Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• andygatorandygator Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Arctic Blue, auto, no-navi TSX from King Acura in Birmingham this weekend. Price includes trunk liner, wheel locks, splash guards and 3 service visits.

Here's a breakdown of what I paid:

26,000 - TSX
    195 - doc fee
    926 - state, county and city sales tax
    16 - license and title fee
    -----------

Although I haven't posted much, I've certainly read a lot and wanted to give a big thanks to Edmunds and all you folks who have posted. It was a huge help in my decision.
  • mhasanmhasan Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Acura at Napleton in Elmhurst in the Chicago suburbs. I dealt with the Internet sales manager and had the deal nearly closed over email. Focus on getting it close to the 25,400 number as possible before Tax & Title. Try to make sure the 25,400 comes with the protection package (wheel locks, mud guards, mats) and includes destination and doc fees.

With the new 2006's on their way in only a matter of weeks, the dealers are anxious to get their existing 2005 inventory off the lots. Use this to your advantage. Good luck! The effort is all worth it!
  • gkg680gkg680 Member Posts: 25
    I visited Napleton Acura in 1996, seeking a new CL coupe, with a 5-speed manual transmission and black paint. No Chicago dealer could get me the car. (My car, a 1983 Saab Turbo, had broken down. Needing a car, I bought a new 1996 Saab, which I still have.)
    The sales manager at Napleton was a courteous young man, who quoted me a price, despite not having the car. He said, "That's not our last shot, but we're comfortable with that, and we think you'll have trouble doing much better. We think we're reputable, I showed you our service department, and we wash your car whenever you're here, no questions asked."
    I haven't visited Napleton since, and their website always shows no TSX's with manual transmissions, but I won't buy an Acura without visiting them, because they earned my respect.
    Those of you who don't live in Chicago might not know that Chicago proper has no Acura dealers. They're all in the suburbs, although I'm told that routine Acura maintenance can be performed by any Honda dealer.
    Thank you for your helpful post.
    Napleton Acura seems to have it together; they were professional, courteous, and I felt like they weren't trying the 'usual tricks.'

I can't say the same for Acura in Palatine however.
  • rajeevpsftrajeevpsft Member Posts: 6
    From a driving experience perspective, what do the people of the board feel about the TSX vs TL. Which is better?

TIA
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    Define better. The TL is bigger, has more power and a few more interior amenities. The TSX is smaller, has a tighter chassis, quick ratio steering, an outstanding drivetrain with nowhere near the power of the TL

If you value sharp handling and a real fun-to-drive factor, I'm of the opinion that the TSX is the better car. The TSX fits more like a glove and has outstanding out-of-the-box handling performance.

If sheer HP and straightline performance are important to you, the TL is probably the better choice. It will not handle as well as the TSX. Torque steer will also be an issue with this car.

I've had my TSX for ~19 months, and still look forward to driving it all the time. That's testimonial enough for me. :D
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    Hey! Do I have a forum for you!!

Acura TSX vs. Acura TL

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rajeevpsftrajeevpsft Member Posts: 6
    HP is not as important as the fun to drive factor. I was curious that the TL was rated at almost the same gas mileage (21 - 30) as the TL (20 - 29) inspite of being a smaller car and 4 cylinder. That made me curious to see if there was something else about the TSX that I didn't catch. I see that the TSX is slightly smaller but not a whole lot.

What interior amenities does the TL have that the TSX doesn't? I did a compare on Edmunds and didn't see much of a difference in that area.

Thanks
  • marko959marko959 Member Posts: 5
    I'm thinking about buying a TSX. It's a six speed and the charcoal color. No Nav. The list price is around $27,600.

I'm trading in a 2002 Z28 that I am upside down on. I owe $15,200 and the dealer is offering $13,300, which is a little above what Edmunds says the trade in value is. What I'm asking for is suggestions on what to offer them for the TSX. Am I screwed as far as negotiations are concerned because I have a trade in?

It's been a long time since I traded in a car and I am not well informed on how to deal with a dealer on this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    If you get the price of the TSX under 26K you're doing quite well. Get a quote from CarMax on your trade, otherwise take their deal.
    The fuel economy of Honda V6's has always been good. I think maybe the TSX and TL are close in EPA ratings for a couple of reasons.

First, the I4 in the TSX is in a fairly high state of tune (not to say that the TL's V6 is not) and can be a tad on the thirsty side when pushed. This is not to say that it's bad at all. I still get well over 30 MPG on pure freeway driving. You can drive it hard, or you can drive it sedately, the car performs well either way.

Second, I think the TSX is geared a little lower than the TL, which would contribute to fuel economy also. It also makes the TSX quite spirited to drive in its 6 MT form. The AT version is geared a little taller, so may get slightly better fuel economy.

