Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    The Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all season tires I fitted to my wife's X3 2.5 lasted over 48,000 miles, but this week it was time for a new set of tires. I decided to go with the new P Zero Nero All Season which has now replaced the PZero Nero M+S. As usual, I purchased the tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped to one of their recommended installers. Total cost including shipping and installation: $617.00.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• gouldngouldn Member Posts: 220
    Hey Roadburner:

How are those tires? I'm getting ready to replace my OEMs on the 07 and would like something a little more sticky than the Scorpions it came with. I never have to worry about snow or mud, just rain.
    I really like them. They have amazing grip and provide a decent ride as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited June 2010
    I just took my wife's 2004 X3 2.5 to our local BMW dealer for the Inspection I service and a brake fluid flush. Absolutely no problems were detected- aside from needing front and rear wiper blades. Total cost: $358. Having said all that, the years and mileage have really taken their toll on the truck's interior and exterior:

:P ;):D

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Great color. Still looks like it is in great shape.

So my 3 1/2 year old son literally cries everytime we talk about giving the X3 back to BMW. So to humor him I called the dealer to ask how much. The Buyout is $26,9XX & they offered to sell me the X3 back for $22,600 - my $500 security deposit which would make it $22,100 before tax. I asked if that made it a CPO BMW (I know it didn't, but had to ask). He said to make it a CPO car, would cost and extra $2995. That seems like a lot for the CPO warranty.

Being that I just closed on my new house (in CT) on Tuesday, I don't need a 3rd car or second car payment. Plus I don't have the cash & don't like the idea of financing a truck with almost 45K miles on the clock.

I'm going to try and do a long term wrap up. Stay tuned.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

My son was in First Grade when I had my 4.6is press loaner. He was distraught when I told him we had to give it back; he even offered to sacrifice his $2/week allowance to help pay for it...
    I think that is a VERY high number for CPO certification. I think it's closer to $1,500 for all but the 7er and the M cars.
    We don't plan to get rid of our X3 for a few more years at least- especially since it looks and runs like new. My wife would really like a MINI but she likes not having a car payment even more... :D

Happy 4th of July to you & your family. I thought almost $3K for CPO certification seemed high. Especially since I just put new tires on the truck barely $2000 miles ago.

At any price, I'd almost be willing to forgo the CPO warranty & spring for the extended maintenance. An inspection II, oil service, a new set of brakes, & an inspection I - the xtended mainenanxe would pay for itself.

But no x3 for us. July 31st & we'll bid it a fond farewell.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Happy belated 4th! It's been a madhouse out our way. That said, I know you'll miss the X3- but at least you've still got that sweet Prelude! :D

I'm going to miss the X3 that's for sure. My stable of the Prelude & the TSX ain't half bad.

I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to keep the Prelude. With the TSX, we're only going to have 1 car for our 2 men. The Prelude's back seat doesn't have LATCHes for the car seats. The seats don't have that locked in feeling. So if I'm able to get a decent price for my Prelude, I'll sell, if not I'll start looking to retire it & get something else.

• marco23marco23 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm having the same problem today July 30th. It all started several weeks ago with rattle noise coming from exhaust. 2 days ago white smoke started coming out on ignition. Today the check engine light came on. How much would the dealership have charge if labor was not waived? I apprecaite your feedback. Thank you.
  • hugepatsfan10hugepatsfan10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone
    I just wanted a little advice. I narrowed my car search down to the BMW X3 2008 (got a really good quote) and a 2010 Infinity EX (a little more pricey but includes everything navigation and backup camera) . There are pro's and cons to both. I loved the ride on both. But because of the space issue in the EX, I was going to go with the X3. However, after a lot of research I am extremely worried about the transmission problems. I asked the dealer and he said it was fixed but I don't trust that. I've heard so much about the 07 issues but there isn't much about 08. I wanted to get some advice from people who had an 08 and if they had any of the 07 transmission problems. It would be so helpful. And I'd love to know whether you like the car or not. Thank you so much.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    check out the acura rdx before you decide. Stellar reliability and fun to drive.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    You have to drive the X3 you are interested in.. The problems seem to be software related... It's doubtful that you are looking at a future repair, just poor driveability, presently and in the future..

