Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra - How much did you pay?

Comments

• anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Does anyone have any lease prices they could post??? I would like to know a ballpark range for a 4x2 access cab with leather. SR5 or limited. thanks for any responses.

I currently am leasing a solara SLE V6 and love it. now i have use for a truck and being a toyota nut i would like a tundra. Please include the amount of down payment.... I prefer NO down payment. Thanks again
  • kentekente Member Posts: 28
    The Toyota VIP Security was on a no sell status for a few months. I waited and had the new improved version installed on 11/11. The Toyota System is superior. If your dealer is still claiming that, I think he is installing a cheaper system just to make money. Send email directly to Toyota and I'll bet that all of a sudden he will have the Toyota System.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I bought one of the first Tundras from Vann York. It was more pot luck than anything, because they had a regular cab in the one of the colors I wanted. I got white. They treated me very nicely and was happy to deal on the new Tundra. I paid 17,000 including a slew of options, tax, title, and tags. I bought it on July 4th weekend. I bought my last truck, a T100 from Rice Toyota in May 1994. By the way, I live on the outskirts of Thomasville.
  • tp4unctp4unc Member Posts: 437
    I tried Vann York first but could not get anywhere
    with my negotiations. I'm glad you had better luck. My father-in-law bought the first Tundra Vann York sold(at least that's what they told him). It was a platinum access cab 2wd. Seems like it was around memorial day. He loves his so far. I ordered mine on 7/3 but did not take delivery until 8/13(i think). No regrets to this day. I'll be looking for a white Tundra on my next trip through the Chair City. Enjoy.
    Does anyone have any lease prices they could post??? I would like to know a ballpark range for a 4x2 access cab with leather. SR5 or limited. thanks for any responses.

I currently am leasing a solara SLE V6 and love it. now i have use for a truck and being a toyota nut i would like a tundra. Please include the amount of down payment.... I prefer NO down payment. Thanks again
  • 1taxman1taxman Member Posts: 27
    Look at jimbarkleytoyota.com, they put lease prices on all the trucks

• vert3vert3 Member Posts: 1
    Do me a favor, charlotte tundra buyer. Can you let me in on your secret of buying a car in Florida, financing it through First Union and getting exactly what you wanted in ten days? I have been agonizing over which Charlotte-area dealer to do business with. I never even thought about buying it out of state. How does that work? You can drop me an e-mail at mark.vertreese@firstunion.com
  • junktogojunktogo Member Posts: 3
    I am ready to purchase a Tundra 4X4 Access cab but after seeing the prices some have paid it is hard to pay MSRP plus Gulf States Distributors added items which is what the dealers near here seem to want. Would consider going some distance to get a truck at a good price. I am in Northwest Arkansas. Any suggestions or offers?
    junktogo@netzero.net
  • washingtondcwashingtondc Member Posts: 1
    I am now in day 10 with 18 days to go. Was promised a 28 day delivery on my new Tundra. I've got an Imperial Jade 4x2 V8 SR5 Extended Cab on order from a dealer in the Wash/Va/Md area and was pleased with the deal so far. Using info from Edmunds.com I got the following options: DZ, CK, BL, AL, LF, RE, and CQ, with the 60/40 split bench seat for $23285. Dealer says MSRP was 25109. My target price was 23100 but I'm ok with what I got. I let him keep his holdback and I think a reasonable profit without getting stuck. No extra dealer handling/prep, or advertising etc. I'm really pleased with the info and education EDMUNDS.COM provided. Its a completely different feeling when you can negotiate armed with the same prices and info the salesman has.

What I need help with is, does anyone have information on a security package called 'CAR-LINK'? The dealer insisted this was better than LOWJACK, and I'm not too familiar with Toyota's security product. Anyone out there with info on this ??
  • jleechjleech Member Posts: 1
    Im looking for places in the southeast where you can get a Tundra at invoice.Can anyone help?e-mail me at jleech@tsixroads.com
  • fishinfoolfishinfool Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am currently interested in buying a Toyota Tundra SR5 V8. I was just curious what price I should be looking at. I mean the best price. I understand that around 22000. is about right. Has anyone out there gotten a better deal? Thanks for anyone and everyones help.

