Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac STS/STS-V: What's New for 2007?

Comments

• tgftgf Member Posts: 1
    Have owned 5 STS, all purchased new. Despite front drive, enjoyed performance. Had opportunity to test drive the STS-V, not impressed. Rear seat uncomfortable with entry and egress not fit for ordinary size humans. Also, not impressed with performance compared to Audi A-8, BMW-5 series, and so forth. Have been a steadfast American car buyer for decades (also own an 05 Excursion diesel), but am about to swap for a Porsche SUV, and forget about the STS. Easy for wife to drive; rear seat entry and egress outstanding, and general performance (340HP) possibly preferable to the STS for our purposes. Finally, in my opinion that $70MM+ price tag displays a complete lack of realism as regards the marketplace. Might consider, despite shortcomings, if under $60MM. My guts tell me they won't be going for much over that by next year model.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Some additional thoughts:

I truly do want to be fair here.

Thinking about this specific impression at lunch, and checking a few numbers leads me to believe that the V’s acceleration may have felt ‘flat’ to me because:

My “context”. Looking at my current sedan (Grand Prix GXP)’s WT, HP and TQ numbers vs the STS-V’s, I think I see where part of the issue may have been, for me.

A - The V motor’s additional acceleration ability is blunted by the (rather significant) additional mass – compared to what I am used to.

B – The 3.23 final drive and overall gearing likely require (much) higher RPM than I am used to using for entertaining acceleration.

Now my GXP accelerates very quickly from low speeds from any RPM in first & second gear. Second is geared for approx. 100 MPH at the motor’s red line. And at higher speeds in third or fourth it gains speed effortlessly – though (obviously) not as quickly. The Torque to Weight ratio slings it along very emphatically.

Specifically, comparing the V and the GXP:

1 – The V’s peak TQ and HP are clearly higher than the GXP’s 5.3L n/a V8. And the total area under the curves is greater. But, the STS-V curb weight reported by MT was 4376. The GXP’s curb weight is 3632. The STS-V therefore weighs over 20% more than my car.

2 – The V’s TQ at 3,000 RPM is (extrapolated from the graphs on the GM Powertrain web site) 410. The GXP’s TQ at 3,000 is approx. 310. A difference of just over 32%. If 20% goes to ‘motivating’ the 20% greater mass – that leaves only 12% to provide increased thrust.

3 – At 2,000 RPM the Torque difference between the V and the GXP is only about 22%. (360 vs 295) Again, (still) pulling against 20% more mass. Probably resulting in a very similar thrust (feel) to my $27K sedan. .

With the 3.23 final drive on the STS-V, 2,000 to 3,000 RPM is likely to be a common RPM range for initial acceleration. On many surface streets or 2 lane secondary roads, for example:

2K in second = just over 20 mph, 3K in second = 31.
    2K in third = 32 and 3K in third = 48.
    2K in fourth = almost 43 and 3K in fourth = 64+.

And:

At typical highway speeds:
    2K in fourth = 43 mph, 3K in fourth = again almost 65.
    2K in fifth = 58, and 3K in fifth = 87.
    2K in sixth = 73. and 3K in sixth = 110.

( Discounting any TC effect here.)

Thus, running from 2K to 3K in fifth gear would mean exceeding every current, posted speed limit in the US. With another gear to go . .

My calculations, from the gear ratios I have seen, suggest that cruising at 60 mph in sixth gear - it looks like the V’s motor would be turning over at only 1,630 RPM. (MT says: 1,650.) And 75 would require barely over 2,000 RPM in sixth.

The other point that may share in my perception of less than stellar acceleration (by comparison) is the fact that my GXP has a rather ‘loose’ Torque Converter. Meaning here: When I have the trans. in manumatic mode, and I press the accelerator toward WOT, the TCC smoothly unlocks, and RPM smoothly rise, without a downshift. Effectively increasing torque multiplication. Although I was not specifically looking for it, so cannot confirm or deny, the new 6 speed automatic in the STS-V may have a much tighter TCC management program. This, combined with the additional weight, and the relatively high gearing could have contributed to my impression. I happen to like big torque at low RPM - and the feeling of effortless, fluid acceleration afforded by such a motor.

The point here is that at least part of what I was likely responding to here was a lack of low end \ low RPM “pull”, compared to what I am now used to. Certainly, when I did run the engine above 3,000 RPM, it pulled well – but again, not enough so that I was extraordinarily impressed. Not for a sedan at this price level. (There is that price issue again.)

The GXP (5.3L n/a V8) has an easy, graceful (refined?) acceleration, without requiring a downshift, from most any RPM.

