Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    "What profits? Ford is losing money, there are no profits"

WRONG! again.. Ford is loosing money in the North American market..
    Then I guess when Honda/Toyota offer 2.9% thats ok?

0% doesn't mean you pay more for the car. Has nothing, absolutly nothing to do on the purchase price of the vehicle. One beings in the Mercury Milan vs Camry room, a Camry owner paid $4,750 dollars more for a like Camry to a Milan Premier. OUCH!! What do you say now? This was just the purchase price of the car, not even including the financing/interest paid over the loan/life of the car. :sick:
    The Fusion can easily someday be assembled/built in the USA. It is less expensive for Ford to start production with lower cost labor/infrastructure. Then move production to a plant in the U.S. when demand is there.

Also, hate to tell ya.. Demand is there. Had a chat with a Ford salesperson from California. He is with one of the largest Ford dealers in Southern Ca. Says the average time a Fusion sits on the lot is about 4 days.. Some are pre-sold even before they make it to the lot! Gee, guess noone wants Fords. yeah right... :shades:
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "Ok, if the Fusion is "foreign" then why isn't it getting the recognition and praise it deserves? Because it has a blue oval badge thats why."

Geez, I thought it was getting good praise. It's probably regarded as the best domestic mid-size car and is among the best for its handling.

The only fierce criticism I read about this car is from forums such as this. You know, that free speech you mentioned earlier.

Yes, some media outlets have wrote that the Fusion is down on power compared to its competitors. You seem to think they do this because it's a Ford. Not rational thinking. Hence, I pointed out that the Mazda 6 receives the same criticism.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The production is low, so they don't have that many to sell, so whatever the dealers receive shouldn't sit on the lot for very long.
    The Fusion has been out for many, many months and I still don't see that many around.
    If they were selling in Camry numbers, then it would be different.
    "Assembled is different than built. The tooling of the Japanese plants are also 90 percent Japanese and mostly supported by Japanese. Americans do the "Assembly..."

Our Camrys and Accords are assembled by Americans with a high content of American made parts. A fair amount of R&D is done by Americans also. But wait!, the tooling of those plants are supposely done by the Japanese. What's next?

Whose going to break the bad news to those assembly workers and those workers who made the parts and all those other american jobs that are involved with supporting those Japanese plants on what kind of job they really have?

Face it, you can't play the patrioctic card with the Mazda based, assembled in Mexico Fusion.
    "Ford is loosing money in the North American market."

They're losing money overall too. Who's wrong again?

Ford has a pretty good car line up these days. Other than the Focus (it seems to be going away of the Taurus while the Mazda 3 stays fresh), their cars are pretty competitive and fresh. The mustang is a icon. It's just that Ford is more of a truck company and they're truck sales are suffering a bit.
  • dlangdlang Member Posts: 59
    Although this is a bit off topic, I came across this news while on a recent business trip. Guess who sells the most cars in Japan? Not Toyota, not Honda, not Nissan, and not even Subaru . . . Suzuki (the made in Japan-kind) sell the most cars in Japan. Surprised . . . I was.

Not too off topic, the Lincoln Mercury dealer I used also is a Suzuki dealer. They offered to show me a Suzuki while I was considering the Milan.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    0% doesn't mean you pay more for the car.

It does when you're forced to give up the $1K rebate.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    it depends on your definition of 'pay'.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw an (unintentionally) funny ad from one of my local Ford dealers on the 0% for 72 months financing on the Fusion and other Fords. It listed the amount of money you could save if you have different kinds of credit, from "Excellent" (lower interest rate) to "Poor" (18% interest rate) compared to the 0% financing. Very impressive numbers. Then at the bottom of the ad, in small print, it says "0% financing available only with approved credit". ;)
    "Face it, you can't play the patrioctic card with the Mazda based, assembled in Mexico Fusion."

And you can with your Accord/Camry? Sorry I burst your bubble about the "American" Accord/Camry fairy tale..
    "It does when you're forced to give up the $1K rebate."