• 1taxman1taxman Member Posts: 27
    Look at JimBarkleytoyota.com . He posts lease prices on his site.
  • lhyamalhyama Member Posts: 7
    Looking to buy a Toyota Thundra SR5 V8 ACESSS CAB
    WANT TO SPEND 500 OVER INVOICE AT A DEALER IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. ANY SUGGESTIONS

LHYAMA@AOL.COM

• cwirthcwirth Member Posts: 169
    I thought someone answered you previously on this.

• jack114jack114 Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT MY TUNDRA AT BOCH TOYOTA IN NORWOOD.A4WD 8CYL ACCESS CAB SUNFIRERED. STICKER PRICE WAS 26,300 I PAID 24,300.IT WASNT EASY TO GET THEM TO GO LOWER THAN $1,500 OFF STICKER. IM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS TRUCK ,IT HANDLES GREAT AND ITS GOT LOTS OF POWER.
  • tman6tman6 Member Posts: 1
    I have been a loyal Chevy P/U owner . I had a 94 silverado 1500 4x4. I was on my way down to trade it in on a 2000 model. I past by a Toyota dealership and at the last minute decided to test-drive the Tundra just to say I did before I bought my new chevy. I never made it to the Chevy house.I ended up with a Black,TRD pk,AB,CK,CQ,dz,P1,sl,WL,B8,TOWING PK,4X4,securikey,mats bedliner etc. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS TRUCK! MSRP 30,600 Paid 28,800. They dont deal like the chevy dealers do but the quality difference is well worth it.This is one awesome truck!
  • lhyamalhyama Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a New Toyota Thundra White V8 SR5 MSRP
    25170 w/beliner Paid 22993+ tax and lic. Took delivery sameday.Only one problem when I start the truck sometimes it shuts off then when I start it agian it starts fine. Any suggestions
  • richard48richard48 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know whether the RB (COLOR-KEYED RUNNING BOARDS) option is available? I haven't seen it on any trucks at the dealers and salesmen are telling me the only way to get them is through a special order in their parts department. That jacks the price up from the $426 invoice to over $700, installed.
  • lmurflmurf Member Posts: 13
    I bought a new Chevy 4wd in 78, 94, 96, 98, and 99. I've had a 2000 Silverado ordered and I traded yesterday for a 2000 Tundra Access Cab Limited 4wd. It is the smoothest riding and shifting truck I've ever had. I won't say I'll never have another Chevy, but this is really nice!
    lmurf in E. Tenn
    clinton2701@aol.com

• 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    I am very curious as to why you traded your 99 chevy in on a Tundra and why were you already shopping for a 2000?? What kind of problems were you having to drive you to do this?
    Thanks
  • solara1solara1 Member Posts: 12

• salamander67salamander67 Member Posts: 1
    I got a Tundra SR5 leather V8 access cab, and all the options for 23,000. I leased the car for five years and have the 5yr 60000 mile warranty all for 253.01. The best way to find out how to lease a car is at www. leaseguide. com they give the formula on how to figure your payments.
  • hychkahychka Member Posts: 1
    Kelly and Edmund don't seem to have the Tundra Access 4X4 limited prices. Where may I find them? And any leads of a flexible Toyota dealer in Indiana willing to sel me a packed limited at a darn good price?
  • lmurflmurf Member Posts: 13
    I have no major complaints against my 99 Silverado. I did have some wind noise at the passenger door that some hinge and closure adjusting would have probably corrected. It was black and the paint had some sanding lines that showed through on the rt rear fender. I never had the driveline and vibration problems that some people did. Chevy had some bad truck transmissions in '99, but mine was okay, just shifted a little hard. The only reason I wanted to trade so quickly was the convenience of a 4th door. It is even more handy than I suspected! (Wait and see if Ford's new Supercrew, 4 real doors with a 5 1/2 foot bed, is not a big success.) I like the Tundra so far, but I haven't driven it enough to break it in. I'm 43 years old, and this is my first vehicle that was not a Ford, Chevy, or Mopar, so I will have to be awfully impressed to switch over completely. I'll you know how it works out.
    Thanks for writing.
    lmurf
    clinton2701@aol.com

