Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• MLB6MLB6 Member Posts: 12
    Simply put, buying a BMW is like rolling a dice, but only once. You could get a six, or to PP and myself, we got one's. That's too bad, and it's the reality. PP you asked too many questions, all the questions you have on the transmission and drive... you are not the only one, and probably not the last. But the problem here is that the answers are already all here in the internet, you just failed to connect the dots.

To make the Lemon Law work for you, the LL Lawyer would do all the work for you. Don't worry about intermittent, whether they are all the same or not. The LL Lawyer just need to send a notice to BMWNA and trust me, this saga of your's will be over in no time. Without the LL Lawyer, they won't care less. LL is the ONLY weak spot for BMW. You don't need to know anything, simple as that. We are just interested if you have talked to a LL Lawyer or not. If not, why not?
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    I take your meaning regarding the LL's but I don't understand what you mean by asking too many questions.
    PP, LIFE IS TOO SHORT to drive a car full of imperfections in the driving, not to mention cars with defects that are permanent.

I don't know why anyone would want to buy a car that has a good possibility of being born with driving issues. And why they would consider buying such a car with so many possibilities of potential future problems down the road? I don't care about the reward of owning a properly functioning BMW when they have such little quality controls over the making of their products, and having problems that cannot be fixed immediately and in the first time. Life is too short to have to have to explain the problems and tolerate the pathetic look on their faces, questioning you "Problems? What Problems?" And life is too short to have to deal with such crappy customer service in a "premium car company".

Life is too short to deal with such companies that do not stand behind their products. And would not even come out and DEFEND what they said their company stands for or how their product is supposed to mean what they said it means.

You asked: "I don't understand what you mean by asking too many questions" That's because hearing all your complaints, you're still questioning this or that, like whether you can go LL, whether some behavior are "normal" or not. My response: if Lemon Law cannot apply in your situation, I don't know what LL is supposed to be for. LL was made to force carmakers to take back their Lemon Vehicles without the need for the company to answer any questions. Life is too short, go LL or take your loss right away. Questioning is a waste of time.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Fortunately, the X3 is NOT such a vehicle. Bought my wife's X3 in February 09 (2009 model) and so far it is the BEST new car ever in my family, and there have been many.

I just bought a new Mercedes C300 last month and had to take it back for a few minor issues, which has been the case in every car I've ever owned EXCEPT the X3, which arrived with ZERO DEFECTS and at 18,000 miles remains absolutely trouble-free.

Our X3 has been so good that I seriously considered getting another one instead of the Mercedes.
    My 2009 X3:

- fails to accelerate from a stop.
    - surges for no reason on flat roads.
    - stops short during deceleration.
    - bounces several times for no apparent reason.
    - bucks and sways for no apparent reason.
    - fails to find R.
    - fails to find a gear, goes back and forth causing bucking
    - Etc, etc, etc....

These are all intermittent problems but now the X3 is developing brand new ones that are unrelated to either the transmission or the suspension.

The dealer's answer for the transmission problems - drive in continually in SD mode.

What kind of an answer is that for a brand new, seriously expensive car?

:sick: :sick: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • BaitBait Member Posts: 12
    I'm serious as a heart attack. I've been through this with them. I played their game by their rules and, well, let's put it this way. Would I be posting this if the outcome was pleasant?

The ONLY answer is a Lemon Law attorney. Before you say it, you're right, who the hell wants to go there....but I'm serious....you either get one now or keep sending that check in month after month as your "days in the shop" continue to pile up until they've got you past the point of no return with respect to the law. The dealer has NOTHING to do with BMWNA. Forget the dealer, period. They're independent and will stand firmly that to distance themselves from this issue, and believe me, they know this is an issue as I've had service managers tell me about this problem as well as people on the sales floor, but, they can't do anything about it because the issue is directly with BMWNA.
    Exactly what keeps BMWNA or the dealer (who depends on BMW exclusively after all) from claiming that there is NO PROBLEM?

The LL kick in after 4 attempts at a fix. If they keep insisting there is NO PROBLEM then they can run out the 12 month clock and wash their hands of this stinking *** car.

:lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Question: "Exactly what keeps BMWNA or the dealer (who depends on BMW exclusively after all) from claiming that there is NO PROBLEM?" Another question again PP?... although not exactly a bad question. What they are REALLY telling you, is that according to BMW head office, the symptoms you have are "common" or "normal" (but doesn't mean they all have them). And if you need to resolve this, you should use LL. But as a dealer, they cannot tell that to you explicitly.

