Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac STS/STS-V: What's New for 2007?

Comments

• theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    The STS has an unbelievably small trunk for its size; I think this will be a problem for many buyers.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    "Sorry Cadillac, but you screed up!"

Why, because its got a small trunk?
  • jcsganga34jcsganga34 Member Posts: 24
    Let me start by saying that I own a 300C. My previous car was a 96 STS. I am still a huge cadillac fan and I want to see the STS succeed. I chose a 300C over the Cadillac mainly because I didn't feel the Cadillac was worth the 20000 more and I preferred the styling of the 300C. The thing that strikes me is a lot of people say that the Cadillac is more "athletic" than the 300C (which it is). It may run through the slalom a little quicker but how does that apply to real world driving scenarios? How many people ever get to experience slalom driving on a day to day basis? The one thing I do know is that if an STS and a 300C are together at a stop light, the 300C is probably going to give the STS all it can handle and for 20000 less. If I owned the Cadillac I would be a little upset at that. I really do want the STS to succeed I just wish it had better sprint numbers, as that will be the situation where it will be tested most often. I am honestly a little disappointed at the performance numbers for the STS. For those people who say the cars shouldn't be compared I disagree. If they were not meant to be compared then nobody would be trying to match them head to head. Has anyone ever compared a Camaro to a Ferarri...no! Why because they are in totally different classes. For people to want to make the comparison something must overlap. This is just my .02 FWIW.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    It's fine for a drag race. In real world hard cornering, the front tires squeal and it loses its composure. I've driven a lot of sport sedans - the 300C is not a sports sedan. It's a fast luxury cruiser. If you do a lot of driving on the interstate, it has to be a top choice.

A V8/Magnaride SRX (which I have also driven) is confidence inspring on any road, be it straight or twisty. The STS should be even better, given its lower center of gravity.

The new Caddys have really got it nailed when it comes to the ride/handing compromise.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Not exactly..they don't handle the way you describe them. Chrysler (aka MB) has an outstanding electronic stability program which is great in real-world situations. I've used it only once when some [non-permissible content removed]**** merged into my lane when there was no room in front of me, without even signaling. So I swerved to the side and the car kept its composure. But yes, I agree with you the STS is more athletic. But does that matter in the real world?
    I've driven the car and know exactly how it handles. Go into a corner hard and it rolls significantly and drifts out. I had the front tires squealing like a pig trying to hold the line, which it couldn't do. I had to back off. Salesman wasn't with me.... good thing because he probably would have crapped himself the way I was flogging his car.

These were corners I'd expect a true sports sedan to handle without a quibble. It couldn't handle them because it's not a sports sedan.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I rewatched the Speed channel's 30 minute test drive of the 300C.

The car was shown at speed with and without the ESP functioning on a test track. Likewise the car was shown on some twisty public roads with narration that compared the car with BMW and Audi (the bimmer named dropped, 7 series, the Audi name A8).

The car "journalists" often remark about these Germans as Premium or Luxury Sports Sedans.

The comparison to cars at this price point was said something like this, "if you weren't told, you might consider this 300C to be in a much more expensive class of cars -- it handles THAT good!" [sic]

I KNOW this must pain many of us who have been thinking it has to be a Bimmer or Audi or even a new STS to be able to be considered "in this class."

It would seem that the comparison between a fully decked STS and 300C is all but inevitable. The recent test of a 300C and a Pontiac and a Ford (V8 comparo) had the 300C in a class of its own -- in this test. The first thing that sprang to mind was "how would the 300C do against the STS." If the 300C comes in second -- as one would imagine, hope even, perhaps -- it will still win at a $20K price advantage.

The SRT-8 may be rough and tumble -- just makes me wonder how Chryco did it or where the $20K extra is in the STS.

