Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tropotropo Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the feedback. Since my son is a traveling sales person and drives around 20K miles a year, I would like to have a warranty that would cover the car for 120K miles. Does Acura offer extended warranty (bumper to bumper)? What should I expect to pay?
  • tornadogtornadog Member Posts: 102
    whats a good price to negotitate for the TSX Wagon with Tech Package. Also is there any difference between 2011 and 2012 models?
  • cberrytechcberrytech Member Posts: 20
    I'm not finding a lot of wiggle room on the wagon, tech or non. I asked for a quote on a 2011 tech early last week. The dealer has added $1000 in floor mats, window tint, splash guards, and wheel locks. MSRP with accessories was $36,570 and he was willing to sell it for $35,250. Uhh, pass. I know they add this junk right off the truck, so I'm having a hard time finding one without it.
    I am being quoted 34900 + dest+ttl for a 2012 wagon with tech package. This is just the initial internet quote, but what number should I shoot for? I have heard there's not much bargaining room here because of the lack of Acura dealerships nearby(Baton Rouge).
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    You have the quadruple whammy going against you for getting a great price.
    1. Wagons are in short supply and high demand.
    2. 2012 model year just came out.
    3. Sunami has created shortage of parts and subsequently supply of TSXs.
    4. Not much other Acura competition in your area.

All I'm saying is that don't assume that you're going to be able to get close to somebody's price in a large market with 4-5 Acura dealers bidding for business. Since everyone seems to be paying top dollar for the wagon, your deal probably isn't bad for your area.
  • ysnysn Member Posts: 1
    I would like to share the price I paid for 2011 TSX Premium (Non Tech).
    Dsicounted by 3K, and my final purchase price (including all) is 30,280.
    I paid 1K as downpayment and got 1.9% loan for 60 mos.

I wanted Black, but eneded up my 2nd choice Blue.
    I guess you are right. I will take a look and see what I can negotiate. I have 2010 Pilot EX that I am planning to trade in( have about 19.5K balance on it). If I can get a 32K price after tradein, I will go for it, otherwise I will just pass and wait for something else.
  • smartshopper15smartshopper15 Member Posts: 2
    I shopped for a month and I got the best deal for tsx and tl at ACURA of GLENDALE, bought it from the internet/fleet Manager there, he was a very honest straight forward guy. I was between Tl and tsx and on both models he gave the best deal including destination charge compared to center acura, acura 101, cerritos, and tustin.

Try them out hope I helped!

good luck
  • newbuyer32newbuyer32 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. Im in the market for a new 2011 TSX Base model since the 2012 models are out. Ive noticed most dealers are asking nearly the same price for both. Ive offered $28k which i honestly dont think is unreasonable when there is a newer model. Any suggestions from anyone that has made similar offers? Why pay for a pre-owned or a 2011 what you can actually pay for the most current model? I think it's sensible to make a deal and reduce inventory before the year ends.
  • jivarojivaro Member Posts: 13
    After visiting the Acura and Edmunds web sites, I do not see the 2012 TSX with technology available with a manual transmission. Am I correct in seeing this? I am surprised that this combination has been available for years, but not on the 2012. I have been driving a manual transmission for 40 years, love it and want to purchase a new car with manual. Do I have to eliminate the 2012 TSX as a possibility? I do want the Tech package.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Correct. 6MT TSX models were in very short supply and demand since the start, and for 2012 you can only get the 6MT with the new Special Edition TSX model. The Special Edition of course is a unique design package for the TSX base, and not available with Tech.

There will be no base or Tech 6MT cars for 2012.
  • jivarojivaro Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the bad news...........I guess I will have to look elsewhere, as Acura will now not meet my needs.
  • ginnysginnys Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, that Really sucks. You could get the special edition and add the nav yourself. Check the forums, the wiring is all in place.
  • erichamiltonerichamilton Member Posts: 1
    I just found out today that the 2012 tech package is not available with a manual. I have a glacier blue 2009 TSX with a stick and the technology package, planning to buy a new version. The Acura TSX was the best positioned car in the 30K range for a 6 speed manual - a great car and a great stick. The 2009 is virtually identical to the 2012 so I would probably change, but yes, it was disappointing to see that you could only get the stick with the sport package.
  • sunwindsunwind Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I'm not a fan of negotiating for a car, but like saving $$ too much. I want a new TSX, so I emailed and got a price for a 2012 TSX w Tech of 28700 plus TTL right off the bat (31,200 OTD).

Just wondering what should I ask for in exchange??

