Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    sounds nice.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Use of a name in Australia alone will NOT in and of itself protect a name for USA use...

You might be interested in the fact that in Australia, the Subaru Liberty is what is called a Legacy here. DaimlerChrysler is not amused, I am quite certain...
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    Accord to the USPTO, Ford's use of Falcon as name for vehicles has a live status, so there is nothing to prevent them using it unless they have plans to use it on another vehicle. I think that could probably win on Futura as well if they chose to appeal it, but it's probably not worth it. I had a '79 Faimont Futura I brought from my mum after my old red '64 Country Sedan wagon with a 289 ci engine got creamed by some fool driving a Camaro or Firebird, couldn't tell after its nose got smashed in. Anyway, I was able to drive the wagon back home, but it needed several suspension parts, headlights, grill, fender, etc. which by 1984 were very hard to come by in Michigan. So I sold it to a guy who was restoring a '64 Ford Galaxie for parts and bought the used Futura, real cheap. The Futura was a dog, slow, horrible mileage, poor leg and head and trunk room, rear suspension hopped that all over the place, it wouldn't start when it was too cold, too wet, or too hot. It had very little body rust, but rusted in all sorts of odd places, like the mounting points for the headlamps and the radiator, had to wire the radiator in place to prevent it wobbling, and could never keep the headlights aimed properly. In three years I had more trouble with that car than all the other cars I had combined. It was so much trouble I refused to sell it to a neighbour I really didn't like too well and had it junked instead. I don't know if I would be willing to buy another car called a Futura ;)
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    FiveStar, FourStar, FordStar, Five Thousand, Five million, Five Trillion.... he he..
    he he?

Fi Fi!

The Ford Fi Fi! (As in fee-fee)

Nah, sounds like a real dog of a car...
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    I had read on another message board that, shades of Futura, there is a brand of tires named Falcon.

Speaking of Futura, yesterday I saw a 1963 Falcon Futura convertible on the road. Those early 1960s Falcons were pretty good-looking cars, especially the 1963 models.

The Fairmont-based Futura coupes were good-looking cars for the time, in my opinion, but the late 1970s and early 1980s represent the dark ages for the Ford Motor Company.
  • f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    Ford "Falon" because it's not in the dictionary it doesn't mean anything. (American dictionary) Of course I'm sure one way or another it's just as big a can of worms?
    Paul
  • f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    Opps edit time ran out. I see over in the UK a nameplates company "Falon nameplates now if that isn't a problem for them it could be a problem for Ford to meet their Moto---
    "To get it Right"
      "First Time!"
      " Everytime!"
        "On Time"
    Interesting
    Paul
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    looking forward to when someone has any new information on the car. i could care less on what ford finally ends up with for a name as long as its well engineered.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I'm a little confused here... this car is replacing the Taurus and the Five Hundred is replacing the Crown Vic? Or is the Five Hundred about the same size as this one, whatever it's called.

I like the conceptual styling, but I'm guessing it's as true to the real thing as the Cobalt's concept art was. I'm beginning to think this could end up as the Ford Fubar.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The Futura (or whatever it's finally named) will replace the Taurus eventually... But the Taurus will go for rental fleets.... The 500 with "compliment" the Crown Vic, when eventually the Crown Vic will go to rental/livery fleets as well.
    But...supposedly, the Mercury Grand Marquis will soldier on whilst the Montego is sold at retail beside it.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    And lest anyone forget - I came up with it. Bill Jr will owe me lots of money for coming up with such a great name. Unless of course it tanks then I will explain it all away with: as a consultant I can only advise - actual decisons are your responsibility. For another fee, I can come up with another name!!
    "I had read on another message board that, shades of Futura, there is a brand of tires named Falcon."

That would be Falken I do believe.
    Just as there's Continental Tires....

It all depends on the Judge you get. When you dislike a Judges stupidity, you always appeal and go for another.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "But...supposedly, the Mercury Grand Marquis will soldier on whilst the Montego is sold at retail beside it."

HAHAHAHA. Does Ford really expect anyone to pay retail for a Mercury version of a Ford for any more than say, the first month, POSSIBLY two?

I hope expectations arent that unrealistic. Even if Ford manages to keep rebates off the Montego, pricing nearer to invoice and far from MSRP can be expected as time passes.

Ford recently slapped rebates of up to $4000 on the Monterrey. But given the vehicles absurd MSRP, it almost seems as if they expected to.

