Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac STS/STS-V: What's New for 2007?

Comments

• jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Has anyone else came upon this news that Cadillac is considering offering the "GM EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT" plan to the "average Joe" customer to incite sales.
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    Yes, GM has announce these sales incentives for most vehicles. National advertising to begin this weekend. Available until July 15th, I believe.

You will NOT be disappointed in the new STS if you are looking for a true
    sports sedan combing performance, luxury, technology and, with the current deals, real value. I tested them all - Audi, MB, Lexus, BMW, Acura, and Infiniti.
    Only the Infiniti M35/45 came close. More "toys" for the dollar, but "just another jelly-bean looking" car. The STS has a unique bold, edgy style. The icing on the cake? - it's Made in America!
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I have not done extensive 'testing of the waters', to determine what a TMV / actual transaction price in my area would be, since last Fall.

My sense is that a 1SF (MSRP: $58,785) for $51,930, with limits on fees, etc. represents a reasonable value - assuming the dealer offers a realistic value on any trade involved.

[[ Edit: The Edmunds TMV has clearly NOT been updated to reflect 'The GMS Effect" - and still shows $58,3 as TMV for a 1SF STS V8 with MSRP: $58,8. ]]

- Ray
    Debating if talking with a dealer is worth the time . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    My dealer is advertising the employee discounts on cadillacs. The advertised price was for an STS that lists for $45,240 that is now $39,598. Their XLR is discounted $8,847. Trade in's will be worth whatever they use for value....
    I know that my Seville is worth more to me than anyone else....
  • bad2thebonebad2thebone Member Posts: 5
    Motor trend was speculating the the new ZO6 would cost 75k. Check this out. The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges. I spoke with a lady from Cadillac at the auto show and she said the STSV would be under 70K. Since the both of the vechiles are coming out the GM's performance center, it would be conceivable the STSV will start under 70k or right about that. I am sure GM will price it more than the Vette, just because it is a Cadillac. At the auto show in motion I drove the new vette, GTO,CTSV,SSR,STS V8 RWD, AWD. The vette is so powerful, it is just scary, the GTO felt a little more tame. CTSV is just a sweetheart, I was surprised, it is a fast Cadillac. I also drove a BMW 530, it was ok. The GM cars all handled better. The lines this year was for the new GM cars, especially the six speeds. The base engine in the STS has a lot of power with the V VT.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Please update us as you get some miles on the car. I am astounded at that low mpg. My wife's 00 Eldo ESC, a big car with 275 Northstar horses and 33K miles, pulled 31 mpg on an 1100 mile trip we drove a couple of months ago. That was highway, doing about 70 mph average, and on regular gas. I figured the new STS would do at least as well, but with the new engine maybe not. :shades:
    Premium is the recomended fuel. If you were using the computer average gas mileage, then it might be low if you did not reset it before leaving on the trip. If you highway mileage is computed based on the actual fuel added to the tank after the trip was over, then your calculations should be close.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    in unbelievable. It is a work of art in there! The only thing is... waiting for a better V version to come out.

You guys that bought the STS, how is the interrior like for you, with noise and all that?
  • orlandogtporlandogtp Member Posts: 2
    Have V6. Very little wind noise. Engine does growl at full throttle which sounds good and sporty. Otherwise engine noise very muted.

If you want one buy now with employee discount. Will not get cheaper.
  • hmcpropertieshmcproperties Member Posts: 8
    Does this package include a Sunroof? Materials I have look at are a bit confusing.
    I think that the sunroof is a zero cost option. So to get the sunroof, it must be ordered, but costs nothing. At this point in time it is too late to order a new 2005 model. What the actual options are for 2006 is not clear regarding cost.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Every Cadillac post 2000 does not run on regular fuel. Escalades, SRX V8, STS V8 all are recommended to have premium fuel. You are confusing the previous Northstar with the new incarnation. sls002 was exactly correct.
  • bernsterbernster Member Posts: 29
    Got a quote from a South Florida dealer for a STS premium luxury performance listing at 60,835 (employee discount of 53,511) for a 3 year lease with 12k miles per yr of 678 per month with 1539 at inception. Anybody get a better quote?
  • bosshoggbosshogg Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone figured out how to overide the STS nav. to play movies while driving?
    I have the code for the DHS,DTS,CTS,SRX and XLR but I cant figure out the STS yet. Serious inquiry's only please.

BOSS
    :^ D
  • bosshoggbosshogg Member Posts: 16
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=9019 and Folks this is only the beginning.

BOSS
    ;^ )
  • dilldill Member Posts: 31
    (1) Why, what is the point?