Some X3s are great... some are just a little problematic (jerky, quirky... like ours), and some are just terrible to drive (hesitation, surging, overly aggressive downshifting when slowing, etc..)

If you drive it, and it seems normal... (like the Infiniti), then you probably have nothing to worry about...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

We just turned our in on Saturday with 45,196 miles & ZERO transmission issues. What a fantastic vehicle. We miss it already!

• dionngdionng Member Posts: 4
    I am leasing a BMW X3 08 model, no transmission problem. I love driving it. I was also test drive the EX model but X3 has more room and comfort. So far, leasing the X3 for 2 years, only two small problems, the cup holder in the back seat need to replaced and the washer pump leaking. The cup holder took 3 times to the repair shop as they have to order from Germany. The washer pump they tried to fix it last week but still leaking so I need to bring it back again this week. For me, the car only two year old with 27K mile in it, should not have problems like this, so I think I will return it when lease is over and look for something else.
    edited August 2010
    For me, the car only[sic] two year old with 27K mile in it[sic], should not have problems like this, so I think I will return it when lease is over and look for something else.

Wise move! A leaking windshield washer pump is almost always a dead-accurate barometer for determining long-term vehicle reliability.

• jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    A leaking windshield washer pump is almost always a dead-accurate barometer for determining long-term vehicle reliability.

Damn you, Roadburner! You owe me the price of a new keyboard. I just ruined a perfectly good Logitech by spitting a mouthful of beer (some of which ran out of my nose) on it while reading your post.

Funniest thing I've read all week. Keep up the good work.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Hmmmm, the washer pump leaked on my 2009 X3 too. Thats the only problem I've had in almost 35,000 miles, but a failed par? unforgivable.

Of course, BMW fixed it right away, and since the car still looks, feels and drives like new and actually uses less gas than it did before, I'd say the X3 is a keeper. In fact, it is the most reliable car ever in my family, even with the leaky pump. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Thanks; I try my best... :D

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oops, that's a burger slogan. Still fits though.

"BMW is encouraging interested buyers to special-order their X3 to get it exactly the way they want. That's the way it works in Europe, but Americans historically have not liked to wait for a special-order car. Now that X3s are being built in BMW's newly-expanded Spartanburg, SC, assembly plant, the company says the special-order delivery times can be drastically cut - to a point that can satisfy even impatient Americans."

Special Order the New BMW X3, Get It in a Week (Straightline)

Great - I'll order a 2011 X3 X-drive 35i with the 300 hp/300 lb-ft of torque N55 engine for the price of a base X3 X-drive 28i.

• ftravaillotftravaillot Member Posts: 3
    I'm test driving an X3 on Saturday. Its priced at $25,488 at the BMW dealer with 33,960 miles, CPO. Can I play hardball and bring them down to $20,000 or is that totally unreasonable? I'm bringing $3K cash.
    2008 model?
    OOPS! Forgot to post the year...2007....
    More importantly, what options does it have? Is that $23,9 their asking price? Just to help you gauge, I recently turned in a 2007 lightly optioned (metallic paint, heated seats, rear privacy glass, nc steptronic) with 45,196 miles on the clock. The dealer offered to sell it to me for like $21,600 as a used car, but then wanted another $2995 to make it a CPO car. I don't think the CPO warranty is that much. Good luck!

• 928928 Member Posts: 3
    Did you get it for 20K? Just curious
    I got it for $22K
  • BaitBait Member Posts: 12
    If I told you what I went through with these people and my X3 you'd never step foot on one of their lots.....and I'm not unique by any stretch of the imagination.
    Do anyone have the same problem? My 2008 X3 the plastic around the cup holder is peeling off. Is the 4 year free maintenance cover to fix that?
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    I do not know if it is the same thing but there have been numerous complaints regarding the plastic on the steering wheel peeling off.
  • pp2009pppp2009pp Member Posts: 228
    Look up the sticky on Bimmerfest regarding the bizarre GM transmission on the X3.

Fixed?

