Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner Accessories

Comments

• Options
    yotasmoayotasmoa Member Posts: 6
    Yes it does get better gas milage a WHOPPING 2 whole mpg better. And the key word is feels. Did you consinder resale value on the V6 and V8? I didn't think so, The V8 is and has a higher resale value than the 6 banger. I know you probably won't agree with me so call your dealer and ask. (apples to apples.) The suspension on the Sport rocks over the SR5 on road and off. I made sure and put them both through the "drive it like you stole it tests." They are both sweet rides and you can't go wrong with ither one. I am looking for blue bulbs for my front low beams, anyone with info please contact me. Has anyone put differ tires and wheels on the 2005 4Runner? I have yet to see any that looks sharp.
  • Options
    yotasmoayotasmoa Member Posts: 6
    I would like to find where I can get true blue bulbs for my low beams that appear similar to a new Audi/Lexus front lights. If anyone has pics. with after market wheels and tires I would like to check them out I've yet to see any that look sharp. Thanks for any info. 2005 Sport V8- or any acessories that dress it up inside or out. Web sites,brands and prices would be swell.
  • Options
    firehawk0212firehawk0212 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Borla exhaust on E-bay for 529.00 plus shipping. Installation at Midas was 264.00. Much improved exhaust note.
  • Options
    sgtpepsgtpep Member Posts: 1
    I really like the 2005 Sport V8. Only "big" problem is it does NOT come with POWER SEATS, LEATHER, auto-dimming mirror. I do not really want to spend another $6000 for the Limited V8...plus I rather put in my own stereo.

Does anyone know if there are aftermaket installations for POWER SEATS?
    Can I install auto dimming mirror aftermarket also?
    I live in the NE.

Dealer trying to clear inventory, so cannot add or remove option.

thanks
  • Options
    cub2000cub2000 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Lukeg,
    Can you please repost the picture of the WAAG guard? I'd like to know if it was a grilled guard or center guard.
    Thanks,
    Lucas
  • Options
    rbarry01rbarry01 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 4runner the grill is PLASTIC . I installed a nose guard and I had to take it out(the grill) to bolt to the hood,better if you have two people. To purchase the part go to "search"TOYOTA DISCOUNT PARTS. There are Toyota dealers there that costs less ,but you may want to call the phone number on their listing vs e mail,OR look in most car mag's ie: car and driver etc, back of most car mag's
  • Options
    talon2talon2 Member Posts: 1
    In reply to adding leather seats to you 05 Sport. I installed them from the dealer for a little over 2K. Expensive but still lower than 8k.
  • Options
    jstonejstone Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know or have installed the cd changer ? 05 sport only comes with single cd. Not sure if the changer offered by toyota plays mps cds as well. Or If any after market ones are compatible with the existing system.
  • Options
    snodivasnodiva Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where to purchase the fisheye bumper mirrors that can be put on the inside upper rear corners? Where the speakers are. The new 2005 SR5 has them. I have a 2004 ltd 4runner and would like to add the mirrors to the back.
  • Options
    jonesbassetsjonesbassets Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Toyota 6-cd in-dash JBL stereo can be installed in place of the single CD JBL stereo? We just bought a 2005 4Runner Sport and I really wanted the RDS feature and the salesperson told us that the only difference between the 2 stereo systems was the CD capacity. Not so - the RDS only comes on the 6-CD system. So we are trying our best to get an answer from the dealership but they are clueless - they say that the 6-CD system has an amp or something and the wiring will not be compatible? Are they just trying to avoid doing this or is this really a problem?
  • Options
    plat4runnerplat4runner Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you can have the 115v AC power outlet option added to 05 Sports Edition? Its offered as an option from the factory. It would be very nice to have an extra power outlet up front. (Cell phones/DVD players, etc)
  • Options
    timbo2timbo2 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where is best to mount an electronic brake assembly for towing? there doesn't appear to be much room under the dash, and under dash cowling is quite flimsy.

