Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner

Comments

• jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 35
    I was told it is 1000 miles.
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 35
    From the manual:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
    Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
    continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
    new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
    moving parts a chance to break in.
    Drive your new vehicle at least 500 miles (800 km) before towing a
    trailer.
    Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils during
    the first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation, since these
    additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
    Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
    usage.
  • clariosclarios Member Posts: 19
    Yes. The sticker price and incentives/rebates are available on the internet. But the employee prices are not. That's what I was wondering about. I got a reply on messate 394 by nesa_ofc with that infor. (thanks)
    I stand corrected... when I checked before, the employee pricing was not available at mercuryvehicles.com. Now it is.
  • vanz73vanz73 Member Posts: 3
    There are several after market systems recent on the market that work through a special "cd changer" connection on the back of the radio - Word is they work well with the MACH unit. I took the following approach because the MACH head unit is weak on the readout part of satellite radio.

I installed a XM Radio SkyFi2 unit using a fm modulator that runs in line with the MACH radio antenna lead. I set the skyfi 2 unit over the small storage bin in front of the gear shift (when the vehicle is in drive you have unobstructed access). I like XM radio -- ACC basketball live. The SkyFi2 has a "tivo" like feature in that it is always recording up to the last 30 minutes of whatever you are listening to. You can both pause and go back with this unit. In terms of installation. I placed the satellite antenna on the back of the roof and fed the wire under the back lift door's rubber weather seal. I than slipped it under the moulding running down the side of the vehicle, under the passenger seat and under the center console. The console lifts off (spring clips). Be careful, there is a trim plate (chromed plastic) around the gear shift - It will lift off too when you lift the center console top (work it free once it has lifted a little bit - four zigzag type friction taps about 1 1/2 inches long). Than return to lift the center console plate - it is tricky sliding it off the parking brake. I mounted the FM modulator (delphi part S10003 or similar) and removed the MACH radio by going to circuit city and having one of their techs use the special tools to remove it (Bonus comment about Circuit City - they volunteered to do this for free and I drove it home with it slightly popped out to finish my install). Connect the red power line to the switched power supply going into the radio (I used a simple circuit testor to find it). Hook up the rest of the leads. I drilled a hole in the front wall of the small bin to feed the satellite antenna lead, the power lead and the audio out. This really works well - I have great satellite sound going into my MACH radio.
  • flasvtflasvt Member Posts: 64
    It does exists and I have in on my Mariner, is made by Visteon. Is quite expensive so I did purchase the tuner and antenna on eBay and had it installed privately. Works great and I really enjoy Sirius. I don;t like to have aftermarket units glued to the dash so this was the only way to go for me.
  • tcsinytcsiny Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have an 05 Mariner and have the power steering and valve of the power steering going out on them. I am up to 3 times. I am totally frustrated and want out of this car. I have made countless phone calls to the dealer and to the Mercury Customer Support Center and have gotten no where. I am forced to file a lemon law complaint.
    Any feedback or experience with similar problems would be greatly appreciated.
    Tara
    Staten Island, NY
  • si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    I am looking at a Mercury Mariner 2005 here in Louisiana to replace the wife's flooded Jeep by this weekend. So far I see the '05's have the best rebates. Is the employee price that they advertise after these rebates are applied? I am looking at an 05 with the following options:

REAR CARGO CONVENIENCE PKG
    INTERIOR CARGO MANAGEMENT SYS
    RETRACTABLE CARGO COVER
    POWER MOONROOF WITH SHADE
    ROOF RACK WITH CROSSBARS
    MINI-OH CONSOLE W/BIN & MAP LIGHTS
    FULL SIZE SPARE WHEEL/TIRE
    TRAILER TOWING, CLASS II
    DYNAMIC SIDE IMPACT PACKAGE
    SAFETY CANOPY & SIDE AIR BAGS
    PREMIUM LEATHER TRIM (BLACK)

TOTAL MSRP $27,415.00
    EMPLOYEE PRICE $24,511.79
    CASH BACK ($1,000.00)

Sorry for the ALL CAPS nortsr1. Can I do better than this Merc Family Price or is this price non negotiable? They also mention an "extra $1000 in clearance cash" but I think that is the same cash back incentive listed above.

