Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan

Comments

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    You better get you order in early for a hybrid. One salesman said most the early built hybrids are going to California and the East Coast. Both I talked to Saturday said their dealerships were allocated two hybrids. The number of cars to dealerships has to increase as demand increases in other parts of the country. I'm telling you, after seeing the non-hybrid Sport last weekend, this is going to be a popular car once it hits the Auto Show circuit and showroom floors.
  • max54max54 Member Posts: 2
    >>I didn't think it would be possible to get much under MSRP before summer.

Why do you think that? I mean with all the other incentives, why would you not buy something like the Mazda 6 with 0% APR + $1,000 cash back, plus MSRP discount over a new Fusion at MSRP?

I'll be looking at the new Fusion, but will not buy it if the price is too high compared to everything else.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    MSRP is only for the hybrid - I expect regular pricing on the 2010 non hybrid Fusions/Milans ($500 over invoice plus a small rebate/low financing).
  • kevin512kevin512 Member Posts: 3
    Tim156,

Apple Valley Ford is expecting a Hybrid available for a test drive in mid March. If I like it, I'll put in an order. I'm not worried about waiting a few months for delivery, but I don't want to miss out on the $3400 tax credit that drops to $1700 on April 1st. There has been some speculation as to whether ordering a car before April 1st will even quality for the tax credit or if a person would need to take possession by that date, which would be almost impossible to do.

If I can't get the $3400 tax credit or if I can't take possession of a Hybrid by late summer, I'll stick with the SEL.

Kevin512
    Since the IRS document gives the example of someone purchasing a vehicle in the summer but not taking delivery of the vehicle until several months later, I believe as long as you get the retail order in before 4/1 you're covered. I also think Ford's retail order verification project will not only help you get a hybrid without worrying about whether your dealer has allocation or not but will also give you the documentation that you might need for the tax credit.
    The order for my SEL, 2.5L, Blue Sport Metallic, Moon and Tune and remote start was confirmed today by Ford. Two weeks for a VIN and delivery in 4.5 weeks. I can't wait!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    post some pictures on carspace when you get it!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Sounds just like the '10 Fusion I want. Question: could you have gotten the blue Alcantara seats (Blue Seude option) with the SEL? I think that would really jazz up the interior and I'm not sure on which trim levels its offered. Thanks
    The two tone seats are only available on the Sport model. Looking at the Spec Sheet, the Blue Suede option was deleted for 2010. It's now called blue (red or black) seat insert. I briefly considered the Sport model but wanted the fuel economy the 2.5L offers. Style and economy, Ford put together a great package with the Fusion.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I think the one that makes the most sense for me is the Fusion SE with the 6 speed manual and the moons/tunes package that includes a sunroof, SYNC, and an upgraded radio. Unfortunately, I think it will be a while before I can get out of my current ride, so we will see how it goes.
  • milkman1milkman1 Member Posts: 80
    So most Toyota dealers already have 2010 Camry on the lot and don't show the pricing on their site. Ford has the pricing on their site and no 2010 Fusions on the lot. I've held out as long as I could for the fusion to get here and I think I'm done waiting. 32 years and I think I am finally giving up on waiting for Detroit. grrrrrrrrrr
    if you have to buy a new car now, that's what you have to do.
    wait a little longer, and you can play one off against the other.
    So most Toyota dealers already have 2010 Camry on the lot and don't show the pricing on their site. Ford has the pricing on their site and no 2010 Fusions on the lot. I've held out as long as I could for the fusion to get here and I think I'm done waiting. 32 years and I think I am finally giving up on waiting for Detroit.

They have received the okay to sell as of now, I believe.

Just to be clear, its the 3rd month of '09 and you are upset the '10s aren't here yet?

