Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Mercury Montego

2»

Comments

• frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    Preface: I really like the design of the Montego. I really would like to drive one to try.

I for one like my big and bulky Grand Marquis.

I will stop on the way home tonight and pick up 3 - 40 lbs bags of fertilizer, 6 bags of rocks, 50 lbs each. With the air suspension in the rear, ride height is perfect.

I have used my cars to haul more than most trucks. For the record, you can put 14 bags of pine bark chips in the trunk!

For what I can't haul in the back, I put in the my trailer hauled by the Grand Marquis. I have hauled 2000 lbs. in stone with this car. Try that with a Accord.

Despite what the safety ratings say, my Grand Marquis and an Accord are not equal. If I hit an Accord head on at 60 mph, the Accord will not fair nearly as well.

The error of the testing you see on TV is that the momentum of each car is in proportion to is frame and body strength.

One item I love on the Grand Marquis is that to turn on all the interior lights, just push the light switch in. Every car should be this way. I hate reaching for 3 seperate switches in imports and then still not as much light.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The Grand Marquis is one of the safest vehicles out there, mainly due to it's body on frame construction, same found on many SUV's and Pick-ups. That's another reason police dept's prefer the Crown Vic, mainly because of that attribute. They are able to jump curbs, and push cars off the road because of the type of frame it has.

Currently, the only question being asked about their safety, is about the fuel tank. There's been 12 cases since 1984, where a Crown Vic has been hit by the back while parked, and it catching on fire. So far, Ford conducts rear impact tests that surpass the federal standard, and this vehicle did surpass it.

Common sense dictates, if your parked on the side of a highway (as cops do), and an SUV hits the rear of your vehicle at 70MPH, chances are it'll obviously burst into flames. My point of rebuttle is, Try doing the same with an Accord and Camry, and let's see how worse off the condition would be. Hence, it's NOT the vehicle itself that's a safety issue, it's the senario it's placed upon.

NHTSA conducted it's own tests, and stated the CrownVic, Grand Marquis ARE safe on rear impact tests. Yet, for the sake of a lawsuit, some will obviously argue against that.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "Despite what the safety ratings say, my Grand Marquis and an Accord are not equal. If I hit an Accord head on at 60 mph, the Accord will not fair nearly as well."

I would agree that the Grand Marq would sustain less damage than the Accord, but I'd be interested to see how well the Accord could protect a 50% male in a frontal offset against a Grand Marq, in terms of injury measures. Does the GM offer a collapsible steering column, multistage airbags, and seatbelt pretensioners with force limiters- ANT, can you tell me?

I think this would be an outsanding crash test.
    ~alpha
    Yes, it has that. It also has that airbag/seatbelt (Ford Personal Safety System) which measures how close someone is to the steering wheel, their weight, their placement, and the type of impact to measure the force of the airbag deployment.

New for this year I believe is lamited side glass, which helps prevent smash and grab robberies, as well as quiet the cabin a bit, and prevents flying glass incase of an accident.

A few months ago I saw one hit off-set a new Altima. Ouch. The Crown Vic's mental crunches upto the upper part of the wheel well, where as the Altima had everything crushed back and even the A-Pillar bent. The driver of the Altima had to be rushed off in the ambulance, whereas the Crown Vic's driver was walking around and waiting for a toq truck.

That's one vehicle I wouldn't like to get involved with. At least some SUV's are unibody are usually cause less damage because they absorb much more of the impact (over traditional Body On Frame)... But a body on frame passenger car can be just as bad as the truck versions.

Aggresive Driving Tip 101: The CrownVic's/Grand Marquis are favored by police dept's for being able to push vehicles off the road in case of a chase. But you can also make the vehicle in front of you flip as well. If the vehicle is a FWD , usually the left rear corner is the best place to "hold" the vehicle. (OR opposite to your closest curb- which can help it roll over).

Take your CV, pass the left side corner, jerk your steering wheel to the right and keep control as you accelerate and push into it's corner, then watch it flip. Corolla's, Camry's, Cavalier's, Neon's are some of the few one's that are easiest to flip from experience.

Being the CV/GM are RWD, you can also BUMP the rear of a vehicle any other vehicle, where they'll momentarily lose a bit of control for a few seconds if they are accelerating. They can counteract this by not accelerating as they get bumped, but they would need to keep their eye on the rear and ahead.

