Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• Options
    devendrapdevendrap Member Posts: 2
    I am newbie to this group. Pardon me if I posted message to wrong place..

I recently bought Ford Fusion SE. I am very happy with MPG and other features. I like 6 CD MP3. But I haven't figured out how to change folder. I pushed the Folder button many times, but nothing happens. Yes, I went thru manual too.

Any thought how to change folder in MP3 player?

Thanks
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I think you must have created the MP3 disc with folders. But I haven't actually used a mp3 disc so I don't know for sure.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    DO NOT USE FOLDERS. Just put the files in the main directory of the CD-Rom.

Some of the players just will not work with folders.

If you do use folders, try using very short names (less then 11 characters) and do not use any punctuation.

Mark
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    on my SEL v6 Fusion yesterday and they look like new!@ I used on of those Mothers polishing balls attached to a drill. Have to be careful not to let the drill get away from you. :shades:
  • Options
    zoomandyzoomzoomandyzoom Member Posts: 19
    I'm wondering if any Fusion owners here ordered their cars, and if so, how easy the process was, how long it took your car to arrive at the dealer, how fair you feel your deal was, can you still take advantage of incentives if you order, etc. Thanks for any and all help.
  • Options
    The only difference with ordering a vehicle is that you don't get the incentives when you order it - you get whatever is in effect when you actually take delivery.

I've ordered several vehicles because I'm very picky about options, colors, etc. First have the dealer search for the exact vehicle you want - it may be available at another dealer. If not then order it. Just make sure the deposit is refundable. It should be unless you're ordering something the dealer doesn't think they can sell if you back out.
  • Options
    Supposedly, if a dealer orders a vehicle for you under your name as either a "Type 1" or a "Type 3", the programs available will be locked in for you. This does not apply to all programs though such as "loyalty cash"

Mark.
  • Options
    Even the ones that say "take retail delivery from dealer stock"?
  • Options
    Fords campaign for the Car and Driver data is paying off. Over the weekend while out I saw 2 New Fusions, 4 other Fusions, 2 Milan, and 2 MKZ. This comparison test was by far Fords best. These people are everyday Joe's, not Ford employees as some say. This also goes to show that mags pick the best sellers because it easy for them along with keeping sales up. The Fusion/Milan/MKZ may not work for some, not saying its the BEST car in the world either. Simply, it is a competitor, consumers have spoken.. :shades:
  • Options
    theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    To that, there is the 2007 Edmunds.com Consumer most wanted ballot. Vote for the Fusion/Milan early and often. To show Edmunds how wrong they were for picking the Fusion Dead last in last years Mid-sized family sedan comparo.
  • Options
    wonder how Car and Driver are feeling?? To have all those consumers pick the Fusion over the Camry/Accord?? must have had them squirming in thier seats.. It goes to show you don't always beleive what you read! :surprise:
  • Options
    What the automotive media likes and what people buy are two different things. Even if you look at objective measurements there is still a subjective factor as to whether a buyer cares that one car is faster than the other or handles better.
  • Options
    This is still a fair comparison because the AWD Fusion is closer in cost to the FWD Cam/Cords.

Mark
  • Options
    Agree, also the Camry/Accord have stability control, the Fusion does not. ;)
  • Options
    thebigfoistthebigfoist Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know of a good wheel lacquer to match my Ford Fusion rims? With nice weather hopefully approaching soon I am looking to repair a few scratches I obtained over the long winter.
  • Options
    I took a Mothers polishing ball and Mothers wheel cleaner/polish to my Fusion wheels on our last sunny day. Wow! what a difference. In the first few months of owning the car I did a big no, no. Took my car through a car wash. the was put small scratches on my wheels. The polishing ball took out I would say at least 80 percent of the scratches. Wheels look just about new..
  • Options
    chm1chm1chm1chm1 Member Posts: 2
    Newbie here. As a long-time Japanese car owner and driver, I was pleasantly surprised to learn of the very positive reviews that many reputable sources have given the Fusion & Milan. First question: The two models seem pretty similar, with just a few differences between them. Therefore, what criteria would I use to decide which of the two would be more appropriate for me and my driving habits? Second question: Does anyone know (or can explain) why Consumer Reports says consumer satisfaction ratings for the Milan & Fusion are only average to slightly above average, while consumer reviews in Edmunds.com, CarAndDriver.com and cars.com paint a very different picture? These consumer reviews are very favorable, even in comparison to those of the Camry and Accord. Thanks.
  • Options
    Some say the Milan is a bit quieter than the Fusion. Other than that it's just styling and equipment packages.

