Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?

Comments

• bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    I would love to see Mazda be the one to bring the truly-compact pick-up back to America.

There are about half a dozen compact pickups that could show up here the day after the free trade agreement with Thailand goes through. Of course, Ford could simply import some Mazda knock-down kits and assemble those here to get around the chicken tax, but that would require some actual forethought.

And it was sad news when they decided not to try to sell the Mazda2 here. They are going to let Ford try to do so under the Ford brand instead?

I wonder if it's a matter of factory capacity? The 3 is constrained by production limits, and the US market only gets a small allocation of Honda Fits (which will most likely continue until the Indiana plant opens).
  • dsiriasdsirias Member Posts: 34
    Yeah the Elantra is really a nice car and I have sat in one but have never driven it.

I have a Mazda6 on order. My lady friend pays for and drives a new Elantra 07 Limited. What you get for the relatively small price is incredible. The stereo is fantastic. I ask her to drive it just so I can hear things on my cd's that I've never heard before. I think it's very quiet, more quit than my old Mazda6, and its breaks are superb. The clutch takes some getting used to , and its not a dragster f course, but overall its very fun to drive, comfotable, with excellent mpg. Love those less than $40 fill-ups. These days that's good.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Speaking of which, I would love to see Mazda be the one to bring the truly-compact pick-up back to America. Heck, if they can sell a microvan, why not a real compact pick-up (Ranger, of course, is ducking out for good some months hence here)? Again, they would be in a class of one, unless Ford wanted to pick it up and sell it as a Ford as well (which wouldn't be a bad idea for Ford, IMO).

That's one of the rumors that I've heard. In place of the Ranger, Ford is considering importing a small truck, possibly the Ford Courier from Brazil, the Ute from Australia and the Mazda BT-50 built in Thailand. Of course, it would have to make financial sense...

As for Mazda, I don't think ANY pickup fits their brand image, let alone a compact pickup. Besides, excluding the Tacoma, the compact pickup market is dwindling, from 800,000 sold in 2002 to just 611,000 last year, and sales are down 10% overall this year so far.

Despite gas prices, pickups are bought for their payload and towing, and since entry-level full-size models can haul/tow much more than compacts, getting about the same fuel economy, for the same price, it's a wonder they're selling at all.

I don't even know why Mazda has kept the B-series as long as they have. I haven't seen a single one on the local dealer lot, and it's probably because of a lack of demand.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes I read those same statistics in a recent issue of Autoweek. But consider that in the last two years ALL the truly compact pick-ups have gone away to be replaced by "midsize" pick-ups that were close in size and price to their full-size brethren. Maybe this is part of the reason that midsize truck sales have declined, too much overlap with the bigger trucks?

I wouldn't mind seeing Toyota AND Mazda bring compact trucks back to America. I bet sales would be good.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Mazda sold 25,671 units compared to last years 23,700(estimated number) and Mazda sales are up 152K this year vs 140K last year. The 3 is up saleswise 20.7 percent from 51k sold last year YTD to 62K sold this year. The CX-7 sold 4k units last month for a total of 20K for the year. A new 6 will be coming out but face tough competition with new Accord coming out. Mx-5 Miata is selling good.

One question: why Did Mazda have to style the Tribute because the style looked like a 1996 Mazda just with a boxier look. Why couldn;t have Mazda styled a much sleeker looking Tribute? Why couldn;t the stylists at Mazda incorporate styling cues from the CX-7 and Cx-9 in some sort of way with the Tribute? The new Tribute just doesn;t look the way a Mazda should look. The last gen Tribute looks so much better to me than the new one and as a Mazda fan I was looking foward to the 08 Trib but don;t like it.
    One question: why Did Mazda have to style the Tribute because the style looked like a 1996 Mazda just with a boxier look. Why couldn;t have Mazda styled a much sleeker looking Tribute? Why couldn;t the stylists at Mazda incorporate styling cues from the CX-7 and Cx-9 in some sort of way with the Tribute? The new Tribute just doesn;t look the way a Mazda should look. The last gen Tribute looks so much better to me than the new one and as a Mazda fan I was looking foward to the 08 Trib but don;t like it.