(2) Why endanger yourself?
    (3) Why endanger other drivers?

It is common knowledge at this point in time that cell phones while driving are distracting to drivers and according to the latest cell phone study released yesterday they found that even the hands free cell phones make people 4 times more likely to get into accidents. Cell phones don't require vision to get information from the phone accept during the generally small period of time it takes to dial a number. A movie on a display in a car requires visual attention, not just your hearing the movies audio. Why would you ever watch a movie while you are driving? That is not too smart. I'll be honest with you, if I ever clearly saw a driver watch a movie on a display in their car as they were on the highway, I would call the cops in a heartbeat. Clearly if you are looking at a movie instead of watching the road ahead of you, you are on par with the impaired abilities of a drunk driver in terms of your of driving. - Just because you might be able to defeat the DVD operation while driving the car doesn't mean you should. The DVD's nav. operating in park was put into the car as safety feature and perhaps should be treated as such that shouldn't be defeated. You defeat that system and you cause a death from negligence you'll have wished you never messed with it in the first place. - :mad:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Defeating that system is illegal in many places, so we're not going to discuss methods here.

Thanks.
    I have seen two SUVs with DVD's playing in the front in the last two months. I just couldn't believe it when I saw it the first time. Driver was alone. The imbecile was doing 30 mph in a 45 mph zone, and in the passing lane to boot. Never a cop around when you need one. I would consider it reckless operation if nothing else. :shades:
    I don't care what big brother tells me to do. If i cad override the system than i would, because ikno other people can be idiots, but i know i am not one of them.

By not letting yourself enjoy something because it kills stupid people, then you are calling yourself stupid. In my case, i would never watch it while i was driving, but meybe so my passangers could watch it while we were driving (including the front passenger).

Obviously im not going to ask for a code here, the host just said we should not talk about it. I agree that idiots should be kept from watching dvds while the car is driving, but you know what, the rest of us should not have to pay for an idiots mistake.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, let's not get bogged down in the reasons why DVDs should or should not be viewable from the driver's seat while the vehicle is in motion. That's not the topic here.
  • zekeceezekecee Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get an answer??? I have a SRX 2005. I need that as well!!!
    Thanks
    in terms of rear seat room? I know it has slightly more than the CTS, but does it have as much as the E class, BMW 5, GS or M35/45?

Does it comfortably fit a six foot tall person, without hitting the front seats? Here is one interesting thing, how about an STS Long Wheel Base?

Probably save that one for the higher up line like... XTS??? They already have the XLR, why not a 75K sedan?