Despite all this, I want the STS to succeed -- currently, it will not get my vote, my $. I think the A6, the RL and yes, the lowly 300C make a very compelling case all for some $10K to $20K less.
  • joegodjoegod Member Posts: 13
    I am waiting to trade my 02 SLS for the new STS,
    however I really need a trunk that will transport
    two full golf bags. Being retired, my wife and I
    do travel and golf. I am now concerned about the
    trunk space. I contacted Cadillac and they assured me that I would have no problem transporting two golf bags in the trunk. Oh well,
    I should be able to see one soon.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    I think I would get cluster phobic in there. I have no desire to ride in a coffin for 5 or 6 years.

Plus, I saw a Bunch of them (300 C) at Thrifty Car Rental!. There is no way I am driving a common Rental for 5 years which I paid $40 K plus for.

You bet the STS will never fill Thrifty parking lots with stripped down versions. Which will be sold after 7 months at the annual discout sale at the local stadium.
    With Cadillac, Exclusive prestige is what you are paying for. You will not get a Cadillac, any Cadillac @ $24,000.00 new. That’s the Idea here. If the 300 C is a Benz, then MB is the one loosing sales on the E class not Cadillac. Prestige is worth more than $20,000.00. that is why Jaguar XK sells for so much more than Lexus SC. Not because the XK is better than SC, but because it’s a Jaguar, not a Japanese Car by Toyota.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The STSs are arriving at the dealers now, so I guess this thread should be moved to "Sedans".

Over 3300 have been built so far.
    I want to believe this. I hope you are correct.

I am not certain that the car rental fleet argument is convincing, but I do understand the sentiment. The Cadillac interior, above, wins hands down. The exterior shots, for me, are not compelling one way or the other.

Perhaps, again -- for me, the key issue is that the option packages do not permit one to choose his/her groupings.

Perhaps if I could order the car with magnaride, sat nav and AWD and not have to take the kitchen sink, I would feel more inclined to consider one of these new STS's. My recent test drive of an SRX has certainly made me have respect for the brand -- perhaps, perhaps the marketing approach vis a vis the option packages has just thrown me for a loop.

I subscribe to Cargo magazine and the STS is compared with the new Audi A6. But, the thing is, I can equip an A6 like I want it for $51,550 and it has AWD -- I can only seem to get the STS with AWD if I also accept about $10,000 of other options.

Having said (explained or qualifed) all this, I still think there will be a comparison test in at least one or more US Auto Magazine between the STS and 300C.

It's just a hunch -- I could be wrong (and often am).
    Having said (explained or qualifed) all this, I still think there will be a comparison test in at least one or more US Auto Magazine between the STS and 300C.

It's just a hunch -- I could be wrong (and often am).

That will happen. In an attempt to label them 'domestics', yet they are world class sedans
    Yea right, 300Cs at Thrifty!?! They only have the base 300s and Touring models..not Limited and C. I checked it out.... ;-)
    "Yea right, 300Cs at Thrifty!?! They only have the base 300s and Touring models..not Limited and C. I checked it out.... ;-) "

'Joe sixpack'does not know that. They see a rental; they think it’s a rental.
    I think I know who Joe Sixpack is, but that may not be relevant. I have rented Cadillacs from the major rental agencies. I have rented Mitsubishi's, Lexus and even Jaguars from "US car rental" companies.

I have been put into Buicks and Toyotas and some really low end sub compacts too when I needed a car and few were left. Once or twice I had some very nice SUV's offered by -- ENTERPRISE! for Pete's sake.

What about a 300 being in a fleet rental somehow makes it "unworthy?"

Now, I read my words and I think somehow I am unintentionally "dissing" the Cadillac. And, I don't mean to. I, as some of you know who have read my postings, have had over 2 dozen Audis, including an A8. I have enjoyed these cars because I felt they were "high value" German sedans. As I, for once, decided to "broaden my horizons" by looking beyond Germany and beyond Audi, I have test driven several BMW's, Volvo's, Mercedes', Audi's, Acura's and even a Cadillac SRX. All the cars I drove were between $37 and $50+K -- my current car was just south of $50K -- an Audi allroad.