Thank Ford for that one. IMO, Ford could've blown the competition out of the water with a new Escape/Tribute, with a more-competitive drivetrain, better ergonomics, and better styling. Instead, they wimped out and only reskinned the existing platform and carried over everything else. Mazda is limited on their influence, since it's an existing vehicle, and it's hard to make something out of nothing...
    "Thank Ford for that one. IMO, Ford could've blown the competition out of the water with a new Escape/Tribute, with a more-competitive drivetrain, better ergonomics, and better styling. Instead, they wimped out and only reskinned the existing platform and carried over everything else. Mazda is limited on their influence, since it's an existing vehicle, and it's hard to make something out of nothing... "

I predict that the Escape will lose ground to the Honda CR-V(witch it alrighty is in a big way) and the RAV 4 pretty soon in the compact SUV sales race. Man the last gen Tribute was best in its class I thought or at least a big time contender in its class even though the sales numbers probably wouldn;t reflect it. I know the last gen Escape sold well but the interior was cheap and the styling of the last gen Escape wasn;t was as good as the last gen Tribute. The last gen Escape was a good truck but was missing the good stuff that the last gen Tribute had.
    I was just looking at JD Powers car brands reliability in 3 year old models(2004) and Mazda was ranked 5th or 6th from the last(worst brand) on the survey. Thats bad for Mazda but I think the bad result in that survey was from the RX-8 and its first year bugs that brought down Mazda score as a brand score. JD Powers just doesn;t seem to like Mazda. Usually Mazda does better in Consumer Reprots than they do in JD. Jd only ranks the Mazda 6 and 3 only gives 2 stars overall! I'm surprised they only give the 3 2 stars overall since I think its best in class(or one of the best.) I hope Mazda is able to do on future JD Power surveys like they do in CR.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I bought a 2004 Mazda 3 at the auction for a customer Friday, it had 81,000 miles on it, and was amazingly strong and competent for its age. It drove like a new car, had no rattles or squeaks, even over bad roads. Must say, I was very impressed with how it had held up in every way. If Mazda is building them that well, their future should be secure. Plus, they have a sportiness and style to them. The Zoom Zoom thing seems to be real, and if they continue to bring out new attractive product like they have done since 04, they should be great. I'd rather have a Mazda 6 than a Camry, and would rather pay the price for one than get an Accord.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I like their cars. Different, innovative, good handling. Heck, even Mazda's SUVs are pretty interesting! Honda/Acura has gotten bigger, bloated, more floaty. Look at the new Accord. Look at what has happened to the TSX and TL.

My prediction is that Mazda is on a roll and will steadily increase market share.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Good to see this topic back among the living.

I agree with you. As Honda porks up Mazda looks better and better.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    So who here likes the huge smiley face the new 3 has, and who prefers the old look better?

I agree, Mazda has the product line to go far in the future. What they should have a plan of constant incremental improvement of is the production capacity and the dealer network. If they had as many standalone stores and as much plant capacity as the Japanese Big 3 do, they could rival them for sales I'm sure. At the very least I'm sure they would take sales from Honda, probably Nissan too.

I know you don't get Big 3-size production and dealer network overnight, but they should be gradually ramping up, not sitting pat as they appear to be doing on that front.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Judging only by the photos, it seems a bit much. Probably looks ok in person.

I'm waiting for an aftermarket shop to sell a set of teeth to stick in there; maybe with one missing as a Dukes of Hazzard homage.

Did the designers copy our Emotorcon? :D
    Yes, I think they did! :-P

And I HAVE seen it in person, which doesn't improve the looks. At least they didn't change anything on the exterior a lot, it was just a little. But boy does that gaping maw at the front need teeth.....ANYTHING to close the gap a bit.

Will this company ever update the RX8 in more than a cosmetic way?

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Honda/Acura has gotten bigger, bloated, more floaty.

It seems Mazda has as well, at least in the case of the new 6. They also seem to have a thing for annoying smiley faces.
    I could do without the smiley faces for sure!