The seat room in the STS is what really interests me, though. Caddy could be loosing potential sales here.
    has been upgraded to 469 horsepower.
  • bobt4bobt4 Member Posts: 1
    On some Freeways where I live and many streets my new 05 STS gives a very rough (bumpy) ride. I don't know if it is because I am used to a Buick Park Ave, but it seems to me to be excessive. My car's tires are Michelins, P255/45 R17 on the rear and P235/50 R17 on the front. A person I met driving a CTS told me he had solved the bumpy/rough ride by increasing the size of his tires to 55 from 50. My dealer is willing to replace my tires at a reasonable price but they propose putting on 50 on front AND BACK and changing to a softer tire than the Michelin. I am concerned about increasing the size of only the back tire (45 to 50) because the car already is low in front and high in the back, and this would seem to tilt it even more. Has anyone had any experience with tire size and ride quality? And what do you think about changing only the rear tire size?
    BobT4
    A P235/50 R17 would be nearly the same size as your 255/45's. Your 255/45 are about 115 mm high (ground to rim), a 235/50 is about 117 mm high. A bit higher, so your rear end would be even more tilted (about 3 mm->or 1/8 inch). But this is nearly the same size, so your speedometer will not be off much.
    I can't comment on tire size changing. But I can offer the following: Like you, I drove a Park Ave. Then traded up to a Park Ave Ultra. The Ultra ride was stiffer - but better cornering, better control. Then I moved into the STS. Yet an even stiffer ride - with much better control. You have bought Luxury Sports Sedan. Built to compete with BMW 5, Infiniti M35.45, etc. If you wanted the "floating sofa" ride that a base PA offers, you bought the wrong car. But if you wanted a great Luxury Sports Sedan, you bought the best. And made in the USA ! It took me a month or more to adjust to the ride, steering, and smaller size. In return I got performance, control, a more sensible size, top build quality, Lexus-like service, great styling and larger dose of the "wow" factor.
    What is your real world mpg with your STS? Is it a 6 or 8? I've held off shopping them until I get a real world idea of the mpg I can expect. My wife's 00 Eldo does 32 mpg on the highway at 70 mph and about 23 mpg around town. I don't expect that good with the bigger STS engine, but one guy reported 14 mpg on his first tankful and that is unacceptable. :shades:
  • mnjoemnjoe Member Posts: 36
    with less than a thousand miles on my new car, the internal mpg computer is reporting 17.5-18 mpg in mixed driving. Haven't ran the numbers myself.
    STS with V6. 4000 Miles. 24.5 Hwy 16.5 - 17 City. Calculated by hand. The V8 is rated better on the Hwy and less in the city. Regular gas for the V6 V6 is real torquey and fun to drive. Almost the same performance off the line. V8 really shines at full throttle above 60.
  • merrelmerrel Member Posts: 45
    I purchased my 13th Cadillac on Saturday August 6, 2005- and the first one in ten years. The V6 is loaded with super electronics, car rides very well. I just do not understand how you must purchase 'A PACKAGE' in order to get a garage door opener!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to get out the old style remote and clip it onto the sun-visor.
    What are those Detroit engineers smoking these days!
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    I just sold a STS last week to a customer who bought a base model. She didn't care about Onstar so we put in a rearview mirror w/ Homelink, compass, & temp integrated for about $450. I think if you forego the compass & temp it's $325-$350.
    I agree. I was shocked when I bought the wife a new 00 Eldo and it did not have either a garaged door opener or a CD player. We traded in a 96 Aurora at the time and it had 3 buttons to open 3 different electronic doors and a CD in the dash. I ended up getting the opener for $100 and had a CD player [both items OEM]put in the trunk for about $500. What a rip. Anyway, that is my biggest issue with the STS, the way you can't get a few options of your choice, like Magnetic Selective Ride and spoiler but have to get the whole luxury package that can run $11K, and have stuff you don't want, like a moon roof. They really blew it with that policy. :shades:
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    while many of us waiting eagerly for this car to debut, and were overjoyed to hear about the testing in Germany, etc, the end result has not lived up to the hype. In my humble opinion, Caddy marketing folks should have to walk the plank on this one. No AWD on the V6. Allowing the "bean counters" to cheapen the interior materials (seriously folks, how many friggin dollars are "saved" off the MSRP by doing this, and at what ultimate "price" when customers liken the end result to a Hyundai and buy something else that is more expensive but "looks great"??); packaged options that made the car ridiculously expensive compared to better performing competitors; etc, etc. In my humble opinion, Cadillac blew it on the STS, compared to "what could have been". Simply adding a couple of hundred bucks to the base price and providing top tier interior materials would have helped launch this baby on the right track (note: whether you like it or not, Audi now has the rep for the best interiors on the planet which carries them even when their cars don't perform as well as their competitors). Why this is such a hard lesson for Cadillac and GM to learn is beyond me. If the GM brass want Caddy to challenge the Mercs, BMWs and Lexi of the world, then they need to do more than run some cars around a track in Germany. What an opportunity, but now Caddy is seen as "sixth place" in comparisons vs. their foreign competition and will have to dig out of a hole that they should not have gotten into in the first place.
    Well, I think that the performance packages are priced too high. The magnetic shocks are a performance item. The STS's interior is much nicer than the CTS's, which I think is what it might have been without Lutz's intervention. The SRX interior is probably what was planned for the STS. One problem with the comparison tests has been that the STS is the highest priced car but not the best of "show" in all categories. So the STS comes off looking way over priced. With the performance items I think that the STS does perform well, but with the luxury package, it is not a sports sedan even though the price tag is much better.
  • bigjaybigjay Member Posts: 26
    Ummm... I'm choosing my words VERY carefully here.... The new STS is a boring car! The styling says: "Buick!" The interior says: "Rental!" Nothing about that car says: "I cost $60 grand!"

These new "Origami" styling cues that Cadillac is using look...cheap...dull...and non discript! Nothing about it says Premium Luxury Car. When people see it...they don't know (or care) what they are looking at. There is no "OOOOHH! Factor."

Visualize this scene: You're standing near the Auto Valet at a nice resort Hotel and the Bellmen are pulling the luxo cars up under the canopy over the front door of the Hotel for their customers. They are bringing up the usual stream of Mercedes, Jags, and Lexus's. People recognize everyone of these brands instantly.

Now, if an Audi A8 shows up, all eyes are instantly on that. But, if a new Maseratti 4Port rolls in, all bets are off people are all looking at that. Then there are the cars that live in the automotive stratosphere, ie: Bentleys, Rollers, and Maybachs.