If anyone has had experience with buying a Mariner lately please let me know about it and why you choose Mariner over the Escape and Tribute.

Also is the rear parking sensor something that can be added later or is it factory installed only?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    You probably won't do much better than the emplyee pricing along with the rebate. It might be possible they are offering a$1000.00 finance incentive if you go thru FOMCO...but I am not certain. That extra $1000.00 clearance cash ( I don't know what that $1000.00 clearance cash is all about (it might be some mfg. to dealer cash that is being offered to Lincoln Mercury dealers).
    I happen to own a 2005 Mercury Mariner that I purchased back in January. At that time, there was a $2000.00 rebate, a $500. hurricane incentive, plus I am a member of the EAA which qualifies me for X-Plan pricing (not quite as good as Employee pricing), so I am telling you your deal sounds pretty darn good to me.
    I have never averaged under 20 miles per gallon (and I use the A/C faithfully) and on several trips from Florida to Nj and back, I averaged 25 to 26 mpg. I can honestly say it is the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned (fingers crossed). Except for the normal routine maintenance, it has had ZERO problems.
    Sounds as though you are getting the top of the line Mariner. Go for it! Stop asking "Can I do better" This is a great deal....and yes...I forgive you for again using those big bad Caps!!!
    I think that Emplyee pricing is over in a couple of days, and then you will kick your own butt by "hesitating". He who hesitates is lost!!!!!!!
  • si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for your input nortsr1. We are going to get this one on Sat. I too will be getting a $750 Katrina rebate. You are correct, the $1,000 clearance cash is if financing thru the FMCC. So with that incentive plus the $1,000 rebate and the $750 hurricane, it would total $2,750 in rebates. If I don't use FMCC than I'd add back $1000. Either way my out the door 'employee' price including TTL and all fees is $23,818 with all rebates applied.

The one I am looking at is white exterior with black leather interior. Since I too live in the South I am a bit concerned that the black leather seats will be super hot if the vehicle has been sitting in the sun. I really like this one because of its side airbags option since the wife and kids will be mostly in this vehicle. What kind of Mariner did you buy and which options did you end up with or wish you had? Do you have the SIRIUS?

Thanks again.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I know mine already had the tinted factory OEM window, plus I bought a silver type coated reflective front windshield doohickie at Pep Boys for around ten bucks (they come in several sizes, so measure the "height area" of the inside of your windshield) (it reflects the suns rays and helps quite a bit when "parked" (do not try when driving) (That's a joke). If the windows are not "tinted enough for your satisfaction, just go to a local "Tint" shop (plenty of them down South) and they can do the job for about $150.00. Just make sure it is the legal tint % for your state. They will know.
    I did not have Sirius, but did have the side airbags, and all the other goodies (leather, etc.)
    P:S. Glad to hear you are getting it. Good luck and many, many safe and enjoyable miles.
  • lukeinwilukeinwi Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 Mariner Luxury with the Luxury Enhancement package, which gave me a radio with a 6-disc changer. The version of the radio I received was the MP3-capable, satellite-ready version (the one listed as "late availability" in the owner's manual). After I got the Mariner home, I took out the owner's manual and went over it, feature by feature, to get familiar with the vehicle. Unfortunately, I discovered that I could not access the RDS feature (which all Mariner 6-disc changers are supposed to have, according to both the manual and internal sales materials) and that the speed-sensitive volume didn't work (although I could access it and adjust the settings, but with no effect on the volume at any speed).

