Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy S10 Owner Reviews

1789101113»

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, thanks for this owners club! I need a favor, though. I started a thread in "Pickups" for "OLDER S-10s," and it has been archived. Could this thread be re-activated and pulled into this owners club?

I would like to have a discussion specifically for those of us who own the older S-10 pickups, like from 1993 on back. I am picking that model year simply because that was the last year for the old body style.

It's nice to compare notes with others who have high mileage older S-10s and see what repairs they have had to make, and how many miles of service they are getting on their trucks.

Whatcha think, Karen?

Thanks,

tom
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    glad to see you back, tom. and i too miss the older s-10 room, for what its worth...maybe more "signatures" can get it back.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Apparently, Bob has re-activated Older S-10's. I would still like to see it moved over here to the S-10 Owners Club, but at least it is active again.

tom
  • nate66nate66 Member Posts: 4
    I just got a new S10, couldn't pass up the $3252.00 rebate, on top of the Option 1 discount. I got a stripped down 2.2, since this is just a commuter, and I'll do a little hauling.

So far, I love the truck. It's nice to get back into a truck. I used to have a 99 V8 Sierra, but I had to trade it in for a car based SUV, when my wife and I had a baby. The only problem is the cheap steel wheels. Anyone have any suggestions on some really cheep alloy wheels?
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Sister's Blazer had a leaking intake gasket (internal) and needed to replace the engine with a GM crate motor, since rebuilding the existing one would be almost as costly, besides new motor has a 3yr/50k warranty. So word of caution, notice of loss of coolant over a short period of time, have an oil analysis done since it was an internal leak. Leaking intake gaskets in GM vehicles doesn't seem to be uncommon. A service advisor commented a few years ago when my GM truck had a external intake gasket leak that they don't design the engine components to fit as well as they should and use of liquid gaskets is used to fill the gaps. Wouldn't suprise me if this is true.
  • sab7sab7 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at buying a 94 s10 ext cab 4x4 with v6 and 133K miles as a third vehicle/work truck. Anything in particulkar I should watch out for?

Thanks.
  • doggitdoggit Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 1984 with a 2.8L and it was a tough little truck. Didn't have power steering thought and without it steering was really hard. Since bought a new 95 S-10 v-6 ext cab. Most trouble free vehicle I ever owned. Now looking at a 2002
    ZR-5 4wd crew cab package. A little concerned
    about them being discontinued. Any thoughts on the 2002?
  • joe1969joe1969 Member Posts: 4
    The current S10 has another year to go until the '04 replacement, I plan on buying a '03 and then see what this new Colorado looks like the following year.

Now if Chevy would only put the I6 in the Silverado......gotta see what that thing looks like with its redesign in September.
  • cajun626cajun626 Member Posts: 54
    The owner's manual for my 2WD '97 recommends CHECKING the differential fluid level at certain intervals. I'm at 41K miles. My dealer told me today that I should have already changed the fluid. I've taken several non-GM vehicles over 100K miles without changing diff fluid. Any recommendations?
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    The dealers charge a ton for this, and they use the same petroleum lube that came from the factory. Buy some synthetic fluid from Autozone or Pep Boys, get a new gasket, and do it yourself.

I'm gonna do it on my 2000 S-10 with 32K on it very soon.

Joe
  • cajun626cajun626 Member Posts: 54
    The dealer wants $50, but I would probably do it myself. Why are you changing at 32K? What does your manual recommend?
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I was cautioned by a Quaker State tech rep to stay with "dino" gear oil if you're near or above 50,000 miles.
    It has something to do with the additives being compatible with the seals and so forth, over a period of time and miles. Just a word of caution to you all.......
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    Converting from regular to synthetic oil from the engine to the rear end should give about one more MPG. As for the wear factor, the synthetic has clearly been shown to be superior.

I've talked to shop owners that replaced valve cover gaskets or timing chains on 200K miles engines run on synthetic from new, and they all had NO sludge, and were still running strong.

By the way, if you have been reading some of the other forums, the S-10 is looking more and more like the 'little engine that could.' The 'new' engines in some Silverados and Yukons have problems, and now there is a forum saying the 4L60E transmissions are not holding up well. Yet, when you go over to the 'Older S-10" forum, there are a lot of these trucks easily running well past 150K miles or more.