As for Consumer Reports - you have to take all of their statistics with a grain of salt because they only survey subscribers so it's not exactly a scientific sample.
  • Options
    driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    "The truth is, with all these fancy transmissions that makers are coming out with (auto stick,auto shift ect) The truth of the matter is 95% of drivers use D, R and P the most... "

Truth is, it doesn't matter what is used. It doesn't matter what is logical. It doesn't matter if it is completely superflous and ridiculous. All that matters it that it is an advantage to be exploited by the competition and that some customers are viewing the current D-L as inferior to the manu-shift, even though they won't use it. This is a business situation that the domestics have continually screwed up on. You don't tell the public what makes sense, the public tells you their nonense and you make it happen. That is how you stay in business. Is there a reason for an eight speed tranny, or sedans with 300+ horse? Logically and statistacally there is not. But in a business, the logical and statistical matter very little.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    As for Consumer Reports - you have to take all of their statistics with a grain of salt because they only survey subscribers so it's not exactly a scientific sample.

This is true and the ratings given by self-selected samples on websites, like this one, are certainly not statistically valid, either.
  • Options
    I was quoting someone else there, I think Ford is foolish to not put the manually selectable transmission in the Fusion. Especially if the difference in cost is $50 as a comparison of Mazda6 to Fusion pricing implies.
  • Options
    I have Nissans and Fords at my lot. Just about every fifth test drive in a Nissan the customer puts the trans into manual mode on the test drive and wonders why the cvt doesn't adjust.

I have to go into a whole long speal about what the manumatic mode is, etc.

The universal response is "why would anyone want that"

To date, I have yet to be told by a customer that they were less likely to purchase a Ford because of the lack of a manumatic.

I have a 2007 Fusion SE black on black 5 speed manual trans on my lot and its collecting dust.

Mark.
  • Options
    That's because the small number of drivers who want one already know it doesn't have one and would never show up in the first place.

It's not so much about actual sales - it's more about the image that gets portrayed, especially in comparison tests.
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    You are probably correct - for a proper price difference people would take anything that is not essential to their well-being, or what they perceive it to be. Just a few years ago a side-impact airbag or ESC were considered by most as unnecessary gadgets that were making a family car too expensive. Today everybody has them standard or available for a decent price - surely not for goodness of their hearts.

Manumatic autos vs. non-manumatics are like 30-speed bikes vs. 12- or even 16-speeds. Both will take you wherever you want to and comfort is similar. There is no reason an average cycylist would ever need 30 speeds. And people know it, so for a while an 16-speed will sell OK.

Yet - if the price difference is none and enough of competitors sell 30 speeds, the time may come 16-speed will die off or market will split into segments with very cheap 12-speeds and nice 30-speeds. Does Fusion want to stay with the latter one or is content to mop as a bottom-feeder - that is a proper question.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Good comparison between the transmissions and the bikes. The Accord doesn't have a manumatic either, and it is a 5 spped auto vs. 6 speed for the Fusion/Milan, so it has an advantage there anyway. Of course the Fusion especially is supposed to be a sportier alternative to Camcords. I have a 5 speed manumatic autoon my Mazda3 hatchback, and I rarely use the manumatic function, so I don't think the lack of one would totally dismiss a car for me. I have been thinking of getting into a car that is a bit more 'comfortable' but with a sporty edge, with some V6 power, and the Fusion looks very nice.
  • Options
    Even if there is potentionally 18 speeds, not all of the combinations are usuable without the danger of stretching the chain.

a 30 speed bike I assume has 3 gears on the crank and 10 at the rear wheel. That would only giveyou about 10 usuable combos though.