To make a long story shorter, after visits to two L-M dealers and a call to the Mercury hotline, I was told that although the correct radio was installed, the vehicle was wired with a 16-pin connector for the radio unit, and a 24 pin connector is required for the RDS and speed-sensitive volume to function. (The back of the radio unit has both 16- and 24-pin sockets.) The first dealer also showed me a Mariner from earlier in the production run that had the non-satellite/non-MP3 6-disc changer, and the RDS worked fine (speed sensitive volume wasn't available with that version of the radio).

I can only come to two conclusions: either my car was wired incorrectly, or Mercury decided to install "upgraded" radios without upgrading the wiring, knowing they would then not have full functionality. (Although in this competitive age where quality is so important, I can't imagine purposely installing wiring for the radio so that a driver is able to access and "adjust" the speed-sensitive volume, but with no effect... to say nothing of the missing RDS. You're just inviting frustration...)

Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone else has had (or heard of) this problem, and what they've done about it. I'm having a hard time finding information about it(both dealers I talked to have never dealt with anything like this before), so whatever help or advice any of you might have would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • bhojwanibhojwani Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem with the power steering. It has failed twice on me in 4 months (since I bought the car). First time, there was a lot of noise coming from the engine and they replaced the entire power steering system (this was in the first month that I bought the car). Second time, I was on a highway driving at 65 mph and the power steering failed on me. Can you please advise how did you go about filing a companit with Mercury? I don't want to drive this car ever again.

Dilip
    Houston, TX
  • vetomercuryvetomercury Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Mercury Mariner in July 05 and have had it in the shop for 30 days for a rattling noise located in the front right of the vehicle. The dealership & engineers were looking at the steering mechanism & were unable to locate the problem. They told me the noise was under investigation & they would have to re-design the power steering return line. To date they have not figured out the source of the problem. On 11/13/05, my power steering failed. The belt was shredded & the dealership is trying to convince me that it was a faulty belt. I truely believe the Mariner has a faulty steering system.
  • vetomercuryvetomercury Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the same problem. Refer to #421. Have you filed any complaints through Ford Motor Company? Recently I sent out letters to various consumer complaint sites because the Ford Customer Complaint Hotline is useless!! I would love to get rid of this truck....it has been a nightmare since the day I drove off the lot!!! Any Luck?

Jeanine
    Long Island, NY
  • dgluntdglunt Member Posts: 1
    OK Larry,I own a 05 Mariner and last week I had a remote starter installed. I went to a audio store in town. IT cost me 302.00 it took about 3hrs. I love it. the only problem I have is that they replace your fac. remote with theirs it locks and unlocks but if your engine is'nt running when you use their remote to unlock your horn will start to blow.When that happins I just start the car with the remote.By the way the remote has a 3 year warrenty, 2 remotes. and a 1000 foot range they also duplacted a key so I still have my spare. Good luck
    Dave glunt
  • justincase2005justincase2005 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 4WD Premier Mariner. I wanted to make sure my heated seats are working properly. The manual states the heated seats will turn off after 10 minutes or when you turn off your car. Mine doesn't do either of those. I don't care about the 10 minutes but when you turn off your car and then turn it on again, the seats should be off until you decide to turn it on again. Can anyone tell me how their seats work?

Also, I can't find it in the manual, but my Mariner doesn't have the auto lock door feature. I am talking about the doors automatically locking when you put the car in gear and start to drive. I love this feature but can't seem to get a straight answer from the dealership. They told me maybe it has to be programmed, but they also said not all Mariners came with this feature. They were going to look into it but I haven't heard from them. They tried a few Mariners on the lot and they all had the feature, but mine doesn't. I think it is strange that a Premier doesn't have this. Does anyone out there not have this feature on theirs.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
  • rdowneyrdowney Member Posts: 10
    I also have a 2005 4WD Premier, and it works exactly like yours. The heated seats remain on until they are turned off, and there is no auto lock feature.
    I just found out from my dealer that earlier models had the feature of the heated seats turning off after 10 minutes. But for later models, they changed something with the seats so we don't have that feature. I'm disappointed because I can't tell if the passenger seat is on. There should be something on the dashboard telling us when the seats are on.

