Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    But why use three different cars for what ONE car can do???

Makes no sense to me..

From what I have seen so far, the Fusion is going to be more Sporty than the Milan will be.

Sharing the same cars basic cars is one of the reason Ford is in the mess its in now...
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    As been mentioned in other board, offering different versions of the same vehicle attract different customers. There's actually people who like the Explorer, but do not wish to be seen in a vehicle, that when you approach the stoplight, there's 5-10 other copies of it around you as well. Hence, they have the choice to choose a Mercury Mountaineer.

The days of 400K units for a single vehicle, or going away. Only 5 cars will be able to keep that momentum, therefore there's more differentiating of the same vehicle.

The Mercury buyer, is different than the Ford buyer, different than the Mazda buyer. Offering a vehicle with different appeal, at minimal costs, always helps. Like I tell some of my friends "if you like the Escape, but want a longer warranty and something different, get the Tribute"...

People are wanting to buy vehicles that are a bit different, without being too radical either, so doesn't hurt to offer it either.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The real answer is that the dealer lobby is very powerful, each of them wants a version to sell.

-juice
    that's what I was think too Juice.

LOL
  • fbcjrfbcjr Member Posts: 19
    No, the real answer is that someone like me would not buy a Fusion, but would buy a Zephyr. Lincoln has put time and energy into extra sound deadening materials and such to reduce NVH in the Zephyr, which isn't available in the Fusion. I also want THX sound, nav, etc. I'm will to pay extra for those things. Why not just put that stuff in the Fusion, you might ask? Because I don't want to pay extra and look like I didn't. In other words, if I'm paying $35,000 for a car, I don't want the guy next to me at the stoplight that paid $23,000 to be driving something that looks exactly the same. It's an image thing. Not to mention, I think there is as much difference in appearance between the Zephyr and Fusion as there is between the Accord and TL.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "I think there is as much difference in appearance between the Zephyr and Fusion as there is between the Accord and TL."

Are you really serious with that?

~alpha
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Ah, image. I don't need a car to tell me (or anyone else) my net worth. Since most of the show-offs have lots of debt and low net worths, when I see someone with show-off goods, it tells me that they are probably way in debt and have little or no wealth. But, to each his own. Although I do not think that any version of the car (Zephyr/Fusion/Milan) will really catch the attention of criminals or trouble makers, I would prefer not to be seen in something which stands out.

Now, the car companies are trying to differentiate by brand, while still giving dealers a range from less expensive to more expensive within each model.

But, that is much les choice than in the old days. For example, consider Chevrolet in 1956. They had the one car, available in everything from the stripped 150, to the middle version 210, to the fancy Bel-Air. Oldsmobile, Buick, and Pontiac also sold versions of the car, with a range of versions within each brand.

Chevrolet offered 10 solid exterior colors, 14 two-tone exteriors, and 39 different interiors. Wouldn't it be nice if we had more interior and exterior choices now?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    One area where Ford could give lessons is light truck design. The F-150 comes in 5 trim levels with three cab styles, 4 bed styles and 4 engine / transmission combinations.

Each trim level has a unique interior and exterior look.

XL this is your bare bones work truck starting just under 20k
    STX Sporty but attainable at around 23k. No power accessories but does have alloys and CD and is available in reg and super cab

XLT Bread and butter truck. Power windows mirrors and locks. Available in 3 cab sizes and with 4 different beds. Chrome bummer and honey comb grille are trade marks.

FX-4 High End sport truck rugged off road ready exterior, sport gauges inside. with available flow through counsel shifter, the first in a full size pick up.

Lariat/King Ranch The success truck for the executive or contractor that doesn't want to leave his roots. King Ranch incidently has leather of the type of quality you would expect in a very high end luxury brand such as Rolls or Bentley.

Now there is the Lincoln LT. This is the truck for someone who JUST CANT HAVE A FORD SEEN IN MY DRIVEWAY, WHAT WILL THE NEIGHBORS THINK

Not to be sexist but I have seen more than one sale where the hubby loved the truck or suv but the wife was all against it for no other reason than she did not want a Ford parked in her drive way. Maybe they lived on Wisteria Lane.

Mark
    It's not nearly as differentiated as the TL, and that's also why I don't think they will get too many (if any) customers to pay $35k as a real-world transaction price. They'll be lucky to get $30k.

I suspect most Fusions will sell in the low 20s and most Zephyrs in the high 20s, with Mercury right in the middle.