Had I concentrated my driving of the STS-V in the upper RPM regions, my impression could have been somewhat different. Since that is not how I generally drive, it is just not relevant – to me. (Not that I never seek the red line – just not every time I accelerate.)
    ( end part 1 )
    2022 X3 M40i
    The V’s specifications suggested to me that the supercharged motor’s elasticity and low RPM Torque would provide exhilarating acceleration under all the conditions of my test drive. I have driven several cars with supercharged motors – and one thing I was impressed with (and led to the level of expectation here) was the low RPM Torque generation of such motors. The fact that the STS-V did not impress ** me ** is likely more my problem than any real criticism of the V. And if I came across as being highly critical, it is largely a reflection of the very high expectations generated by that lofty MSRP and the published specifications. And my finding is merely that the result does not happen to suit my taste.

So – some here will clearly never agree or even understand my posts about this car. Or perhaps even understand that all these comments are only ** my ** impressions and evaluations of this car ** for me ** . . . And that has to be OK. But again, I do want to be fair. And I do applaud Caddy for investing the time & $$s in a sedan such as the STS-V. A significant undertaking, given such severely limited sales volume potential.

My expectation of substantially better acceleration in the V than I am used to in my current Sedan stemmed partly from the additional technology ( like VVT ) that I expected to allow the S/C motor to develop exceptional low speed Torque – even with a DOHC valvetrain. Certainly, my old 3.4L V6 DOHC Grand Prix (1991) in contrast, absolutely required 3 or 4,000 RPM to develop exciting thrust.

Anyway – The V is off my list. The ‘list’ I refer to here is my list of those in contention for me to drive someday before I retire (to that empty refrigerator box - with Cable TV and Internet access) in 8 or 9 years. Well, semi-retire, at least. I (quite seriously) expect to spend whatever it does end up costing to have a truly top notch vehicle to drive for at least a couple of years. ‘Top notch’ in whatever the particular class – be it a sedan like the STS-V or a Corvette C6, possibly. We’ll see.

And although I had no intention of buying this V this day, I did not feel any guilt at accepting the offered test drive, since production appears likely only to allow approx. 1 per Caddy dealer, as I understand the current plan. Thus, in the future, it may be rather difficult to find one to test drive at any given time & place.

I specifically like and appreciate (and use daily) the ability of my GXP to accelerate quickly from any RPM, without resorting to downshifting and the resulting higher RPM. That elasticity is one thing whose absence probably contributed disproportionately. Particularly given the supercharger whine of this particular example, I would definitely have wanted the ability to accelerate (very) quickly without winding that s/c up . . it did not produce a sound I found particularly refined or entertaining.

But that’s (obviously) just me.
    - Ray
    Wondering of 2007 might bring a CTS-V with the A6 & paddle shift????
    2022 X3 M40i
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    is 10,000 less than the MB. Realy now, at that price, isn't the MB a little outclassed?

One thing i do not understand, though. Is why GM chose to make a special S/C northstar, when they could have put in or S/C the new Z06 engine in it.

It will do just fine as a Cadillac/Corvette engine. The CTS-V kicks its opponents to the curb with the 400 hp corvette enine. Only the new Audi stands a chance with just 14 more hp.

Also, GM would add VVT and S/C the new Z06, to give it 550 or 600 hp, and put it in the STS. THEN WHO WOULD BE OUTCLASSED!

They could put the reg 500hp engine into the CTS-V. Or save money and leave the 400hp but make the inside better. What do you think?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    For 10K less than the CLS the STS-V is typical GM, merely a competitive car. Not best at anything. The CLS isn't "outclassed" by much of anything let alone a Cadillac. For the STS-V to outclass the CLS55 AMG it would need to have a better interior, and beat the CLS55 in performance and it wouldn't hurt for it to get a better sense of style.

GM can do a lot of things to change the STS-V performance, but at the current moment the STS-V can't keep up with the German iron.

M
    That is merely your oppinion. C&D said not only can it compete, but it beat the "German Iron". And the interrior does not Lack at anything. It is better designed than the CLS and they used some Euro designer to help them with the V. The exterrior, while a little conservative in base trim, in the V trim its just rights. The CLS is garbage. No wood on the doors? If there is I don't see it.

No back seat room! It reminds me of the Pontac Grand Prix! The STS is a real car, and looks most solid than anything Mercedes or BMW offer. Under the hood BMW has it on the V but Gm can change that. They ned to use the Z06 engine.

The only car than can compete with the STS in the "solid looks" dept is the Infinity M. There is a solid looking car too. Both the M and the STSmake German Iron look like bunnies.