Nope.
  • steve358steve358 Member Posts: 12
    I noticed my rear window has many scratches in wiper area. Is this a bmw defect. is there anything that can take out these scratches or does whole glass need to be replaced.
  • missmwmissmw Member Posts: 1
    I bought my x3 used, with about 43,000 miles (so almost no warranty left), I did have interior peeling on the cup holder and steering wheel that BMW fixed under warranty. They also replaced the passanger seat due to malfunctioning seat belt sensor, as it would go off when I had no passanger (except maybe a gardian angel?) randomly. However, now at 63,000 miles I just had to pay to have the water pump replaced and other work done after "motor mount bolts sheered off causing engine to fall on water pump". HOW does this happen? I was having coolant leak issues and that is how they discovered it. I am shocked and went back to BMW because it has always been the most reliable car I have ever had, this is my 3rd (2001 325i, 2005 330xi) BMW and I am a bit paranoid about it.
  • mthompson2mthompson2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 x3. BMW North American paid to have my sheared engine bolts replaced in late August 2011 with upgraded bolts. We have 78k miles.

This is a known issue. This reportedly did not damage my water pump.

My advice to you is to complain about the bolts and get them to at least pay for the bolts. In my opinion they should pay for the pump too.

Our car has a Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. Reportedly the CPO does not cover bolts unless the engine falls off it's mounts which it appears yours did. My bolts were replaced as a courtesy.
  • tonysayan77tonysayan77 Member Posts: 1
    Incident I have a major problem with my 07 x3! The motor mount brackets are broken and my engine isn't sitting in it's correct place anymore! This sounds like a manufacturing defect and a huge safety issue( this is my family car and my family could have been seriously injured!)!!! I purchased my X3 certified pre owned and added extended maintenance . This should be covered but BMW of Henderson ,NV said it is not covered and would have occurred due to driver error. That is BS and I could have never caused this, I only drive on streets n highway roads , plus I baby my car! I bought a BMW because of its reputation and am hugely disappointed ! I wanted to stick with BMW's and planned to always own a BMW until this incident! I don't trust the brand as much as I used to and can't believe a BMW dealership won't own up to something that should be a huge safety concern and should be covered !!!!! ( My family and other families safety!!!)
    Damage Resulting BMW should fix the car! It is a defect ,a safety issue and a lemon! I purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle from BMW of Henderson. I've only owned this car for approx 14 months!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to interview anyone who has used Edmunds.com's Car Match.

Please email pr@edmunds.com by November 4, 2011 with your daytime phone number and a comment about your experience.
  • nhlarrynhlarry Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a brand new 2012 X3. I am shocked (appalled) that there is no trunk release from inside the vehicle; also really ticked off that my radar detector stay powered unless I unplug it from the lighter input. Really disappointed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    The tailgate is unlocked whenever your doors are unlocked. All you have to do it squeeze the handle..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

also really ticked off that my radar detector stay powered unless I unplug it from the lighter input.

Me, I'm "really ticked off" that the power outlets on my Wrangler and Mazdaspeed 3 aren't powered when the key is removed- unlike my three BMWs...

The tailgate is unlocked whenever your doors are unlocked. All you have to do it squeeze the handle...

Just like every BMW I've owned since the E28... :sick:

• cbf263cbf263 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I recently purchased a 2006 BMW X3 at the end of September. The dealer I purchased it from went out of business about 2 weeks after I bought it... so lots of sketchyness with that entire situation that I won't get into...

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago I had a couple problems with starting the car. The first time, it took me about 4 tries before the car finally started (it cranked but didn't turn over). About a day later, the car wouldn't start at all. I turned the ignition and didn't even hear a sound. When I had a friend jump it, it started almost immediately after connecting the jumper cables. I thought it may have had something to do with the cold weather since it started happening once it got cold.

I brought it to a repair shop. They were able to reproduce but not able to diagnose.

I then brought it to the Fields BMW service center in Northfield because of their more "advanced" tests. They haven't been able to reproduce, did a full diagnostic test and haven't found anything wrong with the car. No fault codes or issues reported with any of the tests. They did mention that the "block box" recorded a "no start" but that they haven't been able to figure out why.

Needless to say, I'm extremely frustrated they no one has been able to figure out what's going on. Not to mention, the service reps at the dealer are really awful and not helpful at all.

Anyone have any ideas of what it could be if there are no fault codes reported and the tests come back clean?
  • nasdaqnasdaq Member Posts: 29
    I also have the terrible smell come and go while I am driving. My dealer could not find out any leaking. The smell is still there! It mostly happens when car comes to stop and go or turn.

