Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X3

Comments

• npsdnpsd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks vsroman for your input. The invoice price is $35470 so the dealer is offering $1700 over invoice. I personally think it's a great profit...do you think I can do better?
  • adgrantadgrant Member Posts: 13
    I compared the X3 to the 325XiT because my wife currently drives the 325Xit and we were considering the X3 as an alternative to another 325Xit when the lease is up.

Also I consider SUV/SAVs like the X3 to be very similar AWD Station Wagons with more ground clearance and a higher center of gravity. SUVs like the Ford Explorer are Station Wagon bodies on a pickup truck frame. I think SUVs are much more popular because Station Wagons seem to have an image problem in this country (USA).

Regarding your 3 series, if you have had it nine years it must be an E36. I used to own one of these and the interior is much closer to the X3 than the interior of the E46 (which is the version of the 3 I was comparing the X3 to). IMHO the E46 is a much closer to the pervious 5 series in ride and interior quality than either the E36 or X3. It rides better too which in the New York City area is a definite plus.
  • lakshmanlakshman Member Posts: 47
    Can anyone please tell me the 4 functions of the on-board computer. I am also ordering the nav so I guess I get another 4 functions with that. I searched the manual and bmw website but could not find anything.

Any help is appreciated.
    I think I just figured out the 4 functions myself...
    Outside Temperature
    Average fuel consumption
    Cruising Range(Distance before you run out of gas)
    Average Speed

However, I still don't know the four that comes with the nav.
    Has anyone ordered hands free phone with your x3? can you give details related to cost and whether it is dealer or factory installed.

I am considering as it is going to be a law in NJ pretty soon.
    I remember reading a partnership with Nokia but couldn't remember where.
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    X3,Base Price USA Port of entry: $27,735 2.5: $33,195 3.0
    X3,Base Euro delivery price: $25,645 2.5: $30,720 3.0
    Munchen Delivery.
  • ashleyandersinashleyandersin Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone have any details regard a special leasing for the X-3? I am told that BMW is running a special until the end of March. Is it same for 2.5 and 3.0 Versions. If anyone knows the details, I would totally appreciate any information on them. I am having a hard time getting honest answers here in Southern California and also in trying to decide which model will be best!
  • sharkalasharkala Member Posts: 48
    I have to say this board has helped me decide to purchase the X3, 3.0. Has anyone seen the Flamenco Red? Please, please give me feedback on the privacy glass, should I bother? Any info on the universal homelink, are they in yet? Any input appreciated.
  • vsromanvsroman Member Posts: 95
    I have some pics of the red. Email me at bimmervsr@yahoo.com...
  • m5x3m5x3 Member Posts: 23
    With the nav, you also get a second mileage setting and speed limit warning, and you get altitude, miles to destination and a time to destination incorporated into the dual nav display.
  • m5x3m5x3 Member Posts: 23
    I've got to admit the privacy glass is not very dark. It may be cutting out some of the UV and might help a little in the summer, but the glass doesn't seem to make much difference at the moment.

My dealer thought they had the homelink mirror assembly, but it turns out the X3 assembly is different from other BMWs using this setup, so mine's still not available, and neither is the CD changer.
    Does anyone know if this can be added outside of the Prem Package? Is this something the dealer can install? It seems silly that you have to order the 3K prem package to get the convenience of a auto-rearvw mirror which is almost base equipment on other manufacturers...
  • mamgtmamgt Member Posts: 67
    I have to say, I like the fact that the privacy glass is not too dark. I provides some privacy, but it's not so dark that it obscures vision when checking the blind spot or backing-up at night.
  • harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    I took delivery of my X3 2.5 on Saturday. I can't express how happy I am with my choice. One thing I discovered though, was how crucial the tire pressure is to the ride quality.

When I picked up the car, the dealer had over inflated the tires by several PSI. I was shocked at how harsh the ride was on bumpy streets. This wasn't at all like my test drives. After I let some air out, and set to the correct PSI, the difference in ride quality was AMAZING!