My Opinnion.
    Well I can see there is no point of this discussion. None of these cars are garbage. No wood on the doors means what exactly? What difference does that make? Wood on the doors has suddenly become the standard for a luxury/sports sedan? Secondly GM didn't use the same "designer" as Mercedes, they contracted the same supplier to provide some of the leather touches for the STS-V's interior.

The STS-V gets beat bad in the area in which people buy a 469hp car, performance. Fact. The M5 in particular annihilates the STS-V.

The STS-V is a more solid car than anything MB or BMW make? Guy you're dreaming. You sound like some of GM's managment, totally detached from the reality of the situation.

The majority of reviews have gotten it right about the STS-V, Motor Trend and Automobile. Just because it managed to sneak in one victory based on price and rear seat space doesn't really amount to much. Its easy to point to one review and ignore the others.

The Infiniti M and STS-V both get their doors handed to them by those German "bunnies" in peformance. That is a fact, not opinion. Everything with a GM car is always "wait until next year" or "wait until they put this engine in". Just excuses.

M
    How people will talk of this car only to trash it. Wood on the doors, these little details say alot. At 90K how can you buy a car without wood on the doors? is this a chevy or toyota?

When i saw the CLS i knew MB was starting to loose it. The STS did beat the MB in the most important magazing to people like yourself, C&D. Of course it is not now, but it will be if the MB beats the STS in the next test.

This car is better than the CLS, i cannot see were that extra 10K went. Cadillac is more prestigious anyway. Unless of course you are a fan of certain defeated German Govt's of Yore.
    How people will talk of this car only to trash it. Wood on the doors, these little details say alot. At 90K how can you buy a car without wood on the doors? is this a chevy or toyota?

Exactly, any old Chevy or Toyota can have wood on the doors, means nothing. Many cars have wood on their doors and they aren't real luxury cars. Every wannabe luxury car under the sun has some type of fake wood on the doors nowadays and some non-luxury cars have the real thing on their doors. Means what? Wood alone doesn't define a luxury car anymore.

When i saw the CLS i knew MB was starting to loose it. The STS did beat the MB in the most important magazing to people like yourself, C&D. Of course it is not now, but it will be if the MB beats the STS in the next test.

Yeah it is impressive that it beat the CLS, but if looked at why you'd see that the victory was hollow at best. Now if other magazines had stated the same thing then you'd have a point. They haven't, they've said the opposite.

I'd say you need actually see or drive one to see where the extra 10K went. If the STS-V was the "better" car more than one source would have said so. How a supposed to be tuner version of a car that can't perform up to the class, much less out-perform any of its competitors, can be "better" than the competition is beyond me.

M
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Car & Driver tested both the STS_V (in a comparison) and the Grand Prix V8. The STS_V was quicker in acceleration times except for the 30-50 test. The STS_V can accelerate to 150 MPH in 36 seconds. The Grand Prix can't go 150 MPH, and while C&D only did 0-130 MPH in their reported testing (over 30 seconds), I estimate that 0-140 would take the Grand Prix about 38 seconds.

Based on your comments, I think that you might have really liked the Buick dynaflow. My experience with the dynaflow is limited to the first model built for the straight eights of the early 50's. However, the triple turbine design of the late 50's may have been better. Certainly the 4 speed automatics of GM's current line do depend on the torque converters. I am not at all sure how the six speed transmission is designed, but with the upper gears closer together I would expect the torque converter to do less work.
    Were?

I don't see any test between the two. Do you have a link? I know they tested them seperatley.

The STS is a real nice car. You should read what Edmunds had to say about the V. Most people seem to like the car.
    The comparison test was the STS_V, BMW M5, and Mercedes CLS55 AMG. The comparison test results are somewhat different from single test results which is what the Grand Prix test was.

From what I have read the V seems to be a better car for normal daily driving than the M5 would be. For me the basic STS is closer to the mark and from the price standpoint, the CTS is closer. The Grand Prix is probably more in my actual price range but I expect to drive my SLS for another few years to bring the depreciation into line with my annual expectations ($4000).
    untill December or January and get rebates that make the STS more affordable. Its a wonderful car.
    Has anyone heard anything?
    I had hoped that (at least) the STS V8s - 1SF \ 1SG, at least - might be offered with the new 6 speed automatic trans. for 2007. As GM ramps up production.
    This might mean I'd take another look . . .
    And I wonder what they'll do with their pricing?
    Rumors?
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    Thinking it is still a bit short of 'wonderful', but certainly interesting . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Why do you think its short on wonderful?

The New 6 speed may be good from a marketing point of view, but don't forget it already has the french made (GM) 5 speed unit that is also in the SRX.

I would understand if only 4 speeds were offerred, but 5 is plenty fine to me. The main thing is that it has the manumatic mode and the adjustable shocks to make things really interesting.