Thanks for your response.
  • lyqdqlyqdq Member Posts: 1
    I just get my 06 Luxury Forward, one thing worries me is that when I turn the key, (right before fire the engine,) the message center displays a message of “service emission sys”, the warning message disappeared after the ignition. The message, according to the manual, is displayed when “the engine has been defaulted to “limp-home” operation”. Does anyone have any ideas what does that suppose to mean? I took it back to the dealership and they told me it is fine as far as the message doesn’t show when the engine is on, but I am still not totally convinced. Any advice, please.
    I have a 2005 Mariner Premier and I have the same message. My dealer told me the same thing as you heard. I have 10,000 miles on it and so far there haven't been any problems. Hopefully we are okay. Let us know if you find out any other information.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I will say, the Lexus dealer has nothing on the Lincoln-Mercury dealer in the Service department, other than outrageous prices and a much nicer waiting room with bigger TV. They are pretty much equal in the service. Both offer free loaners (although with Lexus, they buy the gas too), the Lincoln dealer will get me in faster. But that's about the only difference I see.
  • sarakay54022sarakay54022 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Mercury Mariner. I live in MN and need to scrape my windows when it gets cold out. I just noticed after scrapping the windows that I have scratches everywhere on the tinted windows. Has anyone else had this? How do I fix this?
  • mikewmikew Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    My wife purchased a 2005 mariner last July and from the get go had a problem with the car pulling to the left. We waited 8 months for an "engineering" fix only to be told the truck needed new tires. They replaced the tires with Michelon cross terrain SUV tires (originally had Continental tires) last week and the truck still pulls to the left. The dealership here (in Michigan) has 15-20 other mariner's with the same problem. They have been working with an engineer here in Dearborn Michigan. When we were told it was a known problem and engineering was working on a solution and the dealership was waiting on parts I assumed it would be mechanical and not a tire swap. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Mike...
    First I've heard of it. I have 2 Mariners, they don't do it.
    Are they AWD mariners? We were told it was only affecting 2WD mariners. I have some Ford people looking into it for me as I'm starting to get a little frustrated.
    No, they're both 2WD. They were bought several months apart also, they are V-6's.
    We have a 2WD v-6 as well. I had the service manager out to our house last night and we test drove. He agrees the car still pulls. We swapped cars and he's supposed to meet with a local engineer today and test drive with him. I was told our dealer had 35 vehicles with the same problem which Ford said was a tire issue. They've replaced tires on all 35 vehicles but we are the first to return with the same problem. I'm supposed to get a call from the engineer this afternoon, I'm curious to see what he thinks after driving the car.

I'm curious. If you don't mind sharing. When were your two purchased and what brand/model tires do you have.

Thanks,
    Mike...
    Sure, the Brown one was purchased last November, around Thanksgiving, and the Green one was purchased just in March. Pretty sure they both have Continental tires, but I'll check tomorrow (they're used for my business, and my couriers take them home, so I don't have access to them right now). But they get driven hard, every day, and not all that carefully. You'd think if there's a systemic or engineering problem, I could demonstrate it. Continental tires are junk, IMO, but I'll burn them off. On my personal cars, I prefer Michelin or BF Goodrich.
    Well they re-aligned the car again and it appears to have helped, my only concern is they've over adjusted it to compensate for the pull. I finally got to talk to the engineer and he said they did have a production run problem with the tires (wouldn't say when) and it only impacted a relatively small number of vechicles. I'll be taking it in to my own garage and having them check it out to make sure everything is okay and there will be no long term problems.

You are right, the continental tires are junk. I had them on my Expedition and couldn't wait to replace them. The Michelin tires they put on the mariener are much better tires.

