I only paid $2450.00 for it with tax and all!

If you would like to see a pic, go to the jeep wrangler owners club and look in the photo gallery section. ( I own a 2001 Jeep Wrangler and am a member of the wrangler owners club. ) You ain't gonna believe how nice that truck looks for one that is 12 years old.

I think rebuilt is the way to go for an old truck, if you have a rebuilder that you can trust.
    I'll bet that truck would have cost $1000 more if it had not been a rebuild.

tom
    Does anyone know of a message board dedicated to older S-10's or just to older trucks in general?

tom
    Is this typical of this group? Here I am all excited about my little S-10 and wanting to exchange posts with others, and no one is posting!

Can someone tell me where there is an active message board for S-10 owners?

tom
  • whiteandproudwhiteandproud Member Posts: 4
    99 S-10 3rd door LS
    The 3rd door latch cable broke in a week. Both reclining levers have broke. Spark plug cable burned out. Left front bearings fell apart. Left front brake went out @ 32000 miles. 3rd seat rattles. All but brakes and rattle have been under warenty. trading in for yota.
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    The edmunds.com site lists the following information under "What's New for 2002" for the S-10:
    "Additional standard features are added to the S-10 for 2002 including a tachometer, air conditioning and a third door for extended-cab models. Vehicles sold in Northern states also get the Cold Weather package as standard equipment."

As for reviews, have had my 2000 extended cab with V-6 since new; bought it in June 2000. Loaded with air, power everything, automatic, CD, LS decor package, bedliner, alloys, third door, etc. Added a power sunroof and a bedliner a month after buying the truck. Love this truck!!!! MINOR glitches; had more trouble getting service from the selling dealer than I have had with the truck itself. Found a new dealer for service; problem solved! BUY! BUY! BUY!

By the way, I DID look at the Ranger and owned a Ranger in '92. Liked the '92; HATED the 2000 Ranger. The seats in the new Ranger look like they came out of a Metro subway car or bus---UGH! The Ranger interior looks like Ford spent $1.98 designing it.
    I was just saying that for '02 theres alot more standard and the way GM is making options available for the S10.....let me order an Xtreme and replace the ZQ8 for the Z85 and let GM keep the ground effects and I'd be happy.

I have a '99 S10 I have owned since new, 6 miles on it when I bought it. Mine is also loaded, V6, Auto, posi, AC, LS, CD, etc great truck.
    I didn't see any edmunds discussions for older S-10's, so I started one. It is called "Older S-10's." Pretty imaginative name, huh?

I invite all who are interested to participate. The more the merrier.

tom
    420 of 517 dravo by dravo Jan 27, 2001 (04:12 pm)
    I have a 93 S-10 and this week the
    odometer turned 410,000 miles and I
    have had to fix nothing but items
    that come with normal wear and tear.

Dravo, if you are still around after all this time since your post, I would sure like to hear more about your '93 S-10!

I have recently bought an 89 S-10 with 134,500 miles on it, so stories like yours are certianly good to hear.

I would love to know which engine you have and what type of service the truck has seen. Also, what oil change interval and what type of oil have you used?

If you would like, please post your response in the new discussion, "Older S-10's." You would be the "star" of that group!

Thanks

tom
  • the5carthe5car Member Posts: 26
    You asked earlier about a forum for S-10 owners...

Try this: http://www.s-series.org/phpBB/index.php

Also, I have a '97 2.2 5 speed that just turned

over 145,000....the only repairs so far have

been a fan clutch and the rear u-joint, along

with the usual wipers, oil changes, plugs, coolant, serpentine belt, tires, etc....

So far, I'm content with my S-10...

Thanks! I'm at work right now, but I will check out that link later.

Please join us in the new group I started, "Older S-10's" here in edmunds.

Terry Labonte fan, I presume????

tom
    WOW! MAN! Thanks a gazillion for that link! I checked it out and registered just now. There's a world of S-10 stuff there.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

tom
  • the5carthe5car Member Posts: 26
    Glad you found that site enjoyable....there's
    alot of great tips to be found over there, and
    you really can get help from time to time...

I'll take a look at your 'older S-10' forum,
    but as you can see, I have a 1997 model, so
    it's really not that old...

And yes, I am a Terry Labonte fan...can't wait
    for the Richmond race tomorrow night, 'cause
    I'll be sittin' on the back stretch comin' out
    of turn 2 !!!
    Thanks for your post in "Older S-10's." I know that a '97 isn't considered old, but it was nice of you to come over and post.