The 6 got bigger but it had always been smaller than the Accord or Camry which always showed up in reviews. I liked the last generation 6 and was sorry to see the wagon go.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    So who here likes the huge smiley face the new 3 has, and who prefers the old look better?

I sort of agree, but you know how you get used to things after a while. I know the current CRV was widely denounced for its front end, and it is the best selling SUV in the US.

I also figured if I ever got a new Mazda 3 that I would get black, so the smile would be less obvious. :P
    Will this company ever update the RX8 in more than a cosmetic way?

Coincidentally, I just bought an RX8 yesterday for a friend, and will transfer it to him on Friday. Meanwhile, I bought it in another town, and picked it up and drove it here. I like the looks of the car, and it's comfortable and well appointed. Even has held up for 5 years well, but for the life of me, I hate how it drives in anything but a high speed mode.....I'd much rather have a Mazda 3 for around town. The rotary is noisy, has no low end grunt, and really no power until you hit about 5000 rpm, which is a lot, even for a rotary..... I just don't get the car. But I like Mazda.
    Yeah, I am at the point where I no longer look at the current generation Camry and say "what the heck were they thinking"? so I guess you can get used to anything...

It will take a bit more to get used to the current Accord. By comparison the current 6 is fine.
    Yeah, I am at the point where I no longer look at the current generation Camry and say "what the heck were they thinking"? so I guess you can get used to anything...

It will take a bit more to get used to the current Accord. By comparison the current 6 is fine.

Back to my disappointment in Honda -- I always thought the Accords were better looking than the Camrys. With the current generation I actually think the opposite. The Accord coupe is attractive but the sedan is not IMHO. Not overly ugly, just not attractive. The Mazda 6 is much nicer looking. The new 3 is ok but is growing on me. We own a Mazda 5 and I am very impressed at the handling and utility for the price. We had considered the CRV but did not feel it was worth 5K more for the same size, mileage, and features as the Mazda 5. The Mazda 5 handles much better; its steering is actually a lot better than my 2005 Acura TL.
    Yeah, the Accord coupe is OK but the sedan just doesn't do it. Too big in the back which is odd because the trunk size is the same as it's always been.

It's not horribly unattractive but it isn't attractive either.
    We own a Mazda 5 and I am very impressed at the handling and utility for the price. We had considered the CRV but did not feel it was worth 5K more for the same size, mileage, and features as the Mazda 5.

This kind of sums up my feelings about Honda/Mazda too. The Mazda is a better Honda for the money.......
  • codybanecodybane Member Posts: 1
    "The rotary is noisy, has no low end grunt, and really no power until you hit about 5000 rpm, which is a lot, even for a rotary..... I just don't get the car. But I like Mazda."

I haven't driven an rx-8 so I don't know how noisy they are but my old RX-7 isn't very noisy. You notice power spikes at about 2.5k and 5k rpm with the old 1st gen models.

The point of the Rotary is that you can rev the crap out of it. How many other sedan's out there can pull 9k rpm? It'll probably do 11 without harm as long as you don't hold it up there for more than 5-10 seconds. They're really meant to be driven in that high rpm range and they're built to be pushed. Because you have higher torque at those high rpm's you really shouldn't be wasting much more gas by driving more aggressive compared to other vehicles.

However.. the latest Rotary research from Mazda has them changing the shape of the engine chamber slightly and the result is an increase in low end torque and possibly fuel economy.

So try one again in the next year or two.

As for handling, I don't know about the RX-8 but any model RX-7 is a dream to handle at any speed over 10km/h.
    As for handling, I don't know about the RX-8 but any model RX-7 is a dream to handle at any speed over 10km/h.

I agree with you on the handling, it's pure sports, and the faster and harder you drive it, the better you like it. Clearly, it's a performance car, not an in-town cruiser and with that in mind, it would be a great car.
    ...are Mazda 3, 6, and 5, in that order.

Surprising that the 5 outsells the CX-7 and CX-9. Why does the CX-7 sell so poorly?
    I think I agree on your order. I really like the Miata but I think of that as its own little class of car.
    Price?