I believe for the '06 TSX's such features as Bluetooth wireless will be available. I think memory drivier seating will also be available. These are things that were only available previously on the TL. Thus, the gap between the two cars has been closed a bit. The TL will still have a superior sound system (5.1 DVD). Both cars have very nice interiors, and which is better is mostly a matter of opinion.

The TSX also gets a slight bump in HP for '06.

The TSX isn't that much smaller than the TL, you're right, but its quick steering, and tight chassis make it feel more nimble and tossable, thus giving the impression that it's smaller. So, while it may not be dimensionally that much smaller, it drives that way.

Bottom line, both are great cars, but the TSX may be a better value. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps. :)
    I saw the JD Power rating for the 2005 TSX and it's quite average, what gives? Actually, Acura was overall ranked quite average unless I'm missing something?

I love my TSX regardless but why the mediocre ratings?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    That's what average means. Not spectacular or exceptional but predictable and dependable. To me Acura's are like Michelin tires, not the very best but good enough for all situations.
    Comparing the TSX to TL, I would say since the 4-cylinder has to work so hard it may not be as durable as the V-6 in the TL. Furthermore, the quality of the leather in the TL is much better than in the TSX. However, neither is anything close to the supple and refined leather in the RL.
  • ji4ji4 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2005 TSX with Navigation, All Weather Mats, Wheel Locks, and Splash Guards for 27,700 .... The OTD price was 28,719... This was at Chevy Chase Acura... What are other people's buying experiences? Has anyone been able to do better in this area?
    However, neither is anything close to the supple and refined leather in the RL.

Neither is eithers MSRP.
    Hey mhasan, I've never placed a ton of stock in the JD Powers rankings. I'm assuming you're referring to the Initial Quality rankings, which reflects problems reported in the first 90 days of ownership.

I suppose it could be disconcerting that Acura has dropped, but the only experience I have is with my own TSX, and, except for one niggling problem, the car has been rock solid. That problem was the trunk release lever sticking in the locked position. It was repaired under warranty and, I believe, it was past the 90 day mark of my ownership.

Initial ratings are fine, but since all those problems would be repaired under warranty anyway, how much do they really tell us? I don't know.

I do know there was issues with rattles in earlier TSX's, so maybe that is part of the problem.

Mechanically (drivetrain, etc.) my car has been perfect. How about yours? Any issues?

:shades:
  • hi5kidhi5kid Member Posts: 12
    I want to thank everyone who have provided prices-paid data to this forum. It is invaluable information when preparing to buy a new car. And now it is my turn to help the next guy/gal.

After considering the Acura TL, Acura TSX, BMW 325i, and Infiniti G35, I selected a 2005 TSX AT nonNav in carbon gray with quatrz interior. I bought the car last week from Sunnyvale Acura:

$27,805 MSRP
    $25,399 Invoice

Purchase vehicle for $25,649 + doc fee +Tax + License. Doc fee was $45. I did not have a trade-in. Odometer reading was 4 miles. Car included full tank of gas and wheel locks. Did initial contact via internet for test drive and request dealer quote. The car arrived ~ 3 days and took possession the next day. It was the easiest car purchase I have ever made. No hassle and no surprises. Love the car. :)
    Congratulations on your new car!!

Seems like you did your homework, and got a great deal..

Stick around and check out our other TSX discussions...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Purchase vehicle for $25,649 + doc fee +Tax + License. Doc fee was $45... Did initial contact via internet for test drive and request dealer quote.... It was the easiest car purchase I have ever made. No hassle and no surprises

This is a very good deal indeed. I am very curious though, what was the dealer's original quote and your original offer and how much back and forth before settling on the final agreed price? Our Boston area dealer quoted us $26,300 but we did not counter offer as he low-balled us on the trade.
    Actually, there was no back and forth. I wanted to pay around dealer invoice and asked the internet manager for his best offer. He came back with invoice + $250. This was close to my expectations and accepted it. I was prepared to check with other dealers in the area but I did not think it would be worth the effort for saving a few dollars (based on the discussions on this forum). Here in the SF Bay Area, many of the car dealerships are owned under a single large corporation. So there is competition among car dealers up to a point. I would have to go to Los Angeles area to have a chance to get a TSX at or below invoice, but then there is the expense to go get the car. Also, I had to obtain a car quickly because my daughter needed my other car right away.