Im sure it will come, but I dont think by next year. GM might wait untill its mid-cycle refresh.
    The 5 speed automatic is better than the 4 speeds, but the overdrive ratio of 0.75 is not much, and the passing gear of 1.6 is not ideal either. Third gear is exactly half way between first and fifth, so it is not that far off.

The six speed automatic (on the _V models) offers gears that are closer together at the high gear end. There are two overdrive ratios, third gear (passing) is a better 1.53:1 and forth is 1.15:1. With a low gear ratio of 4:1, an axle ratio can be choosen for both good performance and decent fuel economy. My opinion is that instead of axle ratios of about 3.25 to 3.50 :1 that are required with the five speed automatic, an axle ratio of about 3:1 is good for both better performance and fuel economy. Actually, 2.93 to 3.08 :1 axle ratios would be a good range. The V6 axle ratios probably need to run more to 3.23:1.
    There are a number of reasons why I think the STS is a bit less than Wonderful. Many are documented in the test drive reports I posted here when the first 1SE and the first 1SF arrived at my dealer. One specifically is that the 5 speed automatic does not behave quite as I had hoped & expected. Reviews I have seen on the 6 speed (in other GM vehicles, including the Corvette) suggest that it is an improvement in ways beyond the additional ratio. We will see if \ when one is available for test in an STS.

And I want to be clear here: I am not saying that the STS is bad. Not the ‘regular’ V8 versions, or the -V. There is much to like, and again I applaud Caddy for both bringing the STS (RWD V8 and all) to market as well as producing the much lower volume -V variant. The STS is just not quite what I was hoping for, in several areas important to me. Many details are in my previous posts.

My basic issues with the STS fall into 2 categories.

Cat. 1: The Pricing. The bundling of \ availability of options I care about leaves me believing that the STS is not the best cost \ benefit proposition – for me. Specifically, as things stand right now, the 1SF package includes 2 rather expensive options (NAV and HID-s) that are of no particular interest to me. And I’d prefer not to pay something like $3K (best I can estimate at MSRP) for them, in order to receive several items that I would want – and that are not available on the 1SE. (A final drive ratio I'd want, for 1 non-negotiable example.) And another example is that the option code QAF \ ‘Performance Handling Package, includes Tires, P235/45ZR18 18" Michelin Pilot Sport, front and P255/45ZR18 rear (summer only tires) and Performance Brake Linings ($795.00)’ is ONLY available on the 1SG = MSRP well over $60K. None of the other V8 versions are available with such performance-oriented tires. By comparison \ For example: Last I knew, Audi offers this sort of setup as a stand-alone option on the A6. And the BMW 5 series offers a Sport Pkg (a bit more expensive, but also more comprehensive) on any 530i – regardless of other configured options or packages. I am not suggesting that the options in the Caddy packages have no value, just that I really want to select only the options I want. And pay only for those. The STS strikes me as the ‘bundling’ concept run amok.

[ On the BMW 5, according to their web site, this Pkg includes: Sport suspension calibration, Active Roll Stabilization(ARS), 18x 8.0 Star Spoke (Styling 123) alloy wheels, 245/40R-18 performance run-flat tires, Shadowline exterior trim, 12-way power front sport seats with power adjustable thigh support ]

As one other data point: When last I was checking, the Infiniti M45 Sport with 2 options (rosewood on the dash and XM or Sirius) as I’d buy one had an MSRP of very close to $51K. And it has everything I’d want. The STS V8 1SF was over $58K – and still lacked items I’d want – the Sport Suspension, for example. $7 or $8,000 is enough of a difference to matter – to me. And at that MSRP, I’d still not have been able to add the option of the Performance Handling Option to the STS. Annoying. I have driven 3 or 4 M45 Sports. If someone (today) put a gun to my head and demanded: “Choose between an Infiniti M45 Sport (no options) and an STS V8 as well equipped as possible for the same real-world Transaction Price as the M45.” - I would choose the M45 Sport immediately, without hesitation and without any reservations. [ Another interesting difference here: Powertrain warrantee on the M45: 72 mo 70,000 miles. ]

Cat. 2: The Product. A few examples – and focusing on only 1 competitor here. In my test driving, the M45 Sport manumatic function works much better than the STS’s. The M45 Sport even does a decent job of ‘rev matching’ on downshifts – something the STS does not attempt. The M45 is quicker than the STS V8. (And has posted very close to the same Quarter Mile numbers as my GXP in C+D’s testing.) The M45 Sport also posted better braking and cornering and lane change numbers than the STS in the C+D comparison test. And so on.

In summary, the M45 Sport provided a significantly more enjoyable driving experience – for me – at a substantially lower price point.