And if you want try to dissable the vehicle totally (using your CV/GM) and it's ok to cause damage to your own vehicle, always hit at the passenger side engine compartment. Most of the belts/electronics, and important hoses are found on that side on FWD vehicles. If it's RWD, it's a bit harder but usually the driver side of the engine compartment, has the location of the items that can dissable a vehicle quickly :)

Don't try this at home... BUT if you must :)
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    what do u mean you plead the 5th?
    OMG. LOL. LMAO.
    yeah, yeah I know what u mean
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    What do you think he means, LC? What does anybody mean when they plead the 5th? Why would you plead the 5th? I figured that out a month ago. I've just been trying to figure out what he does for Ford........ And I really enjoy his information. Don't go away, ANT!
    I assume you see the post I'm referring to.
    Something to note about total body & frame strength in a crash.
    In a front end crash, the impact on a Crown Vic is distributed by more than just the front motor mounts as in a front wheel drive car. Energy is transferred to the engine mounts, transmission mounts, through the drive shaft to the rear axle mounts and also adsorbed into the full frame ... with out ever affecting the driver compartment.

To crunch the driver compartment, you have to rip out the whole drive train and destroy a major portion of the frame.

Forget the collapsing steering column, give me a full frame and twice the mass.

Mass of the vehicle also helps with the ride characteristics.

If you add a 200 lb. man to a 5000 lb. vehicle, only a 4% change in total weight. Add a 200 lb. man to a 2000 lb vehicle, 10% change.

This new Montego has a lot to live up to.
    That's a good analogy, I'm glad more people are aware of the benefits of full frame vehicles. IN this age of crash-can vehicles, most have forgotten the benefits of body on frame vehicles.
    I got the toq-tow truck thing, I was referring to the post on pleading the 5th.
    Interesting points. I'm learning a lot about the auto industry from you. I feel that your Crown Vic/Altima situation is a bit circumstantial, and there are a lot of unknowns, such as speed, seatbelt usage, etc, but point taken.

Thanks for your continued info on this board.

~alpha
    ANT, what is pleading the 5th?????????
    DOES ANYONE AGREE??? I LOVE THE SEL PREMIUM WITH WOOD TRIM, WOOD STEERING WHEEL, AND YUMMY LEATHER.
  • hammyztshammyzts Member Posts: 9
    he means he is pleading the 5th amendment where he doesn't have to speak to defend himself for fear of incriminating himself. "You have the right to remain silent..."-this is is the 5th amendment. This whole thing is an expression. You don't get out much..
    I thought we covered this in 7th grade ...

As well as NOT saying:

" ... and you know"
    " ... and um ... and um ..."
    " ... it's like, you know .."
    Update: We are now seeing public life of the 3.5L Duratec V6 (Cyclone).

Detroit News has an article discussing it.
    http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0307/15/c01-218065.htm

This is the engine I mentioned months back would be offered on the 500/Montego/Fresstyle a year after it's introduction. Notice the time line as to when they will begin the engine production.

A correction on the article, the current 3.0L that will debut on these vehicles, will NOT have 200HP, it'll be a bit more than that.
    The Accord DOESNT use the 3.5L engine from the Pilot/Ody..

geez, get the facts straight, DET News.

~alpha
  • nurse_lunanurse_luna Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am new to this site and when I saw the picture Of this car, I just fell in-love with it. Does anyone know what the starting price might be. I want to start saving now and I need to know how much overtime I will have to work. I was going to buy a car this fall, but I am willing to wait for this car. Please someone help me with the info I am requesting. Thank you so much for any info anyone can give me.
    Sincerely,
    Nurse_luna
    So far prices have not been set, and it won't be set for quite awhile, but your looking at $25K-30K.
    Thank you so much for the pricing info on this car. Do you know if there are any other pictures some place that I can look at. I am really excited about this car. Is this car at auto shows? I am not a big car fan, so I have no idea about car shows and how they are handled. I would just love to see more pic on the interior of this beauty. My brother-in-law works for ford as did my father-in-law. But I don't talk to my brother-in-law very much. He lives about 300 miles away from us. Also, do you know how much room is in the car. Is it bigger then a sable? I was going to buy a mini van this fall, but after seeing this car I decided to wait and save as much as I could. Thank you so much for any additional info you have.
    Sincerely,
    Nurse_Luna
    No those are the only pictures so far have been shown throught out all the postts on this thread. If there's any pictures that are publically published, then chances are I already entered them onto this thread.