Anyway, this should be a good time to get a 2005 because the 2006s will be arriving around mid October. Check the inventory of dealers in your area and see what is available. The ones with the most cars on the lot will be motivated to sell them. Unfortunately, the TSXs come from Japan and seem to be in fewer numbers than the TL. One dealer in LA had 72 TLs and only ~5 TSXs in inventory. Also, nonNavs are fewer than Navs.

Good Luck.
    :shades:
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    hi5kid,

I know this might not be the right discussion but could you explain why you choose the TSX? I am in a very similar situation as you. I'm in the Bay Area and my 325i will come off a lease in 6 months and I am also looking at TL, TSX, 325i and G35.

Thanks.
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    Gas mileage, style, quality, value and not seeing myself on every other corner. I don't buy "common" cars. Common cars are very nice and a common because so. Also bang for the
    factor can't be beat. The three other cars you are looking at all cost at least $5K more. The TL is very nice but is too big for me and is also too common for me.
  • peaches63peaches63 Member Posts: 9
    When I read your response, I had to reply because I'm also in the market for a new car and initially I considered the TL, G35 and the new 2006 Passat. I'm in the Chicago area & test drove the TSX on Labor Day and I liked it. :D I began reading the TSX forums to educate myself more. So far, the TSX is in 1st place of being my next car because I don't know another vehicle that matches up to its "value" ;) I've narrowed it down to the TSX for the same exact reasons as you did--gas mileage, style, quality and it's not a "common" car. I prefer NOT to have a car that you see at every corner. I'm interested in purchasing a 2006 TSX within the next 6 months because I decided I'd rather buy towards the end of winter instead of the beginning of bad weather. :shades:
    asleepy,
    My decision to buy the TSX involved several factors. Actually I will need to replace another car soon, so I will be revisiting the performance sedan category again, which means the TL and 325i will be on my list (I may add the IS 250/350). The G35 just didn't excite me as much as the Acura or BMW.

I went with the TSX first because I wanted a car for daily around-town driving, and a car my wife and kids could drive. So gas mileage, nimble handling, and sporty size were key factors. The TSX has those qualities and is well built. Dealer pricing was favorable but probably could get a better deal percentagewise on a TL.

For the second car, I will want it to have a larger feel, especially for long distance travel, and a six cylinder engine. I decided to wait on this car because I would like to see if Acura will make an AWD version of the TL and maybe soften the ride a bit.. With regard to the newly redesigned 325i, I really like the car but was a little leary about buying one in its first year of production. So it was logical to wait and see how the 3 Series evolves and dealer pricing improves. Maybe next year, I will be going through this decision process again.

Lets us know what you decide.
    hi5kid :)
  • gkg680gkg680 Member Posts: 25
    Great minds think alike, I also test-drove a TSX on Labor Day, in Chicago. I've driven Saabs since 1983, because they're a good size car for heavy traffic and cramped city living. However, I need a change, and Saab is now a GM car.

My accountant is a smart guy, and he swears by his Acuras. Moreover, all my friends say that Japanese cars are extremely durable and reliable. I also like the front-wheel drive, especially in winter, even though it's hard on the tires. In addition, Saab service in Chicago is a problem, and I like the idea of being able to take a TSX to any Honda dealer for routine maintenance.

I am also torn between trying to pick up a 2005 now, or waiting for a 2006 with several enhancements. Please do post your thoughts when you buy. I find these forums invaluable, both in learning about the car, and also regarding which dealers are trustworthy.
  • spiveygbspiveygb Member Posts: 18
    I'm looking to buy non-navi TSX in NC. I've been given a couple of quotes in the ballpark of $600 over invoice + TTL + $350 doc fee. I'm just getting into this so the haggling on the price hasn't begun but I've seen other posts where the doc fee may be as low as
    $50. That's a far cry from $350. Is the doc fee something that they can massage similar to the purchase price of the car (i.e., we'll come down $100 on the doc fee but make it up on the price or vice versa). Also, what are your thoughts regarding $600 over invoice. In other parts of the country it seems people are getting better deals but anyone in this region with comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hey, thanks for the reply, your logic makes sense. I'm not too concerned with the rankings either, just wanted some feedback since I always thought Acura was above average in all aspects.

My TSX is doing great, it's about 3.5 weeks old now. Black on Black, Navi, 6 speed manual. I took it easy for the first 600 miles and now my engine purrs; the transmission seems great and I've had no other issues mechanically. I've never had a manual car before and practiced on others and am getting use to my TSX now. It's so fun to drive though, zips in and out of corners, handling is pretty confident, and the amenities are great. It's just hard to keep Black clean, have to hand wash it myself every weekend which I kind of enjoy. It's a new experience to have to look for the furthest, safest parking spot wherever I go.
    Sweet. Congrats on the car, and congrats on making the CORRECT choice by selecting the 6 MT :P The TSX and the 6 MT is a match made in heaven.

