Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Saw the Motorweek quickie, they didn't go into any depth so it wasn't anything I didn't already know. So far they like it.

NAV - portable units like mine are suctioned to the glass and won't come flying off in a crash. They're light and very difficult to remove even when you pop off the little retainer. It's not going anywhere, and you could bolt it down if you really wanted to.

The screen is small, 3.5" on my Gramin Street Pilot c320, but voice commands make up for that somewhat. Also, I paid $404 delivered. Even with a big SC card it came it an under $500, about a quarter of what built-in units cost. And I can use it in all 3 of my cars, in fact I have already. Plus I can program address in my home, not in my driveway.

It's also easier to get updates. Accuracy is great. I do worry about it being stolen, in some places, but these have become a great value for the price.

-juice
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You said in part:

The only thing that concerns me is that the SEL is only way to get the 225/50x17 Michelin tires ( 6 AND 4 cylinder ). The S and SE only have 205/60x16 Continental tires.

I agree on tire width, but still like the smaller wheels - I still believe in having more tire depth to deal with potholes etc. I run 205's on my Focus and find them barely adequate on a car which is much smaller and lighter than the Fusion (look what VW puts on their Golf GTi's, for example, wider than the Fusion). Putting 205 width tires on a 3200-3300 pound vehicle with sporting aspirations is a disservice to the expected customer base.

On the other hand, I'd like to see 16 inch remain as the "standard" size, just upsize it to 225 width to give some killer traction.

All this may not be that important to enthusiast drivers. In the many cars I have purchased since 2000, changing tires is one of the first essential upgrades. In my experience, most factory tires are second rate; for example, I would probably want to run Michelin Pilot Exalto AS tires, or Bridgestone 950's, or Turanza LSH on a new car like the Fusion, with its reportedly fine suspension (these are all inexpensive tires, BTW).

If you do want the 17" factory alloys, so many buyers these days go to aftermarket 18" or bigger wheels that you can usually find mint condition take-offs on Ebay. Tire Rack even offers factory wheels at great prices if you want them. Keep in mind that factory alloys aren't the lightest wheels going.

We are going to have to see what's available aftermarket for the Fusion. I only hope they chose a wheel and tire size that has a lot of plus-zero applications.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    The transmission continues to be an issue. D and L only. Every review I've read makes comment about it.
    Even the new Civic, despite not being a fancy Steptronic-type manumatic, has D with overdrive, D3, 2 and 1 as separate gear selections.
    The Fusion should at the very least, have an overdrive lockout to prevent gear- hunting on grades.
    Even the ancient-design Taurus has more transmission shift control than this new Fusion.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The GM/Ford Joint Venture Transmission will replace the Aisin transmission that comes with the six cylinder models in about a year. It will not have just D and L.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Any indication that this is as high as the Five Hundred?
    That is my attraction to the Five Hundred.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    It is lower than the Five Hundred's, but at least it doesn't feel like your sitting on the floor. You'll really have to try it yourself, but I prefer the higher seating in the Five Hundred, espcially on those days when I have to get in and out of the car alot.
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Thanks. There are many things I like about the fusion, especially the looks.
    The HP to weight ratio (V6) is much better than the Five Hundred.
    I have real problems getting out of my wife's 98 Altima.
    I have a 2002 Windstar. Easy in & easy out.
    I will probably try sitting in the fusion but will probably wait for the 3.5 liter V6 in the Five Hundred.
    If you like that try an Outback, they're significantly elevated also. 5" higher than a Legacy.