I am desperately trying to be "open minded" -- I will drive the Acura RL, the Audi A6 and the AWD Chrysler 300C -- these cars will range in price from $40K to south of $52K.

The criteria -- for me -- include AWD and ESP or its equivalent. Certain other premium/sporty/luxury features also are at the top of my list of "must haves."

The STS, WAS (past tense) high on my list. I read with great interest and anticipation about the STS. Yet, when I configured the car as I would want it and checked off the AWD option -- POW! the price shot up above $60K. My Audi A8 was, before discount, over $71K. I ask myself, "where is the VALUE" in the STS at nearly $62K -- even though I have no objection to the price (mostly) with all the gimcracks and do-dads that you can get on the car. I want to customize my STS or 300C or A6 or RL -- or not have to pay an arm and a leg for stuff that I may not use or benefit from. The RL is almost in the same league as the Cadillac insofar as the RL "makes" you get it with the kitchen sink.

This is an issue of wanting the car equipped as I want it, not limited to an "option package" which although perhaps fairly priced, has features that I don't really want even if they are gimmies.

I am NOT suggesting that I think the Chryco car is "as good as" the Cadillac. I am merely suggesting to GM (who perhaps monitors these blogs) that the customer should be able to "cherry pick" the features and options in a "more granular" fashion.

Finally, the 300C by all accounts is NOT a bad car.

My bias--thus far--would appear to be: Audi A6, Acura RL and a distant third the 300C followed by the STS (because of its apparently inflexible configurations).

I intend to test drive all three of these cars, thus far I have only had the opportunity to sit in a new A6.
    Finally got to see and drive the 05 STS. Car handled great. Felt a little cramped behind the
    wheel compared to my 01 Seville. I opened the trunk and was very disappointed. Car was too much
    a CTS for the price. After waiting all year to see and drive the car, I was disappointed overall. Sitting on the lot was a 04 Seville, loaded. Has everything the 05 STS has including
    more room all around. I now own it and feel good
    about my decision.
    Joe Sixpack doesn't know that!?! Just because they see a car on the road they think it's a rental? Elaborate please...
    "My Audi A8 was, before discount, over $71K. I ask myself, "where is the VALUE" in the STS at nearly $62K"

The loaded STS is $9K less than an Audi A8.... I believe you just asked and answered the value question.
    Went for a drive in a STS. The dealer did have a red full zoot V8 one but it was off being shown... this one was a silver base V6 model with a luxury package. It didn't have the price on it (built before pricing was available) but it was very similar to the a black one parked next to it except no chrome wheels. I'm guessing the sticker at $43K.

Any complaints about the CTS/SRX interiors don't apply here... this thing is really nice inside. It had the aluminum trim, very tastefully done. Controls are very straightforward - no Euro technofoolery here. Seats are nicely bolstered and adjust every which way, including lumbar.

Don't need a key to start it, just walk up, door unlocks. Put your foot on the brake and push a button, it starts. Very trick.

The STS does drive like a big CTS and that's good. They're got the ride/handling compromise nailed again. It's nimble for a fairly big car without a ride penalty.... we got on a curvy road and I was flinging it around. I did try the AutoStick, not sure I'd ever use it much as the automatic is very good.

The trunk is not really wide but is deep with a very low opening so little lifting is required to put things in. It's not Town Car big, but it's not small, either.

Bottom line, this is one of the best cars I've ever test driven and this was a base STS. The V8/AWD/Magnaride ones have got to be fantastic.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    Chrysler initially sold mid-range 300 models to fleet (rental company) customers as a sort of last minute, "real world" test of the vehicles. Now that Chrysler is selling every 300 it can build, and is considering adding a third shift at the Canada plant that produces the 300 and Dodge Magnum, I can't imagine fleet sales accounting for any significant percentage of 300 output. After all, why sell 300s at a discount to fleet buyers when individual consumers are willing to buy every last one of them at (or much closer to) full price?