I guess I need to explain this further. Getting the 0% has nothing to do with the actual selling price from the dealership. If you have great credit, and good negotiating skills you can do very well without rebates. Plus, the amount you save in financing more than makes up the $1K rebate. Do the math yourself. Lowest you can get from lets say Honda is %2.9 over a 5 year period. Lets say you take a $15,000 loan out.. now punch the numbers at %2.9, payment of 272.89, 0% payment is 253.76. Over the time of the loan you save over $1,000. This not including you pay up to $2,500 less for a like equipped Fusion.. ;)
    I don't know how this got into a Honda comparison. The original issue was 0% financing. In order to get the 0% on a 2006 Fusion you give up the $1K rebate. This means that you will PAY the dealer $1K more for the car with 0% than you would if you paid cash or did your own financing - no question. I'm NOT saying it's cheaper in the long run (total cost) but you do pay more up front.
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    I saw a better one. It said "If you are approved, you qualify!!! (for zero percent)".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

You can be approved for financing, but not quality for 0%. What's so hard to understand?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Lowest you can get from lets say Honda is %2.9 over a 5 year period. Lets say you take a $15,000 loan out.. now punch the numbers at %2.9, payment of 272.89, 0% payment is 253.76. Over the time of the loan you save over $1,000. This not including you pay up to $2,500 less for a like equipped Fusion..

Never say "Now punch the numbers" when there is an accountant in the room, they will actually "punch the numbers". The 2.9% loan would be $268.86 and the 0.0% one would be $250.00 saving you $16.86 per month or $1,131 60. But wait, you're getting a $1,000 rebate so your 2.9% loan would be a $14,000 loan making your payment $250.94 or only $56.40 over the term of the loan.

But lets say that I keep the loan at $15K and put the additional $1,000.00 into a long term CD. After 5 years it would be worth $1,276.28 (based on 5% interest) or about $1,190.00 after taxes. Either way it beats the $1,131.60 you would have saved on interest.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Yes, but I think a better way to look at it is that it is not really 0% interest. If I take the rebate I borrow $15,000, if I don't I have to borrow $16,000. For myself, I keep cars until their death, so I would take the full 6 years. This would give a payment of $222 with the 0% and $16,000.

A $15,000 loan at 2.15% would have the same payment. So my effective interest rate is 2.15%. I can earn 5% in a money market...which would be about 3.3% after federal and state income tax. So, therefore, the "0%" loan, that is really a 2.15% loan is a better deal than the rebate.

BTW, on the Accord comparison...how would one get 2.9% financing, when they do not have discount financing on that model? :confuse:
    I never play the patriotic card, but if one were to, one would be foolish to do so with the Fusion. No need to be sorry though for no bubble was burst.
    :surprise: "Never say "Now punch the numbers" when there is an accountant in the room, they will actually "punch the numbers".

I should have known there would be a bean counter among us! ;)
    In my region Honda is offering %2.9 financing..
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The current 0% for 72 months campaing that ends on the 5th is different from previous campaigns.

Ford uses a tiered approval system. Previously, only peeps approved in tiers 0 and 1 and in rare cases up to tier 3 qualified for the 0%.

In this campaign, Ford is offering 0% out to tier 5 customers! This is very very big news, previously the only option open to these customers was "subprime" lending at up to the highest rates allowed by law.

the "If approved, you qualify" tag is just a clumsy way of saying something that isn't so easy to explain.

I am a little pissed, that I took the 1.9% offered in the beginning of August. VS. the 0%, i'm paying about $800 extra over the 60 months. :(

Mark.
    Toyota is a company that makes money by selling cars. Toyotas are rarely considered the "best in class" in terms of performance or handling or any other criteria used to say what is better than an other. (possible exception is Sienna)

Toyota just managed to build up this reputation for quality.

Ford has time from time built the absolute best in any individual class. The trouble is they build bombs from time to time as well.

Visit www.autos.com

Mark.
    "Ford has time from time built the absolute best in any individual class"

In the last 20 years those occurrences have been rare. In the car segment anyway.

The Camry has been regarded as among the best in its class for some time now. I'm not here to tout Toyotas, I never owned one and I don't plan to do so in the near future. But it's more than Toyotas' reputation for qualtiy that brings people into their showrooms. Most of their vehicles are rated near the top in their respective segments.
    My dealership is currently sold out of 06 AND 07 Fusions. We have 6 or so 07 Milans in stock.