Now I did not buy an M45 – for several reasons not directly germane here – and I also did not buy an STS. The point is that at the (say $50K to $60K) price level, I find the M45 Sport to be a considerably better deal. But the STS certainly does have potential – and I respect the effort.

And although the loss of any single customer may not seem like a big deal, I believe that in the car business, where most customers only buy 1 car at a time, and only every 3 or 4 or 5 years, the loss of 1 customer does need to be looked at – at least superficially. . And where Caddy sells only 10% or so of the volume of Chevy (for example), every 1 lost sale is (or ought to be) even more important to Caddy.

I believe that I fall within Caddy’s stated demographic target for the STS V8. As previously (recently) buying 2 Lincoln LS V8s (since 1999 – an early Y2K and a ‘late’ \ leftover 2003), I actually think that I am close to the ideal “conquest” STS sale. I even buy new cars more frequently than any sane person would . .

But that’s just 1 (lost) customer’s opinion.

- Ray
    Waddo I know???
    2022 X3 M40i
    " untill December or January and get rebates that make the STS more affordable. Its a wonderful car. "

Inventory reported:
    STS (all) 1 Feb 2006 . . .1 Jan 2006
    9,300 = 134 days . . . .71 days

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA4544210.PDF

Total BMW inventory at 1 Feb stood at about 30 days.
    Just f.y.i.
    - Ray
    Wondering why Caddy does not have any sort of rebate on the STS today . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    One of the big advantages of the sigma factory is that they can reduce the output of STS's while keeping the CTS's and SRX's in production. All are in excess supply though, so they may shutdown the factory before starting a fire sale.
    "reduce the output of STS's"

Interesting to see that the production numbers for the STS are now (as of 12 March) less than 65% of last year's same period production:

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA5230310.PDF
    2022 X3 M40i
    And yet, STS inventory is up still a bit more - to 142 days.

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA5218310.PDF
    2022 X3 M40i
    And sales rate, YTD is approx. half what it was last year.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Well, if GM is serious about getting out of the incentivies sales schemes, they must do it at Cadillac. You have made it clear that you are not interested in an STS so what is your point?
    For the first two months of this year vs last year I find:
    STS sales are off about 500 units, 3400 vs 3900. Mercedes sales are also down for the E-class. The Lexus LS sales are down.

I think that the DTS, new this year, is taking some sales away from the STS perhaps. The DTS is doing quite well, as is the Lucerne, a cheap Buick DTS.
    "For the first two months of this year vs last year I find:
    STS sales are off about 500 units, 3400 vs 3900. Mercedes sales are also down for the E-class. The Lexus LS sales are down. "

You are correct.
    I mis-read the chart in haste.
    No excuse.
    My apologies.
    - Ray

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA510033.PDF
    2022 X3 M40i
    I checked my local dealers inventory and found that they have 2 STS's, both priced at about $65,000.
    “You have made it clear that you are not interested in an STS so what is your point?”

If I have made that clear to anyone, I have mis-typed.

In fact, although I am not convinced that the STS-v is worth the (rather breathtaking) amount of money Caddy is asking, and the ‘regular’ STSs (V8s in particular) are priced \ marketed \ optioned \ packaged in such a way that I (still) cannot configure or build one to suit what I’d actually want, I am very interested in the STS. For several reasons.

1 – Since Lincoln’s failure (of will, in my opinion) to follow up with effective continued development of the LS V8s past the 2003 model year upgrades, I see the STS as the only American player in what could be called the Premium Sport Sedan market. When C+D last year decided to test competing sedans in this category or class, the STS V8 was the lone American chosen to do battle. Up against Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, M-B.

2 – Particularly with the CTS-v and now the STS-v, Caddy has put forth significant effort and I consider them now serious and credible in the Sporting Sedan arena. In a pretty select group – with those I mentioned above. I respect that. I admire the accomplishment. Regardless of whether or not I ever buy one.

Again, if I said I was not interested: A) I do not remember typing those words and if I did, I hereby withdraw them, and B) though I may not buy one tomorrow – and I may never buy one, I am interested in Caddy’s effort in these markets, and I will watch how it plays out.

I do not post inventory or sales numbers to ‘pick on’ Caddy or the STS – I just find them interesting. As I found the fact that last June, when the STS was selling reasonably well, they did add this sedan to the “Employee Pricing for Everyone” campaign. Where (like the Corvette) it was not clear that they actually needed to do so. And I configured \ priced an STS V8 1SF (Luxury Performance – at approx. $7K off then MSRP of approx. $58.8K) at that time as close to what I’d buy as possible, and even at that reduced price, I primarily did not see it then as a good value. Still don’t. That absolutely does not mean I don’t find the STS interesting.