I'm trying to get that discussion off the ground, and you know how it goes... posts breed posts, so I appreciate any and all posts over there.

Have fun at the race! I wish your man well, as long as he is behind the 88. Yep, I'm a Jarrett fan. You'll just have to forgive me for rooting for a Ford.

tom
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    hearing all this and seeing Edmunds and other sites saying "spotty build quality" and such, have made me waver on my choice of a new s-10...are they really that bad?
    let me explain. i am looking for a new truck...a stripped down one which i can get great mileage and be able to do work on my house with and transport hunting and fishing supplies. i also commute quite a ways and i tend to hang onto vehicles and drive them until they sputter and kill themselves in the driveway for fear of going yet another mile. :)
    so my choices are Ford Ranger with the new 4 cylinder, and the s-10 with the 2.2.
    i want a manual tranny, air conditioning, cloth seats, and maybe a CD player. any suggestions or preferences? i could also use info regarding which engine is best.
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Has any one found out the actual fix for when you have heat with everything turned off.
  • robsworldrobsworld Member Posts: 1
    I've had my '96 S-10 ext. cab V6 2WD for 4 yrs. now. It now has just over 68,000 miles and I've loved every minute of this truck and had no major problems. The A/C crapped out in '99 requiring a new compressor. Thankfully, I bought an ext. warranty which covered all $800 of repair minus $100 deductible. Well worth the $$$$.

The only gripe I have with this truck is the 3rd door rattles. Mine sounded like metallic fingernails being scraped across a blackboard on every bump in the road. I took the panel off the 3rd door and greased the metal clips and reinstalled the panel. That seemed to help quite a bit. The interior parts are a little on the cheap side. Whenever someone closed the passenger door, the plastic panel at top of armrest popped off into the floor. A little "Super Glue" applied to the clips took care of this embarrassing problem. Overall, I'd say the truck is a good value, despite it's minor comestic flaws. I just paid GMAC off early, so this truck looks even better than before!!!!! A couple of friends liked my truck so much, they went out and bought S-10's of their own. I would definately recommend the Vortec V6 over the "4 banger" anyday.

I read somebody's post about the stock Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires and I agree about the poor traction they offer. Mine almost caused me to lose control on some wet leaves once, so if you have them, be careful on wet surfaces. I just replaced the Tiger Paws last week (68K miles, not bad)& replaced them w/ Michelins. The difference is like night and day. Much better ride, quieter and the truck actually grips the pavement when it's wet.

This has been (and continues to be) a great little truck for my needs and I'd definately consider buying a new one when needed.
  • fst1fst1 Member Posts: 18
    Just wanted to let all you S10 fans know that I have just posted a picture of the 2004 Colorado in my Future Telling section of Edmunds.com "Colorado" will take over for the S10 as Chevrolet's compact truck. Engines will most likely be four, five, and six cylinder versions of the 4.2-liter six that debuted in the TrailBlazer.

To find Future Telling, go to the "Reviews" section, scroll down and look to the bottom right. Click "Go" and it will take you to the intro page that contains the Colorado as well as other spy pictures.

Best regards,

Ed Hellwig
    Road Test Editor- Edmunds.com
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A LOT of folks would love to have your job!

Hey, it's Friday! Just a reminder that the Friday Freeway Chat & Trivia Game chat is on tonight (5-6pm Pacific/8-9 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/freewaychat.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• meistermanmeisterman Member Posts: 7
    I own a 00 S10 ext cab 4 cyl with only 8000 miles on it. I purchased it brand new for around 14500 with tax and licence. I wanted to know what the trade in value would be, i checked KBB but i dout the dealer would give me 12500 for it. Wondering because I want to trade it in for another S10 but the 6 cyl cause the 4 banger is a joke so if anyone knows what a dealer would give me that would help. thanks
    Less than you would accept,i'v been there,sell it out right.
  • meistermanmeisterman Member Posts: 7
    i have 2000 4 banger s10, probably wont sell it or trade, thanks for the info. I was wondering if i lift it 3 in and put some 30x9.5 does it take away from the power because of the bigger tires. Do you guys think it would be worth it to do these mods, just wondering. Thanks
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Yes, a lift and bigger tires will make it even more of one, due in large part to the weight of the wheels and tires and the change in the drive ration.(OR something like that I THINK thats what its called.) I am by no means an expert on these matters so Im sure there are people who could give you more technical details, but I do believe bigger wheels and tires tires sap power by changing gear ratios and adding unsprung weight. Though you might be able to mitigate some of the power loss by changine the gearing. However, I still wouldn't bother.

