Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW X3

Comments

• Options
    ulepulep Member Posts: 63
    just talked to my nj dealer. They said the build date for my x3 is jan 26 and it'll take 5 week before i can drive it. that means ill be the last person to have the damn car. this is aggravating!!! I order the x3 on the first week of december with the thought that if you preorder the car,you will be the first one to have it. they even told me that i can get it by the first week of feb.and now they tell me this. by mid march they'll have dozens on their lot and ill still be waiting for mine. I cant believe this.....
  • Options
    mjmx3mjmx3 Member Posts: 17
    Hi Guys! I ordered my X3 the end of November and I have had my production number for about a week. No VIN or build date yet according to the BMW USA Owners Circle.

For what its worth, I am told the BMW Owners Circle, order status information, lags behind what the dealer is capable of providing. The dealer advised me that the VIN should be available in about two weeks when the car is scheduled for a build date.

While I have no definitive production date or delivery date yet, I feel like my X3 will be delivered in early March as well. This doesn’t bother me too much as by that time, most of the major snowstorms and extremely cold weather will be behind us here in the Northeast.

MJM
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Figured I was missing something. No help from the BMW overseas purchase link I posted last week?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kkl3kkl3 Member Posts: 7
    Here's the information on European delivery pricing:

2.5i
    Invoice - $25,645 vs $27,735 for US delivery

3.0i
    Invoice - $30,720 vs $33,195 for US delivery

Option prices are the same for European and US delivery
  • Options
    hbouhbou Member Posts: 13
    kkl3- thank you for the info!
  • Options
    liamjohn1liamjohn1 Member Posts: 2
    good looking from 10 to 15 feet away. Interior did not seem up to BMW standards. They have a subcontractor building this car. Any concerns with overall quality???

comments??
  • Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    IMO, BMW is engaging in cost-cutting with all of their latest models (5, 6, 7 and the X3). Not really a fan of this especially since their prices are going up significantly.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    went to the dealer sat and sun. didn't see any x-3's that i could get close to, they were locked up behind a fence.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    magna steyr is a branch of a canadian corporation magna and has been in business for years. they were contracted to build the mercedes benz e-class, g-class, jeep grand cherokee,chrysler voyager, saab 9-3 covertable, and recently the bmw x3. they speacialize on all wheel drive systems. They have been partners with BMW group for years with bmw's development of all wheel drive systems. these people know what they're doing. The total project-related expenses for the production of the x3 is $230 million. 2,500 associates are employed and trained to BMW standards. The X3 is being produced in Graz,Austria for exports around the world. The plant is designed for a capacity of 300 vehicles per day. for more info go to magnasteyr.com.
  • Options
    Magna steyr also produced the mercedes benz M-class.their main costumers are BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Fiat/Lancia/Alfa Romeo, General Motors/Opel/Saab, Hyundai, Land Rover, Renault, Volkswagen/Audi, Mercedes Benz
  • Options
    saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    I wouldn't worry about magna steyr. They're a very reputable company. Also, everyone who's seen the X3 and test driven it may have complained about quality of materials used or ride quality, but no one complained about build quality.

I looked at the X3 twice and I thought the X3's build quality was pretty good.

That being said, it is a first year model so there will probably be a few first year bugs to work out, but this is true of all manufacturers, not just BMW.
  • Options
    liamjohn1liamjohn1 Member Posts: 2
    was the wear on the weatherstripping on the doorsills and the side bolsters of the seats after....I have to admit a busy auto show......it good be an indicator of material quality....at least long term.

Overall it seems to be a good design. It is just obvious to me they have had to cut corners to make the price point.
  • Options
    aukemaaukema Member Posts: 19
    I've been seeking a replacement for my 87 Pathfinder for 5 years. Test drove the x3 3.0i and got hooked. BMW got most things right. Appears more rugged than other lux SUVs, mpg 10-20% better than most of the big hogs, roomy without a big box appearance and fun to drive. Ok I'm moving up a lot so the interior nor the harsh ride had an effect on me. I am concerned you BMW experts think less highly of this product. If I do succumb to my desires, how much over invoice do I offer? I'm thinking European delivery to celebrate entry into the BMW family. The invoice price with options is $35,900. Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    kkl3kkl3 Member Posts: 7
    aukema,

I'm one BMW owner that is not disappointed with the X3 at all. Owned a '99 328i and currently own an '02 M3. I think all the talk of poor interior quality is unfounded. No it's not a 5 series, but I think it is 3 series all the way, maybe a bit more rugged. I am waiting for my X3 and I'm excited because I really think it will meet my family's needs.