Best bet to obtain leasing information. Go by your local Toyota dealer and ask.
  • dfloreadflorea Member Posts: 1
    I recently visited a Toyota Dealer. The salesman showed me an invoice of over 26000. for a tundra SR5 v8 access cab 4X4. All I wanted was standard equipment, v8, automatic trans. The salesperson said that they are only making this vehicle with factory options included which brought up the price to over 26000. Invoice? Is this correct?
  • jyukonjyukon Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard of price increases for Toyotas after the first of the year? Is it common for manufacturers to raise prices at this time? I'd like to wait a few more months before my purchase, but not if I'll be hit with an increase.

• karaikarai Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2000 Tundra Ltd w/ TRD,LA, all weather, cc, etc. (basically all you can get) for $651 over invoice from Longo Toyota on 11/11/99. They have a large inventory (20 or so). I wanted this specific truck and was having trouble getting it. I was dealing with Symes Pasadena at first and even placed a $1000 deposit with them. I waited 4 months and when the truck finally arrived, the GM of the company (Jon Montgomery) gave me a price of $1500 over. I ask him if this was the best he could do even after all this hassle (I even called the customer complaint line at Toyota and spoke to the regional sales manager) and time. I finally got him down to $1000 and he let me walk out to shop around. I called around and Longo had the same truck, but with an under rail bed liner and they offered $1000. I told them I did not want to pay that much and they came down to $651. I drove off the lot that night. Longo made it easy to purchase my new Toy which I love and already have 3100 miles on it. I think Longo was competitive because they had a large inventory. Symes just did not want to deal. I think he finally sold that truck to someone because I've seen it around. Anyway, that's my story.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I was out today to two dealers in the Seattle area. The first dealer didn't have any Limited models so I drove an SR5, liked it fine, but wanted to see a leather Limited. We didn't talk price.

The 2nd dealer had a oak leather Limited with all the options including the TRD pkg. The woodgrain on the dash was a turnoff for me - looked really tacked on and out of place. I'm also not that sure I like the TRD pkg - I like the idea of the better shocks, but the stickers and raised letter tires I could do without. The SR5 looks like a more handsome truck to me.

Otherwise, I liked the Limitied fine, but I distinctly thought it was down on power compared to the SR5 model I just drove and it had nearly 300 miles on it (they said it had been driven to their dealership in a trade.) The engine seemed noticeably noisier and less crisp. I also thought the gray paint was strange - does anyone see tinges of blue and/or purple in the gray paint? The platinum is even stranger. Why can't they do straight silver and gray paint?

Anyway, despite my reservations, I went ahead and started negotiating on the Limited. The best I could get them to do was about $1500 over straight book invoice (ignoring holdback).

So I'm in a quandry now. I'm tempted to just drop back to the SR5 because they are in plentiful supply, cheaper, and I can cherry pick a really low-miles one off a lot somewhere. I don't have to get the fake wood either. I just wish I could get leather.

I'm also considering a fax strategy to get bids - it took me nearly four hours today to hit these two dealers and I'd like to short-circuit this process. The fact that I have a trade-in which is about the same value as the new truck though, makes it very advantageous for me to do a trade as sales tax is on the difference. Trade-ins are hard without in-person contact.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