However, if an STS is anywhere in the mix, it simply becomes invisable! It's so bland that it literally disapears into the background, even if it is the car directly in front of you!

But it gets worse!

Once you've entered the STS and look around the interior, the question remains: "What kind of car is this again?" If you are in the front seat, at least the wood faced center console is attractive, but not breath taking.

These days, fancy dashes are common. In fact, wild upholsery colors and details are becoming common! It's the fit and finish of the STS that disgusts me. It's dismal! Look at the seams around the back of the front seats! They're horrible!

Then there is the matter of performance. The XJ8, the A8, the A6, the M45, the LS 430, the 540I, any E Class, heck, the Pontiac GXP and even the $32k Impala SS will smoke the STS! Even a little Lincoln LS is more fun to drive and costs less!

It's no wonder GM is hemoraging! They are building ho-hum stuff! I can tolerate ho-hum on a Chevy or even a Buick, but there is no excuse for it on a Cadillac! If I'm gonna spend $60k on a status car...I want status! I don't to have to explain it or worse defend it! I want people to see it, envy it, and be impressd by it! I don't want them to yawn!
    Regarding
    "Ummm... I'm choosing my words VERY carefully here"

Apparently you haven't seen STS sales figures for recent months.

So do yourself a favor and don't buy one.

Now you can move on to the Corolla forum and discuss cars you like.
    If you're into "status" I think you're at the wrong website. This is about vehicles NOT that GQ stuff. Is the STS OVERPRICED? Absolutely. Is it a good car? Sure. Would I buy one? Yeah, as long as somebody else is paying for it. The sales #'s on the STS are due to this employee discount stuff. As for the Lincoln LS? You're 100% correct. One can be bought for thousands LESS than the STS.
  • mrbadss96mrbadss96 Member Posts: 2
    Another great STS and STS-V site starting.
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/

Its got some good videos and information.

I think the STS-V is going to be HOT....

Reed
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I agree with you; you said it well. It is a reason why I didn't buy the STS.

However.....coming to this site and saying that may be like telling someone at their house that their daughter is ugly.
    I would say the Lincoln is closer to the CTS than the STS. The luxury STS V8 is priced right where the old Seville was priced. However, I think that the old Seville interior was nicer looking. As for the sales, the STS was selling quite well before the employee price game plan started.

Cadillac can certainly charge as much as they like for the STS, but I think that the roughly $10,000 premium for the performance package is more than it is worth. GM is losing money, so what price tag makes sense is not for me to say. My 2002 Seville was priced at $50,000, so the luxury STS priced around $52,000 is not bad. My local dealer has 3 under that price. With the employee discount, the actual price is even less.
    bigjay weren't you also on the 500 forum?

anywhay, the STS is a bit overpriced, but i don't think the interrior is underpar. Meybe they could have surrounded the rear-vents with some wood like in the front of the dash, and put more wood on the door panels, but toherwise it seems fine to me.

the only fearutes lacking are the "turining" headlamps and a rear-parking camera.

if you don't like the style of the STS, by all means get something else, but with all due respect, the 500 has more style going for it than the new impala. I hope all of these cars do well, but just put them side by side and the 500 will be the one to stand out.

The STS looks like an adult, full fledged luxury car. Its not the escallade of its segment, but then again the STS never was, as far as i know.

I have seen plenty of them around, and as soon as you notice one, it gives an air of price and stature to it. It is a very well planted car with (especially form the side view) a very expensive appearance. Cadillac should ease up on the options and lower the price though, that V8 premium is a bit high.

Did you know the door on the STS are triple sealed, and are made with a "dutch hem" design not done my lexus or mercedes?
  • mnjoemnjoe Member Posts: 36
    Anyone had much luck with the Bluetooth connectivity on the 2005 STS? My Cingular Audiovox works sporadically and inconsistently at best. Any advice appreciated. How about the voice commands? Again, lots of problems. I ask for a radio station and it turns off my air conditioner. Any advice appreciated. Ride, comfort, and handling are a dream.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The new STS-V's Northstar Supercharged V-8 was recently rated at 469 hp at 6,400 rpm and 439 lb-ft of torque at 3,900 rpm.

The new STS-V has lapped the Nordschleife circuit of the Nurburgring in 8:30. The new STS-V has more power than the XLR-V thanks the greater underhood space that allows more induction and exhaust capacity.
    Then jusk ask it to turn off your A/C and maybe it'll turn on your radio. Reverse psychology 101.
    Yes I was on the 500 Forum. When I first started looking for a new car I looked at everything. I eagerly anticpated the arrival of the new STS and when I finally got to drive one I was as I stated above, underwhelmed.