Offer $1,000 over invoice and see where it gets you. Don't be surprised if you wind up spending $2,000 over. Use Edmund's dealer contact feature; you'll do better dealing with the internet department of most dealers.

Finally, if you can make it work with your schedule, definitely do the European Delivery. It saves you money/you get a vacation and you'll have a blast driving on the Autobahn. Then, you'll have 5-6 weeks to forget how cool driving in Germany is before you take delivery and have to drive among the horrible US drivers again.

Good luck and God bless.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I dropped my 330i at the dealer for service and my cool sales guy hooked me up with a demo model X3 3.0 with six speed. I'll write a full review of it later this weekend.

Not a bad little truck. Not as nimble as my car and certainly a great deal slower but as far as SUVs go, it's almost livable.
  • Options
    definitely would like to hear your impressions-- inside, out and on the go!
  • Options
    vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    I am deciding between an FX35 and the X3 3.0. I'd rather get the X3 3.0 (although I am renting an FX next week in Florida, so I reserve the right to change my mind!) Anyway, if you build both vehicles with similar options, the FX is 6K less expensive. This is assuming the X3 goes for MSRP and the FX sells for about 1k over invoice (per the FX forum and Infiniti ads in the paper.) My local BMW dealer here in CT has told me that MSRP is the only price they will do on the X3. Do you all believe that is the only deal right now? At best, what discount off of MSRP will I find if I work for it (ie. fax many dealers, etc.) If I could close the gap then I'd buy the X3. Please don't tell me to get the X3 2.5 because 0-60 in 9.3 is not enough fun for me...although when a 2.5 is available to test drive I'll give it a try with an open mind! :)

Now driving...1999 BMW 528i Sport
  • Options
    read post #313
  • Options
    liamjohnliamjohn Member Posts: 6
    the car (SAV) rides as though it has no shocks.....it needs a little more tuning. after two days at the LA Auto show the interior needed a serious once over. It didn't look any better than the baby range rover....which is a fit and finish nightmare.......I hope BMW did there homework.....unfortunately the will sell everyone they can send to my area...because there are a lot of "blind" car buyers.
  • Options
    doneby2010doneby2010 Member Posts: 27
    You will find the hard copy in Friday's USA TODAY.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2004-01-15-x3_- x.htm
  • Options
    conallconall Member Posts: 91
    The last BMW I owned was a 2002. Not exactly a luxury vehicle, but fun to drive. BMW is one of the few manufacturers who is really putting the "sport" in SUV - as Nissan had done with the X-terra (or however you spell that). Most SUV's are just suburban tanks and 2-wd at that!
  • Options
    mark_lpmark_lp Member Posts: 28
    I also looked at the FX35 and X3 recently. X3 won my vote for several reasons. 1-heated steering wheel 2-better storage capacity 3-panoramic roof 4-more supple suspension 5-Infiniti dealer didn't want to move on MSRP, BMW did 6- BMW pays for all service under warranty period As a side note, I would have bought the Murano over the FX.
  • Options
    Did you go with the 2.5 or 3? Did you get under MSRP? And lastly, you driving it yet?

Funny, you mention the Murano, I have looked at that also but decided against it because while I'd rather drive a new FX or X3 vs. my current 99 528, I'd rather keep my 528 over a new Murano. It just doesn't have that marquis feel...
  • Options
    mattingly5mattingly5 Member Posts: 7
    I receievd the following offer today

2.5 automatic w/prem pkg,leather,heated seats, xenon lights,park distance,prem sound sys & metallic paint & destination chg

MSRP:$40,670
    Invoice: $37,285
    Sale: $39,000 b/f tax, tags

Lease paymt w/ no cap cost, 10K/yr,60% resid & .0024 money factor
    $557.66 base + $50.19 (6% tax)=$607.85