Mark.
  • Options
    I don't know whether they are all usable or not, but on a bike some combinations will give you essentially the same ratio as others. I recall from ancient times that on a typical 10 speed, it used to be you would usually have maybe 6-7 significantly different gear ratios.
  • Options
    chm1chm1chm1chm1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know whether a 3.5L V6 is expected for the '08 Fusion and/or '08 Milan?
  • Options
    Definitely not for the Fusion but some claim there is a 3.5 08 Milan listed somewhere (order guide maybe?). But nothing has been confirmed yet.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    More likely to be in none or both, not just the Milan.
    Unless it gets the same mpg as the standard V6 or the other V6 was to be completely dropped and scrapped to simplify their engine lineup, there is little reason for it. They would want buyers to upgrade to the Taurus and Sable or MKZ instead.
  • Options
    The 500 3.0L gets 19/26 under the 2008 tests. The Taurus 3.5L gets 18/28. I think you'll see the same thing for the Fusion and Milan when they get it. The 3.0 will be replaced by the 3.5 across the lineup but it will take a few years to reach that much plant capacity.

It is possible the Milan would get the 3.5L because the volume would be much lower than the Fusion and the Edge/MKX and MkZ are taking most of the existing engine plant capacity right now.
  • Options
    aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi all...

While many may disagree with what I'm about to say I still have a go here at mentioning that I think Ford would gain even more sales with its Fusion/Milan duo if they offered AWD, or at least traction control, with their base 4 cylinder engine model lineup. The Sonata offers ESC/traction control throughout its ENTIRE line I believe, and this Hyundai is selling quite well.

Oh well, just a thought to ponder in this thread/forum...

Peace!<- :shades: --
  • Options
    May sales - Sonata 12K (50% fleet), Fusion 14K (20% fleet)

I agree it would be nice if they offered it but I don't think it necessarily translates to a big increase in sales.
  • Options
    urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    While many may disagree with what I'm about to say I still have a go here at mentioning that I think Ford would gain even more sales with its Fusion/Milan duo if they offered AWD, or at least traction control, with their base 4 cylinder engine model lineup.

Aladdinsane,

I doubt if offering the AWD option, about $2,000 extra, in the I4 configuration would increase sales all that much. Most of the people buying the I4s are interested in economy and/or a lower price. The AWD option delivers neither.

Electronic Stability Control will eventually be mandatory and probably lessen the demand for AWD. We have a 2007 SEL AWD Fusion ($27,105 MSRP) and are very disappointed with our 14.8 mpg in-city mileage. The revised EPA estimate for this power train is 17 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. That is a detriment to sales given the rising cost of gasoline.
  • Options
    I agree, Ford needs to mix up its AWD offerings. However, maybe the 2.3 is just not strong enough to pull the AWD maybe? Ford needs to drop in the 2.5 and beef it up to about 175 HP.. Then were talking .. ;)
  • Options
    Consumer reports had a brief article about comparing ESC systems in their 07 annual auto guide. They liked Advance Trac in the Explorer. They said that the ESC Hyunidai uses needs more work.

Mark.
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Wow, this forum got real quiet real fast... Did Camry win ?

Back on topic: I was pretty interested in the Milan possibly being my next car until I realized that ESC is NOT available. I bought a used Mercedes 4 years ago that has their version, called ESP. The MB ESP almost entirely negates the need for AWD. I have driven it on snow and ice and it is a MUST have option for me on any vehicle I buy. It is fantastic..!