The vehicle will be larger than the Sable, it's interior volume will measure under the EPA's Full-size classification. The seating will be much more upright, and at butt level when you enter the vehicle. Meaning, you will sit up a bit higher than most other sedans. And as you read, it'll be offered in FWD and AWD versions, etc.

It's still a year away so you have time to save up for it.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    ANT-

You said $25-30K pricing on the Montego...will the Ford 500 be cheaper, or are they going to price them side-by-side and rely on a different "image" to differentiate the two cars?

-Andrew L
    Dear ANT14,
      Again, thank you for the info you have provided to me. I use to drive a Grand Marquis and I really loved all the room I had in it. Will the Montego be more like that in size? Also, was this at an auto show?...or will it be and when? Thank you so much for all the info you have given me. Hope you have a great weekend.
    Sincerely,
    Nurse_Luna
    Andrew, it'll be priced in the same way current Mecury's are. They are generally a bit more equipped than their Ford counterparts, but if you were to load a Five-Hundred, the same way as a Montego, the price would be almost the same.

Nurse Luna, a prototype has not yet hit the autoshow circuit, but look for it to possible be displayed at the next round of auto showers at the end of this year/beginning of next year. Yes the interior will be sized as a Full-size, just like the Grand Marquis, but the exterior will not be as huge and bulky as the Grand Marquis.

The Grand Marquis is quite a bit long because of it's platform, the type of platform, etc. and the packaging is rather unefficient. Whereas the 500/Montego's packaging is much more trim... like the Focus, the interior dimensions are maximized, while keeping trim exterior dimensions.
    Futura/Murderer (LOL, I'll call it that until they name it)? Will these be in the $20-25K range?
    No the range will be $25K-30K roughly. The size class is Fullsize.
    You already said the 500/Montego would be in the $25-30K range. Will the Futura/Murderer be $20-25K and mid-size?
    Yes, although the range will be greater than just $5K from base to, higher trim model. It'll be competitive to other offerings at that time.
    Hi, ANT14,
       Thank you so much for all the info you have provided to me, I really appreciate it. Do you work for Ford? As I said before, my brother-in-law works for ford, and so did my father-in-law before he retired. Next time I see my brother-in-law I will ask him if he knows anything about the Montego. I just don't know when that will be. Have you ever gone to ebay motors? They have alot of older model cars that are for sale. By the way my Husband had a Montego , He said, about 30(thirty) years ago and just love it. I am going to have a hard time waiting for this car to become available. Anyways, thanks again so much for all the info you have posted and since you Created this thread, for introducing me to the 2005 Montego.
    Sincerely,
    Nurse_Luna
    Glad I could help. Check every so often, I'll be posting more info as it becomes available.
    A question is being directed to you in the Explorer Sport Trac discussion.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    My mother used to own a 1975 Mercury Montego sedan that she bought it used in 1980 for about $2,000. She kept this car for twelve years until a car hitted her Montego in an intersection traffic light area. The rear end was smashed badly but the car still ran well after the accident. Because of the high cost of repairing the body, although it was still running with a working air-conditioner, my parents agreed to put this car in the junkyard in 1992. To tell you the truth, I was only eight years old at that time, and I did not know well of this car.

I remember that this car had a hard time starting every morning everyday when my mom backed her car out from the garage to take me to elementary school. It often leaked some oil. This car actually had power windows, air-conditioning, rear power window lock switch, defroster, and etc... Not sure if it had power door locks. This 1975 Montego sure was pretty well innovated with latest technology. Very few 1975 cars have rear power window lock-switch and air-conditioning unlike today. There were few repairs required in the 1975 Mercury Montego. Some rust did occur but not too noticable.

My mom replaced her car to a 1990 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon. Besides my mom's previous car, can anybody tell me what is special about Mercury Montego? Mercury claimed that the Montego was a powerful name in the past. Would love to hear what is special about Montego? Thanks for your help.

Walter Chan
    Walter - I didn't think it was that special myself. It was a Mercury upgrade to the
    Ford Torino, and came with some more options usually, and better seats, but it wasn't a champion performer. I'm glad yours was dependable into the later years. They did have great air conditioners that lasted forever, that's true. The motors were strong and durable. Weak spots were the air pumps and emission controls would fail. Carburators and chokes were problematic in later years of life. Mileage wasn't great. But generally, they ran for a long time with minimal problems.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    nvbanker: I'm really surprised you mentioned that the air-conditioner does last forever in old Montegos. I always thought that the Montego air-conditioner would break down fast as most of the older Ford vehicles are prone to have many AC problems that were worser than Chrysler and GM. I have no clue if the air conditioner failed before. How can you prove that the AC did last forever? Was it better than Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant? Would love to hear it.