We tried not to order to many Job #1 07 Fusions because of the changes that come with Job 2. Now maybe we wish we did.

Mark.
    Just out of curiosity I looked up TSBs for the 2006 Fusion since it's been out almost a year now.

I only found 4:

1 for a code that may not clear at high altitude
    1 for a special tool required to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt
    1 describing ignition diagnostics
    1 for alternate spare keys

Not bad for a brand new vehicle. This backs up the lack of problems being reported. Kudos to Ford for finally putting their money where their mouth is regarding quality being job 1.
    By contrast:

The 2007 Camry already has 8 - one of which is a safety recall for airbag replacement.
    The 2006 Camry had 9 - 4 appeared to be defects.
    The 2006 Accord had 9 - 3 appeared to be defects
    The 2006 Sonata had 30 - at least 6 appeared to be defects
    Now post this on the Midsize sedan board and watch the Honda/Toyota fans heads spin! ;)

Took my Fusion in for an oil change today at the Ford dealership. They had a special for $20.00, so I took it there. Speaking with the service guy, he never sees a Fusion except for oil changes.. :shades: Looking at the internet traffic. The Fusion/Milan are proving to be very reliable and well built vehicles. Think you'll hear about it in the media! He.. NO!! :mad:
    Took my Fusion in for an oil change today at the Ford dealership. They had a special for $20.00, so I took it there. Speaking with the service guy, he never sees a Fusion except for oil changes.. Looking at the internet traffic. The Fusion/Milan are proving to be very reliable and well built vehicles. Think you'll hear about it in the media! He.. NO!!

You don't hear about the VERY POOR urban mpg on the Milan, now 13.5 mpg/NYC, in the media either. You do hear Ford deceptively advertising 32 mpg on the Milan. No wonder Ford is losing market share! :sick:
    Not bad for a brand new vehicle. This backs up the lack of problems being reported. Kudos to Ford for finally putting their money where their mouth is regarding quality being job 1.

How about seeing how many Fusions were SOLD against the TSBs to make a statiscally VALID comparison?
    By contrast:

The 2007 Camry already has 8 - one of which is a safety recall for airbag replacement.
    The 2006 Camry had 9 - 4 appeared to be defects.
    The 2006 Accord had 9 - 3 appeared to be defects
    The 2006 Sonata had 30 - at least 6 appeared to be defects

Where are finding this erroneous data???

According to the NHSTA-ODI, "The data does not contain all the service bulletins generated by a manufacturer."

Surely if we compare the # of 2006 Fusion/Milan cars SOLD vs. 2006 cars above one will uncover that the % of Fusion NHTA-ODI reported safety related defect TSBs is high for a new car and in reality there are 11 TSBs, while the Hyundai Sonata has 6, Honda Accord 0.

Per NHSTA-ODI, the 2006 Accord has 8, not 9 defect TSBs, btw. :D
    Report Date : September 12, 2006 at 05:25 AM
    SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE
    YEAR : 2006
    Make : FORD
    Model : FUSION

Results : 7 | All records displayed
    Make : FORD Model : FUSION Year : 2006
    Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10149123 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: November 29, 2005
    VIN : 3FAHP08126R...
    Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
    Summary:
    DT*: THE CONTACT STATED THE THIRD BRAKE LAMP WHICH IS LOCATED BEHIND THE REAR SEAT BLOCKS HIS VIEW. AT NIGHT YOU CANNOT SEE THE HEADLIGHTS OF OTHER CARS THAT ARE CLOSE. THE CONTACT FEELS THE LAMP SHOULD BE RELOCATED IN THE TRUNK DECK OR ABOVE THE REAR WINDOW. UPDATED 2/13/2006 - THE CONSUMER HAD ONE MINOR ACCIDENT. HE BACKED INTO A POST THAT WAS ONLY ABOUT 3-4' HIGH. THE POST COULD NOT BE SEEN BECAUSE OF THE VEHICLE'S HIGH BACK DESIGN AND THE HIGH MOUNT BRAKE LIGHT BLOCKING HIS VIEW. *NM