-juice
  • tmp888tmp888 Member Posts: 20
    The reason to have only D, L and overdrive cancel switch is provide space for other thing like cup holder, etc. When you put in L, the trans will shift from 1-2-3 for 5 speed trans and from 1-2-3-4 for 6-speed trans (top 2 gears are prohibited when in L).
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    I was at a Ford dealership here in Texas tonight when I stumbled across a light green Mercury Milan with Michigan plates parked in a fenced-in holding area in back of the dealership. (Obviously not meant to be viewed.) Couldn't get any closer than a few feet away, but all I can say is WOW! Pictures do not do this car justice. From a side view it looks very BMW-ish. I was most impressed. This car should light-up sales at Mercury.
    The biggest complaint is that there is NO overdrive cancel switch either. This gives you a great lack of control unless you want the too-severe multi-gear downshift from 6th to 4th with the V6 or 5th to 3rd with the 4 cylinder models while driving on a mildly hilly grade.
    Reviewers also complained that the Fusion often shifted at inopportune times, such as in the middle of turns.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    The Outback rides higher than the Legacy for additional ground clearance and suspension travel. The Five Hundred really doesnt have more than the usual passenger car ground clearance, the additional height is inside the passenger cabin, the seats themselves are higher off the vehicles floor, closer to chair height so the effect is different, you may sit higher off the ground in an Outback, but the Five Hundred has you sitting higher off the vehicle's floor. The effect on your hips and knees is noticably different.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    The biggest complaint is that there is NO overdrive cancel switch either. This gives you a great lack of control unless you want the too-severe multi-gear downshift from 6th to 4th with the V6 or 5th to 3rd with the 4 cylinder models while driving on a mildly hilly grade.
    Reviewers also complained that the Fusion often shifted at inopportune times, such as in the middle of turns.

Is it just me or does this ongoing discussion on the topic of manually shifting automatic transmissions seem a bit Twilight Zonish? I always thought the whole point of going with an auto was to avoid shifting. The transmission does it automatically. Am I missing something?

If real control is the desire, I'd like to remind folks that all trim levels of BOTH the Milan and Fusion are available with the manual transmission. Speaking of the former, I saw an ad in this month's Stuff magazine (men's interest) for the Milan and it actually featured a young couple driving a stickshift model. Wow! I can't believe

1. Ford was advertising in Stuff.
    2. Ford was advertising a Mercury in Stuff.
    3. Ford was advertising a Mercury with a manual tranny in Stuff.

Times they are a-changin'. I sure hope this signals the dawn of a new day at Ford. Someone must have told management that people under 40 buy new cars too.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I always thought the whole point of going with an auto was to avoid shifting. The transmission does it automatically. Am I missing something?

I'm with you man. People always say manual tranny buyers are a small group but I'd have to think that people who use those 3-2-1 options with most auto trannies are an even smaller group.

For any of you still fretting over the lack of an MTX with the V6 or the Nav system, both are available in the Mazda6 (Navi is new for this year). So if you like the Fusion or Milan but want one or both of those then head on over to a Mazda dealer.
    I'm not sure why you find it hard to understand that people would want to be able to prevent the automatic transmission from hunting back and forth between 2 gears while on a hill, yet don't want to shift gears manually the other 99% of the time.

Even Taurus has an overdrive lock out that served this purpose. The Fusion is going backwards in usability in this regard. Most people don't want a manual transmission in a family sedan like the Fusion.
  • candlbuffcandlbuff Member Posts: 11
    I have been frustrated by the lack of information Ford has supplied about the roll out of the Fusion. Did the dealership you visited provide you with any information about when you could actually see, sit in, or drive the Fusion/Milan?

Does anybody know when we can expect the Fusion in dealerships?
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    "Most people don't want a manual transmission in a family sedan like the Fusion."

True, most will chose the automatic trany. But the "base" Fusion at $17,795 MSRP with a 5-spd. manual is an awesome value.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    By the end of the month, first 2 weeks of October, they will start to trickle into dealerships.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Don't forget that it is nice to be able to downshift one or two gears when going down long hills, instead of riding the brakes the entire way down the hill. I'm not talking about using the transmission instead of the brakes to slow down on off- ramps and so forth, as that would wear out the expensive transmission parts just to save the inexpensive brake pads.

Whatever, the new Ford-GM joint venture 6-speed automatic is coming soon.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    I stopped by Cities Ford yesterday after work and picked up a Fusion brochure. They've got the real deal [brochure] out now, not just one of those 1 sheet preview cards you get at auto shows. Now I'm even more antsy than I'd been before. I can't wait to get behind the wheel of one of these puppies and take it for a spin. I've got my fingers crossed.
  • fordfaninbowiefordfaninbowie Member Posts: 34
    I am now hearing from the sales guy at my dealership that the Fusion shipments have been delayed. He could not (or would not) site a reason.

I am speculating that Ford appears to be waiting for several reasons. I have heard rumors that the success of the Ford Family Plan has prompted the delay.