- Mark
  • mpilatmpilat Member Posts: 1
    Markjenn. It appears to me that the inventory of Tundras in the Seattle - Portland area has increased steadily over the past 4 months. Note the decrease in advertised prices in Seattle & Portland newspapers. It is my impression that one can do better than $1500 over invoice but no hard data to support this. I suggest trying FAX communications - especially if the dealer will provide the FAX number for obtaining quotes. Good luck. I am waiting for limited slip feature on the 4x4. Good luck! Keep us advised on your progress. Mikey in Seattle.
  • prestenpresten Member Posts: 3
    After my experience in Napa, CA and then moving on to the dealer in Santa Rosa, CA I thought I had a deal. Sorry!, the salesman there started to give me the same BS regarding ordering the truck exactly as I wanted it. The order date and delivery date started slipping every time I called him and in frustration I finally said forget it!. Actually by then I had contacted a couple of East Coast dealers to see what they could do. A dealer in Alexandria, VA was very prompt in getting back to me and was able in very short order to locate exactly the truck I wanted. Another dealer out there tried very hard but couldn't find one that had the required CA emisions package. Anyway, the dealer that found one for me was more than willing to do some E-mail and phone bargining and we ended up saving me about $2200 under the MSRP. The truck now sits on his lot with a "Sold" tag on it. Now since I am a retired airline (United) employee, my wife and I will fly to Dulles for free, the dealer will pick us up, and we can make a nice vacation out of the drive back. Look at it as a pre-paid vacation or not caving in to the rip-off Northern California dealers...either way I feel good about it. It has been an interesting experience to say the least. By the way, my Tundra is a 4WD Access Cab Limited, Captains chairs in leather, TRD package, All Weather package, Premium radio package, Anti-lock brakes, and Two tone paint. I did not want and did not have to accept any of the dealer installed options since they are generally 50% higher in cost than from outside sources. I plan to have a spray liner, a roll back bed cover and trailer hitch installed locally. Thanks of listening.
    Welcome to the Wash DC metro area when you get here. I live about 25 miles NE of Alexandria. When I bought my Tundra in early June, one of the first production models, the local dealer gave me what I thought was a substantial discount from MSRP for a brand new vehicle. Probably could do better now but at least I have had over 6 months of enjoyment with it. By the way, I have the Pace-Edwards roll top cover and love it.
  • wmeccawmecca Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a Tundra SR5 V8 Regular Cab with the following options CQ, CK, AL, DZ, AB, LF, LB, CT, V3, WI, and WL from Toyota of Glen Burnie in Maryland. I was able to get the truck for over $2400 below MSRP. The truck had to be specially ordered because there were no Regular Cab pickups on the lot. Delivery time took about 6 weeks.

If you are looking for a pretty fair deal, I'd suggest checking out Toyota of Glen Burnie and see if you could get Alan Adams in sales. Alan is a great guy to work with. He was extremely helpful and kept me informed with weekly status reports on my order. It was a very positive and painless experience working with Toyota of Glen Burnie.

As for the truck, I haven't had it very long, but so far I've been extremely pleased. Nice ride and performance.