While I appreciate your interest in the Fusion, as I am pretty curious too, I can't help but wonder if there is some justification to get something else going on. If you like it, and it sounds like its going to be something good, why wouldn't you wait for it? They announced the roll out would be in March, it seems like that is on track.
    Boy, and I thought I was impatient. If your willing to "give up" on the American auto industry in general and Ford in particular because a newly designed 2010 model isn't already in the showrooms in March of 09 well good luck to you. I've read that Ford was holding back delivery for QC to ensure a perfect product hits the floor. That's good news to me. I also read the the first 800 vehicles have been approved for shipment. I hope mine is one of them. I was lucky enough to see a 2010 Fusion Sport at a training reps house. This car is worth waiting for. Don't limit your options, be patient and wait until they arrive, you'll be glad you did.
    It's not just the current situation. I just get tired of how much better set up and organized the foreign competition is at the auto shows, the corporate web sites, and the fact that the second Detroit ups the competition the competition has already put something new in the field that's arguably better again. I mean Ford keeps saying how they are more fuel efficient than Camry but that's not ended up being the case. I4 vs I4 2010s the Camry won already unless we are talking the stripped down Fusion. I'm not saying I'm not going to get the Fusion, but I have to toss the Camry into this and it just depresses me to no end. The only reason I need to get a car now is I'm tired of thinking about it.
    I just get tired of how much better set up and organized the foreign competition is at the auto shows

I thought Ford looked good at Detroit and LA, I didn't get to go to Chicago though. Was this one of the main shows or dealer level? In Detroit, the Ford display was the most interactive and arguably the coolest one there (also had the most new product).

I don't know, I guess its just depressing to hear stuff like that after it seems like so much effort went into it.

the corporate web sites,

I noticed on the Honda and Toyota websites, it can be challenging to figure out how much anything actually costs. Was there a particular piece that the Ford website wasn't handling?

I mean Ford keeps saying how they are more fuel efficient than Camry but that's not ended up being the case. I4 vs I4 2010s the Camry won already unless we are talking the stripped down Fusion. I'm not saying I'm not going to get the Fusion, but I have to toss the Camry into this and it just depresses me to no end.

I don't know of any mechanical differences between the S, SE and SEL 4 cylinder Fusions except for maybe some weight gain for a power seat and sun roof and stuff like that. I don't know why it would be so dramatically different.

There is nothing wrong with a Camry. Lots of people buy them and are satisfied with them. The Fusion is a competitive entry into a crowded market. It seems like both vehicles are reliable, both vehicles have a dealer network that can handle the service and maintenance, both vehicles have a lot of advanced options available, you just have to decide what things are important to you and go for it.

I can't take the crappy bluetooth visor clip on deal anymore and the lack of an iPod interface kills me, so SYNC is important to me. I don't care for the ride and handling of the Camry, I like something that feels a little sportier. I do like the sunroof, and I need a manual transmission, so that narrows things down even more.

I guess I like rooting for the underdog. I feel so vested, its just a car :confuse:
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I do not see how you can cross shop Fusion and Camry. They are very different kind of cars. Fusion is more athletic and sporty and for younger crowd and Camry is soft freeway cruiser similar to Buick - for older folks. May be if you like confident handling and good steering feel you should compare Fusion with Altima and Mazda6 instead of Camry. I am giving this advicet because you will be highly disappointed in Camry if you want sporty ride and buy Camry in the rush. I know people who hate that they are stuck with their Camries and Avalons exactly for that reason.

If you prefer soft handling look into Sonata and Malibu for comparision with Camry. Or wait for new Buick LaCrosse - it appears to be very exiting car and its sibling Opel Insignia was a winner of European Car fo the Year in 2008.
    The average buyer doesn't give a rats behind about sporty vs. soft handling, etc. It's all about price, reliability, looks and features. Once again you assume that all car buyers share your priorities, likes and dislikes. But almost everyone on this forum is in the minority when you look at the car buying public as a whole.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The average buyer doesn't give a rats behind about sporty vs. soft handling, etc. It's all about price, reliability, looks and features.

Sad, but true. I doubt my grandmother bought her 2002 Accord (4-cyl, LX) because it was a sportier offering, at the time. She bought it because she could see out of it well (low cowl/widely adjustable seat), got good mileage, it was comfortable, and had a dealer literally 45 seconds from home. Would a Camry suit her better? Possibly, but at the time, the Honda looked better to her, and could be had cheaper (end of that model run, and the Camry was newer). Plus, she'd gotten 120k of excellent service from her '96 Accord, which I actually own today. It now has 190k miles. :)
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I assume that people on this board do care about handling and steering feel. Good handling is also safety feature. I recently rent Chevy Cobalt and was scared driving it. I have similar size Ford Focus with similar size engine (2.3L vs 2.2L) and it is older model than Cobalt. In Focus though I feel absolutely confident that car can do everything I ask and I really feel what car does every given moment so I can get relaxed behind the wheel - even at high speeds. So if you want to feel stressful and scary behind the wheel - go and buy Camry. If you want to be relaxed and confident - buy Fusion.
    You just don't get it. WE may care about handling, but the VAST MAJORITY of the car buying public doesn't. People buy 400K Camcords per year because of the styling, reliability and features - not because they handle well.