My question: Any S10 crew cab owners in here? Im asking out of curiosity because Ive seen a total of zero on the road, and Im just wondering if they're simply not selling or just not selling in the areas I travel, Baltimore and Philly. Are people holding off because of the upcoming redesign, maybe hoping the TrailBlazer's in-line six will be offred in the next generation S10?
  • jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    Hi all, I am looking for some tires real soon to replace my tiger paws... Anyone have suggestions on what brand to look for??? Also, thinking about getting some wider tires than from the stock tires... Anyone know what is the largest tire i can install? I have the stock P205/75R15 tires on 15x7 brushed aluminum wheels combo. Really want some tires that will perform well on-road and in wet conditions with good treadwear. Thanks
    Your post was on Oct. 9th, so I apologize for this late response (I have not been checking in here lately).

You would defintiely see a loss of acceleration with the bigger tires, assuming you don't change your rear end gearing.

The larger tires would have the same net effect as going to a higher rear end ratio. Every rotation of those back tires propels the truck a distance equal to the circumference of the tire. This means that you are trying to move the truck a little further with each rotation of the bigger tires than you are with the regular tires. Well, this means that more energy is required, but the engine isn't producing any more power just because you have bigger tires, so the net effect is loss of acceleration.

tom
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    These Dunlops have a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty, and the survey says they perform well in dry and wet on-road conditions. I'm not sure about your other question.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_rrat.jsp

• leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I have a 1997 S-10, short box, 4x4. Bought it brand new, and it now has 28,000 miles.
    It had a noticeable vibration when new, and the dealer danced around a "tire balance" problem before they finally caved in to my demands for a new driveshaft. That fixed the vibration.
    Later on, they had to replace the engine belt tensioner (noisy) and replace the brake pedal/ shifter release solenoid (couldn't shift out of park). Lately, the truck's been OK, but overall, the fuel mileage could be better, and in reality, those are somewhat serious problems for such low mileage vehicle.
    One thing I wanted to caution everyone about is extended warranties. I bought a new car, as well as this truck, within 18 months of each other at Doyle Chevrolet, in Webster, NY. At the time of both sales, Doyle was selling extended warranties through First Extended Service Corp. out of Dallas, TX.
    Both salespeople at Doyles swore up and down, that these warranties were better that the GM extended warranty. The reason given was that if you didn't have to use the warranty, at the end of the six year period you'd get a refund of your money. That's the way the warranty is set up, they both told me.
    To make a long story short, the car is now six years old, and I didn't have to use the warranty. I called the dealership, and talked with the salesman. Now, all of a sudden, he asks to see a copy of the "letter" that I supposedly recieved stating that the "refund offer" was in effect when I bought the car. Naturally, I never recieved any such letter, and of course the warranty isn't automatically set up that way. Funny how a story can change in six years, isn't it ?? I can only imagine what they're going to say when the six year period is up on the truck, in February of 2003.
    One point to be clear about, however, is that this seems to be a dealer problem. The warranty company tells me that they NEVER offered refunds, but they had heard of dealers doing it as a "hook" to sell the warranty.
    Anyway, buyers beware, especially at Doyles in Webster, NY
    I think someone was in a similar situation here before. An extended warranty is a profit-padder, a dealer's way to add to the bottum line by gambling you'll never have to make good on it. Why would they just give it back? That would totally defeat the purpose ot taking more of your money without giving you anything extra in return. I would never trust any salesperson who promised me a refund on an extended warranty if I never made a claim.
    Part of the explanation went something like this: "You pay for the extended coverage upfront, the warranty company invests your money for six years, earns a profit on it, so if you don't make any claims........"
    It would be a pretty good way to sell extended warranties by removing the grounds for the first usual customer objection that they're spending all that money for something they may never need.
    Last weekend, I was talking with one of my wife's friends, and of course I'm bad mouthing the Chevy dealer to everyone I know....
    Anyway, she tells me that she was shopping for a new car for her mother 8-10 weeks ago, and their dealer made them a similar offer regarding the money back deal. Thinking that I might be on to something regarding my problem, I gave that dealer a call and spoke with their waranty/finance person.
    Unfortunately for me, they deal with a different warranty company. However, she told me that they do indeed offer a money back deal if you don't have to make any claims during the extended term. The difference, according to her, is that they ACTUALLY give it to you in writing, as opposed to the folks at Doyle Chevrolet, who make promises but then renege on them.
    So, it appears that there are some warranties that actually work that way.
  • lefty65lefty65 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned my 1993 S-10 Ext. Cab 4x4 for 6 years. Bought it with 57,000 miles on it.
    It now has nearly 122,000. 4.3L V-6, Auto. This truck has been great! In 6 years, the only things I've replaced on it are: Battery ($70) , Alternator ($180) at around 100,000 miles, heater core ($100), starter cable $30 (corroded), and the vacuum switch ($180) for the transfer case (engages the 4wd).
    That's it! $560.00 over 6 years.