Did you identify your issue?

Thanks,
    My BMW X3 also has bad smell come and go, mostly when car comes to stop and go or turn. Dealer failed to find out the issue! But the smell is there!
    Very much appreciate it if anyone knew the issue.
    edited March 2012
    My BMW X3 also has bad smell come and go, mostly when car comes to stop and go or turn. Dealer failed to find out the issue! But the smell is there!
    I should mention that dealer recently changed valve cover gasket due to the oil leakage.

Very much appreciate it if anyone knew the issue.
  • paul2379paul2379 Member Posts: 2
    For anyone looking to buy an x3 (2011 and newer) make sure your driving habits call for 20 plus miles a day or you will have a dead battery. You can also buy a trickler charger from BMW for about $73 and charge it up once per week (must be bmw's version of a hybrid!) Seems that while they were developing all of the electrical add ons, they did not design a battery that could support it
  • nobmw3nobmw3 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Paul is completely RIGHT!
    I bought a new 2011 six months ago and put on about 300miles.
    The battery went dead on me 3X in the six months and the dealer (Motorwers)suggestion is to keep the car plugged in to the charger!
    This is a $48K car and I have to keep it plugged in to start?
    What if I go on vacation and leave the car at the airport 2-3 weeks? Shall I take a VERY long extension cord with me to be sure that it starts?

I contacted BMW customer service but they are totally useless useless and incompetent.

They sent several emails saying to contact the dealer but never addressed the design flaw, that is the battery runs down because of all the electronics are not properly interlocked.

Now what are all electronics and gadgets good for if THE CAR Will NOT START?
  • paul2379paul2379 Member Posts: 2
    I agree. BMWUSA was completely useless. All they said is that the owners manual refers to the problem if the owner of the car is not driving it enough and "it is not a design flaw".

I have had good success with the dealer in my area (Asheville BMW) in working on it but they can't fix a design flaw after the fact.

Hopefully if enough people complain about it to BMW they can either develop a recall fix or at the very least redesign the battery for the 2013 models.
  • skyrgrskyrgr Member Posts: 2
    Did you get an answer to your problem? My issues with BMW's I've owned (6 total) but not the X3 model have all centered on electrical issues. Anti-theft system is one of the biggest culprits to an off key drain of the battery causing difficulty with starting. If the vehicle is left for several days 3-7 without starting you may come back to a dead battery.

BMW refuses to admit any issues with their electrical components because Germans don't make mistakes!! Bottomline Upfront:
    - issues could be from the fuel pump or fuel filter a indicator that the pump is going bad is difficulty in starting and extremely poor gas milage
    - offkey drain of battery due to electrical problems culprits car alarm, radio, onboard computer, door locks to name a few.
    - bad turbo charge / fuel injector / starter / alternator

My recommendation is to find a good Mechanic that is certified (BMW) and ideally doesn't work at a dealership. I live in Germany but there use to be a mechanic in Roseville and another in Libertyville that owned their shop. Sorry, I don't remember their names; but, the guy in Roseville shop was attached to a NAPA Autoparts store. I can tell you that if you maintain your vehicle with a good mechanic you'll never have to buy another vehicle.
  • fomentarfomentar Member Posts: 49
    Has anyone tried to hard wire power to V1 on 2013 X3 yet? I've been searching posts on forums and see posts for earlier years...just haven't come across anyone who has hard wired 2013 model yet. I've hard wired my '03 330Xi and '08 335Xi via the overhead console, which worked out very well. The console on the X3 is fitted differently (unit is more compact and seems tighter to roof lining) and doing research prior to diving in. Any helpful hints or links appreciated. Thanks.
  • janetd4janetd4 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2008 325i 51K miles. Two broken motor mount bolts that caused additional damage to other parts of the car since the engine dropped on the passenger side. Service tech said car was unsafe to drive and could have caused serious accident/injury. I just filed a complaint with the National Hwy Traffic and Safety Admin. It only takes 5 min. to do so online at nhtsa.gov. If you haven't filed a complaint I would urge you to do so. I will also be contacting BMW of NA to see if they will cover some of these costly repairs. There are many BMW owners with the same problems due to these aluminum rather than steel motor mount bolts. This should be a recall issue.