PP, Seems like you are so motivated to find the truth, perhaps you can do something about this and REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE by writing to Washington. Urging them to start an investigation on what's really behind this behavior from BMW, BMWNA and the dealers.

Quote: "If they keep insisting there is NO PROBLEM then they can run out the 12 month clock and wash their hands of this stinking *** car." That's why we've been telling anyone here who would listen, rather then keep asking questions... But no, don't fall into BMW's game plan, and go directly to the LL Lawyers. The lawyers will tell you that while the dealer told you "NO PROBLEM", this will not diminish your rights under the Lemon Laws.
    There are 38 complaints on the 2007 X3 - not all transmission - on the NHTSA ODI website. That SHOULD be Washington DC. I have no idea what they do with that information other than store it and mull it over.

It takes people dying for anyone to take notice. Heart-thumping inability to accelerate, short stopping, almost getting into accidents, etc. simply don't make the grade.
    It takes people dying for anyone to take notice. Heart-thumping inability to accelerate, short stopping, almost getting into accidents, etc. simply don't make the grade.

********And there's your answer!
    What?
    What?

"What" is death.

What's the cost of blowing it off vs. the cost of paying a negligence suit when someone gets killed? Nothing like someone else rolling the dice with my life. Doesn't it give you that nice fuzzy feeling?! I don't think they're going to like the publicity (with all this being dredged up) once that happens.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Just ranting about a problem (pp2009pp) in 20-30 posts, but never DOING anything about it, or even acknowledging others helpful suggestions, really makes me wonder.

We get it! you got a bmw w/problems, you're Stuck & you're Steamin'. But you're just wasting peoples time here when you don't even consider their suggestions to deal with it, & apparently aren't doing much yourself, besides endless complaining.......Why should anyone here keep trying to be helpful???
    I know what the options are. I'm not expecting people who have no idea what I am talking about to be helpful. I am looking for people who experience what I do and who know what is wrong with the car.

Believe it or not, THAT is helpful to me.
    "Dear SM:

Thank you for your time last night. Could you share with your shop foreman (sorry his name escapes me) the information below and have him verify that what I experience with the transmission of the X3 is explained as he did last night.

Lack of immediate throttle response - this is an electronically controlled transmission (as opposed to a cable) and the brain needs a second or so to think and send an instruction to the transmission for a response

Lack of acceleration or feel of not getting out of the way during corner or turn (binding feeling) - this is the stability control taking over and not allowing the car to accelerate so that the driver does not experience under or over steer

Feeling every gear change as the car up shifts - BMW engineers their cars so that the drivers "feel" the car. They could program this out but its a conscious choice to give a feel to the vehicle

Hard shifting and binding feel when in traffic - BMW has a 1-2 1-2 transmission lock that if it senses consecutive shifts from 1st gear to 2nd, back to 1st and into 2nd it will lock into 2nd gear as a way to "save fuel" during stop and go traffic.

Binding and noticeable down shifting when rolling to a stop - this is a characteristic of the AWD. You feel things because the front transmission mechanisms are still turning. "

---- from another forum and interesting take on all the problems.

So, apparently, these aren't actual problems but are design features that someone actually sat down and decided were a good idea to include in a vehicle. What is binding? Is binding the same as short stopping?

So the X3 can have stability control or acceleration on turns but not both?

So the lower end X3 provides heavy (clunking) gear shifting while the higher end 5's do not on purpose? What?

So the X3, in order to save a little fuel, provides hard shifting or lack of acceleration on purpose? What?

Oh goodness.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Let me get this straight. A hugh number of people who have this AT "issue" have been told by BMW that the vehicle operates "as designed"....that this is "normal" and on and on and on yet BMW continues to shuffle these people into the service department for never ending software updates (and in my case, other hardware that wasn't operating properly). There are some of us with over 30 "in shop" days.

Here's what baffles me. Why would you have to continually "fix" a non-existent problem? Why you would have to continually "fix" that which is operating "as designed"....or operating "normal"? In my opinion, despite the rhetoric, having us come back time and time again is an admission that none of this is "Normal" (that along with the large number of BMW dealership people who've already admitted the problem exists). Of course, we know it's not ("normal"), but my question is this. Isn't this enough, given the size of this issue and the people it's effecting, for a class action suit?
    If you have over 30 days in shop, you might be able to claim :lemon: status depending on the laws in your state.

The rumor is that another update is coming soon but that may be just wishful thinking on the part of those who get all the customer complaints.

The noreverse.org people have it even worse IMO. I don't see any recent updates on a class action suit.