Ford is still trying to clear out current inventory of the Taurus and '05 Five Hundreds before launching the Fusion. The reason is that the Fusion will be coming in at a higher price than these two vehicles after the Family Plan Pricing is factored in. This could undercut the sales of the Fusion and hurt the sales targets Ford has set.

Any truth to those rumors???
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Well since the family plan is ending on Oct 6th and ANT just told us that we won't see Fusions on lots until the first two weeks of October pretty much tells it all. ;)
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    What difference does it make? The Fusion is being introduced with some sort of incentive on it.
  • todd11todd11 Member Posts: 23
    Ant,

Do you have any idea on how many orders have been placed for the Fusion?
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    From what I'm seeing now on on production delays, there's everything from running boards on the Explorer, to GT engines on the Mustang. No delays on the Fusion or MIlans. (Production wise). If there is a delay, it might be shipment, but I was just told there's no issues there either.

Todd,

The initial numbers of orders placed, doesn't reflect the success of the vehicle at first launch. Mainly because all dealers will have a specific allocation to start with. It's not till the 2-4 months later after the dealers sell off that allocation, where the numbers will reflect the success of the car. And at that time, it'll be obvious what packages/trim levels, sell best then production allocation is modified.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    First, Ford planned all along not to report Fusions sales until October.

Second, Fusions where relased to dealers and are on the railcars as we speak.

Third, Since I have only owned manual transmission vehicles, the only automatic I have ever driven that didn't shift inappropiately was a car with a CVT. Oh wait, they don't shift.

What I would like is an automatic that would downshift when you tapped the brake then hold that gear they way the Torqueshift transmission works in the F-series in tow-haul mode. (be sure you don't leave out a letter by accident if you use the word shift in this forum.)

Mark
    Looks like all the reviewers went to the same roll out and drove the same heavily optioned car - SEL, with leather, with the V-6.

I sure would like to see a report on the 4, and better reports on how the S vs. SE vs. SEL trim levels compare.

It's sort of like dating the beautiful sister and marrying the ugly one, if you don't watch out.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Ford needs a solid 4cyl sedan with the prices of gas skyrocketing. I too am interested on how the 4cyl in automatic SEL and SE trim do in a review. I am still on the fence on whether to go with V6 or 4cyl. My 01 Escape has been paid for for about a year now, I have been waiting and watching the Fusion/Milan for a while now. I am however going to wait until next fall to purchase. Wait for all the hoopla to die down and inventories to rise. This way the dealer will deal.... ;)
    Too bad mileage isn't better on the V6. 21/29 is worse than V6 Malibu and other V6s despite 6 speed automatic.

What is the 4 cylinder automatic EPA mileage?
    Including some information from Ford that seems to contradict earlier predictions here for the take rate on the V-6 (how many will be sold that way):

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-09-15-fuel-efficiency-cover_x.htm

Also, thanks to bewhite25 for the link above! Some may miss that a full review is available at:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/New/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/38832/Act/Showall/
  • fordfaninbowiefordfaninbowie Member Posts: 34
    on the Ford Direct web site! Go to www.forddirect.com and select Fusion. This was not available on Friday, 9/16/05. Also, allows you to search dealers' inventory. There are one or two on the lots in the Washington, DC area. I will be going out this weekend to drive! :shades:
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    doesn't really look too bad. a loaded up 4 cyl seems to be a couple grand cheaper than a comparable Accord, although you might have a feature different here or there.

Also sounds like they took a mazda 6 (which I really like for the most part) and addressed a few things I didn't: more comfortable front seats, and a little more room in the back, while keeping the driving dynamics, and (I think) lowering the price.

Really interested to see one at this point. Doesn't hurt that my neighbor is the GSM at a local Ford dealer.

A comparison test with the Accord is a must.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

It doesn't let you price 4 cylinder with automatic. How much extra is the automatic supposed to be when they become available?
    If you want automatic, you must buy V6 for now.
    usually goes fro about $800, but I have no idea the exact amount on the Fusion.

After looking closer, an SEL w/cloth will be about $1,400 less than an EX cloth Accord. Best as I can tell, the 2 are very comparably equipped. An SE is about $700 cheaper, if you don't mind 16" wheels, and can live without auto climate (which seems to be the biggest difference between the 2).