Thanks.
  • taxman10taxman10 Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2011
    Looking at a TSX wagon and dealer is offering 3% over invoice.
    I think this adds up to a 6% overall margin for dealer which seems pretty fat not considering supply /demand.
    I calculate a 7% margin over invoice and I think I see a 3% holdback based on MSRP.
    Can anyone confirm this for me?
    Thanks
  • how0425how0425 Member Posts: 3
    Sunwind,

Do you mind sharing where you are and which dealer are you talking to?
    I'm in Boston and the dealers in my area can only do tech sedan for $31.1k + t&tl. Thanks!
  • taxman10taxman10 Member Posts: 59
    I'm asking a question below about Holdback..If I'm right about there being 3 points below invoice on a TSX then your price of 28,700 is nearly 2,000 less than what I calculate to be the break even price on this car...I calc break even to be 29740 plus dest of 885 = 30,625 Before TTL...the deal seems too good to be true...I'd ask for a CARFAX and or take the salesman to dinner
  • zeuspilotzeuspilot Member Posts: 18
    According to the formula by taxman10, the break-even $ for a TSX wagon with Tech is 32316 (including destination charge).
    That looks a very optimistic goal to shoot for. I am thinking anything below invoice at this moment is a good deal; and to be able to arrive at the midway - 32802 (including destination charge) - is considered a great deal. My 2 cents. Any insights?
  • radar6radar6 Member Posts: 28
    I am going to be in the market for new car in the next month or so. I got a quote on 2012 Acura TSX with tech for 32,250. plus TTL. I looked at the TSX back just as 2011s were coming out. I was quoted on the average 2000 less than the price i was just quoted. Any one gotten a better price? I know the earth quake had an effect on supply. Seems like dealers are taking advantage of the earth quake. I like the TSX but I'm not willing to pay a premium price for one. Any help would be appreciated.
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    truecar gave me $31,660
    edited December 2011
    Just bought a 2012 TSX Wagon w/ Tech, black, 32806 + TTL
    Great deal IMO. Wife likes it very much.

Not quite sure how the tire repair kit will work out to replace a backup tire, anyone has experience?
  • awdbrooklineawdbrookline Member Posts: 1
    where did you buy your tsx wagon
  • dxxvidxxvi Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2011
    I was given this quote for a 2012 TSX without the technology package at the end of Nov 2011:

Sale Price $28,053
    NJ Sales Tax $1,963.71
    Reg (Est only) $407.20
    Tire Tax $7.50
    Doc Fee $259.00

Total Cost $ 30,690.41

What do you think of it?
    "Just bought a 2012 TSX Wagon w/ Tech, black, 32806 + TTL"

which state are you in please? And what does TTL mean? Sorry, I'm very new in this forum.
    Jacqui Perry just sent me an email:

2012 ACURA TSX Base

Sale Price $28,555.61
    NJ Sales Tax $1,998.89
    Motor Vehicle Fee $299
    Documentation Fee $189
    NJ Tire tax $7.50

Total: $31,050
    - $1,000 from us toward your down payment
    = $30,050 (amount to be financed; you can put more monies toward your downpayment if you wish to finance a lesser amount).

What do you think?
    Cincinnati, Superior Acura
    Cincinnati OH.
    TTL = Tax, Title, License
    car purchase price + TTL = OTD (out of door $)
    That's great deal - below dealer cost
    This is my story of buying that car in NJ in Nov, Dec 2011:

Acura of Denville gave me the OTD price of $30,7k. I brought that to Precision Acura in Princeton and they gave me $30,050 if I agreed to finance the car. I told that to Acura of Denville and they gave me a new price of $29,883 if I financed the car and the amount of money I paid monthly must be >= $150. DCH Acura said that they could do better with the price of $29,800 and I said I wouldn't buy from them because they were 20 miles further than Acura of Denville. Then they dropped the price to $29,600.

I read somewhere in some forum on edmunds.com and somebody said that the out the door price for an acura base model was between $29k and $30k depending on the state you live.
    edited December 2011
    I am wondering if u can apply the same strategy on a tsx wagon, and how low it can go...
    could you please try and let us know?
    LOL

I believe someone else will give it a shot then.

As another has said, the supply demand will play a significant role for wagon, since it is scarcely made. I saw only 2 during my hunting for one, while sedan is abundant.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Never, ever compare OTD pricing. Taxes, tag/registration fees, etc are hugely different between states and even cities (Philadelphia vs. suburbs tax, for instance). Only the actual pre-tax, pre-fee pricing.

In the case of New Jersey dealers, tax a look at the dealer document fees as well vs. surrounding areas.

Have you made a deal yet or are you still playing dealer games? What specific TSX are you looking to get, base or Tech and what color? What final realistic number are you trying to be at to stop shopping?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited December 2011
    to negotiate with different dealers in a given state, but not the way to compare dealer-to-dealer prices in different states. Sales tax and licensing rates vary a lot.

That said, the dreaded "doc fee" still needs to be taken into account. Best way to compare prices in different states is OTD less tax & plate. For example, Florida bends everyone over for a doc fee of around $600.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    To people who suggested not to compare the OTD prices:

I think I don't understand your opinion of not comparing the OTD prices. This is what I think: when I buy a car (or anything), what I want to know is the amount of money I have to spend at the end which is the OTD price in case of cars. The sale price at a dealer might be low but their documentary fee might be high or they are in a special area which requires some weird fee.

