Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• kentbrockman37kentbrockman37 Member Posts: 4
    Hey all. I've had the 2007 MDX for a few months and really only have one complaint....It frequently pulls (in both directions), so much so it's almost dangerous.
    I've had it into the dealership multiple times, they've checked the alignment, tire pressure etc but can't seem to find an answer. One possibility offered was that since I upgraded to the 19 inch wheels, the tires are more aggressive and the walls are smaller, making bumps and imperfections in the road more of an issue. However, I find if there is even the slightest imperfection in the road the steering wheel is almost jumping out of my hands. Anyone else experiencing this, especially with the 19" wheels? Any suggestions or ideas?
  • koho955koho955 Member Posts: 97
    With 2,000 miles on my 07 MDX I also have this problem. The dealer was able to stop the car from pulling to the left or right but as you pointed out...the steering at highway speeds is dangerous and a ton of work to drive. I just drove from Chicago to Milwaukee at night with no wind and I am so bummed at how hard I had to work to keep the car going straight without constant correction. The steering reminds me of the power steering on the early 1970's american cars. I have no complaints about the MDX steering at the lower speeds around town. I think I am learning about what happens when you buy a "first year" release.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I don't own a MDX (but I am interested in it).
    I would like to offer two guesses:
    1) aggressive tires: some tires have more tendency to follow gaps and seams on the road. This is especially true for tires with wide center channels.
    2) the new MDX might need a bit of toe-in to follow straight-line better. Usually 1 degree is normal and sufficient. Ask your dealer for the recommended setting from Acura.
  • selborneselborne Member Posts: 4
    Must be an alignment issue.. I have around 5000 miles on my 07', including about 2000 on the highway. Car is a joy to drive. :confuse:
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I have already put on 6,500 miles on mine and still find it a joy to drive!
    I guess I need to bring mine in for service to see if they can "tighten up" the steering at highway speeds. I hope it can be solved because it is a ton of work to drive at highway speeds and I have a 3 year lease.
  • kentbrockman37kentbrockman37 Member Posts: 4
    I also initially assumed it was an alignment issue, but after repeated visits to the dealership and checking the alignment each time, they've concluded "the alignment is fine". Still wondering if the 19" wheels could be an issue. I've also heard that the tires on the 19's are pretty terrible in the snow and rain because they're of the summer/performance nature and an all-season is not currently available through acura. I think I'm going to try to switch tires to a less aggresive, all-season (recommended by acura or not :( )and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the ideas, if anyone else has a solution I'd be happy to hear some thoughts!
  • manmountainmanmountain Member Posts: 44
    This all sounds like shades of 'harmonic vibration' that the TLs have been dogged by since introduction in 04. I test drove a MDX with standard wheels yesterday for about an hour including 70 mph grooved pavement, dirt tracks and snow covered side roads. I didn't notice any pulling as described by ceric and kentb but the steering was noticeably heavy, especially compared with my 04 TL and 99 Tahoe. It wasn't dangerous or tiring but it was a noticeably change from the other vehicles. Has anyone else experienced pulling, etc? I really don't want to go through another 6 months of trying to resolve a harmonic vibration type of problem.
    I have just come across this TSB ~ maybe it'd be helpful:
    http://alldata.com/tsb/Acura/1168588800000_1169452800000_06-034/index.html