Honestly, if this is 'as designed' it is time to find other designers because none of this stuff shows up in the 3 and 5 sedans that I have driven. It is interesting that you say you have mechanical problems. People were saying that the AT problems are worse in cold weather which seems to point to something more than just sw.

Have you ever tried the MT mode? I haven't found anything on how well that functions in AT as few people who opt for an automatic seem to want to try that out.
    Nope...they told me to pound salt. I worked with them for a long time, i.e. doing it their way....trying to work within the system. I had service managers admitting to the problem. Of course, one of the reasons they admitted all this to me was out of embarrasment over the way I was being treated...and that treatment seems to be the same as others have received. I had this notion, stupid me, they cared. After all, I wasn't driving a KIA. That's why I've told people to not to waste a second getting legal help. They know how long they can string this out until you are D.O.A. It would take both hands to count the number of cars I would probably have purchased from them in the future. I wonder who the marketing genius is at BMW.
    That makes the X3 in its 7th year of production. In other words, if it ain't broke......

Again, 2009 X3 is BY FAR the best new car my family has ever seen, better even than my 2009 Mercedes C300. ZERO DEFECTS, ZERO ISSUES, TERRIFIC DRIVE!!!!
    I agree with your frustration. The X3 is doing nothing to help BMW's image. The suspension problems and the herky-jerky transmission in a premium car are absurd.

I have been driving BMWs for a long time and I wish I had gone with Lexus this time around.

I have heard all the nonsensical statements from the self-proclaimed BMW fans. The reality is that I have driven the 5s and the 3s and the sedans drive NOTHING like the X3. They have transmissions that shift smoothly and firm/sporty but not bouncy suspensions.

Exactly how hard is it for a big manufacturer to make a slightly taller 3 series that drives like it should? They have received lots of bad reviews and now I can see why.

They were supposed to have fixed the suspension in 2005 and then again in 2007 and my 2009 drives like ****. They went to a new transmission in 2007 and supposedly have another (rumor) fix in 2010.

In the meantime, the frustrated customer ends up having to spend an unbelievable amount of time trying to figure out what is poor design and what is actual defect. What a mess.

What a blooming mess.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    What does that matter to those of us who have cars that drive like ****?

You are lucky although if you are comparing it to MB then I will say that isn't much of a comparison. MB has had reliability problems for a long time and I wouldn't touch any of them with a 10 foot pole.

I do not doubt that your car is fine from your perspective but you seem to doubt that other X3's are **** from our perspective. Do you really think we want to waste gobs of time putzing around with brand new cars like this?

I should be able to pick up a new BMW and have it drive perfectly. Sure, there can be a glitch or two but I am talking about the heart of the car: the suspension and the transmission.

Don't even get me start about the window-fogging HVAC.
  • patc3080patc3080 Member Posts: 4
    Is there nothing else to do with a tranny troubled 07 x3? Is anything going on regarding a class action suit? I can't believe BMW put out this terrible performing 6 speed auto transmission out for public consumption without some research.
    FWIW people seem to be handling this problem individually. Some have said that they made a deal to turn in their malfunctioning AT for an MT or had it bought back in its entirety. I do not know for sure what is true and what is just babbling on the internet.

At any rate, no one can tell me what the difference is between an actual MT and driving the AT in MT mode. If the fault is in the software programming then why not just drive around in MT mode?

No one can tell me either why, if it is a sw problem, the AT supposedly drives worse in colder weather. Nothing much makes sense.

There are many excuses: you don't know how to drive a BMW, it is designed that way, they all drive that way, we can't recreate it, you must be imagining it, it was fixed with the last update in 2007, drive around in SD, etc but no final solutions except to get rid of the car asap.

They do acknowledge there is (was) a problem and, I agree with you, they should have stopped selling the car after the 2007s and gone back to the 5 speed transmission for 2008 and 2009. I have no idea what the 2010s and 2011s are going to have because, heck, that doesn't help us anyway.

:mad:
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    At any rate, no one can tell me what the difference is between an actual MT and driving the AT in MT mode.

Well, the MT has three pedals, for one thing...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Lots of bad reviews? Like Edmunds.com citing it as the best-handling and most fun-to-drive crossover on the market?

Almost all bad reviews were on the original 2004~2006 models when equipped with sport package. From 2007 the ride was smoothed greatly, and without the sport package the car is still very firm, but is not in any way bouncy.