Joe
  • joe1969joe1969 Member Posts: 4
    I've seen lots of full size Chevys with well over 250,000 on em and never had the valve covers off. That engine in a S10 geez almost as good as a I6!
  • joe3891joe3891 Member Posts: 759
    Well you can buy a base 03 chevy Cavalier with the 140 hp ECO-TEC 2.2 but the 03 S-10 still has the 120 hp 2.2.I think the S-10 needs the extra HP more than the Cavy.Sometimes I can't figure out GM.
  • len_zingerlen_zinger Member Posts: 3
    ok, I put my other message in the wrong spot. Does anyone have any experience with pulling an RV Trailer with an s10. I have a 1995 s10, 3.08, 47,000 kms and I'm wondering what if anything I can pull. Friends are telling me the truck is too small.
    To ask for towing data you should state type cab & bed size 2 or 4X4 WD,engine and transmission.

2 WD,Std cab,short box,4.3L, 3:08, manual trans is rated 4000 lbs max.

I will not tow more than the payload on my Sonoma that is 1000 lbs and its tow rating is 3200 lbs.
  • len_zingerlen_zinger Member Posts: 3
    My S10 is 2WD, Auto Trans, short box, 4.3L engine, 3.08. I believe the truck is rated to tow 5400 lbs. I was hoping that I could handle one of these hybrid RV trailers rated at 2500 lbs and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
    I think you need a 3.42 ratio for 5400 lbs,3.08 is kind of tall.
  • go10go4go10go4 Member Posts: 4
    I am shopping for another S-10 used. My last had a 2.8 engine V-6 - EXTREMELY reliable. Almost 200,000 with NO engine repairs. That's no longer available. I'm having a hard time finding a 4.3; almost all seem to have the 2.2 4 cyl. Any experiences with these engines? I have heard the 2.2 is underpowered. Is it durable?
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    My dad just got a 02 xcab, 4x4, 4.3,auto,
    loaded up too in Black ! He traded a 99
    4 cyl auto a/c reg cab S-10 2 wd 30k miles
    trouble free too! He decided the reg cab
    2 wd can't cut these brutal snowy NY winters.
    I have been driving it for a week having a
    bedliner , stepsheilds,etc installed He is
    using my 01 2500 to tow the camper and big
    boat.
    Fit and finish are great, buckets are comfy,
    cd cranks, power everything too ! 4.3 can
    get moving but too new to BEAT on ! LOL

The only dislike is the plastic piece on
    the seat adjuster rail sticks out and pokes
    the heck out of my left leg ! Will check it
    out and modify it if possible !.....
    Anybody else notice this ?..........geo
    My dad swapped his 99 4 cyl. S-10 auto.
    Yea it was slow with the A/C on but great
    on gas. My dad used it to TOW his bass
    boat or the twin Jet skis ! Or he hauled
    stuff in it for our never ending building
    maint. Never a problem with it.
    Just slow. He wanted 4wd.
    But just crusin' it was fine...geo
  • bjm7bjm7 Member Posts: 1
    Looking at "Older S-10's", apparently I'm not the only one with a great beater that just won't die. It's a '93 w/2wd, 2.8, man. 225k,uses less than a quart between oil changes, still getting 27-29mpg highway. Bought at 100k, only repairs are water pump, alternator, heater core, and muffler/tailpipe since. No silly A/C to suck the gas before dying. Other than routine maintenance, less than $200 in total repairs. Wish they still made 'em.
  • pecanwoodspecanwoods Member Posts: 2
    Requesting Info: please tell me what the following things stand for, as I do not speak "truck/car" jargon: 1. "LS" 2. "S14" (my truck is an S10 but is registered as "S14" - Why?
    Also, any experiences with rust-proofing?
    Just bought this truck Friday...spent the weekend cruising the Adirondacks...Love It!!
  • robsmithrobsmith Member Posts: 71
    What is the seating configuration of the 2002 & 2003 S-10 extended cabs? Edmunds lists the seating capacity as 4. Does this mean that even with a bench seat you can only seat 2 in the front?

I'm looking for a vehicle mostly to commute to work in and carry a few large items now and then. I have 4 kids and a mini-van hauls the entire family but it would be nice to be able to fit most of the family in the S-10 in a pinch when the van is unavailable.
    you have 3 seat belts in front like my 99 Sonoma.
    o2 S-10 xcab here..........Buckets in front
    only 1 little jump seat in rear. So only
    seats 3....Maybe with bench seating for 4
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    Does anyone know if there is an after market fluid for the S10 manual 5 speed transmission. I checked Auto zone and the computer just listed the GM #. Has anyone changed the fluid? I have a 97 2.2 liter with 86000 miles and would like to change the fluid to make me feel good. However the high dollar dealer GM fluid may not give me a warm fuzzy felling.