Walter Chan
    I can add to this. I have a friend who has an 86 Cougar 5.0, with over 260K miles, and he is still on the original A/C. Nothing A/C wise has failed, and we are talking about humid Miami heat. And I'm surprised at how well it cools, much better than some of todays midsize sedan A/C's. Of course, he does routinly changed the
    "freon" (He hasn't switched, nor plans to, to R134) and also adds a bit of compressor oil as well to lubricate.

I have read some positive feedback over the A/C installed in those generations Cougar/Tbird/Mustang fitted with the 5.0.
    My father drove cars for a living in sales. He put about 30,000 a year on a car. He had a 78 LTD II, that I bought from my mother when he died, in 83 and drove two more years. I can guarantee you that the A/C never was even charged, let alone have any parts replaced in 7 years. I sold it to my attorney in 85, and he kept it until 1988, and never serviced the A/C either. So for the first 10 years of its life, it cooled its living guts out in Las Vegas 115 degree summers with no service. Dad's experience with Ford A/C in that genre was that the compressors would last consistently over 100,000 miles, and rarely would they need service, or even a charge. So, I don't get this old wive's tale about Ford having inferior air. I have little experience with Chrysler, but GM never had air IMO that would rival a Ford, in longevity, or in performance. Now, I did have a 76 Pinto that had a noisy compressor and a leak, but it worked great when it was charged. It was my only problem Ford A/C.

My conclusion therefore is that, generally, Fords had very competent A/C. Frankly, I think they still have the best A/C in the business, except in the Town Car.
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    Lincoln is already planning to cancel production of the Aviator in 2005. Has Ford ever thought of phasing out the two, since ratings are very low... and not much people are looking up to them these days?

Mercury is going to have a tough time convincing buyers that buying the Monterey minivan this Fall is any different than buying a Ford Freestar. There gonna have the same problems with the Mariner SUV and the Monterey. Is it worth it?
    Incorrect, at no time has Ford, or Lincoln officials stated that the Aviator would die for 2005. This story was based on speculation due to a factory (St.Louis) being closed (as planned). Days later at a conference, Ford's Scheele was asked about that report, and mentioned it wasn't true. While there is a SUV/Crossover being planned for Lincoln, it has a different mission than the current Aviator.

As for Monterey and Mariner, it's not hurting any to offer dressed up Ford's for them. Mercury's best sales were in years where such a product range existed. If other manufacturer's can pull it off, it will not hurt Mercury/Lincoln dealerships any.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    I think GM could follow Fords strategy with Olds, just make it rebadged Chevies. Chevy looks too bland and interior has pretty cheap feeling. Many people wouldn't buy Chevy just because of that cheapo image. Basically Mercury is not mechanically different from Ford, but still looks more upscale and more subtle. If Old was just more upscale Chevy with more elegant and upscale look it would be winner. There is nothing that GM can offer. Chevy is too plain. Pontiac is for gen X,Y,Z.... Caddy is too into face and too expensive. Buick is geriatric like Toyota. The only thing left is SAAB and it is too expensive. I don't consider Saturn because it is econobox department.
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    ANT14, That was about a week ago or so. I didn't know Ford had reported differently.

upsetter, I feel that you don't like GM vehicles, but I do. I don't really like Ford vehicles but like to keep up to date with the new vehicles they are making. Ford should be a good example for GM at this time. It is a good idea what you think GM should do with Oldsmobile, but I personally think that General Motors has too much upscale vehicles (olds, buick, cadillac) They need to revise some of there models like how they are right now. Now that GM is phasing out Oldsmobile to do this to GM rooms:

1)Saturn- Entry Level Vehicles
    2)Chevrolet- Value Priced Vehicles
    3)Buick- Middle Upscale Vehicles
    4)Cadillac- Expensive upscale vehicles

This will do a lot good to GM, upsetter. The Olds idea is great, but I don't think GM is going to follow Ford. Ford needs to make Lincoln more upscale (in my opinion) and let Merc fill in the other gap that Lincoln left.
    Not a bad lineup. Where's Pontiac though?
This discussion has been closed.