The TSX in black looks great, IMO, and yes it's a bit hard to keep clean, but what the hey. I'm like you, I enjoy detailing my car.

You picked a great car to learn the manual tranny with. You'll like it more and more as you drive it. Yours is pretty rare, with the 6 MT and the navi. You'll find the suspension becomes even more compliant in coming months.

Look at remote parking as an opportunity for exercise :D

Enjoy your car!
    The doc fee varies across the country from a low of $45 in CA to as high as $600 in some place in FL. All of it is negotiable.The doc fee seems to be regionalized, for example all VA side of DC dealers charge $249-299 for a doc fee while it's a pretty even $100 on the MD side.
    $600 over invoice is a pretty good deal - that should be just under $26K. The main thing to look for is the price before the required fees of TTL. What ever is left for 05s might be had for a good price. I've read that official 06 debut is Nov 9.
    I test drove both transmissions yesterday. While at the dealership the internet salesman mentioned that a couple of weeks ago they offered employee pricing on all their tsx's because they thought the '06's were due in at the beginning of Oct. I joked that he should have called me and I would have been ready to buy. He mentioned that there was maybe something that could still be done because they had received 3 more tsx's and that the manager's were pretty aggressive with moving units off the lot. My question is does anyone have any idea as to what employee pricing would be for this vehicle? What is the lowest reasonable offer I could open with without him thinking I was ridiculous? And finally, is this just a tactic on his part to move to the negotiating process? Thanks.
    Yes.... just a negotiating tactic..

Look up invoice here on Edmunds... start there, and hope to take it home within $500 of that amount...

Just my $0.02
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

does the $500 over invoice target include the infamous doc fee?
    Always consider a doc fee part of the price... So, $25,300 plus a $499 doc fee is really $25,800.....

So, $500 over invoice is everything except state mandated fees and sales taxes... Let them break it down however they want.. :)

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• liz12liz12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am looking at buying a automaticTSX without Navi in Chicago. Can you tell me how much you paid for yours and what was the name of the salesman that sold it to you.
  • tsxdavetsxdave Member Posts: 2
    $25750, includes $399 doc fee, wheel locks, trunk liner, mats

Tax and $21 reg fee added.

Nalley Acura in Atlanta (Marietta)
  • sd_acurasd_acura Member Posts: 2
    I bought the Acura TSX, 6MT, silver/gray from Sunnyvale Acura at $25,400 + Fees = $27,317 OTD today.
    The internet sales manager offered me this price over telephone and didn't want to go below the invoice. I would say the entire transaction was quite smooth, except for slight haggling/pushing by the finance guy to install an alarm. They have one more TSX w/NAV 6MT available if anyone is interested and the price is $27,200.
  • jfergusjfergus Member Posts: 30
    Alarm system? It already comes with a "Theft-deterrent system with electronic immobilizer". How did he push that one? "Sir, now that you've purchased this 'luxury car', I should tell you that the alarm system is woefully inadequate."

The name of the alarm he was peddling wasn't by chance "The Club", was it? Or was he trying to push a recovery system like Lo-Jack?
  • cota99cota99 Member Posts: 28
    I got a Silver 5AT 05 for $445 over invoice at Sierra Acura in Alhambra, CA. The $445 includes wheel locks, splash guards, a trunk tray, and a moonroof visor. The doc fee was $45. Is that a pretty good deal?
  • sd_acurasd_acura Member Posts: 2
    It was more like, "Sir, now that you have bought this vehicle, I must tell you that the thieves can easily bypass all the security features and steal your vehicle. But our $300 alarm can deter all of them"

It was some dealer/OEM alarm not LoJack.
  • rocktonrockton Member Posts: 1
    After shopping for a 2005 TSX automatic non-navi via the Acura dealers in Madison, WI and Brookfield (by Milwaukee), WI, and all of the Acura dealers in the Chicago suburbs, I ended up with a great deal ($25798 + TTL) at Muller's Woodfield Acura on Higgins Rd in Hoffman Estates. I e-mailed for a quote at 1:30 in the morning and my phone was ringing 8 hours later with a great price (and the color I was looking for - some dealers only had a few TSX's on the lot). I dealt only with the internet sales guy and my transaction couldn't have been smoother. No BS, no late price add-ons, and he was prompt and helpful in dealing with my lender. Couldn't be happier with this car. Considered the Volvo S40, BMW 3-series, glad I saw the light!
  • jkaye1jkaye1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a TSX AT w/ navi very soon (black with ebony interior ideally). I am a novice to car buying so need a lot of help, and it seems like there are a bunch of experts here.