I pulled those 100,000 mile spark plugs and they were burned up. Had an 0.080" gap instead of the original 0.060" gap. Removing those boots was a real challenge. I think I set a record in taking the longest time to replace 4 spark plugs.
    sparkplugs don't last that long.I am now rotating mine every 20K to try to even out the wear,2 fire positive & 2 fire negative.
  • robsmithrobsmith Member Posts: 71
    Thanks sonjaab. I didn't realize it only has 1 jump seat.

Thanks for the info.
    One jump seat on the right side with A
    little cupholder/console in the center.
    Only 1 rear door on left side ! Ya sit
    with your back to the side ! Great for
    a kid back there an adult forget it !
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    Just bought a new '03 S10 Chevy clone (GMC Sonoma 4WD Crewcab) I've had 4 S10's ('87 4X4 2.8, '88 S10 4.3 long bed, '91 4X4 Tahoe 4.3, '00 Xtreme 2.2). Best was the '87, worst the '91. My new Crewcab has the 190hp 4.3. Truck weighs 4000 lbs, ultra smooth, a little sluggish. limiter cuts in at 96 mph. I installed a K & N. Plan to install low restriction exhaust and Hypertech programmer. I hope this is a good truck. This will be last year for S10's. Being replaced by new larger Colorado (Isuzu) type trucks.

Regards to all S10 lovers and haters...
  • jscholtzjscholtz Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 S10 2WD 4.3 6CYL is still running strong after 48k miles. While I have had no mechanical problems with the engine or drive train, I have a few minor gripes to get off my chest.

I don't like the Uniroyal TigerPaws that came with the truck. Either the rear end of the truck is too light or my tail loves to spin out under the slightest acceleration through a turn on a wet surface. The lettering on the sidewalls have started to wear off. I plan on replacing all four tires soon. Any recommendations for good road tires?

The automatic transmission has an annoying downshift behavior whenever I try to overtake. Aggressively accelerating results in some unexpected down and up shifting. Being a little more tender on the accelerator works a lot better.

What is wrong with all the handles? In the last year, I have broken both seat back handles and the third door handle. I had no hassle getting those fixed by the dealer.

The third door is very convenient for stashing stuff in the extended cab. Unfortunately this results in some rattle on the driver side on rough road surfaces.

The truck has a governor that cuts the engine power around 96mph (or so I have been told).

Apart from these minor inconveniences, I am glad to report a smooth car like ride for those long road trips I love to take. Good stock sound system. The seats are comfortable and the gauges are very visible. Fuel consumption (for a 6) is nice at 24MPG (highway). Very good cup holders for various different containers.

My girl friend does not like the lack of a lighted vanity mirror on the passenger side.
  • caramocaramo Member Posts: 93
    Did you happen to mention to her that it's a freakin' TRUCK? LOL!
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    8" Rim/tire (Goodyear) P235/55 R16 from S10 Xtreme ZQ8 chassis models. Great handling all road surfaces including rain, smooth, long lasting if wheel spin kept to minimum. I ve had Uniroyals both all season and ATX all terrain and have been very unsatisfied with them.

Good luck

Andy
  • rayg3rayg3 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone encountered squeaky breaks on a 4 cyl 2000 5 speed S-10? I took it into a tire dealer and they said it was brake dust. It sounds like a brake wear indicator is rubbing against the rotors. Also, is there anything I can buy to eliminate the noise. The truck is great. I had a 94 ranger 4cyl 5-speed before this and the Chevy is much smoother and quieter and accelerates better.

Thanks
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    If it sounds like the brake pad wear indicator it probably is worn out pads. I would suggest that you spray the disk and caliper with brake clean from Wally world or Auto Zone, but you probably should remove the wheels as the cleaner is not kind to wheel surfaces. But if you had the wheels off you could look and see if the wear indicator is touching the disk.
  • japiquianjapiquian Member Posts: 2
    I am a women and have no idea why I get a ping sound when I idle for gas. I have tried better gas and fuel injector. I need help. I have only 13,000 miles. Truck was used at summer home. I changed spark plugs and 2 were not even getting spark. That helped the jumping.I know this truck as alot of sensors. Can anyone help.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.