-juice
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    The Honda has halogens, but the Nissan has HID/xenon and honda, nissan and toyota all offer navigation systems.

Ford needs these features. Other than that, i think with the new engine this car should do well. Has anyone compared it back to back with the foreign competition? Its hard to believe that just 10 short years ago, Our cars were bigger and now it seems to be the other way around.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Uh... the TL is an Accord.
    Except that its much less an Accord than the Zephyr is a Fusion, and it looks about 100% different as well.

Oh, and the interiors are nothing alike.

~alpha
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    I meant that literally, not figuratively. The Acura TSX is sold in Europe as the Honda Accord. It's the exact same car.

Personally, I have no problem with badge engineering. It's not like Ford is trying to hide something. The exterior styling on these cars is different enough to be distinctive. I can't see myself ever mistaking a Fusion for a Milan - or a Mazda 6 for that matter. I do mistake TSXs for TLs, however. Could two different models look any more alike? I have to keep reminding myself: TLs have ridges - TSXs don't.

The Fusion and Milan do share a dash, but I don't find it offensive. And what's the difference? If they only sold this car under the Fusion nameplate, it would have only 1 dash too. You're on both sides of the argument if you say Ford should only have one midsize based on the 6 and that they don't offer enough variety at the same time.
    This is your comment:

"Uh... the TL is an Accord."

So even if you meant literally that the TSX is an Accord (which I would completely agree with b/c its true), you didnt state anything about that model. The TL is VERY different from any Accord. So I guess part of our discussion on brand management and the Fusion/Zephyr in comparison to others would go more smoothly if you stated the models you actually meant.

;)

~alpha
    TL is based on the Accord, but has a completely different powertrain (engine and tranny) and interior. They only share a basic platform, but they're very distinguished. This is not to mention brakes, wheels, differentials...there are more differences than there are similarities.

By that logic an Audi TT is a Golf, but it's not...not even close.

Similarly, let's hope the Zephyr is more than a Fusion with HIDs.

-juice
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Wait, isn't the Audi TT based on the Beetle, not the Golf? The TT sure looks like a Beetle with a lower roof.

The Zephyr probably will have more than HIDs. It will have navigation system, THX sound system, woodtrim/upscale interior, classy styling (depending on your tastes) and power and heated/cool front seats. That's pretty good differentiation for me, except a slightly stronger engine would be nice.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Beetle is based on Golf. New Passat is based on Golf.

Is Continental different from Ford Taurus? I am asking this because it is based on Taurus.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Conti and Windstar (now Freestar) uses a Taurus/Sable platform. Conti is dead, Taurus/Sable die at the end of this year, and Freestar will die as a result as well. It was a very good platform overall, and quite robust, although it's dimensions were a bit "big", for the robustness supplied. (same issue as with the previous Tbird/Cougar/Mark8....great highly sophisticated platform, but it left meager interior dimensions for it's huge exterior dimensions.
    Ford has three versions of the same car that are basically the same exterior wise.

They will probably all be within the same lenghts as each other, they will probably be the same size interior-wise, etc. etc.

That's not the case at all with the Accord, TL and TSX.

Each car has its own styling, inside and outside (look at the interiors, they all are different) and each car has its own styling.

The TSX is basically the European Accord which shares it platform with the U.S. Accord and Honda Aspire. The TSX and Aspire have the same interior.

The Accord is longer than BOTH the TSX and TL and has more interior room.

The Acura TL is smaller dimensions wise overall from the Accord.

The TL, as someone mentioned has its own 3.2L V6, while the Accord has the 2.4 for 160 and 3.0 for 240. And finally, the TSX gets a re-worked version of the 2.4 for 200 horsepower.

See how much of a difference these cars have on each other.

I like how someone states that the TL is the Accord.
    Checked platforms lately?

Aren't the TL, TSX, Accord, Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline and RL all built off basically the same platform?

I don't mind platform sharing at all, as long as the cars a different from each other in significant ways.

Same thing with Nissan. My Altima's platform is the basis for the Maxima, Murano, Quest. And each car has the VQ motor in common. Heck, all Nissan V6s use a variation of the VQ motor, 3.5 for the cars, 4.0 for the Pathy and Xterra.

That's not a problem for me because only the Maxima and Altima look similar to each other. And even then, they are more different from each other than the Ford Triplets.

I mean, I understand that to some of you this really doesn't matter. But to a lot of folks it obviously does. Look at past data and you'll see what I am talking about.

The Ford versions of all these twins/triplets always tends to be the better seller. The Mecury version usually doesn't sale great at al.