The fact that the Camry outsells the Accord should tell you something.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    My 06 SEL V6 is a wonderful car. I recommend over a Camry/Accord.
    I received an e-mail from my dealer today. He stated the allocation listing just came out and mine is scheduled for build in mid April and I should expect delivery late April or early May. The order went in on March 2nd. He also gave me the VIN. I did a VIN results search on fleet.ford.com and it's already listed there. I tried to enter it at the fordvehicles.com owners web site and it stated it wasn't a valid number. Anyway, that's all good news to me and a few steps closer to my new ride.

Fusion SEL
    Sport Blue Metallic
    2.5L I4
    Moon and Tune
    Remote Starter
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    I have an 07 Camry, which I have never been happy with since the day I bought it. Ride is soft, seats are unsupportive, transmission hunts for gears when on the freeway (mainly when going up or down even the slightest of inclines).

I drove an 09 Fusion SEL V-6 yesterday. Seems to have lots of pep, seats were supportive and the ride was firm, but not harsh.

Ford dealer stated Ford currently has $3500 rebate. Car is about $27,400 (sticker), so wondered if Ford is also dealing well on these cars.

I was impressed, and wondered how long you have owned your Fusion and how you like it.

Thanks.
    They are advertising 7500 off 09 Fusions here. One dealer leaves the keys in them at night unattended. Meanwhile, for all us who have to have a test drive to buy, you can't find a 2010 to try out.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994

They are advertising 7500 off 09 Fusions here.

Down here in central Georgia, one dealer has the '09 Fusion S with automatic (MSRP 20,220) advertised for $14,990. That's $2000 below Elantra money here.
    You can get a very good idea by driving an 09, that's what I did. With the improvements such as more sound deadening, electric assist power steering, improved suspension, better aerodynamics and improved stereo, among others, will make the ride even better.
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    A local Ford dealer in northern NJ has a half dozen '10s on the lot and shown on its web site, warnockauto.com . Non-hybrids, 4 and 6 cylinder models.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    lilengineerboy said: "There is nothing wrong with a Camry. "

Have you driven a Toyota Camry or Avalon lately? Steering is crap. Steering is important to me (I'm weird that way, as I like to be able to put the car where I want it). Anybody considering a Camry over a Fusion should really do 2 things:

1. Read the many car reviews by experts at Car And Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile, etc., about the wallowy steering in the Camry.

2. Drive one yourself if you can't believe its that bad. It is that bad. I drove a couple, and still can't believe that a decent company like Toyota could do this. Very non-competitive of Toyota to do that. Almost every other vehicle is better.

Then, you'll appreciate what the engineers at Ford have done with the Fusion.
    I guarantee you that at least 8 out of 10 prospective Camry buyers would have no problems with the steering and would not notice the difference between a Camry and a Fusion. It's just not important for the vast majority of the public.
    Steering isn't important. Thats a concept.
    If people really tested/compared the Fusion to the Camry, they would see the difference. Ignorance is bliss, I know. I feel it should be left to the experts who test cars, since emergency handling/steering is important, and the ability to point the vehicle where you want it is important.
    Anybody got a great deal on a new '09 Fusion yet? With the '10 model just coming out, and sales a little slow anyway, I'll bet the '09 Fusion can be had for a song. I'd personally rather have a 4cyl '10 Fusion, but if the '09 is cheap enough, by a few thousand, it would be worth the diff.
    In youngstown OH area they are being advertised at 35% off sticker. Advertised mind you. Of course this includes all the cash incentives rather than the 0% financing.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Just like the "buy American only" people are ignorant to the serinity that the Camry offers since they won't check out "one of those import cars."

I'm not a Camry fan, but what akirby is saying makes absolute sense to me. I'd wager a vast majority of people look for the same things in a dishwasher that they look for in a car. Plenty of room, some nice features, and something they can use daily without giving it a second thought. For those people, there's Camry.
    It's not so much whether they could feel a difference in the steering - I'm sure most could if you pointed it out to them. The question is "do they care?". And for the vast majority of buyers they simply don't care. If they did then the Camry wouldn't be the best selling midsize sedan. They care about cupholders, styling, fuel mileage, features and reliability far more than they care about handling or steering.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I've been debating between the '09 and '10 models. The updates, especially the 2.5L and 6-speed manual, are tempting. But the '09 with Sport Appearance Package is the best looking of all- either year!