Setting the whole rental car issue aside, however, the fact remains that the Cadillac STS will have more "prestige" than the 300C. That a base 300 can be had for $24K prevents even a fully loaded, ~$40K AWD 300C from competing with the cachet a base STS will carry.

Having said that, I really like both vehicles, and hope the STS is as successful for Cadillac as the 300 has been for Chrysler.

-- Mark
  • loslobos71loslobos71 Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone here think that by next august they will offer AWD without making you buy EVERY option...Possibly with the V6? I like the car a lot but i dont want to spend 62K on a car, looking at about 47-48K. Thanks
    To see Magnaride as a stand alone option more than anything else.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Since I do not recall seeing a reply to this:

I saw my first V8 this PM - at my local dealer.
    The Sticker shows 17 / 26.

- Ray
    Moderately impressed with the 26 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I was impressed with the interior quality. The back seat could use a little more room. I would like a more "American" ride, and a little less road feel.
    I'm hoping to test drive one this month too.
    I was also impressed with the interior, except there needs to be more of it. The STS is going in the right direction, however there is room for
    improvement. Inside room, trunk space, more choices on options leading to AWD. As a loyal Cadillac owner, I was a little disappointed in the overall vehicle.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Saw the ad for the STS while watching the Ryder Cup today, what a great ad! Ad shows Mercedes and Bimmers getting the hell out of the way for the STS. AD states "the party is over". Great ad, but probably will not move Mercedes and Bimmer owners.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    That has to be better than the STS breaking through the glass with the words on em... kinda lame commercials. Ready for some music besides Led Zep too. :)

-Paul
    2005 sts test drive 1

1SE

Coming from: Most recently = 12,000 miles in a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Sport – 3.9L / 280 HP V8 w/ 5 speed auto-manual and similar weight.

I drove it for about 15 miles – over very familiar streets and a stretch of Interstate near where I live.

First, since this was a 1SE with no other options (only 2 V8 STSs that my closest dealer has received were identical except for color.) and if I purchased one, it will likely be a 1SG, with the “Performance Handling Package” = Michelin P255/45R18 Pilot Sport (Sport Package) on 8” wide rims = Free Flow RPO: QAF.

So - I tried to focused on the items / attributes that would likely be very similar on a 1SG. And not on things that would be changed.

Trans. – smooth up and downshifts. Somewhat better shift quality than I have now. No odd behavior there, except . . .

In a test, I left it in the Manual Gate, in 5th gear, when coming to a full stop. It still displayed M5 – but when I pulled away, it had clearly, really put itself back into full automatic mode? Display stayed the same. Seems very odd.

I heard sliding noises (apparently coming from the 2 / 4 intersecting slide cover pieces that keep anything from falling down into the console shift mechanism??) on every movement of the lever forward or back for a ‘manual’ shift. Perhaps an adjustment could fix this? (Mine has always been silent.)

Ride without MagnaRide – very similar to my 2003 Lincoln LS8 Sport. Not bad, but not as smooth over patched asphalt as I had hoped. But again, I am waiting for 1 with MagnaRide (1SG or 1SF, sunroof, etc.) to drive for comparison. I am hoping that the MagnaRide will allow an STS with the 18” wheels to ride at least as well as my LS on 17s.

Engine – Very quiet. Too quiet for my taste – Actually, not the engine, but rather the dual exhaust is too quiet for me. I prefer to hear at least some of that unique V8 heterodyne beat. I’d expect to either replace the rear mufflers with something like MagnaFlows or have a full ‘CatBack’ system like Corsa’s put on shortly after purchase. But that’s just me.

Perhaps someone can help me here –

My understanding of optional / available axle ratios is:

V-6: 3.42.
    V-8: 2.73, 3.23, 3.42.
    AWD V-8: 3.23 only.

The brochure shows the 3.42 as included with the 1SG. Does this mean that all other (non-1SG) V8 STSs coming with the 2.73? Or at least all ‘V8 Base’ and 1SEs?