It covers all 99-07 vehicles. Good luck!
  • justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    I now have almost 1000 miles on my 07 MDX and have not experienced any pulling, etc. I usually drive using one hand lightly on the steering wheel and although I do find 07 MDX steering to be heavier as compared to my Camry (which I would say is very light), I am still able to navigate without any problems. I would have liked the steering to be a bit lighter on lower speeds though, but is is perfect for freeway speeds.
  • spektrespektre Member Posts: 80
    similar situation here: No pulling, about 4000 miles, wishing for a bit more boost in the parking lots... and still enjoying my MDX! :shades:
    Thanks, everyone, that is good to know. I notice that the material on the MDX describes the steering as being variable torque (or something like that). Does anyone know if that means it's potentially adjustable, eg, could the dealer adjust for more boost?
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    I test drove a 2007 MDX with the 19" wheels and it rode quite rough and pulled to the right. I purchased an MDX with the standard wheels and it rides smoothly and no pull in either direction. Gas mileage registered 20.4 on the 100 mile trip from dealer to home. It has now settled to about 18MPG here in the Orlando, FL area. Am very pleased with the car.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Speed sensitive power steering adjusts boost depending on speed. I don't think your dealer can adjust the boost.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    With the MDX, the steering is actually torque-sensing rather than speed-sensing. Torque-sensing works off of the engine rpm, rather than the vehicle speed.

End result is more or less the same. And I agree that a dealer isn't likely to mess with it.
    I thought torque-sensing was more of a function of the DBW system, as opposed to power steering system itself.
    Not quite sure what you meant when you wrote, "a function of the DBW system". Are you suggesting the term torque-sensing steering refers to manipulating the throttle rather than the steering? That would be incorrect.

In don't have a link handy, so read up on the 2nd gen TL and TL-S. The base model used a speed-sensing design, while the Type S got torque-sensing. With a little digging, you may find a better explanation of the difference between the two designs.
    I agree with you about the tires. I have the base model MDX with the Goodyear tires on it. The steering at highway speed is horrible and a ton of work not to mention a rough ride all the time. I just had a dealer loaner for 2 days that was loaded with the Michelin tires on it. What a difference! Great steering and a much smoother ride. I can't beleive that Acura put the Goodyear tires on their cars to save $25 per tire. AMAZING TO SAY THE LEAST!
    I tried finding out information on torque-sensing part of variable assist steering but most of the returns were related to patents. TL (including base) apparently has torque-sensing variable assist steering as does MDX. But no details on how it helps. RL uses speed sensing variable assist system.

Regardless, it is highly unlikely that people looking to reduce assist at lower speeds will get any help at dealerships. It’s a part of the design (greater assist at lower speeds, and reduced assist at high speeds).
    Yes, the current TL and TL-S both use torque-sensing. It was the second generation of the TL that used speed-sensing on the base models. In 2002, the TL-S got torque-sensing, while the base remained speed-sensing.

Unfortunately, Acura's media site doesn't provide much detail. This is all that has to say on the subject.

The 3.2 TL features a speed-sensitive, variable power assist system designed to complement the model's handling characteristics.

By varying the amount of power assist according to vehicle speed, the system provides light steering effort during low-speed parking maneuvers and, as vehicle speed builds, progressively heavier steering effort for a positive and secure feel.

The TL Type-S is equipped with an exclusive sport-tuned, power steering system (similar to the CL Type-S). The Type-S uses a torque-sensing rotary valve steering gear that varies the amount of assist according to steering input and the resultant torque generated between the pavement and tire. The system also varies assist based on engine speed, helping make steering light in parking maneuvers and heavier as speed increases for enhanced road feel.

Might be a good question for Shawn.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    Because I want to know the difference in light offroading without the Differential Lock button that the old model had. Is the new one as adaptable like the old one?
    With VTM-4 as in the old model, lock button was to engage all wheels upto 18 mph. With SH-AWD, the button is unnecessary since all wheels are engaged at all times anyway.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Have an '04 and '07 and the former is much better w/ "light offroading" and in deep snow ( just got two feet of it) The '04 will go anywhere I need to go, not so sure about the '07. That being said, the '07 is light years ahead of the previous gen. in everything else.
    Ditto that. At least in theory.

The "lock" feature available with VTM4 not only locked the torque output 50/50 fore and aft, it also locked the rear axle half-shafts in a 50/50 spread. While this is something you would never want to happen on dry pavement, it does give the vehicle an advantage on slick or loose surfaces.