I'm wondering if this may be a partial cause of the vastly differing opinions of ride quality and overall comfort in the various reviews here?
    The prodn date on my order confirmation was feb 8th but the dealer says it was produced on feb 18th. Isn't the prodn date given accurate?
    My car is still awaiting shipment.
  • naciancenonacianceno Member Posts: 7
    I love the Silver Gray but also the beige interior but not sure if they will match... Does anyone have any thoughts or have seen anything like this?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Silver Gray with the Natural Brown? very nice.. At least on a 3-series.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I orderer black exterior. First I considered the beige interior as it looked good from outside. But, when I sat inside the beige was too bright. I wasn't sure if it will be enjoyable on the long run. Maintenance is another thing, even the slightest stain will be more prominent.
    I finally ordered black interior as I like things to be subtle.
  • ulepulep Member Posts: 63
    saw the leatherrete at my dealership. it almost looked like real leather. cant tell which one is which until yo touch them.
        the other day i checked the status of my order and it said "at the port awaiting a shipping vessel", i was shocked because last week it was already in transit and OC order tracking says it's en route. nobody can explain this to me. customer service said it should be at the vpc by now. and my dealer cannot confirm this too. did anybody have this experience and can help me with this. I'm sick of waiting, ordered my x3 silver grey in the first week of december.
  • mjmx3mjmx3 Member Posts: 17
    Ulep: as of today my X3 has the same status as your's "at the port awaiting a shipping vessel" when I checked its status via BMW's 800 number. However using BMW OC on line, it states it is at the preparation center. I believe the latter to be the true status as I have been "En route" for just over 3 weeks.

I ordered my X3 the very end of November.

MJM
    MSRP 43,345 -- Prem Pkg, Auto, Xenon, Heat Seats, Met Pt, etc.
    Sale 41,545

Lease, 15K per year, 42 months, res. 53%
    Inception 1800 (700 sec dep, 1st pay, lic, reg)
    PMT incl 6% sales tax == $653.00
    Is this a durable interior? With toddlers in car seats, will this surface be easier or harder to keep clean?

Any advice? I'm thinking about dropping the prem pkg which means no leather.
    i think leatherette is durable enough. for me its better than fabric seats. i just dont like the rubberry feel when i touched it. but it really looks like real leather. easier to clean in my opinion.
    i was looking at the 3 series leatherrette, i dont know if the x3 has the same.
  • bmwvirginbmwvirgin Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered the 2.5 with manual transmission. Anyone driven one yet? Seems odd to order a car without first driving it, but apparently the only way to get one to the dealership (Sonnen-Marin), and I will be under no obligation to purchase with full deposit back if not satisfied. I was unsure when to do the price negotiations, and asked my sales guy, we did it upon ordering. I told him I knew from the internet discussions that folks were getting around $1500 off MSRP, he did not bat an eye, and said he could do that. Makes me think he could go easily go lower. Now I'm wondering if I will be able to do any further negotiations upon delivery? Anyone have experience with this. And anymore drivers of the 2.5 to assure me that I'm not paying $$$$ for a slug.
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    I have leatherette in my BMW and I love it. I have two young kids who have their muddy soccer cleats all over it. Not to mention the occasional piece of gum, pen mark, etc. It wipes clean with a damp cloth. The only negative is it doesn't breath like leather, so your back can get a bit moist in the summer.
  • mjmx3mjmx3 Member Posts: 17
    Ulep: Since your X3 is at the preparation center, your dealer can assign it a "Priority 1" status which will expedite its processing and shipment to the dealer.

Hope this helps!

MJM
  • ashleyandersinashleyandersin Member Posts: 34
    I have driven both models and personally I drive like a snail but I found there was a very noticeable difference between the two models. I felt there was a lag in pick up and I am not that picky since I drive conservatively. I was disappointed that the 2.5 didn't really get better gas mileage than the 3.0. I was once CERTAIN that I would purchase a 2.5 but now I'm not sure, it may be worth the difference.

I got a price quote on a lease last month and I haven't bought yet but since my quote I noticed that BMW has lowered the money factor and is offering a lease incentive through March. I am getting the details on the lease from Car Man in the leasing section of Edmunds town hall. Hopefully, I will have a reply soon but if you are interested in the details you can just do a search using my name is the Lease section.