Of course, tires, hoses, oil, and other fluids too; normal stuff.

I consider this very economical, and minor over that period of time, especially since this is no suburbanite truck; I've used the heck out of it for everything.

My only complaints to GM are : no intermittent wipers! What a pain, at times, to not have them. Also, the high-beam indicator light is blinding at night. The engine pulls the weight everytime, but the acceleration is lacking due to the poor-man's fuel injection (throttle-body injection), unless you put your foot into it and it downshift into first.

It's just now starting to have small rust spots around the wheel openings of the fenders.

It's been a good truck..
    Hi! Just thought I would let you know about a discussion thread that I started a while back. It's called "Older S-10's." Your post would certainly be a natural for that thread. Please join us over there... we need posters!

Thanks

tom
  • mdm4mdm4 Member Posts: 33
    What type of spark plugs would be best in my 98 s-10, it has a 4cyl, with a 5spd?
    I just put a set of Bosch platinum +4's in my 97 S-10. They're not cheap, but they seem to work quite well.
    The AC platinum are about the same price Bosch 4.I have used regulator Bosch platinum in the 2.2 engine and they are less than $2.each,worked ok for me.
  • fourgivn1fourgivn1 Member Posts: 13
    I'm just now getting ready to trade in my S-10 towards a Dakota. I made the (big) mistake of getting the 4-banger S-10, 2000 model. Granted, getting any 4-banger was probably wrong, but I'm 'impressed' with how little power the S-10's has. I've had mine for 40K miles, and I have to say that other than the fact that the Tiger Paws SUCKED - which is why I bought Bridgestone Dueler's almost immediately after I got the truck, the only real problems I have had are the quality of the interior. The interior squeaks like a family of mice, and there is a rattle that comes from the general vicinity of the front right speaker that NO ONE knows how to fix. If I had to do it all over again I might have gotten the S-10, but not without a V6 and probably a 4x4 package.
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    From the messages I've read in Edmunds and other forums, it seems there are quite a few lemon Dakotas running around. From the owner's comments, you either get one that is great, or is very problem-prone, and no in between. As if that isn't bad enough, the Dodge dealers also have a lot to learn about customer service.

While I have also run into Chevy dealers that I thought GM should fire and take their dealership franchise away, I get the impression that many Dodge dealers are even worse. If you do buy a Dakota, find a five-star dealership; some of them are much better than other Dodge dealerships.

If you want a compromise, why not check out a GMC Sonoma? When I was shopping around, I liked the GMC better than the Chevy, but I bought an S-10 because none of the GMC dealers in the area had a Sonoma with V-6 and automatic in stock.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up buying!

Joe
  • tommctommc Member Posts: 66
    Have to agree with the above post on that four cylinder. Had a 97 and learned my lesson the hard way. My truck was pretty shabby in many other respects too, but the engine was the killer. I can't believe any car company would put such a miserable power plant in a truck. Expensive lesson in my case.
    I drove a 4 cyl S10....briefly. Put the A/C on left the lot and no way, I didnt care how much more the insurance was gonna be for the V6, this thing was slow.

I also bought a 4.3 V6 S10 and its a great truck.
  • mdm4mdm4 Member Posts: 33
    Would a tonneau cover or cap installed on my 1998 S-10 improve my gas mileage? If so, which would you guys recommend? Thanks and have a great X-Mas.
    No to both and putting the tail gate down won't either.I have a 99 Sonoma that gets 29 mpg,of course its a 4 cyl & i'm retired and in no rush.
This discussion has been closed.