The Taurus for example is a MUCH better seller than the Sable, especially before the Taurus became the fleet queen of America.

The Crown Vic sales better than the Grand Marquis.

And the Escape hands the Mariner its tail (though I do like the Mariner better)

Don't even get me started on the Montery/Freestar disasters.

My point is that when folks see the $33K plus Zephyr, then look right down the street and see the $21K Fusion, they'll wonder why they should have to pay that much for a car that looks so much like the Fusion. The cars have way more in common that the TL and Accors of the world. Heck the PREVIOUS generation of the TL and Accord look more different from each other than these three cars do.

I see it like this, the Fusion will be a HUGE success if Ford plays its cards right..the Milan will be okay, but the Zephyr will go the way of the Thunderbird, Blackwood, Cougar (last gen), and current LS.

For some folks, it having a platinum grille and nices chromies will work, but for the majority of the car buying market, they'll look at the TLs, Chrysler 300s, Lexus ES330s and other cars of this market. Heck, I think the Caddy CTS will get more play than this car will.

And that's without even looking at the Zephyr's lack of power 250 plus V6 engines, and thus far the interior appears to me to be a retro-wanna be that comes off looking cheap. Can't comment on the materials but from the pics it looks cheap looking.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Grand Marquis outsells Crown Victoria, whether or not you include fleet sales. I bet that if you were to exclude fleet, GM outsells the CV by about two to one...You almost never see a relatively new model nontaxi, nonlawenforcement CV any more...but GM's are everywhere, especially in Florida.

The GM is a much nicer vehicle for its target market than the retail CV is. And yet, on the outside, they look virtually the same.

Interestingly, Mercury dealers LOVE selling GM's whereas most Ford dealers, in my experience, would rather move you on to something else...like an Explorer.

You might find the table at the end of this page interesting:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/products/lane.chargerchicago15feb05.htm

Why is all this relevant to the Fusion/Milan? I think LincolnMercury dealers will have a strong incentive to sell either a Milan or a Zephyr, and they will make a lot more money selling the latter.

And I saw the interior of the Zephyr at the New York Auto Show. Granted, it was not a production model, but what I did see in no way screamed cheap.
    I was including fleet sales BTW??

I could have sworn the Crown Vic was the better seller to the police, etc.

I guess I was wrong on that, but that's the ONLY one...

Ummm..we'll have to disagree on the interior of the Zephyr but for me, looking at that interior, and then turing around and looking at the ES330, TL and even the G35 make the Zephyr appear cheap to me.

I'll have to see it in person before I can make a final decision for myself.

What I found most interesting about that article is that Ford supposedly had to cut the pricing of the Five Hundred by $5K to compete with it.

My goodness...I can't imagine the base price of the Five Hundred being in the $28K range.
    Funny, but to me the ES330 looks almost just like the Camry (interior and exterior, the differences are minor), and the TL looks very similar to the Accord, again with minor differences, but the same overall theme and style. Inside or outside, you instantly know which is a Toyota and which is a Honda product. The same is true, but to a lesser extent, with the Nissan products, as the Infiniti cars are rear / all wheel drive and the Nissans cars are front wheel drive.

John also makes a very good point. While potential Altima, Accord, and Camry buyers (most of whom buy the four cylinder versions) will probably only look at the Fusion, the baby boomers and retirees will be more likely to want something like the Milan or Zephyr. I think that is why Ford went with the silly head and tail lights on the Fusion. They know that such things will be a negative for many buyers who are over 40, but so what, they have other versions of the car for those buyers. Having mutliple versions is very good, but having multiple brands is the thing I question. If Ford has based the decision to keep the multiple brands based on hard data, not just GM-style intertia, then they are doing the right thing.

The entire Ford / Mercury / Lincoln car product line is rapidly expanding just as rising fuel prices are helping to lessen demands for SUVs, so for people who enjoy cars, 2005 to 2010 is shaping up to be be a very interesting period.
    The interiors of the Camry and ES are nothing alike, though I can see your point on the exteriors.

"John also makes a very good point. While potential Altima, Accord, and Camry buyers (most of whom buy the four cylinder versions) will probably only look at the Fusion, the baby boomers and retirees will be more likely to want something like the Milan or Zephyr."

That makes a huge and incorrect assumption that baby boomers arent buying Altimas, Accords, and Camrys- the mean age of Accord and Camry drivers is in the 50s. For both of those models, the rate of V6 sales is around 20-25%, actually higher than in past generations, and that might go up slightly next year as the Accord LX V6 gains a whole slew of good features as standard. Just FWIW.