Appreciate the feedback/info,
    Mike...
  • guitarchrisguitarchris Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I just bought an 06 Mariner Premier and after driving with the radio on for about a half hour it starts to make a strange humming noise (it almost sounds like it is trying to read a cd but will do this even without a cd in it). If I turn the radio off it sill makes the sound and it is coming from the unit itself and not the speakers. If I shut the car off it still makes the sound (although it changes in pitch) and then stops once I open the door. I can not imagine anyone else has had this problem but I figured I would ask. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like you need a new head unit for your Stereo System. The actual radio isn't in the dash, it's in a panel somewhere in the back, but the CD drive is behind the radio panel, and you need a new one. If you can demonstrate the noise to a service writer, take it in - they'll give you a new one. I went through 4 of them once in my Navigator before I got one to work right. Then, just my luck, I turned in the truck shortly thereafter!
    Actually, it's not the need for a new head unit for the stereo system. I went through this problem, and took months to resolve. Initially, Ford Engineering (a resource that the dealer's service department has) said that the stereo worked as designed. The noise is made by the cooling fan. Below is a copy of my original post (#343), with the information for the solution. Also, I mentioned at the end of that post that I would try to get the bulletin #. I was not able to get it. If it helps, Lincoln Mercury of Bellevue (in Bellevue, WA) is the dealer that fixed this for me. If your dealership is not aware of the solution (which is likely), they can contact this other dealership. They mentioned to me that they would make sure all their people know about this solution, since Ford is not providing the information. So they can help your dealer out.

------------------

My latest update on the high-pitched noise coming from the MACH 300 stereo...

Visteon, the manufacturer of the MACH series of stereos, issued a nation-wide bulletin to all its service centers about this problem. The service centers should take out the stereo's cooling fan, which is the culprit. Visteon has apparently done enough testing to know that removing the cooling fan will NOT cause over-heating. So now I need to take my Mariner to the dealer. They will take out the stereo, and the service center will pick it up on the same day (luckily, there is a service center in the same city, and the stereo slides out by pressing on a couple of pins). They said I should have it back in 2-3 days.

Now, here is something I thought was interesting... Visteon, as I have found out, is actually owned by Ford. This being the case, why did the dealership not know about this? Even worse, when the dealer called the engineering hot line for dealerships in Michigan, why did they say that that there was nothing they could do because that was how the stereo was designed? Ford, Mercury, Visteon... all one company. Yet, one doesn't know what the other one is doing. I had to dig deep on my own to get this resolved.