On old-school "four-by-fours", they would add devices known as lockers for the same reason. Here's an example of an air-powered locker.

SH-AWD can send power left and right between the rear axles, but I've read nothing which suggests the system is programmed to lock the rear half-shafts when one side slips. It is far more likely the VSA system will instead clamp on a slipping wheel using the brakes. That action send power back across the differential to the wheel on the other side. If that other wheel starts slipping, VSA will reduce power from the engine.

This combination of SH-AWD and VSA is very effective when the vehicle in on the road and has some momentum. It'll help keep you from hitting the guardrail. But at low speeds when climbing over rocks and such, it's just a likely to get you stuck.
  • tmcorsitmcorsi Member Posts: 1
    Looking for what monthly lease payment might be for dealers in Long Island area?? Any input appreciated.
    Paying taxes, tag, bank fee up front. -TC
    For Your lease your looking at about $650 - $700 per month for a 36 month, 0 down, 15K miles per year.
    Can anyone who has an 07 with the DVD entertainment system? Or anyone who knows how it works? let me know the following:

1. how many people can access different types of entertainment at one time, eg, is it two people in the back plus the front seat occupants?

2. can a front seat occupant use the headphones to listen to music either from a CD/DVD or radio (terrestrial or XM)?

3. will the system play home produced DVD's, eg, TV programs captured and burned?

Many thanks.
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a new car for my fiance and we've narrowed it down to two cars of which the new Acura MDX is one. We drove one with the tech pkg but we're also interested in the sport pkg. Does anyone have any feedback for me on it? The one we drove seemed very nice.
    Personally I much prefer the Sport over the plain Tech package ~ the improved handling in Sport mode and perforated leather-trimmed seats are well worth the addtional cost.
  • mdjaymdjay Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Is the 2007 MDX base suspension exactly the same as the Comfort mode in the sport model? Or is it somewhere between Comport and Sport mode?

Thanks
    Just beware...this SUV EATS GAS!
  • mdjaymdjay Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    we've trying to see if other than being perforated, is there any other difference between leather in the sport package vs. non-sport. We keep seeing that the sport has "premium full-grain" leather. Does non-sport have a different grade leather?

Thanks
    The base model suspension is somewhere between the Sport and Comfort settings on the Sport model. Everyone's opinion will vary, but most reviewers report that it's a fairly good compromise between the two.
    Yes, they have different grades of leather. Best to stop at a dealer and see for yourself before making a decision on that issue.
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    I didn't go for the sport since my concern is that the leather just collects dirt. Also the base suspension is already quite tight so this is not for everyone.

And yes, best to see for yourself and test drive both.
    Regarding gas consumption. It's normal for this size of SUV.
    I do get the rated EPA numbers.
  • fighterwsofighterwso Member Posts: 15
    Over 5000 miles on my 2007 MDX.
    Never reset the "B" odo --> 18.5 mpg.
  • spektrespektre Member Posts: 80
    Was driving our '07 last week after an ice storm. Trying to leave our neighborhood, basically WOULD NOT move due to all the systems involved in trying to prevent wheel spin, etc. Was actually pretty funny to watch.
    This may help some people save some "green". My complimentary XM subscription ran out last week and I had heard a while ago that there was a promotion called "winback" which you could mention when you go to renew it and you would be charged $77 a year. It is still in effect as I just renewed today. There are other posts which outline the exact procedure to follow so I won't repeat them (search all posts for xm radio promotion). Has anyone found a better deal on xm service?
    Next time turn off the VSA. It really can hinder launching in slick conditions. Just make sure you re-engage after you get moving.

Not a whole lot about snow performance (other than one or two favorable remarks), but here's an article about SH-AWD on a track covered with ice and a few inches of snow for good measure. Props to Chas2 for finding it.

http://www.thestar.com/Wheels/article/187265
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    We had only 1" of snow and it performed without problems on that (no slipping, perfect traction).
    Didn't have a chance to try on tougher conditions but typically you want to have appropiate snow/traction tires in these conditions anyway (regardless of AWD).