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

ODI ID Number : 10150032 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: January 26, 2006
    VIN : 3FAHP08156R...
    Component: TIRES:TREAD/BELT
    Summary:
    A MICHELIN HXMXM4 225-50-17 INSTALLED ON MY FORD FUSION 2006 JUST LOST ALL THE TREAD AREA AFTER JUST SOME 1500 MILES ON IT. I CALLED FORD AND MICHELIN AND I GOT NO ANSWER. SINCE THE TIRES ARE MADE IN THE USA AND FORD IS A US BRAND, I WOULD LIKE TO FILE THIS COMPLAINT. I HAVE PLENTY OF PICTURES I MIGHT SEND TO YOU IN CASE YOU NEED THEM. I HAVE CALLED MICHELIN, BECAUSE THIS IS A BRAND NEW TIRE, SO THERE IS NO TIRES ON ANY DEALER, AND ALSO, TO ASK THEM TO HONOR THE WARRANTY BUT IT SEEMS THAT NO ONE WANTS TO HELP OUT AND THEY SAY IT MUST BE MY FAULT AND NOT MICHELIN´S FAULT SINCE THEIR TIRE HAVE NEVER EVER HAD SUCH TYPE OF PROBLEM. THANK YOU. *JB

ODI ID Number : 10150224 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: January 16, 2006
    VIN : 3FAFP07166R...
    Component: VISIBILITY:REARVIEW MIRRORS/DEVICES:EXTERIOR
    Summary:
    DT*: THE CONTACT STATED THE EXTERIOR MIRROR ON THE VEHICLE DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO SEE THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE. NO MATTER HOW THE MIRRORS ARE TURNED THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE CANNOT BE SEEN. THE DEALER AND THE MANUFACTURER HAVE BEEN ALERTED. UPDATED 3/9/2006 - *NM

ODI ID Number : 10150439 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: February 16, 2006
    VIN : 3FAFP07166R...
    Component: VISIBILITY:REARVIEW MIRRORS/DEVICES:EXTERIOR
    Summary:
    DT*: THE CONTACT STATED THE EXTERIOR MIRRORS ON THE VEHICLE DO NOT ALLOW VISION OF THE REAR END, NO MATTER HOW THE MIRRORS ARE POSITIONED. THE DEALERSHIP SUGGESTED MOTION SENSORS BE INSTALLED AND THE MANUFACTURER STATED THIS IS HOW THE VEHICLE WAS MANUFACTURED AND NO REPAIRS WERE AVAILABLE. UPDATED 03/09/06

ODI ID Number : 10158349 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: May 26, 2006
    VIN : 3FAHP081X6R...
    Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD
    Summary:
    MY WINDSHIELD HAD SERIOUS DISTORTIONS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE GLASS. VARYING DEGRESS OF MAGNIFICATION CAUSED EYE STRAIN AND HEADACHES. IT WAS DANGEROUS DRIVING THE VEHICLE IN THIS CONDITION AND NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. MY DEALERSHIP REPLACED THE WINDSHIELD ONLY TO HAVE THE NEW ONE BE EVEN WORSE. THE NEW WINDSHIELD IS SO BAD IT'S AS THOUGH I'M LOOKING THROUGH A WET WINDSHIELD THAT HAS NOT BEEN WIPED. THE DEALERSHIP HAS ACKNOWLEDGED THE REPLACEMENT IS BAD AND THAT IT MIGHT BE INDICATIVE OF A LARGER PROBLEM. THEY PLAN ON CONTACTING FORD. I'VE HAD THE CAR FOR ONLY ONE WEEK AT THE TIME OF TYPING THIS. *NM

ODI ID Number : 10160601 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: June 22, 2006
    VIN : 3FAFP07176R...
    Component: TIRES
    Summary:
    DT*: THE CONTACT STATED WHILE DRIVING THE TIRES SUDDENLY BECAME FLAT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. THERE WERE NO POTHOLES OR FOREIGN OBJECTS THAT MAY HAVE PUNCTURED THE TIRES. THE DEALER RECENTLY CHECKED THE TIRE PRESSURE TWO WEEKS AGO AND THERE WAS NO NEED FOR EVEN A ROTATION OF THE TIRES. THERE WAS ALSO NO VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING PRIOR TO THIS INCIDENT. THE TIRES WERE OBSERVED PRIOR TO THE INCIDENT AND THERE WERE NO SIGNS OF FAILURE OR BUDGING. THE CONTACT EXPRESSED BEING NERVOUS BECAUSE OF THE TWO TIRES GOING FLAT AT THE SAME TIME WITH NO APPARENT WARNING. THE DEALER STATED BOTH RIMS WERE BENT. UPDATED 08/22/06. *JB