"The same is true, but to a lesser extent, with the Nissan products, as the Infiniti cars are rear / all wheel drive and the Nissans cars are front wheel drive." There is a correlation between drive wheels and styling? Subarus are immediately distinct because all of them are AWD? I dont follow.

~alpha
    Regarding the Nissan and Infiniti products: Yes, the drive configuration affects styling, since the engine hangs in front of the front wheels on front wheel drive cars, so the front wheels are further back from the front of the car. The fact that the Nissan models and the Infiniti models are completely different platforms also is significant.

From my observations in southern California, Accord and Camry buyers may average 50, but definitely not Altima buyers. Since the Fusion has some Altima-like styling with the lights, it seems Ford is aiming it more to the younger buyers.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    For me they look like the same car, but for Max you pay huge extra cash. Interiors are identical, exterior is different (Max is just uglier), but so are Ford triplets. At least Fords are more elegant than Nissans.

One complain I have about Mercury – they should make interior plusher than Ford. And engines should be more powerful, more sophisticated. Differentiation in style alone is not enough.
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    Ford to race Fusion in NASCAR

July 15, 2005

Ford Motor Co. will base its NASCAR race car starting next year on the new Ford Fusion sedan in an attempt to use the popularity of the racing series to bolster sales of the model. The Fusion race car will debut at the 2006 Daytona 500 in February, Marty Collins, Ford Division general marketing manager, said at a briefing Thursday near Charlotte, N.C. The Fusion is one of three midsize sedans that Ford is introducing around Oct. 1. Ford expects to sell about 150,000 Fusions in the car's first full year and about 160,000 annually after that, spokesman David Reuter said.
    They look the same but only with "Minor" as you say them differences?

Ummm...ok

2004 Toyota Camry XLE vs. Lexus ES330...

Front
    Camry XLE

Lexus ES330

Sides:
    Camry XLE:

Lexus ES330:

Back

Camry XLE

Lexus ES330

Interior

They may look similar, but they are more different from each other than the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr twins...
    Until I saw those photos, I didn't realize just HOW much they look just alike, to me only the interiors are even remotely different enough to justify ANY premium for the Lexus. Then again, I can about guarantee they don't drive even remotely the same.

To me, the cost difference between Zephyr and Fusion/Milan will either be worth it or not...and I can't judge that til I do two things, both important, almost equally:

* Sit in the cars.

* Drive the beasts. This is where my decision will lie...and the other factor to me is to also compare the Five Hundred AWD 3.5 at the time to the 3.5 AWD Zephyr and/or Fusion/Milan. I will also have to ponder the pluses/minuses of car size and relative safety as I ponder...Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for Ford, both AWD and 3.5 are some time down the road for Zephyr and Fusion/Milan, and, for that matter, the 3.5 is down the road for the Five Hundred. If it were now or very soon, I know a Five Hundred which would soon be traded for another Ford...almost for sure.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Until I saw those photos, I didn't realize just HOW much they look just alike

I gotta agree with you on that. Toyotas and Lexi are not cars I pay any attention to, so I had knowlege of how alike these look until the pictures purporting to show how different :confuse: they are were posted .

Front and back are almost identical, except for the same sort of differences that are in Fusion/Milan...lights and grill.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I think manufacturers count on the average person not paying close attention. They can make large profits buy charging more for the name. Nothing about the ES300 makes it worth the cost increase in my eyes. Ford does this with Lincoln and GM does this with Caddy An Escalade is worth no more than a Yukon in my eyes

This is off the subject but do you see the similarity">
    .imagehttp://www.kfz.de/bildergalerie/opel/vectra/opel-vectra-1.jpg
    I have to even admit myself...

After looking at the pics this morning, they favor more than I even thought they did.

But they are still more different from each other than the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr twins.

Actually, if you take a close look, you'll notice that the dimension and some of the cut lines in the roof, door panels, the bumpers, and front are different.

I started to post all the different variations of the Accord/TSX/TL but I figured it would get to long-winded and too heckic.

The Trplet twins are one car that share everything completely except changes in the front and back.

The ES330/Camry aren't that exact same way. They favor in terms of styling (UGLY UGLY UGLY) but they are different. The ES330 is longer, and slightly wider and it gets its own roof line and its own door shapes.