hmmmm....you'd think when rigging out the 4R to tow 5,000lbs, they'd have thought of electonic brakes. maybe even factory installed one, or at least available as an option.
  • Options
    freaking102freaking102 Member Posts: 11
    Anybody know a good source for mudflaps that fit well with the body -- for use after the running boards are removed? This is for a 2005 4Runner, need something that works aesthetically, but protects the rockers, lower body from flying debris.
  • Options
    jcrunnerjcrunner Member Posts: 1
    I have an eclipse avn5435 installed on 04 SR5 V8. Plays mp3 (over 100 songs), navi, local tv, dvd movies for $2000 installed. Worth the money if you are planning to keep the SUV plus 10 years.
  • Options
    bm196bm196 Member Posts: 6
    If you have the parcel shelf, you don't get the hooks which are part of the interior rear wheels covers. But--it looks like the compartment where the parcel shelf locks on the wheel covers is removeable, to allow for replacement with the hooks--if you don't want to use the shelf or lock it down. Anybody find the replacement hooks anywhere? Part numbers?
  • Options
    gurgs24gurgs24 Member Posts: 10
    I am trying to decide between getting a rear hitch bike rack or a roof mount rack to go on the factory rails to haul a couple of mountain bikes to the trails with my 05 4Runner. What do people think the best option is?

I own a trunk mount Saris rack right now that I used with my car which worked reasonable well, but when loaded with more than two bikes they would bump into each other and get scratched. Wondering if people have better luck keeping them apart with hitch mount racks.

I am 5'11" and reasonable fit so I don't think I would have too much trouble loading them on and off the roof rack, but I haven't ever tried so I don't know I guess. Also do the Yakima and Thule attachements they sell to adapt to the factory rack work pretty well? Also keep reading horror stories about how people forget the bikes are up there and crunching them. Definitely don't want to do that.

I guess I am not looking for the for the pros and cons of each because I found those in my research already, but just people's experiences with them and their utility. Thanks.
  • Options
    pgh1pgh1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 SR5 V6 without the JBL audio.
    Did you replace the factory stereo? I checked the same model in the Crutchfield. and they say it is completely unfit. SO what did you do.

If you can please tell me it will be really helpful

Thanks,
    PG
  • Options
    socal007socal007 Member Posts: 23
    Try Ebay or Scionlife, look for a Scion 6-disk, an easy swap & steering wheel controls still work. E-mail me I'll give you more details/info.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't apply to those w/ JBL system.
  • Options
    donnandydonnandy Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing the K&N cold air intake and changing the factory air filter system. Have anybody modified the factory air filter to a cold air intake value to the manifold? If yes, are there any suggestions or issues after installing it?
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I mounted mine to that plastic cowling it works fine. I tow about 4,500 lbs.
  • Options
    tripowertomtripowertom Member Posts: 7
    I installed the K&N "Aircharger" cold air intake (p/n 63-9023) on my '05 V6 Sport 4WD this past June. The kit was pretty straight forward to install, plan on a couple of hours, and looks good under the hood. Defineatly gives the truck a "throater" sound. K&N advertises a increase of 9hp or so at the rear wheels and improved gas mileage.....I havn't noticed the increased hp but I'm no a lead-foot. I am getting 20.5 mpg in mostly around town driving. I did save all of the factory parts I removed and the installation instructions.....just in case. I have had no problems at all since the installation. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    Anyone know if a key fob from a 2003 4runner can be programmed to work on a 2005?

I have a 2005 but picked up two fobs on ebay that are from a 2003. They are new and have not been programmed, however, I noticed that the FCC ID numbers are different.

Before I pay the dealer to try to program them, Im wondering if this is the determining factor, or if the car will recognize multiple fob signals.

Thanks,
    Brian
  • Options
    Hi there -
    Being that you have an SUV, I would go with a rear hitch mount system. The car is high enough, and then to have to throw your bike on top is a bit of a hassle. My friend does this with his Lexus SUV, and its a bit of a joke. Especially if you go riding with short people, you are the one who is always loading/unloading the bikes. Not to mention the stories I have heard about people forgetting about the bikes on top of the car and they "TRY" to go into a drivethrough or park in the garage.

I would suggest going with a rear hatch rack that folds down to allow access to the tailgate. It truly is the most convenient. This is what I have had for my past two 4runners and it is great. In fact, I picked up a new rack this summer at Costco for $140 (it was a Softride rack that held 4 bikes and lowered effortlessly). I doubt they still have them since its a summer item, but I would look around. I chose a fold-down rack over the swing type. Also, my bike rack "arms" come off so its not sticking out when not in use. As a side note - I prefer the HOLLYWOOD racks over the Thule/Yakima bc their arms fold down when not in use.