ODI ID Number : 10164404 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: August 2, 2006
    VIN : 3FAHP08Z36R...
    Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD
    Summary:
    LOW VISIBILITY OUT OF THE REAR WINDSHIELD CAN POSE A DANGER WHEN BACKING UP IN PARKING LOTS OR OUT OF DRIVEWAYS SINCE SOMETIMES THE ROAD CANNOT BE SEEN AND DISTANCE TO OTHER VEHICLES CANNOT BE ESTIMATED. NO BACKUP WARNING SYSTEM WAS AVAILABLE AS AN ADD-ON LIKE THE FORD EXPLORER AND OTHER FORD MODELS. THIS SHOULD BE A STANDARD FEATURE IN ALL MODELS OF THE VEHICLE AS IT WOULD PROVIDE SAFETY IN BACKING OF THE VEHICLE IF NOT AT LEAST AN OPTION TO ADD TO THE PURCHASE. *JB

Just out of curiosity I looked up TSBs for the 2006 Fusion since it's been out almost a year now.

I only found 4:

I'm curious too and found 11, 2006 Honda Accord ZERO. What were you saying about a new vehicle???

11 TSBs are available for the 2006 FORD FUSION

Search result summary

Type Count
    Service Bulletin 11

The following 11 TSBs are available for the 2006 FORD FUSION:

Subscriber? Use the Advanced Search form to access all of your account features.

TSB Description Issue Date
    06-10-10 AUDIO / NAVIGATION SERVICE AND ORDERING PROCEDURES 2006-05-29
    06-10-6 HEATER HIGH BLOWER SPEED - COLD AIR ON INITIAL START UP - REVISED 2006-05-29
    06-9-1 HEATER HIGH BLOWER SPEED - COLD AIR ON INITIAL START UP 2006-05-15
    06-8-11 CAMSHAFT TICK NOISE - 3.0L 4V ENGINE ONLY WITH EXHAUST CAMSHAFT DRIVEN WATER PUMPS 2006-05-01
    06-4-2 DISCHARGED BATTERY - CHARGING SERVICE TIPS - REVISED 2006-03-06
    05-26-20 COLD START TIP-IN HESITATION - 2.3L WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 2005-12-31
    05-25-1 SQUEAKING NOISE FROM WHEEL COVERS - REVISED 2005-12-26
    05-22-5 IGNITION DIAGNOSTICS 2005-11-14
    05-18-7 WIRING - SOLDERING AND CRIMPING REPAIRS - SERVICE TIPS - REVISED 2005-09-19
    05-9-18 DISCHARGED BATTERY - CHARGING SERVICE TIPS 2005-05-16
    05-9-3 INTERIOR PLASTIC TRIM - PAINT-TO-MATCH AND REPAIR - INTERIOR SPRAY PAINT AND ADHESION PROMOTER USAGE INSTRUCTIONS 2005-05-16

Search did not return any matching bulletins for a 2006 HONDA ACCORD.

I only found 4:

1 for a code that may not clear at high altitude
    1 for a special tool required to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt
    1 describing ignition diagnostics
    1 for alternate spare keys

Not bad? Not good either! Looks like you're confusing NHSTA-ODI problems reported with actual mfr issued TSBs. Save the kudos for 2007 models, the 2006 Ford Fusion has 11 TSBs. If Ford ever sells a significant voluume of Fusion/Milan, the reported NHSTA-ODI defects will go up.
    First TSBs are NOT necessarily a description of a problem.

Several of the TSB are general in nature as to how to work on certain aspects of the Fusion.

There is a TSB regarding vibration from the door panels caused by bass from the speakrs. I will have this one taken care of at my next oil change.

I'm glad the complaints to NHSTA were posted because that most of them are related to buyer's remorse.