And I have been known to buy vehicles that were just really interesting (to me) despite the fact that I did not consider it a particular bargain or value. In spite of my review above, if the STS-v was available for $50K, I’d very seriously consider buying one this afternoon.

I also have tried to be as fair as I know how to be every time I have criticized the STS (v or not) – as I do when I visit other make & model forums.

I think that the STS does represent a fine foundation upon which GM could begin to build a reputation and a sales history and reliability history – and particularly a robust resale value history. If they choose to spend the $$s and focus their R&D on some critical (to me) aspects. I am watching with interest.

I have actually tried here to be sure I state my respect for the effort that resulted in a V8 RWD Sport Luxury sedan that can legitimately compete (for my $$s) with Audi, et al. I bought 2 Lincoln LSs, in part because they were from an American Brand.

If a V8 STS actually does become available, for 2007 or 2007.5 with the new 6 speed automatic (and they effectively implement ‘rev match on downshift’ – heck the $45K - $50K Corvette Coupe does it with the same trans.) and they decide to loosen up the option groupings in such a way that I can actually select the items I want and not have to take and pay for what I don’t want, then I will very seriously consider it when I am next in the market – likely sometime next year.

Whereas, for example, I will almost certainly not consider some competitors like the Audi A6 4.2 V8 (without a significant bump in HP, I admit that it is a nice car, certainly, but not quick enough for me and I do not want or need AWD) or the BMW 5 – largely because the BMW’s interior and exterior styling I dislike rather intensely. Despite the fact that the V8 550i reportedly is quick & handles well. Etc. Just a few of my biases.

We’ll see. But I expect to continue to be ‘interested’ in the STS.
    [ Another lunch hour blown . . ]
    - Ray
    Believing interested does not necessarily equal ready to purchase today . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    The 06' STS's are NOT selling well indeed. 145 day supply is TWICE the norm. And there are a ton of UNSOLD 05's sitting on dealers lots with NO cash incentive on them. I priced 5 via GMBUYPOWER and the best deal (05' STS V-8) was $41,636 on a $50,890 sticker. That's about 18% off the sticker on a car that's already depreciated 30% ($35,623). That means I'm in the hole by $6,000 before I even leave the lot. THANKS George but NO thanks. GM's biggest problem is their corporate ego.
    Didn't read your whole post, I don't know if my eyes could stand it, but you're 100% CORRECT about this option package: QAF \ ‘Performance Handling Package, includes Tires, P235/45ZR18 18" Michelin Pilot Sport, front and P255/45ZR18 rear (summer only tires) and Performance Brake Linings ($795.00)’ is ONLY available on the 1SG = MSRP well over $60K. They, GM , have the mind set that winner take all BS. If they had anyone w/o this major ego crap they would offer this option on ALL V-8 STS's NOT just the top of the line model. Hell, they even offer an alike package on the CTS now. Saw it the other night. I think they will offer a V-8 CTS in the future and do away with the STS all together.
    jerrymcshane1: My dealer has only 2 2006 STS's with price tags of $65,000 on them. No 2005 models either.

rayainsw: Your latest post indicates that you are not interested in an STS at the current price level. You want the STS_V for about $30,000 off the list price. I suppose that means you want the STS 1SF to sell for $25,000 or so off the list price.
    I don't know what Cadillac's expectation are for the STS, but the FWD Seville's sales averaged less than 20,000 annually the last few years of production. So, the STS's sales of more than 30,000 for the first year is probably a lot of FWD STS owners who have waited for the new model. If they average 25,000 for the future, that is probably quite good, particularly at the price level that the STS is at.
  • nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    Im very, very interested in the STS. My Jag X-Type lease is over in August and I'm going to price an STS v6 with AWD. Can't find any base V6's with AWD around here (CT.) so I may order one and hope that the lease deals are decent when it arrives. GM is at least currently using high residuals on the leases and right now a base V6 with AWD and 12K should be in the low to mid $400 range using my GM card earnings as down payment. That's not bad for this car. I think we're going to see some incentives soon on this car too. Figure I'll order in May.
    I did some searching for V6 STS's and in my area there were none with AWD. However, there are a few in the Rocky Mountain area, with price tags of about $48,000. About $17,000 less than the V8 STS's with AWD.
    What I’d really want \ what I’d like to pay (as of march 2006)

– equipment:
    STS V8 1SE
    (This Option Group now includes both their Navigation system + the Bose 5.1 DVD – and is something like $1,600 more expensive than on the last 2005 1SE I saw. And neither of these 2 items is of particular interest to me - sigh)