The Maxima/Altima are even farther apart from one another, especially interior wise. I drive an Altima I do believe that for 05, the Altima actually has a better interior than the Max does...
    The Zephyr will have thicker door glass, more insulation and different driving dynamics. Just as I suspect the Lexus and the Toyota drive and sound far different from each other.

Looks ain't everything, but they do matter.

Witness the Ford Five Hundred vs. The Chrysler 300, for example....

I do totally agree that the Milan and Fusion (and Zephyr, for that matter) would greatly benefit if they didn't look so much alike...
    John beat me to saying it, but the photos really prove my point, and I agree with John that the interiors are more different than the exteriors, but less so when sitting in them than when looking at photos.
  • jj1980jj1980 Member Posts: 4
    The Lincoln interior does not look much like the Fusion interior to me.

different hoods, different front fenders, different rear fenders, different front bumpers, different rear bumpers, different lights,......... turn signals, deck lids, rear bumpers, tail lights, relectors, different color lights, mirrors, fog lights, and so on and so on and so on.....

Even when painted the same color, these two cars do not look alike. Maybe because that's because they are not.

Try this game, which one of these is a Lexus?

Er, the one that is the subject of THIS forum, the Fusion?

Would that be the one?
    Errr, the subject of this board for the past 50 posts seems to be how the Fusion and Zephyr look "almost identical," eventhough that is clearly not true, even to the most casual observer.

This board has also been comparing and providing photos of other makes (Acura/Honda and Lexus/Toyota, GM) and I believe the pictures of the Lexus LS and Toyota above provides a great illustration of what would fit the definition of "almost identical".
    I was speaking of the Toyota Camry and Lexus ES interiors, but since you posted pictures of the Fusion/Milan and Zephyr interiors, they do look different in some ways and much the same in others. They have essentially the same hand-operated parking brake, console and shifter, same steering wheel with slightly different decorations, same pillars, and same radio and HVAC controls in the same places. The seat covers, dashboard, and door trim are different.
    Too bad that you omitted the Milan, as I like it the best of the three. Also, Toyota does sell many of both the Camry and the very similar, but more expensive ES, so that would indicate that Ford is following a profitable path, and that they are superior to Toyota, since they have the third version of the car, the Milan, while Toyota only has two versions (Lexus and Toyota) of the various paltform-mates they sell.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Member Posts: 84
    I'd like to see greatly differentiated Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns much as the next guy, but the fact remains that this is a company under extreme financial stress right now. Further differentiating the F/M/Z cars would have cost more money, and would have taken more time, which means dealers would be waiting longer for new product. I think all things considered Ford made the right move, but I'm hoping the next generation of these cars sees them develop more distinct personalities. Let's also remember that, as I think ANT once pointed out, Mercury's top sales days were when their whole lineup was nothing but rebadged Fords. We car buffs might not like it, but people buy into badge engineering all the time.
    I find it funny that you state they don't look alike...

Especially when I have said time and time again that the fronts and backs are DISTINCTLY different between the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr twins...

But you didn't post pictures of the sides..which they ALL Share EXACTLY to the TEE

That's been my point all along.

They are different from the fronts and backs...just like how a Taurus and Sable are.

But they are the EXACT same from the sides.

Post some pictures of the cars from the side, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

You "left" those out though :P

And like I said, the Camry and ES330 look similar, but they aren't the EXACT same from the sides.

And the TSX/TL/Accord are even more different.

Prediction:
    Fusion will sale great, Milan will sale okay, Zephyr will FLOP.
    And futhermore, I have always stated that the Zephyr has a different interior than the other two cars.

But I still think its cheap looking. Espeically compared to the Acura TSX and TL.

I actually find the Fusion's interior more pleasing to my eyes, seriously.

Lincoln wants to attract younger buyers with that mess of a dashboard?!?!?

Also, I'd like to Thank you for posting pics of the Japanese Versions of Toyotas.

As you might know, in Japan there is NO Lexus. Its all Toyota.

Do you think Toyota would build Luxury cars ONLY for the U.S. market?

No, it makes sense to sell them over there as well. The Japanese just don't get caught up in "Brand image" the way us American's do.

Those Lexus models aren't sold over here as Toyota's either.

Futhermore, we could go a little bit deeper with this.

Considering the Avalon rides on the Camry platfrom too...and they look NOTHING alike either.

I'll stick with my statement. Ford has got to do more with the Lincoln brand then what they are doing.

These rebadges haven't helped in the past, and they probably won't help in the future either.
    Outside...