~alpha
    Let me restate that. By retail I mean retail customers (not fleets) will be able to get ONLY the Mercury Grand Marquis, whilst the Crown Vic will be available to fleet buyers ONLY (who will be able, presumably, to buy the Grand Marquis as well)...
    Yes correct. Ironically, the Grand Marquis sells more than the Crown Vic. Then again, the Lincoln Mercury showroom sees more of that older demographics, traffic wise.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    I think they ought to call it the Fairlane.
    One reason that the Grand Marquis outsells the Crown Victoria is that Ford dealers rarely have more than one or two Crown Victorias on the lot. They are almost an afterthought.

Lincoln-Mercury dealers, on the other hand, always have lots of Grand Marquises, and they put them front and center.

As for rebates on the Monterey - if I recall correctly, rebates on the Freestar are at similar levels. The problem is that both minivans weren't updated enought to meet the strong competition from Toyota, Honda and Dodge/Chrysler.
    The other reason that GM's sell so well compared to CV's is that most retail customers do not want a car associated with cop cars and taxis. You do not often see GM's used as such, therefore the value of a used GM is almost always significantly higher than for a CV.

There is a lesson in here about fleet sales, applicable to the car formerly known as Futura, the Five Hundred and to all models, for that matter....
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Don't fall 2 in love with the Freestyle, Ford has already said else where that the next mini-van will spawn from the Mazda6 platform... one advantage of the Mazda6 platform is that it is compatible with AWD. :)

Freestyle has by far the nicest interior of any minivan. Its also USEFUL as a tow vehicle.
    IMHO they are just priced out of the market.

Mark
    "Freestyle has by far the nicest interior of any minivan."

Freestar, and have you been in the interiors of the Sienna or the new DCX twins. Specifically, if you look at Sienna XLE and Limited models, the interior looks as if lifted out of Lexus.

~alpha
    The new Freestar interior is pretty nice. Unfortunately, the rest of the minivan recalls the ghosts of Windstars past far too much.

As for fleet sales - Ford is specifically keeping the Taurus around for fleet customers. The Five Hundred, Freestyle and Futura (or Four Hundred) will be aimed at retail customers.
    ...for a little while. Then the Taurus will go away and...
    Anyone noticed how the Impala and Cavalier sales have increased, this a mediocre vehicles overall? Ford is pushing away from rental car fleet sales and those firms have started using GM's instead. That's surely one way to drive your opponents depreciation down, heh...
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    First incentives and high fleet volume increase deprecation. (new taurus lease residuals are in the 30%s over 3yrs)

Second high deprecation drives price at the auction...

Third ex fleet units, say a 2003 taurus with 25k miles, will retail as a certified unit four 10 to 12k. Obviously this kills new car sales. Especially as there is more profit in the used units for the dealer, thus incentive to push them.

Ford is trying to improve the quality of its market share and make it more than just a number.

Mark
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    The Cavalier is so heavily discounted that it sells for way below the Focus or any of the Japanese brands, and is even cheaper than most of the Korean econoboxes. Even with Mexican labour they can't be making much money on a car that can go out the door for as little as $7K. As for the Impala, it's just big and cheap, not bad, but for the money I'd much rather have a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. I still can't figure out why Ford never bothered to put rear disc brakes on the Taurus/Sable sedans...
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    To make the cars as cheap as posible.

Anyway, the Ford CD338, nee Futura, needs a name pronto. I wish they'd dump the F names.

The Freestar is a flop since it's pretty much the same as the Windstar.
    GM has publically stated years ago, they lose around $800 per each Cavalier sold. And this was YEARS ago prior to 9/11. You can get guestimate it's probably over $1200 at this day and age.

From last I checked, the Taurus will be kept around till 2008 and at that time, Ford will re-assess the situation and see if they'll keep it as a fleet only vehicle. Crown Vic's lifespan is around 2009 when the same will occur.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    The original Taurus/Sable had 4 wheel disc brakes. I don't know exactly when they got "thrifted" to drums, but I was pissed when I noticed it. THAT I remember. My 87 Sable had 4 wheel Discs.

I own an 04 Monterey (The Mercury Freestar) and I have to stick up for it. I was never a Windstar fan, having rented many of them, and bought a Villager instead for my business because of my rental experience. When my lease on the Villager was up, I leased a Monterey, expecting not much. I have been very pleasantly surprised! The interior appointments are very very nice, and I got the stripper. It's extremely comfy, and best of all, no defects yet, in 2000 miles. That really surprised me for an early edition of a new model. It could use a more refined engine, but the corporate 4.2 Essex engine runs fine and has great torque. It's just a little rough for today. Reminds me of damn near anything GM makes. You may not like the Freestar, but from my experience so far, it's a big improvement over the Windstar, and a great introduction of a new vehicle.
    I believe it was 98-99 when they switched to rear drums, dont' quote me though...
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Sounds about right, ANT. My last Taurus was a 92, and I believe it had discs too.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    for a car with all the bold, masculine overtones as the 427 concept. Falco is better than any of them.