But several other 1SE items are of interest to me . . So even configuring my ‘dream STS V8’, I guess I’d have to start there.
    ( aside: Has anyone actually seen a 1SD = ‘Base’ V8? I see none in stock shown on GMBuypower within approx. 100 miles of me, 20 or so miles North East of Metro Atlanta. And I have never seen one. )

Anyway, 1SE base now: $47.5K + $4,445 + $720 dest = $52.7K

The following stuff is what I’d want added to a 1SE, if I could.
    [[ Note: Currently, the only item listed here that can actually be added \ ordered separately and on a 1SE is the sunroof. Thus, that is the only price that is likely accurate. The rest are my guesses – and could be off by 50% or more, in either direction. ]]

1SF final drive ratio (3.23 instead of 2.73): $0.
    G80 Ltd Slip Diff: $500?
    JE5 Perf brakes? As on 1SF? Just different pads? $0.
    FE3 Magnetic Ride Control: $1K?
    KB6 Heated AND Cooled front seats: $250?
    QAF Perf handling: $1200?
    (Currently $795 on 1SG, but this would be a further upgrade – meaning: from lower equip level = 17” wheels & tires on the 1SE)
    NV7 Premium ZF steering $500?
    CF5 Sunroof $1200

Total: approx $56.8K - for what I’ll call an ‘STS V8 Sport’.

With MSRP $56.8 – could I buy it (if they’d build it) for $50K-ish?
    $7K or $8K off MSRP at this level seems reasonable to me.
    But waddo I know? (Rhetorical question.)

I cannot say that I’d buy one for that price.
    What I can say is that availability of an STS V8 with this configuration would mean that I’d compare it quite seriously against the M45 Sport, for example. It still would not be as quick as the M, but I’d see it as a much more worthy competitor than a 1SF ** for me ** (Current 1SF MSRP is $58,980, approx. $2K more than my hypothetical ‘STS V8 Sport’) and the 1SF still would lack the highest level QAF Performance Handling Suspension.

- Ray
    Point of reference. My current GM sedan was: MSRP $33K (with exactly & only what I wanted for equipment), bought for $27K in June 2005.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    <<I did some searching for V6 STS's and in my area there were none with AWD. However, there are a few in the Rocky Mountain area, with price tags of about $48,000. About $17,000 less than the V8 STS's with AWD. >>

Although I haven't seen any on the lots, I did a GM buypower search and found quite a few listed locally here in Connecticut. I even found a totally base V6 with AWD. I suspect that a lot of the V6 AWD's are in transit or just now arriving. Most of the V6 AWD seem to have the luxury group and about half of those have sunroofs. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than the V8 AWD's.
    There are MANY NEW 05's STS's around. Many of them are V-6's. I priced a few last week (V-6)and received these quotes: Sticker (V-6) $43,385 asking $35,000. The BEST I could do on a V-8? Sticker $50,890 asking $41,636. The discount (about 20%) doesn't even "cover" the first year depreciation. And the car is already 1 year old. So I don't know who'd buy one at these prices.
    Well I bought my 2002 SLS at the end of the 2002 model year or the beginning of the 2003 model year, depending on one's point of view. In any case, it was the last 2002 they had. I was not looking for a new car either. But I bought it at about $10,000 off the list price. I expected the depreciation to make the car worthless quickly, so I expect to drive it a few more years. Dealers here do not appear to have 2005 models left over, but I have not looked for any either. Local dealer does not.

While the STS inventory may seem high, I will point out that the spring and summer sales season has yet to start. So, while the inventory may be a bit high, if STS sales are good in April thru June/July, the excess could easily be sold off.
  • vandyman3vandyman3 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a base STS with AWD and automatic transmission. The dealer in NJ added a sunroof for no charge. Best decision I ever made after years of owning SAABs and other foreign cars. Car looks great, has a high build quality, has a powerful engine and can be had for a great price. My dealer has the base models in stock with AWD and sold me the car for dealer cost plus gave me $2500.00 in direct GM marketing rebates, etc. that they didn't have to give me. My 39 month lease is $479.00 per month with a total of $2000.00 out of pocket. Any comparable car would be at least $100.00 per month more. You can't even get a compact G35 for that price.

In summary, it's a great car and GM just needs to have a better marketing plan for the STS
    I don't know what they have now but the origional commercial for the STS was the best commercial i have ever seen for any car (except that Lincoln LS train commercial :))

the commerical for the STS had all the imports dancing around and then the Cadillac shows up and teaches them a thing or two about dancing in its own back yard!

AWESOME!
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    The commercial was interesting but personally I think commercials in this strata of product need to have the product stand on its own, not sit there and compare itself to every German/Japanese import. Lexus didn't have to do this to get where they are. Neither does Cadillac. It reminds me of a Chevy ad campaign.
    Has anyone rented an STS at Hertz?