Interior's..this is where the Zephyr is most dramatically different (as I stated in the first place, but it looks CHEAP compared to even the Fusion/Milan, much less the TL, ES330 that it will be competeing against..)
    Acura TL/TSX/TL

Interiors: These interiors make the Fusion/Milan and ESPECIALLY Zephyr appear cheap looking...
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Please dont criticize the Fusion/Zephyr's interiors, especially when you probably haven't been in one. Give them a chance at least, pictures dont tell the whole story. In some cases they do - look at a Chevrolet interior and it screams cheap.

I dont see how the Accord interior is in any way better/worse than the Fusion. Sure, the only thing the Accord has that the Fusion doesn't is navigation, but it'll probably make its way in 2007/2008.

And please - what is so wrong with the Zephyr's dash? It's not as conventional as a TL/ES330, but it's just a little unique in it's colors, and woodgrain. I dont see how the Zephyr lags behind its competition. It's not a mess - just different.

In post 1569, you mentioned the Zephyr will flop. Why? It's got a low base price, and a loaded one is only 35K. Much of the competition is much higher. As for horsepower, 221 isn't bad, just midpack. It also has navigation, THX sound and some other features. I doubt Lincoln will have trouble attracting younger buyers, because of the low price.

The only one that will flop is the Milan, because it's only a dressed up Fusion.

When the new cars come out, I hope you test drive one and hopefully you'll change your mind. ;)
    I spent a good amount of time in the Milan interior at the Mercury Rolling Showroom event, and I would 100% echo that which maxamillion has stated. Its not a very impressive place to be, the hard-touch plastics of the dash leave a lot to be desired in tactile quality, the ambitious use of metallic plastic everywhere is distracting, and the instrumentation is diminutive and gaudy, nothing like the classy electroluminescent gages on vehicles like the TSX, TL, ES.... or heck, even the 16K Corolla. Too bad, the vehicle's exterior is as close to eye candy as it comes in this segment (save the wretched taillamps).

~alpha
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    If you look closely at the side profiles of the Milan and the Fusion, you can clearly see that the crease in the Fusion is BELOW the door handles and in the Milan is above the door handles.

:P to all you who told me I didn't know what I was talking about.

Incidently, I read an article where the president of Toyota said they want a million units a year out of a platform to consider it viable.

Mark
    Not really fair, you'd have to add the Avalon since Ford has THREE not two twins on that platform, and the Avalon looks nothing like the other two.

The Zephyr looks a little different, but the Milan and Fusion are basically twins.

-juice
    But I have been in a Fusion.

It was better than any Ford to date, but that's not really saying much.

As far as competiton. After being in that Fusion for a considerable amount of time (at the Autoshow), I have got to say that it DOES beat the current Malibu, Galant, and Sebring/Stratus twins.

But I thought the new Sonata, Altima, Accord, Camry, Passat and even the Mazda6 had better designs and better interior materials.

Those materials were hard to the touch, and the overall design is BLAH.

No style whatsoever. Everything is stacked on top of everything. Its about as plain as vanilla ice cream (or the exterior designs of the Accord/Camry)

Interior design and materials have been a rough spot for the domestics. At least GM is trying to make it right with the new interiors they are making (New Impala, LuCerne, DTS, etc.) but the Fusion's interior is lacking IMO.

As far as the Zephyr, lower than its competition @ 35K???

Saywhaat???

I think NOT. You can get an Acura TL (LOADED), an Infiniti G35 sedan and a Lexus ES330 for similar or even LOWER prices.

But I am sure the Zephyr will get its share of rebates in time.

The Fusion is the best looking of the three to me thus far.

Ummm...a crease you say? They still share the exact SAME greenhouse (Zephyr almost does, except toward the back of the rear door, the crease is a little different.

Otherwise, the cars are thee exact same. Inside/Outside (Fusion/Milan) that is...

The Zephyr has its own unique (albeit cheap looking) interior.

Spray painted buttons on a dash board with a silver looking trim all over the place doesn't scream elegance to me.

I could see the use of metal trim in some places, but when it covers the majority of the radio/climate areas that comes off as looking cheap.

The design is plain ole BLAH, and it's not a design that goes well with the techno-crazy of today's cars. It looks cheap looking and that bright wood trim doesn't help at bit.

It's trying too hard to be retro, but it comes off looking cheap. I'd give the Mustang a higher rating...

This doesn't....

Doesn't look better design-wise than this?

Ooooookay.

Now, the Fusion has the better exterior (most definately compared to the Accord/Camry, but the interior is lacking IMO.)

And its even more apparent in Zephyr trims...