Base MSRP of CX-7 is $5K above a 6. Excluding the B-truck, the 3, 5, and 6 are the lowest priced Mazda models
    The CX-7 has TONS of competition too. Lots of better-known brands make well-liked small crossovers, starting with Ford, Honda, and Toyota. Mazda just doesn't have the name appeal, and the CX-7 doesn't particularly stand out in its class.

I have noticed in my area Rogue got off to a strong start, does that one also outsell CX-7?

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I've had a real love-hate relationship with my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. I bought it to use as my daily driver as well as my primary track rat. At 25,000 miles it needed a LF strut and at @26,000 miles the turbo went south. Both were replaced under warranty. My selling/servicing dealer (Kings Mazda, Cincinnati) has been great, the only problem being that I live just outside of Louisville, KY-@100 miles away(the Louisville dealers lost my business because of ridiculous ADM stickers, their policy of no test drives without a buyers order, and the fact that none of their parts or service personnel have developed opposable thumbs). The car has been reliable over the past 12,000 miles and it isn't a bad drive, but I think my next car will be one that has decent dealer support in the Louisville area.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The CX-7 has TONS of competition too. Lots of better-known brands make well-liked small crossovers, starting with Ford, Honda, and Toyota. Mazda just doesn't have the name appeal, and the CX-7 doesn't particularly stand out in its class.

This highlights what IMO is the BIGGEST problem that Mazda has here in the US: No advertising budget. I see more ads for the local Mazda car dealer than I do from Mazda themselves, and that's sad.

I fully understand that they're a smaller car company compared to Honda and Toyota, but Hyundai was smaller than Mazda at one time, and IIRC they had spent a good amount of $$$$ in advertising when they first started out, which has continued to today, hence the reason why they now sell more than Mazda, and are still growing.

I fully believe that is Mazda threw some $$$$ at advertising, they'd become a blip on the radar of the casual car buyer, and although Mazda isn't for everyone, there are still plenty of potential buyers that want a little fun while getting a great deal on a vehicle, whether they're looking for a subcompact (Mazda3), a sport sedan (Mazda6), or a crossover (CX-7, CX-9).

Mazda is more than rotaries and Miatas, and it's time that the US car-buyer knows about it!
    the Louisville dealers lost my business because of ridiculous ADM stickers, their policy of no test drives without a buyers order, and the fact that none of their parts or service personnel have developed opposable thumbs.

But tell us how you REALLY feel about them....
    But tell us how you REALLY feel about them....

I know, I need to start learning to express my true feelings... ;)
    The last straw was when I stopped by Oxmoor Mazda to pick up some front pads; they wanted $50 over MSRP- or $100 more than what a couple of online Mazda dealers wanted. Before that I had called Neil Huffman Mazda and asked if they had my color of touch-up paint. The reply from the parts guy?
    "We don't carry none o' that kinda stuff."
    Reassuring, no?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

The Mazda dealer network really leaves a lot to be desired, yes. I am torn as to whether they should plow a bunch of money into advertising their cars, or if it wouldn't be better spent upgrading their dealers and setting new standards for them.

All three Mazda dealerships in my area seem just fine, as far as I can tell. I've dealt with two of them a bit, not so much with the third.

Others say similar things about VW dealerships, but again my dealings with those in my area have been just fine.

Maybe we just have good dealers in my area in general, or I am easy to satisfy (I don't think I am).
    Just going on shopping our local guys since I haven't bought from either but the VW guy was great and quite reasonable and the Mazda guy was a shark. Since that experience the VW place burned down and the Mazda franchise went from the Lincoln Mercury dealership to the Chevy place so all bets are off.
    I've only been to the Mazda dealer ONCE in 43K miles on our Mazda 5 since we bought it, and the dealer seemed ok. That's one of the reasons I won't buy a VW any more even though I like their cars - I had terrible service experiences.
    That's one of the reasons I won't buy a VW any more even though I like their cars - I had terrible service experiences.