I see them available in Vegas - and my daughter & I will be renting something to drive to Zion and the Grand Canyon after my conference next month.

I am curious about several things:
    1) Are they (all) V6 or V8s?
    2) I see sat nav listed as a feature on the Hertz site - is that Hertz's system or GM's?
    3) Anyone ever successfully 'waive' the mileage limit of 100 per day? Or reduce the overcharge if that's exceeded?
    We'd likely exceed that limit by 200+ miles @$0.39 per . . .

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Prefering this to a Taurus - but not quite that much . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    Yes, I have. At San Diego.

1. V6
    2. Depends. If the car has NAV, its the GM system, but not all of them have nav.
    3. Yes. I had unlimited miles, and a discountd rate. I'm a bit of a travel junkie and obtained a rate of around $64.99 a day, with unlimited miles.

My car was a Black STS. Really enjoyed it, what a great rental. Made my want one, but unfortunately its out of my price range (though I'm seeing really low prices on used low mile ones...hmmm...)
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    nsidering buying an STS this month...What have others been paying lately?

Also,the bucket seat bolsters seemed a little narrow...os seat comfort an issue for anybody?
    The STS will offer a six speed automatic on some STS packages for 2007. This will be the 6L50 transmission, and I will guess that the V8 packages will have it. GM has released news item to that effect.
    http://www.media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.co- m/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=25969
    Thanks for the link.

With this development now official, a 2007 STS V8 is 'officially' on my "short list".
    I wonder if:
    Caddy will effectively implement 'rev match on downshift'?
    The final drive ratio selection & availability will remain as in 2005 & 2006 among the 1SE, 1SF & 1SG?
    - Ray
    Wondering, but encouraged . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I have been checking the online order site, but there is no information on the STS or SRX. With first gear having a 4:1 ratio (about), my guess is that the axle ratio would be about 3.08:1 for the 1SG package. We do not know if there will be a 1SG package as yet. First gear with a 3.08:1 axle is about 5% lower than the 5 speed first gear and the 3.42:1 axle.

I would hope that they choose axle ratios that improve the overall performance. The current base axle ratio of 2.73:1 gives about the same level of straight line acceleration as the 3.42:1 axle ratio. So I think the optimum gearing is somewhere in between.

The six speed transmission may be a performance option.
    Though I am also very curious about what other changes will occur for 2007, I have never seen anything from GM to indicate that the six speed automatic in the C6 Corvette does a &#147;rev match on downshift&#148;, though various sources report that it does.

I have seen nothing in any 2006 C6 Press Release, the on line order guide or the Owner&#146;s Manual to indicate that it does. I have no ideas why this feature is completely ignored in promotional literature, as my driving experience in Infiniti M45 Sports indicate (to me) a substantially more refined driving feel with this feature.

Point being: We may not know for sure about this and other features until someone actually test drives a 2007 and reports. GM has not proven to be a comprehensive and accurate resource for product information. For me.

Heck, I have now personally contacted GM twice regarding incorrect EPA ratings for the STS-v listed at this GMBuyPower url:

http://www.gmbuypower.com/vehicleList.bp?make=Cadillac&model=All&modelId=all&mak- eId=006&identifyThumbnail=showAllMake&

Still incorrect. (sigh.)

Oddly, the 2006 STS-v, with essentially the same transmission as the Corvette, did ** not ** implement this &#147;rev match on downshift&#148; feature. And that still surprises & confuses me. Very odd.

- Ray
    Waiting now oh so very patiently for a 2007 STS V8 to test drive . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The 6L50 may have additional features that the 6L80 does not have, like the speed matching.
    &#147;The 6L50 may have additional features that the 6L80 does not have, like the speed matching.&#148;

Possibly.

However, my understanding is that the trans features would not actually be issue in implementing something like &#147;rev match on downshift&#148;.

Since the TBW is already there, the issue would seem to be one of integration between downshift command (manual \ TapShift generated) and coordination between the PCM and TBW to achieve an appropriate amount of &#147;throttle blip&#148; based on the current RPM and calculated \ expected RPM after shift execution. To smooth the transition.

Again, I believe that this would require no additional hardware components &#150; and achieve an additional measure of driving refinement. Something that I expect would be &#145;a given&#146; as important in a Premium Sedan like the STS.

But I have been wrong before . . .

- Ray
    Glad the six speed is coming, and still hopeful . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    This feature is probably more a software (computer) package than anything. Software does not always work right, and does require a certain amount of developement time. So, I am not surprised that the 6L80 went into production without this feature. It could be added sometime.

The current 6L80 is used in some trucks, which may not have the computer power to include everything.
This discussion has been closed.