I really like the Milan/Fusion mostly because they are derived from the Mazda6 which has gotten rave reviews from owners. I owned one of the early MX-6's (1988) with a 122 hp 4-cyl and a 5 sp. manual tranny. I kept it for 9 years (9 hard driving years!) with nothing needed beyond tires, oil, brakes, and mufflers. Well, except for the seat frame that broke after 4 months, mostly my fault! It was a great car, easily the most reliable I've ever owned and the most fun to drive too.

I'm hoping that heritage carries down into the Milan/Fusion and it seems that so far it has. But I have a problem with people in this forum (only a few) talking up the Fusion/Milan as SPORTS cars... And talking about the need for lots more power. First and foremost they are family sedans and if they happen to have very good handling and ride qualities along with reasonable power, that doesn't make them sports cars. Sporty sedans maybe... But far from sports car lineage...

:)
  • Options
    Stability control is not a substitute for AWD if you're in a low traction situation - especially if you're starting from a stop. Both can help you regain control if you're driving on slippery surfaces, but there are situations where ESC will save you and AWD won't and vice versa. One is not really a substitute for the other.
  • Options
    I agree if you're talking about going over rough terrain or trying to muck through 15" of snow. But for 99% of my driving, light snow (6" or less) or slushy roads, my MB with ESP, traction control, ASR, and ABS is nearly foolproof.. I've never had a problem with starting from stop in a low traction situation.

Others results may vary...
  • Options
    my MB with ESP, traction control, ASR, and ABS is nearly foolproof.

I am acronym challenged. MB = Mercedes-Benz; ESP = Electronic Stability Program?; ABS = Anti-lock Braking System; but what does ASR stand for?
  • Options
    What if both drive wheels are sitting on ice or stuck in mud? ESC won't help you there.

I'm just saying that each technology has advantages over the other in certain circumstances.
  • Options
    what does ASR stand for?

Anti-slip regulation, I believe. AKA - traction control.
  • Options
    Provides no benefit vs traction control when driving in a straight line.

The difference between stability control and traction control is that the former has a yaw sensor that measures cornering forces.

If the registered yaw does not equal predicted yaw, then the car recognizes an oversteer/understeer event and applies the appropriate wheel's brake and/or reduces throttle to compensate.

Advance Trac will be on the 2009 Milan.

Mark.
  • Options
    If there is still a Milan and a Mercury in 2009.
  • Options
    You didn't read the latest JDP Initial Quality Survey? Milan was FIRST for midsized sedan and MKZ was FIRST for premium entry sedan.

Nope it wasn't Toyota.

Mark.
  • Options
    If there is still a Milan and a Mercury in 2009.

Let's all hope so. :)
  • Options
    Well, you will still be able to get it fixed at a Ford dealer. If Mercury goes, it will be similar to when Oldsmobile went away years ago.
    They are redundant cars in a company that may not be able to afford that luxury much longer.
  • Options
    Redundancy is quite affordable - dirt cheap, actually, when you consider the Fusion already did all the engineering work. Just think of the Milan as another trim package. Mercury exists right now to supply Lincoln dealers with lower end products to sell. There seems to be a concerted effort to merge the Lincoln/Mercury and Ford dealers and if that happens then the Lincoln dealer wouldn't need Ford clones anymore and could afford to make a few unique vehicles.
  • Options
    I've had both rear wheels on hard packed snow and ice and it might take a few seconds but so long as the car isn't pointed up a steep grade, it will gradually move. The traction control is very sensitive and even ice has "some" friction.. If it didn't you wouldn't even be able to walk on ice.

Not even 4-wheel drive will allow you to drive on snow and ice as if you are competing in the SummerNationals drag races.. Ya gotta take it slow and easy..

:D
  • Options
    The Mazda heritage has a lot to do with that..!

I had an MX-6 in the 90's and it was AWESOME... Reliable, comfortable, economical, and ZOOM, ZOOM ! Then for a while all their cars were too small for me..! Now they are making some slightly larger vehicles again and Fusion/Milan are slightly larger than the Mazda6.. Good news for me...

:)