YES rear visiblity is low compared to some cars. If you don't like it, don't buy a Fusion. Don't blame Ford if you backed into a pool! Don't blame Ford if you curb your car and BEND your RIMS!

I remember when my Grandmother was alive, she would complain about pain in her arm when the weather changed. She broke her arm as a teenager trying to crank start a Model A. That damn old Ford she use to say.

Could you imagine if some of the idiots who drive today had to deal with crank starts?

Mark.
    Reverse sensing is available AFTERMARKET for any vehicle. Installation is around $300.00.

If you are having problems backing I suggest you contact an auto accessories store near you.

I hope the idiot that made that complaint is reading this.

Next people are going to complain about RED being to bright and it hurts their eyes when they are getting into a vehicle on a sunny day.

I think I'll post a complaint about a Honda Accord. Its clearly safety related as the Honda Accord poses a threat to my economic security since all the profits go back to JAPAN!

Mark.
    Hilarious...

THE CONTACT STATED THE EXTERIOR MIRROR ON THE VEHICLE DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO SEE THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE. NO MATTER HOW THE MIRRORS ARE TURNED THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE CANNOT BE SEEN. THE DEALER AND THE MANUFACTURER HAVE BEEN ALERTED.

What does this mean...the back of the vehicle??? Side mirrors will let you see the side, not the back, of any vehicle. (Though it is safer to have them set so you do not see your vehicle, without leaning your head to the side.)

Even better is the one where the tires suddenly went flat and apparently the rims spontaneously had become bent.
    I used the NHTSA website for the TSB info for all 4 vehicles - you can't use data from different sources. A defect is a defect regardless of how many copies of a vehicle are sold or how many times the problem is reported. We're not counting total number of defects - just the number of specific problems that were common enough to warrant a TSB.

This does not mean the Fusion is perfect or that the other vehicles are bad - just that the lack of defect type TSBs AND THE LACK OF USER REPORTED PROBLEMS confirms that the Fusion is one of Ford's best built vehicles and is at least as good as the imports, if not better.

Those 'safety complaints' are hilarious and none of them show any fault with the vehicle. The only safety problem in those vehicles is the nut behind the wheel.
    You do hear Ford deceptively advertising 32 mpg on the Milan.

Because Ford isn't deceptively advertising 32 MPG. According to the EPA a 4 banger with an auto will get 32 MPG highway. According to the law they have to advertise EPA estiments.

Also I would expect NYC driving to result in very poor mileage in any car since you tend to spend a lot of time stopped in traffic where your mileage is zero on any car.

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I never pay much attention to peoples claims about their "real world" mpg in the city, as there are just too many variables. Any significant amount of idling at a stop light or creeping in heavy traffic can very greatly affect overall mileage.

For example, suppose you had a car that you drove in a situation where you were stopped most of the time, and you drove 5 miles and got only 5 miles per gallon. Additionally, you then got on a freeway and got 30 MPG for another five miles. What was your average mileage? An amazingly low 8.57 MPG! (10 total miles driven divided by 1.167 gallons used)
    Also I would expect NYC driving to result in very poor mileage in any car since you tend to spend a lot of time stopped in traffic where your mileage is zero on any car.

I'm comparing the 2006 Milan to its euthanasia-ed siblings 1996, 1999 & 2003 Sables, none of which got that low mpg all under the same conditions.

Comparatively speaking, the Milan is a gas guzzling pig. :lemon:
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    You don't hear about the VERY POOR urban mpg on the Milan, now 13.5 mpg/NYC, in the media either. You do hear Ford deceptively advertising 32 mpg on the Milan. No wonder Ford is losing market share!

Oh really? The Milan is rated 23 city/31 hwy with the 4-cyl, and with either the automatic or manual, 31-32 MPG isn't very difficult to attain, considering the Mazda 6 uses the same engine and tranny, and 32 MPG is pretty common among those owners.

I'll guess you have the V6 (rated 21 city/29 hwy, btw). Between that, and NYC driving which is worse than ANY mileage test out there, your mileage won't be stellar by any means. The V6 also improves with mileage as well. My V6 in the Mazda 6 is the same engine, and while fuel economy wasn't good initially, after 35K miles, I get (or even beat) the EPA mileage all the time.
    I'm comparing the 2006 Milan to its euthanasia-ed siblings 1996, 1999 & 2003 Sables, none of which got that low mpg all under the same conditions.