Have you made a deal yet or are you still playing dealer games?: yes, I have. I bought a base model TSX with a gray painting and taupe (I might be wrong here) leather. Actually, I don't care about the color. I told them to give me any color they don't like as long as the car is brand new and has no defect.

What final realistic number are you trying to be at to stop shopping?: I didn't have an exact number in my mind. When the price went down to $29,600, I thought it was ok.

By the way, if anybody is going to buy a base model tsx this month in NJ, I think you shouldn't pay more than $26.6k or you'll dream of the dealer laughing at you at night. If somebody gets the OTD price of < $29k in NJ, I'll be the guy seeing the dealer at night :)
    edited December 2011
    I think I don't understand your opinion of not comparing the OTD prices. This is what I think: when I buy a car (or anything), what I want to know is the amount of money I have to spend at the end which is the OTD price in case of cars.

If I said the OTD price on my new TSX was $27k would that give you a nice warm feeling? Well, there is no state sales tax in a couple of states so that would be a few thousand difference right. So what would an OTD price give you. In Chicago area there are big differences in sales tax between Chicago proper and suburbs. So an OTD price from a guy buying a car in Chicago would probabably be over a $1000 more than a guy buying it in the suburbs. If you went with the Chicago guys OTD price but bought in the suburb the dealer would smiling a big smile because he made a grand more off of you than the Chicago dealer did off his client.

Some states don't even have sales tax......OTD amount would be drastically lower than a car bought in Chicago with 10% tax. The main things that can be controlled by the dealer are the sales price of the car and the dealer or doc fee and in many states the doc fee is limited by law. So why would anyone care about the OTD price in these forums? Then you have to ask how much is your sales tax, how much are plates/title, how much is the doc fee. Then get out your calculator and back everything out to get to the two things that you really need to know in the first place.....the sales price and dealer fee!
  • minghiminghi Member Posts: 24
    Hi, $26.6k is infact a dream price on a base TSX. Which dealer in NJ would honor that price? Thank you
    If I said the OTD price on my new TSX was $27k would that give you a nice warm feeling?: yes, it would because I'll be glad if you can get a good price :)

Here, you compare the OTD prices at 2 different dealers with 2 different buyers. The dealer with a lower price in that case might not be a better one for everybody because for each individual buyer, there'll be differences in discounts, taxes ...

What I did is comparing the OTD prices of different dealers with the SAME buyer.
    It's not $26.6k, but $29.6 which will be honored by DCH Montclair Acura in NJ in this month, I think.
    You completely missed my point. But if you like OTD price when the vast majority of people in these forums don't, that is your perogative. Good luck on your shopping.
    That's not bad too. Is that the 2012 base automatic? I'm interested in the manual special edition but according to the inventory on their website, there aren't any available.. too bad :(
    I was just offered a 2012 tsx 6-spd manual special edition for $29.3k+NJ TTL OTD. Is this the best offer around?
  • steel11steel11 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my TSX 2011 w/Tech Package for $28000.00 plus tax. Price includes Doc and DMV NJ tire fees. I got my TSX from Ramsey Acura. I think it is a good price consediring MSRP is $33595
    wow, congratulations. That's a much better price ($28k * 1.07 = $29,960) than mine.
  • vsabia84vsabia84 Member Posts: 10
    My lease is up in May for my 2009 Acura TSX with tech package. I am considering financing/purchasing a new one and had gone to the dealership yesterday to see what my options are. Buying out my car is not worth it. Luckily, there is no buyback fee because of the condition of my car and the colors are desirable. Please help me determine if the offer I got is a good offer. I am new to this so not really sure what I am doing.

I am looking at the black/black 2012 tsx with tech package. The car is 33,795. He knocked it down to 32,000 and included $500 in my down payment. The interest rate is 1.9% and since I live in NY the taxes are 8.765. I am willing to put down $8,000 so technically it will be $8,500 bc of the $500 they are including in the down payment.

The car comes out to $26,552.50 (not including my down payment). For 60 months the payments come out to $464.24. I plan to add more to my payments monthly so I can pay it off sooner.

For those of you who know how to do the numbers, would you consider this a good deal? Please help!!
    edited January 2012
    $32,000 for a 2012 TSX with tech package? Even if he gave you $500 for the down payment, I think it's still expensive. The guy in the post #4908 bought a 2012 TSX with tech package for $28,000 (including all fees) + NJ tax.
    So how do I get them to lower the price?
  • sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    I beleive your price is good. Basically they selling it for $31,500. Truecar gives you $32K, used to be $31.6K last month. The rest is a simple math.

2012 TSX-tech for $28K does not look realistic to me, 2011 - maybe?
    Do you think I should try another dealership and say that the dealership i went to (the one who is giving it to me for $32,000) is giving me the car for $31,000 and see if they can do better?