You are not alone - almost a universal statement.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2010
    "Ford seems to be more than symbolically distancing from Mazda if the plan takes place to reduce its ownership from today's 11 percent to less than three percent and would leave Mazda with no significant tie-ups with a larger automaker. "

Will Mazda Try to be the New Honda? (AutoObserver)

"While the relationships do continue, we would envisage further divergence into the future as each manufacturer continues to develop their own products," commented Ford spokesman Don Hume.

Mazda, then, is pushing forward with its own "Building Block" strategy for future product development. That's to say, step-by-step introduction of new models and technology, using mostly its own resources."

With or Without Ford, Mazda Bets Its Future on Technological Makeover (AutoObserver)
    They have capacity at Flat Rock to build 100,000 Mazda6's per year, but there is currently only demand for 50,000. The Mazda bigwig that was being interviewed said he wasn't sure it was the best move to start production of a different model there because it would "hollow out Japan", and that mazda6 sales are down because midsize demand has declined.

I don't think it has declined that much! Toyota and Honda are still selling 250K Camcords per year, and Nissan and Ford are doing very nicely at the 150K mark with the Altima and Fusion. It's just that Mazda has little U.S. presence, a small dealer network, and not much in the way of an advertising budget, not to mention the 6's underwhelming redesign.

The next-gen rotary is stalled. But the big-smiley-face 3 just keeps selling like hotcakes.

And somehow they want to turn that into 400K sales per year by 2015 (double the current rate) in the U.S.?? I just don't see it happening. This "SkyActiv" program to reduce weight and improve fuel economy doesn't look any more promising than the new fuel efficiency programs of any of the major automakers.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Well, since I bought a Mazda5 several months ago that I pretty much love, I would like Mazda to succeed. I think they need to keep their sporty character, and enhance that. My Mazda5--at least compared to other minivans--drives like a little sports sedan/station wagon. I like the platform a lot. Nice shifting manual transmissions. As other makers abandon that, Mazda could be the place for sporty, economical vehicles.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    they do have a loyal following. I think a big part of surviving is how strong they are at home, and if they keep things modest. Some of the makers that die are ones that try to grow too much, and get in over their head.

mazda might be in that sweet spot like Subaru that they can keep up steady sales as long as they have interesting product to sell, and don't try to get too big (or cater to mass market tastes).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• dewey11dewey11 Member Posts: 11
    What you think the ford edge is it a mazda.My wife had a cx7 that 4 banger really got up.She loved it untill I told her it was a truck.She went back to Toyota camry,but a car will ride better than a suv.That 4 banger T will smoke a 6 cyclender 4runner.ask my son.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    the Edge is not a mazda, and the CX7 is not a truck. basically it is a slightly jacked up station wagon (or hatchback if that makes you feel better). But it is 100% on a car platform.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Mazda to Unveil Compact SUV Concept in March

Great looking concept IMO. Sounds like it will be all new and not based on the Escape this time around. :D
    What's that going to be, the CX-5?! I'm bored of Mazda's silly model names made up of letters.

And since Ford sold a gazillion Escapes annually and Mazda managed to sell like a dozen Tributes, despite being almost the identical car, I wonder how they are going to do better with this thing, which does admittedly look pretty good from the outside.

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    The Tribute sold pretty well when it came out actually. It's the fact that it's a 10 year old design is why sales have faltered. Plus, the refresh in 2006 (I think) kinda dumbed down the looks from the sharp looking (IMO) original.

If Mazda applies the same formula to this new CUV as they did with the M3 then it could be pretty fun to drive, especially if they take the same approach to the segment as they did with the M5 sportvan (balanced chassis, manual tranny!).
    One reason the Escape sells so much better is the ease of finding Ford dealers vs. Mazda dealers.

I'm in a county of more than half a million people and for several years we didn't have a Mazda dealer. There's one that opened up in the past year.
    edited January 2011
    I'm in a county of more than half a million people and for several years we didn't have a Mazda dealer. There's one that opened up in the past year.

The problem is, even when a Mazda dealer is nearby they often suck.
    Hard.
    Ask me how I know...:mad:

I can take a guess.....
    On the bright side there is an indie shop in Louisville that is run by some Mazda techs; they do really outstanding work at a reasonable price.