I am wondering if I can get a better deal on a 3.0 a dealer might have on the lot as opposed to ordering my 2.5 with a few options. I don't want to get a premium package and all and that but I do want leather. If anyone has any feedback concerning this e-mail me at A-O - L.
    Are BMW dealers offering a bigger discount on the 3.0 as opposed to the 2.5?
  • scotth6scotth6 Member Posts: 43
    As M5X5 mentioned previously the dealers are not correct in saying all x3's have gray carpet. My Black X3 3.0 arrived at the dealer today(ordered in late Nov) and I have black carpet with the terracotta leather. I think all prototypes sent to the dealers initally had gray carpet but they are not being built that way which is good. I wanted black carpet and thats what I got but the dealer said I would get gray carpet. The people ordering beige leather may not get gray carpet.
  • mitchw1mitchw1 Member Posts: 1
    I have seen photos of the X3 with color matched bumpers. Has anyone else seen this and if so do you know if it is an available option?
    I was also first leaning towards the 2.5, but after adding some of the options I wanted like power seats, auto air, fog lights, rain sensing wipers, on-board computer,etc. which are all standard on the 3.0, the difference in price was not that great--only about $3,000 plus. I never test drove the 2.5, but I was also concerned that with the AC on and a full load, I might feel the loss of power more on the 2.5.
    thanks!! i didn't know that. my salesperson told me that we may be able to pick up the vehicle on tuesday. but if it doesnt work out i will surely ask him about it.
    I was at the dealer yesterday and they just received the accessory catalog for X3's and the only color matched bumpers they are aware of are part of the add on aero package which is $2595.
    You can now also get 19" rims and some other things but no garage door opener which is pretty stupid. I believe the new BMW assist which fits in the roof takes up the space so the opener will have to fit in the mirrow just like the one I had added to my M3 convertible.
    I would believe that you would get a much better deal on a X3 3.0 with a lot of options vs a stripped 2.5 simply because of the gross profit $ available. Typically the options would have a higher mark up to work with and the total selling price is higher so again you have higher gross margin the dealer can work with. I can't give you hard facts because I'm trading in an X5 so it complicates the deal.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I have a 325 and notice the mileage is worse than with the 3.0 l. I suspect the lower mileage on the smaller engine is due to gearing. The 2.5 l gear ratios are different from the 3.0 The gearing helps the car get up and go to account for the smaller engine. So as a result, the engine runs at higher RPM's. I've seen discussions on the 3 Series forum that talk about cruising at 70. The 2.5 does it around 3,500 or so and the 3.0 does it around 1,000 rpm less (REALLY fuzzy on the numbers).

-Paul
    "I've seen discussions on the 3 Series forum that talk about cruising at 70. The 2.5 does it around 3,500 or so and the 3.0 does it around 1,000 rpm less".

I guess that means the X3 3.0 would have a bit of a quieter ride than the X3 2.5 at cruising speed. Wonder if one could really tell the difference?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I would think the 3.0 to be quieter, but I haven't driven one. My 325 is by no means loud. And it by no means rough. The BMW inlines are probably some of the smoothest engines out there, regardless of operating rpm's. Quietness would depend on the type and amount of insulation installed on the X3 since the engines are the same engine, just tuned (exhaust) differently (and probably a few other tweaks).