This would potentially explain the relatively high EPA highway number of 26 – and the fact that many who have driven the news STS state that it does not feel like 320 hp / sub-6 sec. 0-60. I would have to agree, the acceleration (both ‘off the line’ and highway merge) was not what I had expected.

That 2.73 ratio would take away substantial acceleration – but allow low rpm at cruise. (2.73 to 3.42 = approx. 20% less torque multiplication!!!!) Particularly if 1SG is limited to a very small percentage of total V8 production, perhaps that allows a higher (weighted) EPA average? Will the EPA ratings listed on a 1SG be different than other V8s? Has anyone seen a 1SG sticker? Interesting. . .

My dealer notified me, via email after I left, that he expects a 1SG this Friday. Perhaps I can answer a few of my own questions, if it actually arrives on schedule.

Interesting drive.
    - Ray
    STS V8 is still on my ‘short list’ for whenever I feel that my LS needs replacement . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sevilleseville Member Posts: 3
    Update: Bought '05 DTS. Good ride, PLENTY of trunk space and decent gas mileage with no guzzler tax. Love the air conditioned seats and the XM radio. Ride not as firm as the '02 STS I traded, but not sloppy either. Wanted the new STS, but it was just too small. Cars don't have to be small to improve gas mileage or performance. Gearing, aluminum and fiberglass would allow them to build an AMERICAN type car with the performance of the European cars they are striving for.
  • etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Ray -

Could you have a go at describing the 'roominess' of the drivers seat, and any thoughts on the ergonomics? Much thanks.

- Gene
    Still waiting to find out what Ray is still waiting to find out........
  • ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    I drove the V-8 (Luxury) STS. Here's my assessment:

1) Seats were comfortable; ergonomics were great. The car is a beauty.
    2) The car rode a little harsher than expected (comparing it to the E-320).
    3) The steering was not as direct as I would have expected. The car seemed to wander requiring numerous steering corrections (unlike BMW's 3 series).
    4) And the engine didn't seem to have the power of an American V-8. Will drive the V-6 next time.
    5) I discovered that the V-8 has a higher EPA highway rating than the V-6! This may be due to the gear ratios.......
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I was driving by the local Cadillac dealership this morning, so I decided to look at an STS, to answer some of the questions I had about them. They had one STS, a V8 with the 1SE package, MSRP $50,340 (plus dealer add-ons). I thought the window sticker might say what rear axle ratio the car had, but it didn't. EPA mileage shown was 17/26. This is respectable, but there's no way the cars with the 3.42 rear axle could achieve 26 mpg highway. (I believe the V6 is only 24mpg with that ratio.) I'm 5'll", and there was adequate front seat headroom (at least with no sunroof). However, my hair was brushing the roof in back. Rear leg room was adequate, though. Although the published trunk volume is smaller than most other cars of similar size, the trunk looks very deep, front-to-rear. It is pretty shallow, though. All in all, the car has a lot going for it, but the price is creeping close to LS430 territory. There is no way the STS is equivalent to an LS430, in my mind. I didn't ask to drive it.
    1SF

Well, the different final drive gear (1SF = 3.23 vs. 1SE = 2.73 = approx. 15 - 18% more “mechanical advantage”) makes this a MUCH more responsive and sporty feeling vehicle. It was immediately noticeable.

This change is equal to something over half a typical ‘gear step’. Meaning: In 3rd, with 3.23, a 1SF would pull almost like a 1SE does in 2nd with 2.73. Etc. Almost. Point being that I do not claim to have a precisely calibrated “butt dyno” – but the difference in acceleration available was immediately apparent to me. With this ratio, the STS V8 now truly feels the way that I expected - from a vehicle where published tests indicate a sub- 6 second 0-60 and low 14s quarter.

(My current Lincoln LS V8 has been independently established as capable of a mid-6 second 0-60 and 14.7-ish quarter.)