Bill
  • goldwing5goldwing5 Member Posts: 1
    I've narrowered my search between the F-150 and the Tundra. The Toyota V-8 is stronger and quieter than Ford's small 8 (I drove both). The Tundra rides smoother and just feels better than the Ford. In all likelyhood I will soon buy the Tundra. Before choosing between the two trucks I ordered Comsumer Report's buying guide for each vehicle. According to the report Ford has a $659.00 holdback on the XLT Supercab F-150. C.R. states Toyota has no holdback on any Tundra. For you folks not familiar with holdback, it is basically an under-the-table reward the company gives a dealer for selling a car/truck. The majority of buyers don't realize this monetary reward exists with most manafucturers. I was surprised to read Toyota has no holdback since the practice has been around for years. If anyone disputes Consumer Report's claim then let's hear it. I can only tell you what they told me. By the way, the magazine rates Tundra as the best P/U for '2000.
  • miked13miked13 Member Posts: 1
    epinions.com also reported no holdback on Tundras. Does anyone out there know if this is true? Any Toyota sales people out there? If no holdback then it would be difficult to buy at true invoice.
  • cueballcueball Member Posts: 4
    After months of research, visits and e-mails to every dealer in Northern Calif., I can say "thanks, but no thanks". If you want a black, white or green Tundra, no problem. If you want Silver with a purple hue or Red, no problem. If you are willing to pay more than $1000 over invoice, no problem. If you are willing to settle for the combination of options sitting on the lot with inflated dealer add-ons, no problem. I have follwed this column for months and here is what I got. F150 XLT SuperCab, 4x4 with Off-Road package, Tow package, 5.4L engine with A/T, Captains Chairs. Choice of interior and exterior color and credit for options I didn't want. Paid $26,300 after the farm bureau rebate. I strongly recommend that you Toyota dealers wake up soon. The Tundra is a great truck (yet still un-proven). But it's not all that. Get a clue! Roseville, Florin Road, Folsom and Maita Toyota lost the chance to sell me a truck because they treated me with a take it or leave it attitude. When I spend my hard earned money ($30,000 in this case)I get what I want without compromise. To all of you looking to buy a new truck in the near future I say check all your options before you spend and good luck!
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    I totally agree with you. The idiot Toyota dealers were so anxious to turn big bucks on this truck! They sold a few to people who just couldn't wait for 30-32 grand. The rest of us said no way. Eventually I saved a bundle buying in Oregon because I'm a resident (no tax). These dealers and salespeople are like parasites. They serve absolutely no purpose, except to confuse and bilk people out of their hard earned cash. They should pay a few well trained staff to help you find the vehicle you want instead of hiring money-hungry commisioned salepespeople....This concludes my rant!
  • 606zpx606zpx Member Posts: 75
    When I was shopping around the summertime for a new truck, I found that when toyota dealers were taking preorders on the Tundra there wasnt much flexibility in price. However, once they hit the dealerships in reasonable numbers I found that most were willing to deal substantially. In fact there are at least 3 dealerships I had visited that were willing to sell at 500 or less over invoice.
    At least around here, I think they realize that the Tundra is just another vehicle, and that in order to pull people who would ordinarily buy GM, Dodge, or Ford over to Toyota they have to offer a significant incentive.
  • mslevymslevy Member Posts: 6
    I wanted to share my experience with my Tundra purchase. First of all, I want to thank all of those who have provided insight on this discussion board. It is an excellent tool for getting information to new buyers. I've been negotiating price with several dealers for about 1 month. Yesterday (12/26) one of those dealers called me up and wanted to make a deal. After negotiating all morning over the phone we finally agreed on a price + t,t,t. When I came in to close the deal, the dealer worked up a sheet with all the costs. They added $149 for some Paint protection package that warranties the paint for 5 years. They told me I no choice I must pay it. Also, they added $199 for dealer docs. I negotiated the paint package down to $75 + Two (2) oil changes. I could not do anything about $199 for dealer docs. Has anyone else had this situation? Btw I purchased a Tundra with the following options: SR5 V8 4WD Access Cab, 16” TRD, Aluminum wheels, Antilock, bench front seat, Bedliner, Convenience Package, Deluxe 3 in 1 radio, Tow package, & fog lamps for $26,599 + fees. That’s $339 over invoice. Just remember everything is negotiable. It’s a wonderful truck with excellent quality. Now I know why it’s Motor Trend Truck of the year.
  • lyqwydlyqwyd Member Posts: 4
    Should you pay destination charge on a vehicle
    that you are buying off the lot? my understanding
    is that you only pay destination charge when you
    are ordering a specific model that has to be
    ordered from the manufacturer
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    All vehicles are ordered from the manufacturer, they are also all delivered to the dealer and that is what the destination charge is for. I have never talked to a dealer that would even consider reducing this charge. But it never hurts to try.
  • lyqwydlyqwyd Member Posts: 4
    Should you pay destination charge on a vehicle
    that you are buying off the lot? my understanding
    is that you only pay destination charge when you
    are ordering a specific model that has to be
    ordered from the manufacturer
This discussion has been closed.