There is no comparison between an X3 and a Lexus RX. Its like complaining that a 328i isn't as cushy as a Lexus ES350, when it should be compared with the (still softer than BMW) IS250.

This is a car/truck that rides stiff. It rides stiff so that it can handle well and not be floaty or tippy. If you do not like a stiff ride, you shouldn't buy a BMW.
    The 2009 X3 has much to recommend it but to say that it rides 'stiff' like a 'BMW should' is absurd. BMWs ride stiffly and, to those of us who have driven BMWs FOR YEARS that is anticipated and expected.

The X3 doesn't ride stiffly, it sways side-to-side through the mid section, bucks from the front and bounces around on the most minor of road imperfections. Having a hot cup of coffee is taking a big risk in this car. Of course I am talking about MY CAR. Your mileage may differ.

Try comparing the ride to a BMW SEDAN. You get the stiff ride but the sedans do not continue to reverberate from the shock of hitting a mole hill or a tiny ridge in the road as the X3 does. This is also a very good way to check out the X3's psychotic transmission. The BMW SEDANs shift beautifully while the X3 can't figure out what it is doing unless you are lead footing the accelerator...in that case the X3 acts as it should and provides nice power and smooth acceleration. In either case, the X3 still downshifts to a stop as if it were confused by the process.

Talking about Edmund's own review, try checking out the longterm test drive on the inside line. They managed to destroy the suspension in an afternoon of riding around on a state maintained fire road. This was very much unexpected by the reviewers.

You think?

Yes, the Lexus RX, IIRC their best-selling car and the best selling luxury SUV/SAV around is not like the X3. It doesn't have the handling or the sportiness but it doesn't shake your bones around either. The X3's suspension - or whatever is causing this bouncing around - is absurd. It makes what should be an excellent car (except for the transmission and the lack of standard features) a big question mark.

BMW could have hit this one out of the park but it did not.

On the good side, I am pleased to say that the X3 has excellent and sure-footed handling on wet pavement. I hear that it is great in snow with the DTC but haven't gotten around to trying it out.

:)
    Of course you blast the X3, you clearly got a lemon, and spend dozens and dozens of posts telling everybody.

My car doesn't pogo around. My car doesn't shift abruptly. My car has no problem with upshifts, downshifts or much of anything else.

My car is a bit stiffer than my Mercedes C300 sport, and about the same as my friend's 128i sport package. My car (no sport package, 2009 base X3) handles like a dream on any surface, has a wonderful transmission that easily matches the excellent 7 speed in my Mercedes for smoothness.

I recently did a 300 mile drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in the X3 and all four occupants were comfortable and enjoyed the ride. Of course, my X3 isn't a lemon. What it is, is the best new car ever in my family. Zero defects, zero issues, 19,000 perfectly trouble-free miles and at 80 MPH on the way to Vegas it even gave us 27 MPG.
    http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/bmw/2009-bmw-x3-xdrive-30i-1136.html

"OVERLY FIRM RIDE, WITH LOTS OF BODY ROLL

BMW’s usually have a firm to stiff suspension set up. I’m usually good with that, and prefer a firm ride to a spongy one, but it just doesn’t work in the X3. The ride quality on smooth highway roads was acceptable, but on ordinary city and suburban streets, every bump, and undulation caused to car to pogo up and down for several seconds after riding over the dip. The buckboard ride got old after a short time. It wasn’t as nervous and bouncy as a trail-rated Jeep Rubicon, but it was definitely more truck-like than car-like.

That being said, you’d expect the compensation for the harsh ride would mean flat cornering, but the X3 had about the same amount of body roll as other SUVs, like the Hyundai Santa Fe, and much more than the Infinity EX35. "

===================== Good description of what in the world is wrong with the X3's ride. I do disagree with the author that the Infiniti is a direct competitor as the Infiniti has no cargo space and is essentially (along with the Audi Q5) a sporty station wagon or large hatchback...take your pick.

I also disagree that BMW should have pics of X3's going off road since the dealer explicitly said to NOT take it off road.
    "Of course you blast the X3, you clearly got a lemon, and spend dozens and dozens of posts telling everybody. "

Not according to BMW. Although it is still rather muddy as opposed to being perfectly clear, the X3 I have 'drives like every other new X3'. Take that up with them.

If I have an X3 lemon then there are plenty of them out there including those given to reviewers like the one above. It has finally gone through the break in period during which I kept hearing that it was too new and that it had to settle. Well, it has settled into doing what it did before. It is still just as quirky as before.

I'm not sure what difference the 'break in' period is supposed to make but if the driver is supposed to get used to the car's quirks...that hasn't happened. It is still a carnival ride of a car.