BTW, I will try to get the Visteon bulletin number and post it here, in case others have to go through this.
    I have owned tons of Fords, and I wish I could believe this explanation.... but I don't.
  • platedusterplateduster Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a steering problem with a Mercury Mariner 06, mine pulls or drifts only to the left, it doesn’t matter which speed I’m going. The local Mercury dealer has identified that it does pull/drift, but a regional rep says he couldn’t identify that a problem exists. After driving for 30/40 miles my wrist gets sore from pulling the wheel to the right. Any feedback would be appreciated
    You're not alone, I'm afraid. My Green Mariner drifts a little, but I don't drive it, my Courier does. So we aren't making an issue of it. But my brown one doesn't do it, and they are identical units.
    Yes, see my posts from around April 18th. My wife's mariner pulled to the left from the day see took delivery. It took from September of 2005 until the first part of April 2006 to get the fix. From what we were told by our dealership and the regional ford manager there was a production run which introduced bad radial tires. Ford knew there was a problem but was very slow to react and wouldn't really say what it was (We were originally told it was a mechanical problem) They ended up replacing our continental tires (crap tires) with Michelon cross terrain SUV tires. It took a couple alignments after the tire swap but the problem did go away. Since we got such a run-around from Ford we took the car to our local mechanic after the fix to verify it wasn't a suspension problem or something similar. The vehicle checked out and has been driving great since then. I suspect that Ford wasn't excited about another tire fiasco which is why they were so secretive.
    You are sure right about the Continental-General tires being crap..... My experience with them has been awful. I usually switch to Michelins myself. Although the Dunlaps on my Lexus have been good as well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Mercury Mariner: MPG-Real World Numbers discussion and report on your gas mileage. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • traylorootrayloroo Member Posts: 3
    I no longer buy Mercury .... (slow learner ... had many). The reason was the uneven front tire wear. The left front tire, left side as I recall, would wear down, leaving yet a lot of tread on the other side. I complained and complained to the dealer ... who replied: "We checked your tires, they are set at factory specs ...."
    A shade tree mechanic gave me a logical answer, had to do with the turning set-up. Also, had to do with the crown in the highway, while driving on the straight away ... I had to pull left on the steering wheel .... hour after hour.
    I am surprised to read here that they haven't been smart enough to correct that problem. Until reading here, I was almost tempted to yield, and return to Mercury. But, now at age 88 ... I better not wait any longer for Mercury to correct this fault ...
  • crazygreencrazygreen Member Posts: 6
    i know the ford escape-merucyr mariner history...
    but i must say i love the mercury mariner, the desig is more elegant and modern than the escape, i love this car. ;)
    And I do have the slight pull to the left in both of them, however, it's the tires, not the car. And I don't know what trayleroo is talking about. I've driven Fords, Lincolns, Mercurys since 62, and have never had a chronic tire wear issue in over 30 cars, UNLESS the front end went out of alignment. Aligning the car fixed it every time.
    The Mercury-Ford dealer insisted the alignment was at factory specs. I insisted the car was pulling left .... and that the left side of the left tire showed wear, while there was yet a lot of tread depth on the rest of the tire. After about three or four cars ... I gave up. Otherwise, I would still be driving Mercury.
    Was it three or four? I can tell you exactly how many I've had that didn't pull....22.
  • donbarondonbaron Member Posts: 13
    Mike. My Mariner Hybrid also pulls left a tad. (Nothing that the weight of my hands on the wheel will offset.) Keep me posted on what Engineering has to say, For the meantime, I guess a head on with a tree is just as bad as a Head On with an oncomming car!! Don PS The Vehicle is so responsive anyhow; I really need to tend to the wheel vs. other vehicles I have owned.
    See my last reply (a few messages above this one). Turned out to be a tire issue. Once they switched to new Michelon tires and did a alignment the problem went away. I had our local mechanic check everything out just to make sure it wasn't a bigger problem that what they said it was and everything checked out. I've heard of other Mariner owners with the same problem.
    I had two Sable wagons, a total of about 200,000 + miles, both pulled left and the left front tire wore down. I rotated tires, the dealer insted front end was alligned to factory specs .... but that left front tire wore down on the left side leaving me with lots of tread on the middle and right side.
  • maskellojmaskelloj Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 Mariner and I feel a vibration in the gas pedal between 35-40 mph and 45-50 mph. I brought it back to the dealer and had a mechanic look at it. He verified the problem and thought it was the drive shaft. I made an appt, left the car, and got a phone call saying they couldn't find anything wrong -all the 2007 models do it. I don't agree. I test drove 2 others before making my purchase and never felt it. Regardless, a brand new car shouldn't have a vibration! If anyone has had a similar experience or can offer any help/suggestions that would be appreciated.
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    Anyone have an issue with the engine knocking? More so when using a summer blend of gas?
    I have had the problem pretty much all along but not every tank. When it's been at the dealer of course it's been fine. :sick: It is more noticeable to me going uphill and way more noticeable in the summer.
    The dealer told me to bring it in when it's happening. I tried explaining that it is not a constant thing. But they said it hasn't tripped any codes so they cant tell anything.
    What's weird is how in any given tank it will do it or not.
    Like I said it is not a constant thing.
    Yes - I have 2 05 Mariners, and they both do it. However, it's a trace knock, not a hard knock, and the dealer says it's "normal" for that particular Mazda engine to do that from time to time. Actually, I believe him. I'm ok with it, but I know some people won't be, it'll bother them. The knock-sensor in the engine is set to allow optimum spark advance when needed, and this will give you trace knock. We have found that changing gasoline octane levels doesn't make a difference.

The good news is, your engine is running very efficiently - the bad news, it'll knock sometimes. Turn up the radio? That's what I tell my drivers to do....