What do you think?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    558 times 6 percent is about 34. you might want to ask this over at the finances/lease discussion.
    the only reason i noticed is that the state i live in, has a 6% sales/use tax.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I ordered a 3.0 PP,CWP,auto,xenon,htd wheel, servotr,sat prep,met pnt Yes it was under MSRP. But it was also well loaded. this is my 6th bmw, but only my second version of a 3 series. end of prod for me should be end of January. I'm moving from an 01 530i that was rear ended.
  • Options
    mamgtmamgt Member Posts: 67
    I just ordered the X3 3.0. I think it's the perfect small SUV (sorry SAV) but I still don't know what kind of steering wheel I will be getting. In all the literature, including the BMW web site, it lists a 3-spoke steering wheel as standard on the 3.0. The vehicle I test drove was a 3.0 with premium package but had a regular "multi-function steering wheel". The BMW brochure describes three different steering wheels: The 2.5 has a "multi-function steering wheel", the 3.0 has a "3-spoke steering wheel", and the sport package comes with a "3-spoke SPORT steering wheel". My dealer insists that I will get the same non-3-spoke steering wheel that is on the demo vehicle I drove and that the brochure has a typo. He said the only other steering wheel there is is the 3-spoke steering wheel that comes with the sport package. I really like the 3-spoke but do not want the sport package. I find it hard to believe that BMW would also make a mistake on their web site. Also, someone I happened to meet did an internship at BMW USA headquarters last summer and thought that the X3 would come with two different 3-spoke steering wheels, the one with the sports package having a slightly fatter wheel...Hope this isn't all too confusing. Bottom line: does anyone who has ordered the 3.0 know what kind of steering wheel they're getting?
  • Options
    It is my understanding that the brochure is wrong. The standard 3 spoke wheel has never offered a heated steering wheel option(except on the new wheel in the new 5 series because they moved the control button for that feature off the wheel). The 3.0 has that option. You should expect the standard 4 spoke unless they move that function button onto the dash as well.
  • Options
    Thanks explorerx4 - totally missed that. Not surprised since we found other calc problems in his original quote.

You wouldn't happen to be an accountant? :)

Any thoughts on the pricing?
  • Options
    It beats what my dealer offered - strict MSRP only. I assume that you didn't get to drive the 2.5 version. I can't wait to hear from folks that have driven the 2.5, I'm too worried about the power (or lack of) to order one without driving it first.
  • Options
    avi_driveravi_driver Member Posts: 15
    I, personally, thought that BMW would have done a better job on their X3. When I first heard that there was going to be a new SUV added to the lineup, frankly, I was excited. When I heard that it was going to be part of the 3 series family, I was even more excited. But when I saw what BMW had created, I was completely turned off. Besides the name BMW, I don't think the vehicle is worth a base MSRP of $30,995. For that price, I would explore my other options because there are many more that fit that price range. And believe me, you get a lot more with other trucks for that price. With the X3, all you are purchasing is the brand name, BMW. As far as I am concerned, the looks on the truck are awful. In order to make it actually look like something worth driving, you have to load it up with all of the options. After you have done that, the price reaches as high as the X5---a much better value....Again, I don't want to offend anyone with my thoughts. I am just voicing my opinion. Thanks.
  • Options
    I disagree with your statements of value. What do you think the vehcile is missing that so many other companies offer? Looks...each to his/her own opinion. The X5 has been plagued by QC problems since day one. It doesn't even drive like the X3 and the X5 comparably equipped is 5-6k more.
  • Options
    "But when I saw what BMW had created, I was completely turned off."

But did you drive it or just look at it? I agree w/ mark_lp, looks are opinion. I agree that you may get more fluffy bells & whistles w/ Lexus RX330 and more room w/ Acura MDX but the drive is completely different, which is what BMW is all about. I truly enjoyed my test ride. I did a lot of research on all three vehicles and spent countless hours reading the consumer discussions for RX330 & MDX and let me tell you there are a lot of unhappy people. You may want to visit those discussions before applauding "the others."

With that said, I realize there are no X-3's in the hands of the consumers yet, so there are no "new owner" complaints. I realize that I am taking my chances with it being a new model...
  • Options
    aukemaaukema Member Posts: 19
    The Brochure describes a Silver Metallic, with terracotta leather and birch grain light wood interior but when you try to order on-line these options are unavailable. Does anyone know if this combination is available?

Avi-driver what SUV are you in love with and how much does it cost. You have such discriminating taste I like to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of you are staying with the standard vs steptronic. Think it matters on resale (after I drive it for 15 years).