What is interesting is that it has a great grip on the road, a nice tight turn radius and it feels like a little tank. I can see how great a car it could be and then it sees a manhole cover or imagines a slight dip in the road and it goes bouncity-bounce-bounce down the road shaking everything inside. Oddly enough when it sees a BIG pothole it takes that just fine.

It is the strangest car I have ever driven.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    we got our 1st snowstorm of the year over the weekend here in Southern NY. We were supposed to go to a housewarming party on Saturday night on Long Island (got pounded with 18" of the white stuff) & I was very excited to drive our X3. The party was cancelled & we ended up staying in. By Sunday AM, the roads were 90% clear. Sunday night we ventured out to Long Island to my in-laws' place and sure enough some of the side roads on Long Island were still snow covered. The X3 tracks beautifully in the snow (with the stock all season tires) and just goes without question.

It really doesn't snow much here. We get maybe 5 storms a year with significant accumulation. The 4wd isn't a necessity, my FWD Prelude with 4 dedicated winter tires is amazingly agile in the snow. It is however a great thing to have.

I recently purchased a 2010 Acura TSX to eventually replace the X3 when the lease is up at the end of July 2010. I'm sure 4 dedicated snow tires will get the Acura through our realtively quiet winters, but I'll miss the X3 when its gone. My wife likes the Acura, but I think she loves driving the X3 & would do so if we weren't on our way to being over the mileage.

The X3's steering feel is superb. It is quiet & smooth. Comfortable without being plush. When you drop the hammer, the X3 goes & doesn't stop until you let off the gas. Passenger room is terriffic. Snow traction is tremendous.

My major complaint about the X3 is its cargo space. There isn't much of it behind the rear seats. Our TSX has a bigger trunk (front to back)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• salasala Member Posts: 1
    Hi iam new trying to find fuse box on my 2008 x3 can some one help thanks
    39,600 miles and a big black mark goes on our '07 X3's pristine record. It actually snowed today, my wife needed the X3 for work, I've been home sick with some form of the flu since Monday & NOTHING. The phone rings and she tells me the truck is dead.

"How is that possible, I drove it yesterday & it was fine." I replied "Don't worry, take the TSX & I'll deal with the truck."

How hard can this be, I go and try to jump my X3 with my Mom's '08 328xi. Instead of nothing, I get 2 clicks, then nothing. I let the battery charge, same result.

I called BMW roadside assistance. They came (outsource), couldn't jump me with the booster pack, & went straight for the battery in the back. Fired up, let it run for a half hour.

Now some dash lights are on - uh oh. I call my service advisor at WIDE WORLD BMW (Spring Valley, NY). He asks if I can bring the truck in today? NO PROBLEM.

I bring the X3 in, they wisk it away. Test the battery & read fault codes. Battery is fine. There is an electrical component that reads the key & tells the car to start. For some reason that is shot & it makes the battery die. New PArt will be in Tuesday. Don't worry, the truck should be fine. Just jiggle the keys a few times & it will work.

I stopped at the Porsche dealer to drool. 15 minutes later the X3 was dead again.

The guys at the Porsche dealer jumped me & I headed straight back to BMW.

SA gets me an emergency loaner ('09 528i w/ X drive) & tells me he'll call me when the truck is ready.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

The culprit was an EWS Control Unit & EWS Antenna Ring.

Everything was replaced, the truck was cleaned, & returned to us.

I haven't driven the X3 a whole lot in the past few months. I got re-aquainted with it on our drive home. It is still a great driving truck. Strong acceleration, great steering & brakes.

It made me think. 45,000 miles (currently 39,600) and 3 years might not be the end of our relationship with our '07 Montego Blue BMW X3 3.0si. Maybe if I'm offered a nice chunk off of the residual value by BMWFS - I'll take it or if I can convince the dealer to buy the X3 from BMW, CPO it, & sell it back to me cheaper than the residual value.

stay tuned

• dwc4dwc4 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the proces of looking at a new vehicle...I am looking at a BMW X3, or a new Subaru Outback Limited...which way should go..the BMW is a 2008, 2ith about 25,000 miles on it...I am really confused...any ideas out there?
    Well, I would read up on the continuing weirdness with the X3's auto transmission, its rock hard bouncing pony ride and check the VIN on the 2008 for any big fixes.