I used to have a Honda Civic Si that cruised at 75 at near 5,000. Talk about noisy. But the Civic didn't have a lot of insulation either. :)
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    My lease is up in June and I plan to get an X3. Based on the posts, I wonder when I should order to ensure a mid-June delivery?? Or maybe there will be more inventory at the dealers by then? Right now, my dealer doesn't have any other than a test model.
    I would count on ten weeks for delivery but you have two other options. Your dealer can get you out of your lease real easy especially if your close to the end. I am trading in my X5 tommorrow for my X3 which I ordered in late Nov and my lease doesn't expire until May 15. I have done this twice before and its really no problem because the BMW's usually have such a high resale and residual value. As long as the car is in good shape without repairs needed and you haven't blown out the milage. The other thing the dealer can do is trade out with another BMW dealer for inventory. Any dealer can get a list of available inventory at other dealers and swap cars, it usually costs $2-300 to ship from another dealer if its not close.
    I have bought 9 new BMW's since 1995 so I have experience doing it both ways.
    Just picked up my X3 3.0 today and so far it has exceeded my expectations. The all black interior looks very expensive and on par with any 3 series. I was pleasantly suprised to find out that it has automatic headlights which I wasn't aware of as well as an auxilary lighter/power plug for the back seat which I didn't remember from the test model. I would highly recommend the Terracotta leather which looks real nice with the all black interior.
    This is the first time I actually got to drive the sport package since the test model did not have it. I have the Y spoke wheel package with the wider rear wheels which by the way are Dunlops. The ride is dead even between my M3 and the X5 without sport package that I turned in. I would compare it to the 2001 330cic (convertible)
    I had which had the sport package with 17' wheels. It is comparable because the convertibles run several hundred pounds heavier than the coupes and sedans. The ride is not harsh at all so I really don't know where some of the test drive comments from some magizines are coming from unless they were prototypes. It is a lot tighter and lighter than the X5 and has a nice feel but soft compared to my M3.
    How is the "thump" factor on the doors of your new X3? The demos felt a bit hollow. Also, what ext color did you choose to go with the black/terr interior? Did you get the upgraded sound system? If so, any thoughts on that?

Congrats on your new X3!
  • x3rx3r Member Posts: 21
    Congratulations on the arrival of your new X3. Could you share a bit more detail regarding the interior of you vehicle. I also have the black interior on order in an X3 3.0. Is the entire interior solid black including the carpet and upper dash or is anything actually gray? Also, what color is your headliner? Did you get the aluminum trim by any chance and if so how do you like it?

Thanks for your thoughts on the ride quality as well. I found your notes helpful.

Enjoy!
    The aerodynamic kit has an MSRP of $2,595 and a center net of $1,685.00. It requires painting and installation by body shop. I posted several picture sites in an earlier message.
    Thanks for your super X3 evaluation.
    I have been waiting to submit my order for European Delivery until a Sport Package vehicle arrives. Because one hasn't appeared at my dealership I have not seen the style 114 wheels that you have with your Sport Package. If you have or could take digital images of the vehicle I would appreciate if you could send them to:
    cascade.telcom@verizon.net
    Thanks.
  • rfrithrfrith Member Posts: 18
    It may have been posted here before but just in case... the most accurate way to track you BMW order is via phone. You can call BMW NA at 1-800-831-1117 and follow the prompts. You will want to use 'Vehicle Production Status'. You'll find that information is days ahead of Owners Circle. Also, I notice European Delivery mentioned several times on the Board. My wife and I picked up her BMW on European Delivery last Spring and we'll be returning in a few weeks to pick up my X3. The experience is something that everyone who loves to travel and loves BMW's should experience if they can. The savings could pay for your trip.
    My x3 2.5 is arriving on March 15th. Meanwhile, I got to test drive 2.5i. Dealer gave me the keys and asked me to take it for a spin.
    I really liked the spaciousness (considering that I was going to buy 325xi initially) and the moon-roof. The pick-up was not as much as the 3.0 (obviously), in fact there was a bit of a drag. However, when I changed to the sports mode the drive was near perfect. My logic in going for 2.5 is that if X5 is good with 3.0 then X3 is must be good with 2.5.
    I sat with the dealer to find out the rates about the other options.
    1. Alarm system - Dealer says no one takes this option and the only benefit is you get the sound when you lock/unlock it. 295 Parts 200 Labor. I checked with my insurance company I would save 15$ per year with the alarm system. The only way to steal the car is by flat-bedding.
    2. Cable for MP3-player - Yet to arrive but the cost is just 30$, I am not sure how much it will cost to install it.
    3. Floor mats - Though we discussed no mats during the initial negotiation, he said he will throw them in. Which was a nice gesture. I may later add the all weather mats which are again cheap (40+ for the front and 20+ for the rear).
    4. Phone - I thought it will be cheaper to have the phone installed since it is pre-wired and we have button in the steering for phone. The dealer says it will cost 2000+ $ and the phone is provided by bmw and may be obsolete soon. He also said that we can take it to verizon and have it installed. Have any of you tried this? I would really like to have this as I hate hands-free and it is going to be a law in NJ to not use cell phone while driving.