Anyone else willing to share they final price. Thanks
  • Options
    The ride of the X3 may be great, but there's no excusing the interior at this price category (personally, I find it less appealing than the current 3-series interior).
  • Options
    Since the base MSRP on the X3 is $30,995, i can name many SUV's that I am "in love with" as you say it or that I would prefer purchasing over the X3. Again, this is all my opinion and since you take my opinion so personally, I will tell you exactly why I feel the way I do. First off let me read down the list of SUV's that I like and their MSRP's in comparison to the X3. Ford Explorer - $27,245 / Jeep Grand Cherokee - $28,055 / Land Rover Discover - $34,995 / Mercury Mountaineer - $29,995 / Nissan Murano - $28,740 / Nissan Pathfinder - $27,440 /

Is that enough for you?

Answer this question for me. Why is the X3 $30,995 base MSRP? What does it have to offer for it to be that price in comparison to those on my list? I think that you and I both know that if you took the BMW emblem off of the car, that the MSRP wouldn't be that high. The BMW X3 is way overpriced as I see it.
  • Options
    I completely agree with you. For the price you are paying especially for a truck that can be considered a more compact SUV than usual midsize ones, it needs to be pretty much perfect all around. That includes exterior, interior, engine, you name it. Now, I, personally, haven't driven it and cannot say anything in regards to the driving feel. But after reading many of the posts, I have come to understand that the driving feel is pretty good. But, I have sat in it and seen it from upclose. And believe me when I say it, it is not worth 30K. I am trying to tell you that for 30K + there are much more fit vehicles out there.
  • Options
    for the new members of this board. i wrote this a month ago and i still feel the same....

a guy said that cars really are a matter of taste. it just so happens that it's my taste. pretty happy with my purchase. specially w/ the $1,600 that i shave off from the sticker price. and i also like the feeling that i'm driving a car (for me it's a car cause it drives like one)that has one of the world most advance all wheel drive systems. and as an icing on the cake, not everybody has the x3. so ill be one of the few proud owners of this sav.
        i remembered when they first came out w/ the x5, people are laughing at bmw but it turned out it was one of the best suv out there. and now its happening again. oh well as i said before, knowing what you want is the most important thing. as for me, a $41K car can be bought but the piece of mind that my love ones is safe inside that car and the satisfaction that i feel for the x3 is priceless(like a credit card ad rigth :-})

it seems that thers a lot ofnew members on this board.tponchak, kssoman, kdshapiro, saugatak..where are you people...missed the mesage board war
  • Options
    bmwx5bmwx5 Member Posts: 16
    I agree that the taste is a matter of personal opinion. One can own 3 Hyundai's for the price of one BMW (no pun intended on the hyundai owners), but BMW is a different breed. There are many things which can be subjected to judgement and whether to pay a price for BMW vs. MDX or RS330 is purely personality. I often been asked why do I wear a 'rolex bludedial submariner' when I would have a worn a reasonably priced seiko or movado watch - but that's individual taste. Yes the price is just one part of the equation, it's the satisfaction to self and a sense of achievement. With all said and done - I wouldn't buy the X3 , as I prefer a 3-series sedan better.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "I think that you and I both know that if you took the BMW emblem off of the car, that the MSRP wouldn't be that high. The BMW X3 is way overpriced as I see it."

I'll bet you an X3 if you took the emblem off, masqueraded the car and disguised the following a Mountaineer, X3, Pathfinder, Jeep Cherokee, etc, you would be able to pick out the BMW by the drive. Now if you put the emblem back on, you would see the classic looks and lines and functional yet nicely laid out interior relative to these other vehicles.

"it needs to be pretty much perfect all around. That includes exterior, interior, engine, you name it."

I thought is was perfect BMW all the way!

But I recognize in the world of autos, there is not a pot for every cover.
  • Options
    mamgtmamgt Member Posts: 67
    "I think that you and I both know that if you took the BMW emblem off of the car, that the MSRP wouldn't be that high. The BMW X3 is way overpriced as I see it."

There is no question that you are paying extra for the brand. If you took the emblem off of any premium brand, including Lexus and Infinity, the sticker price would be less. That is what building a brand is all about. Any car company (or any other company for that matter) that has consistently delivered a good product that people want, builds a certain reputation that some are willing to pay for. If you saw a vehicle similar to a Pathfinder but with a Yugo emblem, at a slightly lower price, would you buy it? I wouldn't.
  • Options
    My general understanding is that a nice exterior + comforting interior + solid mechanicals = great car. And this "great car" would be represented by a brand. This brand would easily communicate to the consumer what to expect when they go to check out the car.

Eventually, this branding would help distinguish these cars from competitors and price discrimination would occur.

But, I think BMW skipped part of this equation and went straight to branding of this car, without working on the all of the components to make it "great".