Hope this helps

Brian
  • Options
    I remember seeing cargo liners that worked with the shelf installed on EBAY. Do a search under 4runner cargo liner and it should come up.
  • Options
    Hi -
    I have a 2005 Limited with NAV but would love to upgrade the sysyem to play MP3's, local TV and DVD's. Where did you find this, and did you already have NAV installed on your car? And do the steering wheel controls still work? Seems like a decent upgrade.

Thanks
  • Options
    witchdoctorwitchdoctor Member Posts: 9
    I have an 05 LTD w.shelf system. I leave the shelf in down position and leave liner on top - works and looks fine.
  • Options
    brodertrbrodertr Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a remote starter for my wife's '04 LTD. A few Q's about your experience... did you install it yourself? thru a local shop (auto audio, electronics, etc)? Any special harnesses or security over-ride issues? Did you shop any other brands than DTI?

Thx for the info
    brodertr
  • Options
    socalpb3socalpb3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 sports edition and I'm installing a sirius starmate. Has anyone installed a satallite radio in the area below the air/heat controls. There area where the compartment opens. Any other suggestions. Also can I hook up the satallite radio directly to the stock stereo or do I have to have the 6 disc changer.
  • Options
    peiomipeiomi Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone purchased the OEM rubber floor mats? Also, and discounts out there other than dealer retail?
  • Options
    tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    Yes, I have purchased them. They are great. Ocassionally some dealers will have 20% off on them. So they end up a little less than $100.
  • Options
    bkbynumbkbynum Member Posts: 8
    Are the OEM rubber floor mats available in stone -- or are they black only. I have seen two different types of rubber OEM floor mats at two different dealerships. One said there was a 'new' and an 'old' style. One seems to have thicker, deeper channels for mud/slush (the black only ones). The ones available in stone are much thinnner and plastic-like. Don't seem worth the $99.

THanks!
  • Options
    undecided1234undecided1234 Member Posts: 4
    have a 2005 limited 4 runner with navigation and JBL stereo. does not have auxillary input for ipod. tried wireless FM transmitter but sound quality is very bad at times. anybody know a better way of connecting my ipod to my car stereo. thanks for your help.
  • Options
    gostrosgostros Member Posts: 10
    try monster's FM transmitter. i've heard there's no static disruption.

otherwise, you could have an FM transmitter installed, so that your ipod plugs into a wire, which is connected to your console and transmits a signal to your antenna, which is manifested through your stero speakers.
  • Options
    naberbrnaberbr Member Posts: 1
    Here's a sight that has what your looking for. A bit pricy, but for a direct connection and great sound, What the heck!

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html
  • Options
    grahmmgrahmm Member Posts: 28
    I found & installed some very heavy duty floor mats (Costco) in my 2005 SR5 and found them to work extremely well. Cost was only $19.95 and available in light brown and charcoal. If you have no aversion to a floor mat that does not say 4 Runner on it this will work as well as the factory (in fact the surface to catch debris is greater). I did trim a little from the upper left corner for a better fit on drivers side to accomodate the drivers foot rest. The label said each will hold 2 1/2 qt of liquid and we just went to slushy snow area and the mats saved the carpet. Might wnat to check out if not hung up about factory label. Good luck.
  • Options
    robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    What is the widest floor mats you can get? Ones I have seen look narrow.
  • Options
    grahmmgrahmm Member Posts: 28
    The one's I got did not have an option of sizes but pretty much go wall to wall. If they were any wider they would have been too wide so, for me, the fit seems just right.
  • Options
    psoasminorpsoasminor Member Posts: 1
    instead of just having 2 things to carry. i just want one.

anyone know if you can use a lexus key cut to fit a 4runner? or a place to buy a remote transmitter and key combo type key.
    or can you just slip in a toyota key in one those nifty vw keys?
  • Options
    tlttlt Member Posts: 2
    I am leaning towards buying the 2006 SR5 4wd 4Runner, but I would like to have the X-REAS suspension. Is it worth the extra money to buy the Sports Edition just to get the REAS?