I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone looking for acceleration as part of the performance equation at least drive a 1SF or 1SG before deciding on a 1SE – or deciding to purchase a different vehicle. It was that dramatic a difference, to me!

Other observations.

MagnaRide: The tire pressures (according to the monitoring system) were 37 to 41 cold. And with these pressures, it rode approx. like my LS with 34. Good, but not great. Since my LS also has 50 series Michelins – and more ride biased than handling biased - I had expected a bit better. The Michelins (oddly, 255 / 45s on the rear of the 1SF) chosen are clearly not ultimate street handling tires like the QAF Pilot Sports would be.

Sunroof: Obviously, the 1SE did not have one. The 1SF w/roof appears to have just enough clearance for me. Just. And I am only 6’ even. The wind noise from the roof in the full ‘vent’ position was well managed and quite reasonable.

Indicated RPM at 60 approx. 2050-2100 at 70 approx. 2300. It was, I’ll admit, difficult to obtain steady readings in the 5 or 6 miles I drove on the busy Atlanta area Interstate this AM. I was also unable to obtain a reasonably accurate instant MPG reading on the Driver Info. Center due to constant traffic. Oh, well.

The front seats felt a bit odd to me. I felt like I was sitting with the center section too far forward? Or the sides were not far enough forward – to provide me with lateral support. I made certain that the lumbar support was as far back as possible. Cooled seats worked well.

Odd that even at the $58K level the STS does not offer adjustable foot pedals.
    I guess that’s all.

I find, in 2 brief test drives, the STS in V8 / 1SF form to be a very attractive car.

Just my $0.02.

- Ray
    Ready to try a Jaguar S-Type R (much more HP!!) next . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    I am somewhat skeptical of the 26 MPG EPA highway rating – for the 1SF (3.23 final drive ratio) and 1SG (3.42 ratio) versions – but not for the 1SE (2.73).

I do not know how 3 configurations with THAT large a change in final drive ratio could all achieve 26 MPG on the highway EPA mileage test.

And the 24 number for the V6 (3.42 ratio) throws even more interesting light on the situation.

But in this case, I don’t know exactly what all the (legal?) issues are so far as publishing such information on the window sticker.

- Ray
    Remembering that the AWD version (3.23 ratio) has achieved (?) a ‘gas guzzler’ rating . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    If performance was a major factor in my buying decision, I believe I'd seriously consider getting my name on the waiting list for a 300C SRT-8. It should blow the doors off any STS, and it'll be a roomier car for,presumably, less money.
    I may drive one. It will likely list for a lot less than a loaded STS.

Performance is a major factor for me - but the compromises made to achieve thrilling acceleration in the 300C SRT-8 may be just a bit too extreme for me.

19 MPG highway is a bit less than I'd hoped for as well.

But everyone has their own comfort level with the compromises involved. Some may love the 1SE version of the STS.
    - Ray
    Still in favor of the HP 'race' . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    get a 2006 BMW M5 with the V10. :) I'm sure it will smoke a few tires. :)