Incidentally, I saw a couple of commercials for the X3 this weekend-- pretty cool ads, but they don't show the interior!
  • Options
    conallconall Member Posts: 91
    As ulep has told y'all over and over again (although with slightly different words): the X-3 is marketed for those who are more concerned with a great driving experience, than trying to impress someone with the way it looks!!!
  • Options
    hey guys my dealer offered me the aerokit for $2500 with materials and labor. i'm going to ask them for the details...it's not that i dont like the bumpers...i just want to be different from any other x3...then again,the aerokit really looks cool..
  • Options
    On a whim, I stopped into the dealership for another test drive today. I spoke to my sales rep who accomodated me immediately. (my wife and I really like this person, he is one of the nicest low key/honest sales reps I've ever dealt with). The vehicle he got for me was a black 3L with the metal trim.

The difference between this test drive and the last, is that my cool sales rep brought me into an empty parking lot packed with hard snow and ice from the previous days' storm. I got the chance to flog the car and see how the xdrive handled. From a dead stop, I floored it and the same time turned the wheel in an attempt to swing the back-end out. The X3 was as cool and composed as a cucumber. Next after getting up to about 30 mph, jammed on the brakes in an attempt to maker 'er skid. Not a chance. She stopped as straight as an arrow, ABS puslating. Never was able to get the DSC light on. My wife and I were both impressed.

On the dry roads, the handling was exemplary and was all BMW. As others have reported I felt or heard none of the following: wind noise, abupt transmission shifts, jarring/jiggly ride. Inside materials was different though commesurate with the current vehicle.

As far as nits go:

1. one cupholder?
    2. what happened to the infamous BMW thunk when the door is closed?

As an added bonus, I got the opportunity to check out a 760il and Z8, which were sitting side by side, (next to a fully optioned Imola red M3) on the showroom floor!
  • Options
    tps3tps3 Member Posts: 17
    I think, suffice it to say, that the Lincoln Aviator / Mercury Mountaineer market does not cross over much at all with the market BMW is addressing with the X3. So it's no surprise at all that you would not find the pricing of the X3 to be a good value. Similarly, it doesn't cause any surprise that you come to this conclusion without ever driving the X3. People focus on what's important to them, and clearly the driving experience wasn't a relevant data point for you, which is fine.

It's the same reason that to me, Sansabelt slacks are a bad value regardless of the price. But as any Lincoln dealer will tell you, there are plenty of people who find them to be fairly priced at $29.95. Value is in the eye of the purchasor.
  • Options
    scotth6scotth6 Member Posts: 43
    Ordered a loaded X3 3.0 in late November and it was built last week and will be here in 3 weeks.
    I got the sport, premium Pkg, better wheels, xenon, premium stereo, heated seats etc with a $46 sticker. I am probably not the typical X3 targeted buyer since I own a 2002M3 convertible and a 2003 M3 coupe and I am trading in my 2001 X5 with 45,000 miles.
    For the people who can't comprehend why people would spend $46k on an X3 drive a M3 and it will explain itself. BMW's are about 1)handling 2) not having what everyone else drives 3) the highest resale of any luxury brand(look it up if you don't believe me) 4) excellent quality 5) free maintanance for 4 years 6) great looks and more. I don't believe anyone ever accused BMW of having the best interiors, buy a Jag or an Audi if that is what turns you on. If you can't offord one don't bash them just buy a used one, maybe you can get my X5 from Hancock in Columbia, SC. I have had 8 BMW's and until they ever really dissapoint me I won't change brands.
    Having driven an X5 3.0 for 31/2 years I can tell you that the X3 handles a lot better. I wanted better gas milage and a lighter vehicle that was more fun to drive since I'm used to driving M3's. I have previously owned a 2001 330CIC, 1997 528I, 1996 328Ci, 1998 Z3 2.8 etc.
    My X5 had a lot of minor rattles and small problems but never any problems that would keep me off the road and all were fixed under warranty.
    I got a black X3 with the Terracota leather and dark wood trim and I think it will be beautiful.
  • Options
    "I got a black X3 with the Terracota leather and dark wood trim and I think it will be beautiful."

You think it will be beautiful. :)
  • Options
    you must see the full brochure view of the Terracota leather with black interior. It is beautiful and really screams luxury. My only complaint is the limited exterior colors available with Terracota. It really should be available with all colors...I can't think of one that it wouldn't complement.