I've found an '09 SE 4-cylinder, Sport Appearance Package, Sun/SYNC Package and Audiophile, 5-speed manual, in Vapor Silver. Sticker is $23,015 and I've got them down to $17,500 OTD!!! Sales Tax isn't included in that because it's located in another state. I'd have to pay that when I register the car here in GA. But it's still an awesome deal at $5500 under sticker......right?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    the SAP is a great deal, no matter what.
    overall, it's kind of an x-plan price, which is not bad. you could counter a bit lower. it can't hurt.
    My Fusion was purchased new. It is an 06 V6 SEL in silver frost. I have a sunroof and chrome package, black leather seats all options for Fusion in 06. the car now has about 43,000 miles. This car has been solid. All I have done is keep up the maintenance. At about 35,000 I had to put on new tires. Would I buy again? Yes. However, next time it is going to be a 4cyl SEL. Personally, I don't need a V6. I am reading the new 2.5 4cyl is a very good 4cyl. Smooth and refined.
    I paid $22,800 for a loaded 06 Fusion SEL v6. I got 0% financing also for 4 years. I thought I did really good. Sounds like prices have actually dropped on these vehicles. :cry:
    what tires did you have on your car and what did you replace them with?
    Tires I chose were a Bridgestone RE960AS pole position. I have had these tires since September. So far I am very happy with them. They handle and stick like glue and are pretty quiet at highway speeds. In light snow, 4" or less they are awesome. Rain, heavy rains are also a breeze. Made my Fusion feel like a new car!
    Tires I chose were a Bridgestone RE960AS pole position.

We have these on another vehicle, they handle very very well and seem to work well in light snow, as you mentioned. I haven't had a lot of rain experience with them yet. I hope they exhibit reasonable longevity,as they were a bit pricey, but so far the ride and handling make up for it. Its too bad the lower level Fusions take a grandma size tire (205/60R16) as opposed to the much much more common 205/55R16.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The SAP is a great deal- $895 for 18" wheels, sport suspension, rear spoiler, unique dash trim and the red/black interior. I can't decide whether the cloth or leather looks best with the SAP, though....

I'm still debating what to do. Do I want a 4-cylinder/manual or a V6 automatic?

I stopped by a dealership yesterday and saw a V6 SEL with the "Blue Suede Package".....sharp-looking exterior, but then I opened the door! :surprise:
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I'm also a fan of the SAP. I was hoping for the 2010 SE 2.5/manual/SAP combo. I thought one of the early reviews of the new model indicated that it was available. But the Ford configurator doesn't mention it. So maybe I'll go shopping for an '09 2.3 instead. The "dated" interior doesn't bother me, but I would prefer the extra power and mpg of the 2.5/manual combo over the '09 2.3.
    Shouldn't be that hard to do it yourself.
    Shouldn't be that hard to do it yourself.

Well, if I had a garage, and an engine hoist, and a good shop manual, and a donor vehicle, and. . .

Or perhaps you meant buying a 2010 model and adding the 18-inch wheel/tire combo and the suspension upgrades. :blush: That wouldn't be too difficult, it's true, but I would still miss out on the cool "black chrome" trim and the interior upgrades of the SAP.
    Yes, I meant adding the SAP bits to a 2010 model. You can do the black chrome trim and interior color pieces too - or get a shop to do it for you.
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    3.0 V6 240Hp 222 Torque 7.9 sec
    3.5 V6 263Hp 249 Torque 7.0 sec

3.0 V6 221hp 205 Torque 7.5-8 sec depending on who did the test drive

How is the newer model with more power and torque slower than the old one in the 3.0 and the 3.5 cant even crack the 6's with 263Hp. A 08 Malibu V6 with 252Hp and weighs more can hit 0-60 in 6.6. Ford has to be underestimating the numbers. 0-60 in 9.5 sec with 2.54cyl 175Hp?
    why is this a big deal? do you really think anyone going to drag race a fusion?
    I agree. I ordered a 2010 Fusion SEL with a 2.5L for the fuel economy not the 0-60 or quarter mile numbers. Style and economy, the new Fusion has both.