-Paul
    One compromise that Chrysler did NOT make was to use turbocharging or supercharging. I respect them for that.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Excuse me rcf8000 but the STS is more than equivalent, it is better (if your younger) than the LS430. Unlike the 430, the STS is tight and sporty, with 4 different gear ratios, 2 engines, and exactly where the 430 has plastic (at least it looks like plastic), the STS has beautiful eucalyptus wood trim around the Nav system. The engine is also better, the Northstar has a better rep than any Japanese V8 so far, and Car and Driver repeatedly said if anything can match BMW's v8's, its the Northstar (check the issue were the SRX V8 won the comparison).
    And BTW, Cadillac quality is more than a match for Lexus, these newer cars are built like no other American cars before, and it shows.
    The LS430 appeals to slow old people who would otherwise buy a DTS or Town Car, IMO.
    And in style, unlike the 430 which is too busy trying to be a Mercedes, the STS cannot be mistaken for anything other than a Cadillac, and in this market, at this price point, this advantage cannot be understated.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Saw my first one this morning in the show room.
    Good looking car. 50.3K sticker with the low end option. It did not have moon roof, which I always buy. To get this I would have to move up to the second option that added $11K to the base price of $47K and change. Only other option was to get a local shop to install at $1500, don't like that.
    Dealer said they had big orders on the way with no real backlog to fill. Said they are ready to deal now. Left me with the impression that I could get the car for $45K. Think I want to look at the new Acura RL coming out in mid Oct for same price. Resale on the Acura should be better, however I was impressed on how far Cadillac has come. If you insist on buying American, then this would be a car to highly consider.
    You don't have to move up to another option package to get a moon roof. It is available as a stand-alone option for $1200. My observation about the demand for these cars is the same as you experienced. My local dealer has received 3 cars so far, and only one was sold before it arrived at the dealership.
    "Sunroof is only orderable with 1SC, 1SF and 1SG Pkgs. until further notice "
    - from Arifleet 3 or 4 weeks ago.

It looks like this restriction MAY have been lifted.

- Ray
    Also needing a hole in the roof . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • nbfc260nbfc260 Member Posts: 7
    I just got my STS with the 1SF package with adaptive cruise and hud. It is light platinum w/ebony interior with tinted windows. It not only looks more amazing than the pics out there but it drives better than you can think of. It is so smooth and powerful on the road. People just look at it not knowing what it is.
    Generally I agree with the phrase there is no replacement for displacement. However, I have come to have respect for the phrase "volumetric efficiency." Mercedes super and Audi bi-turbos have created some mighty impressive power from 4's, 6's and 8's of late!

I say blown or unblown is OK and based on how the engine is made and how the power curve, er, "curves" -- I respect 'em both!
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    for a few miles - enough to get a sense of how the car is to drive, but not enough for a serious evaluation. Overall, fairly smooth with only a little tire/suspension harshness noted. Transmission shifted very smoothly and quickly whether driven moderately or hard. I thought that the V6 had very good power overall, but the engine was noticeably harsh and noisy compared to the inline six in my BMW 528. Some road noise noted and the car overall was not as quiet as I expected. Controls, stereo, etc, seemed pretty well placed and logical. I thought the seats, including lumbar were very good, but I was not overly impressed with the perceived quality of the interior materials - not bad, but certainly not top of the line. Handling seemed generally good, but the car seems ponderous and large compared to other sports sedans in its price range. I guess overall, I liked it, but doubt that I would buy a V6 STS (I didn't get to drive the V8, but plan to try to in the near future). I believe that with the upcoming new RL, M35/45, GS300/430, Audi A6, etc, Caddy will have very stiff competition. After tonight, I definitely plan to drive them all before deciding.
  • sevilleseville Member Posts: 3
    They probably think it's a CTS!!
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    Anyone know what the transmission and rear-end (ring and pinion) gear ratios are for this new V8 models?

The older Sevilles used to have four speed automatics, and had either 3.15s (SLS) or 3.71s (STS.)

Also, being as this new five speed is different than the older four speed, what are its ratios?

Thanks in advance.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I have been wondering the same thing and looking at Cadillac's website. There are 3 axle ratios available, 2.73, 3.23, and 3.42:1. The 3.23 gears are the only ratio available with AWD, but all three are available with the V8 and RWD. The Premium Luxury Package shows that the 3.42 axle is part of this package. The 3.23:1 gears are not specified anywhere that I have noticed. My guess is that the base/luxury STS V8 comes with the 2.73:1 gears.

The Seville with the base (275 hp) engine had a 3.11:1 axle and 0.68 overdrive. With the 5 speed, the 2.73:1 axle and 0.76 overdrive give about the same overdrive ratio. Low gear is nearly the same too. The 3.42:1 axle gives nearly the same gearing as the old STS 3.71:1 axle ratio, both for low and overdrive.
This discussion has been closed.