Also turning off VSA can help a lot if it keeps blocking the tires and you don't gain any speed. Once you're moving it's safer to turn it on again.

You can see some sample fuel economy on truedelta.com. I do get the EPA numbers (16-17 in town, 21-24mpg on highway).
  • tonymdx07tonymdx07 Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2007 MDX with ENT/TECH. Have Michelin tires and have noticed no pulling. Car is a joy to drive! The car that I test drove was a sport model with the 19" tires and I noticed a lot of pulling to the right. Salesman unofficially said that he would not advise getting the 19" tires. Absolutely no pulling what so ever on my MDX with the Michelins. Could be coincidence but also might be, as others have said, the 19" tires.
  • jlingreenjlingreen Member Posts: 1
    I'm very interested in the 2007 MDX, but I live in Phoenix and needless to say, leather seats on a 115-degree day are not fun! Are the perforated leather seats on the sport model dramatically cooler (or at least bearable!) on hot summer days in the desert?
  • brauch15brauch15 Member Posts: 4
    A move that interested me on Acura's part was putting bordeaux leather (a shade of red/brown) in the new MDX, but not just making it a color option- they made it on such a low scale, it appeared, Acura didn't even post pictures of bordeaux on their website. Now, after seeing only one MDX with bordeaux leather, they have CANCELLED THE COLOR!!! Check the Acura website if you don't believe me, that being the soure of this information. I am truly stunned by this- does anyone own/are looking to buy a bordeaux leather interior MDX??? Why did they take out the color?
    Haven't had my '07 MDX long enough to encounter temps past 60 degrees. Had/have perforated leather in all my acuras, I don't think it makes much difference unless they are "cooled" which acura doesn't offer.
  • robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    I've noticed that when I push my 2007 MDX in the 80 mph plus range (interstate driving), that I'm getting some hood vibration. Have any other owners experienced this problem?
  • justg0justg0 Member Posts: 70
    No vibration on my 07 MDX, though I have done limited freeway driving in the 80 mph range so far.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    We have an '07 Sport/Ent, love it! The front and rear passengers can access two different entertainment sources (AM/FM/6CD/DVD/XM/Aux) if headphones are used in the rear. With additional headphones (around $70 each) you technically could have five using the rear transmitted signal (one per seat belt location) as the signal is broadcast toward the rear and number of headphone (receivers) has no impact on quality. Front seat occupants can't use the headphones because they're infrared line of sight and the overhead pod sits directly behind the first row on centerline. There is a detachable remote that controls a rear on screen menu, more friendly than controls offered on the front display or trying to decrypt the myriad of chiclet buttons and over used labels. To check the kids volume you while seated up front the best thing to do is put the headphones on backwards (R on L ear) and lean back so it picks up the signal. The DVD player does work with recordable media. I haven't played home movies but certainly use my copyright privilege of using a backup in the vehicle and locking up the original as the younger crowd can be rough on DVD's. I still like having the player slot up front versus it being overhead in row 2. System operation is nearly identical to our '06 Ody Touring so there was no learning curve. Enjoy!
  • tpo1tpo1 Member Posts: 8
    Bordeaux leather is still available on the Canadian site
    www.acura.ca
    The packages are different too. We just purchased an MDX and pick it up later this week.
    Thank you, Davant, for the information. I have a Yukon XL with rear entertainment and it's the same thing - the wireless headphones only work in the second and third rows. But it has jacks for wired phones at the rear of the front console and a separate tuner for the rear so a front seat passenger can listen to something different from the driver. Nice feature but it would have been handier if I could use the wireless phones in the front.
  • shopping4wheelshopping4wheel Member Posts: 1
    That makes sense! I have been shopping, and love this color, but had a hard time finding it. I just ordered one, and take delivery on friday. I hope i'm not disappointed in this color, i wanted something dark!
This discussion has been closed.