It so happens that where I live, there is an auto mall. The Cadillac dealer is located directly next to the Ford dealer. On the same night that I saw/drove the STS, I ruled it out the almost immediately. Then I walked over to the Ford dealer and was astonished at the fit and finish of the 500.

Remember, despite the Matt Lauer/AARP segment on the Today Show, I really like the 500. My gripe with it is, as I stated, the lack of horsepower and the geriatric stigma the AARP guy put on the 500.

As far as being on two sites and having opinions about more than one current product offering, what's wrong with that? You're contributing to discussions on two sites.
    I agree that this site is about vehicles, but when one is discussing the total package, especially when talking about premium cars, performance, image and prestige are all part of the conversation.

My reason for posting such an acerbic message, was mostly to send a message to the guys at GM. I guess I figured that if I could tugg a nerve with a few people on this site, and if the comments that followed supported my theme, then maybe the guys at the design lab at GM would take note of the consumer "field intelligence" we're offering and work on the problem.

Bottom line, because of the underwhelming impression of the STS made on me, GM, specifically Cadillac, lost my consumer marketshare and mindshare. Let's not forget, car companies are "for profit" enterprises. They need my business and your business, one car at a time. Unfortunately, the current STS cost them my brand loyalty.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    "
    I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth in the GM boardroom -

"Dang, we lost Bigjay!”

"

While I appreciate the (I presume) humor in your post, the reality is that the STS also lost me as a (potential) customer – and many others. . .

And although the loss of any single customer may seem like a big deal, I believe that in the car business, where most customers only buy 1 car at a time, and only every 3 or 4 or 5 years, the loss of 1 customer does need to be looked at – at least superficially. . And where Caddy sells only 10% or so of the volume of Chevy (for example), every 1 lost sale is (or ought to be) even more important to Caddy.

I believe that I fall within Caddy’s stated demographic target for the STS V8. As previously (recently) buying 2 Lincoln LS V8s (since 1999 – a Y2K and a 2003), I actually think that I am close to the ideal “conquest” STS sale. I even buy new cars more frequently than any sane person would . .

There were several factors that drove me away from the STS. STS V8 (performance variant) pricing and option bundling were 2 issues. There were others.

For example: If someone (today) put a gun to my head and demanded: “Choose between an Infiniti M45 Sport (no options) and an STS V8 as well equipped as possible for the same Transaction Price as the M45.” - I would choose the M45 Sport immediately without hesitation and without any reservations.

This does NOT mean that I don’t think the STS is a good car. But I do not believe that it represents (even at GM Employee Pricing for a 2005 = $52K for a Lux. Perf. with MSRP = approx. $59K) a terrific value. For several reasons, I see the Infiniti as a better value.

And in my test drives, more fun.

But that’s just 1 (lost) customer’s opinion.

- Ray
    Waddo I know???
    2022 X3 M40i
    I agree the Infiniti M3/45 is a great car. It was my second choice. But Infiniti lost my sale - like GM lost your sale.

The STS outsells the M's every month. And the CTS outsells the G series almost 2 to 1. In fact, the CTS is fast becoming a big hit with the 30 and under crowd.

In terms of performance and quality , I saw little difference. Both had strong and weak points, I chose the STS based on style and being an American product.

Some people like the continual, indistinct and safe generic styling of Asian cars. Personally, I like Cadillac's " in your face " look. Bold and American through and through. And as a business owner, I like spending my dollars on quality American products.
  • stilesstiles Member Posts: 6
    I lost interest in Cadillac after they miniturized the Eldorado in the 90's and moved over to Lincoln. The older town cars were a dream, but again the manufacturers had to fool with the design and made a big sloppy living room on wheels.
    I cannot express what a delight the STS is too drive (this comes from an old race car driver who has owned nearly 100 cars).
    I love surprising the fools at the redlight that think its a stagnent old Cadillac.
    Sure there are things that could be improved, the glove compartment is worthless,
    and dont plan on a lot of bags when you go on vacation (oh, for that Lincoln trunk!);
    you cant find the garage buttons at night and I just paid to have a connection plug put in for my radar detector, so the wire was not all over the dash.
    But the looks and handling make up for all its faults.
    The big FWD Eldorado was the 1971-78 models. But the smallest Eldorado was the 1986-1991 models. The 1992 Eldorado was a decent sized car, larger than the current STS.
This discussion has been closed.