What gives with the Mazda6 based crossover for Ford? What about the Escape and the Freesyle?
    Fairlanes with racing engines in the 1960's were far from 'wimpy'.
    There's 4 names that are being tossed around, again... Torino, Granada (supposedly they don't REALLY have to use the "F" name, so they say), Fairlane and Falcon.
    I think Four-Hundred would be great. It correctly asserts the status as the Five-Hundreds little bro, and the alphanumeric makes the car sound upscale, a bit.

I think Ford is insane if it wants to conjure up memories of the Granada, hell even the Torino. Tomcat- how many people in the target audience of this vehicle are REALLY going to remember thundering Fairlanes of 40 years ago?

~alpha
    ALL I remember about Granada is that Ford ran ridiculous advertisements comparing the car favorably to a Mercedes Benz.

yeah, right.

They need to resurrect that like they need more holes in their heads.
    And how many of the "target buyers" remember Granada or Torino? It was only 10 years after Fairlanes.

If they call it 'Torino' the muscle car crowd will howl, saying "it should have V8/RWD".
    Like I said, forget the heritage names, and go with Four Hundred.

~alpha
  • daytona3daytona3 Member Posts: 24
    I like the name Falcon. I think it is fresh enough and appropriate enough to apply to a fresh, sporty sedan. From what I can gather, I don't see it carrying any negative baggage. I could be wrong, though, as I don't know that much about Ford's past.

I think Fairlane should be reserved for the Ford flagship - a model above the Five Hundred. This is where I think the Australian Falcon platform could be used to make the car rwd and V-8 powered. Styling could come from the 427 concept while the Crown Vic soldiers on for a while for police and taxi duty.

I would rather not see Granada used as it projects an old image that is not too favorable. Besides its past, I think the name just sounds old.

I just don't think Torino would fit either. It has an image of a muscle car instead of a highly sophisticated family sedan. The Accord, Camry, and Altima are targets, and I just think Torino brings up images of muscle cars. That's my opinion, of course.

The Four Hundred nameplate could work, but I'd rather see Ford give this car a name instead of a number. I'd rather be known by my name rather than by a social security number. I'd like to be able to remember the nameplate as well.

Falcon has my vote and possibly my future dollars as well.
    I prefer Falcon myself, Torino, and Granada conjure up images of Spain and not in a favorable way either. And Fairlane sound like a nursing home community with a golf course.

Ironically, there is a brand of tires named Falcon as well...who knows what the legalities with that may be, btu Ford does have the name rights to Falcon which they have kept alive.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    I wonder if it would come in bright red with a big white swoosh on the side? Just in time for product placement in the sequel!
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Having grown up in the 1970's, I have good memories of Falcons, Fairlanes, Torinos, and Granadas, so I have no problem with any of these names. However, Four Hundred reminds me of the Dodge 400, a K car derivative from the early 1980's. An insider who posts on another message board says that Chroma is a possibility, but that is the worst name I have read.
    I think it was was Dodge 600.
  • daytona3daytona3 Member Posts: 24
    There was a Dodge 400 and a Dodge 600 later on. I hope Ford doesn't follow with the 400 nameplate.

I also have to vote against Chroma. It just sounds strange to me. Ford Chroma? I still like Falcon. It is a name people wil know how to pronounce and visualize at the same time.
    Chroma sounds like a model of the Toyota Avalon. It does NOT sound like a Ford.

As I think about it, even keeping the Taurus name is better than Granada!
    Well, it wouldnt be the Ford 400. It would be the Ford Four Hundred. Makes a big difference, IMO.

Personally, I think Ford has issues naming new vehicles. While the Generals (cars) may not always have been great designs, many of the names flow off the tounge more easily and sound hella better to speak. Intrigue, Alero, Ranier, LaCrosse, Cobalt, Velite, Solstice, ION, etc. are a few of the cool-er sounding GM names. About the only cool sounding Ford name I can think of is Focus.

~alpha
    I like Fusion myself....

They just won't offer that name here because overseas it's a small SUV built on the Fiesta platform, known as Ecosport in South America.

But then again, if Ford is thinking of using Falcon which is an Australian vehicle, they could very well do Fusion here....