Also, what are the advantages of larger wheels - 17 inch -- for both onroad and offroad driving? I don't care about the appearance.

Thanks.
    TLT
  • Options
    My 06 SR5 has 17" 5 spoke wheels. Don't know if this info is accurate or not but someone told me the bigger the wheels the better the gas milage.
  • Options
    jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Larger wheels onroad will provide better handling, but a slightly less cushy ride. Offroad it will only give you less rubber between the ground and the rim, but unless you are doing serious offroading, it shouldn't be and issue.

The more rubber you have, the cushier the ride, the less rubber, the more precise the handling will be.

Regarding X-REAS, I would suggest to just drive both vehicles and see which you like. By getting the Sport, you aren't just getting the REAS as an add-on, you are getting the extra options here and there, and as you mentioned larger rims, and larger brakes ( which can't fit with 16" rims ).

Good luck.
  • Options
    We ended up getting the weathertech floor and cargo liners. They fit perfect and covered the edges all around to the max. Color matched perfect and is the nicest looking floor liners I have ever seen. The company has developed the liner for the second row that goes all the way across including the hump. We also ordered that and only had to pay 15 shipping for the whole thing. The second row can be ordered in about a month and will match the front ones. The cargo liner is also the right style we were looking for and also covers the sides nicely.

Another item we discovered was the standard Toyota hitch cover. It is very stylish and will keep the inside of the hitch from rusting. Fits snugly and is a rubber like material. Looks much nicer than the one the dealership had on.
  • Options
    Considering adding a rear spoiler to my 06 SR5. I noticed a 4 runner today that had their rear braking light on the spoiler. With my rear top braking light on the vehicle is it possible to add a spoiler?

If so, is it possible the screws used could rust from water penetration between the spoiler and vehicle?
  • Options
    mminkousmminkous Member Posts: 6
    Hi folks,

I have a 2005 4R LTD with navi.
    I plan to add an overhead DVD player and a local TV tuner. Is Alpine a good choice?
    Also, is there a way to make the stock navigation screen also accept outside inputs to act as a regular display??

Thanks much!
  • Options
    mminkousmminkous Member Posts: 6
    I found that Weathertech gives a PERFECT fit for the front, while Xtreme does it perfectly for the second row. The colors matched very very well across manufacturers. This mix-and-match worked perfectly for me.
  • Options
    corrwtchcorrwtch Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find towing mirrors for your 04 4Runner? I have the same problem with my 04 4Runner Limited. Seems like there is not a lot of selection to pick from.
  • Options
    gostrosgostros Member Posts: 10
    hey guys, i'm sure this has been discussed before, but searching the archives is proving difficult and new products might have been developed since the last time this was discussed.

I am preparing to purchase a hitch rack that carries 4 bicycles for my 4Runner. Due to cost, I am not going to purchase the rack that holds the bikes by the tires, but the one that supports the frame. I believe that I have a 2 inch hitch.

Yak and Thule seem to be the most popular brands.

1. Do I need a rack that swings out (sideways) or one that leans forward in order to be able to open the tailgate while loaded with bikes?

2. Which version of each brand is the most durable (i.e. more metal than plastic)?

3. Are there any other brands that you guys would recommend.

4. What is the weight rating of the 4Runner's hitch?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    smalldogsmalldog Member Posts: 1
    Last night, my fiance and I bought a 2006 4Runner SR5. I am trading-in my 2005 Nissan 350Z roadster as part of the deal.

I am removing the stereo from my 350Z which is double din Pioneer AVIC-D1 navigation unit, along w/ the XM radio module, and I want to put it into the ner car.

My question is this.. Can it be done? I checked on Crutchfield and it says it can't be done, but does anyone know if the car an accomodate an double din sized head unit? I don't want to buy a unit with a flip up screen because that would just look cheezy (IMO)

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
  • Options
    indian5indian5 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings from Chicago. I just purchased an '06 4Runner sport, however, it did not come with the chromatic mirror which also has the thermometer built in. According to the dealer, you need to have a special winshield in order to install the OEM chromatic mirror. Does this sound right to you? How difficult was it to install and how much was it? How did you run power to the mirror? Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    why would anyone want to remove the running boards? I have the lighted ones, which I really like and would not remove.
This discussion has been closed.