Scary to think of how nice a value it will be if it ends up in rebate land!

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    According to edmunds new car pricing the automatic is $825 MSRP, $718 invoice.
    I think the 4 cylinder with standard transmission is priced very competitively. It would be at the top of my list of "next cars" were it not for the omission of side air bags and ABS. True, you can get them as options, but they won't be on many dealer-ordered cars, and I have never liked ordering a car - I don't think you can make as good a deal, plus the timing can be bad on sales, rebates etc.

What I really like about the Fusion is its promise of European handling and steering, which it appears to deliver based on about 7 test reports I have read. Basically it sounds like the Focus's older brother - a good thing for people like me who would like a slightly larger car, but don't want to give up the fun factor of the Focus.

Although the Fusion is based on the Mazda6, and inherited its suspension set up (which is great), this is a heavily modified platform - the dimensions have been expanded all the way around, which takes care of the complaint that the Mazda6 is a little too "Euro sized" compared to its competitors, the Camry and Accord. So it's not at all like buying a Mazda6 with a Ford label, which is what I expected at first. Same thing with the engines - Mazda and Ford designed the basic engine, but each company has gone its own way with final development.
  • iamweaseliamweasel Member Posts: 1
    There really isn't any incentives on the Fusion. They are offering 3.9% financing and $0 cash back. $3.9 is hardly an incentive when a typical bank rate is now in the 4% range for a car, anyway. The only reason this was done is so Ford Credit could get some business since they aren't competitive with banks right now given Ford's debt rating as a company.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    According to an article in Automotive News today, Ford is offering $500 matching down payment and $500 bonus cash for financing through Ford.

I'd post a link but it's not an open site.

Actually 3.9% isn't that bad. My credit union was 4.99% for 48 months and my FICO is top tier.

The same article notes that the Fusion has to succeed. Ford loses 20,000 Mustang owners who trade in on a mid-size sedan - not one of them buys a Ford. 20% of F-150 and Explorer owners also own a competitors' mid-size offering. Steve Lyons, group VP of Ford marketing, calls the Fusion Ford's most important car launch since the Taurus in 1985.
    My experience with them was like dealing with the devil, *never* again, they can keep their $500. Long story short - I paid additional principal early and they didn't credit it appropriately, even though my check specifically said "principal only".

-juice
    and it was a good one.

Anyway, Edmunds shows the $500 finance incentive, but not the down payment match. SO, the SE I like is MSRP 21k, invoice ~ 19.5, if I can get a good neighbor deal less the Ford donation, we're at about 18.5K. Not too bad for what you get.

Can't wait to frive it to see if it's nice. Last car I got all excited for (the 2006 Civic) ended up being a disappointment, but eventually I will find the car that works for me.

I don't expect it to "flop" unless there are some very bad quality and recall issues even worse than what people would normally expect and accept from a first year Ford.
    It is an alternative to the Malibu and the Taurus is going away, so hardcore Ford buyers will buy this or 500.
    It does everything the Taurus does, but for more money.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Well, hopefully it is a lot better than the Taurus. It is way past its freshness date.
    First, cars show in the "locater" once they are released to the common carrier. That car may not be on a dealers lot for a few days.

Second, the Fusion is being released with $500 matching downpayment rebate and $500 Ford Credit Cash. or the low apr.

Third, Ford Credit is not a "bank" that can call up the federal reserve bank and borrow money at the prime rate. They already borrowed the money they are lending you accordingly there is a higher rate.

Fourth, Ford's "higher rate" is some times lower than what a consumer can get at a bank because of credit scores etc.

Mark
    Lending institutions do not borrow from the Fed at the prime rate...They pay the discount rate, which is lower than prime. And the Fed makes loans to banks only for very short terms. They sell T-Bills, etc, to all comers....The prime is a rate at which supposedly the big banks lend money to their best business customers.

Woe to us all if success or failure of the Fusion relies upon the finance rates that Ford Credit can offer!
    Oh and what is this about potential "very bad quality and recall issues even worse than what people would normally expect and accept from a first year Ford."

The last three newly launched Fords, the 2004 F-150, and the 2005 Five Hundred and Mustang all scored in the top 3 places of their class in the JD Powers Initial Quality survey.

Mark