The Subarus get good marks from reviewers so I would test drive them, if at all possible, the same day along the same or similar route. The BMW dealer also said to NEVER take the X3 off roading...I don't know much about Subarus but they always show them muddy.
    You need to take a long test drive in both vehicles and evaluate how you are going to use it. We cross-shopped the X3 and the Forrester in 2005 and decided on the BMW- but that's not to say that Subaru doesn't build some outstanding cars and SUVs. The X3 is no Wrangler or Defender 90, but it can handle light off-road work. I have driven our 2004 X3 2.5 through 10-12 inches of viscous mud and through nearly two feet of snow. I know that the 2004 X3s were designed to operate in up to @20" of water, but I do not know if later models retained that ability. The BMW Performance Center has an off-road course designed to teach X3 and X5 owners about their vehicle's capabilities, and you can see a video of it by going to this page and clicking on "Other Roads".

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

There are a number of reports of broken springs in the X3 and Edmund's own long term testing on the '05 had them destroying the suspension in an afternoon of 'off-roading' on fire trails.

It goes to the mall like most SUVs.
    "There are a number of reports of broken springs in the X3 and Edmund's own long term testing on the '05 had them destroying the suspension in an afternoon of 'off-roading' on fire trails."

My house is at the end of a 2000 foot long fire trail. At 92,000 miles all four springs are still intact.

"Rear shocks blown on state-maintained fire access road. Shocks were replaced under warranty.

An afternoon of cruising a bumpy desert road proved to be too much for the X3's rear suspension. Perhaps our test vehicle's street-focused sport package had something to do with it, but we're still left scratching our heads. In any case, both rear shocks were rendered useless, and several suspension parts needed replacement.

Though the bouncy ride back to the office was fun for a few miles, we ended up parking the X3 while we waited a week for the back-ordered parts to arrive."

The dealer said, explicitly, to never take the X3 off road. Maybe they know about this article by Edmunds or maybe they have seen other issues. The broken pigtail on the springs seems to come up now and again. It appears rusted at times and at other times not so much.

Head scratcher it is and around $1K to replace both. I'm sure the guy setting the street on fire can find a discount.
    This has been a particularly snowy winter here in NY. They predicted a big snowstorm and they were right (this time). Thursday night into Friday we got more than 18" of big, wet, snowflakes. They always plow very well in our apartment complex. Leavinf for work is usually just a case of brushing the snow off the car and going.

This time the plows couldn't keep up. They must have called it quits sometime in the middle of the night. The X3 was buried in snow up to its doors & blocked in by snow up to its bumper 3 feet wide until the plowed road.

I hopped in, fired up the X3, hopped out, & cleaned it off. Once I cleaned all the snow off the X3, I threw it in Reverse & hit the gas. 4 wheels spun. I dug out behind the rear wheels, switched the DTC off, threw it in Reverse, & hit the gas. The X3 fishtailed in place.

I won't bore you all with the rest of the details, but after moving back, and getting stuck again and again, it took me over an hour and a half to get the X3 out of the parking spot.

I think part of it had to do with the heavy, wet, snow. Part had to do with the Michelin All Season tires with over 40K miles.

Once out of the parking spot, it handled the snow covered roads beautifully.

• jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Sounds like baby beemer needs a new pair of shoes !!
    If I would have bought the X3, then I would have fitted it with a proper pair of snow shoes (as I do to my Prelude and will do next year to my wife's TSX), but given that it is a lease and goes back at the end of July, we'll keep the Michelins that are on it.

So you are not going to buy the X3 after the lease is up.

Makes sense.
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    dwo4,

I can't comment on the Suburu. As others have suggested, I also recommend a test drive of the X3, especially on a twisty country road if you are into handling and responsiveness. My wife's 2006 X3 has been great, and one of the most enjoyable aspects is the ability to drive it more like a sports sedan than an SUV!

Bruce
    My wife's 2006 X3 has been great, and one of the most enjoyable aspects is the ability to drive it more like a sports sedan than an SUV!

Exactly; the X3 is no E30 M3, but it's much more entertaining to drive than most any other SUV- although I have to admit that I was very smitten by the X5 4.6is press loaner I drove for a couple of weeks back in 2001.

I don't think we'll buy out the lease on the X3 - it has been a fantastic truck, but I'm just not sure about making payments on a truck with 45K miles. We're in the process of buying a house & maybe the 2nd car payment won't be such a good idea.

Press loaner? You are with a PR firm?
    Nope.

edited March 2010
    Advertising? Sales? How are you getting a press loaner?

Don't tell me that you are a journalist.....
    edited March 2010
    nyccarguy;
    You have a PM on your Carspace page...