Based on all the posts I poured over it seems like mid to upper 27s for the price of the car w/ navi (incl. destination and dock fee) is a good deal. Does this sound correct?

I am looking to buy soon since I looked at the 2006 model pictures and did not like the new style. The addition of an AUX input is a great new feature, but not enough to make me want that model, which is not as nice looking as the 2005 imo.

It seems that a lot of posters had great experiences getting a good hassle free deal using internet pricing (which I have never done). Questions;

A) Am I correct that mid to upper 27s is the deal I should be looking for for the 05 with Navi?

B) I have a trade in. In reading Edmunds they say to negotiate the trade in price totally separate from the deal on the car (to prevent the dealer form massaging numbers on one for the other). Is the correct approach to get internet quotes on the car (hopefully close to my 27 figure). When I send these emails requesting quotes, I do not mention that I have a trade-in (or what I am going to do with it). After receiving a good quote, Go into dealership. Then when at dealership, mention the trade in and attempt to get kbb price on trade in while keeping same price on new TSX. Is this how it works? Or does having a trade in mean I can not do internet pricing. Just a bit confused on the logistics of this

C) it is currrently 10/6/05 - how long do I have to get a 2005 before there is no more selection of the model I want in stock and it is all the new 2006s?

I appreciate any help I can get. Seems like there are some real pros posting here. thanks very much for any assistance.
  • fredandwilmafredandwilma Member Posts: 1
    Just want to thank the board for all the pricing posts. I purchased a 05 TSX non nav AT at Power Acura of Southbay for $25,170 plus TTL. Overall great car, it is replacing my 02 325i that was totaled :cry: . Not my fault :) . Hope it gives me as much fun as that car.

Thanks again
    A) should look for a price between $500-1000 above invoice.
    B) you got it mostly right, but as usual you'll get a better price if you sell privately and its likely CarMax will give you a better price than the dealer
    C) depends on inventory of each dealer, you'll likely to see a few 05s leftover when the 06s show up next month

Radley seems to have the best deals. End of Oct. might be the best time to pick up an 05.
    Biker4, you mentioned getting a better deal selling to CarMax than trading to a dealer. But how does one go about selling their used car to CarMax? For example, I live in the Boston area, would I have to drop the car off at a designated area for inspection or is that done by phone?

For those who have sold through CarMax, could you share your experience? It would be much appreciated.
    ----
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Others have talked about selling through CarMax in our discussion called Advice on selling your car. You might drop by there and ask for opinions.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stone19stone19 Member Posts: 28
    Pretty close to pulling the trigger on a black/black Auto Non Nav from Open Road - currently have the price at 25,625 + 300 doc fee. I told them I will take the car at $25,500 + doc and they won't move. I know it's a small amount of money but based on principle I won't budge - it's an 05 and with the 06's coming I feel 25,500 is what I should get the car for. We'll see I don't need it right away so we'll see whose got the stonger will.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,431
    I'd be more concerned with the $300 doc fee that they're charging in addition to the $125 that separates you and the dealer. That doc fee is pure profit.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kpang85kpang85 Member Posts: 1
    Do you think it's possible to get a TSX OTD for 27,000 in SoCal right now? I'm on a budget, and i can't spend over that amount.
  • ghyun82ghyun82 Member Posts: 1
    i just closed a deal for 26500 out the door including all fees and ttl. they broke it down as 25355 for the sold price, which is a dollar over listed invoice online. not a bad deal i think. it was 26500, but i added lojack so that boosted it up a lil, but thats not them making money on the car. that's a service i'm paying for extra to an outside contractor to install it.

oh yeah it's black on black 6 speed non nav.

i'm in northern va
  • tracijo67tracijo67 Member Posts: 1
    I am absolutely in love with the 2005 TSX, but there are only 3 Acura dealerships here in MN and none of them seem at all interested in selling this car at a fair price. The "best" quote I got for the TXS without navigation and with no "dealer-installed" options was $26585 (inclusive of destination charge). I tried to get the two other dealerships in a bidding war by disclosing that "best" price and asking if they could beat it. Both dealerships promptly called back to tell me that not only couldn't they beat it, they couldn't even match it (though one dealership rather underhandedly tried to imply that the other guys would try to foist some hail-damaged cars off on me).

I love this car and I want it so badly but I'm getting fed a line about how they just can't keep the 2005's on the lot anymore since they're preparing for the 2006's and, of course, EVERYONE wants the 2005 now (eye rolling). You'd assume that now would be the BEST time to buy, considering that they are preparing for the '06 models.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I crazy to believe that $26585 is too much to pay for the '05 model with no additional frills & no navigation system?