I think it is good to be in nice terms with your sales person. I know I would have saved few hundred $ more if I had gone elsewhere but the service wouldn't have been the same. I read somewhere that you need to schedule the service through your sale advisor.

If anyone wants to pick-up, the accessory list is available at the dealership.

Again, if any of you have made your cell phone work with the car button/speaker please let me know.
  • sharkalasharkala Member Posts: 48
    Lakshman, can you tell me which dealer in NJ has the 2.5. Did it have any pick up at all. What other options did you get in the car? thanks.
    I test drove at Princeton. I am sure others will have it too. You can call up and check.

As someone already said, it depends on what you are currently driving or comparing it to. It does have a satisfying pick-up but again it depends on the one who is driving. For me, it was not worth spending 6K more for 3.0, I'd rather go to X5 for that.

I just got the basic 2.5 not even premium package. However, I added the moon-roof and navigation system. The thing that keeps my enthusiasm up is the nav. I have a poor sense of direction and my wife is not a reliable navigator with printed directions. It is also a cool gadget to have.

One thing that I forgot to mention is the power seats, it is good and the upward-downward range is very high. You can have it elevated if you want.
    vsroman-I do agree the doors do not make the usual thump associated with BMW's and the doors feel light, I guess in order to knock out 600 pounds from the X5 the doors had to give up something. I have the jet black exterior. I do have the premium sound but I really didn't give it much of a workout as I was more interested in the handling, engine and ride. I'm out of town now so when I get back I'll compare it to my M3 which has premium sound, generally I thought it sounded pretty good.
    x3r-everything on the interior is black with the exception of the top 1/3 of the dash which is a mid to dark gray. The doors, carpet, headliner and console are black. The only thing not black is the actual leather portion of the seats and the leather arm rest portion of the doors. My dealer is giving me two sets of mats, black carpeted ones and black rubber ones and I ordered a black rubber mat that covers the entire cargo area. I got the dark wood trim which looks pretty good. The moon roof is fantastic and the sport seats with lumbar support are as good or better than my M3.
    Again, I read a review in AutoWeek Saturday which ripped the ride of the X3 for being too harsh and I still don't understand it. I think the people writing these reviews don't understand the target buyer. BMW is known for sport sedans and sports cars and handling and a firm ride are part of this. BMW has the "cushy" ride covered with the X5. My X3 handles better than I anticipated and I really think they went with this size and weight so they can do an M version. If they dropped the M3 engine in this vehicle it would smoke any sport utility because it really handles nice, its really like a 330ci with the sport package. I know I love BMW's but I am truly puzzled by someone saying the ride is too harsh and I wounder what they are comparing it to, Maybe compared to most sport utilities it will feel very firm but not compared to a M3 or 330 ci with the sport package so again I say firm as compared with what. If you don't want or like the ride look at the Lexas RX330 or X5 without the sport package which is soft compared to the X3.
  • x3rx3r Member Posts: 21
    Scotth6-Thanks again for your timely and excellent notes regarding the interior and ride quality of your X3. That is reassuring on all accounts for me. If you have the navigation system option on your vehicle, could you provide some thoughts on its use/usefulness. Congratulations again on you X3 arrival. I am really looking forward to mine arriving in about 3 weeks. It is listed as "Produced not shipped". How long did yours take to ship over by the way. Thanks again for your thoughts.
  • harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    I took some measurements Saturday on my X3 2.5 automatic.

At 65mph the tach was at 2200rpm and I was getting 25mpg.

At 70mph the tach was reading 2400rpm and the mileage was about 24.5

At highway speeds there is little engine or road noise, it is very smooth running, and I have no problems accelerating to pass other cars. The 2.5 may not win many drag races, but there is plenty of power for my needs.