Do you have a source for this or am I just to take your word for it?

I'll guess you have the V6 (rated 21 city/29 hwy, btw). Between that, and NYC driving which is worse than ANY mileage test out there, your mileage won't be stellar by any means. The V6 also improves with mileage as well. My V6 in the Mazda 6 is the same engine, and while fuel economy wasn't good initially, after 35K miles, I get (or even beat) the EPA mileage all the time.

As stated in previous msg, I'm comparing the 2006 Milan V6 to the Sable, the car it supposedly replaces. The EPA range on the 2003 Sable and 2006 Milan is city 17-23. If 17 is the EPA low end for city mpg, then the 2006 Milan V6 :lemon: is way below while the 1996, 1999 & 2003 Sables which have all performed within range.

I have to wait 35K miles for mpg improvement? That is a joke!
    I never pay much attention to peoples claims about their "real world" mpg in the city, as there are just too many variables.

Ditto. At one time I could have said my wife was getting about 10 mpg driving our '97 windstar to work in a location with no traffic to speak of. Now this leaves out the fact that she was driving about 1.5 miles each way and it was winter ;) .

I think the CR test probably approximates the worst case city mileage that anyone is likely to experience...but even that was 12 mpg for a 1997 Windstar.

BTW, CR got 14 mpg in their "city" test of the V6 Fusion. For comparison, they got 15 mpg for the Taurus Jan 2004 and 14 mpg in 2000.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230

You're also comparing it to lighter, less-powerful cars.
    I do have the stickers from all of the Sables I've owned. As for mpg complaints, would have posted here long ago if I had such poor urban mpg as I now have from the 2006 Milan V6 :lemon:
    So in short I am to just take your word for it. Maybe its your driving habits. Maybe you miscalculated, there are just so many variables that makes one person complaining about poor mileage just about meaningless. I see others giving much higher city driving numbers, much closer to the EPA estiments.

You're also comparing it to lighter, less-powerful cars.

Where are you getting your "facts"???

Lighter? The 2003 Sable curb weight is
    GS: 3338 lbs Vulcan
    3313 lbs Duratec

LS: 3501 lbs Vulcan
    3484 lbs Duratec.

2006 Milan is:
    3117 lbs I-4 manual
    3303 lbs V6 automatic

Thus, the 2006 Milan V6 is 200 lbs lighter than 2003 Sable LS....

Powerful?
    Both 2003 Sable LS and 2006 Milan V6 have 3.0L 24 valve Duratec engines.

Sable LS horsepower: 200@5650 rpm, torque; 200@4400 rpm
    Milan V6 horsepower: 221@6250 rpm, torque: 205@4800 rpm

Looks like a 10% hp increase in Milan, neglible torque increase. Any other gauges of power???

Certainly you aren't going to justify the 2006 Milan V6 :lemon: very poor urban mpg based on your interpretation of facts?

The fact is the 2006 Milan V6 :lemon: gets very poor urban NYC mpg vs. 2003 Sable LS though it is 200 lbs lighter and maybe 10% more powerful, if the numbers above suggest more power.

Gee, hope I don't have 4 fat passengers, then I may have negative mpg! :D
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    My 2000 Taurus is about the same weight as a V-6 Fusion/Milan and it is also equipped with the Duratech V-6, though it is a non variable valve timing version and with a 4 speed automatic vs 6 on the Fusion/Milan

This Taurus gets 19-22 mpg in my daily suburban comute, which is a mostly a fairly low speed 11 mile commute one way, but not very conjested most of the time.

My strictly highway mileage varies between 27-30, once again depending on speed, climate, AC on or off, wind conditions, etc, but it always has equalled or beaten the EPA highway rating, which if I recall, was 26 or 27 mpg.

I cannot imagine that a V-6 Fusion or Milan driven on the same commute cycle as my Duratech Taurus, would be a whole lot different, while I might expect it's highway mileage to be better mostly due to the wide range maximum gearing I expect is available in the 6 speed automatic.